Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You found a stick-shift 5-series, new.. at the dealer? That has to be one in a thousand.. Someone must have canceled on an ordered car...

$15K off sounds like a good deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    Hello, a dealership in my area has a leftover 2011 535i xdrive with an MSRP of $59,475. I was quoted a selling price of $48,000 before tax and motor vehicle fees. The car comes with the following options: Black Sapphire Paint, Convenience Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, and Head-Up Display. The car does not have navigation, but that doesn't really bother me. This car is new and was never a demo. So is $48,000 a fair price? I'm trying to pull the trigger before the month ends. Thank you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview people who bought new cars during the month of March 2012. Please email pr@edmunds.com with the make and model of your purchase and your daytime contact info no later than Monday, April 2, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    Sounds good to me. I wish I could find a car like that.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    Did you buy it?
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • addictionsfaddictionsf Member Posts: 8
    I am sorry i don't know where to post this, so apologize for double post.

Trying to lease a 2012 528i m-sport

currently there are the following rebates
    BMWNA - $1500
    Edmunds - $1500 (valid for me until jun6)
    Team Drive - $1000 starting may 29th
    BMWCCA - $1000

all together the rebates are $5000 so i am using that as a downpayment
    and extra $1320.00 as a drive off

BMW 528i m-sport

(500 over invoice)
    MSRP / sticker price $58,145.00
    Selling Price $54,570.00
    after taxes $59,344.88
    Down payment $6320 (rebates plus tax license...)
    Lease Term (months) 36
    Residual Value % 61
    Money Factor 0.0019
    Lease $ $355.04
    Interest $ per Month $159.07
    Payment NO Tax $514.11
    Payment After Tax $557.81

please let me know if this is the best price i can get around bay area or somewhere where i can save some $$$
    edited April 2012
    Great deal, the only option would be to post MSDs which will bring the MF down.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    yep thought that as well....

7 MSDs the
    MF --> .00141 - am i right?
    payment becomes 513.30 i believe

Thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    your bmwcca rebate comes in the form of a check from bmwna. You need to fill out a form on the bmwcca website, print it out, & mail it in along with a copy of your lease agreement.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

yes i am aware of that, I am basically just upfronting all the rebate money and then getting them back which is ok, since i am just trying to get as cheap monthly payment as possible :)

but as the deal sounds can I get cheaper in any way?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I don't know if you should use the rebates as a "down payment." Why not just deduct them as part of the car's selling price?

Also, why are you paying the sales tax upfront? You should roll the taxes into the payment. If the car gets stolen or totaled at any point, that money is gone & good luck getting it back from the state.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hi,
    i guess you are right
    some rebates are directly from the car selling price, and some are as CAP cost reduction (my writing is just bad)

i am not paying tax on total, my form just has it on there :) but i pay tax monthly with every payment

• jayshruthijayshruthi Member Posts: 1
    I am trying lease 2012 5 series 528xi
    How can I find BMWNA $1500 rebate, can you send me link
    Which one, the Edmunds rebate, BMWCA rebate, USAA rebate? BMWUSA discount is different and given when you buy or lease the car.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • marinskasmarinskas Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2012
    Can anyone help by providing more information about these four discounts PLEASE:
    "BMWNA - $1500
    Edmunds - $1500 (valid for me until jun6)
    Team Drive - $1000 starting may 29th
    BMWCCA - $1000 "

I could not find any info about any of these discounts on Edmunds or BMWUSA.... Any help much appreciated.
    Boy am I glad that I found this forum...

