Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• nellie901nellie901 Member Posts: 2
    Yea so I dont know, I mean it's a great car dont get me wrong. Hopefully down the line, gas mileage will improve to at least over 20 would be nice b/c I have long commutes. There is no way to get more gas mileage is there? besides the air filter?
  • artzartz Member Posts: 6
    Service manager at the dealership looked at how the color had ran after they had cleaned the upholstery the last time. He said it should not have done that, which were my exact words. Fortunately he had some GM reps in that day that he showed the car to and they agreed so they were going to do some more research and check with other dealers to see if this was becoming more of a problem. It seems my dealer has now had another customer come in with the same complaint. So there are now at least two of us with the LIGHT TAUPE CLOTH where the color is bleeding after water has gotten on it. I think they will end up replacing my seat covers because the more they clean, the more blotches of color appear. :cry:
  • clariseclarise Member Posts: 3
    I bought a G6 GT June 05 - has everything except XM - LOVE MY CAR -However. . . I have had it in the shop for over 30 days in the past 6 month - To date these items have been replaced -
    - Entire power steering system (taken in three times before fixed)
    - Auto Headlight sensor (been taken in 4 times, currently in still not fixed)Headlights will not turn off during the day- they are blaming it on my window tint - Hello! Got the car in June - Tinted in June and no issue until Oct
    - 6 disc CD changer (CD changer error new one not working in shop again for this currently)
    - Two tires (due to power steering and alin issues)
    - Fornt right head cover and casing
    - Ign switch replaced - due to stutter start - and then all gages stopped working when the key was in on position -all gages acted like I had used remote start and never put in the key- Again, new one stating to do samethings and in the shop currently AGAIN)

I have been to two different dealerships, two different service managers - one that really sucked and one that is trying hard - I contacted GM back in Sept- Started the whole claim thing - they offered to extend the warranty to 60K. With the issues stating at 1750 miles - what is that going to do really?! Finally receive call from GM rep- only took 3.5 months and I wait. He was trying to offer me a 75k mile powertrain extended... NOT HAVING ISSUES WITH POWERTRAIN!

The best part - I asked the current service manager to tell me what day of the week my car was made . . . (This has become an on going joke at work ) You guessed it, MONDAY - I have a Monday car! :lemon:

THing is, I love this car. When it runs, it purrs. If so fun to drive and easy to handle. Good take off - It is my car and I love it-
    I'm not sure what is the next step - everyone else that I know that has one - no issues - Has anyone else had any kind of issues like these??!! :confuse:
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You have me curious about a few of your complaints: Auto Headlamps and gages.

With Auto Lights are you in headlight mode during entire day or only in morning/afternoon? Since the vehicle uses reduced intensity low beam headlights for DRLs, how do you usually detect that the vehicle is in Auto Light mode?

Regarding gages/ignition switch. What problem are you having again? The one where gages stop working? During a remote start not only are gages turned off but also the odometer display and most telltale indicators. It that the condition of instrument cluster or is it only an issue with the gages?

Thx
    The auto headlights stay on morning - afternoon - doesn't have a specif time - I know that they are on because my dash lights dim - I can't read the radio or any other info on the DIC due to them being dimmed with bright sun lightr. Condision has been dup at the dealership -
    Gages - Not one stopped working all did - no odometer - RPM- gas level - temp - it was just like I had used the remote start and never turned the key - but was driving - took to the dealership at that exact time - they saw first had - ran it through the comp "NO ERRORS" The thing is- like everything else that is ever wrong with it - if you turn it off and then back on .... everything is fine :sick:
    Do you drive around with your foglights on all the time?
    No- fog lights not an issue- hardly ever use them. This is all about the headlights - and the fact they don't turn off in direct sun light... along with all the other issues
  • sndgnn1sndgnn1 Member Posts: 1
    For a V6 that's not way off. My average in city is 16.8 to 22.1 depends on driving habits etc. I have gotten an average of 36 or better on the highway,if I behaved. After each fillup do not forget to reset the monitor. HAS any one had an issue with getting replacement windsheild wipers?????? The basic $4 refill is unavailable. After many calls to customer service AND dealership parts dept's I was able to order new wipers. $16.80 each (that was @cost $24 is the retail)!!!! Why is this car been out a year and replacement wipers not available??? Seems like poor planning or a supplier issue. Also any problem with the 6 disc cd changer when it's hot or cold outside? Seem to get alot of errors when the weather is extreme.
  • rbwillrbwill Member Posts: 2
    I was going to change the oil filter on my wifes G6 with the 4cyl in it, and at first and second glance, I don't see the oil filter. I looked from on top, and from under the car (as far as I could with out putting it on a lift)
    I feel kind of foolish, having over 20 years servicing machines from big John Deere Tractors to briggs & Strattons, and many different kind of vehicles in between.
    I should be able to spot the oil filter.
    Does anybody on here service there own cars? The Pontiac G6 to be more specific? If so, Where the heck is the oil filter? and how do you get to it?

