Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• knfordknford Member Posts: 4
    The warranty is through 1sourceautowarranty.com. They were highly recommended on a review board and seems pretty ligit. I do plan to keep the car for atleast four or five years. I agree, 60,000 miles will not last long, probably not longer than 2.5 to 3 years. We've had some issues with the car already and have not owned it long. With repair shops charging $95/hr for labor in the twin cities, $2600 will be used up pretty quickly.
  • lqvlqv Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately I cannot help you with the hesitation problem, but I am posting because the identical problem is happening to me! I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with the 3800 Series II engine and the problem just started this year. When the car is under light acceleration, climbing a slight hill, or on an exit ramp the RPMs sometimes oscillate (though this varies, sometimes it doesn't happen at all). It is very similar to pushing and releasing the accelerator pedal about once a second and it is not overly harsh....it's just a quick, smooth (not jarring or shaking), and very annoying oscillation. This has happened in 3rd gear and 4th gear (before and after torque converter lockup). The car has no trouble codes and I have recently replaced the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter and the problem still exists. Occasionally, I do get what seems like a slow shift. Also, when the car is cold the engine will surge 3 or 4 times right after starting, then the idle smooths out. Everything else is completely normal. Someone please help us!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Now I think I CAN HELP regarding the water in the passenger compartment. I am assuming that this isn't a problem with the heating coil since it happens in the car wash (and you might have noticed the difference between coolant and water if that was the problem). My car used to do the same thing and it got worse, until eventually the entire passenger side foot well would FILL with water following rainstorms. I took off the plastic cowl on the outside of the car located between the bottom of the windshield and the top of the hood (you might need to remove the windshield wiper arms to do this...I can't remember if I had to). When it is removed, you can see the air intake on the passenger side. There should be a rubber piece of molding that is pressed on the sheet metal edge that makes up the upper section of the air intake (closest to the windshield). This rubber molding seals against the inside of the cowl and stops water from running down the windshield and into the air intake. On my car, the molding came completely off and fell into the intake, which let water flood in. I fixed mine by gluing the rubber molding back in place (onto the sheet metal edge) using silicon adhesive. I also placed a thin bead of silicon along the molding where it contacts the cowl before reinstalling the cowl. My car has been bone dry for a couple years now. I hope this helps and that your problem is the same since it is a very easy fix.

Good luck!
  • lqvlqv Member Posts: 2
    After reading some other posts, it seems that there is also a drain in the firewall that can become plugged and cause water to enter the passenger foot well so you may want to check that too...

Good luck.
  • bsprix05bsprix05 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem. I own a 2005 Grand Prix GT with under 15,000 miles. Just noticed the noise a couple of weeks ago. The car sounds like a wind up toy. I was wondering if u have had any luck locating what the problem is? That way I have an idea of what 2 expect. Luckily it's still under warranty so hopefully there will b no problems from the dealer. I would REALLY appreciate any help or advice u could give!
  • radiooneradioone Member Posts: 2
    My wife's computer is reading "Power Engine Low". What is this? Thanks for your thoughts.
  • djh2djh2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey lqv,

I got the same trans problem you got with the annoying oscillations during accelleration. I have tried real hard to find any info on the net about it and it seems that you have the same problem I do. Too bad I cant find a fix for this one. I would like to fix it myself or have some ammo before I take it to a dealer. Please post a fix if you get one in the future. I will do the same. Thanks, Dave.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I have had four Grand Prix's -- 1995, 1999, 2002 and now a 2006. All were GTP's, except for the new car which is a GXP. My nephew has had my 1999 until about a month ago. It also went on fire and the fire dept. could not save it. He had left it across the street from his office for an oil change. Five minutes later, someone called him and said is that your 1999 Red Grand Prix. He said yes. They said it's on fire. The hood was so hot that the fire dept. had to cut it off to remove the engine. He does not know what caused it. It happened five minutes after he turned the ignition off. He also had to fill out a lot of forms and the insurance company said that they would give him what it would be selling for from the dealers in his area.
  • ron48ron48 Member Posts: 1
    Re: posting referring to hesitation. I own a 97 GrandPrix GTP with 178,000 km. After my first major tune up, my car developed a hesitation, bucking type problem when the engine was put under a load, i.e. pulling up a hill, aggressive acceleration, etc. When I was just driving steady, the car worked fine. The solution: I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires and the problem disappeared. Before I got around to replacing the wires, I would pull the old wires off the spark plugs and put them back on making sure I had a good connection. This would help for a while. The problem seemed to be more with the wires than the spark plugs. Good luck to all those with the hesitation problem.

