Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I'm not sure what taxes are where you live (Arizona, right?), but even at 8%, they only come to $24/mo.

If you are comparing a sedan to a sedan, then if the dealer gives you the same deal as the advertised car, the price is totally dependent on the MSRP. So, if the MSRP is 1% less, then the lease price should be 1% less, plus taxes. If you looked at a coupe, then the residuals are less and the payments are higher.

Also, if you asked to put down less money than in the advertised lease example, then the payment would go up.. But, if it is all apples to apples comparison, then the payment should be the same or less if the MSRP is less. The dealer may be adding fees or other after market markups (floor mats?) that aren't in the advertised deal. Regional advertising fees (MACO) could also raise the deal a little.

But, since your car should be a couple hundred less than the advertised example, I wouldn't think your deal should be over $320 with tax included. That does include about $3200 upfront, though..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rwardrward Member Posts: 5
    kfydx, thanks for the response.

I made this deal over the phone on Saturday and need to go in the dealership (don mackey BMW)tomorrow to see details and sign for?. down was 3700 "which is higher than normal due to paying to have shipped from california"; according to the salesman. Have not signed anything yet.
    Seems high. In the advertisement, the terms are $289/mo for 24 months with $2500 down. Total upfront costs of $3189 (2500 down + 1st payment + security deposit). It sounds like they are padding your deal. If your MSRP is less than the advertised car, I would insist on that deal at worst. Have them break out the tax costs for you. If they have to pay extra to get a car from California, that would be their problem, or I would look elsewhere. You may have tax on the downpayment, and also the monthly payment. Assuming tax at 8%, it would bump your payment to about $313, and change your up front cost to about $3463. Any other B.S. charges should be covered by your car's MSRP being a couple hundred lower.

Great choice with the Sport package and manual transmission, by the way.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    Best thing to do is go to the lease board portion of town hall and ask Car_Man to review your lease offer before signing it. He is really knowledgeable on leasing and will give you the current money factor (which is .00125) and residual (74%) on this car for 24 months/10K. He will also advise you if this lease is a good deal.
  • sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    I was insulted this weekend when a dealer only offered me $11,500 for my 98 convertible. He commented that it was extremely well taken care of, then low-balled me. The car has 92K miles is still covered under the 100K extended and has only been serviced by BMW dealerships. We have all the records and the paint Black ext./Tan int. looks new. What would be a fair price to expect from a dealer or private owner?
  • jirikijiriki Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of purchasing an 04 M3 coupe. The dealer in the Columbus area gave me $1500 off on an M3 sitting on the lot. It has a bit more than what I want.

What is everyone else's experience in purchasing a new M3 lately? He claims he won't take anything off if I order a new one from Germany rather than choose the one on his lot.

Thanks,

-Jon
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Click on the Used Cars tab at the top of the page > "What is your car worth" >>> go through the process of selecting your car, putting in the details (takes all of 1 min) and you will get #'s for Trade-In, Private Party Sale and Dealer Retail.

Good luck! Sounds like a nice car.
  • hxs30hxs30 Member Posts: 6
    Hello, everyone! I am a new member here but I have beening reading all the discussions which have been very helpful.

I am interested in leasing or purchasing a 2004 325i. I just got a quote from BMW dealer at Escondido, CA (suburb of San Diego). I would like to hear the reactions from all of you:

2004 BMW 325i
    Steel Blue metalic
    Gray leather interior
    Auto transmission
    Moonroof
    Heated front seats

MSRP: $33,545
    Invoice: $30,795

The dealer asked for additional $300 for advertising fee and $500 over the invoice, thus

Final price: $31,595

If lease for 36 months, 10k/year

Money factor: 0.00165
    Residual value: 64%

$1816 down
    $368 plus tax each month

What do you all think?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You might want to ask Car_man in the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion.
    It looks pretty good..

The advertising fee (MACO) is on the dealer's invoice, so if working up from invoice you have to include that. The $500 over invoice is a very good deal, but be aware that the dealer is marking up your money factor. The base money factor is .00125... If he used that money factor, your payment would be $21/mo. less.

What does your $1816 up front include? I'm assuming $368 first payment, $400 security deposit, $525 acquisition fee. That adds up to about $500 less than your upfront. They might be marking up your acquisition fee or adding document fees (no justification for these).

