Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• skel10skel10 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 tacoma 3.4L. The problem is I am having is the check engine light comes on. The codes indicate that there is to much air flow. I've tried unhooking the battery to reset the computer,but the the light just keeps coming on. Is there something I am not doing? This is a real pain because the truck can't pass inspection. Any help would be great.
  • americantacomaamericantacoma Member Posts: 4
    I have heard of similar problems before...if you oiled your air filer, theres a good chance you put too much on, try cleaning your MAF with electrical contact cleaner, clean the oil off the filter, and just put a light coat on the outside of it. unhook battery like you did, should make it go away. too much air flow though...thats different, give the clean a try and see what happens
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    There is only one way that this is possible. The vehicle has been flooded and left in the water for a very long time (most likely salt water).
  • kinger2kinger2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Tacoma double cab and have had a vibration problem in the front end ever since we bought it. It was purchased used and has 74,000kms on it. Toyota had a recall on lower ball joints for the 2004 models and we just had them replaced. We also have had our stock rims and tires rebalanced numerous times. It seems as if the vibration comes through the steering wheel at speeds around 80-110kms hr. We had the frame checked for alignment and have had most of the front end checked for suspension. I had the truck up on blocks yesterday and when I spun the front wheels it seems as though the tires hop up and down. I almost think possible bent front hubs, out of balance brake rotors or worn bearings...Any Ideas???
  • kinger2kinger2 Member Posts: 2
    Go to tirerack.com where you can calculate exactly what will fit and what will hit. It also lets you see what the rims will look like on your ride.
  • stone45stone45 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bill:

I just experienced the same problem you had with your 1997 tacoma;went for inspection,got called in;frame totally rusted; needless to say I was shocked !; am in the process of waiting to hear from the higher ups and wondered if you had any luck; the dealer told me this never happens and two very reputable and experienced auto body guys said the same thing; anyway, would appreciate to know how you made out with the higher ups!

Thanks
    Gladstone
  • dbrriderdbrrider Member Posts: 2
    i have 4 factory wheels 02 tacoma 4wd step side - trying to sell
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    pssst... no selling in the Forums :)
  • dbrriderdbrrider Member Posts: 2
    Sorry - didn't read the rules of the road - I'm new -

thanks
  • skeaterskeater Member Posts: 2
    to much oil can give the mass air flow sensor problems and a good electrical cleaner should fix it just put oil on the outside of the fillter this will decrease the chanse of oil build up on the mass air flow sensor to clear that code i am sorry to say that battery trick is out dated go to autozone ask for there OBD2 code reader its in loan a tool so it will end up being a free rent and just erase the code with the tool good luck
  • skeaterskeater Member Posts: 2
    the bigger the tires the harder to balance make sure you have your wheels balanced by a pro check for bent wheels too. you may want to see about changeing the tires
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

We are doing some reorganization of topics here, in an effort to make things a little more focused and easier to follow. For those of you who regularly read this discussion, we invite you to check out the new focused discussions here at the Toyota Tacoma Group. We would like you to use these discussions first, based on your particular question or comment. This discussion will continue to be where owners can hang out and make general comments about their Tacos, but if you have specific component questions, we'd like you to use some of the others (e.g. Body Accessories for things like grille guards, side steps, tonneaus).

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • bugi1960bugi1960 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tacoma and need to change the oil. I can't budge the oil filter. Truck has 18000 miles on it I hope the oil was changed since it left the factory.

I have a rubber band type filter wrench and it won't begin to untighten the filter. What's up?
  • blobblob Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem! Somebody has a gorilla hired to put the filters on!
    I found a vice-grip type pliers that pipe fitters use.
    It has curved jaws that grip round objects without slippage.
    Worked first try! Not too tight, and try to clamp it on where you can get some torque on it with your arm.
    You can find these pliers in a foreign knock off brand.
    I didn't want to spend a lot before I knew it would work.
    Remember to put a garbage bag up around the filter after you get the seal popped, it is a real mess when the filter comes off!
    Good luck!
    Blob
  • mjp29mjp29 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 4WD Tacoma SR5 extra cab has these tires from the factory.

