Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bett12bett12 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, kwop. I am still comparing vehicles, down to an Infiniti g37 or maybe even a Bimmer 3 series (too small?) but am leaning heavily towards the 528xi.
  • andynn002andynn002 Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    I have a current 3 series lease with bmw which is gonna expire in Feb 2011. So I thought of using the bmw pull ahead program and return the 328i. Thought of upgrading to 5 series..drove 535i and 528i..535i is bloody good but cant afford the 8k difference and really think its not worth for the extra power which Im not gonna use anyway here. with 328i i average 1 speeding ticket every 3 months :-)
    Now when I talked to my dealer he was very quick in getting me a deal in 528i as below:-
    2011 528i jet black,ipod adapter,heated front seats and satellite. thats it, very minimum options..60 months lease at 4.9% APR monthly payment is 733 ..car cost is $43950 and he says its 500$ more than the invoice. Is it a good deal?
    I asked him if i could get felxible APR rates but for 48 and 60 they have 4.9% only. If I opt for 36 months then 0.9% is available...
    2011 535i jetblack,ipod adapter,heated front seats,satellite and navigation for $51000. It got very expensive :( and I cannot afford it monthly at $847
    My question is should i lease or buy it? IM planning to use this for more than 3 years so thought will buy this one.
    Is that 528i a good deal? Will they lower the APR%?
    Thank you so much for all the replies and please do guide me..
    Thank You !
    Andy
    sorry..i meant 60 months finance..
    Please help with your inputs and advice.
    2011 528i jetblack + Heated Front Seats+Satellite Radio+Ipod Adapter Dealer quote $43950 says its 500$ above invoice.
    Any idea?
    Thanks for all the replies
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi Tuff
    I also have a 2007 530i, bought it in 2009, the vehicle had 24K miles on it. Have Premium, sports and NAV on it. Paid $36,200. Warranty runs until June 2012. I love the vehicle. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RFT's on it. They look like the original tires to me. The only thing I have had happen to them is the first cold snap, I get the display on the iDrive that the tire pressure is low. So I take it to a tire place and they put air in and that's that. All set. The roads up here in CT are nothing to write home about either.Good luck with the car, I love mine.
  • ortho25ortho25 Member Posts: 1
    Need advice on upcoming purchase. Here's the deal before me:

2011 528i w Premium 1, Premium 2 and Sport Pkg.

My price - $52175 less $1500

My question - How does price look? I'm located in SoCal.

Also, I have $46k in BuyBack money coming to help pay for this car. My thought is to do BMW Select at 0.9 for 36 months and pay the balloon of $30456 at the end with the money from the buyback set aside in a separate account. The net cost to me is about $9k of my money. With Select I will pay about $1200 in interest with a $743 payment versus $1578 payment at 0.9 for 3 years ant interest of about $800 doind a conventional loan.
  • juanajjuanaj Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm ordering a 535 with metalic paint, premium, premium 2, Drivers assistance package, side/top cameras, multi-contour seats, and the smart phone for 57,330. They tell me it's $200 above invoice. Anyone able to get better deals? I'm in socal
  • stratapropstrataprop Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know the total amount of the ADDITIONAL FEES that are part of the invoice price for a BMW 535i in Southern California? The invoice price (according to Edmunds) for a 535i with Premium, Premium 2, metallic paint is $53,105, plus possible additional fees for advertising. The sticker price is $57,725. I have been told by one dealer that these additional fees (are they called "Maco" fees?) total $580, but then told by another dealer that such fees total only $380. What is the correct amount?ý Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    MACO and training..

Training is either $180 or $200... It's the same on every car, nationwide, I think...

MACO is a regional advertising charge... It varies... I've seen anywhere from $250-$500... but, right around $400, most often... I'd guess that the guy who says $580 is pretty much on the money.

