Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• firstbmw_gafirstbmw_ga Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,

I'm in the market for new BMW 528i / 535i, and here is best quote I've received so far. Would like to get the experts' opinion, on if this is a decent price.

2010 - 528i - Space Gray with Gray interior - Cold weather package - Premium package - Value package - comfort access - split fold down rear seat - xenon head lights- navigation - satellite radio
    MSRP = $53,195
    Carsdirect = $44,810
    Offer at $44,500

2010 - 535i - Space gray with cream beige - Premium - Sport package - value package - comfort access - navigation - satellite radio
    MSRP = $60,345
    Carsdirect = $50,190
    Offer @ $48,000

Couple of additional questions
    - Documentation fee is about $599.. What do you think is the reasonable fee in Georgia ?
    - This will be my first time buying a BMW.. Should I go for 528i or 535i ?

Thanks,
    ST.
    please ignore my previous message, as I've made error in the numbers..

I'm in the market for new BMW 528i / 535i, and here is best quote I've received so far. Would like to get the experts' opinion, on if this is a decent price.

2010 - 528i - Space Gray with Gray interior - Cold weather package - Premium package - Value package - comfort access - split fold down rear seat - xenon head lights- navigation - satellite radio
    MSRP = $53,195
    Carsdirect = $44,810
    Offer at $44,500

2010 - 535i - Space gray with cream beige - Premium - Sport package - value package - comfort access - navigation - satellite radio
    MSRP = $60,345
    Carsdirect = $50,190
    Offer $50,000

Couple of additional questions
    - Documentation fee is about $599.. What do you think is the reasonable fee in Georgia ?
    - This will be my first time buying a BMW.. Should I go for 528i or 535i ?

Thanks,
    ST.
  • doanmquangdoanmquang Member Posts: 34
    Doc fee is ok.......

There is one 535i in Roswell area which MSRP 56,920K which advertise to sell for 48K.

I believe you can knock down 2K for the 535I.

I bought 335I 2009 for 37K (MSRP 51K) in Feb 2010.
    doc fee is 349 in Athen.

The stragegy is to negotiate through email before you come in the dealer. Come to dealer is a waste of time. You have time to work on the deal until April 30 which the incentive expired
    I forgot to mention there is a hold back $1367

So basicly....negotiate on 47K up to 48k..+ doc fee + 6% tax + 41 ($3 lemon + $18 registration + $20 title)
    Thanks for your input..

Yes, I did look at the one in Roswell, and his best offer seems to be $48,925 (might go to $48K0, and it doesn't have sport package.

Any thoughts on 528i offer
    - MSRP $53,195, so far I negotiated it down to $44,500 on the sales price, but I'm still negotiating on doc fee
    - This particular car is not on his lot, and needs to come from some where in west coast.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.
    You can not negotiate on the doc fee but you can knock down the price of the car which is equal to doc fee. That is the trick.....because all the doc fee is preprint on the sale document.

The 528i offer is still high. I think you can lower your offer to 42.5K to 43K + doc fee. Remember, 2011 model is on the parking lot so time is more flavoravle on your side than the dealer.

GA economy is very weak with 10.5 unemployment rate. I don't see a lot of business activities going on and you see a lot of commercial Lease sign posted up.

Which dealer are you working on?

Remember every penny to save is good. Dealer are trying to make much profit from you as possible.

Doc fee is actually their profit and split between the salesman and their manager....and that does not counting into others profit like car options, holdback and incentives for sell more cars from the manufactures...

I hope that helps....
    Thanks doanmquang for your input.

I thought carsdirect (target price) was the price to beat. So when the dealer agreed for $44.5 (few hundred dollars below target price), I thought it was a decent price. Some how I missed to include dealer holdback of $1367 ...

Dealer I'm working with is Nalley's BMW.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    try www.truecar.com to find the true cost of the specific car w/ options.

I optioned a 528i to $53,170 MSRP and it says the true cost is $43,211. so they are still making $1,300.
    Of course, the dealer will alway make profit. The profit amount is usually depend on the buyer behavior and knowledge. They can still can earn on the profit on your finance and trading in.....

Truescar.com site which I used as a price guide and I know I can beat their target price easily...depend on end of the month or first day of the month.....

As I know there are less and less buyers in the market.....so BMW give their $$ for marketing support and Loyal Customer..... and .09 percent for 24 months...etc....

Just keep your options open and negotiate with several dealers at the same time....
    Once the price is confirm.....let them know get the paper work done and wash the car for you to pick it up....

I walk out the dealer with the car and all paper work done in 30 minutes...no waiting.....
  • yoshodeepyoshodeep Member Posts: 6
    Just bought my 528xi (space gray ext, black int, value, premium, xenon) in the Chicago area - $42,256.00(carsdirect) + $155.00 (doc fee). Had to also pay $300.00 more to turn in my 2007 328xi lease 3 months ahead of time.

Good deals with the remaining 2010 models these days....I was thinking of a late model CPO in the beginning, but decided with a new one, given the deals around...
  • greg777greg777 Member Posts: 9
    There is a lot of good feedback on pricing already, but not much on the 528 vs. 535 issue. After all, if you get a slightly better deal on the wrong car, it really is not such a great deal.

Regarding the 528 vs. 535 – I believe the engines are really the same displacement (the numbers used to indicate the engine size, but BMW did away with that long ago) so a 528 is not necessarily 2.8 liters, a 535 is most definitely NOT 3.5 liters, etc.)

Both are fine engines – BMW is still the champ of inline 6 engines – which are inherently balanced engines as opposed to V6s which require balance shafts to run smoothly.

So either mode, the 528 or 535 is a fine car, it’s just a matter of what you want. The 535, with its 300 h.p. and 300 foot pounds of torque is an absolute jewel of en engine. Much better than the high performance 540i of just a few years ago. That said, it is a powerful engine. If you like to accelerate really quickly and drive on a track, buy a 535. For many, a 528 has all the power you will ever need. Especially if your motoring is limited to the traffic clogged roads (like in Atlanta, for example). Then, the 528 saves you quite a bit of $, and won’t make much different. For me, I instruct at high speed driving schools and track events with the BMW club, so I would by the 535 all day long. But that is not relevant to you – the question is how YOU drive.

If in doubt, drive both models, not just around the block, but really drive them. Accelerate both at full throttle to see just what the difference is. If you find the faster acceleration worth it, buy a 535. If you find the 528 more than adequate, buy a 528 and save yourself some hard earned cash. There is no right answer overall, but there is a right answer for you.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    this is good advice. We chose the 528i over the 535i as it just wasnt worth, at the time, $100/month.

That said, once my 528i lease was up , we purchased a CPO 550i. :blush:
    Hi smthsonga,

Appreciate your input greatly... Yes, I'm a casual driver, bassically will be using it to commute to work (Atlanta roads :-) and the occasional road trips with the family. I've driven both around the block and high way. As you indicated, 535i drives much better, and I think 528i is totally adequate for what I'd need.

Thanks again.
  • tocheer4tocheer4 Member Posts: 9
    If you can, go for 535. Especially after one or two years of driving, you will feel the difference. I had 525 before. When it is a brand new car, you do not feel much difference. Then a year later, I feel sorry that I did not got 535. Then two years ago, I got 535, it is not disappointed at least for two some years now.
  • joe24joe24 Member Posts: 67
    It was in NJ. BMW of Tenafly gave me a price of $42.8K for 528XI that was MRSP of about $51,900. Most of the other dealers were around the cars direct price of $43.5. From what I've seen you can get $700 below cars direct if its on their lot and about $300 if they need to procure it from another dealer.

