Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• freeflyfreefly Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 extended cab Tacoma with the split 40/60 bench seat. The driver's seat in particular has never been very comfortable, and now (after about 140k miles) I'd really like to replace it. Looking at aftermarket bucket seats, maybe Recaro's. Anyone done this? If I put in bucket seats, is it possible to install a center console/arm rest? Local Toyota dealer says I can't buy a console, is there an aftermarket option?
  • jet_driverjet_driver Member Posts: 2
    Recently my 1997, 4cyl, 4x4 tacoma has sounded and acted pretty sluggish on start. The truck will start fine, but the engine chugs along, at the point of stalling, while at idle. After a few minutes the truck begins to run normally again. A couple of days after this began to happen I got a check engine light. The light remained on for a few days and now has since gone out, but the problem still exists. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mike247mike247 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any way some can tell me how much HP or torque a factory 99 Tacoma 2wd axle can handle I just put in a 302ci and have lots of mods on it and was wandering if I would be able to drive on the factory rear end for a while until I get my ford 8.8 or 9”. Thanks for you help, Mike
  • jet_driverjet_driver Member Posts: 2
    What is the deal with aftermarket headers? Will they improve my performance of my truck and what are good brands to look at.
  • avwerksavwerks Member Posts: 1
    Coming from a 2004 xtra-cab (32k) that I crashed (hydo planed) I purchased a access cab 2005 V6 4.0 TRD package with 5-speed auto. That motor screams coming from the 2.3 4cyl.
    My question is: (southern Cal) Where can I take it to have it dialed in on a dyno that will maximise everything within a inch of it's life?

They must know Toyota's of course. I'm assuming TRD is non-functioning on this area?

David
  • mike247mike247 Member Posts: 2
    haha
  • husqvarna_motohusqvarna_moto Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up an 05 double cab TRD off road 4X4 .. 1rst of all I would love to say I LOVE IT ! was wondering if anyone in here can tell me if a foam element filter exists for this truck? All I can find is K&N .. pls let me know siambxr@hotmail.com ... thanks in advance..
  • dboy619dboy619 Member Posts: 1
    Does a 2002 Toyota Tacoma come std with a keyless entry system. And if it does, are there programing instructions out there you can get.;
  • echofxechofx Member Posts: 3
    I just got back from the Toyota Dealer to by some parts for my truck. I was told that the little rubber inserts located in the center console cup holders can not be purchase separately but rather that I have to replace the entire console! This can't be true, can it? Does anyone know somewhere on the wed that I can look for these parts? I mean, we're talking about a $2 items here and I'm sure not going to replace my center console just to replace the cup holder thingies..

Thanks!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That's the first I've heard of that, but what I might recommend is going to your local hobby and craft store and find one of those foam mats they use for making crafts. They come in all sorts of colors as they use them for making figures and such. They feel like neoprene. You can cut them out to whatever shape you want and... presto, you have a new rubber insert for your cup holders.

Ken
    That's a great idea Ken, thank you!

Martin
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    You're welcome.

Ken
  • mr2donmr2don Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have experience with the K&N FIPK and/or cat back exhaust for improved performance and/or gas mileage? I have a 03 Tacoma V6 AT w40K @ 18mpg city-hwy.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Pads could also be cut from mouse pads.
    This is true but I think I'm still a little surprised that I can't just buy these things over the counter. Very odd...
  • memberwhenmemberwhen Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone upgraded to aftermarket rotors and pads? Any experience with Powerslot or Powerstop brand rotors? I keep warping the OEM rotors. I had similar warping problems with the '87 Toyota Truck I owned for 12 years.
    thanks
  • tacoma07tacoma07 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a good website or parts place to find a power steering supply hose for a 99 Tacoma?
  • baileys1baileys1 Member Posts: 16
    I don't thing you can get a keyless entry system from a original Tacoma, but I installed a remote start for winter time and if you have electric door lock, you can put it on the remote and this is for all car. :shades:
  • baileys1baileys1 Member Posts: 16
    I would go on a scrap ward and bought bucket seat and console. You can cleaned them with a carpet wet vacuum :shades:
  • toyota4evertoyota4ever Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    Has anyone installed after market fog lights on their Tacoma?