Thanks
  • vitavita Member Posts: 10
    it's actually in a great place. look to the right of the engine (driver side) where the engine cover opens up toward the front of the vehicle. straight down you'll see a black cap with a 1 or 1.5 inch nut built into the cap. you take that off, and the filter is in the block, not your traditional type.

you can get a special tool to remove the cap for a small chunk of change that should fit in there nicely.

on my last car ('04 Saturn Ion Redline), it was in the same location buried beneith the supercharger. needless to say the location under the supercharger and the requirements of 7.5 quarts of synthetic oil cause them to charge $80/oil change. that wasn't cool, even doing it yourself would cost around 50.

once you have the tool (or if you have one) to remove the cap, you'll be set to go. i don't think you need to remove the engine cover, but i could be wrong...
  • rbwillrbwill Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! While looking I did talk to a tech at the dealer, and was told to be careful not to strip the cap. He said something like a 10mm socket should do it (sounds too small). I however have not gone back to look and/or work on it as of yet. I have plenty of tools, but it always seem I need another special one.
  • mwestern05girlmwestern05girl Member Posts: 4
    I have no suggestions, but have a few of the same problems.

~replaced 2 tires already-the excuse was they were 17 inch tires and they don't last that long

~stiff steering only in the early morning when it's cold

~stutter starting

along with many other minor problems~ i'ts just the point and the inconvience of doing without the car and time to take it in

The dealership I went to had an excuse for everything. They did not fix anything other than the sunvisor covers and one is broke again already.

I love my car but for the cost I am very disappointed
  • cam05cam05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 G6, base model, and the smell of smoke is coming thru the vents periodically. The smell is getting into the material of the car and into my clothes as well. I took the car to the dealership, and it wasn't doing it. It comes thru in 'waves'....It may come thru every 15 minutes for about 30 second and you really smell it. Sometimes I feel it in my throat. It may go for hours without smelling, then it will start.... Sometimes I think it has to do with the catalytic converter. Has anyone else had this problem???
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I had the same smoke smell the first winter after I bought my 2000 Buick. Several seconds of smell at random times, when driving at town / suburbs. I was afraid it was coming from heated seats. I believe now it was just an outside smoke from fireplaces...
  • slacker584slacker584 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am interested in getting a G6 GT coupe and my question concerns the Monsoon stereo system that comes with it. Now, I like to expand the audio equipment in any car I have, basically replacing the stock stuff with aftermarket goodies. I've done this with the car I currently drive (02 Grand Am SE), but I hear that this can sometimes cause difficulty in GM Cars with the Monsoon stereo system in it. Is this true? What can I expect if I want to replace the system with aftermarket equipment (e.g. new head unit, speakers, subs)? Thanks.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    If you replace everything not sure what the problem would be? As long as there are aftermarkets that are made to fit the holes.
    It isn't so much the Monsoon system - it is the head unit because of the integrated driver info center functionality. Aftermarket stuff is available to replicate that operation as well, it just limits your choices more.
    Thanks e2, what aftermarket head units are able to replicate the integrated driver operations? Thanks for your help.

