Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    BMW has raised the residual on the 2014's to 66% this has helped with the payments of the 320i's. You might not be able to find a 2013 with the options you are looking for,.
  • richneedsaleasrichneedsaleas Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2013
    OK All, here you go: As always, much better lease deals out there than the Advertised "Specials"...

Configuration MSRP 49,750 Was told residual is 61%, MF works out to 3% apr

Cold, Tech, Prem Pkgs.

Total Drive-away OOP $1599
    Monthly incl NY Tax $484.
    10k mi/yr 36mo loyalty and tier 1 applied

Thanks for all forum help as always
    Seems about $60/mo too much to me
    You can do way better. See my Gran Turismo Post, It should be far cheaper than that!
  • workinguyworkinguy Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

Great information here-- thanks to all who provide feedback.

Time for me to request some, please. I think these numbers are high, but I'm not sure.

Loc: Washington, DC
    2014 328 xDrive
    Luxury Line
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Driver Asst Pkg
    Lighting Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Tech Pkg
    MSRP 51,925
    Negotiated Price 47,405

MF: .00125 (would rather not buy down with MSDs)
    10k/36Mos

4K OOP (+500 Loyalty = 4.5K down)
    507.92/Mo (incl. DC 10% use tax)

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
  • konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196
    Why are you putting down 4K on a lease? Unless you have to pay tax upfront. If you are paying down to lower the cap cost, it is the wrong move. Once you leave the lot, anything happens to the car, you are out your down payment.
  • workinguyworkinguy Member Posts: 2
    Looking back, you're right. Will re-negotiate that piece. Thanks!
  • pshcharlottepshcharlotte Member Posts: 1
    I am getting BMW 328i lease for 675 (with tax) per month for 36 months
    with 15 k miles per year
    below are details
    msrp --46475
    discount--1800
    sale price--44675
    residual amount --26955
    no rebates
    customer cash 675

down payment is first month that is 675
    car has driver asst. , premium and technology package..

this is the first time I am leasing , what is the best way to negotiate...
    First off your price is bad! right off, I think you are paying probably minimum of an extra $100 plus per month. That being said, I take it from your name you are in Charlotte, NC. therefore, you can buy/lease from any BMW dealer in the US and do Performance Center Delivery(PCD) in Spartanburg.

Ok....you don't have all of the info for a lease...biggest is what is the money factor MF, the base MF is .00125. There are also other fees involved and it would behoove you to read up on BMW leases.

The absolute best market to lease a BMW in the US is SoCalifornia. I would email the build of the car you want to either Greg at Pacific BMW, Justin at New Century BMW or Jon at Santa Barbara BMW. They are all sponsor on the Bimmerfest forum. Any of them will give you a great deal and arrange for the PCD delivery.

If you go on the above website, there is a topic devoted to PCD delivery. I would also read up on MSD's, if you look at my earlier posts, you will be able to learn about them.

Good luck
    PS stay out of your local dealers, unless you want to get hosed!
  • hbtrojanhbtrojan Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,
    First time leasee and wanted to get people's thoughts on this deal. I'm in So Cal.

Leasing a 2014 328i 36 mo 10k miles/year. Nav, heated seats, & moonroof.
    MSRP 42,275
    Inital Cap Cost 37800
    Residual 61%
    Lease end value - 25787.75
    Money Factor .0014 (based on other posts this should be .00125)
    Monthly payment - 428.36 (including 9% sales tax)
    Cust Cash Down - $2000

Sales guy said he could try to get to $400/mo if I signed by month end. How good of a deal is this?

Thanks!
  • asheikh90asheikh90 Member Posts: 1
    first time lease for 2013 328 i
    12k miles a year

car comes with
    premium package
    lighting package
    cold weather package

0 down
    taxes and acquisition fee and bank fee MVC etc total 2500
    and 375 a month could you guys please let me know if its a good deal its my first time leasing bmw
    First off is the customer cash down for only the drive offs? by that, I mean, first month's payment, dmv, $80 doc fee and $725 acquisition fee? I would guess based on CA jacking up your money factor, he has increased the Acq fee too.

Send your build to either Greg at Pacific BMW or Justin at New Century Bmw and get a quote from them.

Also, there is a wealth of info on BMW leases on the Bimmerfest forum, including using MSD's to lower your monthly payment. It looks like you are possible putting money down to de cap your lease, very bad move.
    Not nearly enough info you provided on the car. What is the MSRP, the invoice price, the money factor, the acquisition fee, doc fee and any other fees they might have. This is a 2013 model, therefore, your capitalization cost should be minimum $2000 below invoice.

If you come back with the above numbers, I can tell you whether it is a good deal or not.

