Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jjetjjet Member Posts: 10
    I envy you. :)
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Are you a buying it through the military/diplomatic purchase program? If not, with the Euro vs. $ where it is, I have a hard time believing that the car can be bought for 22,374 Euro. 328 is not available in German market, and even the 325 (pretty close to US 328 in spec) costs 34,600 Euro, list. And don't forget 17% VAT on top of that.

If buying through military/dip program, it is 12% or so (used to be anyway when I bought 530 in 2002) off the US price, and isn't apple to apple comparison.
  • aongch2aongch2 Member Posts: 8
    Here is my quote from an internet sales mgr, CA dealer. I understand that the $4200 sec dep will be tied up but this is just my quote. Feedbacks?

2007 335i Coupe, 6-spd manual
    36 month lease
    10,000 miles per year
    Residual 61%
    $4200.00 refundable security deposits
    .00176 (4.224%) money factor, interest rate.
    Total drive off $8578.32, includes 1st payment ($600), cap. reduction $3163.41, sales tax $245.16, license,dmv, $369.75, and security deposits of $4200.00.
    Selling price $45,700.00
    Base payment $556.84
    Monthly tax $43.16
    Total monthly payment $600.00.
  • aqaderkhanaqaderkhan Member Posts: 4
    I have a deal on the table for $25,200 buck for a 2006 325 Ci Coupe with 38,000 miles with steptronic auto transmission.

Anyone shed some light on this and tell me if this is a good deal? Car's in excellent condition (titanium silver color).

KBB private party value is $25,425.
    Retail Value is $28,275.

Also, if you know about the comon problems in this model that have been reported, please post.

Thanks in advance!
  • aongch2aongch2 Member Posts: 8
    Well, one thing was missing here. After calculating using those numbers, the Acquisition or Bank fee turned out to be $825. I think I've figured out the numbers.

I'm using the following formula found elsewhere here on the forum (Thank you to the contributor!!).

S = Sell price = 45,700.00
    A = Acquisition Fee = 825.00
    M = Money Factor = 0.00176 (this was lowered by my 4,200 sec deposit, or 7 x 600/mo. I think orig MF was .00200)
    N = Term = 36 months
    R = Residual = 27,877 (61% x 45,700)
    P = Monthly Lease Payment excluding tax
    P* = Monthly Lease Payment including tax
    t = Sales tax Rate = 7.75%
    Down Payment/Cap reduction: $3163.41 (to get the $600/mo incl tax)
    Annual Mileage: 10K
    Disposition Fee?: NO
    Excess Mileage Charge: 0.15 per mile
    Sales Tax: Computed on the payment streams
    Capitalized Amounts: Acquisition Fee Only

Basic Money Factor Formula:

Note: Selling price - Cap reduction = $42536.59 = adjusted S

P = M(S+A+R)+(S+A-R)/N

P = 0.00176(42536.59+825+27877)+(42536.59+825-27877)/36
    P = 555.51 (close enough to quote)

Tax Formula:

P* = P(1+t)
    P* = 555.51(1.0775)
    P* = 598.56 (close enough to quote)

Looks like I'm paying MSRP for this car, to arrive at the $600/mo incl tax. Any room for negotiations, don't know but sure will try to get closer to TMV :)

So, Base MSRP $40,800 plus Options ZSP + ZPP + Met Paint + Dest = $45,700 = stated Selling Price. :(

Anyone have comments on the above, please do chime in?
  • arizphilarizphil Member Posts: 1
    I happened upon you Sept. 12th post and needed to respond.
    I agree that you make many valid points. It is not fair for people to expect to get something for nothing. And while there is nothing wrong with suggesting more efficient ways for products to be sold, or "damning" the middle men, in our current system honest people need to make a wage.
    But, I think you have to admit that much of the distrust of today's car buyer is a result of sleazy sales tactics of many car dealers. I'm 54, and for decades the "real" price of a car and its options was impossible for a consumer to determine. And we need to mention the "last minute" additions of finance charges, "bank" fees, widget costs... whatever. The internet has, to some extent, leveled the playing field, to the dismay of dealers.
    My wife and I have purchased four BMWs in the past. I am generally happy with the company. But, in each purchase I had to leave the dealership and wait days or weeks before they would give me the "real" price.
    You make good points. But, there is another side to the story, don't you agree?
  • jaymavjaymav Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote through the costco auto program for a Jet black with black leather interiors, premium package, navigation, sports package, ipod connector. Please give me your opinion if this quote is good for this time of the year.
    Price w/ot taxes :39,310
    OTD price: $42,957
  • previa369previa369 Member Posts: 2
    328xi cp USD 37,100.00