I now have a head scratcher. The tension arm that holds the supercharger belt seems to have developed a chatter/rattle at low rpm's. When I'm sitting at a red light in drive, it clatters away. If I increase the rpm's ever so slightly it goes quiet. Also if I turn the steering wheel either way, the clatter gets worse. Again, this is only at low rpms (just under 1000) while the car is in gear. When I put my hand on the tension arm spring case it feels like something is hitting it on the inside. This is confusing as there are no real moving parts. Now here is the catch. I replaced the tension arm and the supercharger belt and there was no change. I continues to clatter. I did notice that there is an arrow on the tension arm and there appears to be marking that this arrow should fall between. I checked on some friends GTP's and their arrow is between the marks. I have turned the tension arm to try to put less tension on it but it almost seems like the replacement belts are shorter than the original. On my car the arrow is just outside the marks when the tension is on. Is this really a tension arm problem or is the chatter a symptom of something else.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Sure would like to hear from you.

My next challenge is replacing the valve cover gaskets. Looks like I have to tear off half the engine to get them off. Oil on the exhaust doesn't smell so pleasant.

Thanks.
  • bradmanbradman Member Posts: 2
    I have the same whining/whiring noise as well, coupled with that is a semi-violent shifting from one gear to another. When I took the car in for a Trac light problem, they clipped a line or plugged something up to fix that and I hadn't had this transmission problem since, but it reappeared yesterday. It's intermittent....usually shows up in rush hour traffic type driving, but not always.

That's on top of my latest problem; the fuel gage has decided to go nuts after 90,000 miles. No warranty on any of this I suspect.
  • zn1102zn1102 Member Posts: 2
    We have the same hesitation problem on our 2000 Grand Prix for about a year now. I have tried changing the spark plugs twice. It seems to help for a short time but the hesitation comes right back. It really is anoying and seems like it could be a major problem and leave you on the road somewhere. Anyone have any ideas or solutions to this problem?
  • bigskidoggbigskidogg Member Posts: 8
    I JUST REPLACED MY BLOWER MOTOR AND BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR/MODULE, I TOOK IT TO PEP BOYS TO FIND OUT THE PROBLEM BUT CHOSE TO FIX IT MYSELF AFTER GETTING THE COST, $500. THEY HAD ALREADY REMOVED THE MOTOR AND RESISTOR AND I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT OUT AS I WOULD BE REPLACING IT, ITS NOT A HARD JOB EVERYTHING IS RUNNING GOOD NOW BUT THERE IS A SMALL WIRE OR LINE HANGING DOWN THAT I DONT KNOW WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO HOOK UP TO , I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH CONTROLLING WHICH VENTS THE AIR BLOWS FROM, I CANT SEE ANYWHERE TO PLUG IT INTO , IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THIS IS AND WHERE IT GOES ID APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, THANX
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Suggestion:

Please turn your CAPS LOCK off. Most people ignore message written like this, as it is too hard to read and is also interpreted as "shouting".

MrShiftright
    Host
  • koberosskobeross Member Posts: 2
    1999 Grand Prix GTP- you can hear the motor working when you push down on the window, but when you try to put it back up there is nothing. Anyone have this problem or can make any suggestions? thanks in advance.
  • lavvylav349lavvylav349 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 grand prix GT does a strange ' surging' effect when slowly accelerating ONLY in 4th, and 5th gears. I've had it into the tranny shop ( outside trans repair to valve body $375), and to my mechanic ( complete tune-up ( new plugs, wires, clean ejectors, re-seat computer and all grounds) $400). It still has the same problem after all that.
  • jcmailboyjcmailboy Member Posts: 1
    Hi penny. I know exactly how you feel. While driving to work last winter I noticed
    smoke in the interior of my '02 Grand Prix. Although I was less than 1 block from home and had been driving the car for less than 5 minutes, it was on fire. No doubt about that. I barely made it home!

The fire in my pontiac did serious damage to the interior and to some parts of the engine. Also, most of the underside of the car was seriously damaged on the front half. Unlike many people this happens to, I was able to extinguish the fire after using THREE brand-new, full-size fire extinguishers.

While I had NO PROBLEMS with my insurance company on the claim (State Farm) the car was in the shop for over two months with FIVE WEEKS of actual work on the car. I still can't believe they didn't total out the car.

While I was "lucky" in that I did get the car repaired and back to me, I will ALWAYS WONDER what caused that fire, and whether it will happen again.

One point of interest... When the repair shop received the car, they did the best work I have ever seen on ANY car, and I do mean the best. They redid the carpet, seats, new dash, etc., not to mention the body work on the car. However...

