Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tmchowtmchow Member Posts: 35
    xeye: I'm not following your logic on repairs and the condition of a CPO car. You're implying that every 335 CPO on the market has been (a) driven hard and (b) the driving is so hard that it's going to cause eventual repair.

You have to remember that not everyone that buys a BMW is on these forums or other enthusiast forums. Even if they are, it doesn't mean they drive the cars too hard or thrash on them. There is a glut of people that drive their cars "normally" and thus leave a used car in great condition.

Given this, from a purely financial perspective buying a CPO is better than a new car any day of the week. I'm not knocking anyone that buys a new car (finance or lease). If you have the money, then go for it. But don't delude yourself by justifying that the only way to go is to buy a brand new car because a used CPO "will" fail.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I didn't realize that CPO stood for Certain Peculiar Odors.

With my saving of around $10k on a loaded 335i, I'll buy a few 14k gold clothespins for my nose. I'll adjust somehow! :shades:

GEEZ!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    if one could purchase a (1-2 year old) CPO 335i or a brand spankin' new 328i. My whole "problem" is spending mid-high $30's for a used car. For instance, I can account for every gallon of gasoline (always super), every quart of oil (always castrol syntec or mobil 1), and every one of the almost 102,000 miles on my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH.

I know the whole depreciation hit a new car takes and that it is financially more responsible. I'm not so much worried about how the cars are treated (abused or driven to church on Sunday) as I am about how the car was maintained. Turbos need oil and I don't think new oil every 15K is going to cut it if I want to keep the car past the 100K mark. Was the car broken in properly? Did the previous lessee start to put regular gas in it when gas climbed past the $3.50 per gallon mark?

BUt logic does seem to get thrown out the window when you're talking about twin turbos, 300 hp/300 lb-ft of torque...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    SO I did a quick search on BMW's website of cpo 3 series sedans with manual transmissions within 150 miles of my zipcode. BTW, I wish BMW would let you pick Sport Package as one of the search criteria. Anyway, I found 1 335i that met my qualifications (Stick w/ Sport Package) 140 miles from where I live.

Here's it is:

2007 335i Sedan (Black Saphire/Black Leather)
    Metallic Paint, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, Power rear sunshade
    10.4 K miles
    Asking price $38,900

The same car today on BMW's website has an MSRP of $ 48,000

So they're saying the 2 year old '07 335i is only worth $10K less than brand new. To me that car is worth $34K tops. It is either a lease return or a trade-in (in which case they probably gave the guy $31-$32K). At trade-in time (when he couldn't believe how low the trade-in value was compared to what he paid just 2 years ago) they probably told him that since it is RWD (The car is in MA, AWD country) and a Stick it will be hard to get rid of. They'd probably tell me if I was interested that the stick is rare, the car had to be brought up to CPO standards, they have to pay BMW for the CPO warranty, and they'll only offer a small discount off their CPO askin price.

An '09 335i sedan built to my specifications: Crimson Red ($0), Black Leatherette ($0), 6-speed stick ($0), Sport, Cold Weather, SIRIUS, & iPod adap. stickers for $45,220.

The asking price of the used car is only $6K less than the new car's MSRP (and nobody pays MSRP for BMWs unless it is a new m-car or 1 series) built the way I want it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    is step on the gas of each car from rest. You will drive away with the CPO 335i, butt smell and all. All logic goes out the window. Buy a can of Lysol and forget the new 328i. You will not be happy with it.

Asking price is just that; they expect you to bargain. They want to get rid of these cars.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    We've got a huge number of 335i sedans used.

20k miles at Crevier - 32.8k suggested price.
    14k miles at McKenna - 34k suggested priced
    15k miles at Century West - 35k fully loaded

Yes they're all autos. Let's be clear, finding a used manual 335i so soon is kinda a longshot. That's an enthusiast's car. The person who ordered that car wanted that car. And the people who want them are very definite about what they want .
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Hi all,

This morning at around 6:45 AM when I checked in to see if anyone had seen and responded to my post, I decided to wait until this evening to view the replies. As I wasn't sure whether I'd be pilloried. vilified or otherwise burned at the stake for suggesting buying new, I really didn't feel like being distracted by the replies.

