Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Added this discussion as I did not see a general Tacoma discussion. Purchasing a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 Extended Cab with TRD, SR5 Color Key, automatic, sunroof, bucket seats, etc.. Was wondering if there was any tips or potential problems I should be aware of on the Tacoma. What type of mileage should I expect on the highway?

Comments

• smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    I have 2001 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab TRD, SR5, automatic as well. Of the 28,000 miles I have owned it the only problems I have encountered are a dash rattle behind the passenger air bag and the rubber gaskets between the fender flares and fenders coming loose. The flares have been fixed on the 2002's and up but I don't know about the dash rattle. (Hopefully you don't inherit this genetic trait of Tacomas)

Gas mileage..? Prior to the supercharger I would get 18 in town and 22 on the interstate with a best of 26 on a trip to Yellowstone and back, but I was lucky to break 60mph. I think you can plan on getting between 19-21 for the most part.

If you have other questions just ask.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    I have a 2002 Xtracab, V6 manual, SR5 color key (silver, looks awesome!) TRD truck. Bought it 10 month ago, have 20K on it, not a single problem.

There are some people who have dash rattle, but there are posts describing how to fix it. Other than that, there's a guy around named tbunder1 who'll tell you that Tacoma has underpowered engine, fender flares are falling off, water leaks inside the cab, Tacoma has pencil-thin A-arms, etc. Of course, he compiled all those problems over about 1.5 years of hanging out here and just says they are present in all Tacomas. So don't pay any attention to him.

Gas milage: I usually get 17-18mpg in the city, and it's mostly short trips, little or no highway driving in the city. I also have a lead foot and use it quite often. On the highway, I've gotten 20mpg doing 75, usually it's about 19 at 80.
  • jason8691jason8691 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02 xcab 4x4 with the 2.7L. I have had no problems with the truck other than that typical dash rattle (which the dealer fixed). As far as gas mileage, I usually get anywhere from 21 in the city and up to 24 on the hiway. I have also put replaced all the fluids with Red Line syhtnetics, and that may answer for the increased mileage.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 98 TRD Tacoma 5 spd. The clutch pedal squeaks intermittantly, and that is all. In 154,000 miles, just routine maintenance. In my incredibly anal way, I have recorded the mileage from day one and it has never been less that 18 (towing) and never been more than 22. I am pissed if I get less than 20 just piddling around and ususally find a low tire as the culprit, since I drive around on the farm a lot and seem to be a magnet for nails and stuff. GREAT TRUCK!!! Get one today.
  • dobsuetwodobsuetwo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1986 Toyota truck. The thing is the best piece of machinery I have ever purchased. However, I was thinking about buying a new 2003 Tacoma. What I want to know is Toyota still making quality trucks? Is the Tacoma worth the price? Should I consider something else? I'm a female and am a little behind in what's out there now. Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have a deposit on a 2003 Tacoma. I've been researching the Tacoma and it's competitors the hard way. I purchased a Nissan Frontier in 1998 because I saved money compared to Tacoma. It was an overweight underpowered pig lacking the quality and refinement of a Toyota but it was probably better than a Ranger, S10 or Dakota. Maybe not. I then purchased a 2002 S10 Crew Cab because it had all the features I wanted and was over $5000 less than the Tacoma. It had electrical problems, paint problems, got 15 mpg city or hwy and the overall truck was a big disappointment. I now have a deposit on a 2003 Tacoma and expect to take delivery the second week of November. There are no rebates and no 0% financing on the truck like there are with it's competitors. Why? I think it is because it is a better truck and needs no help to sell it. I've learned my lesson, you get what you pay for.
  • tacoma4metacoma4me Member Posts: 14
    I have an 02 DC silver TRD Tacoma that I absolutely love. I have about 20k on it in about 11 months. The only problem I have had is the dash rattle, and the foam trick fixed me up. I have made a couple of longer trips with it, and am more then satisfied with the ride (keep in mind it is a truck). As to mileage, I have been getting 17-18 in town, and 22-24 on the open highway. I live in TN so I see lots of hills to climb.