After the repairs were completed, I asked several of the technicians if they could determine what had caused the fire. You won't believe this, but the shop manager stepped forward and said "Son, Pontiacs have been burning since 1967. Everybody knows that."

After doing a little research of my own, I came to this conclusion:

HE IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Good luck with your claim.
  • sipherxsipherx Member Posts: 2
    Maybe you guys can help me out. I just bought this car last Friday and its been great but I didnt notice this until after I signed the financing papers which kinda sucks. When I make a SHARP left hand turn for example making a u-turn it makes a grinding noise and its not like a tire rubbing up against something noise its like something mechanical is grinding. I also noticed a very slight whining noise every once in a while in my car. Its a 2002 gt grand prix. Hopefully someone can help me out here. I would greatly appreciate it.

Note: It doesnt make this sound when making right hand turns, and it also doesnt make any weird noises when the car is stopped and turn comepltely left or right, also no sounds of power steering whining either then wheel is turned completely left or right when comepltely stopped.
  • katydidkatydid Member Posts: 3
    On 10/30/2005, my daughter drove my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix about 11 miles away to the grocery store. Parked the vehicle and went into the store. Approximately 15 minutes later the fire dept. showed up to put out the car fire! While sitting in the parking lot, it caught fire from under the hood. The insurance company has rendered it a total loss, with no explanation as to what could have caused the fire. Their guess was an electrical short. The interior was not damaged, but the engine is rather pathetic (I have photos, if anyone is interested) My concern was that if my daughter had of been driving this vehicle on the highway or interstate she may not have gotten out of this car. Since it appears to be electrical the steering possibly would have went out before she got off the road. Thank goodness she was out of the car. However, I find it very odd that after a 15 minute drive time, the car would ignite in flames. I am real interested in what that technician said about Pontiacs. Obviously, I have to have a new car now and wasn't sure if I want another Pontiac. I was a huge fan of the Grand Prix but this has left me skeptical. I spoke with the fireman who put out the car and he said that all cars have the potential to ignite. Perhaps I should get a horse!
  • placoplaco Member Posts: 2
    rpm just goes to 0 but cars still runs. sometimes stalls while driving. if you shut down and re-start problem goes away and comes back. any ideas? :cry:
  • placoplaco Member Posts: 2
    i thought this was a good web site.
  • kiki02gtpkiki02gtp Member Posts: 1
    I too just started experiencing this hesitation and rpm flux in my 2002 GTP, The car has had no other major problems but i want to go to the mechanic with some information about what could possibly be doing this. It just started about 3 months ago, i have changed the transmission fluid, new gas filter and i had a tune up a year ago. Can anyone help with a solution or a reason so it doesn't freak me out. It usually occurs at 65 mph w/cruise on or off, sometimes the cruise won't even work.
    HELP, it's too soon to junk this car. :cry:
  • pac329pac329 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem since I have owned the car. My car is a 2000 GT. If I get a half inch of rain overnight, my passenger front floor is soaked. I have had as much as 2 and 1/2 inches of water on the floor. I have 2 friends that own a 2000 grand prix and the same with them. I have gone to the dealership and of course no recalls. They offered to look at it, but for $500-1000, I said no. This is a pontiac problem. This is my 3rd pontiac and quite frankly, probably my last.

Now, I have learned that if I turn my car the other way on my street, it doesn't leak. Unfortunatly, I don't always know when we will get the downpour. If it is a light rain, I don't seem to have the problem.

I have to beleive it is a design problem, since I know this many people with the same problem.
  • morse1morse1 Member Posts: 1
    jamie1022 i have a 2002 grand prix gt sounds like the same trouble i had. Took it in many times and it finaly would not start.They changed the fuel pump problem solved,hope this helps.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    I would look at the EGR valve. Should be electronic, and I would check for correct resistance through the solenoids. I have seen this idiosyncracy first hand on W bodies before.
  • hornet38hornet38 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my GP 2001 GT and i`m gonna get the rf wheel bearing replaced tomorrow and this will resolve the problem . :)
  • fish1066fish1066 Member Posts: 1
    hi..i just got an '05 grand prix gt. it has only 1200 miles on it. three times now the "service vehicle soon" lamp will come on at the driver information console when i put it in reverse. it does this only once in awhile. the moment i stop and either put it in drive or park it goes off and clears. ive called onstar when it happened and they show no codes. any ideas? thanks
  • lkirklandlkirkland Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 Pontiac GP GT w/44k miles. When the car first starts moving and the wheels are turned to the right or the left, there is a rubbing noise coming from the front of the vehicle (by the wheel well it seems). I have tried to diagnose it myself, but no luck. I took the car to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. They said if it gets worse to come back in. Has anyone had this problem before or knows what could be causing the noise?

Luke
  • rocket98rocket98 Member Posts: 9
    I also have a 2001 Grand Prix GT, 53,000 miles, same exact problem your describing. No answers for you, but I can say it has been happening since about 48,000 miles and has not gotten any worse.
  • gdtaylorgdtaylor Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GTP with 200000 miles. All 4 windows have broken. I fixed the problems myself! What you will find is the "plastic" window holder/guide on the metal tracks inside simply cracks and breaks away letting the window fall down and not go back up. Cheap plastic parts! I corrected all 4 of my windows by drilling the slide plate and installing "large cotter-key pins" around the window up/down cable that normally locks into the cheap plastic guide. It is difficult to explain... but the bottom line is that the quarter panels would blow off now before any of my window guides ever break again.
    hi Tracyb,
    I know it's a little bit late to answer this,over a year ,but I think I know the problem.
    The catalyst system must be clogged, I had the same problem with my 2001.
    bye hornet38
    Hi there,
    By the way, it is not a transmission problem.
    You said that you did a tune up a year ago ,I don't know if you replaced the spark plugs but if you did and you didn't replaced the spark plugs wires, there should be one or more cracked spark plugs and your engine experience misfire.
    there should be one more thing that could be doing, get the catalyst system be checked out, it could be clogged.
    remember that if you replaced spark plugs on this car, replace wires at the same time (with genuine parts)
    good luck SYLVAIN LESSARD (hornet38)
    hi,
    you should check both front wheel bearings hubs, remember that GM uses those bearings on many models and those are very weak
    good luck
  • mnwildfanmnwildfan Member Posts: 1
    Help! Just purchased a 2005 GP used and it has a vibration in the front end. The dealer replaced 2 tires, aligned all wheels and balanced the tires 3 times. The vibration still persists. Any suggestions?? Love the car but sure dont need the vibration. Could this be the factory aluminum rims?
    Also the low fuel light does not work. Is this easily fixed?
    Any help or suggestions are appreciated!
  • lt37lt37 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 grand prix gt2 with 86000 miles and I have a leak in the power steering rack. Has this been a problem of anybody else, or maybe a I should say a problem pontiac has been having with these cars?
    Did you really mean to type 86,000 miles??!!
  • mrtenpinsmrtenpins Member Posts: 1
    Don't know where you live, but charlie meadows transmissions in Asheville NC fixed my overdrive transmission ('99 GP GTP) for $1500 - a full rebuild... and did a very good job.
  • jeranamojeranamo Member Posts: 1
    I haven't seen anyone response to this yet, but if my 99 GP is sitting in my driveway at night (seems to only be when this happens, maybe because it's getting colder?) the alarm will start going off every so often, and then turn back off after 5 honks. Last night it was doing it increasingly. At first it did it once or twice while i was awake. Then I went to sleep and awoke to it going off every 3-5 minutes, sometimes even less than that. What's going on?
    I have a 2004 gp and I have that problem too, I thought it was something else but I see now it must be a pontiac problem
    yes, actually 87,000 now, long commute to work
    Okay, in that case 86K is a fairly normal mileage for steering rack wear.
  • shadow83blkshadow83blk Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a used 1998 Grand Prix. I have been driving it for 4 days. Tonight I just got off of the highway the engine just died. Headlights were bright so the I knew it wasn't the alternator. I put it in park and it started right back up and drove home. Now I am afraid it will die again. Anyone had a problem like this?
  • blackflag3blackflag3 Member Posts: 29
    Yes,my wifes 99 GP (bought new)has done this several times
    since we've had it. No explanation for it.
    Engine just dies and then restarts right away.
  • rprevattrprevatt Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: wining noise-I have the same problem with my 2001 gt it wines when I make left turns at first I really had to cut the wheel hard at a good speed but now it does it on slight wheel movements at any speed. It is getting worse. I don't know if it is the power steering ,rack & pinoin or the differential. I would hate to replace all the above and find out it is an axle or somthing like that.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    A common cause of intermittent stall or no start is the crankshaft position sensor. Difficult diagnose when it's not acting up, though.
  • bussylynbussylyn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Prix. Daughter was driving it this past friday, she told me it was acting up on her on way to work, didn't have alot of power. She took it in for an oil change, the guy told her to tell me to also add some coolant. She said the car ran great on way home but no heat. I went out and checked it and saw that the temperature was up on it, temp light was on. I took my other car and went and got dexcool for it. I came home added it to the reservoir, took it for a drive. It ran great, had heat but then it started getting alittle sluggish and temperature started rising. Took it home, got out my manual, let the car cool and then added coolant directly to radiator. I went to start it and it won't start. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • shadow83blkshadow83blk Member Posts: 7
    Thanks!! It died again the next day and this time I noticed that it hesitated when I accelerated and then died. Would not restart right away but after five minutes started right up. Felt like fuel starvation. I drove it straight to the dealer (there is a 30 day warranty on the drive train) and told him that I suspected the fuel pump or crank sensor.

It's a beautiful car and in almost perfect condition so I would love to keep it. Really it is for my 18yo son. He is in love with it.
  • alphyalphy Member Posts: 3
    I just signed up for this forum also...while doing research on the SAME situation happening to me this past weekend! I own a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 112,000 miles. I've owned the car since 2001 without major problems, and have upkept the car well. It was running fine, without any problems. This last weekend, while my girlfriend and I were having dinner at a restaurant downtown, the car caught on fire in the parking garage! I did not know what happened until I returned to the garage to find my car missing. When I called the police, they informed me of the fire and said it was under investigation. The fire investigator notified me a few days later, that he (and 3 other investigators) could not determine exactly what caused the fire, but that it was some sort of malfunction in the engine compartment.

I still am in shock at how a perfectly fine car can just catch on fire...when it is parked and not running! I was even more shocked when I decided to research a little, and found out that others have had similar experiences!! This is unbelievable. My situation is in the hands of the insurance company right now...i'm hoping they can provide more insight to the situation. Do any of you that have gone through this have any more info?? Has anyone attempted to contact Pontiac Motor Division or GM?? It seems to me that this is a huge safety concern, and if they have a faulty product or design flaw, someone should address the problem. Luckily in my situation no one was hurt, but the state of the car is awful. I saw it for the first time last night at the impound yard...and the whole front third of the car is destroyed. I'm still in shock... If there are more people out there that this has happened to...please add to the discussion or share any advice (besides not buying a GM product ever again!).
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Let us know the outcome, I'd be interested in what it was.
  • crazycccrazycc Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have recently purchased a pontiac grand prix 2001 eight months ago, recntly the car srarted idling up and down kinda spitting and sputtering, husband changed plugs and wires, changed tranny filter, still doing it, now the abs light and trac off light has come on. Help what do i do? :mad:
  • anndjanndj Member Posts: 3
    Hello Penny and others,

My 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP also caught on fire this Saturday, 11/12/05 at 2 p.m., while parked in our condo common parking area. We had just gone to the hairdresser and back. The ride was less than 15 minutes to home. The police incident report states that the police and fire depts responded at 2:15 p.m. I was notified by my neighbor's child that my car was on fire at 2:30 p.m. When I ran out to the parking lot, all I could see was about 10 foot flames coming from the front of my car. I didn't even realize the neighbor's Toyota parked to my right was on fire too. It took about a half hour to put them all the way out. On the left of my car was a Honda CR-V. This neighbor was out of town and it was scorched on the passenger's side. All three cars were towed away. I know the owner of the towing company, and asked him what he thought caused the fire. He said it looked electrical to him.

I notified my insurance company right away. They have taken my car to study/investigate the cause, but declared my 2002 Grand Prix GTP is totaled as well as the Toyota. I notified GMAC too. Have you? Anndj
  • alphyalphy Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

My situation was pretty much the same....we arrived at the parking garage around 10:55 pm...and the Fire Investigator told me the fire call went out at 11:15 pm. I had driven the car maybe 25 minutes, with no evidence of any problems. Is your insurance company going to do a thorough investigation to determine the exact cause? The head investigator told me that he (and 3 other investigators) were unable to pin point the exact component that failed (since there are not automotive engineers...) He just said that the fire was accidental, and definatly caused by a failure of an engine component. I asked my insurance company if they would do an investigation....but they said since there were no recalls from Pontiac, they usually do not since the cost and time for an investigation like that can be high. So, I really don't know what part failed....but I requested a copy of the fire investigation report, and am hoping to get pictures from the insurance company. I have not contacted GMAC or Pontiac Motor Division yet. What did you tell them....who did you contact...and what did they have to say?? I doubt they will do anything...they should at least launch an investigation into a possible defective part or design flaw and fix it before someone gets hurt. I wonder how many people this has happened to. When the fire happened to my car, it made the city news (because it occurred on city property)...I thought about giving them a call with the information about how this has happened to other people with the same model car. Maybe they would do a follow up story about the model car...with a little publicity and the word getting out...then maybe GM would do a better job of figuring out what is causing Grand Prix GTPs to burn up?!
This discussion has been closed.