Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    First thing I'd check is to make sure that the TCM, located under the carpet on the right front passenger's feet is dry. Water intrusion, not all that uncommon on these cars, can make the transmission control module do funny things. It's a cheap thing to check before I went any further with the actual transmission itself.
  • theknabtheknab Member Posts: 5
    Altair4,
    Thanks so much for getting back so quick. I will check it out this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed!! Thanks again.
  • tommy8stommy8s Member Posts: 8
    I have just come in on this - but we have had the water intrusion (under warranty) and subsequent transmission control module replaced - out of warranty.

Our 2002 Passat had water intrusion approx 2005. It was my wife's car and she could never get the "stale" air smell out of the car.

In the summer of 2007, I heard and felt a thump on the interstate - thought I had run over a 2" x 4" or 4" x 4". The same thing happened on the return trip. Within a few days the car have very little takeoff power - enough that we would be honked at. The car had 24,000 miles - my wife does not drive that much.

The yellow engine symbol would come on periodically for extended periods.

We took the car to the dealership at the end of June and fought with the warranty [non-permissible content removed]'s for 5 months about covering the $2500 transmission control module. The car sat at the dealer for 5 months while the letters went back and forth. We claimed the module was ruined by the flood, the warranty [non-permissible content removed]'s claimed the flood had nothing to do with the transmission module and the car was out of (time) warranty despite being under 25,000 miles.

VW would not even move on the $2500 price tag - out of warranty.

We had the module replaced and picked the car up right before Christmas. The dealership only charged us $1800 - but a very nice Christmas present.
  • theknabtheknab Member Posts: 5
    My mechanic checked out the TCM for water intrusion and found no evidence. All the wires also looked dry.
    Any other ideas?
  • linznblinznb Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same issue right now!
  • rfree8rfree8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. No noises or holes in the highway. Logged 80 miles roundtrip just to get to the dealer. Follow up with Gephardt VW in Boulder CO resulted in an "oops my bad we'd like to do the work " moment. Had the boots replaced by a private mechanic. He said my belts were fine, something they did offer to replace. Wouldnt go back to that shop for free aspirin if I had a headache.
  • nbakernbaker Member Posts: 1
    help, somebody 2003 wagon is sputtering while sitting idle and a mechanic says that it is the cat converter??? I hope we just need a tune up is this possible?? norm :cry::cry:
    Suggest that you get the codes read (for free) at an auto parts store like Advance Auto or AutoZone and post your codes (if any) here. Then let's see what you find.

Add'l information would be helpful, too. How many miles? What engine?
  • 02blue02blue Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: '02 Passat, 1.8 turbo gas with an automatic. Service manual specifies VW ATF or an ESSO spec no. What type is the ATF of choice?
    thanks
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I am considering buying an one owner 2002 Passat GLX V-6 auto with 113K miles. The guy just had the plugs/wires/coolant/transmission fluid done, He had done the timing belt/water pump at about 100K. He scanned and sent me all the paperwork.

It appears to be a decent car. No reported accidents. Is this a good car for $7200. Do these Passats start having any serious issues above 100K miles. Is the V-6 engine a decent engine or has annoying problems.

Are there any expensive repairs beyond the timing belt/water pump that is already done on this car? What is the oil type requirement on this engine? Can you use regular 5-30W or it needs synthetic oil.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • mcook4mcook4 Member Posts: 5
    Help, I've just returned from the VW dealer after having the oil changed at 20k. I told them that it was still pulling to the left, as it was at the 15k, and at 10k . At the 10k check, they adjusted it the wrong direction and made it worse. At the 15k change they told my wife that the Passat's drift. Today, they rotated the tires, flipped them around checked the alignment and said it was good. I'm not an idiot, I know roads have crowns, but this car still pulls left up or down crowns. If you let go of the steering wheel, it will take you to the other lane. I test drove a used Passat Wagon and it tracked straight. I tried to trade, but no go. I need to get rid of this lemon.
    What are my options. :mad:
    Thanks and I love this forum.
  • matthewt24matthewt24 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 wagon, and the side trim that runs the entire length of the roof will not stay in place. I am constantly pushing it back down into the channel. Not only is this an inconvenience, but it is a potential hazard if it were to fall off on a long highway trip at high speed. Does anyone else have this problem or have any recommendations to fix? Are these trim pieces even necessary or just for aesthetics?

