Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Child Car Seats That Fit

paulpuppetpaulpuppet Member Posts: 1
I tried to put a Britax in, but when rear-facing it can swing back, and the anchor strap has no where to tie. Is there a recommended seat?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a link of interest until you get some suggestions from other parents:

http://www.car-safety.org

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Can you please list the age and weight of your child, and the model and year of your vehicle for reference?

Most vehicles will accomodate a Britax rear-facing tether. You may have to loop the included strap around a seatbelt anchor, or a non-moving, structural portion of the seat in front. You then attach the tether hook to the metal ring on the included strap. You can also run the tether back to the tether anchor used for front-facing carseats, though this may be less convenient. You can find some links on this topic and general information in the LATCH guide at the site Steve posted above, also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

In the tether section, you will find a mention about the Britax rear-facing tethers with a couple links to other sites that have photos as well.

Good luck!

• jeanknigjeanknig Member Posts: 2
    Hi - new to the Town Hall so please excuse if this topic has already been talked to death...
    I am considering purchasing a 2000 Odyssey and am concerned about the child seat installation. Browsing around some old discussions (1999 vintage) leads me to believe that they can be safely installed without the dreaded locking clips by pulling the seat belts all the way out. Is this still the installation method of choice?

Also, it sounded like there may have been a fix on the way for the lack of a place to attach a tether. Does anyone know if there is any new news on that front? The discussion I found indicated that there was an anchor under the passenger side 2nd row seat that worked then, but there may be a better fix from Honda on the way.

I want to buy this van (before someone else does) but have a 3 yo and almost 1 yo and if installing the seats isn't any easier than it has been in my Camry, I may consider other vans... Grand Caravan, Sienna, sedona??...

I appreciate any thoughts - Thanks!
    First, all cars since the 1996 model year must meet new lockability requirements. Basically, they must have a latchplate or retractor that can lock a child restraint securely. So, in theory, a locking clip should not be needed for most vehicles since the 1996 model year. In practice, the locking mechanism on some models don't hold some carseats well, or the vehicle/carseat owner's manual may still recommend a locking clip in certain situations. So, though there are exceptions, the switchable locking retractors (switched by pulling the belts all the way out) in the Odyssey should work well to install most carseats.

The 2000 Odyssey does have two standard tether anchors on the bottom of the 2nd row chairs, and optional tether anchors on the rear tailgate sil. I have all the details here:

http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

Of course, the Odyssey is not going to be compatible with all carseats. It could happen that your particular models don't work well for one reason or another, though that is possible in any vehicle. The new LATCH system does make installation easier in some cases, but you would have to purchase a 2001 Odyssey for that. The 2000 Windstars did have LATCH, and their safety ratings are also very good overall.

• jeanknigjeanknig Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information and the link to the car-safety web site. All were extremely helpful, and since I purchased the van yesterday, I am putting them to good use! I have a Century infant seat with base and a Century Next Step Toddler/Booster and I think they are both going to fit reasonably well.

This is a great resource and I will definitely be back next time I need help. Thanks again!
    New car seats are a snap

Steve
    Host
    Strapping kids

Steve

Host

The Strapping Kids article is basically what I do about every other Saturday:-)
  • lucyvp49lucyvp49 Member Posts: 14
    We wanted a LATCH compatible seat for our new Odyssey, and I have been very have with my Britax Roundabout, so started shopping for the best price online for a new one. I started looking at the Marathon, mostly because I had never seen it, and liked the fabric better. It turns out this is a new seat that is good for up to 65 pounds, rather than the 40 for the Roundabout. It fits great in the Odyssey, my daughter seems very comfortable in it, very plushy and roomy, and its great not having that seat belt blocking access to the rear. (we have kept her in the middle because she is the only one). It was pricey, but we are very happy with it, and will not have to get a booster seat later because of the higher weight limit. We did have to take the headrest off the bucket seat for the best fit, and bought a protective pad for underneath the car seat.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    My 2001 Escape has LATCH in it and I'm glad too with my wife being 19 weeks.

Odie
    Congrats Odie! Got the car seat yet?

Steve, Host
    Got the travel system the other day.

Funny when we went look at the strollers and seats my wife just started laughing at me cause I was checking the Tires and Suspention on the stroller and the Belts on both stroller and seat.

Hey we even got a stroller with air filled tires, and it even had 2 spare tires just incase of blow-outs (and NO they are not Firestones)

Odie
    "The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today warned consumers to watch out for problems with child seats equipped with recessed buckles built into the seat between the child’s legs.