Also - any idea when 2013 BMW 528 will come out and what kind of deals may be offered for left over 2012 BMW 528 at that time? Is it worth waiting? :confuse:
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    BMWNA - $1500 >> You should get this from your dealer
    Edmunds - $1500 (valid for me until jun6) >> When you brows around on the edmunds site looking for similar cars in this price range the coupon pops up. I dont know if it does any more or not. Its just luck I guess.
    Team Drive - $1000 starting may 29th >> If you signed up for the BMW 3 series Team Drive event and participate you will get a coupon for $1k
    BMWCCA - $1000 >> Join the BMWCCA (http://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate)

The 2013 model should arrive in the US around late July~ Aug time frame. You should see some more wiggle room with cars you find in the dealer lot for 2012. One of my friends got a 3 series 1k below invoice during this time last year. It maybe a different story for a 5 series, I dont really know. But overall you should be able to get a better discount than what you can get currently MSRP to Invoice. Its a personal call i guess, since you are limiting your selection to whats left over on the lot. My train of thought is its not worth the 1k you save when ur left over with an ugly ducking that no one wanted (the 2012 model) unless its spec'd out the exact way you want.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You have to be a member of BMWCCA for one full year, before getting club rebates... no exceptions..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xbn983xbn983 Member Posts: 2
    Hello-

New to the forum and spending time learning from previous posts. I am here doing my homework on a 2012 535xi with the following config:
    2012 535xi
    Black Metallic Paint
    Dark Wood Trim
    LCSW Black Dakota Leather
    ZWC Cold Weather Package
    ZMP M Sport Package
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZPS Premium Sound
    ZTP Technology Package
    6NR BMW Apps
    Net Total = $66650.00
    destination adds $895

The dealer has three of these now for about five months or more. Each of the three have very similar configurations; for example, one other has the addition of ceramic controls. I don't believe any of the three have been driven.

I have done some research at another website and it suggests a fair price is $62255. That is $4395 off, which translates to 6.6% off. However, I have read some other posts here which suggest they were given a larger discounted price. I am therefore beginning to think that I could potentially get this car for less since they have had these cars on the lot for 5 months and in a few months the 2013's should start to show up.

I have been patient with my car shopping and I am not impulsive. The dealer knows I am this way. I have talked about placing an order in the past because I am picky and the specific config listed above would be different if I did place an order. However, up to now I have not placed an order. After talking to the dealer again recently they suggested they would be willing to deal with me on one of the cars on their lot. I could try the path of looking into a deal on the config I listed above, but I don't know for certain yet if I am solid on that car. I'm just looking into what is a fair price on that car with the consideration the dealer has three of them now for a while and they may be willing to deal on one of them with me. So, what is a fair price for the config listed above?

Thanks!
  • guycar007guycar007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I bought a 2012 BMW 535i last week with the following options:

Cold weather pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Tech Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Paddle shifters
    BMW Apps
    Sirus Radio

Price paid - $56500 + Tax. MSRP is $64000. Is this a good deal; what do you guys think?
    Thank you kanchis for very helpful information.
    I am going to kick my self in the rear for allowing BMW CCA laps...

A couple follow up questions:
    BMWNA $1,500 - is this same as financing credit? Cause that one expired at the end of April. I typically track them on Edmunds under incentives and rebates. Or is this a different one, and if so - where can it be tracked?
    Edmunds $1,500 - was that when you click on BMW ad while browsing Edmunds, or something different?
    Team Drive - just signed up for BMW Drive for Team USA and scheduled my drive with 5 series. There was no mention of $1,000. Did I do something wrong, or do I just need to ask after the drive?

Again - thanks so much for all the info!!!
  • desertkingdesertking Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Thanks a lot for your information. Do you mind if you can share a little bit more on where did you get the deal at? I'm currently looking for a 535i with similar packages you got and dealer quoted me an invoice price. But yours surely are 2000 bucks below invoice. I'm wondering if you could share some more information and perhaps any price sheet list so I may get some benefits too?

Thank you so much!

J
  • desertkingdesertking Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Thanks a lot for your information. Do you mind if you can share a little bit more on where did you get the deal at? I'm currently looking for a 535i with similar packages you got and dealer quoted me an invoice price. But yours surely are 2000 bucks below invoice. I'm wondering if you could share some more information and perhaps any price sheet list so I may get some benefits too?

Thank you so much!

J
  • guycar007guycar007 Member Posts: 2
    This is from a dealer in Bay Area, CA. The invoice price seems to be bloated; other dealers in this area also quoted 57-58K. The purchase price included the 1500 option credit BMW is offering this month + contest credit or something.