The monthly payment is right on the money with the parameters you gave, but looks like about $1000 padding between higher money factor and upfront fees... Still.. a very fair deal, but not really a $500 over invoice deal. Is this for an ordered car or one on the lot?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Have you tried the other dealer in Columbus? The word I hear on other boards is $1500 off a new '04 is pretty good. The reason he is pushing you to take the one off the lot is the bird in the hand thing...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hxs30hxs30 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, kyfdx for your insightful dissection of the deal of the new 325i with steel blue, gray leather, auto, moonroof and heated seats.

The car we desire in that particular specification is currently not existing. The dealer says it can be ordered now and will be delivered at around 6/10/04. Does that mean that we have to pay extra, such as acquisition fee?

Thanks again for your help.
    I think the acquisition fee is already figured into your upfront cost of $1816.. I would ask them to break down that figure, so you know what it includes. I would also find out what the payment would be after taxes.

If you make the deal this month, the lease program is locked in until the end of June. They must have a car allocated that they can still change the options on.

I think you have a pretty good deal. Once you see the breakout of the fees, you could ask them to remove any document fees (these are just padding), or if acquisition fee is over $525, ask them to reduce it to the base rate... Otherwise, you could ask them to drop the money factor to the base rate (.00125).

Since your deal is just for $500 over invoice, they may not be willing to do any of those things. It is still a very fair deal, especially since you are ordering it just the way you want, and not paying for any extra options you don't need.

You might ask them what happens if your car doesn't show up on time? Specifically, if it shows up after July 1st. The lease terms probably won't get any better on this car than they are right now. Don't let the deal get away over $500.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nusiennalvrnusiennalvr Member Posts: 11
    We currently have a 98 328 that is fully loaded, that we bought 2 years old (Certified Pre Owned)with only 15k miles on it. It now has 80k, and we want to trade it in. We have to purchase due to my husband's work commute. The dealership has a Certified Used 03 325xi that is AWD, with premium package and heated leather seats. Now, I've been shopping around awhile, and there was a big rebate on the leftover 03's at the end of last year. Should this have any play in what I should pay for this particular vehicle? Also, are there any current incentives that may make an 04 just as appealing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    The only incentives on '04s are special lease incentives. However, anything that brings the cost down on a new car is going to negatively affect the value on a year-old used car of the same model.

You don't say how many miles, or if the car is automatic, or what color it is, but in general, you should be looking at under $30K for an '03 CPO 325xi. In general terms, the CPO should be at least $7K less than the MSRP of a comparable new one. If it is less of a difference than that, then I think the new one would be the better buy.

The CPO makes a lot of sense if you drive a lot. If it is one year old or less, and has less than 15K miles, you could drive it for five full years under warranty at 18K miles per year.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

We currently have a 98 328 that is fully loaded, that we bought 2 years old (Certified Pre Owned)with only 15k miles on it. It now has 80k, and we want to trade it in. We have to purchase due to my husband's work commute. The dealership has a Certified Used 03 325xi that is AWD, with premium package and heated leather seats. Now, I've been shopping around awhile, and there was a big rebate on the leftover 03's at the end of last year. Should this have any play in what I should pay for this particular vehicle? Also, are there any current incentives that may make an 04 just as appealing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    It is an oriental blue with beige leather interior and has 19k miles on it. Making sure it is 7k less than MSRP on a new one is great information. We felt that CPO is the best option for us b/c of the 100k mile warranty. It's just difficult making sure that we don't get "suckered" in the process, and end up paying more for a CPO than we would've for a new one. Thanks again for the info!!
  • confusedconfused Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to the dealer today to negotiate on a 2004 325cic with premium pkg, sports, automatic, cwp, xenon, metallic paint and H/K audio. Any advice on what would be a good deal? MSRP is $45,670 and invoice is $41,835. I understand that it is difficult to get a convertible under invoice. Any thoughts as to where I should be on price? Thanks
  • lwvlwv Member Posts: 46
    Thanks to the information on this board and lease board, I was able to lease my first BMW. I think I got a decent deal.

2004 325i
    Sport/Premium
    Xeon
    HK
    Floor mats
    Steptronic
    Titanium with black leather
    MSRP: $37,870

36 month 15k/yr lease

Paid first month payment of $451 down. 35 more at $451 plus $350 disposal at end of lease. I think money factor was .0014 which is more than some have quoted but out of pocket seemed good so went for it. No sales tax as they had tax credit. Tags and license included. No money up front but the $451 first payment.

