Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf R32

1235»

Comments

• vdubbingvdubbing Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, im from Australia and thinking bout getting a r32 2004 model can anybody tell me about the maintainace on this car how costly it is ?and what are the common faults? and how is the car on fuel consumption ?their were only 200 brot into aust and about 6 04 models in the whole country for sale. can somebody anybody email me zsurtie@student.bond.edu.au

thank you
  • skipageskipage Member Posts: 4
    I love my R32-only one problem. I discovered the hard way that it has NO spare tire! Advice online suggested a TT type spare but I found that it is almost impossible to buy a spare tire-new or used.
    Good luck!
    PS
    I have an 88 Porsche Carrera and have a tough time deciding which one to drive!
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    VW is now including a spare tire and wheel with the 08 R32. It is nicely stored in the trunk area under a cover, not outside the car, a very nice improvement over the 04 model.

I now have just over 2500 miles on my car and loving it. Mileage is steadily improving to about 23 mpg with about 75% highway. Can get 25 at a steady 65 mph.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    What number is yours? Mine is 2719. Gray with nav. Awesome car so far! I've got just under 500 miles on it. :D
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    604doc,
    So you got your new ride?? Congrats! Mine just hit 700 miles and I'm itchin to get to 1000 to try the launch control. If you mind me asking, did you get a good deal? Were you able to pull off $4K under invoice. Gray w Nav eh, you've gotta be stoked!

Congrats again. I'm loving mine.
    Apparently, you couldn't get both rebates, which I verified with another dealer. I got the car at invoice, minus $2,000, at 2.9%. They then discounted another 1500 or so to make up for the nav that I didn't want.
    I'm glad I got the nav now that I have it. It's not the most user friendly though. I really like the ipod interface, even though it doesn't display the track title on the screen, but I can skip through tracks on the ipod with the steering wheel controls.
    So far it's been great. I did have the "loose fuel cap" light come on out of the blue yesterday, but it cleared itself the next time I started it. I hadn't opened the cap in a week or so. Hopefully just a one time glitch.

It sure is hard keeping you foot out of the gas though!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Didn't you just get a GTI? What happened to that? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Sounds like a great deal. And yeah, I agree with you on the nav system...pretty useless; however, since you got them to knock off another $1500, than a free nav sounds pretty sweet! :)

The gas cap thing was something they harped on upon delivery; and I told them I have owned VWs and Audis in the past and have grown to ignore the "check engine" light...although, I didn't realize they now have a seperate "loose fuel cap" light"...good idea VW.

In ref to the speed, I couldn't agree more. In fact my first two tanks have returned a sad 17.9 and 17.6 mpg (all around town, no interstate yet) and I know this is due to the way I'm driving it....but, I can't help it. Of course, I still have yet to use the "S" mode and have stayed inbetween 4K-5K on the tach; thus, i still haven't redlined it yet....imagine what my mpg will be when I start doing that. Oh well, I knew this when I bought it and I still love it....I just wish it had a bigger gas tank for a longer cruising range.

Enjoy your new ride and report back with an new updates (good and bad).
    Not me, I never considered the GTI due to FWD only. With all wheel drive, the R32 has no torque steer what so ever. I've never driven a GTI, but I assume there's some torque steer with it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Must have mixed you up with someone else..

Torque steer is not really an issue with the GTI, that I can tell..

But, congrats on the new car! Those are great deals!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree we should keep some dialogue going. Since it's a limited production car, there won't be a whole lot of traffic on this thread.
    I've been trying to be careful with the gas pedal. I haven't tried launch mode, or a real heavy Sport mode take off yet either. But I really want to!
    Gas mileage is a bit low, but my other vehicle which this replaced, is a '98 Cherokee, which I've never gotten over 14mpg except for long freeway trips which I seldom make. I kept the Jeep as a second vehicle for house hold chores, really bad weather, etc.
    Since the gas cap light incident, I've driven it 2 or 3 times without a problem.
    What number did you say yours was?
    Thanks kyfdx! :D

I was in the exact same boat as you in ref to the torque steer. I have owned an A3 2.0T and although the tug on the steering wheel is not as bad as say a Mini Cooper S, it is certainly noticeable. And I've got to say that I am pretty much done with FWD cars. The AWD in the R32 is really perfect. It provides the confidence in take off and around the corners that I crave. Like I've said before, i believe this car is the perfect balance of luxury, speed, grip & style for the price point of $30K. However, it is no doubt a niche car...but that niche was perfect for me....C&D put it best: its either a bargain TT 3.2 Quattro with practicality (read, backseat) or an overpriced GTI...depends on your point of view.
    I've got 1600 miles on my car and decided to try out the launch control this past weekend....wow....impressive! What really surprised me were the rpms hitting over 7K when the redline is 6.5K. Obviously, this is ok for the engine....I guess.... :confuse:

Anyway, quite a fun experience. I love the way the car "squats" just before take off...like a tiger ready to pounce....good times :shades:
    I'm traveling for business right now, but can't wait to get back and drive the R again. I just passed 600 miles, and I'm looking forward to trying the launch control. The manual says that recommended break in is 600 miles, so I think I'm go for launch! :D
    Yeah, I read the same thing, but decided to wait until after 1000 miles. Then I had to take a couple of short trips last week that pushed me over 1600 and I knew it was definitely time.

