Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any questions for a Dodge Truck salesman??

trex99trex99 Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I am a Chrysler certified sales proffessional, and
specialize in individual and fleet truck sales, if
you have any questions or comments, please
......lets hear them!!!!!

Comments

• coloradocowboycoloradocowboy Member Posts: 6
    Hey thanks for asking. I had a item above "When is GM Going to Offer a Serious Diesel". I've gotten alot of advice to look at Ford F350 with the Powerstroke or Dodge 3500 Ram with the Cummins. I've driven both, and like both initially. But to be honest, I have heard alot of complaints about nit-picky problems with the Dodge and Ford both. I clearly want to buy a 1 ton dually truck, that I won't be taking back to the dealer for minor problems. I don't have the time or energy to deal with that. My current Chevy K1500 with the 5.7 Vortec is wonderful - 42K miles and not a problem. Only problem is this truck can't pull the size horse trailer I want to buy.

Has Dodge done anything to reduce the number of minor problems with the Ram series. Several people have also told me about automatic transmission problems with the 5.9 Cummins. I will be looking for an diesel with an automatic. What's Dodge's experience been with the 5.9 Cummins with an automatic....truthfully!

I love the looks of the Dodge, I think it is the best looking truck on the road. The next generation Dodge truck looks awesome too.

I'd appreciate some input on what Dodge's reliability is.

Thanks - A horse toting cowboy.
  • erickarterickart Member Posts: 5
    I was seriously thinking of buying a '99 Dakota Club Cab (5.2 V-8) in a month or so. All of the sudden I hear that the 5.2 litre is going to be replaced with a 4.8 litre V-8 that generates comprable power, but with improved gas milage. I have also heard that the 2000 Dakota will have 4 doors (a feature that I'd really like). Are these rumors accurate, and will the quad-cab configuration significantly raise the price over the present extended cab version? As much as I'd hate to, maybe I'd be better off postponing buying a Dakota 'till next fall. Thanks !!!!!!
  • carknockercarknocker Member Posts: 2
    I will be buying a 99 Dodge 2500 with cummins, what I am wondering is can I get the 2500 with the Long Bed/2wheel drive/quad cab in the sports package, also is the leather int. worth the extra money as far as comfort and durability is concerned
  • kingfish3kingfish3 Member Posts: 4
    Hey trex99:
    I was wondering, can the Dodge 1500 be ordered with a 360 engine and a manual transmission? What about the 318 engine and manual tranny?

Thanks, Kingfish3
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    Would you happen to know if Dodge has come up with any ideas about the molded splash guards with the tubular side steps? I have a quad cab with chrome tubular side steps. I want to install molded splash guards behind the front wheels to help protect the chrome and my truck. The molded splash guards won't work because the side steps extend too far into the wheel well. Is there something that has been done about this rather than install the flat, rubber splash guards?
  • goldrushgoldrush Member Posts: 20
    Is it true that Dodge is going to come out with a six speed manual trans soon?
    Is it true that Dodge will offer a six speed manual in January?
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    www.wheels.com shows the six speed on hold until 1/6/99. Rich
    Thank-you for the site info. It answered my question on the six speed. But I noticed that the limited slip is not available until March 99. Anyone know why?
  • trex99trex99 Member Posts: 61
    To: colorado cowboy....
    in response to your question...the Ram trucks equipped witht the Cummins turbo diesel has one difference between automatic trans and manual trans, and that is the injectors....they put out less fuel in the automatic to limit the power output on the automatic trans...there must have been a reason the engineers did this...although almost every one of my customers who purchase an automatic have the injectors changed to match the ones in the manual and I havent (as of yet) heard any complaints...also some of those take (both manual and auto's) theyre rigs to local fuel injection shops and have theyre engines "cranked up"....I hope that helps...T rex
    Carnocker....yes you can get that truck in a sports package....and as far as the leather goes...thats your call...I dont feel the price is all that terrible compared to durability...much easier to wipe up spills....but much colder to sit on in the winter and dont jump in there with shorts on in the summer!!! I have always been unsure about leather....cant decide myself...although I think its relly for those fancy sports cars myself....but in all fairness the leather package is not all that expensive...especially when you compare it to the rest of the price of the truck....if your even thinking about it then go for it cuz you wont be happy if you dont!!!!
    ****** note to all*******
    Due to menot wanting to go back and forth between 3 different screens here please feel free to post comments here and send questions to T__REX99@mailcity.com Thanks!!!
  • ffmedic87ffmedic87 Member Posts: 1
    In the past has dodge offered any rebates on the new years models and when have they been offered?