NHTSA said the buckles in these seats can easily collect particles of food, drink, dirt, sand or other material that may interfere with the buckle. The consumer may have difficulty latching and unlatching dirty buckles. In some cases the material may cause a “false latch” if the user mistakenly believes that the buckle is securely latched when it is not."

More

Steve, Host

• lesajoolesajoo Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a hard time fitting everybody and everything in our brand new Odyssey - formerly drove a 91 previa. Right now mid seats are apart, with futura in one, and rear-facing roundabout in the other. The big kids are having a hard time getting in from car pool line with back packs, etc, which wasn't a problem with previa. A neighbor kid gave up and sat in front. Normally, all the seats are filled when I pick up, and my 13 year old daughter, 5 ft 8 sits in front, so I don't worry about the air bag with her - worry more about myself at 5 ft 3... I saw one mom pickup in the preschool line, where the kids are put in and then we pull up to buckle. She got out, opened the back, and reached over to buckle her child in the third row. Seems crazy and inconvenient in some ways, but may be what I have to do. It seems that there's 4 inches less between second and third rows, and 1 1/2 less between front and second rows, plus a lot less space beside second row to reach in back if you slide seats together. I'm disappointed with all the rave reviews of this vehicle...
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    We can't find our owners manual. And going to coscoinc does not help. Can someone tell me if the manual in available online.

Or better yet, can someone tell me how to use the extra belt that came with this car seat.

PLEASE PLEASE
  • harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    Eddie Bauer? Dude, when did you go upscale on us? I thought you were a hard working stiff and here you are getting Eddie Bauer.

I also have a 2000 Alpha Omega (but plain) and also just bought a second one for the new van. I know I have the instructions for the new one and I'll look for the old one tomorrow morning in the daylight as I think it's stored in the slot behind the seat in the old Civic.

If nobody else can give help you learn how to use it by the weekend, I'll fax it to you Monday morning.
    Cool, thanks Harry. I didn't want to bother you about it, but here you are again, also providing for us.

I am just glad that someone actually got it for us from our baby shower. I would have been happy with the Alpha Omega since that is what Ike has, but just so to get something a bit different we asked for the Eddie. We had an easy time with our baby shower registry, because Elaine already had done all the research of safety, recalls and so forth. 99% of our stuff is identical to what they have, it was nearly sickening.
    Then we both get an Ody the same day and the same dealership. I am just happy they wanted a different color. People did say when we were growing up that they thought we were twins.

Thanks again Harry.
    "The mistaken belief that their young children are "too big for a car seat" leads many parents to put them at greater risk in a crash."

Parents often mistaken about protecting kids in cars (KTVB.com)

Steve, Host
    Hi Steve, your links brings me to a site to register. I can probably read from your writings of what the article is about and I agree with you on that. My wife and I already said we plan on placing our kid(s) on some form of child seat until they are 10.

Is that too young or too old. Maybe that's what the article is about?
    That link worked.

Every little information, useful or not, is better than no information.

At least this article is better to read on the bus, than the dreaded 10 million pages of extended warranty. :)
    does the extra belt have a spring retention clasp on each end... if it does it's the belt for the new LATCH system in newer cars.

Believe me this new system is alot easier to put the seats in and remove then using the reg. seatbelts.

Odie
    No it doesn't, I looked it up on the NHTSA board and they had a great picture of what I have. Dah me, it's the Tether, so I have it wrap around the top part of the seat and on to the bottom as per the instructions from the dealer.

I think we are going to Buy Buy Baby this weekend to buy a new one for the van, and leave the old one in the 10 yr old "Egra".
    Norman,

In the new issue of the Consumer Reports they compared car seats. Somehow the Alpha Omega you and I both own are ranked pretty low. If you have the $$, and I know you do from all the savings that you have from not buying the Sienna, you can get the top of the line Brittax (sp?) for double the price of the Alpha Omega (on sale at Target for $99 three weeks ago). If you don't have access to a copy of the magazine, I can fax you the 2 page article.
    Logged onto to CR, and saw your report. Britax car seat $230. I think that is for those people on the SienTA side. They are the ones with money to burn for a new car, let them pay for this one. I think (no I KNOW) I still would go for the Alpha.

Comparing the Alpha to the Britax, double the price, I would expect some huge difference in quality and safety.

What puzzles me is that they have the alpha for UP TO 35 lbs. I thought the Alpha was a 3 stage car seat, all the way to a booster where you take out the base. Is this correct?

My gosh, $230 for a car seats, it's for the same people of paid $250 for that Peg Perego High Chair.

Sorry, no offense to the people who paid for it, but the Britax is just our of my league. I want to protect my little one, but at the same time I have to consider some form rational thinking for my situation.
    Yeah, that's because you only have a Ody EX-L with DVD, the dash board is so "basic inside" compared to the plush and luxurious nature of the Sienna XLE Limited Edition.

Just as the Sienna is "much more stylish and the leather seats are far superior in leather quality and comfort" than your Odyssey, you also need to compare the Britax with the Alpha in the seat cloth in style/quality and comfort before you decide...

Apologies to you all who haven't read the Odyssey versus Sienna forum debate ...
    I have a number of cosco corp manuals in pdf format. With your complete model number, I might be able to email you the correct one. Unfortunately, matching Cosco manuals with carseats isn't always easy- they use the same manual for many seats and rarely label them appropriately.

This is all changing with the improvements Cosco is making in response to the new NHTSA child restraint ratings system. Cosco will also include the easier tilt-adjusters on their tether straps.

If you didn't make it to Buy Buy Baby yet, consider the Britax Husky when you go. They had them on sale for $129 recently if you don't mind the brown cover...

Also, the Alpha Omega is 35 pounds rear-facing. It then goes to 40 pounds front-facing and then can be used as a booster.

Steve-

Kids can graduate from boosters as soon as they fit properly in adult seatbelts. This varies from child to child, and vehicle to vehicle. Some adults technically need a booster in some vehicles:-) The quick rule is 8 years old, unless the child is already 4'9" tall. The best rule is a test like this one:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q9
    Best not tell those adults, they might get offended :-)

Steve, Host
    "The Tattle Tale uses a five-point harness system and sensors to detect when the seat is installed improperly or when the buckle is released."

Child safety seat warns when used improperly (Honolulu Advertiser)

Steve, Host
    They have modified a Cosco child seat to add a sensor to make sure the harness is buckled, one under the pad to make sure a child is in the seat and one that attaches to the seatbelt or LATCH strap to make sure there is tension on the belt.

There are some photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/14199491
    http://www.pbase.com/image/14199492
    http://www.pbase.com/image/14199493

The concept is interesting. The price seems quite high, in that some models are based on a carseat that retails for under $50.
    Am I going over board if I use the LATCH system, and the Tether, then still use the seat belt on my sons car seat? Will it be any better that I use all three safety devices?
    The top tether is an integral part of LATCH, and it does improve safety. Most carseats require the top tether to meet a stricter set of federal standards.

Using the seatbelt in addition to the lower LATCH anchors is not necessary. In some cases, it is specifically prohibited by the manual. Use whichever one results in the better fit to your vehicle.

Also see:

• crvgirlcrvgirl Member Posts: 27
    Comparing the Alpha to the Britax, double the price, I would expect some huge difference in quality and safety.

And you would see it. In spades.

Britax seats have impact-absorbing EPS foam lining the entire seat. They have non-twist straps. They have built-in lock-offs. They can be tethered even while rear-facing to prevent rebound. They have a small base that lets them fit better in more vehicles. The list goes on and on. Go to http://www.carseatdata.org/convertibles to see why the Alpha Omega is not the best choice. Even if you don't want to spend more on a Britax, you can spend *less* and get as much, if not more, as you'll get from the Alpha Omega.

What puzzles me is that they have the alpha for UP TO 35 lbs. I thought the Alpha was a 3 stage car seat, all the way to a booster where you take out the base. Is this correct?

The 35 lb must refer to the rear-facing weight limit. Theoretically, the AO can be used all the way from infancy to booster. The truth is, many carseat techs call the AO a "jack of all trades, master of none." While it is supposed to fit an infant, like most convertibles it just doesn't fit them very well. And it's a poor choice for a harnessed toddler seat because (a) the straps are very twisty, and twisted straps don't provide as much protection, and (b) the top harness slots are lower than most other seats, meaning children tend to outgrow the harness by height *long* before they outgrow it by weight. So your child will be forced out of the safety of a harnessed seat sooner than necessary. You'd be better off buying three separate seats that do their jobs well, rather than one that tries to be all things for all people. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that by the time you use it as a booster, it will be so behind-the-times that you'll want a new seat anyway. I mean, can you imagine how much better boosters might be in 3 years? Britax is already coming out with one that provides enhanced side-impact protection. Who knows what else is coming.

My gosh, $230 for a car seats, it's for the same people of paid $250 for that Peg Perego High Chair.

Or those of us who spend money where it matters (on a carseat) rather than where it doesn't ($60 highchair worked for me, thanks).
    You took my statement apart. Thanks for the info. I actually went to Buy Buy baby, and saw the Britax, the salesman did say the Britax used better straps. Assuming he knew what he was talking about, he actually was trying to sway us away from the Britax and go for the AO. In a nutshell, be basically did not find enough differences to pay the extra $$. Didn't really matter because we were there to buy an AO.

Believe me, there is nothing I wouldn't do to keep my kids safe. If I could afford one, I would have preferred to be driving a volvo right now. I also have to look at the over all picture in our family situation. What I basically was saying was that the Britax is out of our budget. As nice as it is, as good as it is, it is just too expensive for us.

I agree with you on the high chair, thats why I made fun of those people who bought the more expensive high chairs. Those high price high chaird are merely for those people who have some extra cash to splurge.

I already checked our sofa, and picked up all the loose change and there still is not enough to pay for the Britax.
    Though motor vehicle crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injuries to kids ages 1-14, the great majority are a result of non-use or misuse of restraint systems.

Used correctly, any current model with a 5-point harness will be very safe. Of course, some may have features that make them easier to use correctly, and some may fit your child or vehicle better than others. Those factors are very important to safety, though they will vary with each parent, child and vehicle.

You don't have to spend big bucks to protect your child. On the other hand, you do need to spend the time to make sure you are using correcly whichever model you choose.

We own and use a variety of models in our vehicles, including a Britax Roundabout and a Cosco Triad. I'm confident putting my daughter in either one. My son rides in a Britax Husky or Fisher Price Futura, though those choices were limited because of the higher weight limits on the harness system...
  • jafferjaffer Member Posts: 5
    It it possible to install the tether for LATCH system on an '03 ODY. Have triplets and would like to do 1 in the middle and two in the 3rd row?

If so, do I go to Honda or third party and how much?

Thanks
    I know you can attach the Teether for the 03 Ody. on the third row. You have to go to the dealer and they will install the steel hook to an opening in the trunk area, which is where you would attach the tether strap.

As for the Lower Latch, I am not sure if the third row is LATCH ready, or if it is something that you can install or obtain after market.
    http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

The parts are under $10 each including delivery from online parts dealers like handaaccessories.com, hondapartsforyou.com or hparts.com . Takes just a few minutes to add the two optional anchors yourself. There are no lower anchors in the third row:-(
    Thanks for the update. I went to 1 dealership and they had no clue. Second one after much discussion figured out the steel hooks in the trunk are. So I bought 2. Now I have 3 steel hooks in the trunk area

Hate to sound ignorant but do the 2 hooks from the Graco car seat attach to 1 steel hook or 2. I will be having 2 seats in the third row. Thanks

Akbar
    Only one hook from a child seat may be attached to each vehicle anchor. For general information, also see:

Thanks a bunch. That really helps.

Akbar
    "LATCH doesn't always make it a simple click-in operation to install a restraint. Before buying one, parents should be sure to try fitting it in the vehicle they plan to use it in because not every restraint is going to fit in every vehicle."

Latch Systems for Child Restraints Aren't Always a Snap (U.S. Newswire)

Steve, Host
    "Only two of the 68 child safety seats tested for ease of use in the government’s first-ever such rating score an “A” in all five categories."

Child car seats get ease-of-use ratings (MSNBC)

Steve, Host
    "It's still a lot smarter for drivers to put small passengers in the back seat."

Smart Air Bags Not Ready For Tots (CBS News)

Steve, Host
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    Steve, wondering if you still knew where I could get a copy of the report posted in msg #46.

danke,
    -nobee
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That article seems to be missing but I think this is the source: Child Safety Seat Ease of Use Ratings.

tidester, host
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I wish there were only a few to choose from..lol.

All, is Britax the most recommended with parents? I'm kind of leaning towards the Marathon seats..

-nobee
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    I am wondering if some of the Britax products for sale in UK/Europe can be purchased in the US. I am interested in their wonderous line of space saving seats and strollers that would work well with smaller cars but seem to be unavailable in the US Britax lineup...

ksso
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    I have an Eddie Bauwer 0-80 LBS. Forgive me if I mispelled the seat name, in the forward facing position with the use of the anchors, it fits like a glove. It also has 3 reclining positions and a removable base, adjustments can be made in less than 30 seconds, and all the materials are completely removable and washable. A carseat gasket really helps against indentations bein made on the seats, especially leather seats. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.