It is really a cool feature; make sure you find some nice open road to try it out. Let me know how it goes.
    Last week, when I started the car for the second time that day, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it right to the dealer. They checked a bunch of stuff, and reset the light. They said that no codes had been stored. It's been fine since, but so far I've had two "fuel cap" lights, and one "check engine" light come on for no apparent reason, with less than 1000 miles on the car. I'm not too worried...yet. :sick:
    Ok, I've gotta ask the obvious question...you are "clicking" the gas cap at LEAST 3 times after each fill up, correct? I'm sure you are, but isn't that the reason that light would come on. I've got about 2500 miles on mine now and have not had any of the warnings lights (except Please Refuel!) come on. I'm sure it's nothing, but keep us posted.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'd have to agree. Look for the simplest explanation first and that's usually the gas cap being loose. If you're sure that you're properly closin the cap, I'd check the cap itself and make sure that there's no damage that's preventing a seal.
    After the fuel cap light came on for the 3rd time, I brought it in while the light was still on. They checked it again and they ordered some kind of valve. When I bring it back to get it installed, I'll report back with the details.
    The first time it happened, I thought maybe I did leave the cap loose, or didn't click it, etc. The second and now 3rd time it happened, I hadn't touched the cap, hadn't filled up etc., since the last time the light came on. I was just driving along, with about a half a tank of gas or so, suddenly I hear "bing", and looked down to see the light on.
    The vw mechanic explained that there are several components in the system that will result in the light coming on. I go back on the 23rd, so I'll let everyone know what happens.
    BTW, he also said that after 2 or 3 "fuel cap" lights in a given time, it will trigger the "check engine" light to come on, so that part makes sense.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ah... I just had a check engine light come on for an EGR valve malfunction. Reset the light with an OBDII scanner and waiting to see if it was a freak occurance or if it repeats itself
    Well, it's been quiet on this forum for long enough, so here is my update. I'm about to take my 08 R32 in for its first service (oil change). I've experienced zero problems with the car so far. I've used the launch control about 8 times with no issues and lots of grins. Here are the pros and cons of the car as I see them:

Pros: Effortless speed; others may cry for more than 250 hp, but I never find myself in a situation where I've needed more power. DSG; IMO the best transmission on the planet (and this is coming from a guy who only owned manuals). Grip; the R really sticks in the turns. Haldex 4motion; it has come in handy on a few snowy days here in VA, but most importantly it eliminates all torque steer that you get in the GTI and other FWD rockets. Well appointed interior. Excellent sound system. Understated style inside and out; I love the center dual exhaust (and the sound it makes).

Cons: There is a rattle somewhere in the center stack that comes and goes. It's not very loud, but I notice it when the HVAC and radio are off. I'm going to have this addressed at the service next week. To complete the look, I wish the R came with fog lights...not a big deal, but it would be a nice touch. And my biggest complaint would have to be the small gas tank. For a little GT, this puppy is only going about 225 to 250 between fill ups. I don't mind the gas mileage, but I would love a longer cruising range.

So, there you have it. I'm about 3 1/2 months into ownership and I couldn't be happier with the car. And I have only seen one other R32 on the road since my purchase....which I love!

604doc, how did your little gas cap light situation turn out? How's your R treating you?
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    My 08 had its 15K service about 3 weeks ago. I know that the manual doesn't call for anything at 15K but I had the oil changed anyway. I have had zero problems with my car other than having new wiper blades installed at the 10K service. I drive it everyday 60 miles RT to and from work at 70-75 mph. Usually get between 24 and 26 mpg so I'm not complaining. So far I am a happy R owner.
    Wow, 24 to 26 mpg is impressive. I haven't been on many trips in my R yet, but the best I've gotten so far was 22.8 on a 125 mile round trip (mostly interstate). Although I must admit that I have a lot of trouble not taking every opportunity to downshift and blow by someone....maybe if I relaxed a little I could do better, but where's the fun in that...:)
    I had the weirdest experience at my dealer concerning the gas cap light.

On the previous visit, I was told that some sort of emissions valve had to be ordered, so another appointment was made.
    When I brought it in, the service advisor confirmed my appointment, gave me a loaner and said they'd call when it was done.

So here's the weird part. When I picked it up, the service advisor was busy, so I just grabbed my copy of the repair order, and my keys, and went out to the car. Before I left the lot, I read the repair order, and it basically said, "tested system, no fault found". There was no mention of a part being replaced.
    I went back inside for an explanation, and the service advisor acted like he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked why the part hadn't been installed. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone or something. He said there was no record of a part even being ordered. So I asked, "If no part was ordered, why did you schedule an appointment for me to come back in?" He just hemmed and hawed, and said they didn't find any problem, and to come back if it happened again.
    Since that visit, I've had zero issues, which is great, but strange. I sometimes think that they did change the part, but didn't want the visit to count towards a possible "lemon law" visit. It's the only thing I can think of.