Do yourself a big favor, go onto the Bimmerfest forum and read about leasing. There is a ton of good info to help educate you on BMW leasing. Believe me, you will gain a lot for a small amount of time invested.
  • mak303mak303 Member Posts: 5
    Would you be able to stack the holiday credit with the build out credit on MY13 cars? Or only one credit can be applied? Thanks.
  • roadengineroadengine Member Posts: 5
    Getting for below rates for 2014 320x, 36 months, 10K miles . Is it good one?
    MSRP 40370
    Sale Price :37120
    Residual :66%
    Money factor :0.0096
    Down payment: 2200 (Includes First month payment, doc fees, Tax and all that)
    Monthly payment including tax : 360
  • nc_driver1nc_driver1 Member Posts: 56
    Hi, please post the Dec numbers for a 36mos 12k/15k lease. Thanks a lot!
  • bullz1bullz1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 328i or 335i later this month.

It seems, usually, people are able to get a 200-300$ over invoice (+ TTL) when they buy. Considering various rebates (holiday case of 1250$, 500$ turnkey cash), what price can I expect to realistically target?

I am in SoCal.
  • lexmalexma Member Posts: 1
    I plan to order my car but have been told by the dealer that they won't give as good a deal as for a car that exists in their inventory. That makes sense to me but I wonder what others' experience has been like in this situation. Thanks!
  • drsteindrstein Member Posts: 9
    Become a member of "Bimmerfest" Its a great BMW lovers site. There are many sponsor dealers who give exceptional deals to Bimmerfest members only. Its free to join and has an abundance of info. Do yourself a favor, you should be able to get a car, with incentives, below invoice.
    You should be way under invoice at this point. Become a "Bimmerfest" member" (its free !!) and reach out to Greg Poland at Pacific BMW. He is a Sponsor Dealer on "Bimmerfest"and will give you an incredible deal. It will blow you away !!!
    buying makes no difference to the selling price of the car vs. leasing. The dealer makes the same profit. As several other people have recommended, email Greg at Pacific BMW, Jon at Santa Barbara BMW or Justin at New Century BMW with your build and see what they can do. You won't have to worry later or come back here and ask if this is a "good deal". Finally, there are dealer incentives from BMW and this helps them give you a better deal. I would target $500 over invoice, then minus your incentives, to get to the best price.
    I laugh at people who come running here and wanting know if the deal they got is good or not...

I send my friends to the Costco web site and have them build the car they want, the web site shows invoice since that is part of the Costco auto buying service. This way they have an excellent idea if the dealer if giving them a fair deal or not.
    Costco is definitely a good place to start....but an educated buyer, can use the various resources available to them, with a little bit of work, find a great deal. Costco does not educate the buyer on MSD's, marked up acquisitions fees or other charges.

I admit that I find it somewhat sad and little humorous, with all the info out there, that people fail to try to educate themselves. However, I got hosed by my own lack of knowledge on my first BMW, back in 2005 and wished that someone could of pointed me in the right direction.
    Costco is a place to state, and then Bimmerfest to learn about the MSD and such.. With invoice prices handy on the net as you stated about an hour of ones time can save thousands..
    Bimmerfest is more than just a place to learn about MSDs. They are most certainly the place to learn all things BMW but also a great place to get a great deal on your next BMW. The dealer sponsors on Bimmerfest offer transparent, clean cut deal. Not only that, but pricing you cannot normally get anywhere else, even at Costco. Also the fact it cost nothing to join, everyone who has any type of interest in BMWs, as well as every BMW prospective buyer owes it to themselves to go there and take a look. The deals on Bimmerfest draw buyers across not only state lines, but from across the country. I'm not a Sponsor, dealer, or site admin., I'm just a BMW fan.
  • bimmerrookiebimmerrookie Member Posts: 3
    i'm in the market for a 2014 328i lease and got this quote. would appreciate any feedback on what you think of the deal. btw, i'm so cal resident.

36mo lease
    12,000miles/year
    premium package
    heated seats
    driver's assist package
    navigation
    msrp 44,925
    sell price 39,395
    alpine white w/black interior
    MF 0.76 (after 7 MSD)
    Residual factor 60%
    my down payment was $2000, but once I asked for MSD and MF went down from 1.25 to 0.76, there's another 3150 to pay. so i have to pay $5150 at signing, but supposedly the 3150 I will get back guaranteed at the end of lease.

what do you guys think? would you recommend using MSD's if i have the cash? do you ACTUALLY get it back 100% and there are no gimmicks??? that's a lot of money out of pocket and want to make sure. thanks for your advise.
    First off, yes the MSD's are legit and you will get all your money back, as long as you are not over the mileage or have chargeable damage. You are not providing your monthly payments in your info. I think your sell price is pretty good. However, your down seems to be a touch high. I recommend you only pay DMV, $725 acquisition fee and first monthly payment and the $80 Cal doc fee. I am guessing they are decapping the lease by about $500.

Finally, do yourself a favor and email Greg at Pacific BMW and/or Justin at New Century with your build and get a comparison quote. You could also try Jon at Santa Barbara BMW, I believe he is blowing out the inventory there, with great deals.
    thanks so much for the advise! I was trying to accurately describe the deal and left out monthly payments. after the 7 MSD's, it comes out to $419. the drive off includes capital reduction, cap reduction tax, lic and reg, bank fee, doc fee, and first month's payment. does that sound right? is bank fee same as acquisition fee?
    also, I just discovered that this is the last year for the 3 series model and it'll be replaced with the 4 series next year. would that make it a good or bad thing?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It's only the coupe/convertible that is named the 4-series, and that's already happened.. The 3-Series sedan will live on... no worries.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Can anyone tell me if there's any gimmick in getting an MSD? my dealer guarnatees i will get back all of my 3600 deposit back upon return if the car is in good condition. I have the cash, but I'm afraid just because i'm using it now to save on my monthly payments, i won't get it back when the 36mo lease ends because of some "fine line print". it's scary putting all that money down hoping to save and not getting it back at the end. and also, how long have MSD's been around. a friend just leased an A4 and he didn't know anything about MSDs. Is it a BMW thing? Has anyone ever had trouble getting all the money back at the end? thanks!
    Not too sure why you are asking this questions again, it has been answered before.. Also if you join Bimmerfest, ALL of your questions are answered, just saying...
    there are no fine print gimmicks regarding the MSD's... if you bring the car back with damage or excess miles they can take that out of the MSD. By damage, I mean anything over the size of a credit card dings or scrapes. The MSD program is the best deal out there.

I urge you not to do a capital reduction, all you are doing is paying the rent(lease) upfront and risk the loss if something happens. Plus you have to pay the tax on the capital reduction. the bank fee and the acquisition fee are the same thing....
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Just chiming in to agree with the cap reduction advice.

Cap reduction is like going to rent a house and deciding the monthly rent is too high. Would you pay a chunk of money upfront to make your monthly rent lower? Doesn't make a lot of sense when you look at it that way.
    I've done MSDs, twice... no issues..

Your lease-end charges are your lease-end charges... It doesn't matter if you have $500 on deposit or $4000.. No one will jack up the charges to steal your deposit..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bceagles88bceagles88 Member Posts: 71
    One other question. Say I decide to trade in the car 2 or 3 months before the lease up and I am getting a different brand, say Audi. If I trade it in to Audi, what happens to the MSD's?
    Audi's are nice, but as a true sport sedan the FWD is the killer for me.
    That makes no difference, MSD's are just security deposits. You get your money back whether you keep the car for a month or through the entire term of your lease.
  • bmwlova234242bmwlova234242 Member Posts: 2
    2013 328i Xdrive Automatic
    New

Glacier Silver
    Navi
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Wood trim

$39533 before taxes and fees?

Any good or should I try for lower?
    You need to provide more info.... what is the MSRP, the invoice price? There is at least a $2000 incentive on 2013 models. You should be able to buy this car well under invoice, at least $3000 under, it is last years car.

Spend a little time doing research, you can save thousands....Offhand, the price looks high, but you need to know the numbers!!

Sunny48, yes, they have jacked the money factor, the base rate is .00125, they have also raised the acquisition fee by $200, up from the base of $725. If you want to buy in the NE, I would try NJ. You can use Multiple Security Deposits, which in the range you are looking at would save you an additional $50 per month in payments. I have written on this forum about MSD's and it is one of the great benefits of leasing with BMW FS. If you check the forum Bimmerfest, I believe there are several reputable CA's in NJ, that will give you a fair deal.

• zorahadiczorahadic Member Posts: 4

Can anyone tell me what the money factor and residuals are for 36 month 10,000 miles/year
    of 2014 328xi and 335xi? Thanks so much

• ghla59ghla59 Member Posts: 2

Hello,

Would someone please clarify how BMW Holiday Credits/Build Out Credits and Turn-Key Rebates work?

If I have been reading the information on this site correctly, it seems like incentives (credits) are subtracted from the price of the vehicle (MSRP), eventually bringing it to the final price (negotiated price)... Is this correct or are these credits usually subtracted from the total purchase... (meaning the contract)?
    Also, how do Turn-Key Rebates work? Does the buyer pay the payment then it is applied to the account as a credit?

Sorry about all the questions, but I am new to this and want to know everything... I know some of the questions might seem silly...

Thanks!

• bailaowaibailaowai Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

Hi Guys, I'm new to leasing. Looking at a 2014 535i. I've been quoted a money factor of 0.00165. I thought the base MF was 0.00125. When I asked the dealer, they said "well they have to make some money somewhere". I'm at invoice + 1000 before incentives, and still hoping to get them down a bit. Also in NorCal. Is this normal - the dealer "marks up" the MF?

Yes, it's "normal"... so is their BS answer. You negotiated what you thought was a good price, then they bumped you $1000 on the finance side. It's typical. I've never paid a marked up MF, yet... but, I'd do it for a corresponding reduction in selling price, assuming I was happy with the deal, already.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Bailaowai...It is all bs on their part...contact Jon at Santa Barbara BMW or Greg at Pacific BMW and they will hook you up with a straight deal. I have heard from many people that the Nor Cal dealers will not give you a great deal.

ghla59..all the incentives and credits are taken out after you reach a deal. However, shady dealers will tell you, that it is included in the deal. If you are in LA, contact Greg at Pacific BMW, he will give you an honest, no BS deal. Turn key, they make the payment for you....

• ghla59ghla59 Member Posts: 2

Thanks konacoug! The information you provide here is really helpful and very informative...I asked because most people whom I spoke with didn't seem to know exactly how such incentives are subtracted, so I didn't get much help when I was shopping for and leased my 2013 328i a couple of months ago ( I know I should have done more research then), but since another family member is considering a BMW, I wanted to clearly understand everything just to be able to help her negotiate a better deal overall... We sure will be contacting Greg!
    I know it's too late to reflect on the deal that I got, but I was able to get the sale price of the vehicle about $7k below MSRP; $3800 below invoice, so I thought at the time (since I was in a rush and I really needed to get a car) that it was a decent discount given the base MF and a payment that I could live with, although it would have been better had I known about MSDs then! Could that mean that all the credits were already factored into that sale price? Thanks again!!

• nikhilauto13nikhilauto13 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013

signed a new lease for 320i. How does this look?

2014 320i with moonroof

MSRP:34725

Sale price: 31300

Financed:31300

Residual:65%

Term: 36 months; 12,000/year

Monthly Pay: 320+Tax(=348.63)

Paid 1750 at the time of signing the contract, which includes the first month's payment.

Did I do ok?

• RBlakeNYCRBlakeNYC Member Posts: 5

2009 Audi a4 Quattro premium plus owner Signed for a new 328i xdrive yesterday in Hartford ct. Think I got a reasonable deal so sharing the numbers. All negotiations by phone - in some cases after email enquiry. Only stepped into one dealer and had all the numbers and the specific car nailed down before doing so. Negotiating on 12/29-30 probably helped.

The car is mineral grey with premium and cold options.
    Msrp 44825
    Invoice 41265

Truecar quotes from dealers (including holiday credit of 1250 but not loyalty at 500 as not current owner) at 39500 (too far away/inconvenient) and two at 40800.

Also negotiated with a dealer about an hour away to 39990 with an extra detailing at first service thrown in but wasn't my my preferred color and somewhat inconvenient.

Decided upon local dealer and negotiated to 40000 including application of the 1250 holiday credit.

Am paying the local going rate for doc prep 499 and transfer of 135. Not too happy about that but felt it netted me to the target of about $500 over invoice before credits.

Will finance a significant portion at 2.99 or somewhat less.

A few thoughts on cars available - informed by reading posts here and bimmerfest...

• wish I could have found one with lighting option without all the other bells and whistles. Am pretty sure I will regret not having the superior and cool lights but couldn't find without another 5k plus in other options I didn't want/afford
    • Wish a sports line made sense but fearing winter snow travel and, again, not found many on lot cars within 100 miles and when did tended to be fully loaded cars. Also Wasn't willing to rotate in snows every year (as a true fanatic would)
    • If circumstances allowed, would have ordered exactly the car I wanted and waited for it - Or, even better, picked-up in Munich!

In the end, I had decided I would splurge on this car if I could get it at 40k and felt I succeeded (despite fees and state taxes taking it to about 43500). Plan to pick it up tomorrow! Best to all with your experiences!

• sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24

@konacoug said:
    Sunny48, yes, they have jacked the money factor, the base rate is .00125, they have also raised the acquisition fee by $200, up from the base of $725. If you want to buy in the NE, I would try NJ. You can use Multiple Security Deposits, which in the range you are looking at would save you an additional $50 per month in payments. I have written on this forum about MSD's and it is one of the great benefits of leasing with BMW FS. If you check the forum Bimmerfest, I believe there are several reputable CA's in NJ, that will give you a fair deal.

Thanks for your answer. I will look into NJ as I believe MSDs are not allowed in NY. I suspected the acquisition fee was jacked up.

The holidays were too hectic for me to concentrate on a car, although my husband got one. What incentives might be coming up during the winter? I will probably be ordering this car, so can wait for any. I noticed that MB had good ones last winter, so I am curious to know if BMW also offers winter enticements.