Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Currently I have an 01 Ram but I have had a toyota p/u that I traded for a Ranger then I got an f-150 then another f-150 then a 98 Ram now I got the 01.
    One thing I found interesting about emmissions is that I have a boat with a 300hp 351 ford engine, out of curiosity we stuck the tailpipe sensor in the exhaust and it passes the emissions test. We thought it was funny because all this engine has is a motorcraft 4 barrel and 2 4"exhast risers out the back.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    I have heard that in the next few years, no new boat motors will be built that aren't 4 stroke. I wonder how much worse the current 2-strokes are than say a car or truck? The EPA makes em out to be smog factories. Times are a-changin.
    The new 2 strokes are not as bad as the older one but thier emmissions are still way more than a 4 stroke. The problems that manufactures are having is making 4 strikes that are small enough to fit on the back of a boat like a 2 stroke. The 2002 model tear is the first year that the public could buy a 200+ hp otboard motor for the measly sum of .... $16,000.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    im talking about the '93 Mark VIII. this was the fastest year, even faster than the later LSC's with ten more horse due to the exhaust. no, they weren't sprinters, but when punched at around 65-70, they are faster than h7ll. and they get loud when revved like i said. that 4.6 is awesome.

stang, are you into late model capri's and mustangs? i have an '84 Capri RS Turbo which is very rare. basically the same engine as the SVO mustang which came out the same year, but i believe the SVO had a hotter cam and a little more boost on the AiResearch turbocharger. they later went to duals on the '86 SVO which put it over 200 horse for that little 2.3. the SVO also had an inter-cooler which my capri does not have.
  • srunner01srunner01 Member Posts: 3
    I have to say this forum is great. Lots of info on various trucks. Although it should only be for pickups, especially Tacos and Rangers. Can't see why anyone would compare a an SUV to a compact pickup, but everyone has a right to their opinions. The trucks I've owned below and opinions are based on my experiences. I wanted to share them with everyone.

My first truck was great. It was a limited edition 94 Chevy S10 SS. This production truck was built between 1993 and 1998 before the extreme took over. I loved the black exterior with the red SS emblems. The 4.3L was extremely powerful, only a couple of CC's smaller than the 4.8L V8. I believe truck trend's 0-60 for the 1993 model was 7.8sec. Very impressive for 1993 since the sport truck market was limited to the full size Chevy 454 SS and the Ford Lighting. The only complaints I had with this truck was the recalls with the wiper motor, AC unit, and ABS. It also gave me a couple of sensor problems. Aside from that it was a great experience until it was stolen.

My second truck, Ford Ranger Sport XLT, was probably the most comfortable truck to drive. It felt like a tall truck similar to the F-150. It was very attractive with the monochromatic bumpers and chrome rims. Ford is a great truck but it's hit and miss with Ford. Either you get a truck that constantly breaks down or one that will last as long as a rice burner ( 4cyl [non-permissible content removed] cars ). My major complaint was 3.0 engine. It had no power what's so ever. I installed a K&N filter to give it more power but It was replaced later because of the horrible engine noise. It's pretty embarrassing to have an engine screaming while everyone else is passing me at low RPMS. Imagine only having 150HP to pull over 3400 pounds. Aside from the engine knocking (see TSB), belts chirping while the AC was on and the lack of power it was a very attractive truck and fun to drive off road. I recommend you V6 shoppers to bypass the 3.0 and go with the 4.0L. Although fuel efficiency is a problem with the 4.0 it will pass once you open the throttle.