I was actually pleasantly surprised! By no means did I intend to infer that every CPO BMW is destined for the hydraulic lift. In fact, I saw a 325 (xi, I think) that looked cherry except for a 6" down-to-the-primer scratch on the front passenger door that I asked to be repaired as a condition of the sale. I got no reply from the dealer. It's not a negotiable item. Fix the $^#$ door BEFORE putting it on sale.

The CPO cars look (mostly) great, and it's great fun to stroll between them. It IS a shame that so many are slushboxes. In addition, my local dealer raised the "no haggle" price based on the demand.

In spite of what they call it, CPO = "previously owned", "little old lady from Pasadena", "used" plus a warranty (not a guarantee) that issues will be addressed. I just have a nervous feeling that I'll hear, sooner or later, "Well, what did you expect from a used car?" Anyone can be a "sharp dressed man", to quote a long-bearded rock trio, but it's what's behind the Grinch grin that's important.

As I said, to each his own. For now, one car is paid off, the other has 60 months to be paid off, and I haven't made my first payment yet. It'll hurt on October 7th, and I'll let you know how much pain results.

May ALL your travels face-to-face the Rondel be pleasant, flat-free (especially RF!), and high speed-Trooper-free!

xeye
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    I absolutely love my new 3! :shades: Ok..here's the details:

2008 335i Sedan, Sports Package, Manual, Black/Black, 4 year BMW Assist + Blue Tooth, Aluminum Interior Trim... that's it! nice and simple.

Sale price: $40,160, 0.9%, Zero Down!

The car had 6 miles on it :) It was a pleasurable buying experience at South Bay, and I highly recommend them! I absolutely love this new car..especially the 6spd manual! Low end torque is very satisfying. The car looks absolutely beautiful and it's so much fun to drive.

Good luck in your buying experiences.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Congratulations, Joseph. I like your approach to optioning your 3: just the basics, with nothing that will get in the way of driving pleasure.

IIRC, you were flirting with getting an M3, but the 335i is a much smarter choice for a daily driver.

Enjoy your new car. It sounds terrific.
    The 335 is the smart drive but good grief have you heard an M3 or M5? OMG, it's like aural heaven.
  • stuman168stuman168 Member Posts: 27
    I went to BMW dealership today to look at the 3 series. To my surprise there still quite a few 2007 3 series on the lot which advertised for 1000 below invoice.
    I thought that's still too expensive considering it's 2007. is there sth wrong with 2007?
    No 6 sp manual available either. The salesman said usually you have to order 6sp manual. is that true?
    1. 1k below is decent
    2. Finding a manual on a lot is pretty rare. Most manuals today are special ordered as Americans are lazy and dealers want the extra cash an automatic guarantees.
  • duke167duke167 Member Posts: 8
    i got some new offers for 2009 328xi few days ago.

2009 328xi + Premium + cold + nav + xeon + parking sensor, MSRP around 46k

for purchase, it's invoice price + $1000
    for 36m lease, it's $520/month + $5000 down payment

Do you think it's a good deal?

It's really doesn't matter for me to drive a 2008 or 2009 328xi, but the dealer told me that most 2008 328 already sold out the north east region (which i have doubt about that...), that's why I forced to look at the 2009 model.

2009 has no auto transmission rebate, and the base MSRP is $1k more expensive.
    $5000 down payment on a lease is a bad idea UNLESS that's for Multiple Security Deposits (MSDs).

