Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    mileage is 55,000.5 year old.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I don't know if they do this in California, with their super strict rules about cars, but I would suggest going to an auto parts store like Advance or Auto Zone and using their free OBDII scanner. Get the codes that the scanner will pull and then post them here or google them and see what's up.

A check engine light has nothing directly to do with telling you when to change the oil. But a scan will tell alot more than you know now. Good luck and post again with the codes!
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    jimbo92: As is normally the case, altair4 has some good advice...get a scan on this. My '02 Passat has the chronic CEL plague...getting real sick of it. A few questions/comments: With the prices you're being quoted, I'm guessing daughter is taking this to a dealership, right? I say find a trustworthy independent shop that specializes in Eurocars, either through word of mouth or blind luck through the Yellow Pages. I question the need to replace the TB at 55K...I think spec is 90K, although many owners opt for 70-80K due to the possibility of ruining the engine if belt breaks. Also, if one CV boot is bad, the other ones will likely fail soon, so get ALL of them replaced ASAP or the CV joints will go next...that means BIG dollars. vwdawg
    thanks,altair4 and vwdawg,prices and work quoted were from vw dealership in roseville,ca.she had right cv boot replaced last year under warranty,dont know if outer or inner.She has always used this dealership from the first oil change,and the service advisor suggested to replace TB/tensioner.Brakes were never done on this car.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    It is supposed to last 105K miles, and there is not time limit but I know one person who had it snapped because of age not milage.
    Still 5 years is quite early, I would wait a year or two but it is not my car and if belt snaps one needs new engine.
    MIL (check engine light) find auto part store (like Auto Zone) and many of them scan OBDII errors for free hoping that you buy parts from them.

Krzys
    edited May 2010
    Krzyss is right - the manual says change the timing belt at 105K miles. I've got an '03 and I'm getting mine done at 75K. I'm a low mileage kind of guy, but the belt is getting long in the tooth and I don't want to ruin the head on the engine.

BTW, I'll be getting the water pump, belt tensioner, and thermostat done along with the other drive belts. SInce they're all in the same area, and at least somewhat related, it makes sense to get it all done at the same time.

I'm intrigued by the recommendation to replace an inner CV boot. I have never had an inner boot go bad, on any car. They simply don't flex nearly as much as the outer ones.

Gotta say - their prices sound high. I won't buy tires from a VW dealer - they're just not that competitive.
    She just faxed me the vehicle inspection sheet,33 point inspection,timing belt beginning to crack,TB,tensioner,dampener,gal of coolant,water pump,$1134.Front tires heavy wear,$745.Recommend outer tie rod ends ,$456.Driver side outer c.v.boot $321.Alignment,$125.Would really help if somebody knows a good vw shop around sacramento.She knows nothing about cars,she just wanted a new passat after finishing college.
    TIming Belt: For a dealer, that's probably in the neighborhood.
    Tires: Is that $745 for four or two? You can do way better at a tire shop for a name brand tire.
    Tie Rod Ends: Seems low mileage for that one. No idea on pricing.
    Driver Side CV Boot: Is the $321 for a new boot, or for a replacement half shaft? Is the boot torn open already? I had two outer boots done two years at a VW dealer for $350 (I caught them before they were open and contaminated).
    Alignment: Maybe a tad high.
    Price is for a set of four Michelin tires,mounting/balancing included,Driver side cv boot,is for cv boot only.Right side cv boot was replaced under warranty.Boot is torn according to inspection report.
    I just ran a search on Tirerack.com for Michelins in 195/65-15 (stock on my Passat), with delivery, and local mounting/balancing. 4 new tires came in around $580. My personal experience is that you can probably find a local shop that will meet that price. Or you can get another name-brand like Bridgestone and $20 or more off the price of each tire.