In short will any rebates or incentives be offered
    for 1999 model Ram 4x4 Quads.
    The current incentives in place end tomorrow!!
    As for the 99 trucks??? there were no rebates for them and usually arent any....there were however 1000 rebates on the leftover 98 rams reg and quads....I think they end tomorrow as well...the only thing in place now that I know of is special incentives on dakotas, cherokees and the new 99 grand cherokee....HOWEVER....it is not unlike Chrysler corp to extend them for a little while longer.....
  • SdwolffSdwolff Member Posts: 7
    I will shoot one question to you Trex. I am quite interested in the Dodge pickups mainly because my parents have the 95 diesel and have been trouble free with the vehicle and the gas mileage is excellent even with the 4-10 rear end. My question is about the v-10 I am looking at a combo like this v-10, either a 5spd or 6spd manual, and 3.54 axle ratio, 2wd. Can you give me a rough idea of the gas mileage that this combo will offer? I have asked several places and been ignored and am really wanting to know???? Please help.

Sean Wolff
    ok well first of all....you need to decide if you really want a v-10 or diesel if your concerned with gas mileage and you really need that kind of power then I strongly urge you to consider diesel....if you want to go with the gas engine then I'll tell you that the 6 speed manual as far as I know is only going to be available on the diesel to start with I have that in my order books but its not there for the v-10 yet, as far as mpg for the v-10 its very hard to quote that...I have customers that say they get around 12 to 14 round town and some say as high as 16 on the freeway...??? but load that v-10 down and your mileage goes byebye...dont get me wrong I sell them and it is a great engine but honestly I dont see why anyone would go gas for that big a truck....and whats even funnier is the viper has the same basic engine...(well almost!! hehe)and gets 22 mpg!!! but has a gas guzzler tax of 3000$!!!....the other thing to strongly consider is on a truck like that most people intend to "work" them and a gas engine will last about ...what?? 150 thousand miles??? average?? and a cummins ( 24 valve) goes up to around 300 thousand ...we sell probably 25 diesels for every 1 v-10....at our store anyway....Thanks for the question....T REX
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Odd comment about the viper -- every review I've read (C&D, Edmunds, etc) puts observed mileage at ~10.2 ...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    stanford,

The EPA isn't worried about getting the fun quotient, just the emissions and mileage. Yeah, if you feather it, you'll get 22. But would your ego let you turn a Viper into an econobox? :)
    Ah. Official EPA numbers are 12/21. That must be the reason for that incredible 6th gear ratio they have :-)
    Well I gotta agree with KC, you can get that mileage from a viper but, I gotta admit the few Ive driven around the lot I didnt feather nothin!!!1 hehehe!!!!Besides if you can buy a viper dont complain about gas mileage...right????....T REX
  • etuffly2etuffly2 Member Posts: 29
    Big question for TREX. When is Dodge going to build a real crew cab? Quad cabs are nice but they can't compete with the comfort of a full size crew cab when people actually have to ride in that back seat on long trips.
    Well, it's interesting that Dodge calls the extended Ram "Quad", but the new Dakota Quad is actuially a full crew cab - it looks good too. The F150 crew cab was also released at this week's auto shows. Dodge has to make a Ram crew soon to compete.
    Well this is a touchy subject with me because when I was at the last training school for Dodge trucks I brought this up and the trainer said there is no plans in the immediate future for a crew cab Ram, however he did say the full size Ram truck quad cab will grow about 5 inches next year....(dont tell anyone...hehehe), he went on to say that the real crew cab market only makes up about 3% of the whole truck market....but thats gotta be an average because we would sell a lot of them around here...I know it probably makes up about 25% in my town....but you know whats more ironic??,,,,,,,,,Dodge started the crew cab way back when......go figure...T REX
    That 3% makes sense -- but not when you consider the HD market. When I got my new F350 I would have bought a Cummins Dodge a year before the SDs came out -- if they had had a crew cab. They didn't, so I waited for the Fords. Shame, really.
    Well Stanford I agree and so do a lot of people....you know what would really help??? I f folks like you who bought ford's instead because of that would write to Dodge and let them know....I keep sayin 5" on the quad will be nice but the crew cab is definitely better!!!! T REX
  • zpookzpook Member Posts: 7
    I am thinking about buying a Dodge 1500 with a 318 and a 5 speed. I understand that Dodge does not offer it with the 360. Is this true? Also how hard is it to find a 5 speed? How much over cost should I expect to pay? I pull a 18 ft. bass boat, are there different rear end packages I should look at? Also I hear there is a problem with the oil pumps going out in the 318 and lunching the engine, have you heard about this?
    To...zpook...currently at our store we have about 30 1500 quad cab 4x4's and they are all 5 speeds but one....so it shouldnt be hard to find...look in your local paper and look for the nearest Dodge dealer they all should have a lost leader truck like the one I described...ie; 4x4 quad cab half ton 5.2 liter v-8 slt package...ours are 23,999 and you hafta add $950 for same with automatic trans....BUT...if you intend to tow be sure you find one with the Heavy Duty Service group...not so critical with a 5 speed but very important with an auto trans...as far as rear ends go unless your buyin a diesel to pull a big fifth wheel or want to do some serious rock climbin then the standard 3:55 rear end should suffice......and as per your question about the oil pump...I haven't heard that but I will put it on my list of things to ask our tech's about....Thanks for the questions....T REX

