Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• steved1steved1 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a 2000 C70 Convert HP with about 30k miles today ... great looking car!

A few things really struck me though and I love to hear from some owners.

I'm looking for a true 4 seat convertible and have narrowed the field, pretty much to the Sebring. I'd really like a 'nicer' car though.

The C70 had a lot of cowl shake, the steering wheel, rear view mirror and trunk were all moving in different directions on uneven pavement, even at low speeds. The salesman swears it didn't do that the last time he was in the car...and that something must be wrong. It was really loose, the rental return Sebrings I've driven are much more solid. Are they all that loose?

Second, the top, though very cool, takes a long time to put up and down. It also looks like a very complex mechanism. How reliable are they and does the up/down time ever cause a problem.

Third, rear seat access. The mechanism that moves the seat forward to allow access to the rear moved very slowly, is this normal? Once forward, the access seems fine but, it took forever.

The car also seemed sluggish from a stop. Once the engine got to 2000 rpms, the thrust was great, until then, it really felt slow. Again, is that normal? Does the low pressure turbo have the same throttle response?

Thanks for your insight
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Tmart will be able to comment on the convertible aspects, but I have a 00 HT Coupe.

1. Don't know about the steering wheel and trunk, but unless you have a constant seizure, that rear view mirror is always gonna look hippity Hop. Mine is usually because I've got the stereo too loud but yes....You can count on that being a constant.
    2. Tommy
    3. Unless you are still moving the seat back to it's normal position, then your seat is faster than normal. Yes the electronic seats move about as fast as the 'Heads' on Easter Island move. You can count on that being a constant as well.
    4. The LT is good off the line. You will eventually find a comfort level with the HT and be able to take if off the line quicker but the great thing about the HT is the turbo when you're passing. If you're doing 40mph and you want a little kick....that thing will move faster than then TMart's Astros moved up the Wild Card rankings in the month of September.

Tommy... Still debating about the trip. Not sure we have enough "Baby Einstein" videos to play in the XC90 for 16 hours before Squeaker starts screaming her brains out. If we do it, we may have to fly down. I'll give you a holler.

GO CUBS!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    I've not yet figured out the cowl shake thing. I just don't see or feel things moving when going over railroad tracks, etc. Maybe my 99 LT convertible is unusually tight. I just don't experience it, even when rr tracks make the CD player skip.
    The top operation is very complex and poetry in motion. Believe the top time is approx. 30 seconds, up or down. Down time is not a problem. The only problem with the up time is when surprised by a sudden shower and there's nothing to park under. The 30 seconds seem like forever! Fortunately, I've only been caught twice in 4+ years. Not really sure how to address the reliability aspect. Last January a new top was installed (under warranty). The top had to come from Sweden! My dealership said it was the first one they've replaced. So far no further top problems.
    I've not driven a HT, coupe or convert, so I can't speak to it's off the line acceleration. However, the LT is faster off the line than the HT....up to around 35 to 40, then the HT shines. The LT has a larger engine and delivers more torque at lower RPM's, but once the HT's turbo gets going, even with the smaller engine, it's no contest.
    Be sure to get one with the SC-901 Dolby Surround System. It IS worth the extra dollars.
  • rtarabourtarabou Member Posts: 3
    Any ideas as to what I should use to lubricate the window seals / door jambs? My car squeaks a bit over bumps. I know that some is normal, but I would like to reduce it as much as possible.
    a month!! Has everyone pulled a Soledoc??
    I just think what it means is that with 1133 posts, no one needs to ask a question of the experts anymore.

