Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bentforkbentfork Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 grand prix 4 door. The rear leaf spring has broken. No parts stores have this part. Anyone have an idea of how to get this part or if it is even available? Has anyone had the same problem? Tires are rubbing the wheel wells and can't carry any loads.
  • gtpjoe99gtpjoe99 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 GTP is having a problem starting if it sit's for more than 15 min. it cranks for 4 to 5 seconds before starting. If I shut it off and try to start it before 10 to 15 min it starts right up. If it sit's for a few hours I some times smell what seems like a lacquer paint smell. Took it in to the dealer has no codes ran a pressure test said it had a real slow leak said it could be one or all fuel injectors but would needed to run a fuel rail test for $125.00 more I declined. I checked ohm's on the injectors 5 reads 14.5 one reads 13.8 Thought it may be fuel pump but it starts running then stops (can here it) when I turn the key to the on position continues to run while the car is running. Also thought it may be fuel regulator but it looks like it's crimped to the fuel rail. Is it all one unit regulator and fuel rail Please Help
  • scissorellascissorella Member Posts: 5
    Ok update on car. We changed the map sensor and that didnt work. The next step I am gonna do is check coil pack. And to go back to the cooling systems I was wrong there. Its the fans that cool the engine off, but would be the problem there? We have thought maybe because the fan isnt working it makes the car overheat and thats why it doesn't start until after it cools off. If anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

Thank you,
    Tia
  • mmxermmxer Member Posts: 12
    Maybe the iginition control module? Mine would die out after a bit of driving or just wouldnt start. Replaceing the crankshaft sensor and the iginition control module fixed that. If the fans are not coming on, perhaps a resistor is bad?

I have a 95 grand prix gtp. Had a coil replaced before that, wish the guy would of told me the igination control module module was weak. Could of replaced it at the same time.
    Does your AC fan work or is that not coming on as well?