P.S. ....same truck in 4x2 is 21,999 at our lot (same add for automatic trans...)
    Trex99

I just ordered a 99 quad cab 4x 2500 diesel w/ limited slip. I noticed on Wheels.com that the limited slip is on hold until March 99. Is this going to affect my 8-12 delivery time quoted by the dealer? If so, any idea by how much.

Thanks,

Ed
    Well Goldrush, it is true the limited slip is on restriction right now.. and chances are your truck will sit in ordered but on hold status until the restriction is lifted...unfortunately a lot of dealers will want you to place your order with them...so they dont lose your business...the only other thing I can suggest is to have the same or another (probably another) dealership do a locate and try to find you a truck that already has that equipment on it...or if your not in a big hurry wait it out...if they can find one on a locate it may or may not have some of the options you might want... this is a common problem...the limited slip rear end seems to be a thing of the past...we dont get many trucks in like that nor do we order them that way for inventory...because we dont get too many requests for it anymore....Good Luck.....T REX
    Trex,

That's a surprise - I would think most hardcore truckers would never get a truck without limited slip
  • miner991miner991 Member Posts: 11
    To those interested in the crew cabs I know you were talking about full size trucks, but the dakota is going to have a crew cab version next year. You can see pictures and some specs on it at:
    www.car-truck.com/chryed/detroit/dakquad.htm

To Trex,
    I am wondering what rebates are available on the '99 dakota. The dodge website says $1000 cash allowance and I have seen a commericial talking about a free v8 engine. Is one or both of these accurate? Also, is the college graduate program still in effect? Thanks.

Brian
    Brian....yes, yes, and yes....the 1000 rebate was just applied it was 500 last month, as far as the free v-8, its actually a package discount so in effect its free...on the dakota the 5.2 v-8 is a $590 option and with this particular discount its also $590 so I guess you could call it free... I think they actually call it an slt and/or sport package discount but either way its a free v-8...and for those of you who havent driven a Dakota with a v-8 and are thinkin bout a ranger or s10 or toyota....dont drive it cuz you'll never go back to those....hehehe.....oh and as far as the college grad program....that was 400 I believe and Im not sure if thats still on or not...I can check tomorrow and let ya know......and for those of you interested in that new 4 door dakota, its also going to have a new engine in it...and to preview the new engine go to your local jeep dealer and check out the grand cherokee with the new 4.7 v-8.......Thanks for the questions Brian....T REX
    to Kcram....I know what ya mean but thats the honest truth...Im finding people are more interested in leather seats and cd players and frilly things than actual trucklike performance....the funny part is people actually come in and say...that truck is too high I have to step up to get in it....well DUH!!!! you asked for a 4x4 1 ton dually with a turbo diesel...its not a mini truck folks.....and for those people who think todays trucks ride harsh....I went for a ride today in one of the old body style dodge diesels to appraise its value and WOW!!!! that truck still (it was a 91) ran strong.....BUT!!! it was like riding a buckboard!!! hehehe
    trex99,

