Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tadstads Member Posts: 31
    I've heard thru these pages of similar noises emitting from the rear of the Sorento.
    Sounds to me like it could have something to do with the fact that these vehicles are fitted with a LSD (limited slip differential).I have the five speed manual and cant say I've heard like what is descibed with yours tho.
    Give you a tip,dont only talk to the sales people who sold you the vehicle, talk to the head mehanic himself as well.In fact call all the Sorento workshops you can untill you find someone that sounds like they know a bit about Sorento's as experiance counts.
    Most dealers dont want it known that Kia vehicles have any faults at all and wont admit to you if there was.
    My 04 EX has just started to leak oil from the rear main (the crank seal between the engine and the gearbox) and as it is only 6 months old, its a worry.
    I've just had the timing belt replaced under warranty as it slipped a couple of notches.Hope the string of faults end here or Kia will wish they had never sold me one of their cars because I just dont have the time or patients to be stuffing around with workshops for the life of the vehicle !!

Goodluck

Tads
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I have a 2003 Sorento too. It is an EX, 4WD with Torque-On-Demand (TOD). Like many owners, I always experience this thump feeling when you release the brake and after a hard stopping from a high speed. It doesn't happen all the time. And it depends how fast you are stopping from. For example, I am exiting the highway and then stop at the light or stop sign. I feel the thump feeling from the rear wheels when I release the brake and take off. I didn't bring this up to my dealer. But all saying is the same thing your dealer said. People also saying about the limited slip differential (LSD). My car has 30500 miles now and there is no drivetrain problem.
    My dealer replaced the body cladding on both rear doors few months ago. There were a metal strips which welded and connected to the cladding and the door edge on EX models. You can only see it when you open the rear doors. The metal strips are easy to get rusty especially driving in snow countries. The moisture and road salt are bad for this. My dealer also replaced another EX with the same problem. They put a new cladding without the metal strips, all plastic... no rust.

For the rear hatch, I noticed a rust spot on a painted surface near the rear license plate garnish (chrome). I read sometime here or another Sorento board about a poorly design. I have to go back to my dealer to see what they can do about it.
  • andrew3030andrew3030 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Sorento EX for almost 2 years now, with about 22800 miles on it.
    In this time I have replaced the drivers side low beam lamp 3 times, I'm on the 4th
    bulb now. The passenger side went out for the first time last night. The service dept. told me to call for an appt. on monday. Anyone had a similar problem?
  • beyond_helpbeyond_help Member Posts: 110
    blown bulbs....check battery condition and charging system voltage ?
  • fergyfergy Member Posts: 9
    I just replaced all four headlamps with PIAA super whites and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a course in headlight aiming on the sorento? The manual made it clear how to replace them, which was a snap, but nothing about aiming them. I see some diagrams on the housing with arrows but it sure isn't obvious. Has anyone done this?
    By the way, our 2005 Sport is 6 months old and we've had no problems. We love it!
    Are you change the bulbs correctly? Did you touch the glass surface with fingers?How long these bulbs usually last?
  • phoenixriderphoenixrider Member Posts: 34
    Yes, mine burned out also. First, the low beam driver's side. Then the passanger. I replaced them with very expensive Sylvania Silver Stars (awesome lights) Unfortunlatley, the driver's side burned out within about 3 months. I switched back to just standard halogens. So far, haven't had any more problems (about 8 months now)

Adjusting the lights - forget about it! OMG, they are so stupid! You have to pull the headlight fixture out, adjust the screw, put it in, check the alignment, pull the light out, adjust the screw, put it - you get the picture. A royal PITA!
    Yeah, my original bulbs were fine, but just wanted to upgrade. I've dealt with halogen bulbs for years with tv studio work so I know the ropes about not touching the glass and getting oils on it etc. I figured that you had to remove the lense module to adjust them. My dealership repair shop guy told me they weren't adjustable but were fixed aim. Oh well. I'll give it a try. The PIAA's are awesome bright. Real sharp cutoff on low beams. That's what I need to raise a hair.
    After recently having major engine failure after beach sand contaminated the inner timing case and derailing the timing belt, I modified the Belly pan to eleminate the same problem occuring.I suggest anyone here do the same if you head off into sandy area's as the std belly plate scoops up and traps sand where it makes its way through the radiator.
    When the thermo fans kick in this trapped sand gets blasted into the engine bay.There is a huge gap around the crank pully/timing belt cover that should not be there ! Might be ok on a street car but a 4x4 ?!!
    Appart from that and the oil leak coming from the rear main oil seal the Sorento is great :confuse:
    They are a nice rig but Kia need to do abit more homework on them befor giving them a title as a true off road vehicle.Anyway I've posted some pics on webshots to those interested in seriously going bush with their rigs.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tadpole204