I got the 535 Xi. After driving both, it was close. I used to drive a G35 and the 528 didnt have enough power. Given all the discounts, It made sense to get the 535.
  • shyamyshyamy Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2010
    Hi,

I got an offer for a 2008 CPO 535xi for $36,000. It has 34,000 miles on it. Is it a good deal?or is it on the higher side compared to other similar ones?

Any help appreciated..If you need more details, let me know and I'll check with the dealer. Thanks!
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    shyamy, yes, without more info it is hard to compare. But, without more info, maybe the price is somewhat high at this point in the 2010-2011 model year.

I purchased a certified 2008 BMW 535i in October 2009, with 26,000 miles, for a couple thousand dollars more than what you have been quoted. I thought the price was fair then and now. The dealer also "threw in" a new set of tires, a year of Sirius radio, and two sets of new floor mats (one carpeted and one rubber). I valued those concessions as being part of the deal and made an allowance of $1000. I also got the color I wanted, the great comfort seats, and the previous drivers were non-smokers (it was a demo).

Happy hunting.
  • shyamyshyamy Member Posts: 23
    Thanks phylp.

I guess your deal is much better. I'll not be taking this one up right now..Looking for more options. Thanks for the advise.
  • 1stbmw51stbmw5 Member Posts: 2
    has nav and prem pkg. modular seats. XM radio. bmw of sudbury, MA. traded in 1997 camry for 1.6k for a net of 44k. good deal?
    dealer also sold wheels/tire plan for 1300$/5 yrs and 10yr/110k mile ex warranty for 4700$. is that a good price?
    thanks
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Tire plan is expensive.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateProtection/TireandWheelP- rotection.aspx

I have not heard of 10 years. With below you can buy it before your 4 years/50k miles is up. What happens if your car is totaled or stolen in the first year? Do you lose that $4,700??

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateProtection/ExtendedVehic- leProtection.aspx
  • cash12cash12 Member Posts: 5
    Looking to get a BMW 535i with around 30k miles on it for less than $30,000 out the door. I live in the bay area but willing to travel to get the right deal.

Think it's possible.

Interested in how much extra do you think CPO is worth?

thanks,
  • ct_audict_audi Member Posts: 6
    After a couple dealers tried to suggest that such a "hot" car only sells for list, I completed a transaction for invoice + 2.2K I believe there is probably a 2-3% holdback on this car as well so the dealer is still making quite a bit on this car. Probably suggests that there was probably another 600-700 of room for those willing to be more patient.

MSRP Invoice
    1150 535i 49600 45630
    354 Titanium Silver Metallic 550 550
    ZCV Convenience Package 1700 1545
    ZPP Premium Package 1800 1640
    3AG Rear-view camera 400 365
    508 Park Distance Control 750 685
    609 Navigation system 1900 1730
    6FL iPod and USB adapter 400 365
    6NF Smart phone integration 150 135
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic trans. n/c n/c
    465 Split fold-down-rear seat 475 430
    Net Total 57725 53075
    Destination Charge 875 875
    Dealership Overhead 300
    Manufacturer Co-Advertising Fees 250
    Training services/marketing 180
    Total Suggested Price 58,600 54,680
    Dealer Fees 549
    Net Total 59,149

Negotiated Total 56,949 54,680 :shades:
    +tax, tag, and title
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Greg,
    That was terrific technical information. I looked at a beautifiul 2008 535i at Bridgeport BMW (CT) at the end of 2008 (CPO) had 27K miles on it, they were asking $38,900. it was black sapph, prem pkg, sports pkg, beautiful rims. I passed on it after a lot of agonizing because I just didn't think I wanted to get involved with twin turbos. That's a new engine, isn't it? The dealer said to me, 'you're right, that's extra moving parts you don't have on the 530i' ..... what do you think about that? I ended up with a smashing 530i, 2007 with only 24K miles on it and sports, prem, cold, prem sound and NAV. Love the car. It's just enough for me. Thanks, really learn so much from this column.

Gardis in CT
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Yo Gardis -- glad to see you are lurking. Enjoying that bmw you got?
    Your MSRP/Invoice of Total Suggested Price 58,600 54,680 should not include these items.

Dealership Overhead 300

I can't believe after all that there is another.
    Dealer Fees 549.

Those 4 items add up to be $1,279.
    It came out you paid $2,999 over invoice.
  • ct_audict_audi Member Posts: 6
    Let’s not confuse cost versus invoice. The invoice (as seen from 3 different dealers) had those three line items and it is what it is, it can’t be changed or edited. To work back from invoice to cost you could make the adjustment to strip those out if you believe that the manufacturer does not receive any of that money, just as you would try to estimate the holdback and back that out of the invoice as well as any rebates, etc…

Just speculating, but the $300 overhead is not likely going to BMW, the 250 co-ad fees are, and the 180 training services I have no clue. In my experience it is a fool’s errand to try to talk “cost” with a dealer since you will get a different answer if you get one at all (often a different cost figure will be given by the salesperson, truecar.com, Edmunds, and the f&I guy).

My comparison to invoice is still valid as the invoice (not cost) reads 54,680. Those three items are not included in the sticker in much the same way that regional advertising fees on a lexus are not part of the sticker. So the MSRP is still $58,600.

The dealer fee is the below the line item that they like to preprint on the contract forms. Fortunately the same printer can put a XXXX through it. However, since that is a straight to the dealer’s pocket “fee” it is not in the invoice nor should be considered as such. So if you are working invoice up (or cost up) it can be ignored since you can ask the dealer to include it in their first offer and then as they come down you know that there is an extra 549 (or some dealers show it 489) in their figure.

So you could look at the purchase as an invoice of 54,680 plus 1,720, then 549 straight to dealer for the 56,949. To make it simpler for those that use the forum, I simply rolled the dealer fee into the 1720 to get invoice + 2.2K, not invoice +2,999 as you suggest.

A dealer will negotiate this as a discount of 2,200 off MSRP, but since they would then add back the 549 fee. Their 2,200 “discount” should really be treated as a 1,651 discount off sticker.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Every car at first availability is a "hot car"....I'm giving it 3-4 months and dealers will have worked thru their pre-orders and seeing their lot fill with stock cars.
    The 3 items aren't universal charges for all dealers in 50 states unlike destination charge. Let's say the car's invoice (w/dest) is $40k and the 3 items are $5k, and one pays $45k for the car and say they paid invoice price because those 3 items are on 3 dealers nearby.

Dealership Overhead 300
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    All BMWs have the training/service fee on the invoice....

Most dealers participate in the advertising co-op (MACO), though the amount can vary (zero for those that don't)..

Dealership overhead? Well.... maybe dealer document fees... Those are all over the map, and are restricted by law in some states.

If you don't mention the word, invoice during negotiations.... then, it won't matter what they are.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bruiseraexbruiseraex Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have info on the 2011 535i residual and money factors for 2yr or 3yr lease, 12K mi per year (I assume it's less 2% for 15K a year)? Thanks.
  • coolmarucoolmaru Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Just drove home in my (first time buyer) new 528i, automatic with ipod charger and no other options. Got a price of 38900 + tax. Was that price good?

Thanks,

coolsat
  • rich6rich6 Member Posts: 3
    were you able to negotiate off of msrp., where did you get your car and how do you like it
    I'm still reading the columns avidly, I always learn so much from you guys...I'm loving my vehicle, I had it serviced at 30K miles at BMW Darien (bought it at Greenwich BMW, but they're service dept is much farther from my house).........did not cost me ONE PENNY, and that felt good. The car is magnificent, I'm getting about 19mpg city driving, and much higher on the highway, though in the winter, I notice my gas efficiency goes down. I've gotten so many compliments on the car. It's a looker, Alpine White with the sports pkg and shadow line trim, looks great.
    Gardis
  • 1stbmw51stbmw5 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. the link you posted only gives me details about the plan, no pricing info.

the dealer said you can cancel the ex warranty anytime before the 4/50k for a full refund.

the max i found by calling other ex warranty providers is for 7 yrs (AAA, carchex etc). only this one from CNA is for 10y/110k. apparently, they can change the miles and years to suit your budget. example, they originally offered me 10y/120k for $500 more.

basically i am paying $800/yr from yr 4-10 thru 110k miles.
    didnt seem too bad to me.
    thoughts?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I had a chance to drive a brand new 535i & 550i tonight @ the BMW Ultimate Drive Event. All I can say is WOW! They've done it again. BMW has made the best sport sedan in the world!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jd08limitedjd08limited Member Posts: 19
    New to the forum, but love all the great info. Just purchased a 535ixdrive, 2010
    -90 miles, space gray, natural brown interior, value package, premium package, nav system. Was the last one they had, but love the color combo-so it was meant to be. Not sure if we got a good deal, but felt it was fair. Have not even picked it up yet, but after just the time spent in it test driving-I can not wait to get in and go. Thanks for all the insight.
    Very smart of you to keep the details of the deal confidential. No point in doing that once the car is purchased.
  • drakejdrakej Member Posts: 8
    'Very smart'?!! What the #$#? You must be a dealer. Isnt the whole point of this message board to share information with fellow consumers to aid in their future purchases?
    Once the deal is done why bother. Most folks get ripped for paying too much. It makes perfect sense to post for info before you buy. I love the posts --"I just bought a XXX and paid YYY ---Did I get a good deal? Do your own research-- check the forums and if you feel you want to share what you paid, fine.
    Your comment "you must be a dealer" was amusing.
  • wildcat8wildcat8 Member Posts: 2
    I drove a new one home last Friday with:
    - only 50 miles
    - Premium Package ZPP
    - Xenon Adaptive Headlights
    - Sirius Satellite Radio (1 yr)
    - iPod and USB Adapter
    The drive-out price was $42,500, which includs everything.
    edited June 2010
    I am sure that Edmunds forums helped me to get fair prices when I purchased a Volvo S80 in 2000 and a Lexus RX330 in 2003. Same for the 2008 BMW 535i I purchased last fall. And, I posted about my BMW buying experience then, including the price I paid. If someone found that helpful, good. If not, also good. I appreciate all the helpful info disclosed here and encourage others to make use of the forum as they see fit.
  • jd08limitedjd08limited Member Posts: 19
    Since the deal was done already, what good does it do to hear that I paid too much. I love the car, felt it was a fair price and am totally excited, so why put any negatives into the equation. Had I found the forum earlier, I am sure I could have paid less-but hey I am just pumped to get this car and can't go back to worry about the price. Got $7500 for a 2000 Lexus ES300 trade in, which seemed more than fair. We bought very quickly-this dealer had 2 others that we had looked at and were sold before we could even blink an eye, so did not want to miss out on this beauty.
    I have received an invitation to attend the BMW Ultimate Driving Event in my area. Not sure if I will attend, but am glad that you can report such fun. The event invitation claims that there is a "gift" that can be redeemed toward the purchase of a new BMW. I am curious -- do you have any info on what that part of the promo entails?
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    You will receive an email with a code# that you can redeem (must be in possession of car by 9/30) for a $1000 discount. You apply this discount after you make your deal. Unfortunately the $1000 cannot be used on the new 2011 5 series but it can be used on any other 2011 model and also the 2010 X3, 535i Gran Turismo, 550i Gran Turismo, 550i X drive Gran Turismo and all 6 series models.
    rrusso1, thanks for the info.
  • 03qx03qx Member Posts: 91
    How long after the event did you receive the email with the code ?
  • lakilaki Member Posts: 2
    Hi, new to this forum and new to bmw . Have an offer from a dealer on a new 535xi with premium package and navi. The msrp is $56,875. The dealer wants to sell it for $47,451.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    LOWER.

2010 is an outdated style.
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    2 weeks.