Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ANY QUESTIONS for dave40 aka CHEVY LOVER

markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
What do you do for a living?
Tagged:

Comments

• peterm1peterm1 Member Posts: 16
    Markbuck
    I think Dave40 works for Chevy.

Dave40
    Whats the good word on 2500 delivery? I've had my Sierra 2500HD EXT Long Bed on order since October. Last my dealer would tell me is they are waiting on the NV4500HD 5spd (and he had the gall to ask if I would switch to auto!)
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Sounds like a guy letting off too many brain farts!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Enough....

of the fart jokes. This is a family site. With some exceptions, I generally try to let the conference participants determine the tone of the conference. But there ARE limits. And if a complaint is made, a useful note may be erased because of the presence of a word or two. Guide yourselves accordingly.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickup, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    peterm1 - Cleaning the johns at a GM plant?

Dave40 - why should we listen to you? What is your expertise? My parrot can talk too, you know.........
    But I wouldn't go to him for advice on much.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Q. Why did dave circle the block 26 times?

A. The right blinker on his new chevy was stuck on....
    Key word in dave40 remarkes, " IMAGINARY".
    Yeh I know, chevys got alot of problems to solve!
    Glad to see your on there case!
  • jerryb2jerryb2 Member Posts: 14
    this question is way off the topic and i hope i am not using bad maners for asking but:

I need to find out about a car that my grandfather drove in the late 50's that we called the "Henry J". Any advice on where to find out about such a vehicle?? thanks
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    What, stay on topic....

i.e. Pickups? What a novel thought?

The "Henry J" was built by Kaiser Motors Corps (as in Kaiser Aluminum, etc?), the company has been out of business for a long time (like De Soto I think they went under in the '50's), and the car was a "classic" when I was in high school - late 60's.

Meanwhile, back in Pickups....
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    Have you driven a Ford lately?

(Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist.)
    FPF,
    I think that Henry J was out of business by '51 or '52. A neighbor of mine had one. I always thought that the rear of the car looked like the part of the horse that went over the fence last.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Why on earth would you want to steal a Ford?
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Because Ford makes a great truck, stevek.
    Gee, dave, I didn't realize you were such a bigot.

Grow up.

Ladyblueski
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    You didn't?
    No, stanford. Guess I'm just one of those dumb, loveable, trusting Pollacks.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I like the way the cloth seats are stitched differently on the Sierra better than the Silverado's. I didn't notice anything else different on the interior. Is there? I like the alloy wheels on the Silverado better. As for the front ends, they both look nice. We all know it's a GMC truck, but it's a Chevy motor!
  • etuffly2etuffly2 Member Posts: 29
    dave40 - is it true the new Chevy 6.6 direct injection is rated conservatively at 600 FT-LBS of TORQUE. Isn't this more than Ford can get out of a much bigger engine without adding expensive aftermarket kits that run into the thousands of dollars. Why not just get a CHEVY and be done with it?

P.S. Use the SPELLCHECK option before posting dave40. You get in a hurry (I understand your enthusiasm for CHEVYS) and forget stuff. Let's try to have a professional CHEVY topic here and make that Dodge salesman envious. He's selling an inferior product to Clinton supporters who want to be "misled".
    I agree the headlights are nicer on the Sierra. Will have to look again at the chrome molding. On the Silverado, some of the moldings are black, others are painted body color.
    Never mind etuflyy2, that I asked you where you got info on the 6.6l diesel. Knowing it came from dave40 just reasires me more that it's not even remotley true. CUMMINS NOW AND FOREVER!
    The real question is that of transmission strength. Both the International and the Cummins diesels have more strength natively than they do in the one-ton trucks -- both are limited because of the transmissions. For reference, the Cummins 5.9L ISB is rated at 250hp(2500rpm), 660lb.ft(1600rpm). and the International (Navistar) T444E is rated at 250hp (2300rpm), 650lb.ft.(1500rpm). Neither one of them is currently used to its potential.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the Isuzu engine posted similar numbers. The market for mid-level transportation diesels is very close technically these days.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    dodgeram

I've heard the 500-600 ftlbs of torque from a couple of different places: Internet short reports, local fuel injection company's learning about the new diesel (mechanics, specs, performance), and a dealer friend who's been to national chevrolet conferences and meetings. so yes, 600 ftlbs is very real possiblity. sorry about the ego.

ford and dodge can't build a transmission to handle that kind of torque, thats why their motors aren't pumped any more. The new Chevrolet HD's will have an Allison transmission in it, although i'm wondering if they are designing a chevrolet specific transmision, or if they are using on of their current ones.

