Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• mcgyver64mcgyver64 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to reset the oil change clock on a 2006 G6?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    There are a couple of different ways to do this.

The one described in owner's manual should be your first method.

The best way to see immediate effect is as follows:

Push the INFO button on radio until oil life remaining displayed. Not required but gives you additional confirmation.

Push the MENU button on radio 1 time so that it displays OIL LIFE RESET

Press and HOLD the ENTER button on radio for about 1 second. You should see "ACKNOWLEDGED" displayed on radio.

When this is all done the Oil Life % should now be 100%.

========================
    The other way which works on most recent GM vehicles....

With engine not running and ignition ON.

Again push INFO button on radio until Oil Life % displayed.

Press accelerator pedal to floor and release 3 times within 5 seconds. One...Two...Three.

That should also cause the display to reset to 100%.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    WHOA

THIS IS SO AWESOME! THIS CAR COULD HAVE ALWAYSE USED THE DOHC.

You see guys, this is what I mean. Those union consessions are finally starting to filter down GM's line, and GM can afford to put better engines in some of there cars.

I know consesions are not everything, but GM is doing all it can. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SIGN FOR PONTIAC. 250hp IS EXACTLY WHAT THE DOC ORDERRED! The engine is also DOHC, and has VVT! Very nice. I liked the 3.9 but i hope w/this engine the car gets better fuel economy.

THE DOHC IS ALUMINUM BLOCK, so meybe the car as a whole is lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a big issue as it affects HP and Fuel Economy. Excellent news GM. The descision to keep the 3.9L is wierd but i guess you can offer it at a lower price point so its okay, as long as there is no buyer confusion.

The new Airbags are also a good sign. Meybe they will imrove crash tests.

The ony thing (and its miniscule) the missing IPOD connectivity and NAV system with AT LEAST HID's, im not even talking Xenon. This is however, a very good sign for an already sharp looking and descent car.

The cool thing w/the steering is, it should improve the overall quality of the car. Meybe GM is working on a even more precise steering system that will replace the current unit.

Wow, I can't wait to read the reviews. :D
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I dont believe that is the exhaustive list of '07 improvements so I wouldnt be surprised if the G6 is getting the new radio with MP3 jack. Based on the info I saw there were additional '07 details that havent been released yet.

YOu will not see HIDs on this car so I wouldnt get my hopes up. GM does not put HIDs on non Caddy models.

The new GTP will be slightly lighter, but dont expect a real increase in economy. The Aura with the same powertrain is rated at 18/27 which is only 1pmg higher on the highway than thte 3.9 and 4 speed. Not too impressive. The car should be faster than the old GTP though. There is nothing wrong with the 3.9L engine. It has VVT and revs t 6400prm which is the same as the new Toyota 3.5L V6.
    the biggest reason for the change is that it lies in the mind of the consumer,

that DOHC is better than OHV. Thats it. I really wonder if the DOHC 250hp V6 will also go into the convertable version. I can't see why not. GM should get great economies of scale with this new engine by putting it in all these cars.

I really did not think GM's new hardtop stood much chance against the VW and Volvo, primariy due to its OHV powertrain. Now, with the DOHC option there are no more excuses, and trust me, every OUNCE of weight this car losses is a good thing.

Man, GM sure put allot of heavy materials in it, at least before.

Any links to the G6 changes?
    Order guide now posted for all models. Make sure you use print book button to see all Details
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Oh my God! GM may finally be getting it. Too bad because it may be too late. Cars other than Cadillac are scheduled to get a DOHC V6. About time, although I hope for GM it is not too late.
    and they are not "getting it", they knew it, but Labor is too expensive, they got a few cut backs from the UAW and GASP! they can afford to be more competetive now.

One thing I really like about the G6, esp. vs the Fusion is that the G6 has alwayse offerred manumatic, even in a 4 speed unit. FORD and some of its supporters keep saying that its a useless feature in that it does not replace a manual.

I test drove a Saab with a manumatic and after that I can honestly say i will not buy a car without it. It's too much fun, and in NY traffic I cannot deal with a manual. If I can get some feeling of more sport or controll of the car, while still keeping the auto the way it is, then thats the best of both worlds.

Many of Fords products seem lacking in this respect, even though they are so well executed otherwise. I can't wait to see some 2007 G6 GTP performance numbers.
    I like the changes they made for 2007. I am glad to see an auto dimming mirror has been added as well the powetrain changes. They have done a good job of updating this car every model year to keep it fresh. I just wish they had added the new radio like the Aura. Almost every GM product except the G6 and Malibu has the new head unit with MP3 jack.