Any computer error codes ahowing up?
    We are thinking that it is the electronic igination control module as well. Yes the ac fan works. Yes the there was a code 33, but we checked it with a bobbin pin. LOL. This is how they told us to check it out. The local NAPA said it was the map sensor, but we put a new one on and still the same results. But now we actually have a obd II trouble shooter.
    I think after all of this I should go and become an auto mechanic instead of a hairstylist or wait have a hair salon and car shop at the same time.Get your hair and oil change at the same time. LOL
    I changed the map sensor, crankshaft sensor, and put a new coil pack and electronic ignition module. And it works just like a charm. I now have to figure out how to put the back spark plugs or just take it a garage and have them do it.
  • pinion22pinion22 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem and wish I could figure it out. But I will tell you it's not the fuel pressure regulator, I changed mine along with the fuel filter, and air filter. No help but as far as being all one piece its not. It is going to set you back at least $70.00 thats what mine cost but like I said no help. The bad thing about it is my check engine light is working but not registering a problem therefore they can't run a diagnostic test and find out what's wrong. so if you find the solution please let me know. And I will do the same :sick:
    Alot of work... So it ending up being the module? Yeah replaceing coil pack, might as well since your right there anyways...
  • pbirchpbirch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 GP SE used. It ran great for about 6 months. All of sudden the speedometer cuts out and starts bouncing up and down, at the same time the transmission cuts in and out.There are times when it works perfectly fine.I find that it runs better on bumpy roads rather than flat surfaces. I had the speed sensor replaced but that did not work.Anyone have any ideas :confuse: :sick:
  • turkeytturkeyt Member Posts: 19
    3.1 motor. When i start the car it won't stay running. I changed the Mass air flow sens. and map sens. and it did not help. The air filter is new.
    The only way i can get the motor to smooth out and run is to crack the air filter box about a quarter of an inch. As soon as i close it back it starts sputtering and jumps up to about 3000 rpms and then stalls after about 15 seconds. When put on scanner it codes purge valve. Does anyone know what and where the purge valve is and it's purpose. Any info at all would greatly appreciated Thanks D.T.
  • jjpierce3jjpierce3 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems............Did you get a solution or do you have some advice?
    Thank you for your help.
    JJ Pierce
  • msfeleshiamsfeleshia Member Posts: 3
    MY CAR WILL NOT MOVE. IT HAS DONE THIS ABOUT 6 TIMES THIS YEAR. IT WILL RUN FINE,THEN WITH NO WARNING YOU GET IN AND THE SECURITY LIGHT ON THE DASH FLASHES AND THE CAR WILL NOT MOVE. AT FIRST I WOULD SIT A FEW HOURS OR OVERNIGHT AND CRANK BACK UP. NOW IT WILL NOT CRANK. I PUT IT IN THE SHOP AND THEY SAID THE CODE SAID I NEEDED A NEW IGNITION,KEY AND EVERYTHING. IJUST SPENT 300 DOLLARS BEFORE I WAS TOLD THIS AND I AM A SINGLE PARENT STRANDED. IM AFRAID IF I GET THE IGNITION INSTALLED WHICH I WAS TOLD WOULD COST ME OVER 400 DOLLARS, I MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM...PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME
  • turkeytturkeyt Member Posts: 19
    This may sound like it is not important, but check this out. Have you checked the connections on the battery. There are 2 contact discs that touch together on the positive + side of the battery. I was having a problem with my pontiac quiting and the bells would ring, the radio would stop and then the car would start back up and run for awhile and do the same thing again. Take the positive side connections loose and clean them with baking soda. Spray the discs with WD40 and wipe off and install them back and make sure they are tight. What happens is they will get some corrosion in between the discs. They may look fine but they will not make a good contact when you try to start and run your engine. Hope by chance this may help anyone who is having the symtoms described described above. D.T.
  • gkaminskigkaminski Member Posts: 1
    I can't shift the car into park. It seems as if the shifter can't go any further forward than reverse. I can take the key out while in reverse. the shifter will also lock in this position. I have to use the shifter lock release to get the car out of reverse so I can put it in neutral so the backup lights don't stay on. Any clues?
  • msfeleshiamsfeleshia Member Posts: 3
    I JUST GOT MY BATTERY REPLACED AND GOT EVERYTHING CLEANED SO I DONT THINK THAT IS THE PROBLEM
  • hilld01grdprixhilld01grdprix Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am also experiencing this problem too. It started for me on July 2nd. I could not put my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT into park; it was stuck in reverse. I had to put it in neutral and put the emergency brake on. My key was stuck in the ignition. I could not get into the trunk until I got home and used my spare key to open the trunk. I took my car to my usual mechanic. We could make the gear get not go into park. THen it went into park and got stuck there. My mechanic thinks it may be a solenoind that needs replacing. However, the mechanic was unable to replicate it again once it was in the shop on Friday. I picked it up today and am driving it for another 2 days to see if it comes up again. Have you got any further information? I recently had a problem with my key not turning all the way to the position to get the key out of ignition after turning off the engine. That went on for 3 months. I finally had the key lock indicator replaced and that did the trick. But now, the not being able to put the car in park problem has creeped up.
  • grandmousegrandmouse Member Posts: 5
    Vent air starting to smell rather stale. Mouse is unbalancing the fan. How to block the air intake? How to access the fan? Any use in replacing the heater core when there?
  • grandmousegrandmouse Member Posts: 5
    1995 Grand Prix with mouse in squirrel cage fan.......
  • suzyq0000suzyq0000 Member Posts: 3
    Please help, the ABS light and traction control light are on in my 2000, and it wont read any codes on the computer from the shop. Has anyone experienced this? And what do i do? Thank you.
  • suzyq0000suzyq0000 Member Posts: 3
    clean the medal mesh screen thats sits right in the the throttle body
  • lynne2007lynne2007 Member Posts: 1
    Our 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix will not go out of park.
    Any ideas???
  • jakewjjakewj Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if you ever figured this out. My car has the same issue and it is getting very annoying to drive it that way. E-mail me at dohc_z34@yahoo.com if you found the solution... Thanks
  • slaplanteslaplante Member Posts: 8
    Hi, my 1998 GTP has been that way for over 4 years now. I have heard that it can be a variety of things that might be wrong. Instead of replacing parts at random until it is fixed, I just took the cover off of the trans lock release that is beside the shifter on the right. When the cover is removed, you need to inject a pen or key or anything small enough to fit in the hole and push down. While pushing down, shift the lever out of park. You will probably need to do this everytime you want to shift out of park.
  • cgold2cgold2 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if you found out what was wrong with your grandprix. We have a 2002 and are experiencing the same problems.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