Thanks!
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Find a competant private VW mechanic and get it re-aligned there. I own three VWs and the only time I take them to the dealer is for oil changes and TSBs/recalls. I have three private VW master mechanics in my area (I live on the East Coast) for the bigger jobs because I know the work will be done right the first time.

The majority of dealership service departments (especially VW dealerships) are only concerned with the volume of vehicles they service (that's their profit center), not necessarily the quality of service they provide.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Hi neki -
    I don't know if you've figured this one out, but it sounds like a classic case of ABS module failure. We have a 99 Passat V6 auto, and this is exactly what happened to us as well. I removed the ABS module and sent it off for repair ($215, including insured Fed Ex shipping). It took about 10 days with shipping to get it back, and then I reinstalled it. Problem is gone, and the rebuilt unit is warranted for 5 years.

I googled the problem, and that's how I found the site we used for repairs. Module Master is the company I used, but there are a couple that do it.

The removal was not really that difficult, so if you are at all inclined to save a buck, this is the route to go. I hear that this is a pricey repair if you take it to the dealer.

Good luck
    I pulled the strips completely out and then manually bent them to better fit the contour of the car. That has helped tremendously. They still tend to pop up at the 12" or so, but it's much better than it was.

If you consider doing this, do it on a warmer, sunny day after the car has been in the sun for a couple of hours. Otherwise, you risk having the paint chip / crack on that flexible piece. It's a wack design, for sure - I've never had a similar issue on any other car.
  • chuck79chuck79 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any help on this issue.
    I have an 01/02 Passat with the 1.8T and 180,000 miles. Problem: While sitting idle and in gear (forward or reverse), problem takes about a minute to cycle through.
    Cycle: idle speed starts normal at 900 revs and will start to fall and recover at about one second intervals slowly progressing to a fall of about 100 revs and then slowly recovering in the same way to a normal, consistent 900 revs.
    Other than this the cars has no known problems. Runs fine at high speeds.
    I took it to Autozone to get codes and here are the results:
    "The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only."
    "Probable Causes"
    "Oxygen sensor defective"
    "Ignition misfire"
    "Fuel injector problem"
    Is there any way to test an oxygen sensor? Has anyone else experienced a problem like this or know some test I can perform to help narrow this down?
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    If you still have the original oxygen sensors in the car at 180,000 miles (your OBD-2 equipped car should have two of them) - they need to be replaced.
  • cbignellcbignell Member Posts: 2
    I have been having problems with my A/C working intermittently. Brought it in twice and was told it was working fine (although I know it wasn't). Third time it was brought in, they couldn't find the problem and ultimately said I need a new A/C compressor ($2000). Before investing in this, wondering if anyone else has had problems with the A/C. The car has 73,000 miles and I find it hard to believe it needs a new AC compressor or maybe just hoping I don't need to invest $2000 into this car.
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    Like any part "your mileage may vary"... My 99 Passat went 224,800+ miles with the original AC compressor (and most other parts original too, like the entire exhaust system). Oh, and the AC worked just fine...

If you really like the car, and live in a climate where it is needed, go for it. I tended to use my AC perhaps 20 days a year (I live in CT and did a lot of driving between CT and DE/PA/NY). If you live in AZ, that could explain it. :-)

Seems kind of pricey, but I don't know what it should cost.... You could always consider going to a second party and get another opinion (I would at $2,000). My experience with VW dealers was mixed - one superb (fixed things on the first try, would correctly diagnose issues spot on), another pathetic (and I would never go there again). I feel sorry for people who are totally clueless, as they probably get robbed left & right from lousy dealers (who come in all makes, not just VW).
  • cbignellcbignell Member Posts: 2
    let me add to my original message. I live in Mass., so the A/C (defroster) is used no more then 50 days a year. The notes that I have on the VW repair receipt says "...freon level OK. cooling fans are good. No power at AC compressor. checked AC pressure sensor, no conclusive test of sensor. opened VTA. Techline suggests to test resistance at compressor and cooling fan module. resistance at compressor is too high. Needs replacement. checked for power and ground at cooling fan module, seems t be OK and fans are working normally." I am wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of anyone with a similar situation. Thanks for any input.
  • kristina8kristina8 Member Posts: 1
    Just recently, my Passet started "jerking and not responding" when I try and accelerate... many things have been done to this car lately- everything from new belts, water pump, timing belt, spark plugs... so far the local shop is throwing parts and prices at me (coil ignitions, ECM, TCM, spark wires) but it's becoming apparant they aren't even sure what's going on.. my side window stopped working yesterday, started working again today.. the shift panel that shows whether the car is in drive or reverse is completely blacked out and of course the car isn't accelerating correctly. Does anyone experience this or know what's going on?? thanks for your time in advance, appreciate it... Kris
  • npaul1npaul1 Member Posts: 1
    I stopped for fuel and my door would not open. Pressed the button on console and it clicked but nothing happen with the door. Is there a fuse or a emergency release? can anyone give me an ideal as to the cause and fix?
    Over the summer, we had to have the compressor replaced on our 1999 V6 Passat. It had died one day on the way to the airport. Total cost was $1800. The compressor was $1200 of that. We paid it. The car has 130,000 miles on it, and we want to keep it another 1 - 2 years. Of course, at that point, I think we'll just keep it as a "banger" to use when one of the other cars is in the shop.
  • fleasedfleased Member Posts: 21
    I just had an oil change in my 03 Passat (Mobil1 5w30 Synthetic) and the next day, the MIL came on. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but is there anything a mechanic performing an oil change can do, or fail to do, that could make it happen?
    Someone told me that the mileage has to be reset to avoid a "Change Oil" light coming on. I don't think the Passat has this light; would the MIL perform this function if they failed to do this?
    Another friend said that an air filter hose had been inadvertently left disconnected after an oil change where they'd checked the air filter, and it made his MIL light come on. Is that feasable?
    Either way, I suppose it might it be worth mentioning to my service station that the light came on. If for no other reason than to see the shrugs and blank looks.
    Easiest thing to do is to go to an auto parts store like Advance Auto or AutoZone and get the codes read for free. Then post up what you find, or just google it.

BTW, Mobil 1's 5w-30 is not compliant with VW's required oil for the 2003 Passat (it's not 502.00 compliant). This could be a problem for you especially if your car is equipped with the 1.8T engine with the possibility of either sludging or coking the oil. I suggest that you go with Mobil 1's 0w-40 formula. Of course, that brings the possibility that your MIL is related to your choice in oil.
  • suavemsuavem Member Posts: 2
    So did u get ur door issue resolved? I am having a similar issue and am still trying to figure out how I will get my door hope bcos it stressful going via the passenger's door.
  • fleasedfleased Member Posts: 21
    Oil choice can result in a MIL? That's surprising.
    Anyway, I took it back to the place that changed the oil and they pulled an error code of 2181--cooling system performance. They reset it and yesterday it didn't come back on after about 30 miles of driving (15m each way to work). Of course, today it came back on after about 10 -15 mins of interstate driving. My mileage is 52k. Am I due a thermostat/water pump failure do you think?
    My thinking on the oil and MIL lights would be this: oil related damage that finally surfaced. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, back to your code - VW does have a warranty extension on the coolant temperature sensor on the 2001 through 2003 Passats with the 1.8T engine.

Google "volkswagen recall coolant sensor". The first link that I found has a copy of the recall letter. Maybe you'll get this covered for free - worth looking into.
  • wwraywwray Member Posts: 4
    I just recently added a quart of 100% synth oil to my Passat (1.8T) thinking it might help with the MIL indicator. The next day I drove it without any MIL. Then when I thought I had licked the problem, it came back on again. Now that I've been reading this forum, I do remember getting that letter in the mail from VW about the CTS. The problem is I'm a second owner with an excess of mileage covered in the warranty. We called VW and they told us it would cost $95 just to look at it to determine it's source. I'm going to see if Autozone or Advance will give me a free error code reading. Thanks for the info.
  • jerryjohnsonjerryjohnson Member Posts: 1
    have a 97 passat diesel and having starting issues and the shop i took it to has determined that it starts fine when the temp sensor is unpluged but plug it in and takes several minutes to get it to start. replaced the sensor (2 times) no difference, anyone know whats going on, computer problem ? glow plug circuit ? everyone is stumped on this one. Anyone ever heard of anything like this, Thanks
    I have a 1999 Passat V6 (2.0 Liter engine) with 135,000 miles. Over the past few months we've been dealing with a coolant leak that cannot be located. I've had the car to our mechanic a number of times, and he's done two pressure tests, with the engine running and with it not running, and he even left the test to run all night on one occasion, but he gets no coolant loss during these test.

However, about every other week, I have to add 1 - 2 cups of coolant to the reservoir. I see no other signs of leakage. The mechanic also replaced the reservoir cap at one point, but that hasn't stopped it either.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
  • dweaks32dweaks32 Member Posts: 1
    This message appeared. Brought it into the dealership, they made me produce 7 oil change receipts and said the work would be covered by VW. Apparently Synthetic oil should be used exclusively. It's in the shop currently, they have warned me of potential engine damage. Should I be concerned? They said that there is considerable engine sludge and an intense flush and replacement of hoses from the engine is required.
  • sbopassatsbopassat Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2003 1.8T and VW sent a letter a few years ago acknowleging possible oil sludge. Cannot remember if they did a recall also. VW should be responsible for fixing your problem. Do not let the dealership talk you into paying and trying to get reimbursed. They have done that to me several times. I only switched to synthetic oil this year when the mileage reached the 90,000's. I have never been told you have to use synthetic exclusively, rather they suggest when the mileage gets higher. Stand your ground with the dealership and good luck.
    they made me produce 7 oil change receipts and said the work would be covered by VW. Apparently Synthetic oil should be used exclusively. It's in the shop currently, they have warned me of potential engine damage. Should I be concerned?

I'd be a lot more concerned if they hadn't said that VW was picking up the tab! Didn't you get this letter?

BTW, if you read your original owner's manual, you won't see the words "use synthetic oil." You will, however, see wording to use 5w-40 weight oil that meets certain VW specifications. 5w-40 only comes in synthetic.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    " I have never been told you have to use synthetic exclusively, rather they suggest when the mileage gets higher."

Have you read your user's manual?
    Have you seen the letter that altair had posted?

Krzys
  • wwraywwray Member Posts: 4
    I've been told by both mechanics and the salesperson that sold me the used 1.8T, that synthetic only for a hot running turbo engine. We cooked our engine on a trip to Florida because we didn't know the mechanics put regular oil in the car at an oil change. We took it to a VW mechanic to replace a new oil pump and he showed us the coagulation where you put the oil in.
  • sbopassatsbopassat Member Posts: 3
    Yes, and I have had every single 5,000 mile maintenance done on the car since I bought it brand new. All mainteneance has been done at the VW dealership also.
    I have had no oil sludge problems and the dealership only switched my car to synthetic oil this year and I have 92,000 miles.
    You wrote: I have had no oil sludge problems and the dealership only switched my car to synthetic oil this year and I have 92,000 miles.

To stray slightly off topic - this is what scares me and others about VW dealerships. Look at the date on the letter I posted recently on the sludge warranty extension - August, 2004. And they've just switched you to synth this year.... :confuse:
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    some dealers cannot read?

Krzys
    More like some dealers didn't want to cut into their profit margin, or lose business by telling a customer "hey, that $19.95 oil change we advertised doesn't apply to you."

When I got my '03, I already knew it needed synth from some of the forums I had joined before buying the car. But to make sure I was buying the right oil, I had to cruise the interwebz a bit before I settled on Valvoline's Synpower 5w-40 and then switched over later to Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula.
  • xyzzy1954xyzzy1954 Member Posts: 11
    1999 Passat GLX - 113K miles
    In the beginning, all was swell. Then came The Problem. As a group, a set of dashboard indicators (Tach, ABS, Oil, and Brake) fail. Intermittently. That is too say, when The Problem manifests, they all do their wrong thing (Tach doesn't move, ABS stays on, Oil and Brake blink together). And when The Problem goes away, they all work correctly. Over time, "intermittent" has transitioned from occasionally, to Most of the Time. Like 99% of the time, the Problem manifests. I hate this. The dealer offered to change all the related sensors (but NOT to fix The Problem). The car is not offering up a Code. My local Auto Repair shop did not want to get involved. :cry:

Various armchair mechanics have suggested a loose connection on a wire harness. Where do the wire harnesses terminate? I'd happily try to reseat it.

Maybe a sensor is wearing out - shorting, opening - causing the problem.

So any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. :)
  • fjsterlingfjsterling Member Posts: 1
    Funny, I am looking for a solution to a similar gremlin. My OD, clock, RPM, MPH etc all stopped working yesterday. This has happened once before, but I only knew it from my clock and my trip miles zeroing out. The dash lights are still working and the car runs fine. After it happened, I smelled something akin to melting plastic but only for a moment. I read on another blog that the Passats have a tendency to blow clusters on cold days. Any ideas?
  • xyzzy1954xyzzy1954 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry - I'm not familiar with 'clusters' in this context.

My problem - which was in evidence 100% of the time through the summer, has disappeared briefly a few times in the last week. Coincidently, it has been quite cold when it's worked. I don't think anything is 'blown' since it can still come back to normal operation. Maybe cold allows loose contacts to 'make' until things warm up. Grasping at straws.
  • phil377phil377 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having some trouble with a leak that I can't seem to figure out. It is comming from behind the left front wheel. I know I have a CV boot that needs to be replaced. When the wheels are turned fluid is spurting out, but my fluid levels are still fine? I'm wondering if is the tranny, but aparently I can't check the tranny fluid according to my dealer. Suposedly the only way I can diagnose a tranny problem is after I have one? I don't want to wreck my tranny. My steering is getting tight, but again my fluid levels are fine. I was told it might be a return sending unit problem? I had some brake work done about a month ago and I'm wondering if they pinched one of my hoses? It is an '05 GLS with the 1.8 turbo. I have almost 97k and have owned it since it was brand new. Thanks.
  • pollyann1pollyann1 Member Posts: 1
    we bought a92 passat and the gas cover button and trunk buttons are gone is there another way to open the cover to the gas tank so we don't run out of gas
  • BosakNYBosakNY Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying jump my car's battery but can't find it. Can anyone tell me or have a picture of where the battery is? In Passat, 6 cyl 2003.
    It's under the cover at the base of the windshield, between the engine firewall and the windshield. You can access it by removing the sliding cover. To change the battery out, you'll need to remove the entire cover by prying off the rubber gasket at the engine side of it.

Next to the brake fluid reservoir, straight back from the engine.
  • joseppi63joseppi63 Member Posts: 5
    This morning when I started the car, the "BRAKE" indicator on the dash remained lit. I tried restarting with no change. I started driving and the display said "HANDBRAKE ON" and started sounding a persistent alarm. The brake wasn't on, and the car was running fine. I found out as I drove that the turn signals weren't working either, however all the other electrical seemed to be fine.

I tried reseating the fuses by pushing on the top of all of them - but does anyone know if this is a fuse problem - or any other suggestions? I can't get into the shop until Tuesday or Wednesday, and I don't feel like hearing a constant beep every time I am in the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe
  • passatonerpassatoner Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2002 1.8T Passat and just yesterday I got the STOP check coolant message on the display. I saw that the temperate on the temp guage shot up into the red zone and I guess that triggers the check coolant warning.
    I looked at the coolant level under the hood, and it was indeed below the MIN level. I don't know if it means there is a coolant leak or could there be something else wrong like thermostat gone bad, water pump has disintegrated, etc..
    Any ideas what could be going on, what should I do, and what to expect in terms of repair expenses?? Thanks!