I did the research before I bought it, and have not regretted it since. It was not the cheapest, but I have no doubt, it is the best. If you want cheap, check out the Nissans and Fords.
  • eb12eb12 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 02 Reg Cab (5sp) since 1/02. I have also own a 95 T100 and a base 93 truck. 14k miles with no problems, Heater and AC works great, I average 25 MPG, Hope to replace OEM tires soon.
    This truck is great, No regrets.
    I believe you get what you pay for, worth the extra money.
  • beachbratbeachbrat Member Posts: 23
    Would a 99 4cylinder prerunner extended cab TRD be able to pull a ski boat up Big Bear, CA?
  • mocha4mocha4 Member Posts: 4
    Guys, if you are reading this I just wanted to say that I have owned my tacoma for 4 years and other than the regular maintenance, I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle. I put on about 300 km a week on this puppy and she is the mostly reliable vehicle that I have had in the long run. I paid $23,000 for this vehicle and I just finished paying her off. I do my own oil changes. I have spent about $1500 (CDN) on maintenance in the last 4 years. This includes tires and shocks. Eventhough I paid more up front I am seeing the rewards now. I average 23 mpg and do 80% highway driving with this vehicle. I hoped toyota has fixed that seatbelt problem. I have 135,000 km on this vehicle and expect to make it to 250,000 km
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    But I would love some input. I have a son that will be driving in 3 years. I want to be able to hand down to him a PAID for 3-4 year old vehicle. Unfortunately, I have not won the lottery.....yet. I currently have a '00 Maxima SE, and had 2 previous Max's before, now you see the cause for my name. BUT, I don't want to hand down this type of "car" to a new young driver, especially when the speedometer goes to 160, not that I want to know if the car will go that fast, probably NOT, I just don't want him to think he can be racing this car. So, I am thinking of selling the Max, and getting a '03 Tacoma 2wd, 4dr, V6, I have always loved the looks of those trucks, but I would really like to hand down this truck to him in 3-4 years, then I can think about "me" again.

Any input on a Tacoma for a 16 year old, there are no safety test results on the '03 here at Edmunds.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are two different websites that might be helpful to you. The first is the NHTSA (National highway safety trafic administration) website. This has all of the government crash test ratings on vehicles. The other is the IIHS (insurance institute for highway safety) website. This is an independent rating organization that uses some more severe testing for new vehicles.

On both organizations' tests, the Tacoma does better than any other compact pickup, however there is a "but" in that statement.

Pickups, and compact pickups more particularly do not have the same type of safety measures built into them as cars and/or they do not have them to the same standards as cars do. For example, while the tacoma does have steel door beams, they do not have the same standards as cars do. Similarly for crumple zones. While the Tacoma does have them built into the design, it is limited in effectiveness by the ladder frame that the truck is built onto. Some of these drawbacks are mitigated by the fact that you are in a larger (more massive) vehicle than most of those on the road, so are less likely to be injured in a crash with another vehicle and that you have a better view and perspective on things going on around you.

So going back to what I started with, the Tacoma does have the highest safety ratings of any compact pickup in the marketplace today, but if you're looking for passive safety built into a vehicle in the event of a crash, a car will have much more designed into the vehicle.

Hope this helps and if I just confused the issue, feel free to re-post for a clarification.
    All you have to do is this:
    1. Buy a 2003 4WD Tacoma.
    2. Lift it 6".
    3. Put 33x12.5R15 tires on it and leave the gearing stock.
    Your kid will not be able to chirp the tires from the start even if it was raining, forget about racing, a VW Rabbit could take him on then :)

Stock V6 Tacos are powerful, and with the 8yo engine, you can bet that they work fine. If you want to go down a more reliable route, get one with 2.7L I4: those engines are bulletproof. There is a guy on our TTORA boards who just hit 327K miles and was complaining that his engine was having a problem with rings. Imagine that.

The only thing you would need to worry about with trucks is the kid going offroading, but if he gets into a good group he'll be fine and make a lot of friends (as well as learn how to drive properly).

Safety-wise: It depends on what sites you look at. nhtsa.org and iihs.org are two main ones, first one is government organization and second one is insurance institute. You really have to combine both results together to see the entire picture.
    I feel my Tacoma is safe for me. I drive like a maniac sometimes and it feels rock solid (I've test-driven Isuzu Rodeo, that thing sways left and right, nose-dives everytime you hit brakes, etc)
    regardless of many things I do. While it's not a car, it's safe enough.