I see by your profile that you have an 05 G6. Do you have the Monsoon system in it? If you do, what do you think of it?
    I am not much of an audio fanatic and so the Monsoon system was perfectly adequate for my purposes.

As far a aftermarket systems I hate to point to any specific one since I don't have any first hand knowledge of them. I just have seen other folks post about them and have seen a few links to suppliers and pictures of their installed systems.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the aftermarket equipment would need to tie into the vehicles serial data system and so it had better work correctly because that same data bus is used to communicate a lot of important information required for vehicle operation.
    The last thing you said about the data bus I completely understand, my 02 Grand Am lost its "chimes" after I replaced the head unit on that because I didn't purchase some kind of adapter I needed in order for the chimes to work with an aftermarket head unit.
  • 72chevelle72chevelle Member Posts: 8
    Metra makes a replacement for the DIC. From what I read, it provides functionality but doesn't look that great (it does not match the dash etc). I found some info at http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19.

All of this would not be such a PITA if GM would simply put RCA line-outs in their stereos, except if you were crazy about replacing the head unit. It would be nice to be able to add amps and replace speakers without losing functionality of your car.
  • manualgtpmanualgtp Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced any chatter from the clutch when releasing? Mine does this frequently between 1st and 2nd and sometimes between 2nd and third. The service manager experienced the problem on the test drive, but found nothing wrong with the clutch. They noted the file "no problem found" and said to wait until a TSB was issued. They also had to reseal the power steering as it was leaking on one side (hydraulic steering), but would not give any additional info or explain the repair. Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Thanks
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I had heard mixed things about the G6 but after renting a 2006 V6 model this weekend, I have to say I am impressed. Rear leg room (and front) was excellent, the car rode great and the quality thud of the doors was truly impressive. If it were only a little bigger, it would be perfect but I still think I will consider it for our next sedan. Anyone looking for a midsize sedan should definitely take a look.
  • obriend21obriend21 Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunately, this is one area where Pontiac (and GM as a whole) is giving up sales. I would love to get a G6 4cyl with leather - it would have everything I need. I sit in traffic on most days, so a V6 is really not needed, and real-world mileage would certainly be better (my Grand Am with the old 2.4L gets 25mpg in mixed, mostly city driving - and it's rated at 22/30). The G6's competitor's offer this combo - my friend just got an Accord EX 4cyl with leather - so Pontiac should offer base and GT models with the option of a 4 or 6 cyl in each.

I may have to wait for the Saturn Aura Greenline, with the 4cyl/simple hybrid - hopefully that car will be available with leather.

By the way, I think the 2.4L 4cyl in the G6 is rated at 167hp, the 2.4L in the Accord 166hp (both ~10hp stronger than a Camry 2.4L)
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Even though these GM 6 cylinders are very efficient, I still would want a four cylinder with a manual/stick transmission which is not offered. This is the reason that this car is no longer on my list.
  • eduobleeduoble Member Posts: 2
    I am renting a Pontiac G6 from Avis; I want to disable the horn from activating when I lock or unlock the car doors. I'm sure this info is in the Owner's Manual; however, Avis did not provide the Owner's Manaul to the G6 that they gave me. Could someone please provide me with instructions on how to disable the horn? Much appreciated!
    -Clayton
    Use the Driver Info Center

When vehicle is stationary and in Park push the MENU button until the setting you want to modify is displayed. In your case it will be "LOCK HORN ON" and "UNLOCK HORN ON". When you see it displayed press and hold the ENTER button until you see the display change to "OFF"
  • eduobleeduoble Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! That did the trick!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    How do you like your rental?
    G6 improves compared with Grand Am: In contrast to the Pontiac G6's good performance in the frontal test, its predecessor Grand Am was rated poor. When the Institute tested a 1999 model, the driver's survival space wasn't maintained very well, the steering wheel moved up toward the driver, and a high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the pillar behind the driver seat. Intrusion also contributed to high forces on the dummy's right leg.

