Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• b10751b10751 Member Posts: 14
    First time poster here, but i've been following the group for a while. I just purchased a 2003 double cab prerunner, with trd and limited package. I've owned several toyotas in the past and i'm happy (so far) to be back in one. Thanks to all for posting their own experiences with their tacoma. I will be sharing mine in the future.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Yeah, I think I've read same rants from Chevy owners. Why don't you try to apply the lemon law b/c obviously you got one there. I've had a 2002 Tacoma for maybe 13 months now, 22K miles, offroaded it, and I'm yet to find a problem with it. Yeah, I tore a CV boot offroading, but it was replaced under warranty.
    Once again, quit complaining and talk to a lawyer about lemon law.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I remember reading somewhere that there's a way to get a mid adjustment on the stock toyota headunits that don't have it at first. Does anybody know of the buttons to push or what to do in order to get the mid? Thanks.
    I just bought a tacoma and am not thrilled with the stock unit. I remember seeing in the Highlander topic about how to adjust the mid range. I have not tried this yet, but I will..The text of that message was:

When the stereo is on, press and hold (~10 seconds) the tuning button (the one on right) until you hear beep tone. Then let go and step through the adjustment for bass, and now a new option "mid" and make adjustment to the desired level. It helps a little but not a lot. Be sure to turn the stereo off prior to turning off the ignition. Otheriwse it will be lost.

I'm going to try it when i leave the office today and will let you know if it worked for me. Good luck!
    The procedure described in message 58 works...It only helps the sounds marginally, though.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    3,000 miles now on my new Tacoma. I'm very happy with it. No problems at all. It was more expensive than it's competitors but is certainly worth the money.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Is it just me, or do ALL trucks these days seem to get much worse mileage than they did say 10 years ago?
    More HP, more weight, larger size, V6 and V8 instead of 4 Cyl. Yes, a lot of compact trucks get worse mileage. Some of the full size are getting better mileage though.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    My Taco Xtra-Cab V6 5spd. man. just came in Friday.
    Won't get take possession until Tuesday as they are installing a sunroof. I did get to drive it. What a difference from the 22RE to the V6! I am glad I bought it. The interest just dropped to 4.75% and since most of the kinks are ironed out of the Taco from 95 - 2003, I hope it is as iron-clad as my 94 was.
    Congratulations on the new truck. What type of sunroof are you having installed? I have the factory sunroof on my Tacoma.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Moparbad,
    I had Classic Cars install an electric sunroof. The thing cost $650, but it is professionally installed. They use the headliner in creating the sliding cover that hides the sunroof. Very nice job. I got the idea for the electric sunroof from a comment made in this discussion board to that effect. The temp is 68 degrees outside and the sun is blazing today....my brand new truck is sitting in a parking space as I have to work. Boy, am I pouting!

B
    that Taurus was a great vehicle because it was a "bestseller".
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/13/pf/autos/bc.autos.ford.toyota.reu- t/index.htm
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    thats all I can say.
  • yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    I kid you not!

Yesterday in the intersection across the street from my house, a Ford Ranger got a front left flat tire, spun out, which caused the rear left wheel to rip off the axle. No one was hurt, except Ford driver's pride. I tried to get a picture but traffic was stopped for 1 1/2 hours all around the accident. What a inconsiderate Ford owner.

All I could think about were the endless Ford vs. Toyota discussions posted.

I guess that is what they meant by "Built Ford Tough!"

Yosmany
    Orlando, Fl
    2002 Tacoma PreRunner V6 TRD S/C
  • steve_onsteve_on Member Posts: 70
    Anyone with a V6, Crew cab Pre-runner care to comment on what real world mileage they are seeing?