How far away are you from your daughter? It sounds to me like she needs a little Dad time so she doesn't get completely ripped off.
    She has a 2005 GLS sedan,1.8T,tire size 205/55-16,and she is in Sacramento,I am in Los Angeles,400 miles apart.She commutes to work 25 miles each way,5 days a week.
    Just checked with my dealer - $946 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, rollers, the whole 9 yards.
    Hi altair4,my daughter finally found a private shop in roseville,had driver side cv boot replaced,$244,she did not tell them about the check engine light,but when she picked up her car,they told her that they checked it and reset it,if it comes on again,she will have to replace a part.They did not charge her for checking and resetting.She faxed me the bill,and work order,on it it mentions,16825 evap emission control system;incorrect flow.P0441-002-lower limit exceeded-mil on.
    she called me today,the check engine light came on again.
  • paddymcbridepaddymcbride Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 passat 1.8 with 84K on it.. The car has been treated like a baby and still has had nothing but problems. I bought it for a steal from my step mom to use to get me by until I could afford a new car. I have had this car for under 10k and I have replaced a clutch, both cv boots as well as joints, then eventually the whole axel when it failed the 2nd time.. I was driving on the highway yesterday at 80 mph when the car just shut off .. I limped it to the side of the road and had it towed, while trying to avoid getting killed... This is it for this car.. I am going to fix it and get rid of it, but I am wondering what could have caused this. I have read some similar problems, however, there was no over heating, no loud noises, no leaks, just pure failure.. I guess I shouldn't have been shocked when I took it into the dealer at 2pm on a friday and they told me they couldn't even look at it until next week.. but I am wondering what could have caused this. I am thankful that I could get it off the highway travel lanes, and I didn't get hurt.. but this is a serious and dangerous problem.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I am sure the dealer is going to make me have to sell a kidney to have to fix it.. but it has to run for me to sell it..
  • my03lemonmy03lemon Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    I am experiencing the same clicking noise; specifically when turning left in the morning when the car is still warming up. I was told this could be CV boots need replaced. My car is an 03 Passat with just over 75k on it. I need to do a little shopping around....any idea what a reasonable rate would be to get this repaired. Dealer told me over $700 and I have a LAUNDRY LIST of other problems as well as my 75k service so cost is a huge concern.
    (Consumer FYI -> I have been having problems since first week of purchase...huge safety hazards, etc....I am driving around in what is considered a 'total loss' therefore can not trade it in & can not sell it cause my loan balance is so high I could buy a whole other car $$,$$$....manufacture declines any responsibility what-so-ever....proceed with caution & do your homework before you buy!)
  • paddymcbridepaddymcbride Member Posts: 2
    You are right about the clicking.. I can almost guarantee that it is the CV joints. I myself have a similar 98 Passat that has 85k on it. I bought it because I knew the previous owner and it was babied it whole life. The second week I had it, everything started to go wrong.. I have replaced both joints, and eventually the whole front axle. That clicking will start when you are turning, then it will be spurattic all the time, then eventually if you let it go, it will go to failure and you will be really screwed. $700 is pretty legit, I got stung for a lot more than that, later learning that you don't need vw parts, there are aftermarket parts that are cheaper. Mine went at about the same mileage. Lucky me, I just dropped the timing belt ( while I was driving at highway speed) My intention was to get it fixed and then immediately get rid of it for whatever money I could get on a trade, however it has been sitting at the dealership for almost a week without them even looking at it. Of course VW has declined any sort or responsibility for anything that has gone wrong with mine the whole time I have owned it as well. I am a reasonable person, I understand things break on cars, but this passat is rediculous. And the safety issues are rediculous... unless you are a mechanic, these cars at complete lemons... good luck....
    edited June 2010
    Just to be clear - it's not just going to be the CV boots. If it's clicking as you say, the boot is likely already torn, the grease has escaped and the joint has become contaminated. The joint will need to be replaced (in my experience, they'll just replace the entire half shaft).

I'd check into local indie shops. You might want to consider getting a replacement from Raxles.com. I personally haven't used them, but they have an outstanding reputation around other Passat forums. They use a new joint, not a regrind.

BTW, if the boot on one side is torn, it's likely the other side outer boot is toast or will be soon. My OEM boots were replaced at 45,000 miles, when they showed signs of cracking (but had not yet opened). So far, at 72,000 miles, the replacement boots still look good.
    Hello my03lemon: paddymcbride and altair4 have it right. If your CV joint has a click, it's sick. Don't waste your dough on boot replacement, as that joint will likely fail in the near future. Rebuilding the joints is also a waste of time, considering that you can buy new aftermarket CV joints for $75-$150 each (try raxles, fcpgroton, autohausaz, europartsdirect, etc.). Of course, if you buy them yourself, you'll either have to install them or find a mechanic who's willing to do the work with YOUR parts. If you want to try to install them yourself, not a terribly difficult task...check the various forums like this one...great info from those who have been there, done that. If you're not a "do it yourselfer", it's always good to establish a relationship with a quality indie shop...they may be willing to install your parts if you are a regular customer, even though that's not what they usually prefer to do. Re: that other boot...make sure you check it asap. I would say just replace it, as Passats are notorious for boot failure, and once it's cracked or torn, the crud will get into the joint and it's toast. Good luck, vwdawg
    Yup, unfortunately not much of a do-it-yourselfer but this is definately useful information for me to move forward and start getting some of the 'crap' fixed on my 'lemon'. Thank you everybody for all of the helpful info=)
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a 2000 Passat which constantly gave me troubles; big expensive troubles. I got everything fixed and parked it to sell. Sold it a short time ago and had to visit my mechanic about 10 days later. the new owner had been in because of check light. there were 11 new codes showing on the diagnostic. Makes me shudder to think about it. If you know you have a lemon the best thing is to get rid of it. That beast can bleed you dry. I'll NEVER own another VW.
  • mzumzu Member Posts: 1
    Hans,

