Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cliffturn9cliffturn9 Member Posts: 6
    So here is the deal that I just signed for a:
    2010 BMW 528xi.
    MSRP: 50,775
    Discounted Price: 48,100
    Residual Value: 57%
    Money Factor: .00155
    36 months
    12k/year
    Due at Delivery: 2,520 nothing else
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Xenon Lights
    Monthly payment: $618

What do you guys think of this deal? I know I can't change anything now but just wanted to know your guys and Car-Man's opinion
  • sandeepgsandeepg Member Posts: 2
    Hello Guys,

First of all THANKS to all of you for sharing your experiences here! I used this forum a lot before buying my first bimmer..... So here it goes, I just bought a 2007 525i Automatic w/ Steptronic, Xenon lights, Cold Weather and Premium Packages for $29,500. It was listed at $33,000 and has 41K miles. Its a CPO but has 1.5 years of original warranty on it. I live in Cincinnati, OH and bought it at The BMW Store. Its a shiny new car very clean... What do you guys think about the deal????

The other thing is that I am taking it there tomorrow to get the Windows Tinted. He told me about $250 incl Taxes for it. Is that a fair price and what do you think about the tinting?

The finance guy tried to talk me into buying the extended maintenance plan which he was quoting for $2200 - $2300. I declined it and at the end of the paperwork just before leaving, I asked him how was it again. He said he could sell it to me for $1895 as the price just went up by $200 on July 1st. I want to know if anyone recently bought it and at what price??

Thanks Again & Cheers! :)
  • kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Sandee... seems a little on the high side for a 525 without all wheel drive and mileage on the high side for a 2007 but we all seem to end up paying a little too much, IMO. I think it is easier said than done to find a clean CPO with the color combo we like or can live with, so don't fret, just enjoy the car. Driving a BMW is a beautiful experience.
    Regarding the extended maintenance, there was a recent price increase to about $2,200 but I have heard of deals in the high teens - I would try to work it down some if you think it's something you want. I am still debating as I don't know if I will end up keeping my 2006.
    Good luck and have fun.
  • hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    Yes - you can go to autospies.com. There are a number of pictures out - and the new model will be much better lines than the existing 5 series.. (I own a 2007 530i). If you can wait - bet the new designs are out in 6-8 months.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi Sandee, congratulations, you sound very happy with it, and best of luck! I wouldn't worry about how much money maybe you left on the table. If you are happy with the vehicle that's all that counts.
    I'm personally not crazy about tinting, I think if you have the right interior color, it could be OK, but I've seen it on Black Sapphire/Black leather and thought it looked way too dark. Actually I looked at a vehicle last year with tinting, and the first question I asked is how much to remove it ($125). So it's up to you. You don't live in a southern climate like Florida or AZ, so use your own judgement. Take a look at a vehicle with tinting before you take the plunge.

I'm trying to decide on pin striping my car. It's Alpine White with Black, I've looked at the samples, but can't decide. I've not seen a lot of pinstriping on Alpine. The car is a cream puff as is, but I want to personalize it. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Good luck Sandee, enjoy the vehicle. BMW's are so exciting aren't they? My car causes all kinds of looks and commentary.
  • ghigginsghiggins Member Posts: 5
    Does your $618 include tax ?
  • cliffturn9cliffturn9 Member Posts: 6
    yes 618 includes tax.

good deal?
  • timgrifftimgriff Member Posts: 6
    As much as i love BMW, i don't think I will buy one, 5-series, as my next car. I have read many comments from bimmer owners and a number of them expressed issues right off the bat if not later in their ownership. And these are new BMWs i am talking about. How can BMW not fix there problems. And as for the dealers who ignores the problems as normal. it bothers me to read these kind of car troubles people have. Am i the only one who wants a BMW but who is turn away? I would like to hear others opinion. Instead, i am going with the lexus RX450h.
  • pkh540pkh540 Member Posts: 24
    For what it is worth, I have been a member of the BMW Car Club since '97 (when I did Euro delivery on a 540) and without fail, every month I read in the letters section of Roundel (the club magazine) or here on Edmunds these types of complaints about "all the problems" with BMW cars and the dealers.

Knock on wood; I've not had these kinds of problems though I have had unsatisfactory episodes with dealers.

I am a 20+ year public relations executive and let me share something I have to explain repeatedly to my clients... you only hear the complaints. When people are frustrated and when family or friends are no longer an audience considered "big enough" people turn to a larger audience found on these boards (or Roundel). Some are legitimate complaints, some exaggerate the issues but clearly a problem of some sort has flustered someone enough to seek a larger audience.

But what about those who haven't had a similar experience? Do they seek out a forum to share their positive experience? Sometimes they will step up to the plate as I am now to say, "hey, not me" but most will not. The network news doesn't broadcast "good news." Nor do papers. And with the rapid growth of the internet and these forums you'd think that the sky is falling... or BMW would be out of business. But they're not. The happy BMW owners are out enjoying their ride and don't have time to share positive experiences.

On another note, when the new X5 came out I was invited to a BMW event where we drove the X5, ML500, XC90 and GX470. The X5 was amazing... I drove it hard and deep into the corners and it handled almost like a 5 series. Now that the X5 is finally available with a diesel, when it comes time to trade-in my Land Cruiser that will be what I buy (unless BMW puts the diesel in the new 5 wagon). The 450h is nice but I would never trust it off road ("What if I run out of urea at the top of Pikes Peak?" Give me a break... anyone going off road would thoroughly check their vehicle first!). And as for driving satisfaction, the 450h doesn't come close.

Buy what YOU want and enjoy... but take the complaints on these forums with a grain of salt.

And yes, I love my 5 series.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    I love my 5 series as well. This is my second 5 series and it's the best car I have every had and I've driven quite a few. I haven't had any REAL problems with the car. It has never left me stranded. Now if only I could keep people from rear ending me, life would be good.

Previous responder to your message is correct. Most people on these boards, and not all complain. The people who are happy are busy driving their cars and don't have time to talk about how happy they are with their BMW.

BTW: I had a Lexus and while it's indeed a nice car and the dealership gave top notch service, it was a boring ride. Not in my BMW and that is why people keep buying them. Ride is like no other......
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    I own two 5 series at this point (dont ask...one lease is up in 4 months and I will get something else). Zero major problems...very happy with both. Love these cars!
    Guys,
    I'm on my 3rd CPO BMW. I have now a 2007 530i in Alpine Wht and I love the vehicle. I get compliments and oohs and aahs all the time, even by people on the road stopped next to me at a red light! Think about it, essentially BMW is giving you a 6 year warranty on the car. The first 4 original, and they ADD 2 years for the CPO.
    What manufacturer would take a chance on a vehicle by warrantying parts and labor for 6 years, can you name me any? If the car wasn't solid, they'd been out of business a long time ago.
    Plus, I get good mileage on this car, I can't believe I'm getting avg 20mpg city driving, and much higher when I drive highway. mY former 328i (1996) was giving me about 19mpg city, and also much better highway, but this car is heavier and bigger. I'm out there every Saturday obsessing over it, washing, doing the windows, etc.............just love the car.

Hey I never got an answer: can I go into a car wash with the engine running? will it self-lock during the wash and I won't be able to get back in? I think if the key is in the ignition, two pulls on the handle opens it, but please someone tell me. Thanks.
    Can't get it str8 from the manual.

Gardis in CT
  • asterix4asterix4 Member Posts: 16
    After looking for a few months, I finally bought a 2008 528i CPO with 9K miles for 33600 plus tax & license. (plus new carpet mats & all weather mats). I test drove a new Lexus ES350, Acura TL, & Volvo S80, nothing came even remotely close to BMW's driving experience.

I also bought the 2 year maintenance for 2195$ and got 2.9% financing. Is this a good deal ?

I'm a first time BMW owner. Can someone advise about any internet sites regarding tips for good driving techniques & maintenance for a 528i. Thanks a lot for all your help.
    Wow asterix, that sounds like a great deal! most 2008's are up there in the top $30K range with that low level of mileage. I suspect it's not loaded with many pkgs, though right? You should have until 2013 on the CPO warranty on that car.
    Thanks Gardis. It is a base 528i with Navigation.

I paid 2195$ for the extended maintenance pkg, did I overpay ? Please comment. The dealer started from 2,999 and won't budge below 2195$.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    unfortunately, yes, you overpaid on the maintenance plan. You can go to forums like e60forum or bimmerfest and find dealers willing to sell for about $1800.

I believe $1600 is the cost, but that is by memory.

Congrats on the car. I didnt even pay $1800 for my CPO 550i as I couldnt add up the costs to get that high. Basically, brakes would have to be over the top.
  • sandeepgsandeepg Member Posts: 2
    Hi asterix4,

First of all Congrats for your new BMW! It is an amazing experience to own and drive one....

FYI, I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a 2007 525i 41K miles w/ Prmm and Cold Packages w/ Xenon Adaptive lights for $29,500. I paid another $250 for windows tinting and this past weekend, I bought the entended maintenance plan for $1895 from the same BMW Store in Cincinnati. The finance guy had quoted me $2300 initially when I was buying the car but before I got up he mentioned $1895 which would be cost-to-cost. He must still be making some money on it but not a lot. I had checked the pricing with some other BMW dealers around here and their price was between $2200-2300. The price goes up by $200-400 every year. It just went up on July 1st. So, yes you did pay a little bit more for the extended warranty.... but it all evens out... we pay more for something and less for other things... Be Happy and Enjoy the Car!!! :)
    Thank you Sandeepg, Gardis and others for your wishes and replies. I'm fine with a little overpayment on the mtce pkg. It was bundled in the 2.9% financing. Slightly different concern -

I love the car so far. I've driven it for last two days. I'm going through what I could best describe as buyer's remorse at this time . I'm a long time Toyota owner. Cost of maintenance and overall reliability are extremely important to me. Other cars I was considering buying were Acura TL (tech) or ES350.

The more I read this and other forums, I realize that 5 series maintenance could be pretty darn costly. I'm glad that I bought the extended maintenance pkg. So, my original warranty & maintenance are good till Sep 2012 and then I've two additional years of CPO warranty & maintenance.

I'll continue to follow this forum for tips/advice on how to maintain my new 5-series.
    Asterix, you are comparing apples to oranges. Are you really comparing a 5 series BMW, one of the highest rated cars in the world, with a Toyota? Now, I love a Toyota, it's a fabulous car. If you wanted to compare it to a Lexus, that would be OK. Also, Toyota requires maintenance.

Also, have you ever wondered why Lexus service operates late hours? If you have a Lexus, you can bring it for service in the middle of the night practically. WHY would they need to keep their service center's open so late if the cars didn't need servicing? My neighbor brings his car like 10PM or 11PM (he had an appt at that time).
    They are clearly a top rated vehicle also, but Lexus also requires servicing. ALL these high end cars require servicing. It goes with the territory.
  • autonomousleeautonomouslee Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious about any advice you may have on negotiating a 2009 528 x. I see a $5000 marketing support as well as 2.9% financing on the incentives section. One of the dealers near me has a basic model with a $48,500 list price. I'm assuming the dealer gets the 5k in support regardless of whether or not I take the financing deal. Is the appropriate target $43,500 plus 2.9%?
    Thanks
    I actually think the Lexus extended hours are more about customer service than reliability, Gardis. Let's not forget that, during the 70s and 80s, the Japanese beat the USA senseless with customer service (and reliability) for almost every product manufactured. That ethic has only continued over the years. Extended hours is something that BMW and Mercedes could learn a lesson about - how much would I like to have the option of Saturday auto service!!!
    As for other posts about prices and costs of extended maintenance, I have come to believe that we all overpay for our BMWs, in one way or another. It is an emotional decision, ultimately, and there is no way we win in that situation.
  • vchadvchad Member Posts: 97
    with the 10' models on the lot, you should easily get 9500 off.

Id personally go for 10,500 off. They have a 5k rebate to work with, so taking 5k off a aged car, is least they could do. I was offered 9500, once I called my dealer out on the rebate, he went from 4k off to 9500 in 10mins, when he knew I wasn't stupid.

Be stern, dont feel like your offending them, or being rude. Stick with the price you want to pay, and if they wont agree, WALK AWAY...i'll bet ya 99% of time, they'll call ya back in within 2days.
  • bdbdbdbd Member Posts: 2
    Hi asterix4,

Do you mind sharing the dealership information? I'm also looking to buy a 08 5 series, and your purchase price seems to fit my buget. But all the dealers in DC area seem to ask for a much higher price. Did you negotiate hard to get 33600?
    Thanks a lot.
    bdbd - I bought it from BMW of Monrovia. I did not negotiate hard. I could have knocked off may be hundred or so dollars more.
    I just looked at the dealer's 5 series for 2010 (computer generated) and I cannot tell the difference if there is any with the previous models. Certainly, it doesn't look like they made major changes.
  • dnagsdnags Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 1993 525 that I bought new and had for 10 years and 212000 miles. I loved that car, but I replaced it with an Infiniti g35, which is just not the same. I want to get another 5 series, so I started looking a late model, low mileage dealer loaners. They are asking between 37,000 and 42,000 for 2009's with about 6,000 miles on them. I have no idea what they would take, though. However, with the manufacturer/dealer 5k incentive, and the 2.9 pricing on new 2009's, don't you think I can do almost as well on a new one? I could probably buy a new one for 2 to 3k under invoice. Does anyone out there have any experience with this or an opinion? thanks.
  • bdbdbdbd Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    This is the first time for me to buy a bmw. I'm looking at a 08 535i with prem, cold weather packages, and only 6 miles. The dealer's list price is 43k. How much room do I have for negotiation? The dealer said it's a used car (moved from new inventory to used inventory in 3/09, so the original warranty starts in 3/09). Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I would be prepared to play hardball and be prepared to walk away. I think that is the key. I had a 535 as a loaner and loved it, but I am concerned about the fuel pump problems BMW has had with this model and that the company now is extending the warranty on this for 120,000K. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I think this issue affects resale and perception.

Gardis, where did you see dealer renderings of the 2010 model?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    you say that they're extending warranty for the 08 535 to 120k? is that just for the fuel pump?
  • sri3sri3 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the same boat. I am in Arkansas, and here, prices are higher for a similar 535i. May I know what state and which dealer, and what kind of mileage on the car approximately.
    Thanks!
    Gregory, I believe the warranty is just for the fuel pump, I can't imagine BMW extending the warranty for the entire car. While I love the 535, the pump problem might be a deal killer for me if I was going to keep the car a long time or drove a lot.
    Kevin, I looked on bmwusa.com, went to build your own, 5 series, and I figure that has to be the 2010? It's already end of August, wouldn't a new car be a 2010 at this point? Maybe I'm wrong........I guess so.
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    hmmm
    interesting . . . well good luck. i've had my 08 535xi since since may june 07 and i really like the vehicle. i'm waiting for my 2010 535xi to be delivered. my wife drives mercedes but i find the bmw dealer network (we've lived in 3 states in the past 3 years) has been great in dealing with any problem i've had. i find the customer service to be excellent
    Gardis, I am under the impression that the 2010s have been on the bmw site for the past couple of months at least. I am thinking that the 09s became last year's model in the late spring - early summer.
    You should not be building a 2010, my friend, since you just got a car you love!!!
    It is way too tempting!!!
    Guys,
    I just asked one of the dealers I worked with before I made my purchase. Here's what he told me:

The 2010 5-Series is still the same body style. It is still the same exact car. The 2011 5-Series will be the full redesign of the 5-Series model. The 2011's should start coming in mid-2010. We haven't seen any pictures of the 2011 5-series sedan but we have seen the 2011 5-Series Wagon. It is called the 5-Series GT. You can definitely find pictures online.

So that pretty much tells us what the plans are for the 5 series. Thanks Guys.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    I had a 2005 ES350 and let me tell you, routine maintenance for that car was expensive. I had to put brakes on a call with 33K miles at $750. That is ridiculous for a Lexus.......IMHO
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Member Posts: 7
    ...was delivered this morning. Silver w/grey, Prem and Cold Weather, 27K, $31,400 plus $575 delivery (eastern PA to MI). Love it, but am totally intimidated by the iDrive - so complicated! Any tips, tricks and key info would be appreciated. I downloaded the manual and I'm slogging through...Where are all the 5 Series Wagon people lurking??
  • ceecee4ceecee4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi where did you purchase your 528i cpo? I think thats a good deal. A dealer in florence, sc is selling a 2007 530 for the same price.

Thanks
    CC
  • leo1971leo1971 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys, what is the key point of sports pkg for 535i, is it really necessary. Thanks...
  • jeffaljeffal Member Posts: 28
    The key point for the Sports Package on the 5 series (non X-drive models) is ARS (Active Roll Stabilization).

It keeps the car flat (no body roll) during hard turns. It improves handling and increases the fun factor!

