Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thisisnutsthisisnuts Member Posts: 15
    Here's one for ya, can someone get a deal on a barebones 525i for around $45,000?
  • mbe320sembe320se Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,
    I am planning to buy a 530xi through European Delivery program and am wondering what kind of price to pay over the ED invoice. My US INVOICE price with options is:
    Base 42225
    6-speed steptronic 1210
    Cold weather package 685
    Power rear/side sunshade 525
    Destination 695

Total US invoice is $45340.
    European invoice is 7% less = $42215 (7% less + dest $695).
    I would appreciate input from anyone having gone the european delivery route and some idea of how much over nvoice a dealer may be willing to take. I am in the NJ/tri-state area. Thanks.
  • airbornempairbornemp Member Posts: 5
    Just looking for some advice on a deal through the military sales program for those of us deployed to Iraq. Listed below is the total price delivered from the factory in Germany to Honolulu, Hawaii (not including T&L):

2007 BMW 525i
    -STEP TRONIC transmission
    -Premium Package
    -Cold Weather Package
    -Navigation
    -Sat Radio

Total price delivered is $46,720. This price apprears to be right around invoice. To you "professionals" out there, how does this look? Should I take it? I really appreciate any advice.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Invoice $46,790 (including destination charge, no MACO). That is a good deal if it is the selling price plus T&L. BTW, why would you select Cold Weather Package in Hawaii?

I suggest getting the sport package instead. Believe me the ride is not as bad as some say and the car with 18 inch rims looks great along with the 20 way comfort seats. Well worth the money.
  • akende1akende1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello it is me again. Just fishing for some feedback on my initial post question: #2410 DEAL or NO DEAL! Any help would be appreciated. :-)

Thanks
    That is $1840 over invoice. I think it is a little high, especially the dealer doc fee of $200+. I say anywhere from $800-$1000 over would be a good deal and doc fees I say should be no more than $50. At least that is what I paid.

I hope this helps.
  • dallencatdallencat Member Posts: 28
    Agree w/low ball 88. I paid $1080 over invoice incl doc fees. Keep working it.
  • airbornempairbornemp Member Posts: 5
    The price includes everything but the T&L, which in Hawaii is 4.2%. That being said, is it a good deal? Most seem to be paying $1,000-$2,000 over invoice. I am getting the cold weather package because we will only be in Hawaii for about another 18 months...

Thanks again for the help and advice.
    WOW!!! $800-$1080 over invoice is definitely going to be a challenge down here in Florida. I'm up for the battle. Now, can those numbers be reached for a car that must be custom ordered? Also, the initial invoice quoted was incorrect. It is $51,210 not $50,760(I left out the cost of the dealer installed CD changer $450 roughly). Just to be clear, you are landing deals of $800-1080 over invoice and that includes all dealer fees?
    If so, you are saying that I should land a deal of roughly: If the total invoice(dest./MACO/training) is $51,210, & doc. fee $289; $52,290 ($1080 over invoice)needs to be my total before tax/tag/title right?

Let the battle begin.

Thanks for the advice,
    Akende-1
  • dallencatdallencat Member Posts: 28
    Yep, before TTL and in that range. My car was custom ordered at $1080 over invoice.
  • flatout18flatout18 Member Posts: 9
    Akende1,

I think deals in south Florida are a bit tougher to come by. I leased a 530 with a cap cost of $1500 over invoice(inlcudes $200 mark up on acqusition fee and $500 dealer fee). Not great but fair. Could I have negotiated a couple of hunderd bucks less, probably. However, I don't think I would have ever walked out of there for $1,000 over.
    I ordered my vehicle with the color and options I wanted.

My deal was:

Invoice price (including destination) + $400 dealer profit + $400 MACO + $45 doc fees + tax + license.

You may have to go out of State if that kind of deal is not possible in Florida.
    Flatout,

You are correct. It is difficult striking a good/fair deal in Florida, especially S. Florida. I mean, you can set up a great deal that the dealer can walk away with around 1000-$1500, and many of them still refuse to accept. It is a Challenge!!!

Akende1
    Low_Ball_88,

?, how did you eliminate dealer fees? Are dealer fees & dealer prep. fees the same thing? (Just a play of terms)

At what point in the negotiation process, is it the very last chance to strike a better deal?

Akende1
    Adende1,

Not sure what you mean by dealer fees? MACO is for advertising and profit is profit. Why would anyone pay for anything else? Just treat dealer fees & prep. fees as profit. Who really care what those fees are. I simply ask for selling price plus tax, license and doc fees. Just as long as you know the invoice price, then negotiate from that point.

For me, I sent out a few e-mails for quotes and from the help of some very nice people on this forum, I was able to finalize my deal with a follow-up phone call to match or beat the lowest price from the closest dealer to me.

That was the best and easiest buying experience I ever had and I get to order my vehicle. Can't ask for much more.

Good Luck to you.
  • brian500brian500 Member Posts: 10
    There are some very knowledgeable people here so I thought you may be able to help me with my decision. I bought a Range Rover Supercharged Sport after reading that forum and it really helped.

Once I add up all the options on a 550… I get to over 70k… I figure I can get a slightly used 06 M5 for mid to low 80k. ..say with 5k miles.

Thoughts?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Thought: You don't have to put every option on the car...

You can get a nicely equipped 550i for around $62K-$64K MSRP.. a selling price of $60K even..

That is a long way from $85K for a used M5..

Of course, if you have $85K to spend, and really want an M5 instead of a 550i.. then, sure... a much better deal..... go get it now.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Since the Prem. Sound option is no longer availabe w/ the 6 disc changer; and Logic 7 pkg definitely does not incude the 6 disc changer.....does anybody have an idea of the cost of the 6 disc changer? (that now must be dealer installed) :(

Thanks,
    Akende1
    Forget about the 6 disc changer. Don't waste your money. The 07's has the capability of playing mp3 CD which could hold hundreds of songs. Also, the Aux input could play your mp3 player (ipod).
    I noticed that feature. I have yet to dive into the mp3(ipod) craze. I guess I need to get it together!!! Will the mp3 be fully controlable via the car's normal audio controls? (i.e. voice activated, steering wheel controls) I will look more into the feature, and investing in a mp3 player. (mp3 CD :confuse: )

Akende1
    Hello All,

Thanks for all the help/input provided; I am near the end of my journey of becoming a BMW 5-series owner. I just have one last question: Are dealer document fees negoitiable? If so, what is reasonable? It seems that every dealer has its own cost for document fees.

Low_ball_88, thanks for your feedback, it has helped tremendously. :D

Thanks,
    Akende1
  • yurygyuryg Member Posts: 15
    I have '06 530xi w/premium stereo which includes a 6 disk changer. The original single disk plays MP3 disks with FULL compatibility with normal audio controls. It is actually better than regular CDs because MP3's display artist/song name on the screen. Regular CD (either in disk or in changer) do not. The MP3 disk stores about as much music as all 6 "regular" CDs in the changer. It is also capable of displaying menus and sub menus (eg you can have Pink Floyd on "top" menu, then "Wall", "Other Side of the Moon", etc, on the next level, and finally the songs on the final level). My next BMW will be without the totally useless CD changer. Not only is CD changer slow to change and to load, it also rejects about 40% of my burned CD's, which means normally only 3-4 CDs out of 6 in changer can be played. The single CD player plays them without problems.
  • skeet25skeet25 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I found an '02 540 with 20K miles. The dealer (non-BMW) obtained it as a lease return, and is asking $33K. My main concern is that it is not CPO, and has no factory warranty. He offered to sell a 3yr/100k extended warranty for $2.4K.
    What can I do to mitigate my risks in this deal? How can I tell if these were 'hard' miles...

On the other end of the mileage spectrum, I found an '02 540 with 52K miles from a BMW dealer, and this one is CPO, which adds 2 years to the already expired factory warranty. This one can be had for $27.5K

Which of these 2 should I focus on?

Thanks.
  • buzz35buzz35 Member Posts: 6
    Your best bet is to go to Germany on R&R perferably the Hessen area(Frankfurt) and see one of the BMW US Auto Sales people the deal you will get there will beat anything you find in the states plus most will throw in shipping. Right now 37,300 is the starting price for a 525i, 39,200 for a 525xi, and 41,000 for the 530i. I am in Iraq too and that is the route I took last year down here and got a 06' 525xi with prm pkg,nav,comfort access,sun shades,sports pkg, steptronic,park distance for 46,500 out the door. Now I don't pay the tax because I lived in Germany but that was still better than anything out there at the time. I am back in Iraq and I just bought the 328i 07' on leave I pick it up 1 Nov and it has sports pkg, comfort access, steptronic and I got it for 29,900 and I don't believe anyone stateside will match that. Anyone out there seen a better deal than that yet?
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I read with interest you comment about the 6-disc CD changer no longer available with the premium sound system. I ordered by 07 530 with premium sound, and it did come with the 6-disc CD changer. Is this something new that they have changed?

Thanks for your prompt response
    Yes, it is new for BMW. They no longer offer the premium sound package (1800MSRP) that included the logic 7 and the 6 disc changer. Now they offer the Logic 7 package (1200MSRP) that does not include the 6 disc changer. What it does offer is a interface(cradle inside of glove box) that allows you to connect an IPOD to the audio system or the dealer can later install the 6 disc changer at particular cost. I believe this change occurred around July or August.
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi guys,

Towards the end of last year, BMW offered sales tax credit to new buyers. Depending on the state, one could save 6.25% without any negociation. Does anyone knows if this program will be offered this year? I have forgot the months, I would appreciate if someone can tell what month they ran this promotion. Thanks.

fm
  • jimboinlajimboinla Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    What a great board. Great comments.
    From what I've read, it sounds like I've got a good "sale price" but not a good lease rate. But it would be great for someone to help clue me in before I buy....

2007 530i Sport
    15,000 miles per year
    36 month lease
    MSRP: $57,070
    Residual: 60% = $34,242
    Sale price: $53,930
    Base pmt: $701.19 (+tax 57.85)

These numbers were shown as well
    "LSE FCT 0.1750" Due FLSR: 52,337 gp+pac+inc: 51,936

Drive off: 1993.60 (1st month 759.04 + 449.75 lic, + 725 BNK + 28 DMV

Thanks for any help.
    Are you sure that the sale price is $800 over invoice? It seems like the sales price includes a $400 MACO. You are actually paying $1,200 over invoice. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I think you should ask this question on the lease forum since the host there recently say that you should pay $0 at drive off. Go to that forum and check it out.
  • jimboinlajimboinla Member Posts: 3
    You are very right - or close.....
    the $53,885 includes: $380 MACO, $45 Opt TTL, $180 Training - not sure who's getting training......
  • mbarnes73mbarnes73 Member Posts: 1
    Until now, my BMW buying experience had been perfect. I purchased my 2003 BMW in San Diego at Harloff BMW.. They were above board and can not say enough great things about my experience. I never once felt like i was getting a bad deal.
    Now i am looking to sell my 2003 and purchase/possibly lease a 2007 5 series. In my 2 trips to my sacramento area bmw dealer, i feel like i am getting ripped off. I am finding that sacramento just doenst have the competition, the inventory and treats their customers poorly.
    The dealership i went to had 1 of each 5 series on the lot, and that was it!!!So they were really pushing the ones on the lot, even if it wasnt exactly what you wanted. Then to make matters worse, they wouldnt negotiate off of the invoice only off of msrp... which was like pulling teeth. Also, they wouldnt negotiate until they new if i was going to go lease or purchase. This shouldnt matter, and didnt with my 2003. I hate the game of 'how much do you want to spend each month'... it doesnt matter-- what is the bottom line on the offer and that should be it.
    My question is-- should i just give up on sacramento bmw dealers and go back to sd? has anyone had a good experience just doing the negotiation and purchase via the internet.
    I would really like to get my 530xi but i am soo frustrated with my preview of dealers out here... i w :mad: ould love some insight/guidance on my next best steps to getting my car i want and not feeling like ive been 'raped'.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I could use some help - a dealer has a 2006 5-series wagon demo with 5K miles (driven by dealership owner for a few months); MSRP was about $56K, invoice about $52K; salesman said they want to move it..."make an offer". I was not really in the market for the wagon, but it is pretty cool in person; I haven't driven it yet, so I don't know how it compares to the sedan. Any educated opinions on how low I could go? Thanks
    I know exactly what you mean. Been through that frustration before at the dealerships you mentioned. Buy yours in the Bay Area and you will find that they will cut you a deal that you would not believe. When you are the only game in town, why deal. That is their mentality. They have gotten the town thinking that you have to pay msrp or forget about it. Go internet sales and only go into the dealership when you want to test drive. I have found that you will get a better deal if you order a vehicle versus buying one on the lot. Good luck!
  • barbs4545barbs4545 Member Posts: 11
    hi
    i was interested where you ordered your BMW. You have ordered the exact car that I want and have been dealing with the fleet manager and some other dealers in the bay area. Where did you end up buying your car and what was the price out the door? Thanks so much for your help.
    I just wanted to say that Berkeley would not match the low price I got from 3 other dealers in the bay area. so i did not want to deal with them.

i thought i talked with the fleet manager but not sure.
    he basically told me to take the deal from the other dealership. LOL
    What kind of deal was the others offering? and where? I am very surprised that Berkeley did not match.

Could it be that you are trying to buy a car on the lot. You get a better deal ordering the vehicle since the dealer is just a pass through and do not have to deal with inventory.
  • houstonbuyerhoustonbuyer Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that some lucky folks got deals at a $1000 over dealer invoice. At the same time, it appears that you cannot get such deals in all markets (I saw Florida & Dallas in other postings).

I am looking for how much to expect in the Houston market. I am interested in a 2007 525i w/ premium + automatic. MSRP is $47,470 and Edmunds dealier price is $43,925 (including destination fees). The best deal I have so far is $46,270 (which is $2,345 over invoice), though below the Edmunds True Market Value....
  • carnutfancarnutfan Member Posts: 19
    my MF was .00010 after a little pushing. '07 530i 15k/36 mo. with MSRP of 56,500 and cap cost of 53600 with 2625 drive off and payment of 691 including taxes.
    Okay, after months and months of talking to every BMW dealership in Calif. I finally ordered my new BMW530i 2007 last week from the Fremont Dealership. It was a great deal.
    I got Premium pkg, Sport Pkg, Heated Front seats, folded down back seat, Navigation, Metallic Black exterior, black interior and tax, everything OUT THE DOOR FOR 58,247.00 INCLUDING CALIF. TAX AND ALL FEES. I ordered this car to be built in Germany and will receive it in December. If you want a great experience buying a BMW go to the Fremont Dealership
  • mukvijmukvij Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,

1. I am able to get a 2006 BMW 525i with about 10000 miles on it for 40K. Worth it? It has premium package, automatic transmission, heated seats.

2. I hear early 2006 models have a Aluminum Block engine instead of Aluminum Megnisium. Does that make a lot of difference?

3. My dealer confirmed that in 2008 they will have 528i. Should I worry too much about my car depreciation thinking about that?
    Glad you thought it was a good deal. Here is the breakdown of your deal.

MSRP 55,570
    Invoice 51,290
    Tax + license = 4,780

OTD = 58,247
    TTL = 4,780
    Purchase price = 53,467

So it looks like you paid $2177 over invoice. Are you sure you didn't forget to include the automatic steptronics transmission. Then it would have been a decent deal. In the Bay Area, you should only be paying $1000 over invoice and that includes the MACO.

If you have not already put down a deposit, I would shop around and order another vehicle elsewhere.
    My suggestion is to buy a oneway ticket and fly to California (LA or Bay Area) and drive your car back. Is it worth saving $1500? Yes, make it a car purchase/vacation.

You are not buying a used car so it really doesn't matter to see it first. Just order one.

It is a beautiful drive down the California coast. BTW you will enjoy the twisty roads in your new BMW.
    Yes I did order the automatic pkg which would up the price. The way I figured it is the dealer marked it up 900 over the invoice. No one else in the bay area except for 2 other dealerships came close to that price. I know I got a great deal. So anyone from out of state should come to Calif. and buy at the Fremont Dealership. Believe me I don't work for them or anything.........but I was getting very frustrated with the dealerships in the bay area and finally found one that was extremely honest and gave me a great deal on my new car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    One problem.... you can't take delivery in California without paying California sales tax..

Of course, if the dealer will drive it to Nevada...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good for you Barbs!

That is a good deal. The deal I got last May for an 07 530 was slightly better with only 2 e-mails and 2 phone calls and the deal was done. It is definitely cheaper to order a vehicle since it is only a pass through for the dealer, no inventory to deal with. You get a good deal and they make money without doing much. It is a win-win.
  • drakejdrakej Member Posts: 8
    Barbs, can you tell me what the price of the car was before tax and fees. I am looking to get almost the exact same car. Thanks.
    I believe before taxes it was 53,430. I would have to search for the paperwork. But since the tax is 8.25% I believe that included the fees also. Let me know if you need any more info. Pleasanton, and Peter Pan BMW were also the same Price.

Hope that info. helps you.
  • mark1234mark1234 Member Posts: 7
    Hey folks,
    Just ordered a 530XI last week. I remember seeing an address for a website that allows you to track the car as it is being manufactured and/or shipped. Does anyone have that?

Thanks,
    mark1234
  • geek4hiregeek4hire Member Posts: 10
    I'm offered from Thompson BMW in Doylestown, PA:
    07 525i

Premium & Cold pkgs
    Comfort seats
    Navigation
    Auto Transmission

Price: $50,100
    Lease payment: $659 (includes tax & 7 security deposits)

Seems like the price isn't discounted much off the MSRP.

Acquisition Fee: $625
  • 0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    I just recently worked on a lease and I may have done my math wrong, but the cost of the additional security deposits far outweighs the decrease in payments. You could park the extra money in a CD and get 5% as opposed to lowering your payment 1%.

Good luck.