Around 30,000 miles, I noticed abnormal wear on the outer part of the tires. A tire dealer told me (for a $20 alignment check) it needed to be shimmied up so wear wouldn't occur on the outside of the tires (even though their alignment system said it was in range of good alignment). Decided to take it to a Toyota dealer. Took it to a Toyota dealer and had it aligned for $90 - even though the print out said it was only off 0.02 on the front (which I suspect it was within factory alignment and didn't need aligned but they didn't offer an alignment check - was told once it's entered into the computer you get an aligment (end of story) but that's another post I suppose.

Now, at the next oil change (asked for rotation also) the tires are abnormally wearing on the inside of the tires. The oil change company asked if I had bad suspension or something and said at 35psi my tires shouldn't be wearing like this on the sides since that's more pressure than Toyota recommends for the tires (something like 26 and 28 psi).

What puzzles me is that I've been running them at 35psi for a while and suspect they should be wearing on the middle of the tires if anywhere.

I'm at 37,000 miles and will buy new tires soon, but I wonder if this truck has a problem and will just chew up the edges of the new tires I have installed.

p.s. How many miles is this BFG tire rated for, anyone know?
  • crekabcrekab Member Posts: 1
    04 PreRunner - 4 cyl - A/T - 25K miles - recently started this - refuses to shift up to high range until traveled at least a mile. So if I jump right on the freeway, I'm revving in lower range way, way too long.

If dealer knew answer, I probably wouldn't be asking here.
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    It's too early for any "normal" tranny problems. Have you done any work on it recently?

--
    Marcus
    http://www.TacomaWorld.com/
  • toyo4x4toyo4x4 Member Posts: 2
    i recently broke my rear passenger leaf spring on my 98 tacoma, and only can find replacement springs at a reasonable price that go to a 1997, does anyone know if these will work or a good website where i can find some at a reasonable price?
  • octuneoctune Member Posts: 1
    Count me in...I have a 1998 Tacoma in excellent driving condition with no body rust, but the frame rails have SEVERE rust rot where you can poke your finger through the bottom of the rails. The truck has been parked due to the VERY UNSAFE/HAZARDOUS condition of the frame. Dealer has never seen anything like it. Contacted Toyota Customer Service with a reply of..."Sir, you have to take responsibility of your truck sooner or later."

Have you had any luck with the Toyota Higher Ups? If so what procedure (phone call(s), written letter(s),..) was used?

Thanks

OT
    apollo_109@yahoo.com
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Just bot a 99 V6 and need to decide whether to buy a ball for the bumper or go with a Class III.

Question 1:
    It looks like a one inch diameter shaft opening, and it looks like I will need at least 2 1/2 inches of shaft length to screw on the nut.

Is this what most of you have bought, 1" x 2 1/2" ?

Question 2:
    What did the original tow package include?

thx,
    Gringo1
  • stone45stone45 Member Posts: 2
    Had almost exact same problem with 98 Tacoma; contacted Toyota Canada; they said they would check things and get back to me; they didn't; had to call for an answer which was .."there was nothing we can do"; went back to the dealer with this info (and where we had purchased the truck); we came up with a reasonable trade in offer;decided to cut my loses and traded.......bottom line-- the "higher ups will do nothing and weren't very supportive.