Also, you should visit www.leaseguide.com and read up on exactly what needs to be known and negotiated for a lease: money factor, residual, sales price, etc.
  • amygdalaamygdala Member Posts: 6
    dealer asking price is 32, 400,

it has 0240 Leather steering wheel
    0249 Multi-function steering wheel 04AB Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    0403 Moonroof 0441 Smoker's package
    0521 Rain sensor and auto headlight 0534 Automatic air conditioning
    0544 Dynamic cruise control 0563 Ambient light package
    05GA Alarm pre-wiring 0507 Park Distance Control (rear)
    0620 Voice activation 0677 Logic7 sound system
    0693 Satellite radio preparation 0694 CD changer preparation
    06UH Real Time Traffic Information 0609 Navigation system
    0ZCW Cold Weather Package 0ZPP Premium Package

what you guys think is best deal on this car, it has baout 14k miles on it, please help me out, this is my first time buying any bmw, thank you all for your time
    i saw a similar car in new jersey, packages are about the same, but the mileage is a little higher 28K, list price is 33.5 and the agent offer me 30.5.

i believe you can offer him 30k and negotiate from there.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    At this price, why not spend couple of $$ and buy a new one. The financing savings alone will cover most of the difference.
  • docgarydocgary Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to purchase a 2006 CPO 3 series in New Jersey.

I would appreciate outlining the differences between riding characteristics of the
    325 and 330, rear wheel and all wheel.

Is there an appreciative power sag with the 325?

Is the 'x" a bit flat off the line and around corners?

Is the all wheel a MUST in snow or is the rear wheel fine with good tires?

I've owned a 1994 325i and 1997 540i - loved them both but was a life time ago - in the past 11-14 years I've LEASED MB SL 500, CLK 320, porsche carrera, Jag VDP and most recently a Infiniti M35x - The Infiniti is an awesome car! However, I miss the driving fun only a BMW offers.
    Alas, I will have to get use to a lack of creature comforts that this 57 year old got very used to!

Offered prices in several dealers: all are CPO with under 25 K mileage

2006 325i - 25K
    325xi- 26K
    330i - 28K
    330xi- 29k

hELP ME MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE

TIA
    DOCGARY
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    What you need to do is drive the cars that you are interested in, and then just pick the one that makes you smile. For me, that car would be the 330i. I'd simply call go to tirerack.com and pick out a winter tire/wheel set. With winter tires on all four wheels you'll have no trouble getting around, and your summer tires will last longer as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    The right choice is a personal decision and there is room for disagreement (which is why they make this car in all these different flavors).

If it may help YOUR decision, I was faced with these choices a few years ago and ended up getting the 330i. To me, acceleration of the 325i was adequate while acceleration of the 330i put a smile on my face. It made the difference between pleasant to drive and fun to drive, from an acceleration point of view. You lose some acceleration and fuel efficiency with the heavier xi - ALL YEAR ROUND. I went with the i and did the winter wheels/tires changeover thing. The car was fine in NY winter.
  • ltsang1ltsang1 Member Posts: 3
    The forum provided detail info on others who posted their deals and it was most helpful in my negotiation for my own deal. So, here is my lease deal made yesterday.

2008 335i Sedan $48.5 MSRP 36mo/12K - Premium, sport, paddle shifters, steptronic auto, iPod/usb and navigation. Cash out the door $1640 and based monthly payment before tax was $544. I believe I did OK. What do you think?
  • jaggjagg Member Posts: 21
    Doesn't sound bad.

I'm looking at a 2008 335i. $42k MSRP. 36mo/12k. Premium, Sat, Auto. $800 down (inc first month payment). $571/month after tax.
    It's a 2007 328xi CPO, with 20K miles. Standard warranty cover until 2011.
    I believe BMW CPO should be something that I don't need to worry right? other than brake and wheel, BMW should cover everything, that's my impression at least.

This CPO is below kelly blue book price, that make me concern as I don't know if the dealer are going to play any trick with me.

other than a exterior inspection and test drive, what should I check?
  • vavvaruvavvaru Member Posts: 4
    I have a quote from a dealer for 2009 328xi- $38900
    MSRP: 41300
    Non metallic paint
    Premium Pkg
    Heated seats.