Bet Soledoc's ears are ringing right abot now.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm quite certain it will heat up when the all new C70 hits.
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Time to chime in--Just took delivery of an '04 LPT in white/beige. Also have an '02 V70 2.4t in the driveway. DW has always admired the C70 and we downsized from a Tribute to the convertible(using the V70 as the Home Depot workhorse now). Past ragtops were a VW Cabrio and Miata(for 9 years). The C70 is WAY grown up compared to those(albeit at twice the price!). One Epinions reviewer knocked the C70 from stem to stern...everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some points had validity. The drive feel is similar to the V70 in that the comfy ride at mild speed/cornering makes for less-than-secure footing/feel at more energetic speeds...not a terrible trade-off. Also, the vibration/noise is a touch greater than we hoped for but we have made one change that has made a big difference. Our C70 came with 'upgraded' 17" wheels and P6000 tires which made for a very sensitive ride over imperfect pavement. We swapped the 'bling-bling' wheels/tires for the 16" set up from the wagon--quite a difference! The wagon handles a little tighter and the convertible is smoother, especially during cornering on roughish pavement. Just a couple of other nits but I'll check in as we put on more miles. BTW, the prices in Atlanta(Nalley) are quite aggressive...our deal was approx. $8k off sticker.
    Good move on getting rid of the P6000's as there is usually nothing good said about them. You would notice a huge difference going back to the 17". I dropped my Michelins after 45k and put on Bridgestone Potenza's which handle much better in the wet.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    I'm about to do the same. I have a C70 Coupe with the 17" Comet Wheels and Michelin Pilots with 12,000 miles. Thinking of ordering the 16" Zeus Wheels (not sure what tires) to help with winter driving and make for a smoother ride. Will sell the 17" somehow to lower the cost of the 16".
  • otisotis Member Posts: 12
    Rick,
    I also bought my 04 C70 from Nalley in Atlanta,GA...very happy with the price. They seem to have enough in inventory to make those deals (I saw 5 there last week). The Audi dealer down the street was willing to come off an A4 Cab all of $800, while Nalley earned my business with a deal like yours (42 sticker, 35.5 sell price). Also had my first service done there and for the first time ever, I really felt like a luxury car owner. Treated me right, got same day service, and a free wash and detail...nice.
    otis, This is our third Volvo from Nalley(formerly Chris) and except for a period when Chris used rental vehicles as service loaners, we have been very pleased. The in-house service ain't cheap but I think it's worth it. Of course, our C70s came with the free maintenance! Our V70 is approaching 30k miles so I may sing a different tune after that 'major' service. The MXVs off the wagon (now on the C70) will need replacing by spring...will begin a tire search in the next few weeks. Also plan to add a small hitch to handle a bike rack. Roswell Bikes recommended an installer(~$150 installed).
    I never asked but...is Volvo in the wheel business? The wheel 'poster' showing their styles offers DOZENS of models. Anybody know the reason for their 'obsession' with wheel design?
    Well... I have heard that the reason for the square fronts is to keep the Elk/Reindeer on their feet after they've been hit and to keep them from coming through the windshield. Perhaps the different wheels offer a safe level of comfort after rolling over anything that is left in the aftermath.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Your right about the nose design on Volvo's. Designed to keep moose are arms length on the hood of your car.