Mine is a 2004 extended cab TRD.
    Please advise, what brand name, ease of installation, where puchased, etc.
    Thank you,
    Ben.
  • toyota4evertoyota4ever Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased two TRD filters (same as K&N) for my Tacoma and our Sienna van right from Toyota.
    Ben.
  • jennymjennym Member Posts: 2
    In need of help!!!
    How did you buy another fold-up tray from the dealer? When I called the dealer they stated they needed a stock # from Toyota to order another tray. When I called Toyota they stated they don't sell the cup-holder tray as a seperate item. Thank you so much for your help. Once our little one is a year old we would like to be able to have both kiddos in the back seats. (also so that I can eventually ride in the front again!)
  • blt1blt1 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a '97 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab and am looking for aftermarket bucket seats to replace the ones I have. Have you had any luck in locating good replacement seats other than from a junk yard???
  • cstahlcstahl Member Posts: 1
    Saw a beautiful Tacoma (2000) for $10,900. It has 90,000 miles and I'm hesistant getting something with so many miles. How many miles on the average does a tacoma 'live'? The blue book list it @ $11,300, would I be able to still bargain with the dealership?

Any info will be welcomed. I've never owned a Toyota Tacoma and have always wanted one, but I don't want to do something stupid.

cstahl
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I looked extensively last year for a reasonably priced low mileage Tacoma and came up empty as they simply hold their value so well. I ended up stretching it and buying a new one.

As good as they are, I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on a used vehicle.
  • tombvortxtombvortx Member Posts: 1
    I've own a 1991 - 2.4 liter (22RE engine) Toyota which I bought in 1999 at 68K for about $7000. Now have 168,000 miles and still runs strong, has good compression and tows a small Skeeter bassboat OK. Never had any engine work. Timing chain replaced @ 142K. Friends regularly have Toyota's going 200 to 250 K with no problems other than wearable maintenance. Best most reliable truck I ever owned and I am buying another.

So 90,000 is over the 12K /per year allotted mileage. Bargin accordingly. If it's been well maintained then no problem. Have a Toyota mechanic inspect it before buying - cost about $125.
  • redline808redline808 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the new D-4D 1KD-FTV 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine will bolt up to a 2004 U.S.A spec Toyota Tacoma 4x4 automatic trans? I can get the engine and need to know if I will need the transmission as well, Also does anyone know if it is computer controlled injection or mechanical injection?

Thanks in advance.
  • dieselfreakdieselfreak Member Posts: 3
    Where can you get a new D4D? I would love to get one. Since tooling is so expensive I wouldn't be too surprised if the housing wasn't all that different. Even if they aren't all that similar an adaptor plate is easy to make. The new D4Ds are all computer controlled and need the original ECM and wiring harness.
  • ty4htnty4htn Member Posts: 1
    i installed bucket seats in my 99 toyota tacoma and they make a console to go between them it wasnt the bad to put in. So yes they do make a center console for your toyota i would think
  • mcqmcq Member Posts: 1
    Redline 808: Where can you get the D-4D engine? Have you had any luck finding info on bolting it up to a US Tacoma?

thanks

McQ
  • dwolf2dwolf2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 taco ext cab v6 4x4 with 160k, I love this truck. I do have some questions/issues however with the truck. So here goes...

If there anyway to get a child seat in the back ext cab?

Can I put 31x10.5x15 on it without lift, new rims, or other problems (loss of power, gas, stering ect.)?

