Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• frustratedgpfrustratedgp Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys (and gals), I just happened to stumble upon this web site this afternoon. I have been reading some of the forums on the Grand Prix's and can't believe some of the stuff I've read. I have a 2000 Grand Prix and I've had the same problem(s) with water on the floor of the passenger side and both rear windows needed new regulators (would not go up and down). I don't know whether to be relieved or totally angry. Anyway, to my lastest problem...I got my 60,000 recommended service at my Pontiac dealer, and on my ride home my Grand Prix doesn't want to shift into certain gears. It sort of hesitates and then I have to step on the gas more and then it kinda kicks in. I am furious at this point. :mad: My question is what might the dealer have done during the 60,000 service that would cause this. They list: replacing the fuel & air filter and PCV valve. Clean and adjust IAC valve and throttle bore. Please help! Car problems are the worst! Especially when you can't "trust" your dealer! :mad:
  • bmwguy2bmwguy2 Member Posts: 13
    hi there ,i have a2001 gtp coupe,special edition,when low on fuel,my car does chime,but once,then the low fuel light comes on,its the same chime that if i opne the drivers door after it was aotomatically locked when put into drive ,it only does chime 1 time,,at times cahnges a made during the model year and some features are changed,modified,usually it goes by s/n of car,next time there is a situation,have car hooked up to dealer ship computer
  • balbeenabalbeena Member Posts: 3
    Im with "rocket 98". I am having the wheel bearing hub replaced tomorrow on my 2000 GTP. One has already been replaced, and guess what?, no noise on that side. Have the dealer check it out.
    My windows, especially the driver's side sounds like something's ready to break when I roll them up. It's not so bad if they're in the "all the way down " position but if they're half way down, ufda!! Thanks for the info. I'll get my husband right on that task. There are many things I've read in this forum that justify half the reason GM is closing many of their doors. They should be reading these forums and maybe they would make a better product.
    Does anyone have a problem with the heads up display dissappearing? It fades in and out. Could there be a short in the wiring?
  • wacdmc2000wacdmc2000 Member Posts: 3
    Are there any grease fittings on the front end of my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. I went to do a lube and couldn't find any. Are they all permanently sealed? Thanks.
  • rocket98rocket98 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I have a 2001 also and have had the same problem with Trac Lights and ABS Lights. The dealer replaced the ABS sensors and that took care of it. Was under Warranty at the time, so I don't know what it will cost you.
  • vette0vette0 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1997 GRAND PRIX, RAN HOT, REPLACED HEAD GASKETS, HEADS WARENT CRACKED, HEADS WERE CHECKED AT A MACHINE SHOP, AND RESURFACED, REPLACED HEADS, NO MORE RUNNING HOT, TEMP STAYS AROUND 190 - 210 DEGREES , THE PROBLEM NOW IS WHEN I REPLACED EVERYTHING , I HAD A TPS/PEDAL POSITION SENSOR A PROBLEM, I REPLACED THE TPS, WONT GO OVER 40 MILES AN HOUR, I REPLACED THE INJECTORS, RAIL AND PRESSURE REGULATOR, STILL NO BETTER, ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please take your CAPS LOCK off. Most members will not respond to posts written in this way, as they are very hard to read and are often interpretated as "shouting" at another member.