If you look at the wheel poster, alot of those wheels are no longer offered. They are for old S40's. S70's, S90's etc.
    Keeping the moose (or mooses) at arms length - so that's the reason for the front end styling? Good thing we don't get many of those here in Georgia, USA...but I did happen upon a 2" high dead squirrel - got 'em with the front spoiler if you know what I mean!
    That's the great thing about Volvo's front spoilers being more flattened out across the front then tapered. Better chance of blunt trauma then a glancing blow that allows those pesky short ones to roll with the impact and escape.
    ...Could it be any LOWER?!? We've already retouched ours from scraping on a couple of curbstops(that weren't all that high) and subsequently scraped it AGAIN on a driveway with only a slightly deep drain gutter along the street. Our S40 was similar; fortunately, the V70 is not so low. Guess we'll make friends with the body shop guys at the dealership!
    Also, anybody know if the C70 keyless remote can be tied into the memory seats(as is the case with the V70)? Since DW and I switch driving duties frequently, we find this feature convenient. Is it correct that the outside mirrors are NOT tied into the memory?...seems odd that the C70 would not have that feature(again, the V70 does). Great car! We are still finding little features that impress/disappoint us! Bring on the mild weather and sunshine!
    Rick,
    The C70 memory seats are not tied to the key fob. The reason your V70 is, is that it is based on a newer design, The S80/S60, I think. The dealer that sold us our C70 convertible talked about this feature and we found out only after purchase that it was not true for the older C70 platform - derived from the older S70/850 from the early to mid 90's. So unfortunately, you will have to keep manually pressing the 1-2-3 button and moving your own mirrors each time you drive after your wife...still well worth it to take the convertible when you can, I'd say! On a final note I have found it helpful to set seat memory position 3 to full forward and no recline so the two kids can accees the back seats that way and not have to bother with the pull up/push forward method of that lever on the side. After 6 months of our new Volvo, we have definitely found much more to love than loathe on this beauty!
    Wish I'd thought of it years ago. That lever on the seatback is always a pain to use. Thanks.
    otis, great idea for M3 on the seat! Wouldn't you know it...after all my praise, the C70 is having starting problems. Car will cold-start fine; but, on restart, it fires up and immediately dies after the RPM drops. This morning, it would not restart until waiting over an hour. It's at Nalley as we speak. Hope it's an easy fix.(Never had this prob with the V70 or S40)
    As long as we're chatting...has anyone figured out how to actually SEE anything out the back window? I'm almost tempted to attach a mirror at a higher point than OEM(only kidding, sort of, would do it if I could). Man, it's tough to see anything shorter than an SUV out the back.
    Dealer just called re: the starting prob. The computer was having trouble reading the 'ring' in the ignition and 'allowing' the car to start. Has been corrected according to Nalley and we might even drop the top on the way home tonight!
    DROP THE TOP!! Two years ago I almost backed into a Miata. One nice thing though is headlights from behind aren't much of a problem.
    TMart got it right...Drop the top and turn around! Best rearward visibility in the business. Of couse if it's raining, I just have my wife stand near the back and spot me. I love it when she sports that just-got-out-of-the-shower look. It is worth noting that every convertible on the market has this visibility problem, you just get used to it. TMart has also realized the upside when he says car headlights behind you are now a non-issue I noticed the same thing the first week with this car...only jacked up Georgia trucks with gunracks and confederate flags bother me at night (actually in the daytime too when I can see whose operating them - gives me the creeps). As far as almost hitting stuff backing up in lots, I now take more notice of what's behind my parked C70 as I approach it or get in - I'm usually staring at it as I get close anyway, noticing the beautifully rounded rear quarters, etc...now I look a few feet farther back too...you know, an ounce of prevention is better than that expensive game of miata-tag.
  • elenaraaaaaaelenaraaaaaa Member Posts: 3
    my 1998 volvo c70 is a nightmare. it is my very first automobile and i leased it from a used car lot in 2001 with 60k miles on it. since then ive put 25k miles on it and had nothing but problems with it. the service engine light has been on since i got the car, noone has been able to turn it off (i didnt take it to a volvo repair center because i didnt have time and patience to look for one) it rattles all over, the noises that car makes are unbearable. sometimes it makes more noise than my music. my struts keep breaking because of the wonderful roads here in new york and because the car has low profile tires. my tracks off light all of a sudden decided to glare as well as my abs lights. my shift stick gets jammed whenever i put it into park and had numerous repair men call me to ask me how to get the key out. i get really embarrassed when i tell them they need to give it a little bang. not to mention all the minor incoveniences like my trunk light not working, consistently getting flat tires, the passenger seat does not fold forward for someone to get in, the passenger window will not roll up from my side, etc, etc... i took that car into the repair shop more than ive visited my doctor. my lease is over in a month and i cant wait to get out of it. i tried to get out of the lease less than a month after i leased the vehicle and those jerks gave me the run around about it until their policy of being able to return the car after one month was over and i could do nothing about it. MAJORWORLD AUTO was the place i got it from on northern boulevard. the tire had a bubble on it which i didnt notice and i brought it back to them to change it immediately, and they took off all of the rest of my pirelli's and gave me crappy tires that ended blowing out on me while i was driving on the highway THE VERY NEXT DAY AFTER I BROUGHT IT HOME. i could have gotten hurt or killed by their corruptedness. the one positive thing i have to say about the car is that the exterior is unique. i have seen 1 volvo coupe (and 2 convertibles) on the road for the total of 3 years ive driven it. i feel proud when i walk to my car, but the minute the ignition key goes in i just want to cry. im too embarrassed to put passengers in it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    To be blunt, it sounds like you can only blame yourself most of all. If the car had so many issues the day you bought it .... well... why the heck did you buy it?? And to say "nobody can turn off the check engine light" but "i didn't take it to a volvo repair center" is just plain silly.

The only thing I can help you with is the ABS/Tracs thing. Its a common problem and not too expensive of a fix ... if you are mechanically inclined. It sounds like you are most definitely not, so my suggestion is to leave the light shining bright until you turn it in at the end of the lease.

Maybe this will teach you that its not a good idea to lease ANY car that is out of warranty.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Not to mention that it's a 98.
    Leasing a used car isn't a bad idea, if you have a warranty.
    A Volvo Certified car would have been best, but more $$$.

