Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Cash cap reduction 4,500 (that’s how much I’d pay upfront)
    Acquisition fee: 825 (can I negotiate to lower it to the recommended 625?)
    Tag/title 62
    Doc fee 398 (isn’t it too much, isn’t it negotiable?)
    Adjusted cap cost: 29,345 (33,020-4500+825)

1. Never put money down on a lease. If that car is wrecked or stolen you're out $4500. And remember you return the car, so again, nothing down on the lease. Pay for what you use. This holds unless you're doing Multiple Security Deposits.

2. On a lease you negotiate the price of the car just as you would a purchase.

MF is the finance rate. That's a really high money factor (the one offered by bmw is 00250 on a 3 year/45k miles lease and that's obscenely high too).. Your rate is the equivalent of 7.3% apr. Ouch! Just get a loan and you'll save major bucks. It sounds like dealer is trying to scam you hard core.

Visit www.leaseguide.com to get more information on leasing.

If the car's msrp is 33k, you should be able to easily knock 1500 off that. Remember, the 3's a commodity just like a G35/TL. The mystique of the BMW has passed...it's a car and they want the deal.
    Eric,

1. 1k under msrp isn't such a hot deal for you. So cal = swing a dead cat and hit 5 3-series cars. They can do better. Which dealer? This sounds like San Diego BMW (the worst in San Diego by far).

They bumped the money factor as it's 00250 right now on 3 year/45k. That's over 1% (more actually) apr... or over $20 extra per month.

How the blazes are you gonna keep yourself under 12k miles a year in San Diego?! It's a 20 mile drive roundtrip to just about anywhere.

I'd suggest trying Cunningham BMW (1500 off shouldn't be a stretch) or Santa Barbara. Cunningham will try to bump the MF too. give them one point - MAX.
  • eric2005eric2005 Member Posts: 5
    Blueguydotcom,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I just started getting quotes and as this is my first bimmer, I have no idea about dealers in SD region...

As I read through this list, it seems that BMW is in great demand in California, so you won't get those 2500 off deals as in NJ/Long Island, and that's why I am trying to get a general idea here before negotiation :)

I will try Cunningham today too. By giving them one point, you mean 0.0026 right? How do you know BMW's current MF of 0.0025? I thought it's 0.0020 as I read the previous posts here...
  • virtualbmwvirtualbmw Member Posts: 86
    $1000 off and a point of so and the lease factor is a good offer in this market now. Most of the purchases are being transacted right at or near MSRP with max rate. You'll love the car. I'd go anead and get it. Instead of running all over the state trying to save $500 and getting a bunch of run-around.

By the way, Cunningham has just two cars, Brecht one, Harloff three.

Most of the dealers only have a couple so, I wouldn't expect them to bend over backwards to get rid of one. I think that you've been made a good offer.

Max money factor bump is 3 points with security deposit....check that out.
    Happy Motoring! ;)
    As I read through this list, it seems that BMW is in great demand in California, so you won't get those 2500 off deals as in NJ/Long Island, and that's why I am trying to get a general idea here before negotiation

Once you figure out what you want send those exact specs to a dealer with your price. Hit them with faxes or emails and request a callback for their counter-offer. Regardless of the dealers statements when you visit them, the 3 series is in serious competition with the rest of the entry lux class. They'll play ball and the fleet/internet guys are far more likely to do this than the salesguy on the lot.

If you don't need it now, ask aboutt cars headed for the USA. What's on lots at this moment shouldn't be your concern. Getting the car you want should be.

I will try Cunningham today too. By giving them one point, you mean 0.0026 right? How do you know BMW's current MF of 0.0025? I thought it's 0.0020 as I read the previous posts here...

It could be. I found the mf for 3 yr/45k miles. I couldn't find the 3 yr/36k MF. I just wonder how you can expect so few miles in San Diego?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Money factor is the same for any 36 month lease, regardless of 30K/36K/45K.. Base MF is .0025...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **They'll play ball and the fleet/internet guys are far more likely to do this than the salesguy on the lot** ..