The availability of the DOHC V6 in the G^ has nothing to do with labor cost reductions or anything like that. GM did not have enough capacity to expand the use of this engine until now. I'm sure they have known for years that it would be used in the Aura and G6 but the plant had to be expanded for that to happen.

It is not too late for the G6 or GM. In spite of intial reports claiming the was a flop it is selling pretty well now and will only grow more once the convertible is added to the mix. I dont know the figures on the Mazd6 but I'm pretty sure the G6 outsells the 6 and I know it outsells the Fusion. The press loves the Fusion but the G6 is really the better car for a number of reasons. Now that it offers the 6 speed and 250hp it is REALLY the superior car.
  • cbar34cbar34 Member Posts: 9
    Based on the changes as mentioned and in the now posted '07 Order Guide, it looks like the '07 G6 GTP gets the 3.6/252hp dohc engine (great)and the new 6spd manumatic automatic, but no 6spd manual. I know for '06 that there were a lot of complaints re the poor shifting quality of the 6spd manual so it looks like they are dropping it on the GTP in favor of the 6spd manumatic, but are now offering it as an option on the GT with the 3.9 liter engine. Have I read this correctly?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I really hope GM doesn't boost the price of the GTP to the moon for the 3.6/6-speed option.
    Yes you got that correct from what I saw. The manual transmission with 3.9L will be an optional powertrain upgrade for GT model sedan/coupe. The new GTP only comes with the 3.6 and 6 speed auto.
    Actually, that engine carries an 800 or more premium over the 3.9, letsnot forget GM origionally decided to go with this engine in the GXP g6, but now they can afford to put it in the GTP. THis is a big deal.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    How did you get $800? The 3.6 is about a $1500 premium over the 3800.
    well, then its 1500, i thought for the 3.9 with its VVT it would be different.

Either way, this is very goof news and i can't wait to read some reviews and see the car on the road.
    Could be $800 over the 3.9 VVT. Just do not know.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Why no 6-spd manual with the 3.6? After all that is the "performance" model. Stupid move. I know it is only a small % of the market, but the performance model needs a manual, period. Just another case of how GM just does not get it.

If the Saab 9-3 Aero can have a manual, why can't the G6 GTP w/ the 3.6?
    unfortunatley i agree with you,

It is a small % of the market, but since pontiac is GM's performance division, they need the transmission in there not for sales reasons, but for marketing purposes.

In fact, they could have a commercial with the GTP 6speed MANUAL going through the turns and outrunning the altima, accord and the rest of its competition, with interrior and exterrior photos, then at the end say

"oh yea, you can also get one in 6 speed auto with manual shift mode."

Its about the brands image.
    They are doing an exceptional job with this car. I hope that GM does not change the G6 name after a few years, but keep it around to build brand equity. Who now, would want to buy a used cavalier or grand am?

Meybe, just meybe GM is working on a better 6 speed manual transmission, and they want to waitso that the namual version of this car would have positive reviews.

Also, they could be delaying the launch of the manual GTP so as to keep the car fresh every year.

We can alwayse hope for the best. Its not just GM's future, its Americas future too.
    The GT with sport package is the performance model now. You get the same wheels and suspension tuning with the GT equipped with 3.9 engine. Honestly, there isn't going to be a big difference between the performance of the 3900 and the 3.6. It's only 12hp and 11 lb-ft of torque which wont even get you a tenth of a second in 0-60 time. The good news here is that the manual tranny continues to be available and it might actually be cheaper now that it's in the GT model.
    Oh i think you will see a diff in 0-60 time. Not just b/c its 12hp and 11 lb-ft, but b/c the engine is aluminum block so the car will be lighter and the 6 speed manumatic will put more power to the road then the 4 speed.
  • cbar34cbar34 Member Posts: 9
    I think the big news here is not so much the improvement in the 0-60 times (which are already pretty good with the 3.9), but that GM/Pontiac have decided to go with a world class dohc/ 6spd manumatic in this car. From all reviews and user comments I have seen, the present day 6spd manual in the GTP is pretty awful and while I love my stick shift cars, I'm not sure I'd love this one.