-------

I am having hesitation problems with my 2000 grandprix GT
    when excellerating at about 10% throttle i get hesitation any where from 50km to 100km/hour. It does this between 2000 and 2400 rpm when it get's to 2400 it drops to 2200 even with the same amount of gas (foot has'nt moved). I have run fuel injection cleaner thruogh it as well as changed the fuel filter. I have taken it to the dealer(I have a friend that works there) we took it to for a long test drive with there scanner and nothing came up no codes at all.

any body have a solution to this problem?

thank in advance
  • msprainismsprainis Member Posts: 5
    This is a problem that Pontiac is aware of. Depending on the milage they may help you out. I had to bite the $400.00 bullet but it did fix the problem. Good luck.
  • myers215myers215 Member Posts: 2
    When I get above 20 mph or so the car starts making a loud rumbling sound that sounds like its coming from under the hood. It almost sounds like a plane taking off or a monster truck and the sound gets louder as i accelerate. The wierd part is when I turn the steering wheel to the left the noise almost completely disappears (for instance when I change lanes to the left on the expressway). The car has 110k on it and I have taken great care of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
  • bioman424bioman424 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution to your hesitation problem. I also have a 2000 GT that recently started having the exact same problem. I was hoping that a fuel treatment/cleaner would take care of it, but apparently it didn't for you.
  • morry1940morry1940 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with auto trans and 3.8 engine. Several weeks ago, I noticed that the driving lights and the fan that moves the air in the car didn't come on when the ignition was turned on. This was an intermittent problem that cleared within 30 - 60 seconds. Until today.

Today, the problem wouldn't clear and I noticed the following. With the fan switch set to positions 1 through 4, the lights don't come on and there is no air flow. Turn the fan switch to off and the lights come on. Turn the fan siwtch to 5 and I get air and lights.

Would sincerely appreciate any ideas.

:cry:
  • myers215myers215 Member Posts: 2
    I took my car in today and thought I would post what was wrong in case someone else has this problem. It was the front left hub bearing assembly. Only cost like $370 at AC Tire.
  • pinion22pinion22 Member Posts: 2
    There is a switch inside your steering column, take the screws out and look on the right side, there will be a little white switch, with a little button mash that button in and it will release, replace the switch or just let it hang
  • jrootpajrootpa Member Posts: 2
    I wish I had ideas how to fix that problem; I am experiencing a similar issue with my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with the AT and 3.1L V6. My HVAC controls sometimes don't work until they feel like it. I will turn on the fan or AC when leaving and sometime driving down the road it will come on. If I crank it to "5" it will come on right away most times but as soon as I turn it back down it goes out. No lights on the controls and at the same time my DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) don't come on. Please help us! :cry:
  • bswordbsword Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my 01 grand prix, did you find a solution? these crazy locks are driving me crazy
  • cgold2cgold2 Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to let everyone know that we found out what our problem was with our '02 Grand Prix with the 3100 engine.