I drive about 20K miles a year and with gas prices being what they are would like to know what real world mileage is like.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    yeah, for starters i find it quite interesting that you still talk about me. quite flattering my man. it just shows you need a life.
    second off, i was just wondering what the numbers 16.5 and 12.5 mean to you, because that is how much the tacoma and tundra are down in percentage of sales compared to a year ago this time.
    Ranger sales otoh, are up 15.9% so far this year.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

i knew the new Level II FX4 pkg. was the coolest and most capable compact truck being produced by any manufacturer, but to boost sales that much even surprises me. LMAO
    you know it's getting bad for toyota when they stoop to nissan's level and start offering cash back allowances. yeah, domestics do this all the time and everyone knows it's normal for them. but tonight i saw a commercial from toyota offering cash back on tacoma and 0% on crapundra. i guess people are finally seeing the light regarding the underpowered and underbuilt tacomas. what a riot.

regarding the taurus, link wouldn't work for me- but ill say this; the taurus and sable always have and always will outsell camry, not to mention they offer much more powerful mills and tons more options. not to mention the taurus is the safest car in it's class. you looking at a camry now? oh wait, you have pretty close to one already now don't you? rolling................
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've taken down the last couple of posts. No need to get involved with this nonsense. Stick to the trucks please.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    What is up with removing my post Pat? I was just asking a question!

Sheesh!
    sales of tacoma were down 16.5 percent in january. that's pretty sad for any toyota. ranger sales however, were up 15.9 percent, and nearly doubled the units sold in the toyota camp. and toyota is even offering cash back now like ford. any comments? LMTO
    Don't get too ahead of yourself, it had nothing to do with you. Btw, what are you doing checking the Tacoma board now?

Sales: If they are offering 0%, good for them. The big 3 have been doing this for 2 years now, and are getting hurt by it. Who knows why Toyota is jumping on that bandwagon, but Tundra and 4Runner has had 0% for a while now. 4Runner I can understand, they are still trying to sell off old 2002 models and getting people to buy new 2003 one. Tundra..well, it's understandable why people don't really want to buy it yet. It'll be interesting to see what'll happen when new plant in San Ant opens.

FX2...blah blah blah. You're biased, what else is there to say. I don't need a truck with a snorkel from a factory. If I do, I'll buy one and put it on myself (because who knows, maybe snorkel manufacturer has made a bad run of snorkels.....it's never Fords' fault)
  • thehitcherthehitcher Member Posts: 56
    I was surprise to see that skid plates are now optional with the 4x4 here at Edmunds. Anyway I have a 99 Taco extended cab 4x4 and it has been very reliable if not boring. One bad trait is the ride can be bone jarring at times.
    Its gets tired after a while to see the friction between those that rant Ford or Toyota products. Both the Ranger and the Taco have their bad points.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Since you're so obsessed with sales figures and their importance (at least in your mind), please explain this to me: The Mazda B series is one of the worst-selling compact pickups, and it is identical to a Ford Ranger.

What does that mean to you? The Ranger being identical to one of the worst selling pickups around? Ouch, I bet that hurt!

So the Level II FX4 Ranger is the coolest, most capable truck by any manufacturer? Well maybe in your world it is, a world in which an MP3 player is more important than a locker in an off-road specific truck, LOL.

I guess in your world the Taurus outsells the Camry too, huh? You might want to double check your research on that one.

Toyota's #1, and when you're #1, somebody's always trying to challenge you. You're an eloquent example, that's for sure!
    watch out, you may explode.
    you may want to check your sales figures. what does #1 mean to you? does it mean taking a severe dive in sales? probably since everything in life is backwards to you. you need to check pickuptruck.com and see the sales figures. toyota is anything but #1 my man- they're actually on their way down in sales.
    and your argument concerning the mazda truck is totally bogus and quite entertaining at the same time. the mazda truck isn't built for sales numbers, it's built so that mazda can offer a truck. they sell every one they get from ford, just like you brag about the tacoma doing (now with sales incentives like ford). but the tacoma is the meat and potatoes of toyota's truck line. the B4000 on the other hand is built just so mazda can have a truck on their lot. they could care less how many they sell. i think that has to be an all time low for you. when you start bashing mazda's sales numbers just because the ford ranger is surging in sales, that's pretty pathetic. and you know it.
    camry, in no way outsells the taurus/sable line. never has, never will.
    get a grip and get some facts. as usual, you look like a bumbling typist with toyota written all over his forehead and nothing but dreams in his head.