stone45
  • stingray3stingray3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Tacoma .. just discovered BOTH frames are rusted all the way thru .. any luck on your end ?
  • xmk23xxmk23x Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 tacoma with 149k, used from the want advertiser. i took it to the auto body shop to get undercoated and when they put it up on the lift,it almost broke in half. both frame rails rotted through really bad. the frame buckled on the lift. I'm totaly screwed out of 5000$. Any suggestions? small claims court?
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 99 Tacoma 4x4 that I just bought. I noticed while installing a set of SuperSprings, that the frame had some serious rust holes in it over the axle, and upon closer inspection by a long time Tacoma owner, found numerous steel plates welded to the frame to beef it up. It is one ugly mess under all that rustproofing. I filed a safety complaint with the NHTSA. You can look it up on their web site. It is OSI Number (complaint #) 10177454. You can file your own complaint with the NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    and I encourage everyone with rusted frame issues to do so in order to gain enough attention to warrant a safety investigation. Maybe we can get justice through the back door since Toyota seems uninterested in doing anything about it themselves. I am going on other Toyota Owner web sites to make the same request.
  • chagasichagasi Member Posts: 7
    I know this has been addressed, but what is the consensus. I have a 2000 prerunner, 4-cyl, 95Kmiles and when the weather is slightly cold, the engine knocks for a minute or two? Dealer says they can't find it and everything computers OK. I have added some STP-fuel stuff once in awhile and it seems to help for a bit. Any new thoughts on this?
  • 2004taco2004taco Member Posts: 2
    Back in the 80's my grandfather bought a new Toyota truck and the frame rusted all the way thru like this also.

The problem with Toyota's back then was the simple fact that Japan has no natural iron/steel resources and has to import steel to manufacture their products. The explanation back then was that Japanese auto makers basically [chose to] take recycled steel (from crushed autos and such) from the U.S. and other countries to obtain the necessary metal. The problem with using recycled (crushed autos and such) is that the process if far from perfect and a percentage of rust remains in the metal (steel) that is melted down and reformed into "new" frames, parts, etc...

It's plausible that Toyota products still suffer from this as even the products "manufactured" outside of Japan are really only assembled in other countries from parts sent over from Japan (which again, has no natural iron/steel).

I revisited this forum because of a problem with tire wear, but these rust posts reminded me of when I bought my 2004 taco. A few weeks after I purchased it I showed the Toyota service manager what I thought was excessive rust on the springs under the truck that supports the reer wheels and was told "that is normal." I know such springs rust easily, but they should have not been showing such rust so early on from purchase. IMHO the parts were rusted when the truck was assembled.
  • nzcar8nzcar8 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2004 4X4 Tacoma 2.7 automatic w/Air.
    I WANT BETTER MILEAGE!!
    Please help with u'r input. so far I herd of synthetic oil & better air filter. Now what else can I do.
    It gets 20 MPG
    i have a 1999 version of your vehicle. I get the same mileage. It gets worse if you switch the transmission to the mode which makes it shift at higher RPM points.(17 MPG) It gets really worse if you drive at 75MPH on the freeway! (15 MPG) Ain't nothin' you can do. I too did the AMSOIL synlubes everywhere-engine, F&R diffs, XFR case, auto tranny. Only the air filter is stock. Bummer. 4x4 is nice though.
    TEMiller
  • berdman21berdman21 Member Posts: 8
    I also have a 1999 Toyota XtraCab pickup with the rusted frame problem. I purchased the truck in 9/2000 with 10,000 miles on it. It has been well taken care of and the body is in great shape. I went to the Toyota Dealer where it was purchased and the Body Shop Manager told me he has not seen anything like this before. He suggested that I call Toyota customer care so I did. They said that they would like to send a representative out to look at the frame.

I also made a report to the NHTSA on their website. Hopefully if enough people report this, toyota will take action.
    UPDATE: Toyota will do nothing, and says that it is not their problem. Lovely, now what?
    File with the NHTSA per my previous email. Include the above at the end of your safety related complaint.
    Complaint has been filed...
  • rstytacoframerstytacoframe Member Posts: 3
    Toyota agreed to replace my frame for free, then after having the truck for over a month told me that there are no frames available and that I should pick up my truck. I have also filed a complaint with the NHTSA.
    That is really bizarre. First they agree, then they changed their minds? Poor excuse if you ask me. I am sure there are frames available. They just decided it wasn't worth $6000 in time and materials to do it IMHO. I'm glad you filed with NHTSA. The more the better.
    I didn't believe that there weren't any frames availabe but I called around myself and was told that they were dicontinued. I tried pretty hard to find one because they said if I found one they would do the job, but I've had no luck.
  • jazzbeaujazzbeau Member Posts: 10
    Dang!! I have a 2K Tacoma 4wd reg. cab.. I live in an Alpine area with a lot of snow. With all this talk about rusted frame rails, springs, etc.. I'm going to go and check my frame now.. I'll reply back with my answer.
    Jazzbeau!
  • dasman12dasman12 Member Posts: 11
    My 98 Taco with a V-6 briefly knocked, even when it was less than 100k mileage, when cold started in low temps.

