Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevron Gas

truckluvertruckluver Member Posts: 11
Has anyone heard anything about Chevron gas and G.M. cars and trucks not being compatible?
I was just at my dealer and he kind of hinted around that I should not be using Chevron gas in my truck but would not give a reason why.
Anybody else here about this?
Thanks

Comments

• gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    I have heard just the opposite. GM falls short of outright reccomending Chevron gas...
  • truckluvertruckluver Member Posts: 11
    This is what a service tech. said.
    He said use 76, Shell, Texaco or Mobil but would not recommend Chevron. Said he can't tell me Not to use Chevron, but recommend I use the other's but with no explanation why.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    All I use is Chevron Gas (assuming it is available which it is here in my area) and have 21000 on a 2001 8.1litre and it seems to be treating me very well. One reason I use Chevron is that I also burn auto fuel in my airplane and Chevron was the only one willing to put their name on paper that their gas always meets the specification required by the Supplemental Type Certificate to the plane to use auto fuel.
    cowboyjohn
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Unless mandated by some governmental legislation or decree, petroleum product manufacturers don't do very well in keeping customers if they make incompatible products that don't perform well.

If I were a technician and had a solid technical reason for recommending that you don't use a specific product, I'd be able to tell you what that reason is.

Next time you see this technician, try to determine if he has some ulterior motive in telling you not to use Chevron. If he starts giving you political reasons or anecdotal supposition, then I'd be suspecting he's got something personal against Chevron.

By the way, a person working for a dealership and making claims against a product needs to be carefull. He and his employer could be liable in our increasingly litigious society.

Dusty
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I use mobil gas almost 100% of the time. On myy trip from indiana to NC i stopped twice for chevron (because of their techron cleaner the yadd to their gas). My mpg jumped about 1-1.5 mpg using their gas. Wish they had some stations here in indiana.

I have used the techron additive.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    GM, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota all use Chevron when the run their new cars through EPA testing.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    If my memory serves me correctly, doesn't Chevron buy about 10% of is crude oil from IRAQ?
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    xyz71 is right. They actually truck it in specially for emissions testing because there is no Chevron stations in the area. They do it because the Techron helps the engines burn cleaner and more efficient. Check with the big 3 and check the Chevron website.

Robert
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    I am not inclined to believe the advertisers hype about potential "Snake Oil" products.
    While I have not been able to answer the issues of what label is on the side of the truck that delivers the fuel to the station tanks, I have seen a difference in Chevron fuel.
    In the seventies and eighties, I saw BMW 2liter engines opened after using different fuels. I chose to use Chevron due to the major difference in deposits.
    Before my buying my truck, I drove an '88 Sable with a Ford installed retrofit that leaned out the fuel mix. It started stumbling and missing until the dealer mechanic suggested I use a fuel system cleaner additive and use Chevron. I did, and the effect was amazing.
    With my '98 K1500 5.7, I thought I wouldn't need the techron, I started getting the miss at idle. I started using Chevron again, and that problem left.

Perhaps there is still a "mystery" to the deal, but I continue to use Chevron. I can pay at the pump, or I can buy the additives and the inconvenience of getting the mix right. I seldom fill the tank at the same level of "emptiness" or "fullness".

Sheeze, I hate sounding like a commercial...
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    gas when I had dirty fuel injectors after only about 2500 miles on my Y2K 4.3 V6 Silverado. The Techron fuel system cleaner is what they used to clean the fuel system - same stuff in diluted form is in the Chevron gas. Local Chevron gas is about $.05 more than competing brands, but I still use it - except for my old big block beater which isn't worth the extra $$. All gasoline is the same but different brands have different additives - at least that is the advertising line I am buying.
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    driving from indiana with a car trailer from uhaul and a park avenue. almost 8000 mile round trip including sightseeing (grand canyon, vegas, san diego). always had good gas mileage when i filled up with chevron. used all gas stations, chevron was the best. i can tell the difference well because it's straight driving...non-stop. seemed to be accelerating smoother up-hill and increased mpg by about 1-2mpg. pulling about 7000lbs, car and trailer, plus stuff inside the car. probably 1000lbs of stuff in bed, four people in the cab (helped uncled moved from iowa to LA), i averaged about 13.5mpgs on the planes and 11.5-12mpg in colorado and mountainous areas in UT and AZ. when i filled up with chevron, i went as high as 15.5mpg mainly flat, and 14 to 14.5mpg in general. i don't know of any chevron stations in NW Indiana, so i just get gas from wherever's cheapest. I've got a 2002 2500HD EC LT 4x4 6.0L Silverado. took delivery on 9/17/02. now have 25000 trouble free miles, except for the annoying elves knocking in my engine!!! would like to know how to get free extended warranty for the knocking if any.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    I have a 97 Grand Prix. I used Chevron in it exclusively (I'd drive on fumes to find a Chevron) until recently when the prices got to be $0.05+ higher then everyone else. I've never had problems related to the fuel.