sc0rp- you're the one talking about me. you should know i would've found out. shame on you.
  • krunkykrunky Member Posts: 21
    Just reading up on your discussion here guys. Maybe someone could find out for sure, but aren't Toyota pick-ups selling better in every other country outside the US? It seems like they have a real presence in countries that don't have a national highway system or surplus income.
    I think that the Ford trucks have always sold the best because of styling. They have managed to keep up with the times, but have never taken any risks. Not surprisingly, the new F-150 looks like the current model. The Silverado has also had a real simple look unitl recently, and it has sold almost as well as the F-150. With Chevy taking styling risks on its new truck and Ford keeping it the same, Ford should leave Chevy in the dust. It looks like a real oppertunity for the Tundra, that happens to look alot like the Ford.
    Just my two cents. (BTW if everything goes to plan, I'll be picking up a '01 Tacoma Double Cab this afternoon!)
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Real quick, here: Which of these cars would you own first, and in what order? I would do this:

1)Camry (not my favorite, but well built and reliable!)
    2)Taurus (just because I HAVE to pick a 2nd!)
    3)Sable (do I really have to pick this car??)

Obi
    I'd pick Camry b/c it's Toyota and I've seen websites like "Ford Taurus Haters" on the net a few times. Sable is a dying breed.
    Why don't we make this real simple - instead of posting nothing but your biased opinions, why don't you simply provide us with links showing:

1. The Ranger outperforms the Tacoma in comparos
    2. The Ranger has a better record for quality
    3. The Ranger had a better record for reliability
    4. The Ranger has a higher resale value
    5. The Ranger has a higher customer satisfaction rating
    6. The Ranger has had fewer TSBs

We've shown time and time again that, in regards to these measures, the Tacoma wins hands-down. All you've done is criticize our sources and come to wild conclusions about which truck is better due to monthly sales figures.

So you see, your argument is pretty weak without something to back you up.

I'll be waiting for those links, bud....oh, and please spare us tales of how tough Rangers are because you've personally jumped them but then later personally denied abusing your truck when you tried to sell it on Ebay. Stuff like that kind of hurts your credibility, you know.
    Don't stard this again. You know tbunder will keep clinging to his lifeline of "Ranger outsells Tacoma" and the "It has bigger engine than yours does".
    We've been up and down this road before, and you know where all that led. We don't want this topic closed. How's ol' Mexico nowdays?
    We HAVE been down this road before, so let's just steer clear of the potholes BEFORE we hit them again...

PF Flyer
    Host
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    http://www.kxtv10.com/storyfull.asp?id=3799

This guy walked away with just a cut on his tongue.
    It's just that this guy pops into Tacoma threads and his statements just beg for a rebuttal. I just don't see the logic in sales numbers telling the whole story in regards to which truck is better. I could tell you why the Camry is a better car than the Taurus, or why the Corolla is better than the Focus. But I wouldn't base my entire argument on the Camry and Corolla being best-sellers. There's got to be more to it than just that, and that's where tbundy's argument simply collapses.

How's Mexico these days? Well, that all depends on where you're at. I try to avoid north Mexico/South Texas like the plague, to be honest with you. Seems that area has a way of attracting the worst of everything from both sides.
    Don't all '03 Ford Rangers come with tongue protectors? Just kidding.
  • lpaplpap Member Posts: 9
    I live in Southern Ca. and was told that I couldn't buy a regular cab 4WD Tacoma b/c of emission problems on that model. Does anyone know anything about this? AND where can I buy one...No.Cal, AZ? I'm willing to drive to get the one I want. I've had this truck for 12 yrs and have had the extra cab in the past. I definitely do not want that again. Thanks.
  • stuedantstuedant Member Posts: 2
    I think american named trucks will outsell foreign named trucks for a good 10 more years, in the U.S. It would be curious to find out the world wide sales numbers for the tacoma and the ranger.