Switched to Castrol Syntec, 100% synthetic oil, and that knocked the sound out a lot.

In 06, I switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic oil, and that COMPLETELY silenced the cold start grumbles. Amsoil invented synthetic oil. Changing from Syntec to Amsoil, was as noticable as changing from dino-juice oil to Syntec.

If you are using regular oil, and you switch to Syntec, you will likely notice a difference right away. Amsoil is pricey, but as long as you haven't let your engine get sludged out, you can easily run it 10,000 miles per change, so long as you are using an Amsoil oil filter. Yes, it, and the filter, are that good. A good many longtime Amsoil users, just change the filter after 10,000 miles, and change the oil when it's approaching 20,000.

Please, before anyone decides to flame me, check the facts. Been workin on motors for 30+ years, and know the benefits of clean oil, in making a mill run for 200,000 mles. Clean oil, and regular maintenance, and 60 second (ideally 2 mins) warm-ups will garner 200k from damn near any motor.

When I did my first Amsoil change, I didn't expect it to be noticable, since I was already running 100% synthetic. I was wrong. With 150k+ on it, this motor started up and ran quiter than it did when I bought the vehicle at 58k. The first 0ºF morning I started it up, there was ABSOLUTELY NO TICKS OR CHATTER. No, I am not a distributor. (Not yet anyway.)

FYI, keep in mind, that a documented running of any oil over 7,500 miles may void your warranty. I tried synthetic shortly after I turned over 100k.
    You do not have to wait until your warranty is expired to switch to a synthetic oil like AMSOIL. The oil manufacturer is responsible for oil drain intervals, NOT THE AUTO MANUFACTURER! The auto maker only gives you recommended oil change intervals based on the kind of oil that is generally available to use. I run my Tacoma 35,000 miles or one year between changes on 0W-30 AMSOIL. The AMSOIL EA0 filter gets changed at 6 months or 17,500 miles, whichever comes first. I have been doing this with all my vehicles since 1985. I usually get between 250-300K miles on them before I replace them. All of them VW's except my Tacoma. (VW doesn't make trucks.) My 84 Honda V65 Magna uses their motorcycle oil too. I also use their 15W-40 marine oil in my lawn mower (25 years old!)and lawn tractor (12 years old) along with their 100:1 2 cycle oil in my 1960 Johnson Seahorse outboard, Ryobi string trimmer (10 years old), and Poulan Wild Thing chain saw (7 years old). By the way, I put the 75W-90 Extreme Gear lube in the front & rear diff's., and transfer case and ATF in the transmission on my truck and it had no problem taking off in sub zero weather with 4 wheel drive activated and hubs locked. Nothing else compares.
  • dasman12dasman12 Member Posts: 11
    Holy Smokes dude. Now there's some proof in the pudding.

I could tell by the way it performed, that Amsoil was the best I'd ever used, but your post is the best testimonial to Amsoil I've read.

I'm curious, where do you buy your Amsoil stuff..... from the company?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    By chance do you have the sales literature for you 99?

Here is a statement out of the literature for a 95-1/2 Tacoma:

"IT'S ALL IN THE ENGINEERING behind the metal. Tacoma's tough anti-corrosive steel frame resists rusting"

I need to look at my 95-1/2 Tacoma to see how bad the frame looks. I live in WI, so we use alot of salt here on the roads. I did have the truck rust-proofed when I first bought it, but I don't know if they really coated the frame or not.

