Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I never owned your year or model. But I did have an '87 Golf that had a problem with the radiator cooling fan that would activate after engine shutdown and then not shut off. There was a sensor that controlled the after-run that was located at the top of the engine, in the area between the engine and firewall that was bad. It would turn on but not shut off. It was cheap and it fixed my problem. Whether any of this has any significance to your problem, I dunno....Good luck, though.
  • bxmaxbxmax Member Posts: 1
    Multiple VW dealers conducted themselves similarly with my 03 Passat.

I repeatedly, over the course of two years reported that there was an issue with the coolant dissipating while the car was still under warranty. Three different dealers claimed they could not identify the problem. Shortly after the warranty was over a dealer indicated that the problem was a hole in the heater core, and I would have to pay for the service and the part.

I complained to VW corporate and they were of no help. There doesn't seem to be any accountability there at all.
  • jhurtajhurta Member Posts: 1
    I have a high-pitched squealing noise coming from somewhere near the intake manifold. I don't know if this is a vacuum leak or not. When I accelerate down the road, the noise goes away. It is a constant noise only present when the car is slowing down or stopped. Any ideas what this might be? It's a 2007 Passat with about 55K miles on it. Any ideas on how to access the intake manifold? Thanks.
  • wwraywwray Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I had a similar problem on my 01 Passat 1.8Turbo. I had it in the shop for a diagnostic and it turned out to be a Vacuum Leak.
  • sarahnebraskasarahnebraska Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my perfect 02 Jetta for an upgraded 06 Passat Package 2. I've had it for 10 days and before I could even license it, smoke billowed out from the hood and had to be towed in. The mechanic just called to tell me it was the engine coil, and it melted something else that needs to be replaced. While this is all covered by the warranty I fear Ive just bought a lemon. and all my confidence in VW lost. Am I over reacting? What are the odds that anything else is wrong? Do I give up on VW? I've read some pretty negative things on this forum so far. I'm more conflicted now.
  • pheokcpheokc Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2001 passat and upon diagnosis, i noticed that the TCM needs to be changed.I got it from the dealer and needs to replace it.Does anyone know where i can find the one in the car so i can replace it.
    I believe the TCM (Transmission Control Module) is located in a well in the right front footwell under the carpet. You'll need to pull up the carpet to get to it. The CCM is under the driver's feet.
  • shelley2shelley2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, have just replaced my 1992 diesel golf with a 1995 petrol passat, lovely car, although am wondering why the airbag light on the dash is staying on? Also is there anything I have to watch out for for this new car, it's a 1.8 petrol saloon. 130,000 on the clock. Heater doesn't work, and the fuse has blown, tried replacing it, and that melted, (I put a 30 in as before) so am guessing the motor is jammed. Any assistance would be most helpful, Thanks x :confuse:
  • canaanavcanaanav Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same exact problem, same car, same miles. I'm looking it this now. I took my radiator fans out thinking that they were the problem but no fix. Any new revelations? Could it be the AC pump?
  • vwgrrrlvwgrrrl Member Posts: 19
    I noticed when it's hot out, I have a hard time cranking the engine and it won't turn over right away. In the cooler weather, it isn't as bad. I've had the battery changed and the spark plugs replaced but still have the same problem. Someone said it might be the ignition coil but I don't know. Has anyone had the same problem?

2004 Passat GLS 1.8 Turbo - 40,000k miles.
  • vwgrrrlvwgrrrl Member Posts: 19
    What is it with the VW's and the interior fog issue? It fogs way more than other non-VW cars. Is there a leak somewhere or is it just a fog-happy car? The defroster takes a while before it actually goes away, if at all. Anyone else experience this?

2004 Passat GLS 1.8 Turbo - 40,000k miles
    Our Passat fogs waaayyyy less than our Honda Accord.

If I were you, I'd want to check the entire car for water intrusion. Check these trouble spots - all four footwells under the mats. Make sure that no water is collecting under the hood in the air plenum space - that's the area where the battery is, between the engine and the lower windshield edge. You'll need to, at the very least slide open the little hatch over the battery and peek in below the battery.

You'll also want to make sure that the air conditioning condensate is actually dripping onto the road surface, and not backing up and getting into the car.

Check the trunk and the spare tire well, too. Feel all around to make sure all the carpeting and pads are dry.

Finally, you'll want to make sure that the sunroof drip hoses aren't obstructed.

Post again with your findings.

PS: You do have the HVAC air recycling button off, right?
  • sadie14sadie14 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to figure out what is the fluid container on the front right side of the engine closest to the bumper? It's not identified in the manual and the fluid is LOW! It is in front of fuse box on my 2001 Passat 1.8t engine.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "the sunroof drip hoses aren't obstructed"

If I am not mistaken, as a part of recall, the drip hoses are now cut flush with body of the car. If they are not it maybe worthwile to get to the VW dealer and apply all recalls.

Krzys
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    Hello, there are four containers which are power steering, brake , transmission and washer. I expect the container to which you are referring is transmission. The power steering may be marked hydraulic and is likely closer to center of engine compartment , the brake should be identified but is likely at the back and near the center. Before you add anything you should check with a mechanic to ensure the proper fluid is added.
    Your comment about it being on the right front of the car is confusing me. Do you mean the one directly in front of the windshield washer reservoir? Or, put another way, on the driver's side of the car? If so, that's the power steering fluid. On my '03 model, it has a green cap, with the imprint of a drop of liquid and the outline of a steering wheel. AND I suggest that you buy the PS fluid at your VW dealer. But make by checking your owner's manual.
  • mitchellcmitchellc Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, im new to this forum so let me know if ive come to the wrong place.

I have a Passat B5 1998 2.8L V6 sedan with a major lock issue.
    Now when I insert the key in the drivers side lock, and turn the key to lock the door (turn it to 9 o-clock) the doors will lock, but when I flip the key back to the 12 0-clock position to take it out of the lock the doors all unlock again and windows go down as this is a standard function of the passats if the door lock is turned for a couple of seconds.
    If I use the boot to lock the car it works fine. Sometimes when I try to lock/unlock it the doors all work fine and off I go, but the majority of times I have the problem. The same thing happends when I unlock the car, the doors all unlock then lock again.
    I have had the drivers side door lock mechanism replaced and this solved nothing. I have no idea what to do with it and would love to get this fixed.
    If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know. Also let me know if you need more info.
    Thanks a lot guys, have a great day.
  • ssjeffrey6ssjeffrey6 Member Posts: 1
    hello. i have just noticed the horn does not work...where are the fuses/fuse box located? thanks. srj
  • iscariotiscariot Member Posts: 1
    A few days ago, I noticed that the back right seat floor was wet with what seemed to be water. I soaked it up with towels, and let it dry out. Today, I was on my way to get a cleaner for the carpet when I heard water sloshing around. I looked back to see what it was, but there was nothing back there that could be spilling water.

There was a puddle of water in the back seat, and the bottom of the car below the puddle is wet. So there is obviously water inside the car.

Where is it coming from, and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Do you have a moonroof? If so, suspect that the drains are clogged and have them checked right away. It will get worse, trust me, and the water on the back seat is a bad sign. Signed, voice of wet experience. :shades:

If you don't have a moonroof, perhaps someone else has another idea, but clogged moonroof drains are where my money is.
    Here's your list of things to check:

1) as already suggested, the sunroof drains. You'll find one each near the front door hinges when the doors arre fully open. There is a recall to have the tips of these drains snipped off to help eliminate the clogging issue. You will find one drain each behind the rear wheels.

2) A/C drain: Has been known to clog and allow A/C condensate to find its way into the interior of the car.

3) Air Plenum drains: There are two drains in the area at the base of the windshield between the two firewalls. One is under the brake booster and the other is directly under the battery. If these are clogged, you will hear water sloshing around. If sufficient water has collected there, it can enter the car through the HVAC air inlet (there is a recall on resealing the air inlet gasket, but I don't know if it applies to your year).

4) Door gasket: Could be leaking.

What you need to tell is more detail about when this occurs: A/C running? Raining out?

Good luck with this. You'll want to make sure that the water is not intruding into the front footwells, as there are electronic control modules under the carpets under both the driver and passenger feet.
  • veedub4veedub4 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 1998 passat. the fuse boxes should be in the same spot. if you open your driver door, about as high as the steering wheel, it is on the left side that owuld be normally covered by the door.
  • benfanbenfan Member Posts: 1
    This will be a second car -- have a 99 collora with 110Km, still runs great. I located this car at a small dealer. AWD, only 48,000 miles, ask $9,000. Heard a lot of problems about VW. I went there and took a test drive yesterday. This car runs smothly. The exterior looks good, except part of the cover of the radio antenna tore out. The inside looks old. Do you think it is a signal that this car was not maintenance well? I do not expect to spend thousand $ on the car maintenance.
    Would you please give me some suggestion? Thanks!
  • inthegardeninthegarden Member Posts: 1
    I am on my 4th VW Passat, this one an awesome wagon. I put about 32,000 miles on the car each year and when I reach 70K big things start to go wrong or wear out but I still have 3 years to pay off the car. This is a big dilemma because each time I trade in the car (usually around 70-80K because expensive problems are right around the corner) I take a large hit due to high mileage and have to carry over the outstanding balance to the new car loan...It's been driving up my monthly payment considerably since 2000 when I bought my first VW. So, my problem is that I LOVE VW Passats but they don't seem to hold up without very expensive repairs past 80K. I can't afford the high monthly payment and the repairs (way beyond warranty of course). Is the only suggestion to buy outside of VW? Camrys and Accords are boring and plain and not nearly as sporty and fun. I need a really durable, fun, sporty, affordable car that I can drive until at least it's paid off without the expensive repairs so early on. Any suggestions?
  • blitzg99blitzg99 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,

