Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    Maco=$250 Training/service fee=$180 Appearance fee=$189 Electronic fee=$25 for communicating on the internet. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    MACO is legit; everything else is bogus- 100% pure profit for the dealer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sjsharkiesjsharkie Member Posts: 9
    Interested in a CPO 2007 328i with 20K miles - Monaco Blue

Includes:
    - Automatic Steptronic
    - Premium Pkg
    - Sport Pkg
    - Cold Weather Pkg
    - Xenon headlights
    - Keyless entry

Dealer is listing it at $32K which is way too much. I think this has been sitting on the lot for a while (it has been there for at least 1 1/2 months AFAIK). On TMV, I pull it up as $30.4K Certified, $28K Dealer Retail, $25.7K Private Pty, $23.3K Trade-In.

My wife likes the color. We don't need all the options in there, but it looks like it would suit us. We went to go look at a 2007 IS250 loaded with NAV and we got them down to $24K. Wondering if I can get close to the trade-in price here for a CPO BMW.

Interested in people's thoughts on this one. I live in Nor Cal.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    So I can just say no to paying the rest-training etc.? Also is $500 over invoice a good deal or will they do it at invoice? Thanks for your time?
    So I can just say no to paying the rest-training etc.?

Yes.

Also is $500 over invoice a good deal or will they do it at invoice?

You should be able to work a deal at invoice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    The $180 is training.... It's on the invoice, just like MACO..

Are you negotiating an "Invoice $+" deal? If so, then they'll charge you whatever is on their invoice... But, if you offered $35,XXX for their car, then there shouldn't be any fees added.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My mistake; I forgot about the training... :sick:

• magplatemagplate Member Posts: 2
    Bought yesterday, brand new leftover 2008 (21 miles), Sport Package, Premium Package. Jet Black with Terra leather - I love this car!

Sticker: $45,350
    Paid: $37,160

They also gave me $1000 more for my trade than a Mercedes dealer and 2 other BMW dealers were offering. It was one of 6 new 2008's they had and the only one with Sport AND Premium. The others have similar discounts at this time.
    Nice!

I love Terra leather.. plus, 300 hp is pretty cool, too... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

They offered $28K fairly easily. I think I can get this down to $25K if I go down there and negotiate. Is that out of the question for the options attached?

-ryan
  • xcountryflyerxcountryflyer Member Posts: 32
    My uncle bought a white 4DR 328i 6AT for $32,800 before taxes and fees in SF Bay Area. Base model with nothing on it but the AT. He took advantage of the .9% and first two payments deal. The dealers seemed willing to deal. He also looked at Acura TSX, Infiniti 08/09 G35/G37 and Lexus IS. He had a first generation Audi A4 and I think fell under the sway of the BMW. I was between the G and the 3-Series. Every car dealer he visited was willing to work at invoice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Your car has a 6-speed manual transmission? Nice! Way to go! Enjoy the car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• magplatemagplate Member Posts: 2
    It has the automatic - I would have preferred the stick but had no choice.

It does have the paddle shifters though. I'm having trouble keeping the RPM's under 4500 for the break-in period...
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    (comparing to a 2009 model)

Has anyone gotten any quotes on 335d below MSRP?
  • iaymnuiaymnu Member Posts: 5
    SO I just came back from the dealer and got a price. My husband and I plan on taking the financing deal for a 328xi with Premium Package, Cold Weather and Nav. After a bit of paper shuffling the sales gave me an OTD price of $47576.

Does this sound too much? This will be our 1st BMW, and it seems going in the dealer with edmunds TMV doesn't help much. Also need to buy the car before this month ends also. We are in the NYC area.
    Please help :cry:
  • hemanthhhemanthh Member Posts: 40
    Cant speak for the '09, but I recently got an 06 330xi fully loaded for about 26k. Like somebody else said on this board a few days ago, that like almost half the price. Why no look for a CPO with the same financing option? Shop around till you find a car that is really in shape and looks like new...

But then, of course, if you have your heart set on a brand new car..:)
    Yes, we have our hearts set on a brand new car. :blush:

I just can't seem to find threads about purchasing/paid new '09s.
    I am totally in a bind since I am racing against time now. :sick:
  • jicbulkjicbulk Member Posts: 25
    6-Spd with Htd Seats and Ti Silver Metallic Paint
    16k miles
    Mine for $22,600 OTD

Still can't believe it! Fantastic Car!
    Yes, we have our hearts set on a brand new car.

If you buy a CPO 2008 you will save at least $10,000-$15,000 AND you will have a better warranty. And you could have a 335i instead of a 328i...

sweet car dude! what was the asking price?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Great deal!

Curious to know where you live and what the sales tax rate was since you mentioned the price was OTD.

Enjoy the car.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    That sounds really high to me - at least 4 to 5K over what it should be, especially now. I'm assuming OTD means just that and includes tax, which you can't escape, but that it also includes some fees that are just bogus means of bringing in more to the dealership. Have you sought other offers, including via the Internet? As anxious as you are to get the car, these guys are at least as anxious to sell. Good luck.

-jaj
    I have a deal right now at $200 over invoice but working to get invoice which i should get soon. My question is do i have to pay Training/service fee which is $180 & do i have to pay Maco which is $250 and appearance package is $189 & Electronic fee is $25. Thanks for your help on this.
    That is what I exactly feel. I am looking into other dealers in the NYC area, but we went here first because it is 2 miles from our home. I am anxious to get the car, but not when I don't feel comfortable.

Edmunds TMV suggested ~41k for the model (328xi AT,PP Cold weather NAV) in my area. So should my tactic be offering price between the MSRP and TMV? (i know the prices are before tax and other fees).

It is very discouraging having the dealer confidently saying they gave me a "discount" when it clearly seems a bit over. :sick:
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    If you buy a CPO 2008 you will save at least $10,000-$15,000 AND you will have a better warranty. And you could have a 335i instead of a 328i...

I bought a 2007 335i sport, navi - saved about 18-19k from the vehicle's MSRP (got it for 26.5k including BMWCCA rebate). I couldn't find a 328i manual with sport for 22k-23k otherwise I would have gone for that.
    Edmunds TMV suggested ~41k for the model (328xi AT,PP Cold weather NAV) in my area. So should my tactic be offering price between the MSRP and TMV? (i know the prices are before tax and other fees).

1:
    Internet only - do not go to a lot until the deal is ready

2:
    Internet only - sorry had to repeat it. Going on the lot is a waste.

3:
    Invoice minus any trunk money. If you have a BMWFS lease or loan, you've got a couple grand waiting for you. If you do not, then invoice. That's it. Invoice + maybe $100-400 (depending on how generous you feel).

4:
    No mention of a trade-in

5:
    Negotiate price AND check extra fees. Some scummy dealers tack on extras.

Be prepared to walk away. They NEED you. You do not need them.

I did my last 2 BMWs and Mini via phone/internet. On my last BMW we showed up with the deal ready (they even had my info as I was that sure); drove the car; signed the papers; left the dealership in under 1 hour.

Salespeople are a waste of your time. Internet. TMV is a joke - aim much lower as TMV reflects what the average boob pays.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Blueguy's advice is very sound. Keep in mind, too, that no matter who you purchase the vehicle from, you can still get it serviced at the dealership two miles from your home. And they'll be happy to have your business. Let us know how you make out.

-jaj
    Thanks for the great advice!

Hope i don't need to exercise #6 too often
    It was at a Honda dealership and they had it online for $23,800 and I had several phone conversations with a Sales Manager. When I went in the Sales Guy puts me through the ringer with forms, etc. , then we drive the car, then he goes to his Mgrs and comes at me with a figure of $29+. I'm like, "Um, No." and showed him the internet ad. He goes away and comes back with stuff like "Well, the car was mispriced, but they'll honor it if you really want it..." and then talked about how internet shoppers get better pricing than the people who walk on to the lot...? Anyway, 2 or 3 rounds later and we sealed the deal.
    Ryan - I live in Tax-Free NH so there was NO Sales Tax!
    Thanks for the info.

I have to tack on 8.25% for mine :( The price of living in CA. (And for those of you buying a car in CA, if you wait until April 1, sales tax is going up by 1% :mad: )

Hope you enjoy the car. I think you got a great deal!

-ryan
    We finally made our decision. 2009 328xi with PP, Cold Weather, Navi, Ipod connectoin. We got a price of $44500 OTD. Not sure if the deal was great or just avg, but it was definitely better than our first. :D
    how do you like your 335i? Are you happier with it than your former 330i?

Much happier. Of course I'm now 3 cars removed from my ZHP. I'd still like to remove the 18s, put on go flat 17s and get a real exhaust on the car but otherwise I'm enjoying it. A couple of dips into wide-open-throttle every day makes me smile, RWD feels like home, the AC really thumps (thank god as it's miserably hot here), 23 mpg average is fine for mixed/aggressive driving and of course with my infant son it's so much easier to live with daily than my Cooper S.

I smile when I fire it up in the morning. Can't say that happened with my 2006 330i.
  • biggedbigged Member Posts: 1
    Yes it is too much. I just lock in a quote from Life quality BMW for the following package:

STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Navigation
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Cold
    IPod/USB
    Parking distance control
    Comfort Access System
    Blue tooth wireless

all for $47,800 and i am not getting a 328xi but a much more expensive 335xi.
    You have to make sure you look at their wholesale value before you start negotiating the price with them. Especially at this time, THEY NEED YOU! don't pay more then you're suppose to. I am an accountant so you can pretty much imagine on how cheap can i get lol. well hope that helps!
    I'm glad you're happy with your car (& your kid too...congrats btw!). I'm so far away from my next vehicle purchase as my '01 Prelude (still makes me smile every time I fire it up) has over 108,000 miles and shows no sign of age, we are expecting child #2 in about 4 weeks, and we are trying (since May '08) to sell our 2 bedroom condo and buy a house. I've never actually thought to get a used car as my daily driver. I've always rationalized by saying, I'd rather have a new 328i with few options rather than a used 335i. Unfortunately I've driven a 335xi & 535xi (slushboxes saddled by AWD) and found the acceleration simply intoxicating. So when the time comes I'm going to strongly consider a CPO search for a 335i (Sport & stick of course).

Funny how things come around full circle. Back in '01 when the E46 330i first came out, people on the left side of the country were paying MSRP +. Used E36 328is coupes were commanding just a few thousand less than a new E46. Now BMW is offering cheap financing + 2 payments (new) & used twin turbo 3ers are screaming bargains.

• louiseamberlouiseamber Member Posts: 9

roadburner - what do you mean when you say the warranty is better for a CPO vs. a new 2009? Are you referring to the additional 2 yrs of warranty on all CPOs, or something else? Just curious.

I am in the market to buy a new 2009 328i - enticed by the 0.9% and 2 month payment. Thanks to this forum, though, I've also now been shopping for 2006 325i's and 330i's with low mileage since BMW also has the 0.9% financing on these models. I've never bought a used car before - how do you derive what offer to make to the dealer? I know that for new cars, the goal is to get the dealer as close to invoice (less any incentives or rebates) for the best deal. With used cars, there's no invoice, correct? So should I be negotiating based on the Edmunds TMV or Kelly BB price? I'm just looking for help on how to figure out what the best price on a car should be.

For example, here's one of the 2 cars I'm looking at:

2006 330i
    Prem Package, Sport Package, Auto, Xenon, Navigation, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 Sound System
    15,796 miles
    Asking price - $29,991

What would be a good price to buy this car at? (and how did you get to that number?)

Thanks for your help!
  • jackdelia4ujackdelia4u Member Posts: 26
  • jackdelia4ujackdelia4u Member Posts: 26
    Maybe someone can help me? I own a 2007 328i stationwagon that I have had nothing but problems with since I purchased it new! It is now 15 months old with just over 25k miles on the clock and for the second time in the last year my electronic door locks are not working. No, it is not the key fob battery. The last time the dealership told me that one or two of the door locks were defective and replaced them. Now this has happened again in such a short time. I am starting to wonder if this "new" vehicle that I bought from the dealer was a flood vehicle that was rejuvenated. Is their a way, other than using carfax, to find if my new vehicle was damaged prior to sale as a new car? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J.
  • louiseamberlouiseamber Member Posts: 9
    They offered $28K fairly easily. I think I can get this down to $25K if I go down there and negotiate. Is that out of the question for the options attached?

sjsharkie - did you buy the car? I'm curious what the final price was, as I found a similarly equipped '07 328i here in LA...

AJ
  • sl517sl517 Member Posts: 19
    Hi, I need your help on this. I just received an offer for a 2009 328i coupe with the following options: auto, sport, nav, ipod for 40000 plus acquistion fee of 750. Should it be included in the total price or is it a separate fee? thank you.
    Is it a lease?

All BMW leases have an acquisition fee of $725, which the dealer may mark up for extra profit. The maximum markup is $200..

If it's not a lease, then no acquisition fee...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

yes it is for a lease. but my question is should i expect to pay that acquisiton fee above the edmunds invoice price which is 39.2k. the dealer told me it is not included. Another question is how much should advertisement fee be. i know its a legitimate fee but how much should i really be paying for that, and again should i include that fee on top of the invoice? thanks
    The fee goes to the bank.. Or, at least $725 of it does... The dealer doesn't get a piece of the first $725.

Advertising varies. MACO (to use the BMW term) is generally $250-$450 per vehicle.

You pay whatever you negotiate. If you agreed to "invoice + $XXX", then MACO is certainly on the dealer's invoice. If you lease, you have to pay the acquisition fee (or roll it into the payment).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Here are the details of my offer for a 2009 jet black 328i coupe

Auto
    Sports Package
    Nav
    Ipod Integration
    3yrs/36k lease
    Residual 60%

MSRP 42700
    Price Offer 40000 includes MACO but not acquisition (750) for a total of 40750

0 down payment, 4800 in security deposits for a money factor of 0.00131. Payments will be 548 a month including tax
  • nkhan2nkhan2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

hope all is well. i am new to this. i just went to the dealer below is what i was quoted, please let me know if i am getting a good deal or not:

325xi
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Navigation
    Automatic

44k price of car

with $3800 down (which includes all the fees and taxes and first month payment) the lease comes out to $599/month and i get 15000 miles. the guy said if i add the sports package the lease will be $620

i know i am being ripped off but one i did not negotiate at all as of yet. i want to know how much i am being ripped off by so i don't sound dumb when i speak this this fellow.

--
    Regards,

Nasir Khan
    roadburner - what do you mean when you say the warranty is better for a CPO vs. a new 2009? Are you referring to the additional 2 yrs of warranty on all CPOs, or something else?

Yes, I'm referring to the added age and mileage limits of the CPO warranty.

• bluetacktwobluetacktwo Member Posts: 4
    Here are the details on my latest purchase

After talking to all the dealers in So Cal I ended up with the following.

2008 335i (new)
    Sedan
    Automatic
    Titanium Silver
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    iPod
    Comfort Access
    Satellite Radio

Paid 37,845 before tax & license. Even threw in a couple free mats.

If anyone is interested it was at Encinitas BMW and they had a few more in stock.
  • rqysrqys Member Posts: 3
    bluetacktwo,

who did you contact at encinitas bmw? Thanks.
  • bluetacktwobluetacktwo Member Posts: 4
    I'd love to say since he was great to work with but the forum rules indicate that I can't post his name. I'd recommend making an inquiry to their internet sales department and they should be able to help you.