Your probably going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a Volvo dealer to get it fixed.
    Only major problem has been having to replace the top last year. Craig, did you ever make it here as you were planning?
    i was desperate for a car because i was working 3 jobs at the time and i needed to get myself around and i was taking mass transit to each and every one of them. i will not bite the bullet for someone taking advantage of a young female purchasing her first automobile by herself because she had noone to go with. they smelled the desperosity on my breath and they took advantage of me. not to mention they hit me hard on my lease payments because i didnt know any better. things started to fall apart slowly and steadily like the seats and windows almost immediately. they must have done some work on it and it wasnt done properly so they became loose with each bump i hit on the road. as for the lights, they will be TAKEN CARE OF but their problem will not become my problem, so thanks for your suggestion. other than that, i took it for its regular oil changes every 3 months, and the exterior and interior is still in awesome condition just the way i got it 3 years ago.
    the reason i purchased the volvo and not any other car on that lot is because of volvo's reputation for them being the safest cars on the road. dont forget, there was another driver in that car for 3 years prior and they accumulated 60k miles on the car...i knew so little about cars back then that i thought that was pretty good. i figured it was all highway miles so it shouldnt be so bad. well i thought wrong.
    and as for learning my lesson on an out of warranty car, i will only lease an automobile that is brand spanking new from now on. LESSON LEARNED.
    well, as volvomax pointed out, it doesn't have to be new, but, yes, like I said, definitely needs a warranty. There is no worse punishment than paying for repairs on a vehicle you are basically renting.

I gotta give you credit for coming back and posting again. Most people who write initial posts like yours sign up on Edmunds, make that one post bashing a car, and then are never heard from again. So I'm glad you came back for a follow-up.

Now, the big question is, would your next lease be another Volvo? And, this time, if so, I hope its from a reputable Volvo dealer and has a warranty (whether that be a certified pre-owned or new).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

honestly, i doubt i will be able to lease another volvo. i was able to afford that one because it was used, and i couldnt bring myself to lease another volvo that is a step down from the one i already had (even though the one i had was problematic). the c70 in my opinion is one of the classiest looking cars out there. it felt amazing knowing there was not ONE CAR on the road like my car. sometimes i would tune out of the issues the car had and i would blast the music (with my dolby surround system :-) and just forget everything that was going wrong and focus that im in a hot car with my favorite music blaring. but the truth of the matter is....ny is not the place to drive it. too many bumps and with the car already having predisposed issues with having loose parts, it wouldnt be a smart thing for me or anyone to do.
    i took a slight look at the volvo s40. with all these taxes, title and registration fees, as well as assumption fees (which i have no idea what it is) and throw in a little wink fees, im torn because of the problems this volvo gave me and what could happen with another volvo. im fairly new to this car thing. i learned more about cars in these past 2 months that i knew about my whole life!!! i am leaning towards the honda because of all the rave reviews that company holds for long lasting cars that never break down. i know the car i get after the honda will be well researched and i will know how to do that because of what i learned now, but unfortunately i dont have time to do that at this point in time. i need to take the safe way out. guess what? my car didnt start today! yay!!! i thought it was the starter and i was cursing out the car again, but it turned out to be the battery. my brother was able to come and figure out the problem and give me a boost. i dont have time to even extend the lease because other things may fall apart and im not willing to dish out money for a car, thats right, that im renting. especially when im saving money for a down payment on my next vehicle. im so torn because i like european cars and the honda is so mass produced that everyone has a honda or ten on their block. but i definately want to lease a new vehicle because of the warranty and the cushion it provides for me to properly maintain my vehicle. they set up when i need to bring it in for service, etc. etc. it is their car and they want to make every effort i take care of it until i give it back.
    got any feed back on the s40 for me?
    Not yet. Coach has asked that I stay warm in case they need me with everyone injured on the pacers.

Oh great....and just as I say that Jamaal Tinsley sprains his ankle. Durn I knew we should have traded Artest!
  • steamroll9steamroll9 Member Posts: 14
    I'm very interested in buying, i've been a big fan of the car for years. Here is my one concern, I'm a big guy(6'3", 285), i'm concerned with my long time comfort in the car, i'm not huge, but a bit tall. I felt comfortable(best seats ever!) on my test drive, but i'm not sure(i have enough trouble deciding what to eat when i got out, let alone a car)Any tall C70 owners out there that can give me some reasurance?

Would also love to hear some feedback from owners.

Thanx!
    Hi steamroll:

I'm 6 foot one (mostly legs) and have a ton of space.

The back seats of the car actually taught me the the trick that I've used when I have a friend in the back seat. This is that I move the chair up a bit and then tilt the base 'front up' so that my knees are sloping upwards towards the steering wheel. This gives me a ton of room as long as my knees are not directly under the wheel. If you are not going to have anyone in the back seat that often you should try this.
    I'm 6'5" and have never been more comfortable in any car than in my Volvo. Now, granted, I have the S70, but I've sat in the C70 and I found the seat to feel exactly the same (so I believe it is).

I'm going to need to get tires pretty soon after I get the car(i'm in NY and winter is almost upon us). It has 17" rims, i need a decent tire, don't have a fortune to spend on them, but not going to buy the cheapest either. Tread life and traction are important, but mostly important is sidewall strength(again, live in NY, land of the pot holes, if i keep getting flats i will shoot myself).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS-How much would the 15k miles check up be at a Volvo service center?
    I put a set of Continental Conti-Extremes on my T5 last November (therefore, have seen all 4 season with them) and they've served me quite well here in Jersey through snow, rain, and dry weather. However, I have 16" wheels, so take that info for what its worth.

I have 17" on my 00 HT. I use the Bridgestone Potenzas that I bought off Tirerack. Winter was mild last year so I kept them on all year.

Better than the Pilot's in the rain and I am currently sitting at 82,000. These were put on at 40,000 and the wear has been pretty even. Guys at the dealership are telling me I'm definitely ok for another 5-10k.
    I'm going to need to get tires pretty soon after I get the car(i'm in NY and winter is almost upon us). It has 17" rims, i need a decent tire, don't have a fortune to spend on them, but not going to buy the cheapest either. Tread life and traction are important, but mostly important is sidewall strength(again, live in NY, land of the pot holes, if i keep getting flats i will shoot myself).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS-How much would the 15k miles check up be at a Volvo service center?
    I've noticed a couple of times, when I cycle through the trip computer(like this morning), that when i stop on one of the items, the display says DISC and all of the tabs are highlighted(the little black marker that tells you what selection your on, all of them come on). when i go and switch to another one, it will be fine. just wondering if this is something i should get checked out and if anyone else has experienced this?
    That trip computer gremlin is new to me...haven't seen it in our 4K miles. BTW, one of the things I miss comparing our V70 with the new C70 is the little pocket on the front of the seats...good for spare sunglasses, pen, maglite, etc. Would come in handy with the limited storage available.
    this is VERY common. This happens with age as the connectors inside the switch get dirty. There are a couple of things you can do. The first and easiest is to quickly cycle the switch all the way clockwise and counterclockwise several times very quickly. This will help to clean the contacts. The other you can do is remove the switch, take it apart, and manually clean the contacts. But, rest assured, its not a big deal and will not hurt anything, nor will it cost you money.

Very attractive car!

From the front it looks like the S40, although the center of the fron bumper juts out a little.

The rear tailights are like the S40's only wider, the trunk opening is narrower.

Inside 4 seats, room looked good in the back.

S40's dash is carried over.

In profile the car had a more wedge shape than the current C70.

With the metal roof up it was very attractive as well, looks like a new CLK.

The bad news, probably won't see the car until spring of 2006.
  • cmthovcmthov Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a pristine 1999 C70. The original owner doesn't know if the engine is 2.3 or 2.4 liters; owners' manual and all obvious plates and tags are no help. Short of having a dealer check the VIN is there simple way to determine engine displacement?
    when you say obvious plates and tags, are you also including those under the hood?

You can check the VIN number yourself. If it has ...NC56... it is the low turbo engine with 2.4 liters.
    Tell the owner that you need to take it for a spin.

Take if off the line and if winds up pretty easy and goes, chances are it's a 2.4

Then cruising at 30mph, hit it. If it puts you in the back seat it's a 2.3.

If in doubt....repeat until satisfied.
    Craig, I like your way of thinking!! Did you go to the Bears game last weekend? Could not believe how cold it was there. Go Texans! Don't know how y'all handle that kind of weather for months and months. It's freezing down here at night and way too cold for topless driving. The butt warmers are getting a workout. There's even a chance of that white stuff Christmas Eve. We're use to wearing shorts and short sleeves at Christmas and having the AC on. Hope you have a Merry and Safe Christmas.