The question that started this makes me think, "Is Chevron gas, smart gas? Does it know it's in a GM so it acts differently?" Why believe some outrageous comment without explanation?

I also was putting Chevron Diesel in my F250 but changed when I realized I could get it cheaper elsewhere at a place used by more people.
    See Snake Oil entry above.
    I had a '78 Fairmont that would run on any kind of gas I could get with no apparent difference. Um, maybe I should say that it ran equally bad on any kind of gas I could get...
    I had a '70 BMW 2002 that didn't like anything other than high octane fuel. I drove more "spiritedly" back then...

If you experience no adverse effects of burning whatever gas you can find, this is a good thing. Enjoy it.

Every vehicle is different, just like people.

Comments without explanation... I drove a Fairmont. There is no explanation for that, it just happened.
    Try adding some techron fuel injector cleaner.

I have been dumping in a bottle before an oil change.

I dumped in a bottle today for a trip to chicago and my milage seen a slight increase

I have been getting it at meier.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    for $10.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Unless the station is near a Chevron refinery or pipeline, what you are buying probably isn't Chevron gasoline.

Oil companys do 'exchanges'. One company exchanges their product for another's product when they do not have a nearbuy supply.

They aren't going to truck gasoline hundreds of miles to sell 'the real stuff'.

Now, a branded company specifies a 'package' of their additives be added when the truck is loaded at the wholesale terminal. But I'm guessing a lot of the additives are 'generic' chemicals also.

Now Techron may be unique. And have a better detergent action than some of the other additives.

But the base gasoline stock is 'generic', out of a refinery or pipeline.
    "Costco has the 4 pack for $10. "

THANKS!!!

They just opened one a few months ago and we have a 1 yr free memebership
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    ryan,

any particular reason why you add a fuel injector cleaner before an oil change rather than after. i add a bottle after an oil change.

what kinda fuel injector cleaner you put in your truck that you get from meijer? i know it's not the chevron brand fuel injector cleaner you get from meijer, i looked to compare the price with costco. last time i looked they have a chevron fuel system cleaner for around $6.00. i get the chevron fuel injector cleaner from costo for $10 4-pack. there's a Costco in merrillville.

here's a question...

anyone know the difference between the chevron fuel injector clear and the chevron fuel system cleaner. i can get the 4pack of the chevron fuel injector cleaner from costco for $10, that's $2.50each. that's the only one they sell. now the other stores, walmart, meijer, kmart, etc, they sell the chevron fuel system clear for around $6 a bottle. yep, that's $6 a bottle of the chevron fuel system cleaner. they both go in the same way and thru the same components. so what's the difference other than where it's sold, what's it called, and the $3.50 price difference?
    The stuff i get from meier is techron

"Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner is unbeatable in cleaning the entire fuel system and restoring lost power and performance caused by deposit build-up. Cleans deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, ports, valves and combustion chambers. Works in one tankful while you drive to reduce deposit related engine knock, ping, run-on, and cold start problems. Recommended for use every 3,000 miles. 20 oz. bottle. "

I wasnt aware they made two different kinds of cleaner. The above is the only one i know of and have only seen

The above pic is what i buy from meier. It is obviously made by chevron. Last time i think the 20 oz bottle was like $4.99
    Being interested in the above concept of buying cheaper gas and adding the Techroline myself, I went in search of the difference in the two products mentioned.

I found the site below. Looks like one of them has something to absorb water too. See if you can sort through the marketing levels beyond two sizes of bottles (12 and 20 ounce)?

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Looks like the same additive packaged under different labels. Now wouldn't that be ironic.
This discussion has been closed.