Some BMW dealers don't pay MACO, but they are few and far between.. Maybe some places like Buffalo?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stratapropstrataprop Member Posts: 19
    Thanks.
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    Please let me know if $31500 is a good price. Car is in Long Island:
    2007 530XI 6-speed auto, 27K miles, sport, premium, and cold weather package, new tires and brake pads (front and rear). Car was a CPO bought by the current seller.
  • jazzy15jazzy15 Member Posts: 9
    I think you could do better. You could get a 2008 with that mileage for about 33-35KCPO easily. The 07 should have more of a concession IMHO. I would shoot for 29K.
  • jdbmwjdbmw Member Posts: 3
    Seems kinda high for an 07...I'd try to offer $27-28K, which I think is fairer.
  • newmdxbyernewmdxbyer Member Posts: 4
    I live in VA and just saw that the 5 series is priced at invoice on the American Express car buying site. May not be the case in other regions, but it's a good point to start negotiating off of. I ordered my 550 right when the car was available back in May and paid about $1,500 over invoice using the same program. Dealer wouldn't move below it since they didn't even have any new 5's on their lot yet when I was ordering.
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    My guess is it's not invoice, but $1500 above invoice, because there is the current BMW $1500 incentive. Invoice would mean, in effect, $1500 below invoice.
    Can you clarify?
  • blackbimmer1blackbimmer1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am based in North Texas and planning to lease a 528i. I am going to do the rounds at dealers tomorrow AM but wanted to have a price in mind to negotiate. Can you experts help with what should a great to good pricing look like in North Texas area, especially looking for the following numbers as listed below.

My config is 528i with Black Metallic, Leathertte, Navigation and Heated front seats. MSRP as build is $48,500 and invoice is $44,700 (from edmunds TMV tool). This car will need to be ordered. I would like to close the deal before 1/3 to take advantage of $1500 holiday credit. Greatly appreciate quick responses! Thank you in advance.

1. Base cap cost (negotiated price before the $1500 holiday credit)
    2. Residual value
    3. Money factor
    Sorry forgot to add that I am looking for 3 yr / 36,000 miles lease. Also, being a first time BMW customer will I have a higher MF than the standard Dec going rate?
  • tlw5486tlw5486 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I am in the process of negotiating a price on a 535i with metallic paint, conv pack, prem pack, prem2 pack and sport pack. I am purchasing vs leasing, and I am not eligible for the holiday cash since I'm not financing through BMW. The MSRP is 62,125, and they are willing to come $4100 off. Is that a good price? Thanks!
    Car_man and everyone else,

I am in North Texas (pay full sales tax) and first time BMW customer. This is what I am being offered for 2011 528i - 36 mos / 12K miles per yr. Black metallic, Leatherette, Nav, Heated Seats. They will be ordering the car for me.

MSRP: $48,527
    Invoice (per TMV): $44,680

Offer from dealer: $46,586 (before the $1,500 holiday credit)
    MF: 2.7 (with a $700 security deposit)
    Down payment: $3,000 (excluding first month payment)
    Monthly payment: $699

I am bit surprised with the high selling price and MF being offered as compared to what I have been reading here where ppl say that the selling price should be around invoice (before holiday credit) with 2.3 MF.

Is this is a good, bad or a fair deal? Should I pull the trigger?

Please help! Quick responses will be appreciated as I am trying to close something before Jan 3rd.

Thanks
  • reg17reg17 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'd be grateful if someone knowledgeable advise if this is a decent price in CT?

2008 535xi cpo with 26,500 miles

Premium, sports (with multi-contour seats) and cold weather packages
    Nav
    Park distance sensors
    Logic 7 stereo
    Comfort access
    CPO warranty ends 12/2013

Price: $36,500 (excluding $1,500 credit on CPO scheme that expired today)
  • gr8nrggr8nrg Member Posts: 19
    Just took delivery of 528i (ordered in November) for $2000 BELOW invoice (holiday cash included) - now that's a steal!...so, you can always do better.
  • mrcampmrcamp Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at the 535i Xdrive with the following options (I am in The NW surburbs of Chicago zip 60102)

- Premium Package
    - Premium Package 2

Invoice - $55,185
    MSRP - $59,975
    TMV - $57,481

Purchase is within the next 3 weeks. I plan on using the invoice as my negotiating point. May be to possible negotiate to around $50K - $52K. Is this a possibility. Can others with similar specs please post what they paid? This is not a lease. I will buy with about 50% finance and 50% cash upfront.