I have a VW Passat 2003 ( 1.8 L, GLS) with 60 k miles on it. I recently took it to an independent car repair shop for 60 k maintainence and they showed me that grease is coming out of the left front axle and recommended changing the whole left front assembly for $300. My car presently does not have any driving issues. Does this repair charge sound reasonable. I have heard people say that I could probably get away by just changing the boot for much less. Does any one have any thing to share on this.

Also can someone pls. recommend a good realiable car repair shop around Oakdale, Maplewood,Woodbury area in Twin Cities, Minnesota.

Thanks in advance,
    I have not found a mechanic that will recommend Passat because of the numerous repairs and costs. It a piece of garbage. I went from a SAAB to this Passat and I have been kicking myself ever since. Saab was twice the car, 1/4 the trouble and twice the fun to drive. Boring is not a word you will use with Saab. If I ever get this Passat fixed so that there is nothing wrong I will not drive it again and will offer it for sale.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Probably by the time you drop the axle and replace both boots (no sense just replacing one, since the other could go anytime) and clean the CV joints to inspect them (no sense not visually inspecting them while they are on the bench), you might indeed be better off just putting in a complete axle kit on that side. Get an estimate for both approaches. And have the boots on the other side inspected carefully for splitting or cracks.
  • vradivojvradivoj Member Posts: 1
    The compass on my 2007 Passat is off and needs to be reset. When I am traveling North, it says I am going East. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
  • chuckhansonchuckhanson Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2005 Passat TDI. It how has 90,000 miles on it. I have had to replace the CV boots on both sides and two headlamps; otherwise no non-routine maintenance. I fully intend to run this car past 200,000 miles. I went through all the misery of two Cadillacs and one Honda CRV before I bought the Passat. I have never been so happy with a car. One of my employees purchased a new Passat and has had nothing but troubles with it. I believe she has replaced everything on the car. I don't understand the difference.

Chuck Hanson
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
    The situation, as I see it, is that you got lucky and she, like most of us, bought another lemon. You are the exception to the rule. I could not begin to list the things I've replaced in past 6 months alone. If I can get it to a state where there are no more repairs. I park it until it is sold. NEVER, EVER, to buy another,.
  • dubloverdublover Member Posts: 1
    so i absolutely love owning vw's i used to own a passat and i would honestly say if u haven bought it yet, DONT!!!!! i owned an 01 passat gls and it was a nightmare car. i had soooo many problems with it and i am not hard on my cars at all. my mechanic is solely just a German auto mechanic that specializes in vw and they enlightened me with the info that the problems i had were very common with passats. i now own an 01 jetta 1.8t and i love it love it!!! jettas are way better than passats little less luxury but deff worth it. and if its only 8k i would say something is deff wrong with it. well good luck if u did purchase it cause vee dubs are awesome cars if u didnt purchase it start looking into jettas and golfs!!!!!
  • bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    I own an 02 Passat Wagon GLS (bought new) and have not had many of the problems others list. Guess, I have been lucky? It's got 70K...did have to replace both CV boots (cracks) and had several recalls performed (I would check on this). Also, spent the $$ and did the Timing belt, water pump, etc...($1K), but plan to keep a while and feel it was worth it.

My advice would be to have a mechanic that specializes in VW thoroughly check it out. Big issue to me is whether the oil has been changed within the correct intervals and with the correct oil.

I love my VW, however, maintenance seems to be the key and not knowing if routine maintenance was preformed scares me a bit. Good luck.
  • jpmnovajpmnova Member Posts: 15
    I currently own an 01 passat gls and could not be happier - 132K miles on it and have had minimal repairs. Bought the car new. I did the timing belt at 90K. Interesting how everyone's experience is different....
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    We just dumped the Passat 2.0T.

We will never not only buy another VW for as long as we live (my wife and I), but I doubt we'll ever buy any turbo motor containing vehicle again.

I have a firm conviction that turbos in non-diesel engines is a marriage destined for inevitable failure. A ticking time bomb, rolling hand grenade, firing pin pulled, balanced precariously over the road.

I even wonder about the diesel turbo marriage.
    What were the problems?

Krzys
  • jlabrunojlabruno Member Posts: 4
    Trying to find out how to replace the low/high beam headlight bulb on the drivers siide.
  • redsoxfansredsoxfans Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at buying a 2004 Passat wagon. A USED 2004 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT GLS 1.8T 4MOTION. I have never owned a VW, and after reading this forum, I am afraid to buy it. Price is 9K and it has 70K miles. Should I be afraid?
    If you have to ask the question you already know the answer. You should be scared silly. Do yourself a big favour and find something else. Passat___ NO< NO< NO.
    With thousands of cars made every day you don't need this problem.
    Mark
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I would sure do the following:

1. Try to find out the car's maintenance and repair history

2. Have it gone over with a fine tooth comb at an independent repair shop, and make sure they check for a) engine sludge b) debris in the auto. trans oil pan/check fluid c) examine all CV joints and their rubber bellows d) check for unusual tire wear and e) do a cylinder leakdown test for possible oil burning.
    Thanks for the responses. We talked to our mechanic, who said we should stay away from the Passat. He said he has seen problems with windows falling down, then a woman at work heard my husband talking about it and said she was riding in her boyfriends 2007 Passat wagon, when the window just fell down.

Looks like we might skip the Passat, although it is a beautiful car. We are looking for a small station wagon, and it seems the only thing left is the Toyota Matrix or Subaru.
  • dbrozhnikdbrozhnik Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. My 2003 Passat GL 1.8T (at 100,300 miles, going strong) will need a new battery before the next winter. (Old battery works fine, but to keep it through Midwest winter #7 will be pushin' my luck).
    Any suggestions on the best cost/benefit deal out there for a new battery for this car? Brand, price, sources?
    Thanks!
    b
  • volvoluvr1volvoluvr1 Member Posts: 1
    Have you ever considered a Volvo? I was searching for my 3rd one, when I saw a Passat wagon at a great price. After reading all of the horror stories, I can realize what a great car the Volvo is. Practical, economical, luxurious, and fun to drive. The only reason I'm looking again, is after 5 years and 170,000 miles, I would like a change. A 2 year old V70 will cost you as much as a new Matrix, and about the same as a comparable Subaru.
    THank you for the suggestion. I might look at the Volvo. I have always considered the Volvo to be an expensive, and have not really looked at it. THanks for the suggestion.
  • elburnelburn Member Posts: 4
    Driving to work today, the OBD light for emissions came on, running steady. I do not live in an area where I have mandatory emission testing. Here is my question: what are the repercussions of not repairing the catalytic converter (I am assuming the needed repair)? Will I have long term damage to my engine? I am worried since I am an unlucky survivor of an oil sludge problem and 4K repair!
  • navyguy1990navyguy1990 Member Posts: 71
    I left my 2003 Passat in a torrential downpour, but it was parked in an elevated area. Don't know if it was struck by lightening, but when I started the car, I received ABS/ TRS/ Air Bag/ and Check Engine warning lights come on simultaneously. I can start the car up without any problem and all other electrical systems seem to be functioning correctly, but I can't shift out of "Park" because the interlock for the brake won't unlock although I'm stepping on the brake. Did anybody else experienced this? I'm at a foreign country and I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Navy Guy
    Since you are or were in the Navy.
    Look for water inside the car. VW decided to put electronics on the floor beneath front seats. If it gets wet it malfunctions.

Krzys
    Krzys,
    I'm still in the Navy, but working at an Army garrison. Thank you for the advice. I'll check for water intrusion inside the front seats.

Navy Guy
    Krzys,
    You're right about the water intrusion. I've found about a quart of water in the right side of the vehicle (I've parked it with about 5 deg angle to that side). The back right floor board was pretty much flooded. I barely made it to a local garage, and the mechanic told me that he'll take the floor board out to completely drain the water and dry out the computer module. What do I need to do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Navy Guy
    You need to find the source of the water intrusion. Passats are known for this problem. Check the drains in the iar plenum area (that's where the battery is under the hood). There is a drain hole under the battery and one under the brake booster. Clear those and remove the plastic inserts from those drains. Wter can build up in that area and enter the car through the ventilation system. http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/ is a nice writeup on this issue (the car pictured is English, so some components are reversed in position.

There was a recall in the US for replacing the seal on the air intake on the ventilation system, but I don't know if you can get that done in Korea (IIRC).

Next cut off the ends of the sunroof drain tubes located near the upper hinge of the front doors. They are black and they are tappered. THis will help reduce the risk of having the sunroof flood the car.

Good luck!