Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    marybarrowmarybarrow Member Posts: 3
    While driving home from a short trip, my car lost power, downshifted by itself, and then everything stopped. It was towed to a local dealer where they discovered that the mail computer had failed. After putting in a new computer, they found that the fuel pump was low. This is all happening in a a year old car. What could be next???
  • Options
    siobhansiobhan Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I was told by a mechanic that the corrosion on the wheels is because the brake pads have metal in them, and the metal dust formed when braking lands on the wheels and causes corrosion.
  • Options
    ptjay5158ptjay5158 Member Posts: 1
    This weekend I am replacing the radiator on a 2001 pt cruiser. Does anybody have any advice
  • Options
    tdullaghantdullaghan Member Posts: 3
    Cooling fan failed on our 2001 pt at 50K miles. Dealer wanted $600 to replace. I found oem parts on internet and did the job myself. Part costed less than $160 delivered. Only basic tools are needed. I used Haynes manual for procedures. Good luck. Total time to do job was less than 4 hours. Would be much faster next time now that I know how to do it.
  • Options
    tdullaghantdullaghan Member Posts: 3
    I saw your radio problem posted on Edmunds. I am having the same problem after a battery change. The radio has already been replaced twice under warranty. Were you able to solve your problem without replacing the radio?
  • Options
    dragnchikdragnchik Member Posts: 2
    This is probably too late considering the date on your message however it may help some one else. I noticed a strong mold smell myself on my pt cruiser. Finally took it to the dealer who said the seal in the driver's side door had been broken and mold had grown inside. They replaced the seal and cleaned inside the door and no more mold smell! Hope this helps some one.
  • Options
    dragnchikdragnchik Member Posts: 2
    My in-laws have a pt cruiser [limited edition I think but not sure on model] that has recently been having a problem with the alarm system [I know because it wakes me up at night!]. I think it only happens in the early a.m. Doesn't happen every night either. It just starts going off on it's own. This morning I noticed that they got the horn to stop but the lights are still flickering as if it's still going. Does any one have any suggestions? Only thing I noticed in the forum was on a different problem with a list of recalls there is a recall for 2001 models "08-012-03 APR 03 Alarm System - Inadverten Siren Activation" but couldn't find any info on it on-line. :confuse:
  • Options
    fcazalasfcazalas Member Posts: 3
    This is one of several problems I have had with my 2004 PT. There is a recall notice for spark plug wires and a computer update that needs to be performed to correct the problem. I did have to go to a dealer other than the one where I purchased the car to get it fixed, though. The dealer I purchased from tried telling me that all 4 cylinder cars idle rough and that I could turn the a/c off to help with the problem (I live in Florida!). After calling Auburn Hills, I was referred to a different dealer who performed the recalls and the idle has been fine since.
  • Options
    green_eyesgreen_eyes Member Posts: 1
    I bought this pt crusier new 3 months ago. I dont drive very much so my question is:

Should I have the routine servicing and oil change every 3 months?
    or
    every 3000 miles?

Right now after having this for 3 months I have just under 1,100 miles on it.

Thanks
  • Options
    fcazalasfcazalas Member Posts: 3
    I would love to discuss details of your window problem. I have been having a problem with my radio since I purchased my PT - and restarting the car always resolves the problem (until the car is turned off again, that is). Seems like there might be a common thread.
  • Options
    ptcartmanptcartman Member Posts: 1
    This thread is like a breath of fresh air. So I'm not imagining things.
    I have had my '03 Turbo GT at the dealer for a total of 4 weeks this year for this exact problem: idles rough or dies at stop. Because the computer isn't reporting anything wrong (i.e. no error codes reported even on the dealer installed "co-pilot" logging device) the dealer can't diagnose the problem. They have seen the problem; have had the car die while they are driving it (they have put over 500 miles on it in their possession this year), but they can not diagnose the failure. Corporate is absolutely no help. The District Manager told me last week to, "come pick up your vehicle, we will not waste any more money on a rental for you." The car is still under warranty.
    I don't know what else to do. Any assistance or advice will be much appreciated. :cry: :mad:
  • Options
    tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    We have an '03 PT base model with 62,000 miles, am having to add coolant regularly. I suspect water pump. Anyone here have any installing or having installed a water pump?

