Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'd avoid Encinitas BMW like the plague. I did my 2006 ED through them. You have to watch every step with them. When I was shopping for a car recently they kept trying to pull all manner of shenanigans (like claiming the car was at invoice with the rebates, rather than going to invoice and then adding rebates). They always pretend like they've never heard of Multiple Security Deposits. They mark up their MF and will not admit to it.

In my experience, they're not to be trusted.
    With used cars, there's no invoice, correct? So should I be negotiating based on the Edmunds TMV or Kelly BB price? I'm just looking for help on how to figure out what the best price on a car should be.

In this market determine the Edmunds trade-in value and then for a CPO that's about what you should pay. Edmunds and KBB are pretty far behind the curve right now.
  • louiseamberlouiseamber Member Posts: 9
    n this market determine the Edmunds trade-in value and then for a CPO that's about what you should pay. Edmunds and KBB are pretty far behind the curve right now.

Thanks for the help. I guess markups on used cars are greater than I thought. I plugged in the '06 330i I mentioned earlier into Edmunds appraisal tool to figure out the trade-in value. The dealer listed the car at $29,991, but Edmunds says the trade-in value is closer to $22,754 (even for regional adjustments). That's a markup of over $7K - could the dealer be marking up that much?? It looks like I should be aiming for a selling price then around $23,800 (give the dealer a little profit. :) )

~AJ
    Thing is, they probably paid even less than what Edmunds is listing as trade-in. The car (06s especially) probably arrived via auction after a lease return. Someone on another board can show you manheim for the same type of vehicle over the past couple weeks.

Yes, they mark up cars like crazy.
  • sjsharkiesjsharkie Member Posts: 9
    AJ--

Sorry, I've been swamped at work, but finally saw your message.

No, I didn't buy the car. They refused to budge on price so I walked (or in my case, hung up since I physically didn't go down there).

In response to bluedot's response to you, I will say though that there are some costs involved in getting the vehicle ready for sale. For example, the car I'm looking at is at 20K miles and there are new run flats on it. I assume the dealer had to put those on (or someone other than the original owner paid for it as it came off lease). So you do need to look at the car you are interested in and make adjustments to the price depending on condition -- new tires are a huge plus as those run flats are expensive.

Good luck.

-ryan
  • bluetacktwobluetacktwo Member Posts: 4
    Interesting. One of my wife's coworker went to Encinitias BMW a little over a year ago to pick up a 335 and had a similar experience to yours. The sales person at the time was quite rude and said something to the effect that he didn't look like the BMW type. Needless to say he didn't buy his car from there.

However my experience there was nothing but positive. I submitted my request to all the dealers in the area specifically stating what I was looking for. The Encinitas sales person was one of the few that quickly responded with an actual quote. After coming in to look at the car we wrapped up the deal... no games, no hassle. One of the best car purchase experiences I've had.

Several other dealers in the area just tried to get me to come in without providing quotes. Long Beach BMW was the worst. My wife called to get a quote on a 335 they had in stock and the sales person responded back "We're not in the business of providing quotes, we're in the business of making people happy" Funny, getting a quote would have made us happy.

I guess it all comes down to the sales person you get.
    Adding on to my above message...

I reread it and it may have sounded like I am disagreeing with bluedot. He is spot-on. Most of the CPOs are acquired through auction, and the markup is high. Just wanted to note that costs of transporting the car, getting it ready for sale, etc. are not included in the auction price.

Good luck and let me know if you fare better than I.

-ryan
    Yeah for the CPO process they supposedly spend about $2500 just to get the car in the program. I don't buy that part. I do believe they can spend some cash on reconditioning and repairs. My car came with a fresh set of 18 inch summer performance RFTs - that's a nice little investment.

Flipside, for some reason they did the full inspection on my car but didn't change the oil, even though the car was only 2k away from an oil change. How freaking odd is that?
    I also highly doubt they spend $2500 to get it CPO'd. I've heard dealers bat around $2K as the number to CPO a car coming off lease. I'd assume that the $2K price is the retail price, so it probably costs much less (who knows, I can't seem to find a straight answer on that one).

So you take the Manheim + CPO cost + recondition + transport + auction fees and then tack on a few extra bucks for profit is my calculation.