Thanks
  • dasyrhddasyrhd Member Posts: 9
    In the market for a 08 528i. I have found several CPOs with <30k miles for about $29-30k. Just wondering what kind of OTD offers I should be giving for these vehicles? I was expecting to offer in the range of $29-30k OTD. Anyone else recently purchased a 08?
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    You should be looking for about 6-7% off of MSRP. A good deal would be about $55K. I bought a 535 x drive in December 2010 with a MSRP of $59300 which I got for $53900 before the $1500 holiday cash. It was end of year so the pressure was on to make sales targets so.....I was going to order and wait till January/Feb to receive, but they were able to get a car on it's way over from the Motherland.

It doesn't matter whether you are leasing or buying. You should be driving toward the lowest price you can get.

Good Luck!
    I'm STILL waiting on delivery of 2011 535i. The first delivery was stick shift, which I did not order. I've been very patient with the reorder and delayed delivery. I had more attractive offers for Mercedes and Audi but decided to stay with BMW due to the good safety ratings on the 2011, but with ambivalence due to past problems with BMWs.
    CARMAN, please provide the Feb MF (and residual) for 2011 535i 3 yr lease (I assume 2 yr is still cost-prohibitive), 12000 miles, 15000 miles, and advise if lower MF available for BMW loyalty/owners. Many thanks.
    (Also, my understanding with dealer was $1500 BMW credit for ordering in December AND the t MF would be either Dec MF OR MF when car arrives -- WHICHEVER IS LOWER. I would hope that understanding would be honored.)
  • bmwbhpbmwbhp Member Posts: 2
    Think twice... I took delivery of 550i '11 In Nov. m-package. Had issues with grinding in the front end which was noticed after only 200 miles. See other threads on Bimmerfest. BMW needs to proactively reach out to all current owners and provide fix and not expect owners to waste tons of time while the car sits in service bay while most of the dealers are perplexed with what to do... Some owners are seeking lemon law resolution as an alternative. Think twice.. If you do not get Dynamic handling you should be o.k. Benz E550 nice alternative and a whole lot cheaper...
    I did NOT order dynamic handling.
    This time, didn't even get sports package -- it didn't seem to make sense.
    I ordered good seats separately, and high tech items like heads up.
  • topaz9986topaz9986 Member Posts: 8
    mrcamp,

Do you mind telling me what state you got that deal in (dont think you are able to tell me dealers name)? The deal you got was really good but at this point I just am looking for 6% to 7% which is touch to find at my local dealer and there is little competition.

I am willing to travel!
  • mrcampmrcamp Member Posts: 7
    I am assuming you are referring to my post below. I am in the North West suburb of Chicago.

I agree. Competition plays a key role in how one can negotiate. I payed 6.5% below MSRP here in a suburb of Chicago. The dealer first came back with 5.5%, then I told him the other dealer 20 miles away is offering more than that, which the actually are, but the are further out than this dealer who is only 5 miles away.

I bought a 535ix with premium, premium2.
  • jmo5jmo5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2010 535 ix with about 6000 miles, premium, cold weather and sport packages. Ask is $48000 which is close to the TMV. What are your thoughts on this price? I've been buying cars for 25 years and it's not been my experience that dealers (other than Carmax) set their price this close to what the cars are actually selling. Thanks for your input
  • juanajjuanaj Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I was wondering about people's experiences purchasing extended warranties/service contracts. My dealer is pushing a warranty to extend to 6 yr/85,0000 miles by Easy Care with either $100 or $250 deductible. (They also recommend it as it covers tires/wheels, but unlike the tires/wheels policy there's a big fat deductible). By itself costs 4226/3671 for the 100/250 deductible.

Then there is the extended service to 6 years/ 100,000 miles, which is $2800.

If I get both there's a discount for a total of $5466.

I plan on owning the car at least 5-6 years.

Does anyone have any idea of whether either or both make economic sense? the dealer told me that to replace brakes/pads/rotors, which must be done at least every other year, costs $2600-$3000. If this is the case, then the extended service would make sense

They also say that it increases resale value.

The are also pushing a product called resistall enviroguard to protect the paint for $700.