I have 60/40 seat and want to put in buckets without drilling or losing the saftey of the oem seat belts. Has anyone done this and can suggest sporty seats at a fair price to get?

many thanks
  • 0otacomao00otacomao0 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, I'm new here, but I'm sure this wont be the last of me. I am getting a suspension lift for my yota next summer, but have some questions about it. Mainly it's about shocks, and shock absorbers. I know that some kits don't come with them, therefore they're somewhat unnecessary, but I wanted to know if in the real word or long run they would be necessary. Thanks!
    Sophie
  • 0otacomao00otacomao0 Member Posts: 2
    You should definintely be glad you switched!! Toyotas are the best out there. You can find the most hardcore Ford people and the most hardcore Chevy people, and not one of them will say anything bad about Toyota. Although, the Ford people are crazy anyway. Haha. I'm glad to hear of someone getting rid of a Ford to get a Toyota, music to my ears.
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I'm confused.

Shocks is short for "shock absorber".
    The technical term for the shock absorber is "damper".
    The suspension is supported on springs (coil, leaf, or other).
    Any impulse (or shock) due to a bump in the road or a hole in the road (or running over parts that fell off the FORD in front of you) would cause the vehicle to bounce on the springs at the natural frequency of the system until friction would eventually dampen out the vibration. Multiple impulses (of course we don't have more than one or two bumps per 100 miles on our roads ;-) would cause some very exciting responses to the system in bouncing. Therefore, a "damper" is placed in the system to absorb the energy of the vibration (bouncing). This "shock absorber" is used to damp out the vibration, and is very much necessary for driving at over a couple mph. [shocks are generally hydraulic cylinders, a valve or orifice allows the oil to move from one side of the piston to the other as it strokes, but the higher the velocity (severity of the bounce) the higher the frictional resistance to flow and the greater the damping. Shocks may be pressurized (gas charged) and/or may have auxillary adjustable pneumatic spring action (air shocks)]

So the question is whether you must change the shocks when you add the lift kit, not whether they are necessary. That depends on the amount of lift, how it is accomplished and the stroke of the existing shocks, and how they would be mounted in the final installation.
  • bigmac86bigmac86 Member Posts: 2
    I also am looking into lifts for a 1998 tacoma, although mine is 4cyl. I am curious what things you found out about lifts for "98's. I am looking into SkyJackers lifts. And also what things to look out for or make sure to include when getting one.

Thanks for the info.
    Todd
  • bigmac86bigmac86 Member Posts: 2
    I have 31x10.5x15 on my '98 Tacoma and have no problems except a little rubbing. I have asked if that would cause any problems but everyone i go to says it will just wear the tire down a little quicker. The rubbing only occurs on really sharp turns.

Todd
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Have an '83 Toyota pickup reg cab longbed (7' bed) that I'm looking to replace -- started looking at the '06 reg cab Tacomas and discovered they don't have a longbed (7' bed) option. Does anyone know when Toyota dropped the 7' bed option? (Asked this question in the Toyota Tacoma 2005+ board but no one there knew.)
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    " Does anyone know when Toyota dropped the 7' bed option? "

I think about 1989... :D

I miss it too!
    I figured it must have been a while back since not very many people seemed to know. I'm kind of surprised they aren't more popular; the Ranger is the only compact pickup left that offers it; the Colorado/Canyon doesn't have it, and all the other compact manufacturers don't even offer a regular cab!!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I agree that the regular cab is becoming a thing of the past. When my dad bought his new 79 F250 Supercab, he said that was the start of a new thing. I went on top own several regular cab vehicles, but when I bought my 96 Tacoma extended cab, I realized what my dad saw in bigger cabs. You can pile a load of people in the front comfortably for church, and then stop by Home Depot on the way home to get a load of lumber. And after that, you can throw a couple bikes in the back and go 4 wheelin to your favorite off-road trail for the afternoon without switching vehicles. And to top it off, if there is only 2 of you in the truck, you can stuff all your gear in the back seat and keep it dry without limiting the bed by putting a canopy on it. I can't understand why anyone would buy a regular cab anymore. As for the long bed, if I need that much space, I will hook up the trailer. I have had my truck 3 months and have not used the hitch yet. That is the case with the majority of people. The longer cab with shorter bed keep the wheelbase manageable in town. In fact, that is why I got the 5 foot instead of 6 foot bed. Loved the manuverability of my shortbed Tundra Access Cab. The Ranger is able to pick up the few people that still need the longer bed in a smaller truck.
    That must be why then. I remember when I was buying my '83 Toyota I would have got the extra cab if it had been available (wasn't introduced until the '84 MY). Since then however I've come to value the longer bed and can't think of any instances when I seriously missed having an extra cab (piling stuff in the passenger seat area works fine). Most of what I do is hauling stuff in the bed (helping friends move, hauling stuff to the dump), so the extra bed space comes in handy. I do remember a few instances where it would have been nice to have extra room behind the back seat.