Host
  • mike37615mike37615 Member Posts: 1
    Check the fuel pressure (fuel pump, filter) Is your air filter OK? Check for a damaged exhaust or plugged cat. Did you have this problem before you replaced everything? Does it roll free ie no hanging e-break. Remember air and fuel in, combustion and exhaust out if any are restricted you will have problems.
    Just a few ideas hope it helps.
  • johnnyb503johnnyb503 Member Posts: 1
    hello all. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. on the way home slowed down for small town, notice trans down shift kinda hard. then on accel it shifted very hard on up shifts, not smooth like usual. also noticed engine temp was higher than normal around 200 degrees. stopped and checked radiator fan, it was not running at the time, temp guage got to about 210 or so but fan never came on. when i turned on a/c the fans came on and temp went back to what i considered normal temp(first big notch between 160 & 210 thats not marked). just curious what other 3.1 motors temps normally ran and if anyone else has had this problem with transmision.
    thanks johnnyb
  • keumnamkeumnam Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like a cracked plastic inlet plenum to me. Hopefully not coolent got down into the bearings..if so it means a new engine.
    I have read a few messages on here about the key not coming out of the ignition switch. This happened on my '99 GP GT that my wife was driving that time (she has a '01 olds aurora..a whole different story there). Anyway, there is a little rubber cover over the shifter button lock on the front of the shifter. What I found on the GP was this little cover became misaligned and prevented the system from sequencing properly. All I did was realign it..put it back in its correct position and no more problems.

Not saying this is always the case, but the first place to look. My wife has a uncanny ability to have things like this happen when she drives.

I have had to replace the blower (grinding bearings...lousy design thanks to water contamination) and now the resistor pack appears gone...no blower speeds 1-3. I have the pack but don't relish crawling under that dash again. Also no defroster thanks to something not operating properly in air ducting control system...won't change air distribution when rotary control moved. Is this vacuum operated? Really sucks on a cold morning with frosted windows. Debating whether to tackle this or take it in.

Also cheesy interior door panel plastic mounts...fixed originally under warranty but all have failed again. The car is old enough now that I'm just going to drill and install black colored self tapping screws to secure them. Screws were good enough for my dad's old Cadillacs without taking away from the looks.

What else...well nothing aside from that $1800 transmission overhaul and cheap plastic inlet plenum failure. Other than these things...we actually love the car..the styling and the handling. It is actually a very easy car to drive. Oh, and the O2 sensor failure.

For what it is worth, the car still looks great and drives through our Idaho mountains with ease. At 84k miles, I'm expecting another 70k or so before shooting it. I thought about getting rid of full coverage, but now I read about all these GPs catching on fire.
    It happened to my '99 GT a couple years ago. Got off work, started it up and the engine started missing after driving it about 100 yds and the check engine light came on.

Drove home and and was running fine, though lite still on. Checked under the hood and the plastic resevoir was empty. started it..started fine. added water and bam!...white stuff coming from exhaust. Knew it was water. Shut 'er down, called my insurance company for a tow in and it was the inlet plenum cracked. Luckily it appears no coolant got in the oil or down into the bearings..which would have been catastrophic, meaning a new engine. $600+ bucks later got it back and still running fine.

Why oh why GM would mount a cheap plastic part on top of a hot/cold/hot/cold engine defies logic. And they wonder why GM is laying off 30k workers and there is talk of bankruptcy.

I really like driving the car, like how it handles, like the styling, like the performance. But the reliability just sucks...they cut too many corners which is ultimately the worst thing which can be done for the bottomline. I have never owned a car before, not even a k-car (plymouth caravalle), where the interior door panels came loose and are flopping around because of cheap fasteners. But then I got the GP...

I don't necessarily blame the engineers because I think they are dictated to by management and you can only place so much blame on unions.

Pontiac actually has a winner in many regards, they just need to quit cutting corners.
    You said: "I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix that has been an excellent car. Just lately I have noticed that the transmission has began to shift hard intermittenly. It seems to only do it when it's running a while (Interstate, stop and go traffic). Is changing the fluid and filter a good start?"