Good luck and have fun good people

Ps A link i posted earlier was wrong,goodluck with this one.
    the only comment i can make is, WOW ! well done!
    The manual has very good instructions on removing the headlight module and replacing bulbs, but nothing on aiming adjustment points. I replaced all my factory headlamps with PIAA bulbs, much brighter by the way and it was a snap. I called Kia and they said call the dealership, so I did, and talked to a repair tech who said the headlights weren't adjustable, but were fixed at the factory. Someone else replied to my earlier post saying that you had to remove the assembly and turn the screw, put it back in and check it, remove it etc. Well, to my surprise, after taking both modules out to look them over, I noticed that the screws (which are in the back and would be nearly impossible to get to) have a metal cap around them with groves in it. There is a channel from the top of the housing down to the groves where a standard flathead screwdriver can easily fit into to turn the cap and screw, easily adjusting the aim of the headlights without having to do anything special, and while it is still mounted in the vehicle. The adjustment screw and cap for the left and right adjustment has a plastic cover over it, mainly (I'm sure) because you generally don't need to adjust left and right. If necessary, it does come off and you have the same access as the up and down adjustment from the top of the housing. Since I noticed this, I thought I'd post it to clear things up! It was absolutely the easiest headlight adjustments I've ever had to do.
    By the way, the PIAA Super White H1's and H7's are unbelieveably bright. A huge improvement over the factory bulbs! Matter of fact, I've got to adjust them down further as the low beams are blinding oncoming vehicles and they're flashing us.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Are you talking about the owners manual or the shop manual. If you have a shop manual, may I ask where and how you purchased it ? Thanks
  • mijulianmijulian Member Posts: 3
    Hi to all:
    2004 LX RWD 7655 miles in Miami.
    This is my first post on this board; I am experiencing a harsh metalic sound, like something is scrathing or rubbing, very hard to describe, when I first start rolling, more noticeable when I press the gas pedal and it goes way as the engine gets up to temperature, it lasts for about 3 to 4 minutes, took it to the dealer but of course they could not duplicate the sound, heard it on an Spectra the other day while driving along side to it.
    Besides I am having also a ticking sound, very hard when I first start the truck in the morning and afterit remains but not too loud, I am pretty sure is a lifter/valve problem, also the dealer could not duplicate.
    I am very frustrated, traded a 2001 Hyundai Santa fe LX FWD for the Sorento, never had a sound coming from the engine or drive train in 3.5 years and in a way, I am sorry I did it.
    Any sugestions or anybody had this problems? Will appreciate any response.

Thanks

Julian :confuse:
    No, just the owner's manual.
  • beck17720beck17720 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 EX and i have had the vehicle in the shop twice for the dome light. I was covered under warranty both times and its a good thing the part was about $300.00.
    Gday mate,

Yeah that ticking sound could be the fuel injectors.It had me stumped for a while as my 04 EX dose the same thing.I noticed it more so with the plastic engine cover off.At first I thought it might be a spark plug lead earthed out but nah, apparently injectors make that sort of racket.
    One thing in regards to spark plug leads in my Sorento.At night while checking to see if a plug lead was earthing out to eliminate a possible cause to the ticking noise, I noticed all three leads while the motor was running of corse, on the right side (Aus) were all throwing a glow,earthing where they channel into the head.I doubt this is normal and if it is, its wasted energy to the spark plugs !
    Is your Sorento a manual ? If so are you slightly labouring the engine when it happens ? If it is a manual it may be the gearbox rattling ? Mine dose it now and then.

The fact that these vehicles have a warranty means it makes good sence to give em heaps befor the warranty expires and get every thing fixed befor then.

Good luck
    Tads
  • mijulianmijulian Member Posts: 3
    Gday to you Tads from the US:
    No, mine is an automatic transmission and I said, the sound goes way after maybe 5 minutes, and it does it everytime I start rolling.
    About the ticking or tapping sound, why the fuel injectors would make this kind of sound? Never heard that before, are they defective or maybe need adjustment? I already put the most expensive fuel injector cleaner in the market and it did not do anything to alleviate this. Did you take the truck to your dealer and they said that they were the fuel injectors?
    I know about the warranty, that's why I am not too worried, but is exremely stressfull to the ear, specially that the truck is brand new, 7 months of ownership.
    Going to persue this with Kia and demand to see the Florida General Manager, already have a case open for Kia for this two little (sic) problems.
    Thanks for your response.

Julian
    Yeah Gday Julian

That noise you talk about could be any number of things.My 74 XJ12 L Jaguar once made a noise like you describe and it turned out to be the cooling fins that wrap around the Torque Converter coming loose and hitting the Bell housing.Mind you I did fit a 350 Chev to it so it was all non standard.
    One other thing to concider is that your rig was either built on a Monday or a Friday ? ;) Maybe some loose bolts.Another thing Ive seen happen is rocks getting caught between the brake caliper and the disc.Jeez mate I dunno,it should be looked at ASAP in case something lets go.

The ticking sound that I thought was a loose spark plug lead and that I was told was the injectors, was pointed out to me by the dealers w/shop.Its not that obvious tho.
    One reason they may make this sound is because of some sort of non return valve inbuilt into them as usually the fuel rail is one pressurized fuel line and the injectors are like a solenoid opening and closing according to the timing.Im not a full bottle on EFI by any standards but it makes sence.

Your on the right track by contacing the GM and yeah it is disheartening to have your Sorento less than perfect,I know because when the timing belt slipped and was finaly fixed on my rig, I then noticed a bad oil leak.It looks like the rear main oil seal and the gearbox will have to come out to replace the seal.The clutch will be contaminated by oil by now and it too will need replacing so I'll wait a while.Ive had my Sorento about the same time, 7 months.
    As I've said in the past,the Sorento's are a nice vehicle to drive and feel solid enough but Kia need to test them in a place like Australia for at least one year,preferably with me behind the wheel :P before they release them to the public.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go

Regards Tads
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    you're dreaming if you think Kia's gonna test SUV's out in the Outback for a year or so. Ain't gonna happen. Try to find that much equipment on any other rig for sale for the price, though. Even Hyundai's offerings don't match up to Kia's. Kia is your best choice on the planet now for an SUV.

hey, tads...is the rock band AC/DC from Australia? I thought they were from England. They are. Why is it I hear a report on them in the news media as being from Australia? What do you think, man?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ghurkghurk Member Posts: 6
    lok888,

Here's a quick update from Canada on my rust problem. I bought the car at Donnelly Kia in Ottawa Ontario, Canada. Took the car in Wed for another inspection & the service manager had been arguing my case to Kia Canada; however, he was not successful.

Kia Canada will not fix this problem as a warranty repair even though it has significantly less than 20K km or 1 year of use. Although the repair could be completed for $500 they are only willing to shell out for a $175 partial fix. I would be on the hook for the rest if you can believe it!

The worst part is...it's a documented design flaw in the Sorento that's been problematic since the 2003 model. Although aware of the problem, and sending out service bulletins, Kia has taken no steps to correct the problem on newer year models; and refuses to correct under warranty.

I hope you have better luck with your US dealer.
    Yeah your right,its hard to beat the Kia as far as overall value for money goes and I suppose you have to take the good with the bad.
    It would be interesting to know the percentages of Sorento owners,the ones who are having greif to those that dont have any problems at all, that dont have the internet or dont know about Edmunds.com to report such problems here as well.
    Most drama with the Sorento seem trivial and there seems to be quite a few dealers who just aint on the ball in regards to fixing problems quickly and without fuss.It would be the same for all makes I guess.

Yes AC/DC are an Australian band (most members are or were Scottish tho)and Bon Scott's Parents live over in Perth WA where Bon is buried.Bon died in the UK around 1982 I think.
    America banned AC/DC from performing over there early on because they were, at the time to full on.You blokes pretty much break all the rules now tho ha ha.

Tads
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    tads. I knew Bon died in the UK but I thought the band was also from the UK.

Enjoy your Sorento and don't be too hard on it!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    can you show pictures of the rust area.
    I took some pictures of the rust spots too. I can email them to you. Make sure your email address is on (change to public) on your profile. I wish I can post pictures here. But I am not so good with this.
    hey lok888 - you are good to go. thanks. i have not noticed any rust anywhere on my sorento yet. i have an 04 ex.
  • ghurkghurk Member Posts: 6
    Tads,

I appreciate your perspective on Kia & not to split hairs but my grief is with Kia Canada, not a bad dealer. My service manager at Donnelly Kia has been very supportive of my cause, but it's the company that refuses to stand behind their product and offer a fair warranty repair.

Unbelievable as this sounds, they are quibbling over a difference in repair cost of $325 Canadian. They will authorize a $175 partial-fix, but not the $500 repair the service manager recommends (incl a full tailgate repaint to ensure the rust doesn't reappear).