Sorry .. but the internet manager is usually the lowest guy on the totum poll, they have little or no more horsepower than the "standing" salesperson, and they all get their prices from the GM anyway .. this is becoming more and more an "urban legend" as the days go by ...

Terry.
    I don't think even 45K is enough for San Diego, lol...

I am getting quotes for 15K as well.
    Residual (61%/63% for 12k/15k) seems to be the same among all dealers.

But I don't know if they are "supposed" to make some profits by pumping up the MF?
    Just like they are supposed to make money by charging over invoice :mad:

Also don't know how much I can talk down for the acquisition fee,
    which is $825 now compared with the normal $625?
    I hope that this isn't off-topic but in response to this post. I can tell you as the internet sales manager here that I don't have to check with anybody on a price. I structure all the deals including finance and it's up to me to determine selling price, rate, everything but a trade appraisal.

I know it's not like that everywhere and our internet department sells a lot more cars than most dealers do but I all the GM does is tell me that I'm doing a good job and gives me a little pat on the back about once a month.

Most of the internet and fleet departments aren't there to sell the cars cheaper. They are there to accomodate different types of buyers than the traditional lot traffic whether it be broker deals, fleet deals, out of state deals, internet deals....there's similar money made on all of these transactions. It's just faster, easier....maybe you deal with more savvy, veteran pros that hopefully are shooting you straight and have some good insight. I know our fleet and internet guys/gals here are among the top people in the industry. Very, very good people.
    But I don't know if they are "supposed" to make some profits by pumping up the MF?
    Just like they are supposed to make money by charging over invoice

It's an avenue for profit.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I really need to relocate, $500 off is like begging around here so $500 over would be a miracle. Is a good question though, How does your commission break down ? Has your center ever ran out of cars? Im assuming when they say allocation there is a limit to the number of cars one center can order ? Over 500k E46 were produced the highest model ever for BMW. Could they have sold 700k ? if the sales pricing was a little more aggressive?

DL
  • longhorn4longhorn4 Member Posts: 9
    What kind of deals are people getting in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex area (and which dealer)? I'm interested in 325i pricing--and finding that dealers here are in love with their cars, so much so that they're not willing to negotiate much. Thanks.
    Everything is relative........look at the cars in the segment and you'll see that the BMW is priced right about in the middle of the pack. And, arguably is the best bang for your back when considering total cost of ownership.

I'd say the pricing must have been pretty agressive seeing as they dominated the segment with that car.

I think what some people are experiencing is that there just aren't that many available 3's yet and a great # of the incoming vehicles are pre-sold. A "good deal" is certainly a state of mind and I'd bet that the people who have bought these cars already are quite pleased with their "deal".
  • garyhungaryhun Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help

Gary
  • ricearoni98ricearoni98 Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx - It does not extend the limited warranty for repairs, however.. It is just for the scheduled maintenance..
    So that means I need to also consider purchasing an extended warranty in addition to the maintenance. Thats fine, I am also assuming that I can purchase that later.
    After asking the sales guy and hearing "you must talk to the finance people to get the prices" leaves me cold. I expect the sales guy to be able to answer that kind of question.
    Thanks
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Great advice, great post!!! :shades:
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .. **I can tell you as the internet sales manager here that I don't have to check with anybody on a price. I structure all the deals including finance and it's up to me to determine selling price, rate, everything but a trade appraisal** ...

I'm sure my internet "managers" tell the same story ..l.o.l...

Terry ;)
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Yeah maybe they make tweaks to the looks in the next model year or the one after that.

The back end looks cheap and common.

People are kidding themselves if they think people pay without any regard to looks or that they should give no such consideration.
    People are kidding themselves if they think people pay without any regard to looks or that they should give no such consideration.

i have. Bought an 01 Jetta 1.8T even though I thought it looked like a Bauhaus pillbug. Bought an 03 330i ZHP even though I think it looks like a sleepy dog with an overbite. and my 03 Protege was what color?...I think green. I sold it two weeks ago and the details of it are slipping away faster than Oprah in an avalanche.