Another thing to think about: this is the last year of this generation of Tacoma. 2004 models will be redesigned with a bigger (hopefully) engine. What you may want to do is wait until next year when 2004s are introduced. Then, if you like 2004s, wait 6 month and buy one, or buy a 2003 real cheap.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Very helpful info there, you two. I am awaiting quotes from 3 different Toyota dealers here in South Mississippi. However, I am still undecided of what I want to do. But I do know, I have ALWAYS liked the looks of those Tacoma's. Safety is a major concern for my son (our only child), and you know kids, they want to "show out" their vehicles, I just hope he does it intelligently.

Thank you so much.
  • dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    I bought a used 2001 Tacoma Pre-Runner w/ the 4 cyl. engine and std. cab recently for my son who just turned 16. He loves it! I love it too because he can't carry too many kids in it or go too fast. I can't believe how good it handles. I like driving it much better than my own 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew. I've had 2 other Toyota pickups myself ('77 and '84). Never a single problem (except for totaling the 1st one). BTW, my dad just flew to Mississippi today to move his 96 yr. old mother from her home in Como (near Memphis) into a nursing home.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    any law regarding the carrying of passengers in the bed of the truck. My state its illegal for anyone under the age of 12 to be riding in the back. Not that it really matters cause there is no age preference in an accident. Which leads to my point. Say after a football game the kids decide on going out for a burger. Do you think a couple of them would think it cool to ride in the back of a truck? How effective is peer pressure in a situation like this? Just food for thought.
    riding in the back still beats sitting around in a low rocketship that offers nearly zero protection to the driver at high speeds. Don't hear much about "kids killed while riding in the back of the truck".
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    One kid probably died while riding in the back of a truck and made it dangerous to ride back there. I remember when I was a kid that is where I rode all the time.
    scorpio and lariat1, would you allow your kids to ride in that back of a truck knowing that in an accident, odds are someone will go airborne? And I'm not talking parking lot fender bender.

Secondly, would you allow other kids in the back knowing if there was an accident and someone was injured that because they were riding in the back, the injuries may be more substantial leaving you open to a lawsuit above and beyond your insurance coverage?

I'm just curious cause just recently I witness four kids riding in the back of a Nissan. Three were by my guess around 12-14. However, there was one that looked like 4-5 years old that was running back and forth in the bed when the truck made a left turn. Kid lost his balance but was caught by one of the other kids. I had to wonder what the driver of the truck was thinking...or was he thinking at all?

For some it may be a matter of economics forcing them to ride in the back of a truck. For me, I think it's plain nuts.
    It all depends on whether or not they realize what they are getting into. 12-14 year olds probably don't even know what would have happened if they did get into an accident.
    So I would let them ride IFF they knew what was going on. Nevermind the lawsuits, I'd like to think that not everyone is an idiot to try to solve their problems (and escape responsibility) with a lawsuit: if they know the danger of riding in the back, do it anyway and something bad happens....well, they knew what they were getting into.
    The accident you described I would call Darwinism at work. He's old enough to know whats going on, Nissans' bed is not that big for anyone to mistake it for a soccer field, so maybe he wasn't thinking at all. Hey, he gets hurt like this, he won't do it again.
    I see your point, but if there is people that let their kid run around in a vehicle it doesnt matter where they are riding they are going to get hurt in an accident. As for getting ejected from the bed I am not to sure what it takes but I was riding it the back of my dads truck, (sitting down against he cab because if I moved from there 9 times out of ten an [non-permissible content removed] whuppin happened) anyway we hit a moose at 60MPH it totaled the truck and I got a bruise on my arm. But then again up here the chances of hitting a moose are better than the chances of hitting a car so riding in the back of a truck isnt near as dangerous as other more populated areas.
    "Nevermind the lawsuits, I'd like to think that not everyone is an idiot to try to solve their problems (and escape responsibility) with a lawsuit: if they know the danger of riding in the back, do it anyway and something bad happens....well, they knew what they were getting into."

In todays society a lawsuit based on negligence will occur with 100% certainty. Based on the earning potential of a 12-14 year old.....well I wouldn't even want to think of that.

You're right, 12-14 year olds don't know what they are getting into.
    Whose negligence are we talking about here?
    Can I go out with my friends, get drunk till I can't walk, crawl into my truck, drive away, run into a tree, sober up and sue my friends because they did not stop me from driving away?

If 12-14yos want to ride in the back, let them. Make sure they are not doing any stupid things like standing up while you're doing 60 down the freeway.
    Other than that.....you can't defend yourself against EVERYTHING, sometimes you just have to let it go.
    Sue not your friends but the establishment that allowed you to get intoxicated to the point where you fall off the stool.....deeper pockets.