Ironically, it was an old W350 at my dad's job that made me interested in Rams in the first place. That truck is now about 15 years old, and has outlived trucks that were bought since. At one point, the bed was so beat up, the tailgate wouldn't open. But it recently had some bodywork done and a new paint job. It still passes inspection every year. Starts on the first crack of the key, and runs untikl you turn it off. Yeah it rides like a cinder block, but it's as tough as one, too.
  • wpeng1wpeng1 Member Posts: 12
    To Trex,
    I have two questions: 1. Does the full-bodycolored bumper comes with sport plus package on Dakota sport, or it's only available to
    R/T buyers.
    2. What's wheelflare in R/T package? Is that available on other models?
    Thanks
    To wpeng1....yes, the monochromatic(body color) bumper and grill are part of the sport or sport plus package on Dakota's, and the wheel flares are part of the tut package on Dakotas, and is also available on slt Dakota's too..tut package also includes rear srabilizer bar and the larger wheels and 31x10.50 tires,,,aka the tire and handling group....Thanks...T REX
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Dodge 5.9 250 hp
    Ford 5.4 260 hp
    CHEVY 6.0 300 hp
    CATCH ONE IF YOU CAN !
    And, of course, HP has nothing to do with acceleration and everything to do with top speed under load. At least get your facts straight...
  • etuffly2etuffly2 Member Posts: 29
    'Catch one if you can' could still apply to top speed under load, couldn't it??? Everybody hates a winner (the new Chevy would smoke a Dodge under almost any condition anyway - read Four Wheeler magazine).
  • cheezmancheezman Member Posts: 1
    how much should i pay for a 1989 dodge ram pickup 318 V8 full size with 150,000 miles on it
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    dave40 - How about the V10's for power?
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    What power ? Chevys 454 has more hp then fords V-10
    Chevy 454 290 hp
    Ford V-10 275 hp
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    the two engines have the same torque (before someone beats that horse again), and very similar torque curves. i think the ford needs to rev a little higher to get its HP than the 454 does. I recently drove my dad's new 454, will post on it in the C/K conference.
    To....Cheezman...I think you need to go to www.kbb.com and enter the info on that truck and get a value from them....thats a hard call for me........personally I would be weary of any truck with a gas engine that has that many miles on it......

To the rest of you guys gloatin bout yer Ferd's and Chebby's...go somewhere else this is for questions about Dodge products...besides if the people here were interested in those products they wouldn't be here now would they?????
  • kelikikeliki Member Posts: 4
    Trek99

Since seeing photos of the new Dodge Dakota with the four doors being offered this coming Fall, I have put off my purchased till then. My question is do you have any idea when we will put able to put an order in? I'm looking at getting the 4 X 4 with the sport appearance package. Thanks for any info.
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    Exactly when will this six speed hit my showroom?
    When will I get the 4 door Dakota?
    How much room will this Dakota have?
    Are there plans to get the full size crew cab out of Mexico and into the U.S.?

Matt D
    C.S.P.
    To...Keliki and Dmat...Whoa!! slow down there the 4door Dakota is not gonna be avail able til probly this time or later next year...I have no idea how much room is in it I havent seen any other pics besides what you have seen, and its quite obvious the bed has been shortened to accomadate the longer cab....As for the 6 speed it just went from TBD status(to be determined) to OR (on restriction) in our order books..Beleive me I know how you feel I have many customers ready to order theyre trucks now!!!....And not to beat a dead horse but the crew cab ram is not going to be...at least not for a while...Chrysler corp beleives its not cost effective to re-tool the plant to build a truck that only makes up 3% of the market....I think its rediculous myslef because where I live(north west area) it probly makes up about 20% of the trucks here....so your guess is as good as mine....I do know however the quad cab will grow 5 more inches either this fall or next spring.....thanks again for the questions..T REX
    It may be 3% of the overall market (all trucks, S10 to F550) but its certainly a larger percentage of the HD market.
  • stefano1stefano1 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a dodge ram 2500 quad cab with diesel, auto and most all the goodies. I want to put a plow on it and the dealer tells me that this voids the warranty. It this true, who is the authority on this. How do I contact the manufacture?\

Will the dodge ram 3500 quad cab dually cab and chassis ever be available in a 84" ca. That is 84 inch from cab to axel?
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I've placed an order for a Ram 1500. I worked out a price and payment with the dealer before the order, and have recently learned some things that make me think I could get a better deal. The deal they're giving me so far is good...not great. I believe they can do even better. Is there still time to negotiate? I don't want to cancel the order, just try to bring the bottom line down a little further. What do you think my chances are?
This discussion has been closed.