For those who don't know, Allison makes large industrial transmissions for everything from the 444T on school buses to 5000 ftlb caterpillar oil rig engines.

actually my dad's '94 chevy 6.5 did 0-60 in about 12-13 seconds. the truck weighed about 14000# empty, had a 4.56 rear in it. engine ran good until you hit 4th gear which was much too tall of a ratio. 0-50 was pretty quick for a truck that heavy, but 50-60 was a struggle. the new 454 runs a little faster.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    cdean,

If the new GM HD trucks do use an Allison, bet your last money it will be a new unit just for that truck. Remember, regular Allisons don't have a "Park" position, but that will be expected on trucks of this class. Medium and heavy trucks and buses with Allisons must park in Neutral and set the parking brake.
    that's right Kcram, thanks.
  • DoccersDoccers Member Posts: 16
    Dodge is going to be using the Daimler-benz transmissions soon, which will be more than able to compete with the Allison ones.

Rumor has it that the new Dodge power wagon will use a CAT diesel backed by a Mercedes tranny.

And Dodge (and ford) still use real axles up front. (IFS is for Cars.)

and the deal with isuzu still isn't final; it certainly wouldnt be the first time chevy's blown a good deal, they seem to make it their specialty.
  • tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    I believe the deal with Isuzu is final. Just went past the new GM/Isuzu diesel engine plant on wed. Still dirt floors but most of the outside structure appears to be up. I still don't think Cat will put a diesel in a dodge and back away from their current deal with GM. Then why would dodge pull out of a good deal with cummins? The ford/navistar is a good combination. Looks like we will all benefit from the new, more even, competition. More choices, better pricing.
    The CAT engine was in the Dodge powerwagon concept truck. As it stands, that truck wouldn't even properly support that engine in real life. Anyway, why would CAT putting engines in a Dodge mess up any deals with GM? In the real truck market most makers offer many engines -- in the F650/F750 for instance you can get a CAT, a Navistar, or a Cummins: your choice.
    you won't see any CATS in any pickup truck for a LONG time because GM, Ford, and Dodge all have long term deals with Isuzu, Navistar and Cummins.

The power wagon was a CONCEPT truck. they make concept vehicles to stir the public up, getting looking your way. While the Power Wagon has certainly achieved that goal, Not one concept vehicle has EVER made it to the showroom floor. maybe some characteristics that the public specifically liked will be seen, but thats about it.

GM and Isuzu is written in stone.
    GM's new 6.6 direct injection mated with the Allison transmission has been code named LEVIATHON.

dodgeram - my info is correct - have relatives in the business - sell that Dodge now before resale hits rock bottom next year with the obsolete Cummins. Change your screen name to CHEVYRULES!

Doccers - IFS is for civilized BRUTES. Horse drawn wagons had straight axles and they aren't used much anymore. Had they put IFS on the wagons they'd still be in use.

dave40 - it's a 6.6 V8. Keep after 'em buddy. They'll all be CHEVY LOVERS next year!!!

6.6 LEVIATHON kicks butt!!!
    stanford - almost forgot, you're talking semis and we're talking about pickups. It's common knowledge that when ordering a semi you can order most any powerplant you want. Let's stick to pickups here, specifically the new CHEVY LEVIATHON - it's going to eat the rest of the pickup market alive. (ok now I've insulted everybody and I'll stop) Don't get too serious on me now guys. Baseball, apple pie, and CHEVY TRUCKS!!!
  • DoccersDoccers Member Posts: 16
    IFS is used on cars, not trucks. :) Travel the world, the most capable vehicles all have live axles, and that's not coincidence. :)
  • peterm1peterm1 Member Posts: 16
    So, Dave40, when are we going get the lowdown on your new truck (you do have it now, yes)?
    You all think dodge is dooesn't have a tranny that can take the cummins power, well let me update all you people and get things straight. Cdean you said allison makes really good heavy duuty tranny's right? We'll suprise suprise, you won't have to wait until next year to get one. Come on down to your local dodge dealer, because in the next month or two you will be able to get the cummins with a new 6SPD AUTOMATIC TRANNSMISSION BUILT BY ALLISON. This is a 99% done deal. Chrysler will make the announcment in the coming days or weeks. So now well see how much the cummins can dish out, because they got the powertrain that can handle it. Mabye GM might not be getting a allison trany anymore. Even if they still are who cares, dogdge now has the looks, the power, the TRANNY, and the best built truck around. So is there anything you guys want to whine about the dogdge for not having, looks like they got it all!
    Want proof, go to www.car-truck.com chrysler edition, they have been right on every rumor to come from crysler so far. Very reliable information.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Chevrolet/GMC are recalling nearly the entire line of extended cab/4x4 trucks. The gerabox, I believe, wasn't attached correctly, and may fall off causing a lack of steering control. Here's the info from NHTSA:

"Some of these vehicles have a lower than specified torque
    on all three of the steering gear to frame attachment bolts. The bolts can loosen over time allowing the steering gear to move.
    This loosening can result in some unresponsive steering feel and some noise to the driver.