My recommendation: Impending transmission failure/overhaul so trade the car in.
  • stewsigstewsig Member Posts: 1
    The brakes on my 2004 Grand Prix GT do not seem do to be working properly when applying them while traveling over a bumpy road. The resistance in the break pedal rapidly alternates between being firm to sinking as I apply them - the resistance is not uniform as I'm applying pressure. Its a similar sensation to stepping on series of thin boards that give resistance but then snap under the pressure. The dealer had said he reprogrammmed the ABS, but its occurred again. He also stated this could happen if the tires are under inflated. But this seems odd. Has anyone else experienced this or may know what is the cause of this.
  • cardavmcardavm Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I also own a 2000 GP GT and I just noticed the tramsmission doing the same thing. How long has your car been doing this? Also, does anyone know if it is bad for the car to keep driving it like this? Mine starts to shift hard after it has been running about an hour or more.
  • deb437deb437 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Grand Prix GT and I have had the ABS light come on and the trac light go off two or three times. The ABS light in my case stayed on and never went off and on. Each time the problem was covered under warranty and it was the ABS sensor - the mechanic at the dealer told me that the Traction control system is linked to the ABS light and will not function when the ABS sensors are bad - that is why the trac control light goes off and stay off, it becomes disabled.
  • jmmy2005jmmy2005 Member Posts: 2
    Have a '99 Grand Prix and recently noticed the Low Coolant indicator coming on intermittently, and then going off... Coolant level seems fine, as well as the temp. gauge, and no signs of leaks.
    Is this a common problem with these models?? I heard earlier here about air intake seals loosening up as a common issue on this engine series leading to coolant loss. Any advice?
  • pontiac_mattpontiac_matt Member Posts: 1
    I have a '00 GT and I noticed the other day that if I open it up there is a distinct noise that starts at about 2.5 RPM and gets louder as the RPM's increase. The sound starts to drop off as the car shifts and the RPMs drop off. My dad and I think it sounds like either metal clapping (value clap) or maybe exhaust blow by. The noise reminds me of an old piston prop engine on a plane, or maybe an engine that doesn't have any exhaust and your wearing ear-muffs. Anyone have a similar experience that can offer me some ideas? and some possible solutions?

:sick:

Matt
  • cardavmcardavm Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

I had the same problem with my 2000 Grand Prix GT. Originally, i brought it in and they said it was just the sensor going bad. My light would go away when the car warmed up but just got worse. This past weekend I traded the car in for a 2003 Monte Carlo due to too many problems with the gp,but during the trade evaluation they determined it had a slow coolant leak.
  • sofia8511sofia8511 Member Posts: 2
    Our 1999 GTP driver side window will go up and down very slowly until it started smoking, we decided not to use it right now until we figure out what is wrong with it. Be careful, I have been reading a lot on here like yourself and I am concerned about the safety of this car. Let us know what you come up with, I am curious. Thanks
  • sofia8511sofia8511 Member Posts: 2
    Our 1999 GTP ran great until one day it decided it was not going to go. If we put the trans in 1st it would take off slowly but we can not get it to drive in the D. It is a automatic, so we have been told it could be electrical or it might be the transmission. Once the car is in drive over 16 MPH, it drives normal. We have never heard any noise, the check engine light is NOT on, and there has been no change in any over all performance other than this one particular problem. Sensor? Electrical or transmission? Any ideas?
  • computerpulsecomputerpulse Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your Grand Prix Problems. I can not assist you on this but am looking for assistance for window regulators rear doors. What did you do on these?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Does it have a Winter Mode switch? If so and it's activated or defective, it's starting off in second gear.
  • claywellclaywell Member Posts: 10
    i have a 93 grand prix that has 115K miles i replaced the fuel pump,filter,and fuel sensor. it runs fine at times then it will die or not start,after waiting a few mins it will start and maybe run fine for a while or sometimes it dies again. Anyone have any suggestions on this matter? I know its a old car but only problem ever had since it was new.
    So, I took my '99 GT in to replace the blower resistor pack due to speeds 1-3 not working. Also there was no control ability for air...whether foot, dash, or defroster. Is was just coming out partly at dash and floor. Turns out there is a vacuum line which runs around the front of the engine somewhere near the battery. According to my mechanic, it was corroded/torn/brittle. He repaired by installing a section of hose in and everything works great. I really love driving the car and how it looks...once I repair the hanging by a thread interior door panels hopefully it will be a reliable car for the forseeable future.
  • shortnsassyshortnsassy Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 2001 grand prix for almost a year and have had problems with the ABS light and trac off coming on. It didn't seem to do it as much during the warmer months but now that it is cold again (I am from Michigan) it seems to come on all the time again. I will have the ABS sensors replaced.
  • shortnsassyshortnsassy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 grand prix and the windshield washer fluid doesn't work and if I turn my brights on all my lights shut off. Has anyone had this issue? I have been told it is probably a switch in the steering column.
  • nosenose Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 1999 Grand Prix GT. Approx 60,000 miles. It surges most often when i give it slight acceleration at about 40-50 mph. however I get the feeling it is an engine/fuel system issue and not transmission. Any luck figuring your out? One reply suggested EGR valve?
  • rocket98rocket98 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply, just to let you know that since I had the sensors replaced I have not had any problems. I also live in Northern Michigan and have been driving in the snow with this car for about a month now, it does handle great in the snow.
  • bbpontiac29bbpontiac29 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just got a used 2000 grand prix, and the dealer did nto give me a manual for the car, When my cigg lighters went out I assumed fuse, after looking under the hood in the fusebox there are no indications for cigg lighter(s). The dealer is supposed to be mailing the manual out to me and I dont have the $$ to buy a new manual. Can anyone help with what fuse # it is for the lighter or is there another fuse box i am unaware of. Thanks in advance