I have the same problem - can you provide more information how did you conclude that it is ingnition switch and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks
    MZU
    You realize, I hope, that you are replying to a 5 year old post? List out your problems and let's see what we can do to help you.
  • confused2010confused2010 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2000 Passat with 106k miles from a private party. I recently had a minor repair done at the dealer. Their service people said they had no record of the vehicle's TIMING BELT ever having been replaced and they repeatedly stressed the need to do so, painting all sorts of horrendous scenarios if I don't and it busts for some reason.

The price -- depending on who I was talking to -- ranged from $1300-$2000.

How can I tell if it actually does need replacing? Concerned I'm being snookered into something that doesn't have to be done.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a pricey quote--you might inquire what all this includes--some quotes just do the belt, others include idler pulleys, and others include water pump.

If you can't verify that the belt wasn't changed, you pretty much are up against the wall here---if it breaks, and you bent the valves or worse, this car is pretty much totaled. :cry:
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Shiftright is right on the money. If you can't verify it's been done, then you need to get it done. You could go back to the private party and ask them if they did it or had it done at an independent repair shop. If they say yes, see if they have a receipt. If it's not been done, you're driving on borrowed time.

I agree with Shiftright that the price seems a bit high. I had mine done in my 1999 Passat V6 at the dealer and paid only $900, but that was about 4 years ago. I think an independent shop that specializes in Euro cars might be worth a look-see as well.

And definitely make sure you get the water pump done too. A good mechanic should include it in his or her estimate, but just verify that it is being done as well.

Happy Driving!
    confused2010: The replies from Shiftright and bronsonb that follow are both right on the money. YES, the quoted price sounds very high...$900-1,000 is more realistic. There are good VW dealers and bad ones...I prefer a good indie shop that knows V-dubs, so shop around. YES, you had better have it done if you can't verify past work. My understanding is that removing the TB cover and inspecting the belt may show its condition, but that might be a bit iffy. Another tidbit: If you do have the belt done, BE SURE to have the water pump, BELT TENSIONER and THERMOSTAT done at the same time. Changing the thermo later as a separate job runs around $300! All of this normally included with a TB change. vwdawg
  • chuckhansonchuckhanson Member Posts: 16
    I had the timiing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced on my 2005 Passat TDI at 90,000 miles. The total cost was $900 at the VW dealership in Germantown, TN.

Like everyone else has said, if you don't know and you have 90,000 miles on the car, change it. It is unlikely that the last person did not have it done.
  • confused2010confused2010 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all, I appreciate your advice.
  • nycrknycrk Member Posts: 2
    Can someone help with some advice? I have a 2008 VW Passat 2.0T that I've gotten brand new and now I only have a total of about 8700 miles after about 2.5 yrs. I have already gotten the oil changed about 4 times, can someone provide some insight on driving less than 5k miles per year and how often should I change the oil and do other maintenance?">
    nycrk: Personally, I would view four oil changes in 2.5 years and 8700 miles as unnecessary. Perhaps altair or shiftright could shed some light on this. I think I would just change it once per year...that would be conservative enough. On the other hand, and more importantly, I would want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that whoever is changing your oil is using the correct VW spec for the 2.0T, which I assume the is same as it has been for the 1.8T...502.00 AND NOTHING LESS. You could end up with sludge problems and/or a voided warranty if otherwise. My daughter who is driving my '06 Golf brought it to the local tire/service shop and the idiots put in some Pennzoil 5w 20 or similar. Don't assume that your oil change guy/gal knows what the heck they are doing! Regarding "other maintenance", follow your manual or go online, there are a number of sources like Edmunds that can provide normal maintenance schedules for your car. vwdawg
    I guess it sort of depends on how you accumulate the mileage that you are putting on. Is this all really short trips, in city? Or does the car get out on the highway and up to speed for, say, an hour or so?

If I were in your boat, I'd probably go to an oil change once a year, but I'd make certain that the oil used is the proper synthetic that the engine calls for.

None of this is based on any VW approved schedule, it's just what I would do. BTW, I'd really try and get the car out on the open highway at least once a month to get the moisture out of the oil.
  • nycrknycrk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I only take the car to get serviced at the VW dealership and its always been synthetic. I do a lot of local city driving here in NYC but every once in a while i'll take it out on the highway. I think i will just stick to the once a yr change since that seems like the best route. Also, is anyone familiar with the brake fluid change? According to the manual it says that it should be done after the first 3 yrs on a passat but one local dealerships here say its not necessary and one says to do it every 2 yrs. I am planning on sticking with the manual but wanted to know if anyone has had this service done?
    edited July 2010
    nycrk, I've stuck with the every two brake fluid change on my '03 Passat; in fact, I'm due for my fourth brake fluid change this autumn. It's not that expensive of a service.

Since brake fluid attracts and retains moisture, and moisture in brake fluid encourages rust and degrades brake performance, the change is not dictated by mielage, but rather by time.

Again, if I were you, I'd stick to the manual's recommendation in this area. Given your low mileage, you don't want to develop a sticking brake piston in one of the calipers due to rust in the system. Good luck.
  • scubasteve0800scubasteve0800 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 passat v6 auto the front end is vibrating when i accel is it my cv joints or something worse
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    CV joints is a good guess and requires your immediate attention. You could also have a badly bent tire rim or some loose steering or suspension piece. By all means, stop driving this car and get it looked at.
  • skoidat69skoidat69 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Passat 2.5 years ago as a CPO. It had about 12,000 miles and was an awesome car. Fast forward to today at 42,000 miles. I took it in for it's 40,000 mile servicing and the rear brakes are shot as well as all 4 tires. But at the 35,000 mile servicing everything was fine so either my wife drives like Mario Andretti or someone at the VW dealership dropped the ball. While I was at the dealership yesterday, there were 3 other people in for new brakes on VWs with LESS than 30,000 miles. I call VW to discuss this and was told it's wear and tear..oh here's $100 for being a loyal customer. Be very leary of VW dealerships in the midwest.. I loved my dealership in the Philly area.
    Don't be to surprised as several other things began to fail on this car. I bought an 03 Passat a few years ago. Within the 1st week a had brake problems. They too told me it was fine. A year later they were so bad (squealing) they had to be replaced completely. To top it off the previous owner had new brakes installed by the VW DEALER no more then 2 years prior. Upon questioning I was simply told "well things go bad...sometimes in 2 years....sometimes longer". So, does this mean then that VW does not guarantee major work for more then 2 years! What's the average lifespan of brakes......humm!
    I went on to have a laundry list of issues with this car - power window issues - CV boots going out 40k miles prior to the recommended 100k - trunk leaks - filter leaks - engine leaks - sun roof leaks (causing MOLD) - valve cover leaks - engine leaks - faulty ignition coils almost causing an accident - and the list goes on and on.
    The only responsibility VW cares to take is to open their mouth enough to say "there is nothing we will do because you are out of warranty". Do yourself a huge favor and get rid our your VW before it starts to interrupt your life because it is only a matter or time. Thats the one thing you probably can count on with Volkswagen. ">
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    hey my03lemon,

it depends on driver. If one rides your brakes they will last shorter than somebody barely using them. Do you use engine to slow down or brakes?

Nobody that I know guarantees "major work for more then 2 years". I have heard 6 months, maybe a year but no longer.

Krzys
  • blanche3blanche3 Member Posts: 2
    well, i just learned also that my rear brakes need to be replaced....2 years and 21K after completely replaced the first time. I don't ride the brakes or drive in a city anymore. is there any chance i'd be able to get some kind of reimbursement from VW? i'm guessing not, but this is annoying to say the least. i keep up w/all repairs as recommended...
    Not unusual for the Passat. I've replaced the original rear pads and rotors at 20,000 miles, and pretty much every 20,000 miles since then. And based on several model specific forums, I know that I'm not the only one.

The pundits opine that the Passat has a higher rear brake bias than other cars. Could be, I dunno. Rears on this car last half as long as the front pads for my mainly suburban driving. And I downshift for the steep grades in my area. The real irony of the design is that the front pads are the ones with the wear sensors!
  • blanche3blanche3 Member Posts: 2
    i see....thanks for the info!
  • photodad3855photodad3855 Member Posts: 11
    Sad (and happy) to say my 2003 Passat is dead. I'll never have to see another "check engine" light or a STOP car and do not pass go. Leaking water into my glove box and onto the carpet in the back was problem one. Next I replaced CV boots (never heard of them before). I was in the garage several times for the infamous "check engine" light. An oil change usually took care of it, plus some added "it's due for replacement. Hard to get out of the shop without $500-1000 repair bills. I was totally unprepared for the maintenance (cost and time) it would take to keep this vehicle on the road.
    The last breath was when the "STOP" light and "check antifreeze" lights came on. The car came to a dead stop. Had to have it towed to a VW dealer in Harrisburg, PA. Told that the timing belt broke and the engine suffered major damage.
    I had the option of replacing the engine. Estimate was $6-7,000. I would have paid it (I have 96,000 miles on it) but the dealer said they would only guarantee the parts for 3-6 months. They would NOT guarantee the labor AT ALL. So, I'm selling it to a salvage yard for $750.
    It was a fun car to drive but there will never be a VW in my driveway again! I don't have the time or the money to maintain it. Too bad.
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    Sorry to hear about your trouble but not getting it fixed was a smart move. I have had dozens of cars over the years and the Passat was the absolute worst car I ever had the misfortune to own. Even an old Vauxhall Viva was much more reliable.
    I will never buy another VW either.
    Got a chuckle out of the part of your post saying you never heard of CV boots before. I've owned FWD cars since the late 1970's and every one of them - Japanese, Domestic, or European - at some point or another had the CV boots and/or joints replaced. So I'm guessing this was your first FWD car or you hadn't ever keep a car as long as you have this one.

Your timing belt story is a good warning to other owners, though. VW's service recommendation is 105K miles. Did you have the recommended timing belt inspections done at the previous mileage levels (IIRC, at 60K and then at 80K)? Common wisdom on the internet is don't wait till the 105K. I'm going to get mine done at 80K.

Sorry to hear your misfortune. So, what did you buy to replace it?
    Yes, this was my first FWD car so CV boot was something new.
    I did not have my timing belt checked. Although my dealer did recommend the 60K and 80K service checks. I'm old school so if it "ain't broke, don't fix it." I always had the oil changed and fluids checked but, well, now I'm paying for it. My fault. Although a good mechanic would have pulled me aside and said YOU MUST HAVE THIS REPLACED. I've been kicking myself all week. It is the first and last VW. The maintenance is just too expensive for me. That was part of my procrastination too. I got a rental (Hyundai Accent) so I could get to work/school. Liked it alot. Bought a 2004 Hyundai Elantra.
    Hi photodad: Sorry to hear of your misfortunes here. As altair4 suggests in his reply, 105k (or 90k in the case of my '97 A4 2.8) means very little in terms of a safe mileage to change the belt. I was lucky...I found out about VW/Passat TB problems before mine broke, and changed mine as soon as I found out about thIs issue. Now I have to face this problem with my '02 Passat 1.8T...not real excited about dumping a grand into a $3,000 car that has been mostly a pain in the butt since I bought it five years ago (CELs, CV joints, coils, cat converter, oil sludge fears, and now the TB change), but I guess there's not much choice. I was talking to a friend a few weeks back...I knew his '99 Passat was approaching 100k, so was going to remind him to change that belt. Oops...he doesn't have it anymore...donated it to a charity...surprise, surprise!, TB broke and toasted the engine! I have owned five or six Vdubs, but my '02 has really soured me on the brand. If you are VW savvy and willing to do your homework, like altair4 and others, you can have success with the Passat, but until I get the word that VW has made major improvements to this model, I'm staying away. vwdawg
    My '03 Passat was towed away to foreign car graveyard today. The dealer wanted to put a new engine in ($5-7,000) but wouldn't guarantee their labor and only would give me a 3-month warranty on the parts. Couldn't see dumping that much money into a car with 96,000+ miles on it and then taking the chance the newly installed engine would break down on me. BEWARE: replace that TIMING BELT.
  • rosie11rosie11 Member Posts: 6
    Okay, so I know nothing about cars! How do I know when I need new brakes? How do I know what's a fair price? Finally, I want to have this car serviced before the winter and prefer not to deal with the nearest VW dealer. Is any good garage okay to use for a 75,000 mile check up on a 03 Passat. Will they do what needs to be done according to the manual? Or is it really better to go to the dealer. Thanks, sorry for so many inane ?'s!
    The mechanic you use should tell you when your brakes are going bad. Are you in PA? Brakes are on the checklist of our annual vehicle (state) inspection. It should be in your VW manual too. Fair Price? That's a good question. I always thought $$ at the VW dealer were high but figured that was the cost of owning a foreign car. Get some estimates. I never took the time to do that.

I'm not sure I would use a local garage for your 75K checkup. Depends on your local mechanic, If you need parts then the mechanic buys them from the VW dealer and marks them up. I used a local garage for oil changes, etc. but the mileage checks I had done at the dealer. Good luck.