Do you think I did ok? This was in Texas.
  • drharrisdrharris Member Posts: 7
    Just placed an order for a fully loaded 330 CiC (in Northern California), SMG, sport, premium, cold weather (even in Calif., it's nice to have seat warmers!), nav system, the works in Mystic Blue / Gray leather.

MSRP is $52,740. We settled at $50,000 even. The catch is the financing. Because I don't need the car until September, I'll work the financing when I get close to delivery. I had to decide now because of incentives on my current lease (Saab). Once I drove the SMG, it was no contest though.

Let me know your thoughts on the price and any advice on negotiating the lease.
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    On 3/30, I ordered an 04 330CiC (Mystic blue, black top, Nat Brown, Sport Pkg, SMG, 18" wheels, Nav, Xenon, Htd seats) for European delivery....US MSRP of 51670, ED price of 45990.

My deal was approx $1,500 above ED invoice. To me, this was a fair price since the dealer secured the ED date that I wanted.

I locked-in the March lease terms by submitting (on-line) the BMWFS application on 3/31. The lease terms are: 36mo/45K, 58% residual, 0.0014MF, zero cap cost reduction, $551/mo plus sales tax.
    I have negotiated as far as the dealership will go, and they've come to 30,500(down from 31,900) on a 03 325 XI with 19k miles on it, premium package, and heated leather seats. It is also CPO.We have outstanding credit, and they've offered us an APR of 4.49.
    Could I do better in price and/or APR? I dont' want to lose a good deal, but also want to make sure this is one. The MSRP on a 04 of with the same features is 36,400.
    Also, I want to know why an 03 is already on the lot with 19k miles on it. I will ask, but is there anything I should be wary of? Do they have to be honest about where it came from?
    Thanks-this board is priceless!!
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I purchased a 03 330i from a private party several days ago. I ran a car fax and also ran the VIN through BMW. Everything checked out. The car has sport and premium packages, step, xenon, titanium silver W/gray leather and tinted windows. It has 7,500 miles on it.The mileage checked out with the BMW dealer. The owner was being transferred overseas in five days and had to sell. I paid $34,000 for the car and since there is no sales tax in AZ when buying from a private party, I think I got a good deal. By the way the car is pristine with not even a pin prick scratch on it. Prior to buying I checked Edmunds, Kelley and NADA and the prices given ranged from $34,000 to $37,500. Did I get a decent deal?
    An '03 could be 18 months old, so 19K is not a lot of miles. And, no, the dealer doesn't have to be honest about where the car came from or if its had body work, etc... He may not even know or care about all those details. The big advantage of buying CPO is the car has that 100K warranty to protect you down the road. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the car, but I wouldn't depend on them to tell you. You can ask them to print out the vehicle history. That will tell you when it was serviced, and at what mileage. It may even tell you if BMW had to do any body repair to the car.

Every used car and dealer is different, so it is hard to say if you can do better than that price. I personally think it is about $1K high. If I could get the new one for $34,5K, I would rather have that, than the used one at $30.5K. The APR looks fair for an'03, but check with your credit union if you have one, or the bank where you have your checking account. Most will give new car rates on an '03.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

After the fact... but, it looks like a good price. No sales tax on private sales? You can't beat that.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    brislance: Looks like a great price. That '03 sounds like it stickered for well over $40K. Congrats on finding a great usd car!

lwv: That $451/month sounds like a good deal on a $37K+ car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    I am interested in buying/leasing a 325I in the San Diego Area. I was wondering if it was possible to "order" a 325I with the specific options you desire and still obtain a deal that is $1500 - $2000 under MSRP. For instance, I don't believe I need the full premium package, instead adding the sunroof and power seats a la carte to Sport, SMG, Xeon, and HK seems like a better choice. Is this realistic? Also, does anyone have any feedback re: dealerships in the North San Diego/San Diego area? I live in Carlsbad.
  • ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    You can't beat the lease deals on a 3 series right now and you can always lease a 3 for 2 years then turn around and buy the new 3 series which in coming out in 2 years. If you lease, it is not worth the change in your payment to worry about not getting the premium package(premium will increase the residual value of your lease as well as the msrp) so when leasing the difference is really negligible. I have a spreadsheet so email me at aol if you want it. It will also make negotiating easier to buy a car they have on the lot. Please see the lease board for some very informative posts on the 325i. You can't beat the lease incentive lately.. Just my opinion but I think it would be crazy to buy this car with a body style change in the near future given the money factor (73%) and residual (.00125) on a 2 year lease.
    Have you driven the SMG? It seems most people think the Steptronic or manual are better choices. I agree with ashleyandersin.. with the leasing incentives, it makes more sense to lease than buy, though I would still lease for three years.

You will have a hard time ordering, and getting the car by 6/30/04. You have to take delivery by then to lock in the current lease deals. That would make the savings of not getting the premium package negligible. At most you are saving perhaps $13-$18 per month, and could possibly cost yourself much more than that, if lease deals aren't as good later.

If you can live with the steptronic, you should be able to find plenty of inventory equipped the way you want right now. You may be able to bargain hard enough on a lot car, to make up for the cost of any extra options you don't really need.

Your option list looks good.. I wouldn't let the HK be a deal breaker. I have it, and its better than not having it, but I wouldn't say its worth $700. I wouldn't have it without Xenon and Sport, though.

regards,
    kyfdx

EDIT: Leather?? You might have a harder time finding a car equipped that way, if you don't want it. Most with premium and sport packages will have it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pmarcello1pmarcello1 Member Posts: 5
    My 330CIC is in the processing center. I ordered the car and got $1750 off MSRP. That's pretty good. I'd start with $2500 off MSRP and work it. Settle for anything over$1500. If you lease realize they can make up for it on the lease. If trading in, realize they will try to make some up on the trade-in. Good luck!
  • lwvlwv Member Posts: 46
    nyccarquy - thanks for the reply. I am really enjoying the car. I had looked at one last year when they had the dealer cash on 03s, but could not find the equipment and color. This one had the equipment and color that I would have ordered, so went for it.

Thanks for helping all of us.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    For tv news, we're seeking people with first-hand experience that Kelley Blue Book's pricing does not reflect real world used vehicle values (trade-ins and/or sales.) Please contact jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, April 23, 2004 if you'd be willing to be interviewed on camera on this subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hman709hman709 Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

I just bought a 325xi (metallic paint, auto, premium and heated seats) for $34130. BTW, did the invoice price of the 325xi increase from $29850 ?? BTW, the price also includes floor mats which i would think should not even be discussed for 30k+ car.

Also, the sales person was asking me if i want to turn daylights on ? Does that burn the headbulbs faster? Any adavntage one way
    or another ?

Any last minute freebies or things to get before i sign my
    hard earned money away? :)
  • Eddiebauer15Eddiebauer15 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, im in the market for a new 325ci convertible, i received a lease price of 597 a mnth for 36mo/12kyr. The car was steel grey with black leather, prem, steptronic, cwp, and xenon. Msrp was about 45000. Is this a good price? I would be paying the taxes upfront. Does anyone have a similar car and lease it? How much do u pay.
  • sageradsagerad Member Posts: 5
    I will be trading in a 97 328ic for either a 2002 325xi wagon (black) with 28,000 miles or a 2003 325i sedan (metallic blue) with 7000 miles. The cost for both cars is about the same ($28,000).

To me, the trade-off is between the mileage of the 2002 being significantly greater than the 2003 versus having the convenience of the wagon and the safety of AWD. So should I be concerned about buying the more "used" car. I plan to drive either car for roughly 8,000 miles/year for at least 5-7 years.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I run my daytime lights all the time and have only had to change the bulbs once in three years. Hope that helps.
    1) 2002 vs. 2003: Check the inservice dates. If the wagon was put in service in the fall of '01 and the sedan was July '03, there could be a 20 month difference in warranty expiration. To me, that would be significantly in favor of the '03.

2) 28K miles vs. 7K miles: Care of the vehicle is much more important, the more miles there are. I have rarely seen a car with under 10K miles that had condition issues. The older car could have been owned by an uncaring owner for 2.5 years.. This is definitely in favor of the '03.

3) Wagon vs. Sedan: I happen to like wagons, but most think you are giving something up in appearance. Unless you really have to haul a lot of stuff around, or take long driving vacations with 3 or more people, I don't see it as a necessity from a utility point of view. If you like wagons better, though, score one for the '02.