My third truck, Toyota Tacoma Srunner is by far the best truck I've every owned. It's impressive 3.4L has great power between 1800 and 5000. I love the manual transmission, lowered stance and white face gages. For a $20K your getting a truck that does 0-60 in 7.3sec (according to truck trend) which was quicker than the 01Dakota Dakota 5.9L, 01 blown Nissan Frontier and 01 Chevy extreme 4.3L. Since I bought it last year I've opt'd and installed K&N FIPK. I love hearing that engine roar at 4800 rpms in 4th doing 115MPH. Also Toyota offers a supercharger for the Taco under factory warranty built by TRD. HP is increased to 260HP, respectively. I know everyone doesn't buy a truck to speed, but it's fun to open it up if you have the power to do so. Besides, my speed is usually limited to hauling my bikes and traffic, which it does without effort. I happy to say no problems to report since I first purchased over 15 months ago and 24,890 miles later. It's just like the old saying, why fix it if it ain't broken, which I have to say goes with the 3.4L. It's a proven engine for the last 8 years. Don't get me wrong guys and gals, I loved my Ford and Chevy but since I've grown older, reliability and lack of shop visits is becoming more of a factor when I buy.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Well TB, I love pretty much any mustang. While I love my bracket car, I would like something street legal to drive on the weekends. On that note I'll probably have to sell my '67 next year. That will be a good down payment on my next vehicle for sure. Any other project car I decide to purchase in the future would have to be something cheap. I don't like hunting down restoration parts or matching numbers as much as like good handling and acceleration. But your capri should be a good investment and a fun weekend toy. The reason I brought up the svo Mustang was because it is one of the rare breeds of mustangs that you don't see every day. Most people just think it is an aftermarket scoop and some rims, but it has quite a hot 4 banger made for canyon carving or autocrossing. I've seen modifications take that engine close to 300 HP at the rear wheels. Oh it seems Ford can build engines when they want to... :)

Off topic again, I was driving to the store today and aparantly an avalanche behind me was in quite a hurry. He tried to pass me for about a block and a half, and he was really revving it. Unfortunately, he could not clear my bumper until we hit a stop sign. Guess those straight six's can't compete with a 10 year old ford 2.3l automatic. I didn't even know he was racing until I heard the exhaust outside my driver side window. Of course weight had a bit to do with it... Big ole avalanche vs a 93 Ranger Reg cab.
    what year is your svo? and the capri i have was handed down to me by my father. he bought it new in '84 when i spotted it on the ford lot and thought it was a camaro with its huge front spoiler, quad lights and bosch driving lights, and of course that hood scoop which only the 2.3 RS Turbo's got. the 5.0 RS's didn't get the scoop. also, it got the articulated ford sport seats with the square head restraints. but get this, it is loaded, but no power locks. weird huh? it's all original. ;o)
    but who knows what I'll find in the future?
    yeah, that's what i always say.
    but if you do get an SVO Mustang, i'd try for an '86. they were the most powerful and had dual exhaust. but the '84, being the first year, would be cool too. i think after '84, they got headlight that were flush with the front grille. the '84's were recessed back into the headlight frame. but the hood scoop on all were functional for the intercooler.
    www.stangparts.com
    I am playing with the idea of purchasing a late 93-95 5.0l and putting that into my Ranger. Seems to be a fairly easy conversion from what I hear. All I need is the drivetrain(Engine, Trans, rear end), and probably a specially fabricated driveshaft. Anyways that could all be done for about 3-4k, versus the cost of a brand new truck... :)
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    i will do that to my truck eventually...keep track of the work on it and post it on www.therangerstation.com the guys will be glad to see it.
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    Well, all you Ranger fans will love this story. I didn't bag a buck this past weekend but I did have one hell of an adventure in the Great North Woods. Our buddy gave us the wrong directions to the hunting camp that we were supposed to be staying at. That is not difficult to do when you consider that where we hunt there are no street signs. Needless to say, we ended up going up a mountain on a very old logging road that had several very large washouts. In fact, we really put my Tacoma to the test. It was bitterly cold and snowing like crazy. Well, eventually we got to a point on this logging road where the mud was so deep that my Tacoma got stuck, and I mean really, truly stuck. The truck was buried in mud up to the top of the fender flares. Needless to say, my buddy and I were a little nervous considering that we were 20 miles into the woods on a dead end logging road at the top of a mountain with no way out and bitter cold temperatures (and it was 9 PM at night). I truly thought we were in for a long night of walking out of the woods. Just when I thought all hope was lost, I saw head lights come around the corner. And, lo and behold, it was a Ford Ranger. Another friend of ours in our hunting party was also given the wrong directions and he followed our tire tracks up the mountain. And, his little Ford Ranger was able to eventually pull us out (it still took about 45 minutes of work to finally get us out of the mud). I will never again bash a Ford Ranger since it was a Ranger that save me from a long, cold night of walking. It seems obvious to me now that both the Tacoma and Ranger are capable off road vehicles.

It should be noted, however, that the next morning we inspected our vehicles and his Ranger absorbed a lot more damage from the off road experience than my Tacoma. I don't know if that was shear luck or not but again, both trucks were able to make it most of the way up an old mountain logging road that most of you city slickers wouldn't ever dare consider driving on. Take care and I'll see you in the most remote, muddy places on the face of the planet......Steelman.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Heh....on my very first offroad trip (a week after I bought the truck), I pulled a Ranger out of mud too.
    He got stuck at the entrance to the park where we offroad in San Antonio, in grass. It wasn't even that much mud...more like wet grass and ground. I suspect it was the drivers' fault (While I was trying to pull him out, he had his parking brake on).
    got pulled out of a very dicey predicament by a suzuki. anything will get stuck.
    steel, what year and model was the ranger that pulled you out? specs please. engine, tranny, tires, etc.....
    And kudos to you for sharing it!
    anything will get stuck, In fact I pulled out a dozer from the mud the other day, didn't even have to lock the rear. Hehehe, I need the high spirits, fluid flow dynamics exam in 6 hours. Yikes!
  • nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    Well this past weekend I finally got my new Tacoma. Reg cab, 2.7L 4, 4x4, bunch of other little goodies I didnt ask for but it had anyways. Beating up the clutch relearning my standard driving, but thats getting better. I absolutely love this truck! I can't believe it but it feels like it has the same power as my old rangers 3L 6. Plus it doesnt ping constantly. The same night I picked it up I also picked up a 10 point buck, I figured that was a sure sign I had made a good choice.
    congrats. those little reg. cab tacos are cute. i think the reg. cab truck is the coolest of all of them-ford, gm, toyota, nissan doesn't make a reg. cab 4x4. i think the reg. cab f-150 is way cool in 4x4 off-road trim. i wish to god i had never sold my '97 reg. cab light blue ZR2, but we had a baby coming. little did i know i could've gotten a 60/40 split bench out of a junkyard and did what i did when i had my last ranger. it'd been paid for by now too.
    And a special congrats on the deer. Were you hunting with a bow? Gun season doesn't open here until the 23rd and i haven't had the time to put into coaxing one into bow range. Congrats, again
    !
  • nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    I almost went with one of the extended cabs. I sat in one and it was great, it was like sitting in a recliner. And that was so tempting cause I have really long legs. But the thought of paying 21 thousand for a pickup was too much. Anyway, with the tilt wheel, I still have more legroom than with my old truck.
    The deer was with a 30-.06, rifle season started here a couple weeks ago.
    On a sidenote, I'm finally lifting my truck, looks like it'll be done this weekend. Putting 2" Old Man Emu (ARB) coils, nitrogen shocks (N91s), and a long add-a-leaf to the rear, so after that I'll be able to clear 32s with no rubbing.
    If so I got questions.
  • kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    I plan on adding the same lift to my truck. I already add a 1inch body lift and if I add the OME's in front and downey in the rear I should be at about 3.5 inches of lift. I think I should be able to clear 32 no problem. Where did you get you OME stuff at?
    sad: I'm thinking of either putting 32s on when my 31s wear out, or waiting to put a BL on and go with 33s.

kb: 3.5" Should be plenty to clear 32s on 15x8 rims.
    I got OME from fj60.com, Jeff Sharpe (he does not list anything on his site, email him directly)
    If you don't mind. How much did he charge you for the springs and struts? You can e-mail TRDToyota@angelfire.com
    With shipping it came to $320, 881s and N91s
    A lot of stuff was on backorder (strike-related), but it looks like I've lucked out.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    I run 32's what are your questions...?
    Did you notice any changes at all when you went up a size? Gas mileage, pickup, ability to hold hiway speed, any of that? I want to step up to 32s, but if there is much of a downside, I doubt the extra $$$ will be worth it? What do you think?
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    I am also supercharged so the increase in tire size was hardly noticeable as far as power is concerned. The same also applies to gas mileage, it did not change at all. If you think about it the stock tires are 265/70/16 and I put on 265/75/16s. I didn't go any wider just taller and I think it handles a lot better with the 32's than it did with the stock 31's. I also put SAWs upfront so that may have something to do with that. I personally don't think there is any downside to running that size tire. I think you would be pleased with the look and the overall performance off-road, especially with a half-way aggressive tire.
    Today I woke up and was about to hop in the truck to goto work, and found my drivers side door a little ajar. Opened the door to find my dash in pieces, my alpine cd player missing, a 400W amplifier ripped out,my steering column dismantled, and my automatic shifter seriously bent out of shape. Lost just under 1000 bucks in stereo equipment, and about 400-500 dollars in damage. They got through a window I had cracked (I have window vent covers) and somehow used the inside door handle to open the door.

Funny they left the MTX 250W subwoofer amp, and MTX 10" Sub mounted in a pickup box.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a new Edge this week, but like I said earlier, I will weight in all the makes and models out there...
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    that sucks man. I've had my Explorer broken into twice. First time they got the golf clubs, 2nd time it was the CD Deck and subwoofer box. I feel your pain!
    sorry to hear man. i feel your pain though, as my first ZR2 reg. cab got busted into through a shattered driver side window. i lost a punch 200 rockford amp, two kicker 8's, enclosure, panasonic deck cd player, and most hurtful of all, two cd cases- that's personal. this happened at a government run facility where my wife works which has federal police officers patrolling round the clock.

at least you're getting a new edge. i really miss my ranger. i saw a totally awesome FX4 level II in white lastnight driving. it was probably the coolest stock truck i've ever laid eyes on. the level II's say it below the fx4 moniker.

are you going for 4x4? i think one can be had pretty cheap. you may want an ext. cab, as the extra room is awesome and will pay for itself in the long run. good luck and keep us posted.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    stereo equipment is a waste - when it's in your car, that is. I wouldn't mind replacing my stock speakers with some high-quality drop-ins and a small amp - just something loud and clear enough to be heard over the road/wind noise when my windows are down. I don't want anything that advertises its presence to thieves.

Coincidentally, I find it ironic that after all the ribbing around here about where I live most of the time, I'm one of the few that haven't experienced a break-in...

Speaking of stereo equipment, any of you guys know anything about the Onkyo HTS-650 home theatre system? I might buy one before X-mas.
    Stang that just blows I have had my truck broken in and after I got it back from the body shop it just did not feel the same. I felt so violated. Sold the truck 3 months later. Also I don't know how you feel about alarms but after that my new truck I had in alarm put in and I know of two times someone has tried to brake in my truck. First time is when it went off and I looked out the window and saw some people jump in there car and drive off. Second time is when I was leaving to go to work in the morning and noticed my door handle. Someone the night before tried to pop my door handle off and from the looks just about had the handle off. I assume the alarm scared them away because it would have only taked about 10 seconds to pop it all the way off. Just some food for thought.

Off the subject I learned something new this week. Toyota made a Hemi in Japan. Now only if the American Toyota's had a Hemi.
    I want to just replace my stock speakers and wanted some input. 3-way or 2-way? Also, how much would I have to spend to get decent improvement over stock speakers. To me the stockers in Tacomas sound pretty good, but everyone I hear of that knows about sound says that Tacos suck as far as factory sound. What do you think man? I want to keep it below $150; could I get decent improvement after only spending that much, or will my ears only notice it if I spend much more? Thanx a bunch man!
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I replaced the stock 5x7's in my 02 Tacoma when I bought the truck. The stockers are a single paper cone, and I couldn't hear voices very well(I listen to AM mostly). I had Alpine 2-way's installed and kept the stock tweeters connected in the doors. For $150.00, you could replace the front speakers only. When I replaced the rears(about a week later), it didn't make as much difference as the front replacement.
    I don't think there is a big differnce between 2-ways and 3-ways. My advice is got to a place like best buy and listen to the speakers till you find the ones that you think sound good. Then found the model of the ones you think are good and look for them on the internet for them. Also I know some people that will replace the front speakers and use the stock front speakers to replace the rear speakers. The rear speakers have a filter on them which I don't understand why they do.
    Could be a passive crossover. It filters the input signal into a more preferable frequency for the speakers. (I.E. Small tweaters receive only high's, and larger speakers receive the lows) Crossovers are needed when the same channel from the stereo drives very different types of speakers. 3-way vs 2-way is just two ways to skin a cat. Overall 3-ways would produce a more even sound through the frequency spectrum. The extra way is just another element in the speaker for production of a different range of frequencies. But a good quality 2-way can still out perform a moderate 3-way.

Best way to start is to figure out the peak # of watts per channel your current radio puts out. Stock radios are generally pretty weak, and even new speakers won't operate to their fullest. Plan on speakers that exceed this rating (but not by much). Find out the dimensions of the speakers you have now, and then you have a list. The optimal way is to get an aftermarket head unit (stereo) with RCA outputs (4 channels + 2 for subwoofer if applicable). Run RCA cables to an amplifier (2 if adding a subwoofer) and have the amplifier drive the speakers. Then you have to be sure that the speakers can take the amplifier power per channel. Typically 40-50 watts is better than factory, 80-100 watts is REALLY loud. But again wattage rating still doesn't equal sound quality.

You should also consider upgrading speaker wires as well. Stock wires are typically high resistance, with little or no shielding.
    I recommend going to crutchfield and looking at what they have. I bought a pair of JBL 2 way 6.5" drivers and a set of 6.5" component drivers for my Ram and I paid $160 for the package it came with the wiring harness for my truck, the adapter plates to mount the speakers and instructions for installation including removing the door panels. I ordered them on a monday and had them in my fat little hand on thursday and I live in Alaska. The only thing I would do different is get the bass blockers, they are a high pass crossover that filters out frequncies below 100Hz. Anything under 100Hz should be sent to a subwoofer for accurate reproduction.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Focal Utopia component with JL Audio amps....it ownz...same for the sub.
    do not buy anything from best buy. they sell junk for the most part. but for $150, i'd leave it alone. to get truly good sound, you have to replace your oem deck, add some clean power, quality speakers (2-way sets will do for the non competitive stereo enthusiast as 3-way sets require lots of mounts for crossovers and speakers)and forget rear speakers (no one uses rears, even in cars when they build systems- why? are you ever back there?), and some type of subwoofer assembly. i prefer smaller subs which deliver quicker tighter bass. for a small truck, that's what i'd suggest. i had two 8" kicker subs in a size correct solid box and it shook the little ZR2 reg. cab. it got stolen. for $1000, you could have good decent loud sound in your rig.

here's what i had:
    infinity 2-way components kappas
    panasonic deck (i like them)
    rockford fosgate punch 200 amp (by far the best imo in amps, highly underrated and durable as hell)
    some good quality wire and professinal installation (not from best buy, but from a pro that competes.)

crutchfield offers all of this i believe. maybe not the rockford amp, but there are good amps there too. buy one amp to do the whole system.

basically you need a good deck, an amp, and some component speakers. also some cable.

wood for a box, and someone to put it all together.
    Ford Ranger 2d regular cab Edge, 3.0l v6, 5 speed manual, 6 disc changer, cruise and tilt for $14,481 out the door. 100 bucks over invoice and 2000 dollar rebate. (not counting trade in) Only thing missing that I wanted was power windows and locks. Sounds pretty good to me, any thoughts?

Tommorrow I will check out toyota of dallas, and a two other ford dealerships. Will probably purchase the winner Saturday ..
    Also here is a link to my truck that has pics of my stereo if you need to get any idea's.

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/kbtoys

4x4?
    4x2
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Bummer about that stereo !.........geo
    Happy new owner of my 2nd Ranger. Just got home after trips to 3 dealerships(1 nissan, another Ford, and one Toyota). I got the first truck I looked at as described above and she's all black and beautiful. The 3.0l really does have some pep to it, especially since I have the standard transmission and regular cab. The edge models have a nice height to them, and I was sitting higher than stock jeep cherokees. Had no problem passing people without going past 3.5k. Haven't had a chance to try out the CD player, but that is the least of my concerns now. Had a nice long drive home through many construction sites without a single creak or rattle. I do have to get used to stopping and starting smoothly with a manual trans, but what a deal that could not be matched by any other truck or dealer.
    nothing like a new vehicle, especially a new TRUCK!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    ALL my trucks have been black ! Love
    that color ....congrats...........geo
This discussion has been closed.