Mrbill
  • jazzbeaujazzbeau Member Posts: 10
    The frame under my truck is solid and fully in tact! I'm happy :) to report this info and feel bad for those unfortunate to have rusted frames. I believe Toyota should look into this..why is it only Toyota frames going bad? Or, are there other companies frame's rusting out as well?? :confuse:
    I looked at the literature from when I bought the truck and it doesn't say anything about anti-corrosion. From what I have been seeing it looks like most of the problems are with 99's. I took the truck to a frame repair shop to ask an opinion on if it is worth repairing or not. The man told me it will be a lot of work and it will rust again. He recommended getting rid of it. Told me he had a tacoma in a few months ago that he put up on the lift and had it break in half. I really don't know what to do now, the truck only has 75,000 miles and otherwise is in immaculate condition.
  • torqued2torqued2 Member Posts: 1
    I too am experiencing the same problem. Two weeks ago I noticed that the rear cab/body mounts had totally colapsed. The rear of the cab now sits on the frame. Last week it was off to the Dealer that I purchased it from and have it checked out. First, two techs did the "lump hammer" sounding test, and then a gaggle of techs had a conference under the truck. Not good!

What they put in writing for me;

"No warranty applicable at this time, inspected vehicle, severe rust on frame, will notify Toyota DSM as per Jeff N. Service Director.VEHICLE IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE!"

Great!

There is 89,700 miles on this truck. Original exhaust, brake cables, etc. and they have outlasted the frame. Go figure.

I'm still waiting for a District Sales Manager to call.
    When I have any info in regards to satisfaction, I'll post back.
    I sorry but there is something I can do and I did it !!!
    Traded it back for exactly whaT i PAID FOR !!!!
    AND GOT A HONDA !!!! MY OTHER CAR IS A 2007 F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.0 DIESLE SO DEAL OR NO DEAL ???? NO DEAL!!!!
  • janice96janice96 Member Posts: 19
    My husband is looking at a 04 Tacoma with 4 cyl. and 5 sp. Transmision. Will he get better milage with the 5 speed than Auto transmission? He currently has a 99 Taco 6cyl. It has well over 120,000 miles on it.He is wanting something that gets as good or better millage than his 99.
  • young1aspiringyoung1aspiring Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tacoma and that beeping when it is locked and unlocked is starting to get to me. Is there any way that one can shut that off, without taking out the entire alarm system? If you know, do tell please. Thanks
  • jdm5jdm5 Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2003 Tacoma, around 36K miles. When I turn, the tires squeal pretty badly. They are not worn out...so wonder if it's just the tire. Any ideas? also, when braking going 45+, the truck starts to shake. This has just started happening. Any idea on the cause? Fluids need to be changed? Thanks.
    Hey 04 Tacoma

Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and look it up. There very close, if not rite on the $. I got rid of mine thought I miss it was a great little truck, the gas milage is just no good for me I travel 147 mile round trip each day. I rather drive a vette my 87 rag top gets 24 MPG on the Hiway !
  • slee5slee5 Member Posts: 6
    Try this to improve the gas mileage on your Tocoma.
    1) change your shock absorbers, OEM shock is always under rated( std bilstein shock) with Tocoma pre-runner V-6 TRD. I can feel the car is wobbling and bouncing when it was brand new ( by the way dealer changed one shock for me during warranty period). After I changed all the shocks, the gas mileage improved from 17.5 gpm to 19.5 gpm. Still not as good as the print on the sticker (print 19 to 23 gpm), but, It improve 8.9%.
    2) I also purchase MAF cleaner (CRC brand) clean the MAF sensor to smooth out the rough idling.
  • chagasichagasi Member Posts: 7
    Squeaking tires on turning isn't usually a big deal. Most tires have so little actual rubber in them that this is pretty common. I am making the assumption that you are referring to squealing like noises as if you were going around a curve in a video game too fast.
    As for the shaking, brakes, almost always brakes. With that many miles on a truck, it could be simply the pads, but more likely your rotors need to be turned. There have been a couple of reports of tie rods and steering racks going off in (1999-2001) Tacos, which are not cheap to replace and tend to take rotors, pads and occasionally calipers with them. You need to get it looked at in case you are not just dealing with warped rotors IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.