The thing about minors....they don't have much say especially where their parents are concerned. It's basically up to the adults on whether to allow them in the back or not. Good luck with letting them go.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    wondering if anybody would like to speculate on how the Tacoma's side impact rating could possibly affect people riding in the bed...
    regardless of rating of the sides.
    With a side impact all the force is perpendicular to the vehicle, and will launch people from side to side. With beds being pretty shallow on most trucks, anyone not sitting down very low would probably be flung out of the bed.
    Same would happen with a rear-end collision at high speed differential (only now people would be flung back at the vehicle that struck the truck).
    truck being tboned by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say the passengers in the bed and cab didn't survive.
  • dancersstuddancersstud Member Posts: 1
    My Tacoma 4x4 extended cab came with the standard Bridgestone 16" tires which slip on the wet from a stand still start. The handling at speeds over 70 mph seems soft and unpredictable.
    I generally have the tire pressure at 36psi usually ride alone with an unloaded bed.
    Anyone else feel unsafe at higher speeds and any suggests as to how to improve upon the ride?
    1. Deflate the tires to 28-30. Having so much pressure means you're not riding on the entire width of the tire, but on the center (do a chalk test to see what I'm talking about).
    2. Get better tires if above does not help.

I've driven at 90 and truck felt fine, but I ride around with 28-32 psi pressure max.

Improving upon the ride:
    1. Replace coils to better ones (OME makes them, if you don't want lift, you'll want 880 coils. www.arbusa.com), you can buy a setup with 880 coils and shocks from them.
    2. Tire slippage: put 3 50-lbs bags of sand in the bed.
    3. If you don't want to spend money on new coils (should be around $250-300), you can buy used TRD coils off someone on ebay who put a lift on.
  • whatnow2whatnow2 Member Posts: 24
    Own a 2001 tacoma 4x4 6cyl 5M TRD. No major complaints. 18-20 mpg on mixed highway/local. "notchy" shift from 1st to 2nd when cold. whiny sound from engine in low revs. whine from cab fan at setting 3 and above. driver seat fabric wearing prematurely. I like the stability on hwy in high winds at 75 mph. definitely get rubber floor mats - the fabric ones are crappy. less than professional finish on truck bed metal. Engine noise will not remind you to shift into 5th - you need to get used to this. When I drove the automatic, I hated the lack of "punch" compared to the manual.
    Picked up my new Tacoma this week. It is 2K3 Extended Cab, 4WD, Silver, auto, TRD, SR5 w/ color key, cruise, power pkg, sliding rear window,sunroof, and hitch. The cruise control is the Toyota add on cruise and is installed on the left side of the steering column. When I went to pick up the truck it did not have cruise and I was told it would when I ordered it. Major headache and frustration ensued and when the dust settled the dealer installed cruise. Does anyone have any comments about the Toyota non-factory cruise control good or bad?

So far very happy with the truck. The seats are too soft for my liking and the steering wheel is slightly off center and will need to have it adjusted by dealer so that the truck will go straight when the steering will is centered but those are my only issues.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    could someone tell me if the new Tacoma's still have the column shifter on the automatics? Thanks!
    Nope. Auto shifters are now mounted in the center like manual shifters.
  • esundersesunders Member Posts: 12
    I have been considering buying a new Tacoma after my 1989
    Nissan 2WD was totaled. I am looking at a 4WD Xtracab
    manual transmission, but I am undecided on 4 cyl or the V6.
    The EPA estimates are 18/21 for the 4 cyl, and 17/20 for the
    V6. What is the typical mileage that people have gotten? The 2.7L
    4 cyl is rated at 150 HP, and the V6 is 190 HP, and there is only 1 mile a gallon difference? I typically got 25 mpg in my
    nissan, but that was a 2WD vehicle, of course.

The models I have looked at have all had bucket seats. Just
    how comfortable are these seats for extended periods of time?
    The bench seat in my Nissan was dreadful for more than short
    distances. I have been driving a Honda Accord until I get my
    truck, and have been spoiled by the comfortable seats. Of course this is a truck and not a car, but I would prefer some
    comfort. This vehicle will be used as my daily driver.

My last question is about TRD. It seems that almost all the V6 vehicles I have seen have TRD. I have seen one V6 without, however. How does this affect the ride? I really don't have serious plans to offroad, but it would be nice to have 4WD, as I have gotten stuck a couple of times on back roads in my 2WD truck, and the few times it does snow here (I live in NM),
    a 2WD truck is a pain on slick roads, especially on an incline.