If this condition is ignored, the steering gear to frame can wear and/or fatigue the attaching bolts to the point of breakage or
    the bolts backing out. If all the bolts break or back out, the steering gear would separate from the frame resulting in a loss of
    steering control. "

Cheers,
    Ryan
    was this on the C/K 4x4 only? Silverado/Sierra?
    Dumb question here...

Why wouldn't Dodge pull out of the Cummins deal?
    Why would Dodge do a deal with Allison?

Remember they are now part of MB. MB makes all kinds of diesels and certainly knows how to make automatic transmissions.

I don't know if that's good or bad, ain't never owned one.
    But doesn't allison make a stronger tranny?
    6sp automatic, can't wait to see how that works.
    Than Benz? I'm from Europe -- you may not see many in the Americas, but you see MB heavy-duty trucks all over the place there. These folk know diesels and the associated parts needed to keep 'em happy.

I love the idea of the 6-speed. If Dodge would make a crew-cab, and offer the 6-speed auto, I'd probably sell my '99 F350 and flip to a Dodge.
    stanford... I'll hold you a place in line, if it happens.
    i'll trust any MB product, they don't fall short of any goals. I saw a pair of V-8 (very large bore) Mercedes diesel engine in a 65 foot yacht one time.
    If i remember correctly they were over 1000 HP. I couldn't believe a V8 could put up numbers like that.

We had also priced a rebuild for that set of motors at $30K just for a single rebuild kit!!
    Pins your head to the back of the seat and makes you squeal with delight.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    cdean: Sorry 'bout that - another example of thinking something and not typing it. It's on the 1999 Silverado/Sierra series, extended cab 4x4. Not the C/K. HTH.

Cheers,
    Ryan
    The tow/haul button isn't a great feature - it's an excuse. As in: "Our engines have no low-end torque to speak of, so we are going to keep you in a lower gear longer to make up for it." This, of course, at the expense of transmission life because you'll be wound out into the 4000s on the tach regularly.
  • page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    dave40...I think Dodge and Ford come to this very site to steal GM secrets.Be careful,this is still classified information!They might figure out how to build something other than a boat anchor.
    ok dave40 - you lose:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/news/n012999.htm

So who has the Allison first, Mr. General Motors?
    Hate to bust your bubble Commander Dave40, but my 270 hp LS 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 5.3L 4.10 has a better power to weight ratio than your awesome 300 hp Truck Force support vehicle. Of course the awesome Truck Force hauls the freight better.
    kcram

I don't understand why you say the engines have no low end torque. At 1500 and at 2000 rpms, all the Chevy engines have more torque than the engines they replaced. I know the 5.3 and 6.0 have more torque under 2000 rpms than the Ford 5.4, I can't remember offhand what the 360 pulls below 2000 rpm, but i would say the GM is equal to or greater than th 5.9 gas in that range.

These engines do run in higer rpms, but that is because they ACTUALLY HAVE TORQUE AT THOSE RPMS. all engines before had no torque at 4000 rpms, so they had to shift to get useable power. The GMs carry over 300 ftlb (depending on which engine) all the way up to 5000 rpm, while ford and dodge hardly carries HALF of that torque.

Its hard to explain without putting your foot into it once. If you drive one, you really notice no difference in driveabiility or take off power from any other motor, other than the fact you have a lot of damn power.
    cdean,

My point was simply this. Torque is multiplied with the transmission gear ratio. If Ford and Dodge don't feel a shift delay is necessary, then they are confident that their engines can upshift without losing momentum, which is what that bottom-end torque provides. Torque-curves notwithstanding, the GM engines may have a flatter torque curve and the torque may last longer (Corvette heritage showing here), but if the other brands are higher where the average trucker is going to drive, then that evens the field quite a bit. If you want to drive up around the 4000 rpm mark, then yeah, the GM trucks will feel great, but I can't think of too many people who frequently tow or haul who want to always rev that high (or get the load going that fast that quickly).

Don't let my current ownership of a diesel think I'm jaded. I never let my F150s (302 V8) rev that high - I preferred to have them upshift. Acceleration was never a point for me in buying a truck. Maybe that just makess me an "old-schooler" - I miss manual hubs, too.
    I might be wrong, and I'm sure I'll hear about it if I am, but doesn't the tow/haul button just increase line pressure inside the transmission much the same way that a shift kit does? Only with the button you can switch it back. The Ford E40D transmission can do the same thing with an aftermarket controller. I'm not sure about Dodge. I believe that Toyota has been doing this for more than 10 years on 4runners.
This discussion has been closed.