Thanks for your responses.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    1) Brakes are expensive.. I'd say more like $800-$1200. Of course, they are covered for the first 4yr/50K, so no cost to you... Every other year? My rear brakes were done at 30K miles, but now at 48K and still on the original fronts... I'd say my experience is typical.

2) Those are big numbers for just two extra years of coverage.. If they can knock off $1000 or more, if you buy both plans, just think how much mark-up they are putting in them to start with... (and, how much more there probably still is).

3) They also say that it increases resale value. How so? You plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years... those plans expire at the end of six years... they will be worthless to the next buyer.

4) The are also pushing a product called resistall enviroguard to protect the paint for $700. Pure profit adder...

Basically, over $6K for two years of extra coverage.... I think I'd rather put my $6K in the bank for four years, then use it as needed for repairs and maintenance for the next two years. Plus, you'll have the advantage of taking your four-year-old car anywhere you want for service.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jbob1jbob1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive with Cold Weather and Premium packages and navigation. I live in the Chicago area. Any guidance on deepest discount I might be able to negotiate off MSRP. Plus, are there any factory to dealer incentives out on this model?
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Since they are already lying to you about replacing brake pads every other year I wouldn't give them too much credit. It all depends on your driving style (highway = less braking, less driving = less braking). I did not have to change my front-brake pads till 100k miles and only needed pads (not rotor). I bought the OEM brake pads from dealer with 20% discount and have independent BMW mechanic installed it. It's about $250 total.

I believe you can also buy the extended service/warranty right before your current 4 year / 50k miles is up. If your car is a lemon prior to 4 year /50k you would want to trade it in.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    Remember you are negotiating UP from invoice. However, as I mentioned on a previous post, I was able to get about 7% off of MSRP in December BEFORE the $1500 customer cash for a 535 x drive with navi, cold and premium. My dealer threw in satellite radio and fold down rear seat and 2 final lease payments to make the deal. I'm paying $679 mo for 36mo 12K/yr.

I'm in NJ where there are many dealers to chose from, so I would think Chicago area would allow shopping around.

Good Luck!
  • powertrainpowertrain Member Posts: 12
    Hello there,

Are there any incentives in March for a 535i lease?

What is the current residual and MF for a 10,000 mile 36 month lease?

Thank you...
  • rajeev_rairajeev_rai Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    Folks,

Looking got validation on pricing in the MN - Minneapolis area for CPO 2008 535ix - 31700 miles with new tires , lease return with Nav, Premium pkg, Cold weather pkg, Heater Rear seat and Park assist. (No premium sound).....

The offer is around $33,900.....

Should i be buying the $2200 maintenance plan to go with this... for peace of mind

KRK
  • stankalstankal Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a 2011 535i cold & premium packages, dark wood trim & iPod and USB adapter. It's a dealer service car with 7,700 miles on it. It has been in use for about 9 months. The sticker price is $53,725 and they are offering it to me for $45,200.

How good of a deal is that? I guess the dealer gets a certain amount of money each month they use this vehicle as a service loaner, but I don't know how much. Do they still have some room to go down and still make some money from it? The sales guy was pretty clear that that was his bottom price (he did budge $500 from his first offer after I asked him to take it down $2,000)

Also, what's your opinion on the dealer service cars? I've never bought one before. This one looks in excellent shape and seems like good savings from the brand new one.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks!
  • stankalstankal Member Posts: 5
    So, either nobody is buying these cars anymore or Edmunds forums are not the place to get pricing opinions anymore. Just noticed that the last post is from more than a month ago.
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    Good question. I am seeing more 2008-2010 BMWs on the road, but not 2011s. This forum really helped me work a good deal on my 535i a couple of years ago. Maybe others are lurking . . .
  • jazzy15jazzy15 Member Posts: 9
    You did not even give it 24 hours! ???

I have not been in the market since last summer, so I cannot comment on current, but it looks substantially under invoice. My advice is to walk from their price and offer a few thousand less, and see how far they will move. Their bottom line will change over time.....but the price being a fair amoutn less than invoice when the 12's are a ways off sounds pretty good.....
  • dudeatbaydudeatbay Member Posts: 1
    Just now signed a contract for BMW 535xi (metallic) with Premium, Premium2 and cold weather package. MSRP was $61K+ but managed to get it at $55K.. Edmunds TMV is around $57K.