A few days later, the service manager called and said that he'd overheard the conversation and was investigating what had happened. He said to call him personally if I had any more issues. The whole thing was just weird.

BTW, do you guys base you service interval on time, or mileage? I'll hit 6 months before I hit 5000 miles as far as the first service goes.
    Your advisor definitely lives in "bizarro world!!" (sorry, I always been a big Seinfeld fan) That is very strange, but at least the light has stayed off since then and I'm glad to hear the manager called you as well....someone needs to stay on top of that guy.

I'm actually going by the computer. Mine says I need to have the first service in 5 days or 750 miles....since this is my first service, I'm gonna go by the "5 days" part. After this one though, I'll be going by the mileage recommendation. I don't know if it's myth or truth, but I'm always itching to get that first oil change done and it's hard enough for me to wait til 5K (or with my prior BMW, almost 15K miles!!). So, if I were you, I would head in there by the 6th month and then go by the mileage intervals from then on.
    Thanks for the advice. I was kinda leaning that way.
  • hansel24hansel24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to pass the 23,000 mile mark on my 2008 R32 on Monday so I figured I would share some of my experiences to see if anyone else out there is having some of the same issues.

1. Fuel Light Fault - I've had this fault almost as long as I've owned the car. Also immediately after fueling when I try to start the engine it will choke and sometimes die without starting. This only happens immediately after fueling. I've taken it to the dealer a half dozen times but they can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I've learned to ignore it.

2. DSG Transmission Problems - For the last month I've noticed that when I'm on the autobahn (I live in Germany) driving between 100 and 120 mph and then have to slow down to stop and go for traffic, when the transmission goes from 2nd to 1st gear the whole car shudders like I hit the brake. Then when I lightly apply the gas pedal the RPM needle bounces like if I was driving a manual and not giving it enough gas while letting off the clutch. I'm taking it back to the dealer this week to have it looked at again.

3. VW Roof Rack Dented Car - The VW roof rack I purchased from the VW dealer that is specifically built for the 2008 Golf has dented my car where it attaches in the rear over the passenger side rear window. I tightened the rack with the tool that came with the rack to the specified torque shown on the tool and it dented my car.

4. Engine Check Light & Stereo Problems - This has only happened one time so I'm not too upset about it. When the engine check light went on for the fuel cap fault my stereo immediately lost all function. The stereo was still powered on but none of the buttons worked and the sound had cut off. This all happened while I was driving on the autobahn. I was able to restore functionality by pulling over and turning the car off then back on.

Overall I'm pretty unhappy with the R32. Although it drives wonderfully in the snow which I tested all winter long in the Alps in Austria. Also, it is fun to drive in the city and high speed corners going on or off the autobahn are a blast. All in all though it just doesn't perform as well as I had expected it to. I took it head-to-head against my friends Mini Cooper S on the autobahn and it was nose to nose all the way to where I hit my limiter at 130mph and then he pulled away because he's had his limiter removed. I expected more from the V6!

I wish I would have gone for one of the German Audi turbo diesels that are here. They're faster than the R32 and get over 30mpg.

Cheers,
    Keith
    Hi Keith,
    Just a quick note on your fuel issue. I don't know if this applies to you, but here in the States, VW released a recall on the fuel system. I had it done last week, and haven't had the fuel cap light since. It didn't come on a lot with my car, so I'm not 100% sure that it's fixed.
    I don't know if your car's fuel/emissions system is the same as US spec cars, but you might ask your dealer.
  • eldaino2eldaino2 Member Posts: 34
    hansel....

he beat you due to a removed speed limiter but you are blaming it on the engine?

its the limiter man.

and i thought all r32's were limited to 150mph?
  • kona8kona8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 R32's DSG transmission is doing the exact same thing you describe above in point #2 when going from 2nd to 1st gear. Do you know what this problem is? Has your dealer corrected it?

I just ordered the VW basic roof rack for my car. Any advice to avoid the dents in the roof?

Thanks
    Well, I haven't visited this thread in a while, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi, and give an update on my R32.

I've got just over 10K now, and besides the occasional "check fuel cap" light, I've had zero problems. The car is still a blast to drive.

Now when the fuel cap light comes on, I just ignore it, because it usually goes out and stays out at the next start. I've pretty much given up on the dealer being able to fix it.
  • dub_ladydub_lady Member Posts: 3
    I found this cool comparison of the 2008 R32 and the 2004 R32 at this Portland Volkswagen Dealers blog. Its pretty cool, they had a blue 2008 R32 and a blue 2004 R32 took them out for test drives and compared how they drive and such.
This discussion has been closed.