4) All-wheel-drive vs. rear-wheel-drive: All wheel drive will give you better traction in the winter. But, BMW's system is far from state of the art. If you were choosing between an A4 with fronttrack or quattro it would be a no-brainer, but there are compromises with the 3-series. The negatives: increased weight, poorer handling, lower gas mileage, higher maintenance costs, higher ride height (appearance). I don't know where you live, but assuming its not Minnesota or upper Wisconsin, I give the nod to the sedan. A set of 16" winter tires on the sedan will give it better winter handling than the wagon with all-season tires and 80% of the traction. For those that have to have all-wheel-drive, a 3-series is a great car, but if you are still making that decision, I vote against it.

5) If the cars are optioned similarly, then the '03 looks like the better buy.

Okay, what color blue? LOL

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Thank you for the excellent, point-by-point analysis.

As for the warranties, the wagon is CPO and has 3 1/2 years of warranty left. The sedan was used by the dealer as a loaner car for service customers--it has never been titled.

As for the need for a station wagon and AWD, we have an SUV (Lexus LX470) which serves any station wagon roles and yet another car that I can drive in the winter (Volvo 850) in St. Louis. The BMW purchase would be primarily for commuting purposes (average 120 miles/week) and errands, rare short car trip by myself, etc.

Thank you very much. Your comments are extremely helpful. I will pass on the wagon and may wait instead for a low mileage coupe, which is what I would really prefer.

SageRad
    One more note.. in case you decide on the '03.. Even though it hasn't been titled, it will still have an in-service date. The warranty clock is already ticking. Most BMWs put into the service loaner program have an extra 3 months/5K miles full warranty added on to the original warranty.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I thought a good bit about your comments and about my reasons for getting the new car. As I pulled into the dealership there was a moment of clarity, and I saw what I really wanted: a silver coupe. So I bought a 2001 Silver 325ci coupe with 25,000 mi and every option including Sport and Premium packages. It's CPO with a warranty that extends to 12/06. It was returned within the last month from a lease. I do not know why anyone would return it. ;-

Thank you for your insights and analysis.
  • curious1curious1 Member Posts: 2
    is it possible to get 2004 325i with auto,
    prem pkg, heated seats for 31k flat?
    in nj area

thanks
    Invoice is $30,910... figure $300 for MACO (advertising fee) and the dealer cost is over $31K. A good deal would probably be $32K.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• curious1curious1 Member Posts: 2
    the dealer offered 31400 for this car as the final price, but i am still trying to get 31 flat.
    WOW... Good luck.. I wouldn't lose that deal over $400, if that is the car you want.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hman709hman709 Member Posts: 11
    I guess your deal makes mine look expensive.
    I got the same thing as yours but in a 325xi and paid 34K
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Dealers like to point out advertising fees and add those to the "invoice price" without pointing out holdbacks and subtracting those.

Why is that?
    1) advertising fees are on the invoice.. If you aren't bargaining against the confidential invoice price, you don't have to worry about them.
    2) BMW doesn't have holdback.

3) I find I have the most success, if I know the dealer's cost on the car, but never mention it. I compute the cost, make that my first offer, then move up to what I think is fair, if needed. I never bring up invoice. Asking for a certain number over invoice just invites the dealer to start the shell game.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If they think you don't know the invoice and you name some price below MSRP, they often say something like "We can't sell it for that price. That's below our cost! Would you like us to just give it to you for nothing? This is a BMW."
    I make the offers... they either take it, or counter with a higher price. I pay no attention to what they say, unless it helps me. Seriously, I just don't care what their reasoning is. They are trying to get the most dollars, I'm trying to pay the least. If I am confident in my price research, what they say doesn't matter to me... only what they do.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Attempted to lease a 325I today, but ended walking out because it was 1st dealer I negotiated with and had a feeling in the back of my mind I could do better. Felt that way because of all the deals I've read about on this forum and the leasing forum over the last 60 days or so. I wanted to get opinions from other re: the deal.

The deal was for $1,785 under MSRP (Premium, Sport, Xeon, Leather, Auto), but the MF was .0016 instead of .0014 (Sec Dep. waived). Translated into an extra $14/mo (x 36 mos). Asked for them to meet me at .0015 - but dealer would not move, "we need to make some money on the deal" response. Just seemed like I could do better since $1,500 off MSRP appears to be the "worst" someone should accept and NOBODY was on the lot looking at cars (on a Sat. afternoon no less). I should note that the car was not on the lot (would trade another dealer or order), but was perfectly equipped (incl. color). What do you think??