So, now my dilemna is do I keep an SUV that develops rust after 8 months & hope nothing else goes wrong, or do I sell and cut my losses by going to Honda or Nissan. How can I trust any of their warranty claims when they refuse to fix the results of a design flaw that occurred so early in the vehicle's life-cycle?

Cheers,

ghurk307
    I've seen this happen to Landbruisers due to corrosion in the barrel but the Sorento ?
    Is your Sorento Auto or Manual ? If its a automatic then it may well be that the cable that runs from the gear selector lever to the ignition is either loose or streched ? The idea of the cable is to stop you from removing the key while the car is in drive ie "D" or anything other than "P" park so the car wont roll away I suppose ?
    This is assuming that the Sorento uses this system like many other automatics do.

Anyone else know if the Sorento has this cable ?

Tads
    i just my sorento, the gearshift (auto trans) must be in park to move key to lock position
    (to remove key) i could not tell if to was a cable or electrical system.
    so my theory that the tumbler was bad would only hold true if you can get the key into the lock position and then the key would not come out
    if the key will not go into the lock position something is wrong with the interlock system from the gearshift to the key switch may it be electric or mechanical
    for the 2nd time...it is DOA, with in 2 months, only 4.75 volts in batt. i though i might have left the interior lights on the first time, so i charged the batt and called the dealer and told them and explained the problem and i did not think i left the inside lights on. his responce was if it happens again call kia roadside assistance, well it happed again nothing was left on.
    as i type the "hook" is on it's way.
    i do not want to here from the dealer '"duh we could not find anything"
    this "NEW" vehicle needs to be dependable
    :mad:
    well i just heard from the dummys at the dealer, they said the cause of the problum was the trailer wiring and controler i installed.....so i said why did it do the samething befor i installed these items ? no answer....i said how much current are these owner installed items drawing ? the mechanic did not say...well go find out...no...why not...sielnce.
    i said the problum is in the vehicle go look again, if you and the mechanic don't want to look for an erratic problum and quickly want to blame the owner for a properly installed brake controler i don't think much of your dealership.....more silence, if you don't like our service call kia customer service, so i did, as a matter of record, the person on the other end said he called the dealer but could not get through the the service dept, BS!
    so what was ther final fix for the problum.
    they found no current draw other than normal (my stuff included)
    they just charged the battery !

they also charged my battery for good fight when i go to pick it up!!

p.s. this is the same brake controller i use in our astro van and it's batt has never gone dead !
    i have been a mechanic all of my working life and i can spot a dumb one....they have at least one at that dealer!!
    :mad:
  • grizzrockgrizzrock Member Posts: 2
    IT can be fixed, my kia dealer knew the problem and agreed to fix it right there! If I remember they removed the driveshaft yoke and changed/repacked/greesed it and put back together. (something like that?) Its was doing the thump VERY badly before , and I have barely ever heard it now.... very happy. When it does thump now its a tiny click.... i wouldn't even notice it if I didn't know to listen for it.
    Updates on the rust problem... I sent an email to my dealer. I guess the service manager has spoke with Kia rep and both agreed to fix the rust problem on the tailgate near the rear license plate. The Kia rep did not see the rust in person, but the service manager did. He told I can schedule an appointment with the body shop for the repair. The repair is including re-paint the whole tailgate. It will take at least two full days. And a loaner will be provided. I will go to my dealer for an oil change this weekend and go over the work details.
  • kiatechkiatech Member Posts: 38
    Its cable if i remember correctly. Replace the cable and I bet the key issue will be resolved.
    :shades:
  • kiatechkiatech Member Posts: 38
    4.75 volts shown in the battery after laod testing it. It should have been replaced instead of charged.
    batterys go bad all the time regardless of manufacture.
    Enjoy the ride,its a good one.
    :shades:
  • alfer2005alfer2005 Member Posts: 1
    Ditto here...the KIA mechanic drove the car (03-EX 4x4) and felt the thump.

He said the slip yolk needed lubricating because it was bone dry...they pumped it up with lube and glad to report my "thump" is now gone. Ok so I might feel a SLIGHT thump, but nothing to worry about.
    can you send my pixs of the rusted area to my email account thanks
    Can anyone who has rust to the side doors or rear hatch door of their Sorento, please email me the pictures. My email address is in my profile. Thanks Joboo1
  • beerbarrelbeerbarrel Member Posts: 4
    I left work today in two wheel drive.Next thing I know is that the 4wd lo light comes on.I then notice I have no overdrive.By the time a drove the twelve miles to my house the check engine light came on.I then tried to shift in and out of 4wd hi and lo and then 2wd and it made no difference.I disconnected the pos batt terminal thinking the computer was messed up,but that also did not work.I also checked the transfer fuse but no luck.I called kia and will be getting it serviced in two days.I will leave a follow up post.
    I had a bad experience with my '04 EX 4WD (TOD) almost two years ago. I felt the car was in 4Lo mode while I was driving in ATUO mode. It was only 7500 miles. There was no indicate light on for 4Lo or Check Engine light on or no bad fuse. It just drove like I was in 4Lo gear, especially when I was making turns. And it drove really slow when driving straight because it couldn't get out of the 4Lo mode.