As you alluded that's why I'm looking at the Ranger -- will need to do a special order as the 7' longbeds tend to be rare on dealer lots!
  • diamikdiamik Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some custom wheels for my 05 prerunner. I don't really like the ones Toyota offers. Can't seem to find very many choices. The specs are: 16",6 lug, 5.5" lug dia. 7'' or 8'' wide, I'm not sure about the offset. Something similar to American Racing 136 would be nice. Thanks, diamik
  • mross2mross2 Member Posts: 1
    Went out to start my 2000 Tacoma this morning and while it turned over it didn't sound like it was getting gas. I'm no mechanic but mechanically inclined enough to do most things. Need some input....
    I'm guessing fuel pump or filter.
    What other possibilites?
    Time required to change this out?

Thanks
    Ross
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    If you stop by Sears, you should be able to choose from atleast 20 styles. Probably more. They draw from many manufacturers. Also found this link:
    http://www.wheelsforless.com/search_result.asp?CATEGORY=RWD+Custom+Alloy+Wheels&MANUFACTUR- ER=ALL&DESCRIPTION=16x8+6/5.5&PRODUCT_ID=
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I'm not sure how you can tell by "sound" that the engine isn't getting fuel. No spark or no fuel should "sound" the same. (the engine is basically an electric motor driven compressor if you have no spark or fuel.)

You might check to see if you smell fuel from the exhaust after a number of attempts at cranking.
  • danielg2danielg2 Member Posts: 2
    im new here.. bought a 2000 toyota tacoma prerunner ext. cab about 2 months ago. when i bought it, the previous owner had dented the bumper numerous times with the tongue of a trailer. did that once on my 97 4runner and took off the bumper and hammered it out. looked fine. but i cannot figure out how to do it on this truck. Any ideas?
  • gbradleygbradley Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to replace the wheels on my '90 V6 4X4 Extra Cab SR5.
    Right now I have 15 X 8 original alloys with 15 X 31.5 tires.
    Does anyone know what year they started putting 15 X 7 wheels on Tacomas And Tundras?
    I'd like to find some takeoffs, but I don't know if they will fit my truck.

Thanks
    BTW Toyota Trucks Rock!
  • cedstacomacedstacoma Member Posts: 1
    what is the biggest tire i can put on a 02'TRD prerunner witout haveing to lift it?
  • mikerichardmikerichard Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 4 cyl. with 130,000 mi. The two problems I am having are first, it has just started taking a long time like 10 min for the fast idle to slow down when I start the car, and the second thing which may be related since it started about the same time is whenever I step on the brakes the idle surges up and down between about 900 and 1500 rpm. I think it might be a vaccum problem because I cleaned the throttle body and linkage but it made no difference.
    Thanks Mike
  • vicbvicb Member Posts: 1
    Have 99 tacoma 4 wheel ext cab 4 cyl. This weekend horn went off with no key in ignition for no reason when i would put key in and turn horn would go off pulled fuse to solve that next day i look out and see lights are on same deal insert key turn and lights would shut off. Took to dealer where purchased could not find cause. I have no security system and dealer removed system previous owner had installed before i purchased 3 years ago. Anyone experienced these problems?
This discussion has been closed.