Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cyparissuscyparissus Member Posts: 2
    now, i'm seriously considering about purchasing or leasing 2009 328i convertible.
    But, the thing is I have totally no idea which one is better.
    Can somebody give me a bottom line?
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    That's a good point...I wasn't really considering the relative sizes of the dealerships as far as their ability to offer better discounts on certain vehicles..
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    It probably just depends on how long you plan to have the vehicle, and what the resale price of the car will be at the time you get tired of it and want a new one haha. So if you only want it for a couple of years, try some sort of lease to own option where you can opt to buy the vehicle after the leasing period is up, or just move on to something else that's hot and new. Many of dealers are working out finance plans because they're desperate to be moving cars off the lots at all. Apparently, like that one guy said, there are some dealerships that are doing pretty well and you might try them to find the best deals... like South Bay BMW if you live near Los Angeles.
  • mcb345mcb345 Member Posts: 32
    I've been looking in to Swapalease.com for a 1 year old 328i and have noticed I can get something decent for under $400 a month. If I were to walk in to the dealership and find a brand new or demo/test driven low mileage 2008 328 with 10-12k/year is there any possibility of hitting this price of $400 with no down payment like Swapalease? Any advice would be great as I'm new to this. Thanks.
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    Please no flame.

I am considering purchasing either and S5 or 335 convertible. Both are around 60K loaded. Both are very nice rides. The S5 is bigger, faster and perhaps safer (no safety data available). The 335 is a beautiful car and has 4 years routine maintenance and better gas mileage (yes, this still means something to me). I can probably get a better deal on the 335 as the S5 is a bit scarcer.

Which of the two would you go for and why?

Thanks
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    The 335 is a car you can get at any dealer. An S5 is a car you must order [unless you get lucky and someone pulled out on their order car]

An S5 order is 8-12 months. The 335 is quicker around the track, the S5 is more of a grand touring car.

There are no "deals" on the S5, the deal is you get one.

how much do you value driving dynamics vs beauty, exsclusivity? That's what it come down to IMO.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    neither

I'd get a CPO'd Cayman S. I'm not in to big overweight coupes, although the S5 is beautiful.
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    The S5 is a gorgeous car. Thats a tough choice. If I was you honestly I would look to get a great deal on a new convertible M3 or maybe one with only a few thousand miles on it. Loaded its probably a low to mid 70s car. I seen a posting of a dealer offering $12k off, so that could bring you back to the 60s. I have driven the 335i, the coupe not the convertible & its great needless to say, but I have never driven an S5. Like you mentioned you do get a car that not alot of people have, but I think over time that will also change as Audi will be forced to eventually start cutting deals. My uncle looked at one a short time after it was released and the dealer wanted something about 1,200 a month on a lease for the S5.
  • lisarob01lisarob01 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Crimson Red 328i Convertible from North County BMW in Oceanside Ca. They had several colors available with different packages ranging in MSRP from 50250.00 56000.00 and some change. The MSRP was 50250.00 and paid $47780.00 ust shy of 2500.00 off msrp, plus the 328i convertable is now available at 0.9% for 60 months which saves a couple thousand in interest from the previous 2.9% for 60 months. Make sure you get the convienace package it includes upgraded leather, BMW assist for 4 years at no extra charge, Blue tooth with voice recognition and several other options that can be separate options. If you want the 18 inch rims vice the 17 inch and a sports tuned suspension you will want to get one that has the sports package. However the 2009 328i Convertible is a sweet machine, I am totaly impressed with its style, power, handling and electronics that makes this BMW a fun experience to drive.
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    I need the back seat for the kids
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Go with swapalease. You can get a great deal as many people are in over their heads AND if the market is still depressed when the lease is up then BMWFS will negotiate a generous buyout. It's a win-win for you.
    335i. Better handling, better performing, more room, MUCH better warranty, much better dealer service. RWD. Better balance.

The S5 is gorgeous. That's all that I can say positive about it. It's pretty.

FWIW, we currently own an Audi and a 335i. This is my 4th BMW product in 7 years and I look forward to driving my 335i. Get a used CPO 335i and you're really getting a deal - like 40-50% off MSRP.
    I build a 328i on bmwusa came in at 43k, than I look for CPOs & found a 2007 328xi w/ premium, cold weather, sprots, auto trans, navi, comfort access & about 20k mi askin 35k on a 36 month 10k a mi lease the CPO is about 700 a month.. I don't understand why leaseing a CPO is so high?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The CPO leases aren't supported by BMWFS... but, there are purchase incentives...

Also, most CPO units have dollar-based residuals... If you are paying a premium for a highly optioned car, it probably has the same residual as the stripper model... That can make your lease payment hundreds per month higher..

I've yet to see a good CPO lease from BMW, unless the car is new enough to qualify for the current new car rates...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• greeneyespsugreeneyespsu Member Posts: 139
    I could be way off, but does it have something to do with the fact that the car has already been registered to someone else? When I was looking for a new car I was considering a well-optioned CPO 2008 128i over the brand new basically stock 2009 128i and the rate on the CPO was through the roof -- the few salesmen I was working with said it was because it was already registered previously. I don't think they were BSing me because they were trying their damnedest to sell me a car, literally running through every new and CPO on the lot trying to find what I wanted and constantly calling asking me to come in and letting me know what they were getting in.
  • kad153kad153 Member Posts: 22
    So, in a current BMW 330xi 36-month lease that is over around September, and considering new vehicles / leases. Have a few options:

1 - Buy out my existing 2006 bmw 330xi? Has about 20k miles on it at the moment - I'm expecting less than 25k come September. My car lease was originally set based on a 43595 msrp and 63% residual - how negotiable is BMWFS?

2 - Lease or buy a new BMW - I was looking at either the 335xi or the 535xi. What marketing support / dealer incentive programs are currently out there? How much do I get for re buying or leasing another bmw (is there some kind of loyalty program)? If I lease, what are current residuals and money factors on this car by the way? If I buy, any specials on apr?

3 - Go with another car altogether - maybe an infinity g37 or acura tl. My current payment is low 500s per month (nothing down) - I'd love this to be low 400s. any thoughts?

Sorry for so may questions. Thanks to anyone that helps!
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I have a 2006 330xi at 66k miles now. (only has steering column replaced because it was locking)

You drive so few miles, you can consider the extended warranty to 6 yrs / 100k miles. Edmund has incentive list, $3k for 335xi none for 535xi. You can check for updates each month. However if you want low 400s forget about any new 335/535/G37.

Did you get the 10k/year lease? You are under miles by a lot, if you do not buy it out, you lose all those miles! I think your best choice is to buy it out. Research market place to see what your 330xi with 25k sells for (Bluebook or real market place).
  • jasonbournejasonbourne Member Posts: 3
    I paid $22000 + Tax and Doc Fees

2007 328i with Auto Transmission
    44K Miles
    Black
    Certified Pre Owned
    No other additions.

How did I do? :confuse:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Not bad!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ladeleladele Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a '06 330i CPO.

It has the premium package, the sport package, navigation, bluetooth, and satellite radio. It has 23, 581 miles. CPO warranty expires Nov. 28, 2011.

The car is listed at $28,995. What is a fair price for the car? This appears to be lower than the Edmunds TMV. Any help would be appreciated!
  • gluckgluck Member Posts: 23
    Look at Edmunds' Trade-in value - that's about a fair price for a CPO car.
    KBB is on crack. Seriously, cars are depreciating so rapidly in this market that Edmunds (who is usually pretty good) and KBB (always high) can't keep up.

When I bought my used CPO 335i in February Edmunds listed the trade-in value above what I paid. KBB wasn't even on the same planet. Edmunds STILL lists my car's trade-in value at more than I paid (that's with 3k more miles on the car)! They list the CPO price at 7k+ more than my purchase price.

At the end of the day, just lowball the dealer to the high heavens. You have nothing to lose. Yes BMW is selling many used cars, but that doesn't change the fact they're hungry to sell.
  • jasonbournejasonbourne Member Posts: 3
    I think you nailed it to the point.
    In this market KBB and Edmunds values are junk.... I relied totally on old school calculations, I think I failed.... :mad:
    Found a CPO 2007 328i

Black Saphhire Metallic
    Gray Dakota Leather
    37,880 Miles

Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Steptronic Automatic Transmission
    Park Distance Control
    Navigation System

List Price: $23k
  • sw113sw113 Member Posts: 6
    I've never owned a BMW before and I need some second opinions. I'd like to get a manual 3 series. I'm only able to look at used 2004 or older because of price.

I've got a 2004 325xi with 52,000 miles on it. Basic - not even power seats. It was listed at $16,000. I've gotten the guy down to $14,000 (plus D&H and tax). It's through an auto broker in Cherry Creek, CO.

The other car is a 2002 330xi with 85,000. This car has integrated radar, ipod, harmon kardon, carbon fiber dash inlay, heated power memory seats, auto dimming mirrors, and M steering wheel. This guy wants $13,000 (plus D&H and tax). This car is through an auto broker too.

Any advice if either of these cars are a good deal or not? Which car would you recommend? Thanks for helping out a newbie!
    bmwusa.com CPO
    2004 325xi
    52,384 miles
    Jet Black on Black Leatherette
    Cold Weather Package
    & Moonroof
    Manual Trans
    Price: 18,333

Based on that asking price, 16k is probably a fair starting point. When I bought my CPO BMW 3 & a half years ago the sales man said basically whatever price you see take 2k off of it right off the top immediately than we go from there. Also I am in NYC so the volume is probably much greater here than in other dealerships which might explain that.
    Neither of these cars are CPO. Could that adjust the starting price down from $18,xxx (for the CPO you mentioned) to $16,xxx (for these used non CPO)?

I'm trying to understand if $14,000 is a deal worth moving on or if I should wait for something more/better?

If anybody can weigh in on which of my two choices is "better" I'd appreciate that. I don't know if newer/lower miles is better than older/more features. I'm not looking for bells and whistles on the car. Heated seats and premium sound don't matter much to me. Just a fun, reliable manual that can last me for another 6 years.
    CPO cars are only warranted for up to six years from the original in-service date...

So, for the age and price range you are shopping, you won't find a CPO from a dealer.... If you find an '03 or '04 from a private seller, who purchased it CPO, then you would receive the remaining warranty, though that would likely be 1 year or less at this point.

Used 3-series that are six or more years old are all about condition and maintenance. You want to find one that's been well taken care of, with extensive maintenance records. Finding that car will be more important than the options or mileage..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What are your thoughts about buying a CPO now with navigation if you plan to keep the car for a long period of time, after the warranty expires? Is it too risky because if something goes wrong with the iDrive it could be very expensive to bring it in for repairs? Are you better stay away from navigation/iDrive if you are purchasing the BMW to keep for a long period of time?
    Cost is the major issue. This is our second car and I want to keep cost low. Frankly, a car is not an asset and as much as I want to have the fun of driving, I'm trying to get a good, fun, yet reliable car. I'm hoping a used BMW 3 series can do it.

I do a lot of my own repairs (oil, brakes, general engine), but electronic issues are pretty much beyond the home garage repair.

I offered $13,000 on the 04 325xi with 50K on it. The guy hasn't responded to me. I'm thinking that means no deal?!

Now I'm considering an 01 330xi with 94K on it. However, the engine was replaced and only has about 50K on it (thermostat failure cause overheat and engine ruin). He also replaced the front control arms and bushings as well as the belts are new. The engine was also resealed for some small oil leaks.

Thoughts?
  • gluckgluck Member Posts: 23
    I am looking for a 3 series 328 with very low mileage. I recently test drove a CPO - 2007 328 with 14K and I felt that the steering was very hard/heavy. The power was alright nothing special. I drive a lexus ES350 and wasn't very impressed. My question to all of you is - Is this normal for a BMW to be heavy? I plan to test drive a different car. Also should be I be looking for a CPO or from a private seller? The 2007 328's with less than 20K miles are going for close to 27K. How much low should I go?
    2007 328i CPO - lLook at trade-in value - and that's the selling price goal for a CPO.

A 2007 will probably be due for tires - that's a big CPO advantage right there as they'll replace the tires. Additionally, the longer warranty coverage adds some peace of mind. And BMW won't sell a car as CPO if it's been in an accident. Essentially a CPO'd BMW is going to be in good shape and have an extended warranty. If you are a BMWCCA member you'll also get a $500 rebate on CPO'd cars. Finally, you can often get better financing deals on CPOs.

Yes, all BMWs with ZSP (sport) will feel like the steering is heavy at slow speeds. At higher speeds throttle inputs do a better job of steering the car in corners.
  • beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    I just ordered an 09' 328 convertible and wanted to know if it is worth getting the $5 a month tire insurance? Can these tires be fixed by BMW or another dealer? I checked into switching them out with non-run flats but BMW said little spare wont fit in trunk and you have to carry jack and 4-way lug wrench in trunk. Is there a spot to even put the jack under the car to jack it up & can you use 89 octane gasoline. Thanks for your help and answers.
    1. You can use go flats and just get a AAA card. No sense in carrying a spare. Never have with any of my cars I switched to go flats. Also BMW's 17s aren't that bad compared to the 18s.

$5 a month isn't worth it unless you live in an area with horrid roads. If you have roads that awful, consider going with it as i know some have mentioned bent/cracked rims as RFTs do not give over poor pavement.

Yes you can put a spare and jack in the trunk but that seems like an awful waste of space for what might happen.

2. Why buy a 40k car and then use cheap gasoline? If you believe the extra $2-3 a week is going to hurt you financially, maybe you should consider holding off on the purchase for awhile?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'd look at RWD 3ers. If you need all-weather capability just buy a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gopropakgopropak Member Posts: 3
    I have located the 335i sedan that matches the exact specs I am looking for. Here it is:
    2009 335i Sedan
    Cold Weather
    Premium
    Sport
    STEPTRONIC Auto
    nav
    iPod/USB
    Destination

MSRP $51000 (+TTL $2083)
    Invoice $46845 (+TTL $2083)

They offered : $48785 ($1940 over invoice)
    I countered with $47000 before TTL which they balked at.
    They threw in a $449 "processing fee" with the TTL. Can I get them to drop that?

The BMWFS rate quoted was 3.9% and a $1500 rebate which will go towards a down payment.

Is this even close to a good deal?
    Thanks!
  • beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for replying back to me. What are go flats and where do you get them? Can you explain the AAA card program. Thanks for your time.
    $449 processing fee? Just add that to the selling price..

So, that puts them $2400 over invoice, including the fee.. That looks like about $1000 too high, assuming you get the $1500 credit.. So, somewhere close to halfway between your numbers would be fair... or, a little closer to your number, than theirs...

Also, did they tell you that the rebate is $3000 instead of $1500, if you use your own financing? (Actually, I think it's dealer cash). So, you can get 3.9% on your own (PenFed?), then you can save even more.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Host

How much should I expect my monthly payment to be around on a 36 month lease @ 10k miles a year?

328i Coupe
    Black on Black Leather
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Comfort Access
    What's the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

MSRP 43,950
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Use carsdirect.com for your zip code, I was able to come up with a price that's $332 over invoice. It's not all that clear from Edmund's incentive, but it would seem that it's a total of $4,500 incentive ($3,000 + $1,500 if you finance through BMWFS)
    Go flats = normal tires.

AAA = come out and slap your tire on your car for you on the off chance you get a flat tire.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I'm a bit confused.

Regarding the 2009 335i sedan:

1. if I want to buy new and finance at 3.9% through BMWFS, can I get both the $3000 cash to dealer marketing support and $1500 cash to customer taken off the price?

2. If I lease instead of buy, which of the above incentives, if any, can I expect to be taken off the the price?

The car has a MSRP=$46050, invoice=$42435, Edmunds TMV=$41783.

Thanks.

hpowders
    If you take the 3.9% from BMWFS, then you get $1500...

If you pay cash or finance elsewhere, you get $3000..

It's either/or..

I'll have to check on leases...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I see.

Thank you very much! :)
    Host

How much should I expect my monthly payment to be around on a 36 month lease 10k miles a year?

MSRP 43,950

328i Coupe
    Black on Black Leather
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Comfort Access
  • ddw1ddw1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm confused. I was at a BMW dealer earlier this month and was told it was 0.9% financing on a 335i. (and I believe this was with them making the first two payments as well) Is this completely false? I'm in southern Cal and we were definitely talking about a 335, not a 328.