Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    As far as I know, you should add MACO fees if applicable where you are and doc fees. That should come to roughly $500 over the Edmunds invoice. Also, the car (believe it or not) does not come with floor mats, so you have to add $125 for that. In my opinion, $500 to $1000 over the Edmunds invoice is a good deal since that is just about invoice or a bit over.

In my opinion, you should also try to get the best deal possible. That is exactly what the dealer is trying to do and it's also exactly what bmw is trying to do. I find nothing wrong with it. Everyone involved is acting in their own best interest and that is how it should be. Dealers are getting squeezed quite a bit these days and that is something that auto manufacturers will need to address in some way. If they want top quality sales people, they will need to find a way to compensate them more. The problem cannot be solved by expecting consumers to pay more simply out of generosity. If we were willing to do that, we should also think about paying extra at the gas pump because the gas station margins are also very thin.
  • likecars1likecars1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, sounds like a good deal to me. I'm looking for a similar deal, may I ask you what dealership you got that deal from? Thanks!
  • bds76bds76 Member Posts: 7
    Update--

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts. I got sidetracked for awhile, but finally ordered a car a couple days ago.

On a whim, I asked the military sales plan (MSP) dealer to remind me of how long it would be before I could get a production slot for a 335i. Fortuitiously, he had a cancellation and I now have a slot for an early November build.

Specs: 335i, MT, Metallic Paint, Sport Package, Assist/Bluetooth, iPod adapter. MSRP: $44,300. MSP Price: 41875. Both including delivery. That as well as what seems to me to be a pretty quick build was enough for me. Can't wait for delivery!

-b
  • bmw328leasebmw328lease Member Posts: 17
    PM me for additional info.
  • jabberjabber Member Posts: 64
    Appreciate your perspective, but it's a little difficult for me to accept your McDonald's or Walmart analogies. When I go into McDonald's I don't have to negotiate for my happy meal. Nor is the Manager trying to sell me overpriced insurance policies in case someone steals my happy meal when I leave the restaurant (window etching) or trying to jack up the interest rate on the credit card I use to buy my meal despite my credit score being 800+.

I understand everyone needs to make a profit, but the current environment where pricing and other information is readily available to the consumer is a function of car dealers' own doing. It's simply a defensive response. Most consumers would be willing to accept a fair deal, but give a dealer the opportunity to pound somebody who is less informed and they will do it every single time.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"he had a cancellation and I now have a slot for an early November build."

Does it take longer for military purchases?

I'll be ordering a 535i within a week or so... judging by your experience, mine might not be built until December and delivered in January? :surprise:
    I think it just depends on how popular the model is. The 328 production slots were available without much of a delay, the 335i slots that were available (had there not been a cancellation) were available in 2009. I'm assuming you're using the military purchase program as well? I suggest you just contact one of the MSP dealers and ask them how long the process would take.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"the 335i slots that were available (had there not been a cancellation) were available in 2009"

Wow - that's a pretty big delay. ;) I'm guessing you mean 2008, right?

>"I'm assuming you're using the military purchase program as well?"

Nope - just a Regular Joe, not the GI version.
    DOH. Yeah, that was a typo. I meant 2008.

Re: how long it will take you to get your 5-series, I have no idea. Guess it just depends on when your dealer can get you a production slot.
  • trewquistrewquis Member Posts: 30
    I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying. The sales staff does not make a lot of money; however, the dealerships are extremely profitable. In that regard, it is like Walmart, the execs and owners make all the money and the workers just get by, if they are lucky. This is not the customers' fault, take it up with management for more equitable pay.

Personally, I think the whole system is broken. What value do the dealers add? Wouldn't it be better if they just had a few regional centers where you could test the cars and order directly from the manufacturer? Cutting out the middleman would save the consumer money and the stress of the whole experience. As is, it's hard to even find many models for a test drive, let alone divining the best price and separating the BS from reality.
  • jr2219jr2219 Member Posts: 7
    I absolutely agree with the idea of regional centers. It is a shame to to have to deal with bush league sales tactics when purchasing or leasing an expensive vehicle. The process should not be such a mystery when you walk into a dealership. The consumer should have the choice to go direct.
  • hcc2007hcc2007 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a 2007 bmw 328xi sedan color: gray, automatic. I would like to buy it by the end of this month. I would like to know how much I need to pay if I don't use leasing which means I would like to pay in CASH. How much can I negotiate with the dealer? What is a realistic price I can get if I have both cold weather package and premium package OR just weather package only included?