We have been round and round with 'missing' power steering fluid, which (after about 40,000 miles of trying to find it), dealer finally states it is leaking from rack and pinion.
  • Options
    amoleamole Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2002 Touring ith 53k on it, and recently on a road trip was given a 0301 error code-sometimes it bucks a little leading out of a dead stop (especially hen the AC is on), and recently it popped when i had to gun it in traffic. i plan to get the plugs and wires replaced, but my question is does anyone know if i can ride a little longer this way? i have to go on an important small road trip and won't have a chance to take care of it until i get back. it hasn't given me any reason to think it's gonna lose power, but i don't know enough about misfires to know if i can chance it.
  • Options
    kaymartinkaymartin Member Posts: 2
    I bought my silver PT 2001 in June of this year from the original owner with 48,000 mi. He bought a 2005 red one and the dealer wouldn't give him what he thought the 2001 was worth on trade-in, so he advertised (extensively) privately and I bought it. Things have happened since then:
    The "check engine" light went on soon after I got the car, but it went out.
    A week after I bought the car, after being parked in an outdoor lot, the car started, but all the electrical systems up the middle refused to work -- indoor lights, windows, radio, etc. The air bag light went on and did not go off. We were able to drive home, but it was kinda rough with no A/C in July! Next day, everything was fine -- as if nothing had happened. But new extra added attraction -- the check engine light was back and wouldn't leave.
    Took it to the mechanic and he put in on the computer -- no problem detected. He took it to the dealer for me to his "connection" there and I wound up with a rebuilt computer in my car at 10% the cost of the car! Didn't quelch the check engine light, which in November is still there. Since the computer found no fault in the car, I've continued to drive it.
    Sometimes the remote doesn't open the doors, but since the key always works, I didn't worry about it. However, yesterday the button on the door would not open or lock the doors, nor would the remote. Took the car to the mechanic today and the door buttons all work properly, as does the opening of the doors with the key in the lock. Remote not happening, though.
    Does anyone have any information on any of these problems? I've called owners of other 2001 PT LTD listed in the newspaper for sale, asking them for the truth since I've already purchased MY car.... and none of them have encountered the check engine problem.
    Thanks for your input.
    Best,
    Kay
  • Options
    deejay2099deejay2099 Member Posts: 36
    Hello all,
    I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently got a used 2004 PT Cruiser, however the owner did not have the keyless remotes. The dealer wants $45 for a remote and another $42 to program it. Can I buy one off of ebay (I see them for $15) and program it?
    Any info is greatly appreciated.

Dave
  • Options
    kaymartinkaymartin Member Posts: 2
    Dave,
    From what I read in the manual and the information I got from my mechanic, each PT Cruiser is an "individual," with unique "fingerprints." You MUST have the remote programmed by Chrysler for your particular car. Buying a remote which was programmed for another car for $15, then having the dealer program it for YOUR car for $42, saves you $30, less whatever shipping is involved in receiving the remote from eBay. Why bother?
    As I've discovered in the few months I've owned my PT Cruiser, Chrysler pretty much has their vehicles enslaved to their particular computers.... I'm really missing my 1986 Caravan, which had a mind of its own!
    Best,
    Kay
  • Options
    deejay2099deejay2099 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Kay, appreciate the info. Guess I am stuck with the insane dealer prices should I decide to get the remotes.
  • Options
    art17art17 Member Posts: 2
    Glad you asked that question I am wondering same thing bought my PT Nov of 2004 its a 2005 and have only 4900 miles on it and don't know if I should take in like you also ...was hoping someone would have answered your question.
  • Options
    art17art17 Member Posts: 2
    To be honest sidnee I also thought of buying a convertable but didnt and for one reason the insurance was so much higher for the convertable...and as far as blind spots well you will have them on any model you purchase somewhat but I am aware and have had no problem. but I must say I love my car !!!!! so good luck if you buy one I have had nothing but a great experince so far with mine NO PROBS!!!!
  • Options
    julie12julie12 Member Posts: 3
    My husband had the same problem with his 2001 PTC. He discovered that the chrome plating was chipping off the rims and cutting into the tires. He went out and got some nice brushed aluminum rims at an auto parts store.
  • Options
    Change your rims. The chrome plating is cutting into your tires.
  • Options
    Has anybody heard about any group litigation involving a PT Cruizer club and abnormal oil consumption?
  • Options
    jesussavesjesussaves Member Posts: 1
    I just put new tires on and they are still going flat. The chrome really isn't peeling anwhere visable. Would this still be the rims
  • Options
    kath4kath4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my pt cruiser in march, everything has been fine, the other day we were driving and the air bag light came on, the windows, the heater, A/C, and the rear demister wouldn't work. As we got a bit further the light went off and everything was working. We took it to the dealer and he said it could be looked at in the next couple of days, when we drove home it went out, the dealer cant check it unless the light is on. But since then it has come on a few times and then gone off, the dealer didn't seem too concerned I think they know about it and it is just a fault, or does anyone else have any answers?
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Go to your tire store and have them check for leaks. Make sure they use a device to hold the entire wheel and tire combination under water.

I've had one rim leak in 45 years. The leak was not near the edge, but was almost in the center of the rim. A new rim took care of the problem.

Some brands/models of tires seem to hold air better than others. I've had some (all four tires) that needed air every two or three weeks and others that seemed to go for months without needing any.

If the problem is not a rim, try using nitrogen instead of air in your tires. Nitrogen does not 'leak' out as fast because the molecules are larger. A side benefit is the tires tend to run cooler.
  • Options
    misteekmisteek Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser. I've noticed about 2 minutes after starting down the road the electric door locks, lock themselves." Would be interested in any feed back before I have to go to the mechanic. I recently moved and haven't found one I feel comfortable with. Thanks, Misteek
  • Options
    babesintoylandbabesintoyland Member Posts: 4
    Ahh so you want info, I have had lots of problems since i purchased it NEW!... The First week, I noticed that the back part of the window was missing, So i had them replace that it took about 3 weeks to order. The second time the back door froze. You could not open the door from the inside or the outside, aparently when i took mine in so did someone else. This took 6 weeks to get the part.and the door is still jacked. Next were the tires, Good year, it seperated, so it was replaced. Then at 20,000 it needed new brakes, then again at 40,000. all highway miles. Then 2 more good year tires separated, 41,000, and good year knew they had a problem and did not recall the tires but pulled them off the market. Then i needed new front bearings, Now at 51,000, I need a rack and pinion, struts,ball joint,the boots are also torn, and some other things the mechanic told me.. This car is costing me more then i thought.. I take good care OF it.. it gets the oil changed every month, gets the water cleaned every 6 months, I am scared that this car will not last me the lennght of the loan!... I would not buy one again.. Very Cheaply made.. and i have always tried to buy Chrysler, only one time in the last 30 years did I own something else. Now i am not so sure about them. if you have any questions please contact me.. THank you
  • Options
    Oh yeah and I forgot about the emergency brake breaking and had to get a new switch for that. some sensor.
  • Options
    I have a 2004 PT and my goodyear tires were causeing that and 3 of them seperated..
  • Options
    dwlingdwling Member Posts: 11
    My 2001 PT Cruiser Limited locks the doors automatically when the car reaches at around 15 km/h. This is normal. Many good European cars are made like this. I like this safety feature.

I had encountered a couple of electrical problems with the PT. In fact, my present PT is my second one. The first one had transmission problem on the first day. The dealer (very decent indeed) gave me another new PT as replacement. Another time, my PT's door locks would unexpectedly open and shut repeatedly while I was driving. The dealer changed something and there has been no more electrical problems.

I had bad experience with my original Goodyear (GY) tires. Even the tires were quite new, I felt my car was pulled to the right all the time. Chrysler dealer blamed it on the GY tires. GY agent blamed the dealer for not knowing how to balance the tires. After being thrown back and forth for a couple of times, I decided to change the tires to Michelin Energy MXV 4 plus. I am very satisfied with them.

Last summer I drove over 7500km (my speedometer is in km. 1 US mile = 1.6 km) from Vancouver (YVR) to LAX via the US Rockies (i.e. Yellowstone NP, Bryce and Zion NPs) and returned to YVR by highways 1 and 101. My PT performed very well. It was very steady and stable even at the speed between 70 and 100 mph. During the trip, I saw far more PTs on the highways than the luxury cars.

My only complaint now is the clicking noises of all the 4 windows. The Chrysler dealer had fixed them a few times and the noises have been reduced. The present position is that there are still some annoying clicking noises coming up from time to time, but somehow I could not duplicate them to the mechanics during the short drives.
  • Options
    rharmonrharmon Member Posts: 2
    I have a '04 PT that I bought new and at 900 miles the oil started leaking, I took it to the dealership and they replaced the oil sending unit. At 12800 miles the oil started leaking again so I took it back to the dealership and this time they replaced the head gaskets, cam shaft seals, and tightened some bolts. Has anyone else had these problems or did I just get a "LEMON"?
  • Options
    drums123drums123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Touring. At 500 miles I took a trip and noticed a bad vibration from 50 mph and up. This vibration is in the steering wheel and the seats. I also noticed a bad vibration when braking at high speeds coming from the rear. Being a mechanic at one time in my life, I tend to be more aware of the symptoms. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and told them the symptoms. After keeping the car for the day, the dealership claimed the tires were out of balance. I got the car back and it was the same. I then called and set up another appointment for a few weeks later due to a planned vacation. When I returned from my trip, teeth a little loose due to the vibration, I immediately took it in for repair. They kept the car for 3 days and replaced front brake rotors, did not fix !! At 3,000 miles I took it back, they replaced the rear brakes and drums and replaced tires, still no fix !!!! The dealership called a Rep from Chrysler to analyze and I rode in the passenger side to describe the problem, he recognized the vibration and ordered a left side axle to fix problem. They kept the car for 3 weeks to repair. after three weeks, they had replaced both axles and front hub bearings. this did not completely take all vibration out so they then gave me a set of factory GT 16 inch chrom alloy wheels and tires. I drove the car and it felt good when I got it back. I am now at 12,000 miles and the vibration is back to the same before all of this work. I am at the point to where I feel I need to file a Lemon law complaint. What do you think and if anyone else out there is having same problem, please advise the cours of action. This car has been in for the same problem 8 times in 6 months.
  • Options
    andybear957andybear957 Member Posts: 5
    Hey, I'm thinking about buying a new '05 PT Cruiser GT Convertible from a dealer here in Toronto. It's a vehicle which they have had on their lot since March of 2004, and it has only 290 km (about 100 miles) on it (supposedly from test drives). They are offering a great deal on it. It's silver with black top, automatic (shift stick) transmission, 2.4L Turbo engine, 6CD changer (awesome sound!). I test drove it and it drives great...interior quality leaves a LOT to be desired, VERY cheap looking, if you ask me. However it's a helluva lot of fun to drive and it's a real head-turner.
    My question: anyone here have an 05 GT Convertible, and if so, please give me all and any comments, good and bad, about the car, including problems, pleasures, are you happy with your purchase/lease, etc. etc. etc. I need to make a fast decision. Many thanks!
  • Options
    03whtpt03whtpt Member Posts: 3
    Which rims did you have the problems with? The reason I am asking is I am just about to pick up a set of older PT Limited rims.
  • Options
    britsoftbritsoft Member Posts: 7
    Didn't know they made the convertible in a GT. I have a 2005 Touring Edition bought January 3, 2005 with just under 10000 miles. Other than the fact that it has too much plastic in it, it is the best car I have had in years. I would recommend it to anyone but you have to make sure you do the service on it, I have noticed that it can not go more than 5000 on an oil change or the oil looks terrible. My Infiniti goes 20,000 between oil changes and has 200,000 miles on it with no repairs. The Cruiser just dirtys up the oil real bad. Also, make sure you check the tire air pressure every trip, for some reason the pressure drops just setting in the garage. Because the tires are low profile it is harder to tell if they are low. This may be why I keep reading about separating tires in the forums. You can see it at www.bobspt.info with all the additions. Just added a cargo trailer this week and will be putting pictures of it up next week. Some day I have to quit working on it...Bob
  • Options
    I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible with the OEM factory trailer wiring harness installed. All Chrysler stuff. I have a motorcycle trailer I pull behind it (you can see it at bobspt.info) and the lights on the trailer act just the way they should; tail and marker lights, right turn, left turn and brake lights. Everything flashes and lights like it should. I just bought a motorcycle cargo trailer (trailer designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle) to pull behind the PT which required that I wire the lights. The wiring is to a standard four wire plug; white ground, brown tail and marker, yellow left turn and brake, green right turn and brake. I checked the proper wiring with a 12 volt battery and the lights come on just right based on the plug assignments. However, when you plug the trailer into the PT's harness, the lights do not act normal. The tail and marker lights are fine. When you turn on the left or right turn signal, the brake light flashes on but when it goes off the marker light on the same side turns on (while the brake light is off) and then turns off when the brake light flashes on. This alternate flashing happens on both sides when that side is activated with the turn signal. Doesn't seem to bother anything and looks kinda neat but I have never had a trailer do that before. And I have wired a lot of trailers. Anyone know why this might happen and if there are any problems that might come up because of the weird flashing pattern? Thanks...Bob
  • Options
    This is a feature of the Cruiser and can be disabled if you don't want them to lock automatically. Check your owners manual and it will tell you have to disable this feature. I turned mine off because it is just unnecessary wear and tear on the locks and will result in pre-mature failure if you leave it on. The little motors have a limited life and that process just shortens it. ...Bob
  • Options
    nivloc1nivloc1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 01 PT Limited edition with 75.5K. About two weeks ago, my wife's remote key would not lock or unlock the doors. My first thought was a dead battery in the pad. When I tried mine, it was dead also. I kinda threw the dead battery theory out. Then two days later, they both worked. That lasted about four days before they both gave out again. Has anyone else experience this?? What's the remedy (if any)? Thanks,,,
  • Options
    This edmonds forum is basically useless, there is no one here and no one interested in any of the information posted. Why do you people waste the server space for this thing? Oh, looks like GM pays most of your bills, now I see why it is useless, it must be owned by GM which is also useless.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's another PT topic you might enjoy more:

Another PT Cruiser Topic
  • Options
    baby1baby1 Member Posts: 1
    i would like to know why my brakes make so much noise i had them work on so many times they tell me it must be dirt and water in them i would like to know what to do i think it is a factor default more than me are having this problem with our brakes my brakes sound like the rotor are the wheel is dragging it make so much noise day and night when i get in my car to go to work ,it just make everybody look at me even when i leave my job it does the same thing could you tell me what to do ,also my transmission have a leak in it they call them self to fix it but the gear is strained to get in but it take a long tike,i think this is a recakk on brakes yes are know,so could you all fix this problem please it is driving me crazy.thank you eren
  • Options
    donsptdonspt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 PT that makes an occasional "slapping" noise from the rear, but only at times, and usually when it's a bumpy road, but it doesn't always do it on bumpy roads. Since Nov. '04, I have brought it in to have it looked at the dealer 4 times, and they replaced the tie rod equalizer twice, and insulated the fuel tank fill extension, but the noise is still there, though noone seems to hear it when I need them to.

Any ideas?
    I am going nuts!
  • Options
    As stupid as this may sound, did you check the spare tire? If it's not snug against the body it will rattle, or if the tire is not in the cage right it will make a thumping noise.
  • Options
    jpholdenjpholden Member Posts: 4
    Did any of you find a solution? I am headed for my second radio and no one, including Chrysler can explain why. Thanks
  • Options
    sarah8sarah8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003. I have replaced rotors and brake pads at 27000 miles and am replacing them again at 48000. I think this is too much. I have had vehicles for years and years and never replace the brake rotors. I do not abuse my car. I have it serviced on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fairly normal for pads but not for rotors...sometimes under-sized rotors are engineered for some cars and it's unfortunate.
  • Options
    I have an 03 PT and I just changed my pads at 45000. My rotors are fine. Where are you getting it serviced? They may be using pads that will last but pretty much abuse your rotors. Also check your alignment, if it's off that will effect the brakes.
  • Options
    gary27gary27 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I was wondering if you got anywhere with your wheel situation? I have a 2001 with 64k. I've had the leaky wheel problem for about 2yrs. My wife called Chrysler and they pretty much blew her off. We've been Chrysler buyers for the past 12yrs. but after that response those Japanese vehicles look better and better.
    Thanks, Gary
  • Options
    lov2trvllov2trvl Member Posts: 1
    While driving my 2001 making a sharp turn suddenly a beeping alarm came from inside the dash area. It sounded like a key left in the ignition chime but constant. After straightening the car out it stopped. It scared the heck out of me.
  • Options
    thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    This is a long shot........when the low gas lite comes on in the 2001 model is there also an alarm warning ? I ask that because I have seen if you are a little low on gas and if you take a sharp corner,ie,a highway exit ramp, the sensor associated with the gas gauge sometimes can initiate the low fuel warning because the gas is moving from a center location in tank to one of the corners. If I am wrong..it was just a hunch !!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
This discussion has been closed.