BTW - if you don't have an iPhone or not a fan of iSomething and has Android or other smart phones don't get the BMWApps if you can find a vehicle without it. The option only works with iPhone -- sucks to pay $250 for nothing.
    You will get it after the drive. More info on bimmerfest.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    You can check dealer cost on Edmunds or bmwconfig.com.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • jpocherjpocher Member Posts: 2
    Just got the "final" offer on a 2009 535 xDrive with 48.5K miles. Premium Package, Cold Weather package, Nav, park assist. Lowest they could go is $33K, with 1.9% 48 month financing.
    Looking at alternatives it seems OK... but is it?
    The dealership is in Houston and I live in Austin (3 hours away).
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2012
    BMWNA $1500 is the option credit that they are offering currently. Edmunds is usually good about updating their records to show the most recent rebates. If not go the BMWNA website and check under leases.
    http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2012/5/535isedan/OfferDetail.asp- - - x?NAModelCode=125C&OfferType=2&regiontypeid=4

Edmunds $1500 is something that I personally never got, but heard numerous forum members getting it, so I recon its valid. Dont know when it expires though.

Team Drive event: I'm assuming you havent completed your drive yet. Normally you should expect an email from BMWNA confirming your appointment (i got mine within 3 days of the my scheduled time) that tells you about the rebate. Here's what mine said....

Quote"And as a thank you for registering and attending the event, you’ll receive a $1,000 BMW Drive for Team USA Allowance, applicable toward the purchase or lease of a new BMW. Only event participants will be eligible for this exclusive offer.** "END QUOTE

From my previous experience participating in the launch event for the 6 series they sent me a rebate code through email. I'm guessing thats still valid these days too.

BMWCCA membership needs to be valid for an year before the delivery of the car. Thats a $1000 rebate.
    http://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate
    Car man confirmed that you need to be a member for at least an year before you can use the rebate benefits.

Hope this helps.
    With the 2013 5 series coming soon, some dealers are selling the 2012 stock under invoice.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • xbn983xbn983 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, zoombie99. I was figuring that myself, but I had not yet seen others specifically say that. It helps a bit for my post on May 12, 2012 (7:56 pm).
    zoombie99 - can you be more speciic - can you share exact deals that people are getting that you know of?
    Some people on bimmerfest claim that they got a 2,500 coupon off a 2012 including the 5 series. I never got the email even though I have a 3 series for my wife.

If you go to the Drive for team USA event at your local dealer, you will get a 1,000 off email certificate.

One dealer on bimmerfest claims he will sell the 5 series at his cost which is lower than invoice. He is in Calif.

My suggestion would be to go to the largest dealer in your area with the largest inventory. As always, you will get a better deal at the end of the month.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • ditrasetmanditrasetman Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone. I have a question about the BMW Executive Preference Program (EPP) also known as the Fleet purchasing program, which allows me to buy a BMW through my company at a discount. Does anyone know about it? Is it a good deal? For a 5 series, the price is $3000 less than the "Dealer invoice/wholesale" cost.

Here is the quote I received back in December for a 2011 528i premium 1 car (price: $44,895 minus $3,000 (EPP incentive), plus $615 (pre-delivery inspection), plus $500 (MACO - not sure what that is), plus $599 (dealer fee), plus $250 (electronic registration fee), plus $2,616 (Florida tax), equals $46,733.22. Now, for a 2012, he said that it would be the same break down, plus the increase in price as a result of the base price of the 2012's being a bit more than the 2011's.

Is this a good deal? Are all of those fees to be expected?
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Ditrasetman, I have purchased 3 BMW's and if you get 3k BELOW invoice, you are DOING great! I paid 32k for a used 2007 530i with 18k miles and just a few options (back in 2009).

ARe you getting options?
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    zombie99- can u tell me where you get access to this epp program? can i ask where u work
    edited May 2012
    Good evening,

I am about to purchase a 2012 528i (just the premium one package), and I had a few questions before I bought it:

1) The MSRP on the car is $50,020.00. Through the EPP/Fleet Program of my company, I am getting it for $50,500 total (which includs the 7 year (3 years more than standard) 100,000 mile warranty ($3,490), tax, tag, title and all dealer fees). The price is $3,000 under dealer invoice. Is that a good price?