Is it good?
    it's auto transmission right?
    the price is around 1k above invoice, that's the best deal i got for 2009 3 series when i shopped bmw in the last few weeks.
    Yes, it is automatic transmission.
    I am also getting the exact same thing in 2008 model for $37000.
    Which is better?
    a $4300 difference between 2008 and 2009....for a minor redesign...
    i have a similar dilemma last week, but turned out I bought a fully loaded 2007 CPO for 31k.

For me, if I can get a 2008 and 2009 same price, with the exact color and package that I want, I will go for the 2008 to save 4k. but it's really depend of a lot of things, If 4k is not something you care and bmw is your dream, then let go for the 2009.

as you might know that bmw has a rebate for 2008 auto transmission, let try to push your dealer to give u a better offer on 2008!
    Actually, it is $1900 difference.
    2009 model $38900
    2008 model $37000

Msrps are
    2009 model - $41300
    2008 model - $40600
    2k difference definitely go for 2009.
  • bmwbuyer2bmwbuyer2 Member Posts: 7
    Quick question was shopping around today for left over stock on 2008's.
    dealer quoted me the following deal... is this any good?

Black with Black leatherette
    Auto Trans
    Power Seats
    & Heated Seats.

No money down just pay 1st month and DMV fees (tax rolled into payment NJ)

$471 a month ...?

I am a returning BMWF customer not sure if that helps or not.

Thanks

Steven
  • nw0anw0a Member Posts: 7
    It has been a while since I purchased my last vehicle (18 years), so I could really use some buying assistance now.

A Colorado dealer (400 miles away) provided this quote for a 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe with the Premium and Cold Weather Packages, Automatic, Comfort Access and Back-up Sensors:

* MSRP $49125
    * Selling price $44465 (Invoice less $1260 for Auto Trans Incentive)
    * Dealer handling fee $389
    * $0 cash down with BMW FS

Being the end of the year and the financial climate we find ourselves in, is this a good deal or could I realistically expect the dealer to go a bit lower?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this one.

Joseph
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    What the heck is a "dealer handling fee"? The price doesn't sound high, but I'd nicely suggest where the dealer can stick their "handling fee".
    HI Guys,

Any of you have any insight if this is a good deal.. i can't get the dealer to budge but yet i keep seeing the replies in this forum talking about an automatic trans discount of $1200.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great... i am in a bind of what to do... otherwise should i wait for an 09?
  • docgarydocgary Member Posts: 17
    2006 325i.....24,000 miles CPO and balance of maintenance

sports package
    premium and cold weather package
    upgrade harmon Kordon radio - ?logic 7?
    xenon lights
    rear sun shade
    new tires x 4
    interesting interior color - brown med/dark

2 small dings on driver door - to be fixxed by dealer

$26,428 ( original $28,995 discounted to 27,000 (dropped ~$500)

..3.9% ...no $ down...$513 per month x 60 months OTD

decent price??

TIA
    docgary
    is that your choice of color or not?
    it sound a fair deal to me, esp for a return bmwf customer.

let try to quote for some NY dealer, most of the time they offer better price than nj dealer.
    Hi,

Thanks for your help appreciate it! I was looking for white and beige but since they had black on black that is also a nice color combo i can deal with.. just will be doing a lot more cleaning that usual.

I thought it was fair too. But then the more i thought about them clearing out 08's and then this automatic trans discount i wondered if it really was as good as they are making it appear..?

Thanks again!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Sounds like a decent offer. What is the color combo?
    when i shop for my car, i got an offer for 2009 328xi (my prefer color, full load package), $515 + 1k down. It's 10% more than your offer, but u know it's 2009 model.

that's what make me think $470 is only a fair deal. If you can wait, why don't you wait till the month end, i believe the dealer will definitely call you up to discuss.
  • trone76trone76 Member Posts: 2
    Guys, Are these lease deals? Sounds like it but just wanted to make sure.
  • bmwx330bmwx330 Member Posts: 10
    FYI

In case anyone didn't notice, they quietly drop some of their lease payments on '08 models.

For example, when "lease special" started, they quoted $549/month for 335xi Sedan (base on MSRP of 46k).

