Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Suspension

cardeleacardelea Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I purchased a Dakota last week and the suspension seems really bumpy on the freeway. I am used to Toyota trucks (Tacoma and Tundra) and the shaking was never this bad. My new truck is litterly vibrating to the point my back is a little sore. Is the suspension/shocks just stiffer on the Dakota or is there a problem with my truck? (I am thinking of taking it to the dealer but want to be informed first.)

Thanks

Comments

• swooshmanswooshman Member Posts: 56
    Hey cardelea... I noticed that my 94 chev pickup would vibrate at speeds of 45 + mph, you could feel it at the steering wheel and in your back through your seat. I didn't do any hunting for the problem because I figured it was the universal joint and i had planned on changing it soon anyway. One look under the truck and rocking the drive shaft I saw that it was gone. I don't know if Dakota's have any suspension problems and maybe thats the case for your truck but if you can get a second check out the universal joint. The rear joint is the one that seems to go and it was in my case. Not an expensive job but will need to lift the truck to do a good job of it. Had mine done here for 50 canadian. Hope you can figure it out.

Swooshman
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I just took possession of a 2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport Plus. It has the 6010 lb. gross vehicle weight (GVW) package and the handling package that includes a very heavy front sway bar, a rear sway bar, and Goodyear SR/A On road/Off road tires.

Mine is much stiffer than the base model SLT version that I drove before I bought this one. Yes, on some undulated roads I do get some body shake, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I drove this truck for three days before I bought it, in part because I was concerned about how rough this truck was going to ride. My spouse is not fond of trucks in general, and much to my surprise she commented "how smooth it rode." She drives a Toyota Avalon every day, by the way. Admittedly most of that ride was on good pavement.

I have driven a Tacoma with the "TRO" off-road package and I would say that my Dakota is actually a little smoother, but not as smooth as a Tundra.

I haven't had mine on the freeway much, but what little its been on hasn't indicated any proclivity towards being bumpy or rough. It seems to react more than a regular suspension Dakota on tar strips, but so far nothing that would rattle my back bone. I just turned a 1000 miles tonight and I think its starting to soften up a bit. Time will tell. It sure does handle nicely with that handling package, though.

Out of all of the trucks I've driven this past year I'd say the Dakota seats are about the most comfortable for my aging form. A little firmer than the Fords, but I think I feel more secure and get a better ride overall.

Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • clammanclamman Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a Dakota 03 Quad with the 4.7 engine, loaded with leather. I saved along time for this truck and knew what I purchased. I think this is the nicest ride I have ever driven. Not one complaint at all. Cardela, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. Let us know what you find out!
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    Chris,
    I have an '01 4 WD.QC with no vibrating or shakeing whatsoever.
    As a matter of fact my brother owned a Tacoma for several years. It had a powerfull engine and a tight body, but was an extremely hard riding truck.
    I spent many hours in the passenger seat with my butt bouncing off the seat with the seat belt locking up as the only thing keeping me on the seat.
    So I would say to you if you have vibrations and rough ride I would go back to the dealer and have them look at it or try driving another while there.

Good Luck,
    Greg
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    First check your tire pressures. If you want a smoother ride, and aren't loaded down, set the rear to the lower end of the recommended inflation. You're not real clear as to "vibration". Higher inflation in an unloaded truck can make the rear hop as it encounters differences in the pavement.
    Second would be to have them check the tire balance. An unbalanced tire may be unnoticible around town, but at freeway speeds can behave quite violently.
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    Check the tire pressures. New vehicles are usually shipped with the tires overserviced. My Dakota was delivered to me with 40 pounds in all the tires.
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    Yes, Check your tire pressure, but also check your owners manual for it's possible you may require this higher pressure per the type of drivng you do.
This discussion has been closed.