2) The 2012's are about to (or already have) end production, and in July the 2013's will begin production for delivery in late August, early September. Should I wait to get the newer model year? My understanding is that there is no actual difference in the car, besides a $600 higher base MSRP as well as a $400 higher premium one package (because it will now be bundled with the the satellite radio - which I do not need).

3) My 528i does not have navigation/technology package/bmw apps. I use my iPhone/Siri for all of my navigation needs. Am I making a big mistake by not getting it?
    Anyone?
  • tranavtranav Member Posts: 32
    I've just read your post. So I don't know if you have bought your 2012 528i or not. In my experience, the end of the year is the best time to buy car if you can wait.
    I've bought my 2012 528i back in Dec 2011, the MSRP was $53,395. Note that Back in Dec 2011, there were still brand new 2011 5 series on available for sale. And I paid $50,500 out the door including all taxes and license fee with 0.9% financing. But my car doesn't have the extended maintenance and warranty like your offer up to 100K miles. Mine is just regular maintenance and warranty of 4 years or 50k Miles. Oh I am from Southern California
    Hope my info helps
    What was your invoice price - did you end up paying below invoice?
    tranav, I have not bought it yet. The warranty I was including in my price is the 7 year extended warranty (so decrease $3,490 from my price to compare it to yours). The reason I am getting the car so cheap, is that when you buy a BMW through the EPP/Corporate Fleet program it is a set price, for every car, all the time. For instance, all EPP purchases of a 528 will be at $3,000 below invoice. So If I wait to buy a 2013 528, I will get the exact same deal as I am getting now (however the car will inherently be more expensive because the MSRP and invoice is $600 more for the 2013's).

I keep going back and forth between the 2012 that is coming in for me and ordering a 2013 which will probably be delivered in September. Everyone is telling me that no one would ever want to buy my 528 when I am ready to sell it because they will expect the navigation. Also, I am a techy guy and I love my iphone as well as pandora. That said, the BMW Apps might be a must for me so I can easily stream pandora through my iphone while driving. Thoughts? I am also being told that if I am thinking about getting a 528 with navigation/apps, I HAVE to wait for the 2013 model because the navigation system and the idrive is being completely redone. Is that your understanding? (I would not likely pay extra in the 2013 for the new digital instrument cluster/speedometer display).
    Anyone know if the new MFID is in fact going to be in the new 2013?
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    ditrasetman,

This is a good deal. I sold a new 2012 528xi last month through the EPP. All those fees can be expected and most are normal fees. I'm not sure what the $500 MACO is though since MD doesn't have a fee like that. I hope this helps you about the fees
    There should definately be plenty of 2012 528's available with Navigation/Tech package and BMW apps unless you want a specific color combo and options. Also, I haven't heard of the navigation system or idrive being redone for the 2013 model
    My friends,

I am engaged in a huge debate with myself as to what I should do. I am going to buy a 528i through BMW's Executive Preference Program (EPP), which allows me to purchase the vehicle through my company (since it has over 500 employees) for $3,000 below dealer invoice - no questions asked (and no additional negotiation permitted).

Here are the two options I am debating between:

2013 528i
    Premium Package
    (316 - Power tailgate, 322 - Comfort Access system, 655 - Satellite radio, LC - Dakota Leather)
    Technology Package
    (609 - Navigation system, 610 - Head-up Display, 615 - Online Information Services, 6NF -Smartphone Integration, 6NR - BMW Apps, 6UH - Real Time Traffic Information, 6WA - Instrument cluster with extended contents)
    MSRP: $53,795
    Invoice: $49,710
    Grand Total: $50,612.60 ($49,710 (invoice) - $3,000 (EPP discount) X 6% (Sales Tax) + $1,100 (dealer fees/tag))

OR

2012 528i
    Premium Package
    (316 Power tailgate, 319 - Universal Garage Door Opener, 508 - Park Distance Control, LC - Dakota Leather)
    Technology Package
    (3AG - Rear-view camera, 609 Navigation system)
    & (separately added on) 6NR - BMW Apps
    MSRP: $51,925
    Invoice: $48,000
    Grand Total $48,880.00 ($48,000 (invoice) - $3,000 (EPP discount) x 6% (Sales Tax) + $1,100 (dealer fees/tag))

Which 528i would you buy?