If anybody knows please direct us to where this info is or post it.
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    I'm afraid the safety rap on Tacoma is true, but I knew before I bought mine (03). In side crash tests it performed poorly. On the other hand, as much work as I put into keeping this red bas-ard clean, I don't want to live to see it bent. So if you t-bone me, do a good job.
    of makes me wonder why one would buy one then. i looked at the DC when i bought my liberty but was scared off by it's overall safety ratings. the doors and metal are so skinny it's scary. the liberty is extremely safe and is like a sherman tank compared to DC tacomas i have seen. i hope they raise the bar in safety in the new tacomas. that's really their main downfall. nonetheless they are nice looking trucks. and to some, that's all they care about. the engine is also getting old and is on the low side of power for todays V6's.
    Go preach for Ford/DC somewhere else. V6 has been strong enough for 8 years, did you seriously expect that there wouldn't be an engine right now that'd be stronger than 3.4L? How do you like the new 4Runner engine, though....same 4.0L as Ford, but look at the difference in hp/tq.
    "nonetheless they are nice looking trucks. and to some, that's all they care about. "

Kinda like the new Rams with 20" rims on a 4x4 truck. Jees. I do like the new Ram 2500s (gotta the increasingly rare SFA) and the Ram 1500 OR packaged trucks, so don't think I am totally Chrysler bashing, here.
    you are very naive.
    the 4.0 in the ford and the 4.0 in the toyota are not anything alike. i thought you knew that. totally different designs.
    and the safety of the tacoma speaks for itself. it is unsafe, even one of your comrades who owns one admits it. did you see the pic one posted on here? it squashed like an eggshell. that's pretty sad when the frame buckles at both ends all the way to the cab.
    you preach and preach about the new 4.0 in the forerunner, where's the new tacoma with this 4.0? if it looks anything like the new plastic coated forerunner, i won't even consider one.
    Oh, so that's the excuse for Toyota new engine having more power? Different designs?
    I wonder why didn't Ford come up with a better design then, since Toyota now has a V6 with 245@5200 and 283@3200 and gets the same gas milage, according to the sticker. And Ranger has the 207@5250 and 238@3000.
    Sounds rather inefficient of Ford to pass up on a good opportunity to extract a lot more out of an engine, don't you think?
    Safety: A truck got sandwiched between 2 18-wheelers. What exactly do you have against the fact that driver walked away unharmed? That is the purpose of all the safety measures in a vehicle: to make sure that driver does not get hurt. Not to make sure that vehicle itself comes out of an accident without a scratch, but to make sure driver is unhurt.
    If you think that Tacoma is unsafe based on that picture, I'll post a picture of a Ford 350 (I think it was a 350, one of the Ford fullsize trucks) that got runover by an earth-mover truck, and say that Ford is unsafe, b/c it looks like a pancake now.
    We'll know more when new Tacoma comes out. So far it's just rumors. Reason why I'm using new 4.0L as an example is simply b/c you keep on saying that Toyota engine is weak. It is not even weak by todays' standards, a good average engine. It did its' job for 8 years, and the replacement is coming.
    scorp- as usual, you fail to accept the truth. always hiding in the bushes and pushing the spotlight onto something else. doesn't it get old? it's actually hilarious to see you toyota owners doing that, constantly defending your pieces. im glad i never have to do that.

as far as your little analogy, you say what you will or make up. but getting run over by an earth mover and getting rear-ended by a semi that was on the brakes are two different things. the frame still buckled like an aluminum can. the driver may have walked away unharmed, but to what extent would that have happened? had the semi's been traveling one more mph, he may be dead. by the looks of that truck, i bet he's through with toyota products that are made of very weak metal. like i've said for over a year now, just take a new ranger and a new tacoma and measure frame thickness. and then tell me which one you'd rather be in when sandwiched between two semi's. i know you won't do that because then you'd have to deal with knowing your tacoma's frame is thinner than a ranger's. and you just couldn't accept that. you have a hard enough time accepting the fact that the ranger has more power than tacoma- and has always had more torque than tacoma, which in your mind, is what's most important in a truck. heck, even my little jeep outpowers your "average" 3.4. in your mind, that must be pathetic.
    oh but wait, then there's pluto's theory that it is so heavy. it's too bad pluto doesn't research his statements thoroughly. his quote of weight for liberty is not accurate. the limited outweighs sports by as much as 300 lbs. but he won't see this because then his theory wouldn't hold true.
    We both keep on defending the same little pieces and turning a blind eye to something that's bad for our trucks, live with it.
    That truck did not get "rearended by a semi that was on brakes". It got rearended by a semi and then driven into another semi infront of it, totally different situation. But I suppose, since it fits your theory, it can be disregarded.

Power: We've been down that road before. You finally now have something to celebrate, congratulations. It's been 8 years since the release of 3.4L, and competition has now caught up. Congratulations once again. As far as the Jeep thing goes: you got a new model that was just released couple of years ago, and you're bashing Tacoma that Jeep "overpowers" it? What planet do you live on? Of course Jeep overpowers Tacoma. I wouldn't expect it any other way, for a new vehicle to be released in this crazy "bigger SUV, bigger engine" market, and not to have the latest engine.
    Weight: so we are even now, since Ranger does not outweight Tacoma by 600 lbs b/c Tacoma is made of tin. Remember that? Don't you have another lipstick holder to go buy so you can "mod" your Jeep? This is a Tacoma board, thank you for reading it.
    on Liberties for safety measures at one point. I can think of no such recall on tacomas.

Just some food for thought.
    It's because there's a big conspiracy to hide recalls on Toyota.
    Either that, or "At least DC is acknowledging that there is a problem, unlike Toyota and sludged engines". Pick your answer, tbunder will reply with one of these.
    scorp- i wear lipgloss, not lipstick. ranger has always had more torque than tacoma- period. as far as mods go, the new coil spring/shock lift is due out at the end of this month. this is a real lift, and not a spacer lift. $900. provides room for up to 32" tires. i prefer 245/75-16's, which are essentially 31x10.50's.

sad- i like you, as i like scorp. and i hate to say it, but i think you made that one up. if there is proof to your statement, furnish it because i have read nothing but praise regarding the liberty as a whole, but especially it's safety structure and performance.
    What exactly is a "real lift"? Is spacer lift not "real"? How about a brand new coils? Is that not real? Is diff drop lift like TM or Rancho not real enough?
    You seem to be under impression that Tacomas only got a spacer lift made for them. Welcome to the reality.
    no, i am not under any impression as far as lift kits for tacomas. i meant that all lifts for liberty's so far have been just spacers, and now there is going to be some real suspension travel available.
    Let's face it, Rangers are for dorks. Tacomas are a much cooler truck. A Ranger is a fine ride for girl in high school, but that's about it.

If horsepower and torque were the only factors involved, then a V6 Aztek would easily be cooler than, say a 3.0L V6 Ranger. And if you want to talk about safety, don't even buy a truck or SUV. Get a Volvo instead. Trucks are all about being cool and Toyota's will always be cooler. I think its a proven fact that women find Tacoma drivers sexier, and that's all that matters.

And Libertys have to be the dorkiest Jeep yet. Mainly because for the first time, they are kinda practical. How lame is that. You should have gotten a Wrangler man. Chicks dig that.
    oh yeah, at you krunky.
    your post has to be the 'dorkiest' one i've ever read. what are you, ten years old? you probably drive a tracker. ROTF
    did i just waste my time responding to your post?
    Let's drop this NOW before it gets out of control.

PF Flyer
    Host
This discussion has been closed.