"The performance of the G6 is dramatically better," Lund says. The structure was maintained very well, there was minimal intrusion into the occupant compartment, and most injury measures were low.

This car is rated acceptable for side impact protection, but only when equipped with optional side curtain airbags designed to protect occupants' heads. All injury measures recorded on the driver dummy were low, but forces recorded on the rear passenger dummy indicated the possibility of rib fractures or internal organ injuries. Without side airbags, the G6 is rated poor in the side test. This car earns the second lowest rating of marginal for rear crash protection.

here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/06/crash-test-results-ford-fusion-disappoint- s-video/
  • azhawkeyeazhawkeye Member Posts: 2
    I recently rented a G6 GTP sedan while out of town.
    The one major criticism is the poor visibility/blind spots.
    Looking over my left shoulder to merge/change lanes was difficult, and the rear window seemed a bit small.

Otherwise, it had plenty of power and nice interior.
    I liked the XM satellite radio with the steering wheel controls. It was a nice car, but I don't think I would buy one.
    they fix the visibility issue.

Seems odd to put so much in a car and then screw up with something like that. Hopefully most people do not have this problem.

Did you rent a coupe or sedan?
  • polishprinsesspolishprinsess Member Posts: 1
    I have been over the G6 owner's guide. Is there a trunk light equipped? If so, how do you turn it on??? :blush:
  • tim66tim66 Member Posts: 22
    Yeppers..Look under the deck directly in front of the trunk lid..I had to hunt for mine. :)
    and you turn it on by opening the trunk :)

The switch that turns it on is contained in the trunk latch.

When you see a convertible you will find the lamp is installed on a side trim panel since there is no rear package shelf.
  • ajay5ajay5 Member Posts: 10
    I am getting ready to replace my 03 Grand Am with a G6. I thought what I wanted to get would be a simple matter. The 4cyl would have enough power for me and I wanted Onstar, leather, sunroof and the monsoon audio. But, you can't get Onstar unless you get the GT. I feel that pushing the price to over 26,000 is a little high. All Saturns come with Onstar and I can get an ION3 for a little over 19,000 with all my options. They are even offering 0% for 48 months now. I don't see why I can't get everything I want on the G6 for a few thousand more.
    Perhaps with the 07 G6s, you will see some new options. This year was the first with the 2.4L so they may be feeling out demand. A lot of people that buy I4 sedans tend to buy base cars from what I have seen.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    a GXP "concept" version of the coupe will be shown at the NY auto show. It will offer a 270hp V6 and appearance upgrades. I hope they offer this model in coupe and sedan styles in the future.

For 2007 I would expect the G6 to get the new GM radio and possibly a 6 speed auto on GTP models. Since the Aura is getting the 6 speed I am optimistic that the G6 will get it this year as well.
    2007 hasn't been released but info on the GXP coupe has been released. I would suspect the 270hp 3.9L is going to be a reality in the near future. Hopefully it will replace the 240hp GTP engine for 2007 or 2008.
    the GXP will lose that rediculous Rear Wing. It is not a japanese car, and defenantly a more "grown up" coupe. That wing appropriatley belongs on a Cobalt.

I am not sure how i feel about the 270hp 3.9L. Is this the engine with the new 3-valve heads? B/c if its not then i cannot see how GM kept the fuel economy in check (the 6 speed?)

The current 3.9L, while refined is not so good on fuel economy (18/26), if they just made it more powerful meybe this would get even worse :surprise: IMO fuel economy in the high end range is what keeps many shoppers away.

If GM really has this new 3.9L with 270hp, then it needs to go into the Buick Lucern V6 and in the mid level Impala RIGHT NOW. This enine meets or beets Toyota and Hyndai in the power debt by a few hp. It is exactly what GM needs, a 270hp V6 Impala for 25K would be hard to resist.