OR Should I wait until 2008 model arrive to the US?
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    07 is the way to go for a discount. 08 will be better if you want to lease. Dealers will want to get rid of any 07's so get them now while they still have them
  • rudi2rudi2 Member Posts: 23
    How much should I expect to pay on a 2007 X3 with cold weather package leasing for 24-36 months at 18,000 miles per year?
  • muddyymuddyy Member Posts: 60
    I almost ordered a 2007 328xi in early August and was told when and if it came in in Sept or October that it might arrive as a 2008 model (meaning there wasn't any 07's left). I passed on the deal. Now, September 20th I still haven't seen any pics or heard anything about the 2008 model. Does anyone know why this is? Why would the dealer would tell me I actually may (likely) be getting an 08 if I ordered an 07 in August? I may go back and buy one in a month but can't seem to get a straight answer to these simple questions:

1. If I order a 2007 328xi coupe now will it be a 2007, and, how long before I get it?

2. If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

Several dealers in NY told me this and do not have the answers to these questions. Any definitive anwers would be helpful. Thanks.
    1. If I order a 2007 328xi coupe now will it be a 2007, and, how long before I get it?

I believe bmw is only producing 2008's now, so it's not possible for you to order a 2007 (I'm not sure why you would do that or care).

2. If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

Getting your car after your order takes between 6-8 weeks, depending on when you can get a production slot and where your location is. I'm on the west coast and it took 8 weeks from the time I ordered my car. As far as differences, I think there may be a small change to the front bumper although I can't tell the difference. Take a look at bmwusa.com. You can build your own 2008.
    Thanks, but sorry, there is no 08 build for the 328xi coupe on the BMW site, no pics either.

quote: "I'm not sure why you would do that or care"

Because I didn't want to order a new model year sight unseen. The dealer did not know if there were new colors or new features or a new price; he had no pics and no info at all.

In addition, all of the pics and build features on the BMWUSA sight are all 2007 for the 328xi coupe, which is the car I want. So you can't "build' an 08 on their site, in fact, there is nothing on the 2008 328xi coupe anywhere on the web (that i could find). If the dealer has nothing, and the website has nothing, how could I have anything? I would never order a car sight unseen, would you?

So you see, I think it's odd to come into a showroom ready to buy a car, and be told "there are no more 07's and it may be a long while before 08's are available, and I don't have a picture or any specs on the 08".
  • gurpreetagurpreeta Member Posts: 5
    I am getting this lease deal...Please tell me if its good and/or I should negotiate more.

Thanks

Here is a 2007 328i with auto, navigation and gray metallic.

Selling Price: 35500$

36 months

12k per year

$1323.00 total out of pocket

$441.70 plus tax

Residual :63%
    money factor .00160

Thanks
    If I go to "Build Your 328xi" Coupe on bmwusa.com, it says right on top "My BMW 2008 328xi Coupe." Doesn't that have all the colors and features for 2008? There is basically no change from the 2007 model so you shouldn't have to worry too much about buying sight unseen. I definitely agree that you wouldn't want to buy a car that you can't get details on. You shouldn't have to do that since your dealer should have all the details on the 2008 model.

One thing that I can't know is whether the 2008's are being produced already. Since they are not producing anymore 2007's, it's logical to assume that they don't have their manufacturing sitting idle and that they have started producing 2008's. But you should check with your dealer on delivery estimates. For me, it took 8 weeks.
    I believe you are paying about $800 above invoice. The 2007 328i are available for $200-$300 above invoice or at Invoice.

Also, the MF is a bit high. With 1 SD you should be able to get that down to .00140

This should drop your monthly payment by about $20.

Where are you located?
  • gurpreetagurpreeta Member Posts: 5
    I am located in Bay area, CA. I would appreciate if you know any dealer who can get me a better deal.
    I have a couple of options, although not right where you are but reasonably close. PM me for details.
    Thanks, that's so wacked. I use Safari on a Mac and it doesn't access that feature and gives you only the 2007 build feature. So I went on netscape and it was as you said. Sorry; and you're right, it looks like no change at all with the 08.
  • jrsilva23jrsilva23 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone please tell me if this is a good deal on a lease?

sticker price: 38000
    dealer price: 36000
    miles: 10k
    down payment including tax: 3000
    monthly payment: 419

The car was auto, winter package, all wheel drive, Ipod adapter, auto/heated seats, metalic paint
  • nmp801nmp801 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Has anyone ever used a leasing company other than a dealership? I called Specialty One Auto Leasing and they gave me a cheaper price than the dealer. You still go through BMW finance and the car is either delivered to you or you can pick it up.

Their quote was:
    2007 328i automatic, cold weather pckg.
    36 month
    12k miles/yr
    $3000 due at signing
    $389/month including tax

What do you think of a company like this? Supposedly they receive wholesale prices.
  • dr_of_rxdr_of_rx Member Posts: 13
    I used weleasebytel.com for my last car and got a smokin' deal. They delivered the car to my house. Simple process. They were a little high on the 335, so I'll try Specialty to see what they can do.
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I used LCS leasing 3 years ago and was very happy at the time. I tried to use them again this time around, but the guy who helped me before didn't seem very interested in selling me a car. My friend tried to use him recently and got the same treatment. I was very disappointed because last time it was such a painless process and now I'm back dealing with dealers who are lying to me and trying to hide crap in the loan.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Hey all,

I test drove a 328i at Bellevue BMW the other day at (and fell in love with it), sat down with the salesman and he offered the following price for a custom-ordered 2008 328i:

$34,970 for a 6 MT sedan equipped with the sport package, Xenon headlights, Montego blue metallic paint and leather seats. No other options and the price is before TTL.

Is this a decent deal? And what does the board think about buying versus leasing. I'd rather purchase and keep the car, but I know opinions are all over the place regarding long-term ownership of BMW's. Buying affords me much lower monthly payments.

Thanks.
  • drgeno72drgeno72 Member Posts: 3
    I'm currently buying a 2007 328xi from Princeton BMW in NJ, and got completely different pricing on BMW finance fee from different dealers. The bank fee ranges from $600 to $825. The dealer tells me that the fee is set by Bmw bank. Does anyone know where I can find the true dealer finance fee?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,753
    $625 is the base fee.. BMWFS allows the dealer to mark it up to $825 for extra profit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jjetjjet Member Posts: 10
    I pulled the following information from a dealer's website.
    -----------------------------------------------
    New BMW 2007 328i sedan with following options:
    STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC
    PREMIUM PACKAGE
    HI-FI SOUND SYSTEM
    SATELLITE RADIO PREP
    HEATED SEATS

MSRP: $31500
    ------------------------------------------------
    Edmunds.com indicates that this car should have at least $35000. Do you believe the price of $31500?
    If there is no mistake, should I jump in? Can I get more discount?
    Thanks,
    JJET
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,753
    Typo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    But they advertised it at that price. So he'd better pounce on it fast!
  • jmac71jmac71 Member Posts: 1
    Picking up car today. This forum has been a huge help - thanks to all those who post. Here what I ended up - hope it helps others.

335xi - prem, metallic pt, cold, Ipod USB
    36 month lease, 12k miles
    $5,000k including $550 security deposit and 1st month
    $510 per month thereafter

I evaluated all deals on a total out-of-pocket cost (disregarding the time value of money). This was the easiest way to compare dealers and explain it to the salespeople who seemed to forgot simple mathematical rules whenever we started talking terms.

This is a manual which might have made negotiations a little harder since none of the dealers seemed to have one on the lot and had to transfer one.
  • jjetjjet Member Posts: 10
    I'll let you know if I can buy the car at this price. I contacted the dealer and she doesn't say anything about their internet pricing. I guess that this dealer is not trustworthy.
    JJET
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    Just wanted to know if the 335 sedan for 08 will have any wheel changes. Will there be a different rim style or will the same carry over from the 07. How much above invoice should I pay for an 08? I see 500,1000,1500 as amounts over invoice for a 07 but the last 07's wont have the specific equipment I want and I might overpay by taking an over equipped model due to limited selection or maybe even under equipped model. What will be a fair number over invoice in say Nov/Dec/Jan? I wont fall for the supply in demand story on a sedan. I live in Miami Fl and the dealers will sing the limited avail song for as long as you will hear it. I will lease and understand the bank 625 fee that can be raised to 825 for profit and the bumping of the money factor for profit but I will have to deal with that the day I take the car. Also anyone have the HD Radio? Is it a scam or is it worth it?
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    "Hey all,

I test drove a 328i at Bellevue BMW the other day at (and fell in love with it), sat down with the salesman and he offered the following price for a custom-ordered 2008 328i:

$34,970 for a 6 MT sedan equipped with the sport package, Xenon headlights, Montego blue metallic paint and leather seats. No other options and the price is before TTL.

Is this a decent deal? And what does the board think about buying versus leasing. I'd rather purchase and keep the car, but I know opinions are all over the place regarding long-term ownership of BMW's. Buying affords me much lower monthly payments.

Thanks."

No opinions on this at all?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who have been shopping for a European vehicle (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Audi or others) and have found them to be more expensive because of the Euro exchange rates. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 1, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
    The rims on the 08 stay the same. I have heard that the front apron will change slightly, but I haven't seen it yet. I think it's very minor. Take a look at bmwusa.com where you can build your own 08.

As far as price, it's all negotiation of course. Getting Internet quotes worked best for me. Keep in mind that edmunds invoice doesn't include MACO, doc fees, and floor mats. So 1000 over edmunds invoice is really about 500 above the dealer invoice. 500 to 1000 over invoice I think is good. If they don't want to do that on the 08 yet, ask them to give you a call when they're ready to sell you a car... :)

I have no idea about the HD radio since that wasn't a big consideration for me.
  • csalutecsalute Member Posts: 5
    Hello all.
    Can anyone help me find a 335xi sedan in black w/black interior? Every dealer I try tells me they cant get them, is this true?
    Chad
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    There's one 2007 in Bloomington BMW (Minnesota), on the exhibit floor
    Would it be better to have that one shipped or to order one from the factory. I was told 8 weeks for it to arrive. Here is that quote:
    VEHICLE: 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan COLOR: UPHOLSTERY:
    Index Description MSRP
    Base Price $40,800.00
    0205 STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission 1,275.00
    0ZPP Premium Package 2,550.00
    Metallic Paint 475.00

Destination and Handling 775.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $45,875.00
    SELLING PRICE $43,630.00
    Your New Vehicle
    Selling Price $43,630.00
    Term 36 Months
    Mileage 12,000 /year
    Residual Value $28,901.25
    Cash on Delivery $2,000.00

Future Payments
    Monthly Payment $627.63
    Tax (8.25%) $51.78
    Total Mo. Payment $679.41
    What do you think?
    Thank you in advanced for the help.
    Chad
  • joyrider147joyrider147 Member Posts: 69
    I have a used car, and a used BMW. Upon researching, it doesn't seem that many can find a very good BMW at a good price. Mostly, they're high mileaged, somewhat damaged, and rather pricey. Although my used car is good and drives ok, both my used car and my used BMW are limited to 60 MPH and my BMW has quite a few quirks.

I'm looking at a new BMW which, aside from its features, may cost $27,000 to $32,000. The advantage of a new car is selecting what I want or DON'T want in the car. Provided, new car repairs are very costly as compared to used repairs, but does a new car outweigh the benefits of used? The performance of a used car isn't as good, the car may not be as dependable, and may or may not need regular repairs.

With my used car, I barely have to spend anything for repairs, and I OWN it, not lease or loan it. A new car will depriciate approximately $1,873.00 a year, I might have to spend on some repairs 10 years into the car's life, but overall, I won't have to spend much other than it's MSRP.

I only drive 2,400 miles a year and only drive at low to moderate speeds. What would the effects of this type of driving would be on the car? How can I make sure the car can still go 130 MPH plus when the car's 20 years old? Do I have to push the pdeal to 130 MPH occasionally to wear the cylinder walls evenly so I can go that fast?

What should I do?
  • getzgetz Member Posts: 24
    I have a used car, and a used BMW. Upon researching, it doesn't seem that many can find a very good BMW at a good price. Mostly, they're high mileaged, somewhat damaged, and rather pricey. Although my used car is good and drives ok, both my used car and my used BMW are limited to 60 MPH and my BMW has quite a few quirks.

I'm looking at a new BMW which, aside from its features, may cost $27,000 to $32,000. The advantage of a new car is selecting what I want or DON'T want in the car. Provided, new car repairs are very costly as compared to used repairs, but does a new car outweigh the benefits of used? The performance of a used car isn't as good, the car may not be as dependable, and may or may not need regular repairs.

With my used car, I barely have to spend anything for repairs, and I OWN it, not lease or loan it. A new car will depriciate approximately $1,873.00 a year, I might have to spend on some repairs 10 years into the car's life, but overall, I won't have to spend much other than it's MSRP.

I only drive 2,400 miles a year and only drive at low to moderate speeds. What would the effects of this type of driving would be on the car? How can I make sure the car can still go 130 MPH plus when the car's 20 years old? Do I have to push the pdeal to 130 MPH occasionally to wear the cylinder walls evenly so I can go that fast?

What should I do?

Ummm, are you on drugs?
    -Getz
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    I went today to the dealer, and didn't saw it. Maybe they sold.

I think that price ($43,630) is very good. Can't tell about the leasing if don't know the factor (interest rate divded by 2,400). But I think the residual, at 66% is too steep, should be 61%, maybe they are playing games with you and the price. Check post 8163, for a 2007 is 61%, and BMW stated there's basically no price increase for 2008. In your case, accepting this deal means 5% more hided into the papers (for the dealer).
  • dr_of_rxdr_of_rx Member Posts: 13
    > residual = less depreciation = lower payment, no? with a larger residual, the stealer is saying the car will hold more value, meaning you pay less for the lease (depreciation). or am I way off base?
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    you're absolutely correct.
    Good deal???
    Here is the deal as it stands.
    2007 335i
    48,560msrp
    46,300 selling price
    -Premium Package
    -Sport Package
    -paddle shifters
    -Steptronic Automatic transmission
    -Navigation
    -Ipod/USB adapter
    -15000 miles/year
    $2000 down 36mths at 646.26 tax included
    Should I take this offer?
  • babyjjjrbabyjjjr Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2007 328i with sunroof, navigation, steptronics, and leather interior for $31,755. They are alot cheaper in Germany.