Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Expand your search via email. NJ is is close enough to Phila. and NYC to find a dealer who is dealing. You might save thousands for a few hours drive.
  • atodd3atodd3 Member Posts: 4
    Posted this on another forum but doing so here, as well as I'm tyring to gain as much collective wisdom as possible...thanks for your replies.

Looking for some advice and appreciative of your comments...my very faithful 10 yr old Maxima SE with 205k miles on it has, finally, come to the end of its roadlife. Looking for a used entry level luxury...I drive 30k mi per year to and from the office so want something reliable but at same time, something I want to spend time in. Pretty focused on an '06 3series but, in shopping, have come across an '04 525i at a highly rated BMW dealer. Black w/beige leather, manual, prem and cold pkg's, 35k miles...priced at $20,995, have negotiated to $19,995 but hoping I can get it for $19k. Comes w/extended warranty of 100k mi or thru Nov 2011.

I am nervous about lack of awd here in New England...would appreciate thoughts on that, too.

Any/all comments are greatly appreciated as I need to pull the trigger on something this weekend...thanks in advance.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    about the lack of AWD in New England. Get yourself a set of 4 snow tires and you'll tackle that New England winter with no problems. '04 was the first year of the E60 5 series (current body style). The 184hp motor might seem anemic compared to you Maxima's V6.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• argumentatorargumentator Member Posts: 4
    Well I got it from the BMW dealer here in San Mateo, CA. Remember that mine is an 08 model and that rates have increased somewhat in the past month! Best thing to do to get an idea of the best price is to go around to numerous dealers then you'll easily know who is giving you the best deal and the best you can get in your area.
  • rocky725rocky725 Member Posts: 30
    Here's the best offer I got after a month of shopping:

Premium, cold weather, navi, sirius, and ipod adapter. 10K miles / year, 36 months

MSRP 59,670
    Selling Price 56,900
    Sales Tax 2,166
    Acquisition Fee 725
    BMW Rebate (2,500)
    Cap Cost 57,291
    Residual 36,399
    Payment 745

They stuck me with sales tax on the $2,500 rebate at the last second, which was annoying but overall still seemed like a good deal. First month, security, and dmv due at signing.
  • csy8csy8 Member Posts: 2
    I am new at this leasing thing. My 3 year lease on the 06 530i is ending soon so decided to do some research on line. Enjoyed all the messages but have few questions from what I have read online

Why sales tax of 2166? I thought you only pay the sales tax on the portion of the car that you lease which is just part of the monthly payment?

Why is the Cap Cost higher than the Selling price? Shouldn't they be the same?

Thanks
    I questioned them on the sales tax and the response was convoluted but they basically charge sales tax on the sum of the payments. In other words, the sales tax is an iterative calculation that is done by the computer. The way they do it does not appear to be correct but I was able to validate the number using their methodology (within $10) using a financial calc.

The capitalized cost includes all amounts that are being rolled into the lease so unless you prepay the taxes and fees the cap cost will be higher than the selling price.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    the tax on the lease payment varies according to state statue. In NJ, it used to be only on the portion you rent or lease. After that tax mess a few years ago, it became on the whole amount for example.

check the laws in your state.
  • csy8csy8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Can you list some of the fees that are included in the cap cost?
    For my lease it was just the acquisition fee ($725). I'm not sure if you can roll the DMV (registration) fees into the lease but I don't see why not. Keep in mind that in most states you save money on the registration fees if you transfer the plates from your old car.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I'm being offered a nice 2007 5 series out of state (60 miles from my house).
    Does anyone have any experiences buying out of state? What are the advantages, disadvantages. I would have to service the car at one of my local BMW dealers, no question. But if there's a problem with the vehicle, are they going to approach it the same way as a dealer who sold the car?

Please advise, I hate to pass up this opportunity. Also, do sales taxes apply if the car is bought out of state? Years ago, we use to go shopping in NYC because we didnt' have to pay sales tax. I doubt that's the case any longer.

Gardis
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    you pay sales tax at home when you register the vehicle. buying out of state is absolutely no problem.
  • xdcxdc Member Posts: 12
    Gardis:

Got yours? I am considering 2007 530xi with similar package you got. Wondering how was the process of negotiation. How much did you bring the price down?

Thanks!

xdc :confuse:
  • phil_in_socalphil_in_socal Member Posts: 28
    Wow! with today's market, the best you got was a 4.5% off msrp! :confuse:
    Now this is better, 14.5% off msrp. with today's market, 18% to 20% of sticker price as your starting negotiation price is not insane. if you're getting less than 14% off msrp, you're getting jipped!
    Hi xdc,
    No not yet. I have to get the chance to drive 55 miles, not a big deal, but with work and all, plus they don't want to talk on Saturday so that leaves the weekend out.
    I always check the BMWUSA website for inventory, do you? Good luck, I missed out on two cars, someone's buying!!
    I also missed one today. :mad:

I was very close to get 7.7% off MSRP for a 2006 530xi. Somebody from PA (thru internet) is willing to pay $700 more plus shipping from San Diego to there. The person even did not get a chance to look at it.

I became a loser.

XDC
  • cabezonmikecabezonmike Member Posts: 3
    Hoping someone can tell me what they think or where I can improve this lease offer - coming from NJ dealer.

2009 528i
    Premium, cold weather, navi, sirius, and ipod adapter, auto, xenon, fold down rear. 23K miles / year, 36 months

Cap Cost - 51400
    Bank Fee - 925
    Total Cap - 52,325
    Cap Reduction - 2500
    Net Cap - 49,825
    Residual - 27,746

Total Payment - 725.78

MSRP - 54045
    Cap Reduction 2500
    Upfront Sales Tax - 2026
    Luxury Tax - 205
    DMV fee - 254
    State Inspection 7.70
    Advance Payment 725.78
    Other Fee (?) - 195
    MF - .00145
    Total Drive Off - 3422

Thanks for any help!
    23,000 miles per year? That's such an unconventional lease it's hard to compare.
    why in the world are you only asking for 5% off the msrp? makes me think that you work for the mfg or dealer, he! he!

if you're a serious buyer. here's what i'd do.

base cap 45,940 (that's right, 15% off msrp)
    cost added $925 (this is negotiable, don't buy what the dealer tell you)
    current bmw money factor is .0019
    residual for 36 mos is 60%
    no freekin money down!

total drive off (1st month and tax) = $590.33

this is your monthly with tax = $590.33

based on 15K per year. i know you mentioned 23k, so this gives you an idea of what a good eal is based on a 15K.

MSRP 54,045
    total drive off less than $600 (including 1stmonth)
    monthly of $590.33
    15k/yr 36mos lease
    I missed out on a beauty. My fault totally. But car was 50 miles away, I just couldn't get there in time. They lowered the price to $29,500 and the car sold within days. That's where the pricing has to be. I'm still looking............I have one more they're trying to sell me.....it's a 2007 530i, white/black, premium sports and cold. Asking around $30K........car has been on the lot since November, why hasn't it sold?? I'm thinking something is wrong with it, couldn't be such a nice car hasn't sold. It has about 30K miles on it, which is more than I really wanted. I'm trying to stay in the low 20K's for mileage.

How on earth do you buy a car sight unseen, and ship it across the country! I wish I had these people's guts!!
  • cabezonmikecabezonmike Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Phil - first time leasing as you can easily tell so looking for all the advice that can be provided.

Wouldn't or should the residual be lower for 36 mos lease since it is a high mileage lease for 23k/per year?

For the total drive off - it will be tax, first month and dmv fees - is this negotiable from what you are saying?

are you also saying the Mf is off in this deal as well?

Thank you for your time reviewing
  • alexrrt71alexrrt71 Member Posts: 8
    06 530i, 20k miles, cpo, listed at $32,000 with 0% financing.

pls help
  • dmason12dmason12 Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone give me details on current lease programs on a 2009 535i for 36 months? (Money factor, residual for 12K miles per year, and ideas on where they are willing to go on cap cost)

Also, I will be turning in an '06. I know they wive the lease termination fee and new security deposit...but are they waiving a new bank fee or offering to forgive the last 2 payments if you turn in 2 months early? (My current lease is up on 5/20/2009).

Thanks!
    Alex:

With prem. package?
    lowering the residual will bump your cost higher.

drive off = (tax/1st month/dmv fees) + down (cap reduction) + other fees you'd lilke to pay. "other fees you'd like to pay" such as bank fee are negotiable.

mf factor, check my previous post. your cap cost, negotiated price of the car, should be atleast 15% off msrp (due to today's market). it's your money, if you'd like to pay more then do it.

read this to get more leasing advise, that's if you really is a shopper and not someone who works for a dealership, he! he! j/k. you kinda sound ilke you are.

you know that your url and/or ip account can be trace and will be embarrasing for your employer if you are found an employee or affiliated to an auto dealership or manufacturer? posting to this site to give real consumers false info on the current market is against the law!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146090
  • robprivirobprivi Member Posts: 9
    I am not eligible for the loyalty discount. I am trying to lease a 535i with the premium
    package. The msrp is 55K. The best my dealer says he can do is 1450 down 650 per month with tax. Reading the above posts, this does not sound like a good deal. Any help would be appreciated.
  • patellapatella Member Posts: 4
    Hi Guys, Just purchased a year old 528xi what do you guys think of the deal?

2008 528xi
    20k miles
    cold weather, premium, xenon and comfort seats

33750.00 plus ttl..

What do you think?

:)
    That sounds like a very good deal to me. I'm looking at 2007's and they're in the same price range as what you just paid for a 2008. The 2008's are running in the upper $30's.
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    Hi Carman, KYDFX, what do you think of this deal,
    2009 528xi, MSRP 52075
    Selling Price: 47460
    Sales Tax: 1294, Sales tax on cap reduction cost: 186.37
    Cap Cost: 2500 (loyalty) + 162 (didnt realize they took 162 here)

12K miles, 36 months, Monthly with taxes is 530 in NJ.
    Car includes, Premium, Cold Weather and Ipod adapter.
    Initial Title Fees: 20
    Initial Reg Fee: 87
    Acq Fee: 725
    Supp TIltle Fee: 189.84
    Doc Fee: 239 (too high)

Total Fees: 1953.23 including the first month payment.

I thought the fees were higher by roughly 200 bucks? What do you guys think?Also if they are going to use the same plates from my lease returned car, should the fees be less.

Thanks,
  • ntuntu Member Posts: 9
    There seems to be many great deals out there - Here's one I'm considering

$55 OTD , 2008 550i (sport, nav, and a few other small options), 3K miles, one owner

Original MSRP was 70K

Thoughts? Comments? I am also seeing some 2008 brand new with 10K-15K off MSRP
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    If your spending $55k on a car, why not spend it on a new car?

btw, when is the new 5 series coming out?
  • ntuntu Member Posts: 9
    I am also considering a new 535 but like the extra power in the 550i but can't stay in this price range for a new 550i with the options that I want.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Then I guess the 550i is the better deal for you, after all the car is used only 3k,which is nothing.

Any known reason why the owner is selling his brand new car?
  • jkmiecjkmiec Member Posts: 5
    Got a dealer that will do this $859 a month 10k miles 36 months.

2009 535
    Sport
    Premium
    Comfort
    Power Sunshades
    Heated Seats
    Park Distance
    Navigation
    Sirius
    iPod

MSRP is $62,300
    Selling to me for $59,310

From what I can see this is about $500 over invoice which seems reasonable.

I also have $3200 rollover on an X3 that is figured into the deal

$859 / month 36 months Taxes included, Only first payment down.

My issue is that it has the old i drive. Is it likely that doing ED on a new 2010
    with same options and saving the 7% that I will get a better deal?

Thanks
  • woodard1973woodard1973 Member Posts: 9
    Picked up my car yesterday, here is the final deal I got...

MSRP 53,075
    includes, premium, cold weather, comfort access, navigation and ipod
    Cap - 48,100
    BMW Financial cash back (everyone gets this) -$2500
    adjusted cap - $45,600
    58% residual, 0.00175 money factor, 6% maryland taxes,

$699.55 a month, 15k miles per, 36 months

Only first month and $725 security deposit due at signing.

I dont think you can get the car much cheaper. I basically had the same offer from 3 dealers in Maryland and Virginia after several days of haggling. Had one dealer tell me this deal wasn't possible and tried to tell me I was getting a 3 series instead. Had another dealer tell me that I had to pay taxes and was getting screwed when I showed up.

I also got two sweet new BMW keychains.

Got the car from Tisher in Silver Spring....BMW Sterling VA and Northwest in Baltimore were the other two that offered the same deal on identical cars.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I am considering a BMW 5-series purchase. I am torn between new a CPO.

My local dealer has a 2007 CPO with 30k miles. It is a 530i with Premium, Sport, Nav, and Cold Weather. The color is black with terra interior, multi-contour seats. The condition is great, but not perfect. There is a light scratch in the passenger side dash, about 3" long that I am not thrilled about. They want $38,700 for the car, and don't seem willing to work with the price at all. In this economy, that seems ridiculous to me. What do you guys think is a fair price?

Also, generally, what % off of sticker price should I expect to be able to negotiate on a loaded 528i or 535i, with the 0.9% apr special. This dealer says they can go up to 5% off of sticker. Is this reasonable? I know someone who just got a brand new loaded Jaguar XJ8 for $20,000 below sticker. Is this dealer jerking me around, or does BMW just not discount their cars anymore?

Please help me make some sense out of this. Thanks!
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    that is not a fair price. I just got a 2007 550i CPO loaded for $35k. 35k miles, but that isnt out of the range.

Search the internet and ebay for CPO cars. there are a TON of 530is out there. You can find a perfect one for low 30s I am sure.

Good luck.
    Looks like you got the price down close to 10% off msrp, could be different by states.

based on your adjusted cap of 45.6K and info you've provided bout your lease, your monthly should be $577.94 (including tax).

Was there add'l cost added to your lease? Looks like $3,900 was added, are you sure you got the $2500 cash back? Something is very wrong with your $700 monthly. I'd re-check your lease contract, but unfortunately if you already signed and took the car home it's too late.
  • woodard1973woodard1973 Member Posts: 9
    Taxes in Maryland are based on cap cost, not leased cost. 6% on $48100 where as other states would pay tax on 42% of the that value (100% - 58% residual)

Plug a maryland zip code into the edmunds lease calculator (20707) and you'll get the $699 number.
    I'm looking for an identical car. I have one in NY (LI) that the salesman just told me about, 2007 530i, NAV, Sports, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, 30K miles, for me he's offering $35,250. Sounds like you're over paying for that one. I have another one, black with auburn interior that's for sale, 24K miles, 2007, 530i, sports, prem, cold they're asking $35K and change.

I know a dealer in NJ that let one go just like the above with only 20K miles on it for low $30's. I'm still kicking myself.

Good luck, let me know how you make out, CT here.
    Gardis72@gmail.com
    Can you give us a link into that ebay CPO?

I'm looking a 2007 530i, with sports.

Thanks
    Guys,
    I need some guidance. I just saw a beautiful car, CPO at the dealer. Actually the car is listed on the website, but was not on the lot. So I spoke to the internet sales manager, and the car was still in the process of being certified, so he brought me to show the car to me. Here's details:
    2007 530XI
    SPORT, premium, cold, bluetooth
    Black Sapphire with Auburn
    Warranty: 4 year to FEB 2011, extended warranty to FEB 2013
    Mileage: 23K
    ASKING PRICE $35,659

He is going to let me know when it's fully conditioned and let me drive it. I'm not sure about the all wheel drive. Is that good or not good? It has the usual 5 series rims, which I was disappointed because usually Sport pkg comes with sport rims. He explained why (something to do with all wheel drive, 18" wheels, etc). But the warranty is good, and the mileage is low. I just feel that price is a little on the high side.

Any comments? I can't wait to drive it. It had one owner, the dealer leased it to him for 2 years. No incidents with the car at all.
    BTW

I'm in CT

Gardis - CT
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Nice car. Price is high.

For example, I bought a 2007 550i loaded in late Jan. Same situation with 1 owner, 2 year lease. My car is loaded but with 35k miles. Asking $40k bought for $35k. $70k car new.

Ask $30k. Imo
    Thanks, good advice. Actually they had a 550i on the lot also, but too high powered for me. My problem is that since the car has just been received by the dealer, maybe they're not too anxious to make a deal with me. They might figure, let it sit there and see what happens? OTOH, I'm taking the car off their hands, decreases amount of carrying costs. I'm going to shoot for $33K see what happens. After all, the car has low mileage and the AWD makes it higher in price, that's just reality. I gotta tell you, that Auburn interior with the black is spectacular. I was hesitant about it, but when I saw the vehicle, very impressive combination. Don't see it too often.
  • mjf70mjf70 Member Posts: 5
    can you give me the dealer you got this deal from NJ as i am trying to get something similar.
  • gcmiamigcmiami Member Posts: 2
    Would be grateful for your input. I'm looking at a couple of 2007 525i CPO, both are basic. only option is steptronic auto trans.

One dealer has 2007, 525i, 14k mi. list price was $34,500k, then he dropped to $30,900 pretty quick. black/black
    Another dealer, 2007, 525i, 22k mi, list price $31,995k, haven't furthered my discussion yet. gray/black.

I still feel that these prices are high given the car is pretty much a base model. Your thoughts on an offer? I'm not trading-in or using their financing. This will be a straight forward deal.

Also, what is the philosophy around the dealer fees?$495-$595.00 Has anyone had success if getting those waived.

Thanks
  • sss2sss2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 525i coming off lease in a couple of months. It has NAV, SAT, Premium, auto, and USB. My residual is $31,412, and from what I've seen on the forums, I should be able to buy it from the dealer at a significant discount (like $27-28k). Based on that, you should be able to get these for about $30k. Mine is Black Saphire w/ Black Dakota leather. I have 40,000 miles on it if you're interested.