Today, it's $509
    Wow! Is this lease reduction confirmed for 2008 328i's or is it only for the 335xi's

that would be a huge deal in payments for me.. and would seal the deal for an 2008.
  • 6speedchick6speedchick Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 mini for 23.5 and the same dealer gave me 22K as a trade in bought a 2006 325i, leather,no wood, and navi for 25K its also is A CPO, it has 48K on her now and is mint in every way.one owner car. was able to write a check for a few thousand and have no payments yea!
  • jcgellinjcgellin Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from a dealer looking for a 335xi sedan and they offered me 45,800 (800 below invoice). My concern (and it is a major one) is that this was the sales manager car, he said the usual nobody drove this car except me and my staff blah blah... it is a good deal but what should I be worried about? I was offered the same price on a lease but I'm not the greatest fan of leases.

Black/Beige loaded with premium, cold weather, nav, sport and is an auto.
    5200 miles.

Any feedback is appreciated since me and my girl are going back tomorrow with a decision!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    My issue with these deals is that they are usually more than buying the same car used. I would compare against private party sales.
    NO deal.. no way no how....

They are used and abused... big deal its 800 below invoice..you are getting a car that has been used with 5k miles there is no way that is just around town stuff and even you know the blah blah speech it was babied... yea ok.. it was absuded and beat on like no tomorrow. Leave it and wait for another deal to come around.

negotiate on an inventory 08 they are slim pickens but they ARE out there...give him 100 check and tell him to locate you one or your out.
    Go to bmwusa.com and click on Lease Offers (bottom right)

Lease for 328xi Sedan
    MSRP = $40,100
    $419 month,

• $419 First months payment
    • $2,500 Down payment
    • $450 Security Deposit
    • $3,369 Cash due at signing
    jcgellin,

That is a horrible deal, dealer trying to rip you off. Charging you $45,800 for vehicle with 5000 miles is crap.

I just priced your vehicle on carsdirect.com (they give instant quote). Price might vary depending on zip code but this is what I got in Colorado.

MSRP $46,850
    Target price = $43,774

Also keep in mind this is for vehicle with 0 miles
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Hi Guys,
    Any I am in the market for a used or CPO BMW.
    But the problem is I want to either purchase private party to save some $$ and then get the 100k warranty, but how much does it cost to get the 100k warranty?
    Any idea how much the 100k maintainence plan is?
    I am in the market for a 7 series but nobody is responding in that thread!
    I imagine the price is the same for 3 series or 7 series.

PLEASE HELP. making the deal tomorrow!
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Alright so, heres the deal...
    I had an AWESOME bmw x5, 4.4i, sport package, x-drive, loved it.
    It got totaled.
    SO... while i had the x5 i got a 335 rental and LOVED IT, so i was looking at used 330xi's , 06 and above, to replace the x5 just because i love the way they drive, awesome car, plus the 20/30 is a nice change from my x5s 16/22.
    I also am intrigued by the 2008 r32's, and used theyre about the same for a lot less milage and more warranty. updated...i just drove one today, and it is AWESOME. totally unexpected, its actually more fun than the 3 series, and im a HUGE bmw fan so thats saying a lot. i even went to the bmw driving school, i think theyre the benchmark. that car was GOOD. so now im thorougly confused...
    I drove an a4, it was a 06 2.0t, and was really unimpressed (we have a q7 and it did not hold up to the standard set by the q), so im thinking maybe an 05 s4 would be a nice choice and would drive differently, but again, the gas milage...
    AND, the subaru sounds like an all-around good buy, but i dont know if i can see myself actually getting one. (and possibly, i could look at fx's again, i looked at em when i got my x5, but i kinda wanted to move away from the suv thing, so if i got another one its prob be an x5)
    if anyone could give my any advice or insight or opinion ill take anything i can get!! thank you guys so much!! please help i cant decide!! ive only driven the 330i, and so far ive set that as a benchmark for anything else i drive...
    Thanks for the help!!!!