Your story is funny. I guess they gamble that maybe you won't bring it in on time saving them $$$. (my wife is one of those people that can remember what I ordered on our first date years ago, but can't remember to check the odometer and bring the car in for service)

-ryan
  • weiweiweiwei Member Posts: 1
    2009 328xi with

Automatic transmission
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    Navigation
    Ipod and USB adapter
    Monaco Blue/Beige Dakota Leathe

List Price: $45150, the dealer is offering : $41950 (invoice)+$500=$42450

Is it a good price? This month has 0.9%finance + first two monthly paid by BMW dealer (maximum to $1500)

Thanks,

Wendy
  • paidtoarguepaidtoargue Member Posts: 2
    Looking to lease a 328 coupe. I see that there are still some 2008's left at dealerships around Chicago area. Since it is a lease, I do not view there to be any great advantage to a 2009 over a 2008. Can anyone give me a sense or a range of how much would be saved per month leasing a 2008 instead of a 2009? Assume a 36 month lease with 12k. Thanks in advance.
  • LillianCPALillianCPA Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Dealer makes money by marking up the acquisition fee and the money factor and adding profit. Make sure you demand the " buy rate" and the $ 725 bank acquisition fee which is the mandatory unmarked up fee.
  • skeets7skeets7 Member Posts: 5
    Hey bluetacktwo, thanks for the heads up on a great deal. I spoke with the young man in internet sales at BMW Encinitas and told him about the "townhall" deal that you got. I asked for the same deal, and told him that I would be willing to drive two hours. I just asked that he email me the same deal on a car I scoped out on their website, so that there were no hitches. He emailed me the deal, and I drove down. They made it easy, and the finance manager was also very easy to deal with. I set everything up in advance, and they kept their word on everything. I left with a new 2008 black 335i that ended up being significantly cheaper than my local dealer offered on a 2009 328i. I let my other half drive it home, while I drove the other car. When we got back home, she just looked at me with a grin and said "you'll love it." Thanks again, and anyone looking to save a bundle on a rocket should get down their before they're gone.
  • lauter1lauter1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey skeets7, about your deal, how much it is off the original MSRP? I guess more than 10K? do they have special finiancing for 08 new model?
  • skeets7skeets7 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, it was $10,200 off (plus free mats), and no ridiculous fees that other dealers seemed to attach. As far as financing, it is not BMW supported, but they do offer financing. If you have outstanding credit they can get you a good rate, probably in the 4.5% range. Call and work it out with them in advance.
    Congrats. I'm shocked to hear about this but glad that people are leaving happy with their deals.
  • forex3forex3 Member Posts: 1
    So far, BMWNA only gave less than 2K for incentives (according to this board). But, since last May, EUR vs $ has dropped about 20%. While at the same time, however, BMWNA increased all the MRSPs (?%).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    European car makers can't adjust prices along with the Euro/USD exchange rate.. They can only charge what the competitive market allows..

Plus, the Euro is up 5% against the dollar, just in the last week... They probably have some sort of currency hedging strategy.. but, sometimes they come out ahead, and sometimes they lose.. they can't base prices strictly on what the Euro is doing over the short-term..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• louiseamberlouiseamber Member Posts: 9
    ryan-

so the dealership showed me the actual CPO cost on this car, and it's $1600. I also confirmed the car was bought from this dealership and returned to the same dealership 3 yrs later - a trade-in after the lease ended. so based on edmunds giving me a trade-in value of $23K, plus the $1600 for CPO, I figure the dealer costs on this car are around $25K. I got him down to $27.5K, but he won't budge any further. So, I'll sit tight, and wait to see if the car is still around next Tuesday at the end of the month to try to get a better offer....

aaah, the fun of negotiating!

-AJ
  • bluetacktwobluetacktwo Member Posts: 4
    I'm happy to hear that you had a similar experience. My wife and decided to break our new ride with a road trip out to Julian. I think I had a grin on my face the whole time. I'm absolutely loving this car.
    Too funny. That's the exact same price ($27.5K) that the dealer offered me on what I was looking at and they also would not budge. So I walked. The car has been there for almost 2 months, so I think if it sits a little longer, they may change their mind.

The TMV "trade-in" value is also suspect because the car generally wholesales for less than the trade-in TMV price. They may say they are giving a higher trade-in value, but when netted against the profit of selling the new vehicle to the consumer, who knows what the "actual" trade-in value provided was...which is why it is much better to negotiate the trade-in separate. So to make a long story short, the TMV price may be slightly inflated but a good guide nonetheless.

I like your strategy. Do keep in mind though the tax rate does bump up by 1% in CA on April 1, so you may have some competition end of month.