There is only a slight decrease in ride comfort because it comes with low profile Run Flat tires. If you don't get the Sports Package the car comes with regular tires (non-run flat).
  • leo1971leo1971 Member Posts: 2
    It is more clear now, thanks, jeffal...
    Further on the sports package: I have a 2007 530i that I bought from the dealer in Greenwich, CT. Vehicle had 24K on it. Sports package also gives you the black trim around the windows ("shadow line") and also sport rims. Now, if the car is "xi"
    then you get the regular rims that come with the 5 series even without the sports package and I don't under stand that. So that's two extra features you get with Sports. I love my vehicle.
  • joesnotesjoesnotes Member Posts: 1
    Alright folks, I'm a proactive economist I suppose you could say, so I've digested a fair bit of this thread. I have a somewhat unique issue to bring to the table:

I am looking at several '06/'07 5-series in the greater Boston area and trying to get a feel for whether I can make the move or not. For me it's an all or nothing decision: I drove the 5-series and I love it, if I don't go that route I'm going to be a masochist and buy something hateful like a Camry.

Unique points: my company is giving me a $600/mo allowance for a car (and 38 cents to the mile). My accountant says that will all come to me clear after deductions for depreciation. My budget is essentially toppd out at $600/month and I'd like to keep it less than that for the total financing payment

I drive the car for work and will probably put 25,000 a mile on it. I'm very concerned about the turn-in value being 'upside down' if I were to 're up' in a couple of years.

Am I being paranoid or will I be able to afford my baby somewhere in the mid-500's and be able to turn it in without losing 3-6 grand.

For clarity, I'm assuming and (certainly in my case) that there will be $0 out of pocket. The cars I'm looking at all seem to be just under $30k with ~40k miles on them.

Thanks!

Joe
  • pravinmpravinm Member Posts: 12
    Hi everybody,

looking to get a CPO 528i. It comes with the extended warranty as part of the CPO. I am considering getting an extended maintenance plan that will cover maintenance for an extra 2 years after the initial 4yr/50K just like the extended warranty provides extra coverage for 2 yrs. The extended maintenance will cover the maintenance items like oil change, brakes, pads, wipers, services etc just like what BMW does for the initial 4 yr/50K. How much should i pay for this? Dealers are asking for around $2,000.

Thanks!
  • injunjackinjunjack Member Posts: 1
    My dealer has a 535xi new w/ Cold weather pkg, M sport pkg, prem pkg, Navigation, comfort access, rear sunshades, heated rear seats, park distance control, Xenon headlight/adaptive light control, IPOD/HD rad/Sirius, Logic 7 snd sys

they say that they reported it as sold some time ago to get a $5000 incentive. they want $56,342. Is this a good price? they say they can only give me 4.9% for 60 months financing... I'm not sure that's entirely true.
  • pghaltimapghaltima Member Posts: 19
    sounds like a great deal. I go the 09 535xi with cold,prem,sport packages, nav,parking distance, foldable back seat, heated back seat,ipod attachment for 57500. would love to have the sunshades and comfort access though
  • dnagsdnags Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 09 535 about six weeks ago. It had every option except nav (winter package, sports package, shades, premium package, etc.) It was an executive car with about 15k miles on it, but it was sold as a new car. MSRP was 59k and I got it for 40k. they gave me the incentive, but wanted to give me 6.9 financing. I told them to "cuddle it" and they found 4.4 at bank of america.
  • chen888minchen888min Member Posts: 1
    hi guys.

I'm considering getting a used 2008 535i. And the dealer offer me 31200 after Michigan tax.

The carfax reports indicates the High-pressure fuel pump problems, I didn't really know what that is, (sorry, I dont know too much about cars) and just wondering if it is worth to get. please help me out.. the following pdf is the reports dealer sent to me.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B0LYY5oWv2udMWUxMWU4ZmYtZGJjYS00Mjk0LTg3M2Qt- ZDRkNmM5NjUwOWJm&hl=en
  • tocheer4tocheer4 Member Posts: 9
    I have 2008 535i sport and prem. But I hate the sport option because the run flat tire. It is too soft. Even before the 20,000. It is gone. I had to replace them all and very expensive. Don't get it if possible. Not worth it.
  • nlkleinbergnlkleinberg Member Posts: 17
    Hi:

I was just into my local dealer pricing a 2010 535XI (for one of the last orders). Guy seemed very amenable to going $500 over invoice (or thereabouts). Almost TOOOOO easy, if you know what I mean. :)

Does anyone know if BMW is offering cash incentives (either to dealer or customer) in the NY area? That might explain things.

Thanks.