Assuming I do ED an e90, I can assure you I find it even less attractive than my Protege. I'm buying the car for how it drives. And it's competition is just as homely.
  • bmwyayabmwyaya Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

I just placed an order for a 2006 325i on the first week of June. To those who have recent experience with custom ordering a new BMW, and expecially those who ordered the 2006 3 series, how long would it take (approx) to be ready for delivery to the customer? Also, since BMW is manufacturing some of the 325i in South Africa, what is the odd of getting on from this plant?
    If you are the original owner, you can purchase an extended warranty from BMW that is basically the same as the CPO warranty.. The rules are the same as for the extended maintenance contract..

On the last model 3-series the "list price" was $2249... I haven't heard what they might be charging on the new one, but I'm guessing it is the same..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    My car was in 112 status , started prduction and it arrived in one month,also there was a day or two holdup for the Official Launch.If your on the East coast id say thats a good time frame.If on the west a little longer. Also if you join OC on BMWUSA.com, they are slow to update, and will not list you options,just color and model.Just fyi

DL
  • doriseldorisel Member Posts: 4
    i am interested in the 325i. (base model + automatic) i spoke to the dealer about the current lease offer of 399/mth. couldn't believe they wanted 3300 down! so, i asked the dealer to tell me how much the payment would be without a down payment, just the security deposit and the first month's payment. it jumped to $505! please help me determine how this was calculated? it just smelled like a lemon to me! :lemon:
  • jspearsjspears Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone,

I guess I need another little help here.

Basically, I'm looking for a new 2006 325i with a metallic paint and a manual transmission. Nothing else, as most of the things I want come standard.

MSRP $31470
    INVOICE $28880
    Purchase price $30970 (best quote so far and this includes everything except tax, license, and fee)

I haven't negotiated with the dealership yet. I'm looking to pay cash. Is this a good deal?

My dealership doesn't have the exact car that I want now but they said they can certainly find one in the area (So Cal). They'll just need a $500 deposit and I should have the car in a couple of days.

Thanks.

JS
    After getting some unsatisfactory quotes from dealerships,
    I contacted FleetRate.com which I saw on e90post.com,
    and they gave me some very competitive lease rates,
    about 40 per month less than dealers, both with 0 down.
    I am just wondering if anyone has used their service before,
    are they reliable and trustable?
    Is there any hidden catch? (I know I have to wait 6-8 weeks)
    Thanks.
  • bmwyayabmwyaya Member Posts: 11
    When i placed order for the new 2006 BMW 325i, there was just an agreement on the price of the vehicle and a proof of paid deposit. Do I contact the dealer for the production number or what do I do?
    What is the current money factor for bmw? I live in Memphis, TN and I asked the dealer about the money factor for the 2006 325i. In comparison with the information posted, this seems high.
  • rudygrudyg Member Posts: 2
    Could someone recommend a good BMW dealership/salesperson in So Cal, particularly in the eastern Los Angeles County/San Bernadino area? I am looking to buy a 325i in the near future.

thanks for the info...
  • chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    I have my VIN and Production Number and keep checking the Owner's Circle to find out when I can really expect my car to come in.

Generally, how long from Waiting for Transportation to In-Transit and how long from on the boat to customer delivery? I still have my 328i to sell before I can have my complete down payment available.
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    DFW dealers in general are hard to deal with.
    Visit Autobahn Motors in Fortworth and ask for Kamran.
    He provided me and my friend some good deals on the e46 models.

AMT-
  • 330lover330lover Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a 330ci and got this offer from a dealer. Is this a good deal?

Silver grey exterior
    Automatic
    Sport package
    Premium package (includes Black leather interior)

Dealer quotes:

$44,345 sticker price
    $42,800 our price (for AAA discount w/ no haggling)

According to this site, invoice is $39,005 and TMV is $41,857 (including Dest chg). Doesn't sound like that great of a deal...

