Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Triton V10

moe7moe7 Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Ford
Just thought we should have some input regarding
the V10!!

Comments

• Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    275 hp is that all.
  • Options
    Thats certainly enough!!!
  • Options
    Rumor has it The TRITON v-10 will get 25 more horse next year like the 5.4 did this year. 300hp thats more like it for a V-10
    Yee-ha
  • Options
    COOL MOE
  • Options
    I thought i would see alot more responses than this regarding the V10!! Motor trend's Truck trend magazine (and i quote) all things except fuel economy considered,Fords V10 is the best truck engine around!!! They also go on to say "its torque delivery is awesome off-idle,and its smoother,quieter,and calmer than the more powerful DodgeV10"

I know the Dodge has more HP but HP is'nt everything!!

Comments anyone???

moe7
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    There are a lot of comments in the Ford Super Duty conference. I agree with the commentary though -- I like this V10 better than Dodge's for a lot of reasons. That's why I got one. If I got a Dodge (if they made a crew cab) I'd get the Cummins, no question.
  • Options
    Stanford....

I agree 100%!!!!

moe7
  • Options
    cotleurcotleur Member Posts: 3
    I was hoping I could get a little input I'm trying to decide weather to get the dodge or the ford.
  • Options
    tom50tom50 Member Posts: 14
    Cotleur
    Look at the number of TSB's for this year's model. At last count the Ford had 1 and it was of no real signifigance, while the Dodge had 10! I also looked at Dodge before I ordered my Ford. The problem was that most of the Dodge owners that I talked to always seemed to have a bit of hesitency about their truck. While reading about the Ford, I did not read so much as a suggestion of regret. Now that I have my own F250 SD I can honestly attest that it is more than I expected. But you have to make up your own mind. I'de thought that I'de put in my $.02 worth.
  • Options
    cotleurcotleur Member Posts: 3
    Tom50, thank you for your $ .02 worth every little bit helps, I really appreciate any help or info given. Just incase anyone was wondering I am leaning towards the Ford. Thank you again Tom50 and everyone who helped, well gotta go I am supposed to order it today.
  • Options
    checksixchecksix Member Posts: 28
    Depends on how you plan to use your V-10

I've had this 99 SD F-250 V-10, EOD 4speed since August . Towed a 26 foot 7500 Pound Tag-along Travel Trailer from PA to California to Texas, 12,ooo miles on it now.

Rear axle is 3.75, and tows fine as long as you remember to lock out O/D. Otherwise, it will downshift way too much.

O/D is for empty highway cruising, not towing. Fuel consumption towing in O/D is no better, and tranny strain is certain to cause problems down the road.

Fuel consumption has averaged 9 MPG towing
    12 solo

Factors such as mountain grades, headwinds, and hammer down speeds will definitely have an efect.

Altitudes varied from 285 feet below sea level to 10,000 feet.

Overall, I am satisfied with this engine,towing load combination. If I decide to buy a larger, heavier trailer, I will definitely upgrade to the PSD and install a Jake Brake,and opt for the Manual tranny.

Logic is that for serious towing, do what the trucking industry has done for the last 100 years.
  • Options
    ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    article in the new autoweek shows the 2000 excursion, says v10 will be rated at 300hp/430lb ft torque. would guess the 2000 sd will get the increased power too.
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    Hey, tom50...

Where can we find TSB's for Chevy, Ford, and Dodge? Is it available on the web?

It would be great to have access to them!
  • Options
    blightblight Member Posts: 22
    I have always been a Chevy man, but I just bought a F-250 V-10. The engine and the ride were the two biggest factors in my decision. I have only used two tanks of gas so far, and figure I am getting about 11 mpg with a combination of city and highway driving, and even a high canopy. My Dad has a Chevy 454 crew cab, and has only gotten 12 mpg on the highway and unloaded at best. If I had a 4.10 rear like him, I probably would get about the same mpg. This V-10 has exactly the same torque and almost as much hp as the 454.
  • Options
    catfish4catfish4 Member Posts: 6
    Just surfing the the Super Duty conference.
    I ordered my F-350 4X4 V-10 cab and chasis XLT package on 2/2/99 and it arrived on 3/4/99 to my surprise. The flat bed will be installed during the coming week. I inspected it on 3/5/99 and was impressed with the quality in the engineering of the unit. I crawled under it to look everthing over. I was impressed. I noted the lift blocks between the rear axle and the frame. I may need the truck lowered to fit my gooseneck trailer. My dealer said it was a warranty item and they would lower the truck if needed at no cost to me.
    Is there an after market chip that will improve the V-10 engine performance??
  • Options
    tom50tom50 Member Posts: 14
    FETZ

The TSB's are available on the web. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb and www.alldata.com
    Yes, that is dot between nhtsa and gov. You can find info on recalls and tsb's on any auto
    Tom50
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    tom50...

Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    quick note...on lowering the 4x4...by this friday, the ky plt. is to issue an authorized kit to lower your unit, but only by 2 inches...point is, don't just casually let your dlrshp lower your unit the entire 4 inches...ky plt. is not authorizing any dlrship to do that...regardless of what your dlrship says...any ?'s, they should call Mark Wilson at the Ky. Plt.
    Thanks! Good Luck!
    JB, aka Singer4
  • Options
    papypapy Member Posts: 1
    American friends give to a french fan of american SUV, the name and Web adress of kits to improve power and performance of the V10.
This discussion has been closed.