Good luck!
  • beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    I was wondering what i can get on the street for a 2000 323CI coupe-certified-perfect condition 102,000 miles 2.5 liter 6 cylinder-Black-cream leather-loaded premium package-Navigation- sunroof-Xenon headlights-Steptronic automatic transmission-Heated seats-6 Changer cd player-power seats-fairly new tires? I bought it new. Thanks for you help and if anyone's interested let me know?
  • willie2lwillie2l Member Posts: 14
    Hi, my daughter will be moving to Tucson this summer and one of the first things on her to do list is lease a 335i. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience, good or bad, with the BMW dealer(s) in the Tucson area. Also, any information on lease deals would be appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
  • prm43prm43 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease a 328i convertible. Coming out of a 3 year lease of an X5. Dealer informs me BMW has loyalty cash programs for 1,5 & 6 Series but no cash for 3 Series. Can someone let me know if that is correct. Also is there a discount available on the money factor if you are currently leasing from BMW. Thanks.
    $1000 cash only available on 3 series sedans.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I was wondering what i can get on the street for a 2000 323CI coupe-certified-perfect condition 102,000 miles 2.5 liter 6 cylinder-Black-cream leather-loaded premium package-Navigation- sunroof-Xenon headlights-Steptronic automatic transmission-Heated seats-6 Changer cd player-power seats-fairly new tires?

On the street? Round about $7500. Could vary slightly depending on where you live.

trade-in value is in the $6k neighborhood.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• hed1234hed1234 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2008 335i from BMW of Orland Park, Illinois, also through their internet sales manager. I had a similar experience as the salesman honored everything that he said on the phone, had the car detailed and ready to go with a full tank of gas. It's the best deal I've ever gotten on a car!! If you want a great price these internet deals are fantastic! I would deal with them again.
  • turboconvturboconv Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Before I purchase a used 335i convertible, I want to do my research to get a fair deal. I have been looking at Edmunds and bimmerfest. This is my first post to this forum.

Here is the used 335i convertible info:

2008 335i convertible
    Asking $41,900
    25,000 miles
    Steptronic auto
    Sport package
    Premium package
    Cold weather package
    Navigation
    Logic7
    HID xenon headlights
    Parking distance
    Satellite radio
    Active steering
    Paddle shifters
    One owner

This is not from a BMW dealership. Based on carfax, they bought it from auction. No service paper work. Asking price is pretty close to Edmunds TMV trade in. I couldn't find the Kelly blue book 335i convertible price. I also looked for 2008 left over model. Not too many left and I don't want to take the hit of 20% depreciation right off the parking lot.

I am going to test drive a new one at a dealer today and then test drive this used one to compare. I will also take the used car to my mechanic to check it out.

I am thinking to offer around $39K. Is that a reasonable good deal? Or should I look for new car deal instead? A dealer is offering $12,000 off MSRP for new 2009 M3 convertible. But that is outside what I want to pay.

Thanks for your comment and suggestion!
  • cbp1cbp1 Member Posts: 11
    I am currently leasing a 2006 330 with three remaining lease payments -- approximately $1850 total. Car only has 24,000 miles -- in good condition overall except for needing three tires. Looked today at a 2008 335 CPO, pretty well loaded, with 11,000 miles Bottom line price is $42,500 (includes ttl) which includes manufacturers and maintenance warranties good for 100,000 miles or until 2014. They will release me from my three lease payments. Dealer seems firm on his price. What do you guys think about their offer? Thanks
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I lived in Tucson 2003 through 2006 and owned an 04 330 convertible. I bought the car in Phoenix because the price was much better and did most of my service there as well. The Tucson dealer also sold Cadillac, Saab, and Pontiac. Getting a loaner car was painful and it was usually an old Grand Am.

The Mercedes dealer was even worse.

As an aside, if she's interested in Audi, the Audi dealer was fantastic. Even though I didn't buy my TT there, they picked it up at my office for service and left me a Porsche or high end Audi as a loaner.
    Thanks very much for the information.
  • carscarcarscar Member Posts: 22
    Is 3K off on MSRP for a 2009 328i a good offer? I am about to pull the trigger on this one, any pointer will be very helpful.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    I recommend you work from the invoice up rather than MSRP down. How much above invoice is their proposal?
  • carscarcarscar Member Posts: 22
    jaj, thank you very much for responding.