A53 Platinum Bronze Metallic 475
    LCGE Cream Beige Dakota Leather N/C
    ZCW Cold Weather Package 600
    464 Ski bag N/C
    494 Heated front seats N/C
    ZPP Premium Package 3,250.00
    319 Universal Garage Door Opener N/C
    430 Auto-dimming mirrors N/C
    431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    459 Power front seats N/C
    488 Lumbar support N/C
    4NA Digital compass mirror N/C
    639 BMW Assist N/C
    203 All-wheel drive N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic trans. 1,275.00
    4AC Light Poplar Natural wood trim N/C
    Net Total 42,700.00
    Destination Charge 775
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 43,475.00

really dont know about the price for BMW, so for this vehicle, what is the best price? sedan is about 40,000.

Paying cash, not leasing.

and anyone could tell the diffence between AWD and RWD?
  • bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    I'm new to leasing and have several questions. 1st, can i negotiate the price of the car down from which the lease payment will be calculated or do I have to use the MSRP? 2nd, I'm looking at an '07 328i sedan, auto, premium, cold pkg, xenon, nav. Here's the payment info from the dealer: $1335 tax, $459 dealer fees, $5,000 downpayment, 10k miles/yr, 30 month lease, payment = $486/mo. What do you guys think would be a good deal for this lease payment?

Thanks for any help
  • yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    1) You can and should try to negotiate down the selling price of the car that is factored into the lease.
    2) I'd be hesitant to put such a large down payment on the car. If you were to get into an accident and total the car, the down payment would be lost. It doesn't hurt to have the extra money in your pocket for the time being; you end up paying the same amount whether it be over time or with a large sum up front.

That quote sounds sounds very high to me. Shop around to confirm that, but I would expect something around $475/month with around $1000-2000 down.
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    yankees338 is exactly right--putting money down on a lease is a bad idea. However, one really cool option that BMW allows is called Multiple Security Deposits (MSD). You give them the security deposit that they require, plus an additional amount that's a multiple of that deposit. Each additional deposit lowers your money factor on your lease. The best part is that, at the end of the lease, you get all your MSDs back--with a down payment, you get nothing back and you run the risk of losing it if you total the car.

Talk to your dealer about MSDs--it's a great way to improve your deal, yet still get the money back at the end of your lease. If you do the math, it's usually a decent rate of return.
  • toto88toto88 Member Posts: 7
    From the options you listed I checked to see what the invoice price was and it came up with $38,595, so that would mean you were quoted $725 over invoice. I have gone through 2 internet departments in So Cal and received $400 and $450 over invice. If this is the car that you want, the deal sounds reasonable enough.
  • jaymavjaymav Member Posts: 5
    thanks toto88..i finally got a price of 39,065 and the experience was very smooth ..so no regrets
  • mikey40mikey40 Member Posts: 3
    I'm down here in Texas and am VERY interested in having a car to toy around in. Since the wife & I already have rides, I was interested in the BMW 335i. We've had a few beamer's in the past and have been somewhat happy. I think the lease is the way to go and I have been reading about some of the great informatyion you guys post. I'd like to learn more about this "MSD" I've been reading about. Can anyone point me in the best direction on how to lease the car w/o the dealer laughing and buying everyone dinner on me when I leave??? Do I really have to give them all this $ up front????

Thanks to all!!!!

Mike
  • gjagja Member Posts: 28
    Did I read correctly somewhere that we can't do Multiple Security Deposits (MSD) in NY state?
  • jjetjjet Member Posts: 10
    Mike.
    I'm in the market now too. I found that a wholesale price list posted on www.bimmerfest.com very useful. Our host KDFX already put the link in this forum, so you can look up the link. I live in Dallas and most of dealers are not willing to negotiate. Other users at bimmerfest suggested that I go to smaller dealership such as one in Tyler or Temple and get a competitive quote and ask dealers in Dallas to beat it. I don't know whether you have already tried that, but I got a quote from a dealer saying that he can give me one with $750 over invoice.
    Hope this helps.
    JJET
  • dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    Did you buy one at $750 over invoice? Let me know what you end up doing. I'm in the market, but not sure if I should try to get a 2007 at a better price, given that the 2008 models are out...
  • nmp801nmp801 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Did you ever call Specialty Auto Leasing? If so, how did you make out?

I've called weleasebytel.com about 3 times and left a message for Mike. He has yet to return my call.

As long as Specialty is legit, I think I will lease through them.
  • dr_of_rxdr_of_rx Member Posts: 13
    I spoke with Eric at leasebytel (leasefax@verizon.net). He returns calls/email.

amazing enough, I am finding this to be common practice for many of these online brokers....they just wont call back. I've called or e-mailed half a dozen of them with little or no response. I honestly don't recall speaking to Specialty One. Maybe I'll check with them again. But if no one wants to return my call it is not my loss..

(edit) the more I think of it, I do recall speaking to them. They sent a list of available 335s sent to me via email, I responded letting them know of the one I wanted and asked for a quote and never got a reply. I'll never hound someone to give my business to them....call me back or take a hike.
  • powaramitpowaramit Member Posts: 2
    I received the following quote for a 2007 328i auto with metallic paint and no options for 36 months with 12k.

Security $400
    Bank / Cap $1000
    Tax $1261
    Monthly $397

total due at signing approx $3121 incl tax

Does this seem like a good deal? I am new to leasing and would greatly appreciate expert comments

Thanks
  • mikey40mikey40 Member Posts: 3
    JJET-

Thanks you SO MUCH for the assistance!!!!! You know what I mean by "laughing and haaviing dinner on the consumer. I know nothing is free, but I also believe in fairness!

10 thousnds thanks and I'll be looking @www.bimmerfest.com TODAY!!! Hope I can help you someday!!!!

Mike
  • petercnjpetercnj Member Posts: 2
    The car is a 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan with an MSRP of $49,770
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Hey guys. I hope this is OK to post (if not I will ask the host where and if I can post this). I just pulled the trigger on a new 5 series and have a winter wheel and tire package from my 3 er which I gave to an ebay store to sell on line. They are Blizzaks LM 22s 16s (the wife just wanted them out of the garage)
    The car was absolutely great in the snow with them.
    They made a mistake and said they have only one season on them, it was 2 but the tread wear is still fine- you can see the penny test. Anyway, if someone needs a set check out ebay- I think they started the bidding at around 50 bucks. Personally, I prefer the rwd bmw s with snows to the all wheel drive with all seasons. I went for the sport package on my 5 just as I did on the 3 and I will have to buy another wheel and tire package but I just didn't want to give up the goodies on the sport package- suspension, sport auto, ARS. So I will spend a few extra bucks and get great performance year round for a twice a year hassle vs good handling year round with no tire change.
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    08 335 sedan: steptronic trans , leather , sport package , hd radio . MSRP 45,550 What would be a fair selling price and should i pay dealer prep or doc fees? Looking to go 24 months and 10-12k miles per year on a lease. What will my payments be? I think the resid is 71-73% and the factor is .00200 base plus whatever the dealer marks it up.
  • 4rings4rings Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking into an '08 328. Getting good info from the dealer on most points; acquisition fee seems high at $825 but I hear that is dealer's call. Today he tells me that there is a $180 "BMW training fee".

Anyone else get this? Is it a junk fee? I guess this is to be expected as we consumers drive for invoice pricing...the dealers have to get their profit out of ad fees and the like.
  • bmwmrc1bmwmrc1 Member Posts: 34
    Help guys. I need any of you who are good at calculating a good lease deal for a 328i sedan.

Here's what I about to lease:

328i sedan with:
    premium package
    xenon lights
    auto trans.
    metallic paint
    ipod adapter

Retail w/ destination: $39,375
    Invoice + destination: $36,360

I'm being offered the car @ $36,900

Here's the deal:
    (1) ZERO MONEY DOWN
    (2) 12K miles per year
    (3) 36 months
    (4) Monthly payment including tax: $543 per month.

Is the above a good deal? If someone can show me their calculations I would be most grateful. I'm going in to the dealer tomorrow in Southern California and getting this car.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    Afaik, the training fee is negotiable. The $825 can come down a bit too, maybe around $650. I was quoted the same numbers as you when I was shopping, so it's not unusual.

Dan
  • angrymofoangrymofo Member Posts: 5
    bmwmrc1,

This seems like a very good deal. Is this 07 or 08? Which dealer are you getting this car from? I am also planning to purchase a similarly equipped 328.

Thanks.
    Sorry, I see you have already mentioned that it is a 2008.
  • bb222bb222 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if they raise the price on 2008 328i? I got a quote for a 2008 328i with auto transmission, premium package, heated seats for $36600.+ TTL. I added up invoice cost of these items from Edmunds.com and is at least $1000 lower. Is $36600 a reasonable price or there are other cost that I'm missing?
    Angrymofo, the dealer is Crevier BMW and the car is a 2008.

Do you happen to know the calculation formulas to figure out the money factor (I think it's .00160) and the other formulas to consider? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • dr_of_rxdr_of_rx Member Posts: 13
    just signed for one of the last 07 335i sedans

msrp 45420 (sale price 43365)
    6sp
    crimson/blk
    prem, sport, heated seats, sirius, ipod/usb adapter

36mo/10k miles
    only 711.07 due up front.

I think I stole it for 597.57/month.
  • kbinilkbinil Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Anyone on this board from Chicago? My limited, not so recent research suggests leasing a car in IL is quite different that leasing in most other states. Simply, it seems IL residents are required to pay sales tax on the total value of the car, not just the "leased portion". Is this right, and are there any tricks to avoid this? What happens if you buy out of state? Do they get you when you register it in IL? Thanks in advance.
    Keith
  • snoppysnoppy Member Posts: 3
    If they are telling you $543 per month. Find out what is the MF and residual they are giving you for this deal. Then you will know if it a good or bad deal

Here is BMWFS for October
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00165 Base Rate
    The formula:
    (Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
    (Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Money Factor = Interest
    Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

Here are some apparently goods deals Irvine BMW and Shelly BMW are offering on their website

NEW 2007 328i Sedan! Automatic & Xenon! 5 at this lease ay SHELLY BMW
    Lease for $298/mo. + Tax
    24 Month Lease On Approved Credit
    $4995 due at lease inception.
    No security deposit required.
    Lessee responsible at lease end for mileage over 10,000 miles per year at 20 cents per mile.

NEW 2007 328i Sedan! Platinum Bronze, Leatherette, Automatic & Navigation lease IRVINE BMW
    Lease for $295/mo. + Tax
    24 Month Lease, 10K per yr.
    $5000 total drive off

As for Acquisition fee should only be $625 which Shelly BMW does charge, but Crevier and Sterling are a rip-off they ask for $825
    Always ask the dealer to break down the acquisicion fee.

good luck.
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    The dealership Shelly BMW and Crevier BMW are NOT giving you a good deal on the 328i. You are just looking at monthly payments. They are asking for $5000 down, this is INSANE and a definite NO! I used to sell cars for Lexus so I know. I used to get customers to give a lot of money down on their leases to make their payments more affordable. People would leave happy with an $650 to $1100 monthly payment for 36 to 48 months which I thought was hilarious. Never go more than 36 months, if your are going past that buy the damn car. You just want to give drive off fee which is first monthly payment, sec deposit , tire and DMV/license fees. First know the vehicle that you want and stick with it, know the exact MSRP, INVOICE, and MONEY FACTOR and RESIDUAL VALUE and mileage you will drive the vehicle. Stick with invoice or worst case $500 over invoice but work your way to $500 over invoice.People don't realize when they pay $30 more a month the dealership will tell you that its just a $1/day. You go to Starbucks and you spend more on coffee right? Now your $30 x 36 months is $1080 which could be better well spent on family or elsewhere. Let them know that you need to see the cars and you find one that you are willing to take home today if the deal is right.This way both parties are serious. Even ask for the tag sheet with your vehicle identification # and ask to see the invoice. If they say no tell them we live in an information world and everything is available on the internet and why wouldn't they want to make your life easier. Don't bump up your self up in payments and Never give a big down payment on a lease! ;)
    Sorry I don't know the money factor or other formulas. I was referring to the $36,900 that you were offered as a "good deal".
    Will Dakota Leather as a stand alone option residualize? Or am I better off just getting the whole premium pack on the 08 335 ? I will get the sport pkg and it looks fine with the sport seats in the leatherette.I would only consider the leather if I decide to get the terra color for the interior. The beige and the black are avail in the leatherette.With a msrp of 44,550 on a car i will have to order, what price should I pay considering I will have to leave a deposit? The dealers always try to take advantage of the fact that you are looking for a specific car and play that card when making a deal. Sometimes you get a better deal on an inventory car because they give deep discounts to get you to take a car with equipment you dont want.Reality sets in and you realize you are getting a car with unwanted options that still exceeds the selling price of a car you ordered with the only options you wanted. Sure they will sell me an inventory car 49000 MSRP for 47000 but what about the 44500msrp car I could order and get it for at least 44000. I try to explain to the salesperson that their deal on the 49k car is 47k therefore still 3k more than I want to spend. Dealer logic is something i will never understand.I am going to order this week so if anyone has an idea of a fair price on this 08 335i with sport pack, auto tans, hd radio, leather,paddle shift sticker is est.44550
    Snoppy, sorry, but the deals you mentioned are terrible deals. The one I was quoted was NO MONEY DOWN---no out of pocket cost. The MF I was quoted was a little better at .00160.

I realize that I could get lower costs, but then for me the whole idea of leasing misses the point. I don't want to give away my upfront money for lower payments.

To Nacho2, the deal I was quoted (see 413 in this thread) is that a good deal at no money down? I was quoted a price of $36,900 (slightly over invoice). Monthly payments at $543 per month includes tax.
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    Did you get the car already? Which dealer in CA? Are you dealing with the internet dept? Mention the CSI score that they receive and tell them that you will give them 100%, when I was with Lexus we would get something like $300 for a perfect score. Let me know if you already have the car?
    If it's a sedan, you should be able to get $500 - $1000 over invoice. It shouldn't really matter if the car is on the lot or if the dealer has to order it. At least it didn't make any difference for me. Maybe they're going even lower for an 07 model if they still have some on the lot.

Dan
    Is 500-1000 over invoice the standard for an 08 335 sedan? Will the dealer be ready for me to be firm on that 500-1000 over invoice? I was under the impression that if I order the 08 that I would have less room to negotiate. anyone else have an experience ordering a car at the beginning of a model year? Should I walk from the dealer unless I get the 500-1000 over invoice on the 08 sedan (335i)?
  • matt716matt716 Member Posts: 4
    My wife recently received a quote for 1k over invoice on an 08 335xi sedan. It only took the dealer 30 minutes to agree to her terms, so I'd say it's entirely possible. And yes that is the price if we custom order it.
    was that 1000 over without a dealer service fee?Or was that 1000 over with you paying a dealer service fee?
    What is a dealer service fee? Typically they will add MACO (advertising fees) and possibly $180 training fee on top of the Edmunds invoice. So you should be looking at $1000-$1500 over the Edmunds invoice. Floor mats are an extra $120 as well.

Dan
    Dealer service fee is on the buyers order at the bottom usually right before the tax and tag line and before the tire and battery fee. It is between 300 and 700 depending on the dealer and it is profit. it is not on the lease contract as it is not an acq or disp fee. I have mats from my current one
  • keithrezkeithrez Member Posts: 12
    Throwing this out here if it helps anyone. Purchased @ Park Ave BMW, Maywood NJ, just outside NYC. Jerry DeLeon was salesman. Nice guy.

Jet Black, leatherette, Sirius (BMW pays first year subscription), Logic7 stereo, power seats, automatic and BMW assist w Bluetooth.

30 months @ $530 per, including sales tax. $2,400 down, including first month, sec dep ($550), $695 bank fee, $250 documentation fee, $195 DMV fee plus the Vin inscription etching thing. MF was 3.9% according to Jerry. Don't know the Residual.

I think MSRP was $39,900, including the $775. I paid $38,500, inc $775. Got add'l $400 off after their first offer of $38,900. I believe I could have gotten more off (as my dad said who was with me at the time, "you never know what the bottom price actually is"), but at that point it was not worth the further negotiating to me. I got the price level I was looking for.

One other point for those looking @ the 335. This car has a sport mode, which he had me in leaving the dealer, and when I had to haul [non-permissible content removed] out of the dealer to try and get onto Rte 17, I almost blacked out it took off so fast. Check it out. You can save urselves $4000-$5000.

Good luck Keith
    Nacho, I'm actually picking the car up tonight. It's Crevier BMW in Orange County. Normally, they're higher than a dealer I've bought two BMW's from in LA (Nick Alexander), but I was able to get just as good of a deal on this lease. In fact, I was able to have no out of pocket and got the sales person to reduce the monthly to $521 per month with zero down for 36 months.
    Nacho, for clarification, the lease was $484 plus tax, @ 7.75% for a total monthly payment of $521. I have a 2007 328i, black on black, premium with BMW assist and bluetooth, automatic and the ipod attachment (fantastic feature!).

I had absolutely no out of pocket. But just to let you know, I have a first tier credit rating. I went through BMW financial services of NA.
  • dcdriver5dcdriver5 Member Posts: 2
    Pondering a quote (DC area) for an '08 328i with the following configuration:

Auto
    Heated front seats
    Navigation
    Sirius
    Premium package

Dealer quote is $38,465 before tax...including tags, floor mats.

Sound like a good deal?
  • codekcodek Member Posts: 9
    how much would that be around with a 3000 drive off?