I hear these cars are often preloaded w/ all these packages and that the cars sell like hot cakes, leaving little room for negotiating. is this a good price? should i go through the pain of haggling...but is there much buyer power on these great cars?

thx for your help,
    330lover :blush:
    Base MF is .0025.. they are likely marking up the rate the maximum .0004 and also increasing it by .00015 as a security deposit waiver...

Insist on base rates..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"I hear these cars are often preloaded w/ all these packages and that the cars sell like hot cakes, leaving little room for negotiating."

Gee.. .who told you that? The dealer?

I think that TMV would be a much better number to shoot for... In fact, that is the highest I would pay..

The pain of haggling? I can take a lot of pain for $1000..

Have you considered leasing? The lease money factors and residuals are almost too good to pass up on the coupes...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I am not an 'informed' consumer, and I don't want to go into the dealership in this state. You mentioned in another posting that the residuals are 'too good to pass up on the coupe'. What does this mean? Are residual values dynamic?

I want the 325i and they have the lease offer going on for $399/mth -which includes $3300 due at signing which I can't afford. If I pass up on this offer until I have better cashflow, what would I really be passing up on? What is the incentive to take advantage of the lease offer? Are there favorable factors included that would not be available at a later time?
    The coupes are '05 models.. A completely different model from the '06 325i sedan that you are considering.. Different models can have different residuals... But, the other factor to consider is the money factor.. The money factor on the '05 330Ci coupe is only .0008

The lease deals on the new '06 3-series aren't anything special.. But, if you don't have $3300 for a downpayment, I'd save up for awhile, or look for a cheaper car...

Without the $3300 upfront, and with tax added, the model you are considering will be about $500/mo.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Yes you made that clear several times. But most of the market is not like that. They care about looks and color and less about driving dynamics when they'll be sitting in stop and go traffic.

That is why the car makers devote a lot of money to design studios and designers.
  • baekhobaekho Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I got a quote for bmw 330 coupe 2005 with residual of 57% and mf 0.00095. Is this a good residual %? I ask since the X3 is 59 % and last time i went to see the 2006 330 sedan they boosted the residual around 59-60%

thanks
    Those are the correct numbers... However, that is the MF with the security deposit waived.. Make a security deposit and the money factor drops to .0008..

These are supported residuals and money factors.. You can't really compare it to other models, as each vehicle might need a different level of financial support, depending on sales, inventory, etc...

It all works out to a very good lease deal on the coupes... I wouldn't buy one, with lease deals this good.. Same goes for the X3 3.0...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• baekhobaekho Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I am interested in knowing why you don't recommend me buying the 330 coupe even though it is a great deal on mf and residual %. Is it due to reliability problems, overpriced, etc. I ask since your reply mentioned it a good deal, but "I wouldn't buy one"

Also, i was quoted for a price around 2300 off MSRP so still around 1500 over invoice? Is this good or do i have some haggle room? I heard there were factory to dealer incentive of 3800 for these coupes.

thanks again
    I wouldn't buy... because, I would lease...

No cash incentives on the coupes... all of the incentives are in the lease numbers..

You might get a dealer to come down another $500, but it is much more important that they use the base lease rates... They can cost you an easy $1000 extra by marking them up....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lbllbl Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any numbers on 330xi? What I am looking for is the basic numbers to calculate my lease payments. Thanks.
    On a new '06? They probably won't have a lease program available until shortly before they are scheduled for delivery... Isn't that August or September?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I talked to a dealer and he wants to place an order in July for Sept or Oct delivery. Is this smart without knowing the prices? Should I test drive it first? I test drove 2006 330i and it handles very well. I am just wondering whether I won't be unpleasantly surprised with xi. Thanks.
    As far as the MSRP, figure about $2K more than the comparable 330i...

The lease residuals for the AWD models have historically been a few % points less than the RWD models.. So, expect it to be a little more expensive to lease, on top of the higher price..