the best offer I have got so far is about $600 above invoice, i am trying to push for $200 above invoice. I am leasing a 325i currently and have just one more payment to go; trying to see if it makes sense to sign the deal now (if the offer is good)!
    carscar, if you are currently in a 3 lease then there's trunk money available for you. Your local BMW dealer isn't being truthful with you. You should be getting the car for less than invoice.
  • pgguypgguy Member Posts: 11
    to:blueguydotcom
    Is there "trunk money" available if you are getting out of a Mini lease into a 2009 335ci? I ordered n 09 335ci with a list of $47,000. It is being capped at $44,950 with a lease money factor of 0022, for a 36 month lease, 10,000 miles per year. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    Listed for $35.995, got down to $31,995 with the fact that I didn't want to buy today and walking out of the dealership. Is this a decent price on a silver CPO 335i coupe with 28k miles, 6 speed, navigation, cold weather, sport package? Is buying the first year of a turbo engine a bad idea?
  • newbie30newbie30 Member Posts: 1
    I was given an offer on a 2008 328 coupe with 7,200 miles, premium and sport package, heated seats, park assist...executive demo model for $33,777. This is my first BMW purchase. Not sure if this is a good price since it's a demo model. Any thoughts? I plan on purchasing tomorrow.
    If you leased through BMWFS (MiniFS is in the same family) then yes you qualify. I haven't seen the April rates but according to a dealer at Bimmerfest, they're much, much better than March.
  • chungchung Member Posts: 7
    Could give us more detail on your 2008 335i? I am thinking about buying the same car near Chicago. You can also email me at chungkyu82@yahoo.com
  • carnut66carnut66 Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I am looking to purchase a 6speed 335xi - here's the initial offer from a dealer it is a BMW executive car- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2008 335xi 6 speed
    6500 miles
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Sport Package (with the 17” wheels and all-season tires)
    Comfort Access
    Park Distance Control (rear)
    Navigation System
    Satellite (Sirius) Radio

In service date - 11/7/09
    BMW CPO - 6 years 100k miles from above date

Price before taxes - $ 40,000

Any opinions on the deal would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    You didn't list the exact options the 335 CPO has.

currently 2009 BMW has $3,000 marketing support till 5/31/2009 for 335i, 335d, 335xi ! and $1,500 finance cash bonus!
  • carleasercarleaser Member Posts: 8
    Are people able to obtain a purchase price (or cap cost for leasing) of under the invoice for 335i coupes and sedans? If so, how much under invoice have people gotten? I'm trying to gauge how much I can anticipate being able to bargain. Since BMW raised their prices, I'm thinking it might be possible to bargain more...

Thanks for any info on this!
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    Currently I own a 2002 325i 4DR Sedan that I love. However, when I brought my car in for service a few months ago I was given a 335xi loaner that I really liked alot. It was black on black with an automatic, comfort access, & heated seats.

I would love a 335i coupe, but living in NYC I think the jump from the 328i coupe to the 335i is a waste of money. I would be looking for leather, premium package, heated seats (or cold weather package), upgraded sound system, xenon headlamps, & comfort access. (I may be able to live without the upgraded sound system)

Could anyone tell me how much I should be expecting to pay a month in a guess-estimate range on a 3 year lease/10k miles a year?

Also what do you think I should do with my 2002 325i with about 46,000 miles on it? Should I trade it in, or try to sell it privately?
    Also does anyone if there are any deals out there being cut on the new 2009 M3's, particluarly the hard-top convertible?

Purchase & lease or are they pushing 1 more?
    $12,000 of the M3 convertible only if your purchase it?

A 335i, bought from an auction, with no paper work. My instinct says keep looking. How do you know the car doesn't really have 40k, 50k, 60k miles on it & they turned it back? I'm not familiar with cars bought at auctions, but I guess you may want to verify he holds the true title to the car also.
  • steelersfan97steelersfan97 Member Posts: 1
    Getting ready to turn in current car and lease an '09 328i. Dealing with United BMW in Atlanta area.

Options are:

Steptronic Automatic Transmission
    17" V-spoke wheels
    Heated front seats
    Nav system
    HD radio
    Satellie radio
    Premium hi-fi Logic 7 stereo system
    Ipod and USB adapter
    Premium package

Edmunds calculates invoice price to be $40,880 and I offered $41,280 and I intend to negotiate up from the invoice price and am comfortable with that.

I could use help with the financing numbers in regards to the MF and residual
    amounts.

They are offering $43,300
    MF = .00145
    Residual is 64% on 24 month lease and 57% on 36 month lease
    $1000 down
    Lease payments are $795 on 24 month and $649 on 36 month
    15k miles per year

Is this a good deal even if I take their price, which I do not intend to do. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    I went with my friend who I was visiting in Middletown, RI to buy a new 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i and was pleasantly surprised with the people at BMW of Newport . They were very helpful and informative and we got a special internet price of $38,169.00 since we checked their website before we went down to the dealership!
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    I got curious about the pricing on the same 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i sedan near my area in Torrance, CA and found that South Bay BMW has a really nice internet price of $35,750.00!! Looks like you might be getting a little ripped off over there in Atlanta!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    South Bay BMW sells about 450 cars per month... Plus, they probably have a dozen other BMW dealerships within 40 miles of them.

Trying to compare prices on the other side of the country might be a stretch....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator