Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• duettomduettom Member Posts: 5
    Until I get the torque steer under control I don't think having a bit less power will be a bad thing. Thanks again.
  • my2centsworthmy2centsworth Member Posts: 1
    As far as I know, if you repair your leased vehicle and they put the aftermarket parts on it, it is technically in not the same condition when your lease is up. This might cost you your downpayment. ;)
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    That depends on the car. Putting lower then recomended fuel in a car with a turbo can be an accident waiting to happen. Detonation is a terrible thing to do to a motor. If you EVER hear knock or ping, get your foot off the pedal until you can get the correct fuel in the car.

However, most modern cars are designed with knock sensors and other devices that can monitor fuel types. Essentially, when the car senses detonation, the computer will pull timing and even richen-up the fuel mixture.

When this happens, you will loose both fuel economy and hp. How much? Depends on the car and how agressive the tune was in the first place. You might see a loss of 1 mpg and I would expect a loss of hp to be about 5 - 10 on a car like this and probably closer to the 5 hp number. On a 200 hp car, you will get about 10 hp increase by adjusting timing when going from 87 to 93 octane. Your car is most likely not designed for 93, but for 90 or maybe 91, since most places can not get 93 or even 92 anymore.

If the owners manual says that you can run 87, but that they prefer 89 - 92, then this is probably because the car is rated at the higher octane for power purposes and fuel economy, but that is the only reason. That is a lot different then saying "don't run 87".

As far as the folks on the other boards criticing you for using 87 in a turbo....that is comming from people stupid enough to think that a PT Cruiser is a sports car. Yes, running 87 octane in a 500 hp car with a built motor designed to run 93 would be very stupid, but probably not on your car. These are mass-produced cars designed to run on regular streets with pump gas.

To be sure, check with the service manager on the octane issue. They should know how the car is equipped and if there are knock sensors.
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    Hey Car_man and/or kyfdx,

Do you have any info on a PT Cruiser Limited, 15K miles, 36-39 months (residual, money factor) in Texas? While I don't personally care for these cars, my hubby is enamored with them and is interested in one.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Merry Christmas!

ChiGirl
    Hubby is interested in '08 Cruiser Limited....does anyone have any recent buying/leasing experiences? What kind of discount off the MSRP can we reasonably expect? Real life figures are always helpful, in addition, of course, to Edmunds' TMV!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!

ChiGirl
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    What kind of discount off the MSRP can we reasonably expect?

Hi. If you can get an EC (Employee Choice) or Friends discount number from a Chrysler employee it can save you a lot off the MSRP. The EC program will be discontinued after 01/02/2008 but the Friends will stay the same.

Unfortunately, I'm all out of either discount until 01/01/2008 but you might try posting your request on some of the other Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep forums. Many Chrysler workers are also Chrysler owners who surf the forums. We are permitted to give out 2 EC numbers or 6 Friends discounts per calendar year.

MSRP: $23,300 (2008 PT Cruiser Limited - no other options)
    EC: $20,237
    Friends: $20,549

All of the above prices include a $640 destination charge. The EC and Friends include a current $1,000 rebate, which expires after 01/02/2008. Add $200 to the EC price for a program fee that would be added by the dealer.

Also, those discounts and rebate info are based on a zip code in the St. Louis area. Discount prices and incentives vary by region and you didn't provide your zip code to give you a more accurate quote.
  • arewhyinoharewhyinoh Member Posts: 13
    Wife is expecting our 3rd next week! Need to get a vehicle with 3 rows of seats. Anyone have an employee choice burning a hole in their pocket yet for 2007. Going in to lease a Chrysler on Monday and would love to use it!
    Never mind on this request, Car_man. After making a futile attempt with the dealership to get a decent deal on this car, we went to the Honda dealership and leased a Civic Si sedanl

You would think that, with these vehicles (PT Cruisers) not moving very well (at least they aren't here), they would be willing to negotiate more to make a sale. Maybe we just encountered a bad dealership (this one, Huffhines in Plano, is definitely not recommended!), but we got much more of a deal and negotiating off MSRP from the Honda dealership, which was a surprise.

I'll post my Honda deal in that forum and give a rating to the Honda dealership, David McDavid in Frisco, TX.

Thanks,
    ChiGirl
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey ChiGirl. Good choice in vehicles. I like the Civic Si. It definitely will be a lot more fin to drive around in than the PT Cruiser would have been, Thanks for offering to share the details of your deal and rate the dealership. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • edillen1edillen1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought an 07 Base model, 5-speed with sun and sound package (Sunroof, High end Stereo with amp and sub and Sirius) for 12,500 out the door. Sticker on it was 17,200.
  • paingodpaingod Member Posts: 1
    Hey!! Those cars are still out there! I just bought a 2006 black GT Convertible with 117 miles with Auto. & sound group for 16,075 TODAY. couldnt be happier
  • olguyolguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.
    I just picked up my first PT. It's just the basic little set up. 2007, and I paid $7800 out the door with 19,275 miles on it. Still under chrysler warranties. I got it from a Chrysler dealer in my area. I hope this was a good deal. I do have a question. I hear about 6 inch and 6.5 inch rims. I'm wondering if either one of those rims has enough lip to install hub caps such as the gripping type. You older guys will know what I mean. The type ya put on by smacking it around the rim untill it seats on the rims. Anyone know???
    Thanks
  • pewartpewart Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2010
    Bought the 2006 PT used from H&S Motors, Alamo, South Texas.
    Looks sharp, neat gun metal paint job, plain steel wheels. Had 55K on odometer and had been repaired following a crash. It had had panel work on the grill and a guard replaced, nothing structural with photos to prove it. Given assurances that their was nothing else wrong with the vehicle I was worked over with assurances that I could call on the place anytime with any problems and he would help out. Agreed on $5000 with a few minor things to be addressed prior to collection.
    Picked the car up to find the car had not been detailed as agreed on, the new license was not issued for 12months, okay face value I made no fuss.
    Took vehicle in for new set of tyres, although it had practically new rubber they were budget no names and wanted descent quality.
    Find out that the brake rotors were totally unsafe and had them replaced, the battery was loose and sliding around waiting to destroy anything it could contact.
    Next thing the cooling system was toasted and having been filled with water only a corrosion trap???
    And you can guess as to the claim that the oils had been all new, had not been serviced for over six months!
    After putting out over $1000 in the first few weeks of ownership on top of the purchase costs, I thought I should call the sales yard and just let them know that I was not happy with the growing mountain of false claims he made.
    To my surprise I find m number has been blocked and he does not accept my calls, instant alarm bells and now I wonder what else he knows about but did not declare!
    Giving the benefit of doubt I write to the guy explaining that I need to contact him and request he let me know what happens. They do not even have the decency to reply.
    I guess I should know to beware of car salesman but you pay that bit more to have a little piece of mind don't you?
    I can not trust H&S Motors in Alamo, South Texas, the business operators have been untruthful and misrepresented this vehicle. An agreement is an agreement you owe them nothing!
This discussion has been closed.