Let me know what you guys think of the price..

Also do you guys recommend the BMW tire and wheel optional coverage ($2K seems high). Appreciate any help on this...
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    I ran your 535xi on Truecar.com and it states an excellent price is $57,140. And that dealer cost is $55,733. (msrp was $61,575).

Not sure what incentives are out there, but if that is a straight up deal, you got a very good one.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Today I pick my 2008 528i with 30K, centeral Jersey , CPO for $26,300 with 2.8% APR loan , the car got extend warrenty to 100K / 6 years. Could you please advice if that is good deal? i still can retrun it ;)
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Very good deal. Buyout on most 2008 3 series is around that.
  • bikerrnbikerrn Member Posts: 6
    I am considering the purchase of a 2009 CPO 528i with premium package and NAV. Dealer has retail price listed at $39,991. My question is where should I start my offer? Car is located in S.C. I'm thinking I should start somewhere around $35,500. If anyone can lend me some advise I would appreciate it. I've not purchased a CPO before. I'm a lexus driver but want to by a BMW as a second car. Thanks!
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2011
    I'll opine that your number is fair. However, how many miles are on the car? If the tires are worn, ask the dealership to put on a set.

[When we bought a CPO 2008 BMW 535i in 2009, I had not even noticed the tires on the car. I drove another car, a 550 I think, and the 550 had worn tires, which I did notice and mentioned to the salesman. Unsolicited, the salesman put new tires on the 535 I wanted and that helped seal the deal. They also threw in new floor mats in both carpet and the heavy duty rubber.]

Good luck.

Good luck!
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    If your timeline and finances allow it, consider European delivery. I did on mine, picking it up in Munich in late April this year (2011). Now waiting for it to be re-deliverd here in the states. Munich is a nice place to visit, and there's all sorts of things to do and see not that far away, so it is a nice vacation. You can legally drive the car at much higher speeds than you can in the states (but keep in mind the break-in period is 1200-miles/2,000Km), and you shouldn't exceed 100mph/162kmph during that time. They treat you well at the delivery point and include some 'freebies' as well (credit in the gift shop, restaurants, engraved key fob, use of the lounge, museum entrance, and factory tour). If you want to tour the factory (essentially across the street), you need to make reservations in advance. This is the factory where they make the 3-series, but is representative of all models.

Also, consider that if you order the car, verses taking one off the lot, regardless of whether you do European delivery or not, you can also take delivery at the performance center in SC, where they'll provide a free night in the hotel, meals, and a day of training at the track at no cost to you (you have to get there and home, though). Also, there are certain options choices that are only available if you order the car verses taking one the dealer ordered for his inventory (no 'new' options, only certain option choices).

Most dealers will also deal off the European delivery discount. A European delivery sale does not come out of the dealer's allotment, they don't get hit for any advertising fee or floorplan costs, and it counts as a sale which helps for the next year's allotment, so it's a win-win situation where they don't have to make as much on the sale since it ends up being an 'extra' sale for the dealership and you get a better price than you might otherwise. The biggest hassle with getting to Munich now is the surcharges the airlines are adding - this is often more than the airfare. They have a promo with Luftansa where you buy one ticket, and the second one is 'free'. But, you have to pay the fuel surcharge and security fees, and that added up to over $500 from Boston-Munich. Hardly free, but still a lot better than also paying the full fare.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Just got 2008 528i CPO with 31K on it, the car got extend warranty until 2013 and now being offered Extended maintenance program until 2013 ( 2 years ) for $1950 ( discounted from $2300), the program will cover everything except the Entrainment system and NAV. The Dealer Service Person recommended as none of the brakes were replaced and he told me a it would cost$1800 beside all Oils, belts and normal services , etc.. , I am planning to drive a 25K a year on this car, any advice if his numbers are correct?
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Just wanted to inquire from you seasoned folks about a CPO 2008 535i with 28,300 miles on it. Asking price is $35,900. I offered $36K including tax, title, lic, which is about $2K. Car has Premium, Sport, Navigation, Rear shades, Distance control. I have to also drive about 250 miles to get it.

deal, or no deal? :confuse: