Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

changing jeep liberty oil

jjjnjjjn Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Jeep
How do I access the oil filter on a 2002 Jeep Liberty? I crawled under it, but need a hint! Thanks.john

Comments

• tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    i haven't changed my oil yet, but it looks like you can get to it from the top no problem. and im already planning on forming a cardboard irrigation way so oil doesn't spill all over the axle. just reach down and unscrew it, let the oil drain from the filter down your cardboard bridge to the oil pan and then put the new one in. warning, the factory filters are known to be "welded" on, and very hard to remove because they don't lube the filter around the rubber gasket. make sure you do this with the new one. good luck and let me know how you turn out.
  • adamisadamadamisadam Member Posts: 6
    "factory filters are known to be "welded" on, and very hard to remove because they don't lube the filter around the rubber gasket. make sure you do this with the new one."

Why would you put a new filter on dry and risk poor sealing?

adam
    i wouldn't. but DC did. that's why so many owners are having a hell of a time removing factory oil filters. putting a filter on an engine that has never had oil pumped through it wouldn't need a seal. it is dry to begin with. anywho, this is a big issue on the liberty forums on jeepsunlimited.com. just repeating what i've been reading. i haven't changed mine yet as i have only 2000 miles on her.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    That Liberty is an alluring rig. I'll wait for the market to settle down on them, and give Consumers Union a chance to evaluate them. I haven't read the forum on dry rubber seals, but I can't imagine that being too big a deal. Isn't it just an irritation, or is there a meaningful problem?
    it isn't anything. i just warned someone that some people are having a hard time removing oil filters from the factory installation. no biggie.
  • jsstoverjsstover Member Posts: 40
    I can atest to the welding on of the filters. I was changing mine, had to use a breaker bar over my wrench to just get the plug loosened up. Even with the filter wrench, breaker bar and a mallet, I could not loosen the filter. So here I am, no oil in the truck, with a filter twisted down like an empty beer can. Well put oil back in it and drove couple of miles down the road to my jeep dealer. They were going to charge me for an oil change. Yeah, right.
  • malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    you back at the dealer at least once.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    worthy of some five-star letters. I bet somehow, if they dig down deep, DC can find a half dozen oilcans and a case of oil per week's production to put a quick squirt and ring-around of oil on those gaskets if their fine customers get owly enough.

maybe their spiders will even find this thread.... ?
    For many years now, I've had a device in my tool collection that purports to aid one in the removal of twisted off, etc., oil filters. In fact, what it is, is a filter base "claw" device. It is made to be operated via 3/8 inch square drive tools (ratchets and attachments). There are two different base "claws" in the set, to accommodate a variety of "busted off filters." This thing lets you get hold of the base plate on the engine when the canister is gone, due to violence previously rendered, shall we say. (:o]
    i think the liberty is actually two-hand accessible if you bend over from the front. if one could get two dry hands on a cold or warm filter, i would think you could break it free before the violence ensues. i will soon find out since i waited till it is in the 40's here in iowa now to do the first oil change. brr. but this will feel like 100 in about a month and a half.
  • dougm1dougm1 Member Posts: 16
    No question that these things are virtually impossible to remove the first time-especially considering their location. I took mine to dealer for first oil change and told them not to overtighten the filter. Ever since, I have done every oil change. I get filter from underneath. You can squeeze your arm up past fan cowling to filter and then wriggle it out. Sometimes kind of messy but it works.
    I have found that lots of paper towels and work gloves for heat insulation are great aids in removal and replacement of oil filters, especially when they are not vertically mounted and not real easy to reach.
  • dwiggs7dwiggs7 Member Posts: 1
    Am contemplating a 2003 Liberty Sport 4WD Command-Trac. Anybody tow one four-down behind a motorhome yet? I had no problems and no restrictions with my 1988 Command-Trac 4WD Commanche or with my 1993 Command-Trac 4WD Cherokee. Thanx.
This discussion has been closed.