Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ram1500 Experiences

richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I have a 1998 Ram1500 4x4 Club Cab. I have an
automatic tranny 3.55 gears, 265x75r16 tires and
the 5.9l 360V8. I have 5000 miles on it and I love
the truck. It is powerful, has great steering and
brakes and is fun to drive. I have read many
postings with problems such as brakes,
transmission, and alignment issues. I have had no
problems expect for a minor buzz noise in reverse
on occasion and what I feel is an idle that isn't
the smoothest in the world. This is my 1st big v8
vehicle. Overall I am quite happy with my Ram and
would not want any other truck.

Anyone else out there that is happy with their
Ram?

Rich

Comments

• ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Rich
    I just ordered a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab. I too have heard stories about faulty transmissions and bad brakes. However, I have been reassured by other owners that I've made a good choice. If you want to see more information, try the Dodge Ram topic. There's more going on there.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    All the newer vehicles will go thru brakes quicker now because of no asbestos in the pads. The new chevys have discs all around which I think both Ford and Dodge will change to soon. I am well pleased with my '98 quadcab.
  • xl_1228xl_1228 Member Posts: 29
    jcmdie,

1999 F-series trucks made after December 1998 have disc brakes on all 4 wheels.
  • glengleglengle Member Posts: 57
    Just picked up a 1500 2wd reg cab with the 5.9L. I love the truck. I have traditionally been a Ford/Honda owner in the past, so I was a little skeptical about quality. I'll let you know how it goes.

greg
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    My '97 reg cab 4x4 SLT is very comfortable and looks great. However, it's inferior to my '98 F-150 in ride quality, paint quality, braking, and overall "confidence factor".

It's been in the shop twice in the first 20,000 miles for transmission repair(under warranty). It now has a problem(common to Rams, I'm told) of the rear drum brakes not activating properly, resulting in long stops and fast wear on the front brakes. it's a recurring problem, so once the warranty runs out, it could get expensive.

The 5.9 V-8 is powerful, but the Ford's 4.6 is surprisingly more powerful "feeling". It revs more smoothly and with less vibration and roaring. The Ram sounds like it's straining even when it's not, compared to the Ford. The seats in the Ram are the most comfortable out there, and I'll keep my ram for work after the lease is up, but the F-150 and silverado are simply more modern designs, and it shows in many areas.
  • murraymurray Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with "pinging" on my 94 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 engine. It started last summer. The dealer replaced the "oxygenator" on a recall and that seemed to fix the problem but it has now reoccured. The dealership has put it on the scope and found nothing wrong. The only way I can get it to stop pinging is to use premium grade fuel. Can anyone help?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    They should be able to retard the ignition timing to cure the ping. Did they try this? The pattern on the scope would appear the same, before and after an adjustment to ignition timing, so that test proved there is nothing fundamentally wrong. But too little octane for the advance-timing in place will cause ping.
  • markymmarkym Member Posts: 6
    I had a 96 Ram 1500, 5.2L, automatic, SLT. The only trip it made back to the dealer the 3 years I owned it was when I traded it for a 99 Dakota R/T last month. It was a great truck, I put at least 10K miles on it towing a car. I just got bored and fell for the R/T's performance.
  • bigj1bigj1 Member Posts: 3
    Am thinking of purchasing a 99 dodge 1500 quad cab
    4wd auto loaded. Been a Ford man all my life but
    think I like that Dodge better than the new Fords.
    Has the 5.9l and I'm wondering if there is anything anyone can tell me about it, especially on gas milage as I put about 30,000 a year on my trucks.
    thks.
    bibj1
    bigj1:

I have the 5.2L in my 99 Ram 1500 quad cab and I'm only getting 13mpg on average, but I seem to be at the low end from what I've heard.

As far as the Dodge trucks go, so far I love it. I have 2700 miles on it, half highway, half city. I had an F150 before this, and I liked that too. The big difference I've found between the two trucks so far has been the ride. The Dodge is bouncier than my Ford was.
  • richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 98 Ram1500 4x4 360 V8 auto

I have 10,000 miles and avg 13-14 combo city highway. I would definitley go for the 360 over the 318. It is more powerful and gets similar mileage.

The truck is very powerful and drives great,

Rich
    I, too drove Fords for the last 10 years. I now own a Ram 1500 2WD 5.9L.

While I've had a few initial problems (in the shop now being remedied), I still prefer the Dodge truck to the Ford. For what it's worth, I drove the new Silverado and liked the Dodge better than it as well.

I seem to average about 15-16 mpg with the 5.9L with about 50/50% mix of city and highway driving.

Good luck,

Greg
    Man we're butchering your username. Sorry.
    bigj1:

Have you gone to Edmund's buying guide and checked the invoice pricing? That quote sounds a little high to me. I have a 99 1500 quad cab 4x4 fully loaded, the only difference being I have the 5.2L instead of the 5.9L, which I realize costs a little more.
    bigj1 - I bought mine for $100 over invoice with a $400 college grad incentive from my wife bringing it to $300 under invoice. Got 5.9% fixed rate for 60 months as well.
  • bigj1bigj1 Member Posts: 3
    The quote I got was thru Edmunds & it was $4000.oo less than a local dealer. Thats why I thought it seemed pretty good but I have the feeling you pros out there may know something I don't know. Also I was told to check out thru Edmunds on line, what my trade in is worth, but I have,nt figured out to get into that particular screen. Like I mentioned before, I'm kinda new at this computer game>
  • fleetmaster1fleetmaster1 Member Posts: 18
    when you say you have fully loaded truck. and payed less then $28000 that don,t sound like a fully load truck, i did the price check on Edmunds, and it came up with 29300 for dealer cost
    just over $33000 for factory retail price. if your truck has the $ 33000 on the window sticker then you have a fully loaded truck with a 360 engine 4speed A/T 4X4 SPORT 1500. from the factory no dealer add ons.

now who in the right mine would spend that much money on a pickup and use it as a daily diver.

the sticker on my truck was just over $ 33000 but i got it around 28000. now call me silly ha, ha.

SUNNY DAYS AHEAD
  • ramdadramdad Member Posts: 2
    I just drove my 99 ram sport 2wl off the lot last week. Fire engine red and what an eye catcher. I must say I am in heaven. Going from a toyota extra cab to this is like going to heaven. I enjoy reading all your comments. Obviously I haven't experienced any of those problems yet and hope not to. Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Roger
    Daredude91@aol.com
  • flatcoatmanflatcoatman Member Posts: 4
    what do people think about Dodge quality vs ford or chevy? Right now I am ford bias, but like the Dakota club cab 4x4 and the price is right. Any suggestions? Thanks.

P
    I have to say Ford. I was a Ford man, and bought a 99 Ram in February. Now I'm working with Chrysler trying to get them to buy it back after nearly a month in the shop.
  • sottissottis Member Posts: 1
    i'll admit to being a dodge fanatic but i've had great luck with them. i have a 95 club-cab w/ 318
    -- i get 20mpg on the road and 16 in town. most comfortable vehicle i've ever driven.
    i'd love to have one of those new quad-cabs.
    the only thing i wish they would copy from ford is the bed rail and tailgate protectors -- great idea
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Flatcoatman...about your quality question. I own a '98 F-150 and a '97 Ram. I also owned a '95 C-1500 Chevy and a '93 Chevy S-10.

S-10: not a single problem in 50,000 miles, towing a trailer daily.

C-1500: no problems in 27,000 miles, but it was boring and wallowed like a pig.

F-150: other than a cracked rear window fixed under warranty, no problems in 22,000 miles so far.

Ram: been in the shop 3 times for transmission work in first 32,000 miles, once for rear brake problem, the clearcoat is coming off in a few spots ( it's waxed properly and often), CD player has malfunctioned twice and been replaced twice.
    Not a 100% terrible choice if you buy and keep only until the warranty is up, but no way I will keep this vehicle when I have to pay for the repairs myself.

Overall, the F-150 is the most sophisticated of the bunch(quiet, handles well, rides well, smooth power delivery, nice interior), the Ram looks the best, and the S-10 was the best bargain ( bought new for $12,100 driveout, sold three years later for $9,200!)
    flatcoatman:

I hate to admit it, but my F150 was a better made truck than my new Ram 1500. Both great trucks, but the Ford had more kick on acceleration, got better gas mileage and had a better overall fit and finish on interior and exterior trim. It's hard to compare them completely, though. The Ford was a stripped-down model and the Dodge is loaded (more stuff to break). No major mechanical problems with either one.
  • dpettydpetty Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 1994 Dodge Ram till this June (6/99) when I purchased a 1999 Ford XLT super cab.
    The Dodge was a good truck ( never had a problem ) but it rode rough and it drank to much gas (5.9L)

I like my XLT, it rides great, very quiet, and seems to be solid.
    dpetty:

Congrats on your new truck. I must admit, if the Ford dealer had given me as good a deal as the Dodge dealer, I'd be driving another Ford today. I can't say my Ram is worse, just "different." And you're right - it rides rougher and eats more gas.
    To everyone who followed my saga:

My Ram 1500 SLT (2WD, SB, 5.9L) was in the shop 5 times for a total of over a month. Problems still exist. I spoke with a district manager who said she would do nothing more than continue to try and fix it.

The last time I picked it up (Friday) they had put a dent in the hood the size of a baseball and scraped the paint off the edge of the driver's door. All on my new truck with 3000 miles! They have now replaced the transmission, window molding, gas tank, some valve kit, and a plethora of other little things (leaf springs, bushings, brake rotor, etc). As a laugh, the paperwork simply states "Could not reproduce" or "characteristic of the vehicle" for most of these items. No wonder the DM won't help.

To make a long story short? I'm trading it away tonight. The dealer is giving me $18,700 for it, and I'll never look back. To everyone else who owns a Ram, I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope you never go through what I have.

Take care,
    Greg
  • terrywfrazierterrywfrazier Member Posts: 1
    To glengle (if you're still following this forum),

I'm interested in discussing your transaction with DC, especially if you have documentation. Please feel free to contact me directly at <<A HREF="http://terry@frazierinfo.com">mailto:terry@frazierinfo.com>.

Thanks
  • s00jklg1g1s00jklg1g1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 1500 quad sport 4x4, and I must must say that I am beginning to get a bit disappointed, compared to the 96 I traded in. With a little over 12,000 miles, the brakes feel worn out, the doors squeak, and the usual shudder in the wheel. The trans whines in reverse when cold, the A/C is not strong enough for the cab size, and the shifter is still a piece of scrap.
  • gashoggashog Member Posts: 10
    lordbrega @ Post 22,
    My 99 1500 QC 4x4 has the larger 265x75x16 tires and I had wandering and pull right problems when I drove it home from the dealer. Put on about 2K miles and problem remained about the same so took it to the dealer for eval. They did front end alignment and swapped front tires left to right. Truck drives great now!, Doesn't drift or pull even after 9500 miles. I am running 5psi lower pressure in the tires now to reduce the Freeway bounce and that seems to help keep from spilling my coffee on the way to work. If I could just keep it under 75 that might help too. Love to RAM.
    GASHOG
    I HAVE A 98 rAM WITH AUTO TRANNY AND THE 360 V8. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SLIGHT ENGINE PING? ESPECIALLY AT 35-45 MPH GOING UPHILL.

IS THIS NORMAL?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

RICH
  • Blong1Blong1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello rammers,

Anyone notice the fan roaring when the a/c is on and you accellerate? I only have noticed this 2 times when I was accelerating fron a stop on a 100 degree day. (360 V8 auto tranny Ram1500 4x4)

Thanks in advance
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    just your fan clutch kicking in. The A/C makes it come more often, putting more heat thru the radiator. You just happened to step on the gas when it was locked in, and as your engine revved, you heard it roar. Normal.
    Thanks for the info
    You are right.

Rich
  • ssoperssoper Member Posts: 2
    While test driving various '99 Dodge Ram 1500's (4x4) both 5.2L and 5.9L, I noticed some of the trucks had significantly more fan noise (Roar) than others. Does anyone know what would cause the difference in the noise levels? Could the Fan Clutch be engaged continuously?
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    I have a few questions for the Ram owners left in this forum. First off, how is acceleration, and more importantly fuel economy, specifically with the 5.2 (318) and 5.9 (360) engines? And is this thing as mulish of a handler as it is rumored to be? And last, even though all of you seem to have had some kind of mechanical or technical failure in your Ram, would you still rate it as reliable?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Lots of Ram drivers on my block. They love their trucks. They even have a secret club where they take turns picking each other up at the dealer when they have problems with their trucks. Between oil leaks, transmission problems, a/c malfunctions (this is Houston and it is hotter than hell, you are dead without A/C) and general problems with squeaks and rattles. They stick to the creed that the Ram looks better than any other truck on the market. One guy even admitted he would rather be seen broken down on the side of the road in his shinny black Ram than be seen in a sissy ford F-150. Be careful what you ask for - his Ram broke down on I-45 within two weeks and had to be towed in to the dealer because of an electrical problem. Buy what ever you want but over all the Ram will be less reliable and more important the dealer network Dodge has will be harder to work with than any other make. In the final analysis the dealer makes or breaks the overall ownership experience of any truck you buy.
    To answer some of your questions, I can only compare my Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L to my previous truck, an F150 4x4 4.6L.

Acceleration is not as quick or jumpy as the Ford, but still more than adequate. The Ford was sometimes too quick, causing me to chirp the tires at stop signs. The Dodge has plenty of power and shifts smoothly going up long hills.

Fuel economy in the Ram is not as good as it was in the Ford, but I attribute this to the slightly bigger engine in the Ram.

As far as handling, both are easy to handle, with the ride in the Ford being less bumpy. The Dodge has a stiffer suspension, but this makes it actually easier to handle off-road than the Ford.

I have had no mechanical problems with my Ram so far, but I've only got less than 7000 miles on it. I also had no problems with the F150 over the two years I had it.

Hope this helped a little.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
    21,000 miles on my black 1500 4X4 quad cab 5.9 liter dodge. Not a single problem. Somebody is not doing something right in Houston - like scheduled maintainence or a bad dealership.
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    Thanks for all of the responses. Fortunately, dealer problems would not be a problem for me. My Aunt is one of the Regional service reps for DC in our area. Any problems, they get reported. Some of you might want to do likewise if it gets bad enough
  • trailblazer3trailblazer3 Member Posts: 2
    New Ram styling had me kind of puzzled when I first saw a spy shot in the Motor Trend in '93 but when the Club Cab finally came out I was sold. I wanted to wait another year untill 96 to make sure all the bugs were out and also so I can save up enough for a down payment but the day finally came. I had a front shock break, but my wife hit a nice pothole to cause that, and the dealer fixed that. It was fine for a couple of years and after hauling a pallet of grass which was way to heavy for my 1500, I discoverd a rear window leak. The dealer fixed that. It now has 48000 miles on it and it has been the best vehicle period, I've ever owned. Yes the dealership accounts for alot of your feelings about a car but the car itself has to be good to. I rescently dumped my Ford Excrement I mean my Ford Expedition and got my wife an Altima. This was steeming from a bad dealer expierence as well as a poor vehicle. I will not go into to much detail but that was the worst vehicle I ever owned. 1997 Expedition 4X4 with the 5.4 just to put it out there. I have talked to many service advisors and they say the tranny problems with the Rams steem from miss use from the owners. I can see that because I am guilty of that on occassion. My truck has been a god sent and cannot see myself with any other truck. I drive a 1997 F-150 as a company truck and it too is not quality, that is why I ordered a Dodge Ram for my next one here soon. Now its just up to the brass to see how much pull I have. In the south your truck is your life, and mine is just fine. Brakes to wear faster on big trucks like these because of their size. Ask any full size owner and they will tell you about it. But that is no reason to knock the Dodge, they all do that. My only suggestion to Ram owners is to remove the air filter and get a K&N as soon as possible and you should opt for the complete filtercharger system, belive me it works well with the 5.2. I get 21-24 MPG on the interstate since making this change. Ram owners and potential Ram owners, dont be afraid, you have a good truck and will last you a long time. Ouch on the 30K service but the small price to pay to maintain a vehicle, and what is up with the timing belt. A chain would be nice, but whatever, Its still a good truck.
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    What does it cost for the complete filtercharger system? Is it easy to install?
    jcmdie

how can scheduled maintenance or a dealership cause electrical or A/C probs? Transmission problems, yes, can come from bad maintenance; but how has Dodge had the worst transmission reliability this decade? a bunch of irresponsible owners? No. they're just less reliable. You can look those stats up in several places. I've seen them in Carpoint, Consumer Reports, and a dedicated auotmotive transmission website (can't remember address right now) all cited early Dodge tranny failures. The website claimed Dodge tranny's to average 50K, Ford ~100K, and GM ~130-150K.

At 21000 miles, you don't have much out of your truck yet. Besides, I've been pulling a 4000 lb boat, and other heavier loads with a 1/2 ton Chevy with an automatic and NO tow package for 5 years and 95K miles with no probs whatsoever. But, I know that won't convince you that Chevy's are the best to tow with... ;)
    Scheduled maintainence on the transmission allows it to last as it was designed much like changing the oil in your engine. The comment regarding the dealership referred to not getting problems resolved the first time in the shop. Many of the posts regarding trucks not holding up have to do with repeated visits to the dealership (not getting the problem resolved the first time in).
    thats my point. Dodge's latest history shows no matter what maintenance you do to it, good or bad, the tranny's just don't hold up the same life as comparable Ford or Dodges.

Hopefully they've made changes to the '98/'99 models that have corrected that. We won't know for another year or so....
  • bamsambamsam Member Posts: 1
    looking for , d350 5.9cummings diseal repair munual to cover up to a 1992 dodge ram picktruck
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    info in Dodge Ram - II (Topic #865).

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
This discussion has been closed.