BigBlackPontiac29 :surprise:
  • 63bonneville63bonneville Member Posts: 3
    STARTED MY 2001 GRAND PRIX LAST NIGHT AND THE BLOWER WOULD NOT WORK ON #5. FINALLY AFTER A WHILE DRIVING AND FREEZING, IT STARTED TO WORK. WHEN WE GOT HOME, THE BLOWER WOULD NOT SHUT OFF, EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND THE IGNITION KEY REMOVED. PULLED THE HVAC/HI FUSE IN ORDER TO GET IT TO SHUT OFF. ALL OTHER SPEEDS WORK FINE. ANY IDEAS?
  • rtlrtl Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My 99 GP started doing this about 4 months ago, started the same way. I just finished replacing the rack and pinion as I finally completely lost left assist. That fixed it $$$.

My GP has been nothing but trouble, trading it in soon. :lemon:

Regards!
  • bullwhip1bullwhip1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Grand Prix GT isn't heating up to what it used to. It's been very cold here, but I drove it for 1-1/2 hours yesterday and it never got to 170 F on the gauge. Fuel mileage is down. When I got out of the car I found the radiator fan was running. On a cold start this morning at 40 F BOTH fans were running. I believe the thermostat is on the top of the motor and has a temp sensor in it. Is this the sensor for the fan on/off? I'll probably replace the thermostat if that is the right sensor.