The symptoms were that the car was hesitating or missing. It would miss at idle as well as driving at various speeds. We first noticed the problem a week and a half ago and went to two mechanics who were not able to fix the problem. We changed the fuel filter and spark plugs, put in a fuel injection cleaner, to no avail. When they hooked up the car to the computer it would miss on one or more of the cylinders randomly. No codes came up and the check engine light never came on at any point.

We finally decided to go on a trip to see if some miles might help clean out the fuel system, but as we drove it got progressivly worse. (It began to miss on all cylinders at different times and still no check engine light.)

After 4 1/2 hours of diagnosing, a complete fuel system cleaning, they finally guessed that it might be the ignition control module...a $200 part alone without labor. We put it in and no problems since.

Hope this helps someone later as it was a huge hassle for us.
  • momwagmomwag Member Posts: 14
    I am having the same problem, only the keyless remote system does not work and the night time headlamps turn off while driving. All problems are intermittent. The technical bulletin says to look for a wire rub through near the A/C accumulator. I can't find wire damage though.
    I have a 2000 GP and had the same problem. No codes. I replaced the spark plug wires and bought one ignition coil and moved it to each of the three until I found the bad one. Problem solved.
  • bmeyers84bmeyers84 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problems w/ my 01 gpgt involving drl and a/c. just found out on another website all of these problems are coming off the same lead on the ignition switch. haven't had time to take mine apart yet, but hopefully will solve the problem. let me know if anybody finds out something.
    It was definately the ignition switch. I just came back from the dealer where they installed a new switch. Thanks to all who advised me on this problem. It sure is nice having the old girl running like new again! :)
    One of the reasons the dealer knows how to diagnose this problem is the fact that the fan comes on in position five. That position gets its voltage from another source, not the ignition switch. Position 1 through 4 come from the ignition switch. :)
    It's definately the ignition switch. Just got mine replaced and everything works fine now. :)
  • jrootpajrootpa Member Posts: 2
    Wow, that's exactly what mine does. Turns on when I crank it to five. I will get it to a shop to have the switch replaced. I will repost when/if the problem is corrected. Thanks for the info, guys. :)
  • roc68kyroc68ky Member Posts: 1
    Recently regained possesion of car. Had to put 3 qts. of oil to replenish to level (knocking has almost stopped). Fuel was extremely low, less than a gallon. On the 5 mile drive to my place, car died without warning twice, but restarted with no problems. I parked car for a couple of days, it restarted fine and drove great. It sat for almost a week and now it turns over fine but will not start. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump pressure is within range. Any thoughts please.
    May be the timing chain. Just a guess.
    Has anyone had problems with the remote door locks and alarm system not working with the ignition switch problem?
  • boostedtalonboostedtalon Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, my 04 GTP A/C makes no audibly louder air noise when switching to recirculate like so many cars do. Is this normal to be this quiet still, or is something wrong?Thanks.
  • kenleekenlee Member Posts: 2
    My service engine soon light came on at around 62,000 ,miles. Does anyone know if this is something major or just a service interval reminder?

Ken
    On my 2000 GP the switching mechanism in the dash would hang on the spring and not allow it to go to recirculate. Dealer had a recall and replaced the spring and solved the problem.
  • lcam80lcam80 Member Posts: 1
    I've replaced timing chain and gears runs better than before but heres what the problem is there is no power on acc shakes real bad in drive have replaced every sensor under the hood plus wires and plugs and coil packs has great compression and had all the gaskets replaced in need of help :(
  • ryguy2ryguy2 Member Posts: 3
    Read several of these, have a 2002 Grand Prix GT with 132k on it and have thought the RPM was high 3-4k at 70-80. Have had the high whining and had thought it was power steering noisy, and just had the overheating issue with AC on. This car has been great. Wasn't sure of some of the outcomes of these, can anyone clarify/advise.
    I had same problem. had to replace the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR and IGINITION CONTROL MODULE. Solved problem. Try computer to see if any error codes show up.
This discussion has been closed.