So, I guess I am probably leaning toward the 2.7 4 Xtracab w/o TRD for mileage and comfort reasons, but wanted to get some feedback from Tacoma owners.
    1. Milage: I have a 2002 V6 4WD manual. Last tank was 18mpg, all of it city driving (few 10-mile freeway runs). On highway, at 75 I get around 19-19.5, at 85 I get 18, 90-17mpg. I got 20 once, but I'm not the law-obiding type to drive the speedlimit and got it because of heavy traffic. I was doing about 70-75. As far as I4s go, they get much better gas milage. They always go into 300-mile on each gas tank, while I usually have to fill up when I hit about 280. It's not 1mpg, it's a lot more. I've heard of some getting 24mpg.

2. Seats: to each their own. Nearly everyone in TTORA complains about how bad seats are, but I don't get it :) I drove from TX to KS few times this year (700 miles each way), and I felt fine. I also made a run from Austin, TX to Chatanooga, TN once (17 hours), and didn't have any problems. But the problem is that you have to try it out yourself and see how you like the seats. 15 minute drive won't do it. Statistically, I think, you'll find them somewhat uncomfortable.
    If you are mechanically-inclined, you could install more comfortable seats.

3. TRD. Everybody now has TRD. 99% of people don't know what it is and don't use it. TRD is a nice package if you're going for an offroad truck. The #1 reason to get TRD is the locker. HOwever, it is available on some models as a stand-alone option...#2 reason is better suspension. Progressive coils and better shocks make ride better and firmer. Again, you have to try it yourself. I think you'll find non-TRD a little too soft. Worst case, if you don't like non-TRD setup, there's always plenty of people who sell their TRD suspension (coils and struts) brand new or very little used because they install lifts. I know because I just sold mine on ebay today for $170, complete front coils+strut setup ready to bolt on plus rear shocks.
    For more info, go to www.ttora.com , it's a nation-wide club of Tacoma owners/offroaders. Check the message boards, ask away. You'll find loads of good info there.
  • mattttt25mattttt25 Member Posts: 2
    have a 2002 tacoma 4x4 sr5 double cab, fully loaded. love it. question- what exactly does the ecm button do? i know it smehow changes the shifting, but can someone explain it better? does it wear on the engine more to run it often? anything would be helpful. again...love the truck in every way, pulls my big boat just fine, move the clock and its flawless...
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The ECT button does change the shifting. It actually stands for "electronically controlled transmission". What it does is when it is in the power mode indicated by the "ECT PWR" on the dash when engaged, the transmission will downshift more readily with less pedal travel on the gas and when accelerating with the pedal depressed more heavily, it will stay in the lower gear longer before upshifting. With the HP and Torque bands on the Toyota engines extending higher into the RPM range, it gives a nice boost to the acceleration on the vehicle, at the expense of gas milage if you're a bit of a lead foot.

Hope this helps.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I also had a Nissan 2wd that was recently totaled. Mine was a 1990, however. I replaced it with a 1996 Tacoma V6, extended cab, 2wd.

The seats in the Tacoma are a big improvement over the bench seat in the Nissan. The side bolsters, center armrest and adjustable seatback angle all are major improvements over a fixed-angle bench. The taco seats are still firm after 83,000 miles. I just made a 300 mile (one way) Thanksgiving trip and have no complaint with the seats. I don't like the door mounted armrest though.

Gas mileage for the trip with the 6 cylinder was 21 MPG. My Nissan was getting about 22 with the four banger and a smaller, lighter truck (std cab). If you go with the 4x4, you will naturally take a hit on the gas mileage.

I have to say that the V-6 is really nice... smooth and torquey. It effortlessly climbs hills in 5th that the Nissan needed 4th to hold its speed. The newer Toyota 4 is more powerful than my old Nissan (134 HP), but the six is soooo nice.

One thing that I miss about the standard-cab Nissan is the nimble handling. The long wheelbase of the ex-cab Toyota makes for a much larger turning diameter and far less agile feeling handling.

Whatever version of the Tacoma you choose, I don't think you can go wrong. They are well designed, solidly built trucks.