Ok, the most immediately apparent difference is the price: the 2013 cost $1,700 more than the 2012 (part of that is due to the $600 increase in MSRP for the 2013, and part of it is the price of the packages)

But, as you can see, the packages come with DIFFERENT items:
    -The 2013 Premium package comes with satellite radio (which I won't use - I'm a big Pandora fan), as well as the Comfort Access System - I'm not sure if I'm going to use that. But, unfortunately, the 2013 loses the Park Distance Control. What's more important?
    -The 2013 Technology package loses the Rear-view camera (which is a shame), but gains the Head-up Display, which according to some people on the forum, is the most amazing thing since sliced bread.
    -Also, the 2013 comes with the newly updated (hardware and software) navigation system (which is discussed in length here:http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691429). This is important to me, as my understanding is that the new system will be better and faster. I'm a big technology buff.
    -And of course (still in debate), is the possibility (albeit unlikely) that the new digital multifunction instrument display (instrument cluster) might be on the new 2013 (see http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690544) but it is not looking like it will be in the July builds.

I'm leaning towards buying the 2013, especially considering that the 2012 production run has ended, and BMW is obviously going to try to unload the remainder of them at somewhat of a discount prior to the arrival of the 2013's (but unfortunately my deal through the EPP program always remains the same - $3,000 below invoice).

THOUGHTS? Your comments are GREATLY appreciated.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Wouldn't you be better off not using the deal and negotiating with the dealer directly through their internet dept? You should be able to do better than $3k under invoice in this market on a 2012. There are a few incentives out there for this one last time i checked.
    Coupedncal, anyone: is it possible to negotiate below invoice AND then combine negotiated price with Manufacturer's rebates, Team USA rebate, and other rebates? In other words if one negotiates $3k off the invoice - can he still apply additional discounts potentially adding up to another $4k, which would equal to $7k off the invoice??? If that's the case - this would be the best deal ever! :shades:
    Remember on the 2012's you have the $1500 Option Allowance and if you already own a BMW, the $1500 Loyalty Cash. Both can be applied with the EPP Program. So you should be able to get $6000 under invoice on a 2012.
    edited June 2012
    Jason, are you sure that cash allowances can be combined with the EPP?
    This is from the EPP document "While the programs that are available and applicable will vary based on the time of purchase, certain cash discount programs (i.e. model build out allowances) will not be available in conjunction with the national EPP program."

Also, in another EPP document I have, it says "Fleet pricing for Cash purchases or FMC acquisitions cannot be combined with any retail sales support programs, retail invoice or option credits."

Lastly, I have USAA insurance, and I believe there are some potential cash benefits for that as well, but I am also not sure if they can be combined with EPP.

And by the way, I am buying the car - not sure if that matters.
  • el_duderino_el_duderino_ Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted a money factor of .0225 and Residual of 56% for a 2012 535i 36mo/15k lease. Why such a high MF?

Also, the dealer only offered $5k below MSRP ($1k over invoice), which I don't feel was too great of a deal, especially with the '13's around the corner.

What do you think will change once the 2013's hit the lot?
  • jk7jk7 Member Posts: 36
    Leased a 535i Deep Sea Blue with Sport, premium, premium sound, tech, HUD, surround cameras.

Price was about 65k MSRP. Ended up at invoice price minus 1500 option allowance plus another 1500 coupon that BMW mailed me (Which I ended up getting right before I was to leave for dealership) They could not combine my Team USA rebate with this.

I did multiple security deposits. I think MF was around .00141.

15k miles/year, nothing down 760 including tax/month.

There was another dealer who was willing to give me a further 500 off but didn't have the color/combination I was looking for.

This is in So Cal.
  • vicmingvicming Member Posts: 3
    Planning to get a 2012 535xi - how much off invoice should I target? This is for New Jersey.

Thanks in advance.

--fg--