Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Okay I've gotten several deals. Here's the best one so far.

46.2K for 335i, Manual
    premium, sport, ipod, nav, sat radio.
    About 1100 over invoice, then add the 380 maco, 180 training, doc fee of 55 and taxes is around 50K.

Too high? I note that there are essentially 1 or 2 in all of southern cal in my color, doors, and manual.

What options does anyone else get when they go into the F&I guy?
  • magnumforcmagnumforc Member Posts: 16
    You shouldn't be paying training or maco. That's a fixed dealer cost that they try to pass on to the consumer and BMW adds in to the dealer invoice, but NOT to the consumer cost.

Dealers try and soak you into that but it's not mandated by BMW; just another way for them to recoup their advertising costs and the costs for training someone to charge you 140 bucks an hour to work on your car. tell them loud and clear no.

Than again, what allows them to charge "whatever the traffic will bear" is what you note above, that there are only 1 or 2 in what you want, so it's likely you'll pay what they ask if you want it bad enough. That's the grease that keeps their wheels turning.

F&I will try and sell you paint and interior protection, LoJack, extended warranty, extended BMW assist (beyond your supplied 4 years) possibly an alarm and a few other goodies. They ususlly have 4 packages listed like Premium, Better, Good and Okay or something similar. I turned them all down.....
    Thanks magnum for the info. I don't want to pay maco + training which would make my over invoice go from 1100 to about 1600, but may have to since there are very few cars that fit my criteria. Esp' those with a stick. I'll try to see if I can get out of those when we negotiate again.

Also thanks of the F&I. Good to hear you turned them all down. I talked to my insurance guy and he said he doesn't give any discounts for alarms anymore. So I guess as long as I can lock it from the remote then I'll be happy. I don't see the point in paint and interior protection. Extended warranty maybe someday since I'm going to buy the numbers I was told by the dealer were high as they mentioned 2K, and they said brakes are usually 1700 if I get it through them. But still 2K is a lot as when I had my non-bmw I recall they always sent me letters seeing if I wanted to extend my warranty through the years at a cheaper price than I got from the F&I guy. The only other one I might consider would be the LoJack. How much were you offered? Not sure I want it as I will get full insurance, but curious just the same.
    LoJack is $795 which is about the going price just about anywhere. Some dealers will drop it a few bucks if you buy additional items; most won't. Remember if your car is stolen, all you do is call BMW Assist and they can pinpoint where the car is just like LoJack, and let the police know its location! And, it's included with your premium package for 4 years and then it's $199 every additional year.

Cons are that it costs after 4 years. With LoJack you pay once and it's done. Also that police cars don't have locating devices like LoJack. However, BMW Assist can pinpoint the location where Lojack must have a car in the area to actually home in on the stolen vehicle and most police cars do not have Lojack receivers.

Finally, BMW assist will call if your airbags deploy, can provide emergency service calls for police, fire medical (like OnStar) and other roadside assistance at the touch of a button. And you can communicate with them. Lojack does none of that.

Plus..if the BMW is stolen and wrecked..I'd personally never want to see it again and rather see a nice check instead towards the next one!
  • xeneizexeneize Member Posts: 1
    Titanium Silver Metalic
    Premium Package
    Sports Package
    STEPTRONIC Automatic Transition
    Navigation System
    iPod and USB adapter
    Xenon Headlights

Total Paid: 41,800, car will be delivered in seven weeks as it was not in stock as configured.
  • sidmansidman Member Posts: 10
    That's a very good question. I have thought of purchasing a 3 series since college (I'm 33 now). Out of college when I wanted my first new car, I went with a Maxima SE 5 speed. 5 years ago I went back and forth between a 330i and the new G35. Went with the G then. During that time I had several friends/relatives buy various (M5, 530, 335). I have to say that I was always impressed by the tightness and solidity that I felt in the BMW's compared to my Infiniti.

In fact, even this time around, I had put down a deposit on a fully loaded 08 g35 with tech/premium/sport/nav. That night a buddy of mine called (who is on his 4th 350z) and told him I was going with the g35 over the 335i. He reminded me that have been raving about the 335i for the past 2 years and that I would be wishing I had gone with... So I cancelled my g35 and bought the 335i the next day.