Anyone know for sure? It's the 3800 3.8 L V-6

Thanks in advance for any help!
    You got rid of that one in the nick of time.. I just bet related to the cheap plastic intake plenum.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I had a 1999 Grand Prix GTP and now have a 2006 GXP. My nephew got the 1999 when I purchased a 2002 GTP. He has had this car (1999) since 2002 until about two months ago. His also caught on fire. He left it at the gas station to get an oil change and five minutes later was called and told that his Red GTP was on fire. so five minutes after he turned the ignition off, it went on fire. The fire dept. had to put the fire out. the whole front of the car was destroyed up and including the windshield. The fire started somewhere beneath the engine. The fire dept. had to cut the hood off (it was so hot) to get to the engine. He also has a new Infinity but was using the 1999 for work. The insurance paid him $9,000 for the car.
  • alphyalphy Member Posts: 3
    The more research I have done, the more people I find that the SAME situation has happened to. I have found 6 other 1999 Grand Prix's where the same thing has happened...turn the ignition off....15 minutes later the car is engulfed in fire. I have also found others with newer Grand Prix's that this has happened to. I am gathering as much information as I can. Apparently this has been happening since 2001, and I even found an investigation of an "engine fire" at www.nhtsa.dot.gov, but it appears to have been closed on 3/9/2004 with no recall. If anyone else has had this happen, or has information, please post. This SAME situation has happened to too many people for it to be "coincidence". Hopefully by bringing the problem to the attention of Pontiac and the goverment, the problem can be solved before one of the fires causes someone to get hurt. Thanks for posting.
  • mw99gtpmw99gtp Member Posts: 1
    The HUD in my 99 GTP started to fade in and out several months ago, and now has completely disappeared. Has anyone suggested a cause or solution to you?
  • gpdrivergpdriver Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem going back for the last few months. The engine would surge a little, it felt like it was driving very heavy, and had very poor acceleration. I had the fuel system cleaned and replaced the fuel filter and that didn't help. I finally gave in and took it to the dealer and they found the catalytic converter was totally shot. They replaced it and it runs great now. The best part was that it was under warranty!
  • bpacman36bpacman36 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 grand prix gt. On a cold start, below zero, both of my cooling fans were on high and the service engine light comes on. My engine temp does not get above 170. If anyone knows how to fix this I would appreciate the help. Thanks
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Start by having any stored diagnostic trouble codes retrieved.
  • ballewballew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 grand prix gtp with only 33,000 miles and the low coolant light is coming on also. The coolant level is fine, but the car sometimes is steaming when I shut it off (its cold here). It also looks like it might be leaking, but not sure if it is a leak or over spill from refilling the coolant and it really doesn't need it. I heard that there is a sensor in the radiator that might not be working and it is sending a message to the engine that there is low coolant. Any ideas on this problem. I really need to find out what the problem is. Thanks.
  • gtpgirlgtpgirl Member Posts: 1
    I hope you've gotten an answer to this question but if not here it is. I had this problem with my 99 GTP recently for about 6-7 months. It got progeressively worse where as once my tac dropped my car would stall out, didn't matter if I was driving it or at a dead stop. I had the ignition replaced, my alarm system taken out (thought it might be stopping the fuel) fuel pump and line replaced. Finally I took it into a pontiac dealership and the said it was a fuel sensor. It's a pretty common problem if your mechanic works on gtp's and will run you about 300 dollars with labor.
  • barasbaras Member Posts: 1
    To fix your problem, change your thermostat. You have a fail safe thermostat and it reached the end of it's life, now it's frozen open so it doesn't overheat the motor. Be glad you have one, hate to have it the other way and stick closed, boil over time and a expensive repair bill. Next disconnect the ground side of the battery for 30 seconds and reset your computer, this should work.
  • scapagliatascapagliata Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 GP GT... the drivers window wouldn't roll up. Replaced the motor without any luck. So, found a switch at a junk yard and worked like a charm. Think my motor was fine to begin with. Now my passenger back window is hesitating. I'll replace the switch first this time, much cheaper.
    I have a 2000 pontiac grand prix gt with 173,000 miles. It vibrates horribly on acceleration. Mostly at about 45mph..then levels off to a tolerable vibration. If you let off the gas, the car smooths wonderfully. But again vibrates when acellerated. I've replaced the tires, and was told the drivers side hub/bearing assembly were about to fall apart. I could not tell there were any obvious problems with the part when I took it off but replaced it with a new part anyway. There was no signifant change in the vibration. I noticed it a few days after I bumped another vehichle on an icy road when the car in front of me stopped suddenly. Neither vehichle appeared damaged because we were going so slow so we both laughed and went our ways.Any ideas on the cause? :sick:
  • laynelayne Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar experience on this past Sunday, Dec. 18th, my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, went up in flames, just 20 minutes after I parked it in my garage. Never had any major problems with it, and up until then, had loved the car. My husband and father in law saved our house from going up, but it was a tough battle. If it had happened any later at night, we could have had a very different outcome. I'm outraged to read about all these occurrences, and I think something has to be done now.
    Please email me if anyone is organizing something, I'm happy to help organize as well.
    Layne
    Today we replaced the front, lower end tie rods. No change. This is getting frustrating. :mad:
  • mharringtonmharrington Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a motor mount, or one or more cylinders possibly not firing, seeing that it's happening during acceleration. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.