-james
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    Got a 4x4, ext cab trd v-6 5 spd, 1998 model Tacoma. 156K miles, never less than 17 mpg (towing) and never more than 22 mpg (windows up, 67 mph, air off, 36 psi, interstate). I can tell you that if you're going to be above 40 mph for extended periods, it actually saves fuel by running the air and leaving the windows up. Tailgate down has no noticeable effect. Below 40, the drag penalty is negligible and windows down is better. BTW, I have checked and recorded mileage since I owned the truck.
    Seats are buckets and I like them fine for any length of trip. TRD is hard ride, but doesn't bother me.
    I have been stuck in it three times, all on inclines with wet grass only. Dropping into 4HI allieviated the problem.
    I like the Pre-runner for its ride height, but the automatic transmission totally bores me, so I had to go 4x4.
    Mine's still cooler :)

Mine's 2002:

Here (At Tellico, NC)

Here(At San Antonio)

And here (closeup of ....my tonneau cover :)

All those pix are of the stock height, I just had it lifted, no pix of that yet.
    I like the picture with the truck sideways and also all muddy. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

A little background about my Tacoma. During the past 5 years I have tried to purchase a Tacoma 3 times and could not get a dealer in my region to get the equipment I wanted. The two problem issues were ABS and Sunroof. I must have tried 20 plus dealers in the Midwest area.
    In 2003 ABS is standard so all I really needed was to find a truck with sunroof and color key. I again found that midwest dealers could not get the truck but that West Coast and Southeast dealers had trucks equipped the way I wanted. Since I wanted color key I was limited to Silver, Black, Red and Dark Red. First choice was dark red but I ended up finding a silver one since there really does seem to be more Silver Tacomas than any other color.

Did a dealer lookup for major cities in the Southeast and checked their inventory. Emailed about 8 dealers in the Atlanta area and ended up making a deal on the Silver truck that I posted a picture of earlier.
    Once a price was agreed to (about $23,500 on a $26,500 MSRP) I waited for the dealer to get the truck from port. Then I got a call that the truck was damaged during delivery and the dealer refused it. Arggg!

They found another truck and last week I flew to Atlanta and picked up the truck and drove it to Chicago area. I am very happy with the truck and plan to keep it until it falls apart.

The thing that really makes me angry about Toyota is not being to order what you want from the options available. What makes it worse is that Toyota was building the exact trucks I wanted but would not sell that option combination in the region I live in.

Something else odd is that the dealers I spoke to in the Southeast all told me that the sunroof was hard to get and when they did get a truck with a sunroof it sold quickly, yet Toyota's line on the sunroof is that it is not a popular option. Hmmm, if you don't make many you won't sell many. There were over 30 Tacomas available w/ sunroof in Southeast region port 3 weeks ago and now there are zero.

Bottom line is I highly recommend a Tacoma even with the hassles of obtaining one the way I wanted it equipped. Majority of people would not be a stubborn about specific options as I was and can get one from their local dealer.
  • 1evilduck1evilduck Member Posts: 11
    Man i envy all of you!! I just recently traded my 2000 Taco v-6 4X xtra cab Limited for a new Jeep Liberty. Let me give you all some advise, don't ever trade your Toyota's! I have driven so many cars, trucks, and SUV's looking for somthing that my wife and I could agree on, and for the money, NOTHING compares to my Taco. I feel so empty without my truck!!
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    He LOVES Jeep Liberty's and would be glad to tell you how great they are.

Maybe he could help you get over (i doubt it) the loss of your Tacoma?

Obi
    With his hardcore does-not-compare-to-anything-you-can-put-on-your-Tacoma
    OTT lift, yeah, he'll help him get over it:)

Why Liberty? If you had a 2000 Ltd Taco, you could have easily traded for a 4Runner.
  • 1evilduck1evilduck Member Posts: 11
    the Liberty was about $8500.00 less than the 4Runner, with the same equipment. And, it was the best car that my wife and I could agree on. Don't get me wrong, I like the liberty, but when comparing it to the Taco....well, let's just say I miss my truck a whole lot!
    Earlier today I walked past a Tacoma ex-cab TRD and the rear fenders on it were bulged out sort of like they wanted to make it a stepside but only got halfway there. I was wondering if that is an option or if it is standard on all Tacomas. I thought it looked pretty good on the little truck.
    TRD comes with fender flares, they are about 2.5-3" wide. That's probably what you saw.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Yes. Toyota makes a "step-side" version of the Tacoma and I agree with you that they look nice. It is not a standard option as far as beds are concerned, you would have to order one or be lucky enough to find one at a dealership.
This discussion has been closed.