The 2 cars are very close and the 5-7000 price diff can make the Infiniti hard to turn down. But so far I have no regrets on the BMW.
  • skinhealerskinhealer Member Posts: 33
    Do you mean the 328XI. I think that is a good price.

I was offered 40,625
    328XI
    Nav
    Premium Package
    Auto
    Cold Weather
  • stone8stone8 Member Posts: 2
    I found a 07 335xi, auto, prem, cold weather (not a demo, only 14 miles) at a local dealership. I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can help me out with.

First, they are listing it at $500 below invoice. Obviously they want to move this car but how much below invoice is reasonable.

Second, they told me they recorded the car as sold and therefore the warranty has started. I am not too concerned about this because I will hit the mileage before the years anyway but it just seemed a bit odd. Is there anything there to be concerned about?

Thanks for any feedback

Mark
    I think 500 of is not enough, you should get more than that off.

How much more don't know. That depends on how bad they want to get rid of the car. They should be pretty desperate to get rid of it i think, because soon they will be getting the 335d and x5d. That isn't until fall though, and by that time also the 2009 models will be coming in.

I feel that there is something fishy when you say the warranty started, it isn't the point that you will use the warranty or not. If it was sold then the transaction may have gone sour, and that kicked the warranty in. Then the car should be sold as used, as long as it is registered once it is considered used.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Well, lemme put it this way ... come sale time, you are typically looking at a $2500 difference from year to year. In other words, in 2010, if I'm shopping used 335s, I should be able to get a 2007 for $2500 less than an '08 (rough estimate. sometimes varies). So if you can get an '08 for $500 over, then I'd want an '07 for $2k under, personally. Otherwise, it just ain't worth it.

And, as the previous poster stated, it is technically a used car and you would be the "2nd owner."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Did anybody buy a extended warranty for a 3 series. It seems that there are 2 types after the 50K from bmw.

(1) maintenance only (Fluids like oil change and wipers) for $1,500 for an another 50K so that basically means until 100,000 no maintenance worry

(2) Tranmission and engine I think they said it was about $3,000 can't remember the exact price.

This was a dealer in NY.
  • stone8stone8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses...I decided to pass on the car. If I decide to go with the 335, then I will just get an '08
    Just a FYI for other people. I found that in California that price is all about supply and demand and why wouldn't it be? Ha. Ha. Ha.

In the LA/OC area I've seen prices down to 500 over invoice for some 328s, but not 335s. Especially if it's a specfic color, options, etc. that are hard to get. You know...supply and demand! So for some 335s I've been seeing 1200 - 2500 over invoice. However, if you go out of the area and willing to drive, I've seen prices around 600 over inovice. Though that means you'll be driving for a few hours to pick up that car to save about a $700-$1000.

Not sure if people rather buy local so they have someone to complain to that might be more likely to help them (i.e. the sales guy)???? That's my only though about buying local. Like if I picked up a lemon????

Any comments?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    pdude, 500 over invoice is expected on even 335s now. 1200 over is extreme considering how poorly BMWs are selling right now. Email and internet are the only way to shop though. Talk to a salesperson and you're wasting your time as he doesn't want to sell at a decent price.

If you had a lemon, you would deal with BMW. Your salesperson will have nothing to do with a lemon.
  • nonamerequirednonamerequired Member Posts: 5
    I am looking forward to purchasing a 335i coupe/manual/sport pkg in Phoenix or around. There are only couple dealerships there, and before starting the email war with them I wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations (or places that I should avoid). Also, if anybody bought a 3 series recently, what deals can be had (ie how much off invoice). Thanks a lot
  • ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    2008 335xi, comfort, Steptronic,metallic, leather, fold-down rear seats, cold weather,premium package,PDC, 3-yr , 10k/yr. MSRP $ 47575; invoice 44380, leased for cap cost of 44880. See my posts at #8410,8414,8542,8484. The car was ordered just after Christmas and arrived 2/15--six weeks to build.

Incidentally, I would not accept the vehicle with Bridgestones. Santa Monica BMW refused to either make it happen or make the change upon arrival; Pacific/Glendale committed to the Conti Contact SSR RFTs, and the car came equipped as desired. Used the internet sales dept. My experience with salespeople is similar to others posting here--add a grand to the cap cost and right into his/her's pockets.
    Internet sales people know that if you mention Edmunds.com and that you know exactly what you want, and will order it, not take stock inventory, you'll get $ 500 over invoice or better and considerably more respect than the walk-in customer who doesn't understand the variables of a lease..
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    really think an extra grand is going in to the salespersons pocket. I've been in the car business for a while now, and I've never seen that kind of pay plan. Please let me know where that is and I'll move my family there immediately.
    Dude move to the OC or South Bay LA. They all seem to want 1-2K over invoice.

However, just yesterday I got an Internet dealer call me for a car 600 over invoice for 335i, that she's going have to swipe from someone else that is supposedly en route to the U.S.

Maybe the month of March was bad since this sales person had been quoting my 12-1800 over invoice for the last month, but now she went down to 600. I think this person might be getting low sales. Since I also went into the dealer and talked to a regular salesman and he wouldn't even consider anything under 2K over invoice last month.

Maybe he already made his quota. Hahah. Well I'm out of the area, and am going to check out a car from this other dealer who is saying 600 over but I am out of the area right now.

So got to LA and OC where BMWs are in high demand and apparently other people are paying big bucks (not me well not yet!). Make bucks there dude!!!
    I have leased cars for longer than the Internet existed, which I would estimate is true for anyone 40+. All I can say is that without exception, the "best" offer I receive from a salesperson and the Internet department diverge by a significant amount. And this applies to many vehicles, as I usually shop around and test drive several different brands, as models change and changes are made to existing models and I undertake a fairly thorough process every three years, the usual term of my lease. My assumption that the extra money goes to the salesperson is simply an observation that the salesperson is commissioned and receives a share of the dealer's additional revenue generated.
  • edljiledljil Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone buy a 328i recently? I will looking for one with prem and auto, how much over invoice should I expect?

Any experience is appreciated!
    Southern CA....About 36K including Xenon headlights and iPod adapter, auto and Premium package. You should be able to get the car for just about invoice or within $250 more. If you can find one with auto and premium only it should drop the price to about 35K plus tax and license, doc fees etc. Happy Hunting!

2008 328i Black on Black
    Thank you for your information, magnumforc.

Does anybody buy a 2007 328i recently? Is the price as someone just said that $2500 lower than 2008's?
  • carguy73carguy73 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 328i convertible, alpine white with cream interior, prem, auto, sports, nav, ipod, comfort access, sat, msrp 53295, invoice 49200, purchased for 49,000 even.
  • stvroystvroy Member Posts: 33
    #8810 of 8810 Re: How much should I expect? [edljil] by carguy73 Apr 15, 2008 (8:24 am)
    Replying to: edljil (Apr 13, 2008 10:57 pm)

I just purchased a 328i convertible, alpine white with cream interior, prem, auto, sports, nav, ipod, comfort access, sat, msrp 53295, invoice 49200, purchased for 49,000 even.
    ********************************************************************************- **************

Wow! What a great deal! How did you negotiate this deal? Where did you buy?
    Even below the invoice! That is so good.
    How did you negotiate it?
  • carguy73carguy73 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased it in Atlanta - several dealers agreed to match. I was obviously very pleased when I realized that it was actually below invoice, especially when they had to pay to ship it from an out of town dealer.
  • rl328rl328 Member Posts: 3
    Any good experience to share? Buying a 328xi... Thanks.
  • stvroystvroy Member Posts: 33
    #8813 of 8814 Re: How much should I expect? [edljil] by carguy73 Apr 16, 2008 (5:54 am)
    Replying to: edljil (Apr 15, 2008 7:40 pm)

I purchased it in Atlanta - several dealers agreed to match. I was obviously very pleased when I realized that it was actually below invoice, especially when they had to pay to ship it from an out of town dealer.
    ********************************************************************************- **************

Which dealership?
  • bgreene1bgreene1 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 335i Coupe Factory Order almost fully loaded (MSRP above $50K) for $200 over invoice including floor mats- S. Ca.

You can get the exact specs you want at a great price as long (even if it is not available) as you are willing to a) shop around and b) be patient while it is built and shipped. Also, I think for Sedans and 328s they should be even more willing to deal.
    Great deal. Did you buy or lease? I had predicted that if I had waited two or more months (my Infiniti G35 lease would have been due tomorrow; I terminated that one a bit early) the car would be less expensive, any way you performed a comparison. I just found out that my second choice, the Infiniti EX 35 is not moving and is being heavily discounted. That's to be expected for a new model which has a couple of drawbacks and isn't fitting into a clear-cut market segment. With my 335xi, I am curious what kind of deals are being made now on a 3-year, 10k miles/year. On the other hand, what's the difference. When I made my deal at $ 500 over invoice, it was a rarity amongst the Edmunds visitors. I just calculated that if I had paid invoice ($ zero over), with a .002 MF, I would have saved about $ 5/month. So no big deal.
    Thanks- I actually leased 15k/.023 MF with deposit (not a repeat BMW customer)/no mark-up on lease acq fee- you are absolutely right in your thought process- as long as you got a good deal relative to other deals at the time you should be happy- no one can predict which way the market will eventually move- although having said that I fully expect BMW to get more aggressive on pricing in the near future given their lackluster sales performance 1st quarter- how do you like 335xi- have you taken it out in the snow- do you have 17" or 18" wheels? I almost changed my order to a 335xi after seeing a couple of videos in the snow but my hesitation decided for me since my car went into production a day after I was first entertaining switching.
    I just realized I made a typo- MF is .0023- if it was .023 that would have been one deal not to brag about- lol.
    Try fightingchance.com- excellent resource for only $40 get latest info on BMW (or any other make) but more importantly breaks down in a very user friendly way a) how relationships (incentives) between dealer and manufacturers work and b) a methodology to effectively get you the best price in the market for the vehicle you are looking for at the time. I used their website twice in the last few months- bought an Acura TSX (exact specs with only 3 in S. CA) for $1k UNDER invoice and a 335i Coupe for $200 over invoice (exact specs- factory order). Check it out- can't hurt and very customer service oriented.
  • sfmarssfmars Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bgreene1,

That is an excellent deal. $200 over invoice? Do you mind referring me to the dealer / salesperson you purchaed your car from? I've been shopping around for the past two weeks and everyone seems to be holding tight on their prices.

Thanks!
    Hey Sfmars,

Different dealerships offer different pricing at any given time depending on what their inventory looks like and how close they are to hitting their sales targets- I tried duplicating a deal with a dealership (same price, same location) before and to no avail. What I would suggest is going to the following website: fightingchance.com and reading thru their website and paying the small fee of $40 for the info packet they will send you- trust me very well worth the info (see my previous post on this). Best of luck- let me know if I can be of further help.
    I live in So Cal and like to drive to Mammoth, but missed this season due to being out of skiing shape and demands of my profession. However, I did encounter rain, and was very comfortable with handling, although I'm not inclined to be overly aggressive behind the wheel, in any traffic. I have 17" wheels. The key for me is that all-wheel drive is just safer, and eliminates a bad-weather variable. Hopefully, I'll be in snow late this year. All in all, this is the best handling and braking auto I've ever owned/leased, and is extremely fast. Of course, I, like all BMW drivers, pay a premium for those characteristics, and I'm not disappointed. Good luck!
  • arboritearborite Member Posts: 1
    Did you end up getting the 2007? Can you tell me the dealership?
    Anyone know if Sirius offers good deals after buying the car. The dealer offers 385 or 395 for lifetime service. Anyone get a better deal? Also, I never saw this deal on the Sirius site as maybe it's because they charge 595 msrp for it on the car?
    Sirius offers an additional 6 month contract for about 50 bucks or so that will bring you to a year of service. I haven't seen any great deals following that. All depends on how long you plan to keep the car; lifetime service at $395 for anything more than 3 years is a good deal. We have two Sirius radios so get the second for $6 a month, but even at that, if we were keeping the BMW more than 5 years it would be a good deal.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Also, you can move this to a new receiver when you sell the car.

I did a lifetime in 2003 and will have a free ride on my new '08 :P
  • f1champf1champ Member Posts: 4
    328i, metallic, premium, ipod, auto, navigation.

2700 out of pocket everything included and 473/month, 3 year/10k miles per year.

Any thoughts guys?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    What was the msrp and what was your negotiated sale price? What is your residual? What's your money factor?
  • rudylgzarudylgza Member Posts: 9
    Looking for a 328i with metallic paint, automatic, and premium package. I have visited the two dealers in Miami, FL and have requested quotes via email from all dealers in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale,FL and so far I am not even close to sniffing a price near the invoice price. The best I have gotten so far is $36,500. Is this a decent price? These dealers do not want to budge no matter what. Any suggestions?
    Looks like you're right about the invoice price or within $500 at that amount. We bought a similar here in southern CA but without the metallic paint, plus Xenon headlights and iPod adaptiver for the a bit less, which was $250 over invoice. The headlights are $700 and the iPod $300 on invoice but switch out the paint at minus $450 and you'd be close.
    Is the $36,500 out the door price or you still need to pay the tax tag and licience?
    Still need to pay tax tag and license(7% tax in Miami)
  • jingo1jingo1 Member Posts: 1
    I am negotiating for 2008 328i with MSRP of $42521 plus labor on dealer installed iPod. Edmunds invoice is $38775 plus estimated invoice on floor mats and iPod of $361 equals total estimated invoice of $39136. Dealer claims his invoice is $40111, $975 more than I get from Edmunds, and is asking $40300. I had offered $39800, what I thought was ~$700 over invoice. This vehicle is ordered by dealer, not yet received. All thoughts welcome. TIA. This is not the first time I've run into a dealer disputing "invoice" data from Edmunds.
  • car_rmcar_rm Member Posts: 47
    There is also $180 for training and depending on the area you are in, ~$300 for MACO. Since the iPod adapter is dealer installed, the price that they are going to use is not what invoice shows for a factory install. We recently bought a 328i and had negotiated $600 over invoice +training +MACO and floor mats included. The car we said yes to did not have the required iPod adapter and the dealer was adding $650 to the deal - his "cost". This was negotiated down. Some research showed that dealer installed iPod adapter can range from $500-700. The dealer's numbers matched my numbers. Good luck.
  • zingdingzingding Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone! I have been following this forum for MANY years! Finally I can afford my dream vehicle (I think). I utilized the military overseas program to purchase a 2008 335i Convertible for $50,195.00 exterior is Alpine white with Red leather interior (sun reflective), heated seats, rear park distance, steptronic, sirius, navi and BMW assist. Is this a good deal? I e-mailed BMW of Palm Springs and they indicated this was a good deal. Can anyone share some feedback? At any rate, I am soooo excited for the delivery in August.
    Update. A friend of mined referred a salesperson at Braman Motors who was excellent. I called the salesperson and they found the exact car in inventory and I gave him my price of $36k (+ tax, tag,fees). He told me he could do the price but wanted to know when I would buy. I told him I would be there the next day. He said I will see you tomorrow with your brand new BMW. At this point I thought he was just trying to get me into the showrrom to try and wear me down until I agreed to a higer price. When we got to the showroom he asked us if we wnated some water which we agreed to and then he disappeared. I thought to myself, here we go, he 's going to have us just sit arounf forever until we give in. Then about 20 minutes later he shows up and asks us to walk outside to see the car. He wanted to make sure that the one he had was exactly what we wanted. Once we saw it we went back to his desk and he asked me what price I wanted to pay. I reminded him it wsa $36K and he said ok how do you want to pay for it. That was it. No bulls**t back and forth just a simple easy transaction. It was so easy I couldn't take the smile of my face. I truly wish all my car buying experiences coudl have gone like this.