I took it to my dealer next day and they had to replace the transfer case. There was some kind of internal failure. They told the easy way to fix it is to replace it. My car was in the shop for few days.

beerbarrel - Let us know if this is a transfer case failure?
    update to my dead sorento, went back to the dealer. the mechanic made the same tests but did not know how may amps it was drawing (my installed brake controller)
    i don't know why he could not figure it out (duh)
    i gave the mechanic the complete story....i will make this short, the batt went dead below 5 volts before i installed the brake controler, and after
    after explaining to the mechanic the whole story and the fact the the service manager did not want to here the whole stroy at the time it was towed in, the mechanics responce was "well she is new at her job" i also explained that even before i installed the brake controller, with the key out of the ignition and the doors closed i was hearing a cherping from the sorentos horns (bearly hearable) every appx 15 minuets. i had forgot this
    after proving to the mechanic that the brake controller would take 263 days to discharge the battery to 10.5 he agreed.
    he also agreed that the draw was in the wehicle somewhere else....so just to do something...the swapped the horn relay with the fog light relay, at lest something was done and my installed accessories were elliminated as the cause
    can i depend on this vehicle camping i rural pa. with no cell phone service.....long hike to the nearest phone? but oh well i am a hiker!
  • beerbarrelbeerbarrel Member Posts: 4
    Here is the follow up I promised.The next morning I started the sorento and the 4wd lo light was out,but the check engine light was still on.I drove it to work on the highway and goosed it a little and the check engine light went out.The next day I took it to KIA and they said they could still read the codes without the lights being on;They stay in memory.The codes were po700 (tcm malfunction) and code 100 (encoder motor jumped into 4wd on own.)I also told them I lost power steering twice. They now have ordered me an electric motor assembly,a solenoid assembly kit and a power steering solenoid. I was very pleased with there service and concern. ;)
    Hey All

After all the problems I have had with my 2004 Kia Sorento EX and just hearing the numerous issues that have been address in this forum, I decided to trade my vehicle in for a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4 door. I will never buy another Kia or Hyundai again. Well, I hope all of you find a happy and satisfying solution to your Sorento problems. Signing out Joboo1
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    OK for those interested I had dropped off my wife’s Sorento Friday for some maintenance. Had oil changed and front and rear diff fluids drained and refilled as well as some other items. I had mentioned about the rear end thumping and the service manager has heard and done some things to repair it. First he showed me the TSB on removing a spacer on the rear universal joint. I believe this was one of the solutions mentioned in an earlier post but the TSB refers this to some 04 and 05 models that it creates a binding in the drive shaft so they remove a spacer to correct it. But what he did on mine was what he has done on others. First he has the tech clean and then lube the Slip Yoke as many have had done but the tech also tightens up any of the rear suspension mounts, which he feels helps out with this problem. Now we drove it around most of the weekend and we didn’t notice the thumping so I hope it helps.
  • hambyhamby Member Posts: 17
    joboo1,

Good luck at back at the Toyota dealership. Dont believe you ever brought anything of value to the board. Could it be that you just wanted to bring down the Kia/Sorento name?
    Trust me, Kia does not need me to tarnish its name just read all the problems/issues on this site.
  • nuselou921nuselou921 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2005 Sorento as you are having, my battery has died 4 times so its going in tomorrow for the dealer to look at, I'll let you know more when I know....not to mention that it wouldn't give me my key back either. :confuse:
  • hambyhamby Member Posts: 17
    I have read the posts. For the money there is no better value than the Sorento. I suspect you work for a competing car dealership and just trying to trash the Sorento.

PS: Thought you were "signing off"?
    quote from nuselou921

I have the exact same problem with my 2005 Sorento as you are having, my battery has died 4 times so its going in tomorrow for the dealer to look at, I'll let you know more when I know....not to mention that it wouldn't give me my key back either.

keep us posted as to your dead battery problem....i do not think mine has been resolved
  • jackrsjackrs Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this resolved? Mine is doing the same thing and the dealship is cueless!
    Thanks,