The engine also needs to go into the Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent, those two are badly in need of competetive power. The current 3.9L is enough to keep the cars on the radar screen, but with 270hp it will drive home sales!
    I would expect the 3.9 with 270hp to find it's way into a few GM products by next year. I wouldnt expect to see it this year. Hopefully the equninox will get the 3.9 or 3.6 for 2007 as an optional engine.

I think eventually the G6 may offer the four cylinder, the 240hp engine in the GT and the 270hp engine in the GXP.
    leave GTP? You know, GTP used to be the top of the line. I don't really understand why GM chose to do a GXP when they could have just done all the mods to a GTP and moved the GTP stuff down the line to the GT.

I hope to see more info on GM's new V6 soon :D
    The GTP did not have the HP and performance to earn the GXP monikor. With the big engine the G6 will join the Grand Prix with most likely the two base vehicles (4/6), the GT and GXP. Many of the GTP fluff stuff will probably end up on the GT.

Doubt if they will keep all those permutations/models.
    the GTP was the highest performance version. Hey, a really good thing about this new engine is that the GP just like you said, could get it. It probably should. I just really hope GM found a way to improve fuel efficiency. This car should not get below 20... at least 19 city.

I also think the GXP is a bit overdone for my tastes. The 18inch wheels are perfect, the 19's on the GXP? I dunno, if it moves people into the showroom i guess it doesn't hurt. I'd like the regular GTP with that 270hp v6 and a nav system, with 6speed auto and NO SHIFTERS ON THE STEERING WHEEL, PLEASE KEEP IT WITH THE SHIFT KNOB!

Cool car, I really think GM has got a good thing going for it with this G6 name. They have lots of styles and options to choose from.
    a softer ride. Not sure if thats what you want though since its a Pontiac...
    I dont think you will see a production GXP with 19" wheels anytime soon. If they follow the pattern of the grand prix they will create a GXP model and then move the GTP's engine down to the GT. There isnt really a reason for the current 3.5L engine so they might as well drop it unless it will get the upgrade featured in the Aura. They have gotten 24 more hp out of this engine which isnt bad. I am wondering if the 224hp motor will be shared by the G6/Impala/Malibu. If so, I would assume the 3.9engine would get a boost to separate it from the 3.5L.

As for mileage, the Aura is not better than the GTP in spite of the 6 speed auto. It is rated at 18/27.
    You may see bigger wheels. Hopefully GM is getting away form some of its conservativeness and allowing the bigger tires.
  • justinnike83justinnike83 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of the panoramic sunroof leaking and does it seem like something that would be prone to happening?
    • ABS is now standard on all models except base and the new SE.

• All Models now get the G6 GTP's Hydraulic Power Steering, except base and SE models.

•GTP models now have a standard 6 speed automatic transmission featuring manual shift mode.

• New standard GTP engine 3.6L 250 HP, V6, DOHC, VVT.

•Available heated cloth seats on all models.

• Radios now OnStar "Turn-By-Turn Navigation Capable".

• New optional 17" Black Chrome Tech wheels.

• New exterior colour - Blue-Gold Crystal

• New - Air Bags: Driver and Passenger, Frontal Dual Stage, Side
    Head Curtain Airbags and Passenger Sensing System standard on all models(except convertible).

• New wheels:
    17” x 7” 5-Spoke Facia Painted Wheel
    18" x 7” Aluminum Ultra-Bright Wheel

• Seat side airbags now optional on all models.

• 2.4L Ecotec standard on base and SE models.
    3.5L V6 standard on GT models.
    3.6L V6 standard on GTP models.
    3.9L available on all GT models with optional 6 speed manual.

• 3.9L engine changes:
    W/ 4 Speed Auto - 227hp
    W/ 6 Speed manual - 240hp.

GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:
    Includes 3.9L V6 (240HP), 18” Aluminum Painted Wheels, 6-Speed Manual Transmission,Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, Stabilitrak.

GT CONVERTIBLE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:
    Includes 3.9L V6 (227HP), 18” Aluminum Ultrabright Wheels, Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, Auto HVAC, Leather Front Heated Bucket Seats with 6-Way Power Driver’s Seat with Lumbar.