The drive? Hard to say... On the old model, I thought that the xi was noticeably slower... but, the more horsepower, the less you notice things like that.. And, the new model is substantially more powerful... Handling? I drive a sport package equipped RWD model, so I see big differences between mine and an AWD with all-season tires.. But, those that have non-sport models seem to think there isn't that much difference...

It is still a BMW 3-series.. Even in AWD form, it will out-handle 95% of the rest of them....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks again for your reply and opinion. It helps a lot in deciding whether to go with AWD or RWD. My wife insists on AWD because of her bad experience with my 2002i with sports suspension. I was dumb enough not to put snow tires (we live in northern NJ) and she got REALLY scared when the car started sliding. From that point on, she only wants AWD. One more question, please: do you think that snow tires on RWD would make things equal with AWD when it comes to ice or a few inches of snow. We do not plan to go out into the heavy snowstorm, but when you have to get to work in the snow I admit that it is not fun to slip and slide. Thanks.
    You might give up a little in straight away traction to an AWD with all-seasons...

But, you'll be able to stop and turn better..

Where I live it is very hilly, and probably equal to NJ in snow (Cincinnati).. The only time we've had a problem in the last two years.. is when we got 9" this past winter... Almost got stuck in a parking lot, where the snow was up to the side sills... Then, I remembered to turn off the traction control... and I got out..

Between the stability control and the winter tires, I'd rather be in the 3-series than my Honda CR-V.. (except for the fear of BMW body damage)... I don't have to worry about getting stuck in the CR-V, but it isn't nearly as stable in the slick stuff..

I especially like the fact that I don't have the handling/weight penalty for the 98% of the time that I drive in non-snowy conditions..

Now... none of that may convince your wife..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, KYFDX. You are absolutely right about the last sentence, but I'll make sure to show her your replies. Wish me luck! Thanks, again.
  • upandownupandown Member Posts: 2
    Hi people. I've been reading these threads for a while and decided to weigh in with a question:

I drive 20k miles a year in Northern California and want a 3-series sedan with a manual transmission. Which makes more economic sense when considering resale three or four years down the road...a new 325 w/premium and sport at (U tell me a good price number---15-hundred over?)

Or a late model 325 or 330. I see the market flooded with '04 325's and am astounded at the prices. Dealers want as much as $5k over wholesale on '02's, '03's, '04's (based on Manheim figures).

What is the wiggle room and your advice, based on experience? Which car will cost me less in the long term? Should I wait a few months, expecting the 3-series to weaken, once the novelty wears off and Lexus introduces its new IS-300?

And why, for cryin' out loud, do BMW salesmen act as if they're selling one-of-a-kinds, instead of cars.

I purchased my first 3- series at 200 over in 1992, and am spoiled.
    The new x-drive technology will allow the 3 to be 100% RWD on dry pavement. This car will handle amazingly well and will have a clear safety and performance benefit over it's RWD version. The base price will be $1900 more. That will be the car to have......

BMW's ARE one-of-a-kind in the industry and the company wants it to be an experience that amounts to more than just pulling out an invoice and going back and forth a few times when you buy one. Hopefully, you've got a savvy, experienced client advisor to provide a professional, maybe even enjoyable, experience. Other brands do the same thing. Ever been to the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas.....they are just rooms, right?
  • tootsie1tootsie1 Member Posts: 27
    I'll tell you that in addition to driving a BMW which I love for the driving dynamics and technolgy and understated good looks, I also drive a Mustang convertible strictly for it's good looks. That car is not as comfortable, and nowhere near the handling of my BMW -- but the image is pure icon -- as American as ice cold lemonade on the 4th of July. To say looks don't matter might sound nice when being set up on a blind date -- but I really don't think it holds true when buing a car -- unless one is buying a Priius -- which is not an attractive car per se, but still represents an image of caring about the enviorment. Writing this from LA wgere you are what you drive -- deal with it.