Going to the Caddy 3.6 plus the 6spd manumatic not yet offered in other GM FWD cars says Pontiac is really trying to get there with this car. Also the 3.9/6spd manual combo is still available to G6 buyers who want to try to shift this beast.
    The GTP has never been tested with an auto, but 0-60 is probably about 6.6secs based on the 6.2secs C&D got with the manual. If we are lucky that time will drop by .3secs or so with the new powetrain which is nice, but not dramatic. The difference in weight between the two engines will be neglible because OHVs are lighter due to having less parts. The 3900 may in fact be lighter and you can look at the weight of the Aura for proof that the new GTP will still be very heavy.

In all honesty the best thing about the new powertrain is that it will make the car seem more modern and on par with the Accord/Altima. The performance and mileage gains will be minimal.
    In all honesty the best thing about the new powertrain is that it will make the car seem more modern and on par with the Accord/Altima. The performance and mileage gains will be minimal.

We will see how this new modern engine sells. The only big difference will be price (higher) and I believe most customers will not know the difference. But it will be interesting to see.
    customers will not know the difference in terms of performance, but many people feel that OHV engines are inferior and will rule out any car that has one. Honestly, the 6 speed tranny is a bigger deal than the availability of the 3.6 engine. If they had coupled the 6 speed with the 3.9 I would still consider the car because the 3.9 is competitive with the Fusion, Sonota and Accord V6 models. The new powertrain will convince more import die hards to consider the G6, but most of them wouldnt consider a Pontiac under any circumstances even though the G6 is sportier and better styled than most Asian sedans.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    I see that G6 sales were down 18.1% compared to last April. Is the party over?
    Very good question. If I had to guess I would say that they have cut fleet. I do not have numbers for G6 but I see Lucerne fleet sales have really gone down this year.

Gone from 2111 in January '06 to 810 in March while retail has gone from 4000 to 7880. This at least shows fleet sales going down.

I do see that in April of last year they built 4400 G^'s while this April they built 16,000.

G6 does have $750 in incentives (excluding LE5) which I believe is much less than last year at this time.
    I dont know why the sales were down last month, but a reduction in fleet sales is probably a big factor. I would expect them to go up as the convertible and 3.6 become available later in the year. The other thing is that they havent done enough advertising for this car since the GTP and coupe became available last year. I live in Philly and I am seeing G6 base models all over the place so it seems to be doing well here.
  • noneillnoneill Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if cruise control can be added to the 2006 G6?
    You are not the first I saw that asked this. Was this a vehicle on the lot? Makes me think that the dealers need to order a few more 4 cylinder models with the cruise/remote keyless option package :)
  • noneillnoneill Member Posts: 11
    It was a vehicle on the lot. I work at the dealership in aftermarket and the customer who bought this vehicle wants cruise added. We have plenty other G6's with the cruise already in the car - just that this customer wanted this car. Apparently there is no accelerator cable but instead works off a switch to the computer that changes the speed. Needs a different cruise control than the one I normally would add.
    Well here are a few more tips on this (all just hypothetical, of course) ;)

Of course the steering wheel needs cruise switches added (new wheel).

There is a potential that the coil assembly might have to be replaced if one in the vehicle doesn't have the pass-thru pins for new cruise switch circuits. It bolts onto the stalk switch assembly.

You would need to run wires from coil assembly to BCM (4 total). They are not in original IP harness.

Finally BCM configuration has to turn on Cruise using Tech 2

Nothing has to be done underhood!

That is as much as I can say.

TAC won't support giving any more details than that most likely since this isn't a supported upgrade.
    I am interested in knowing the mileage for the 2007 GTP model. Edmunds has pricing but no mileage info. It seems like it will be 19/27 based on the mileage ranges shown for the G6 on Edmunds, but when you click on specific trim lines there is no mileage info posted.
    IMO mileage is the #1 reason ppl are looking away from this car (#2 is power, #3 is lack of nav/HID/voice activation etc), but it seems GM is addressing #1 and #2 with this new engine and tranmission combo.

2006 GTP G6: 240 HP 3.9L 18/26
    2007 GTP G6: 252 HP 3.6L 19/27 (Aura is 18/27)

I believe the G6 should get better mieage than the Aura since it is a bit lighter. The engine will be DOHC VVT so you can't say this is an inferrior car, along with 6sp auto it will have 1 up on the honda and do well against cars from VW and Mazda.

Very important will be smoothness at idle and engine note at acceleration. If these improve than the car will be significantly better. The fact that you can get this combo in the coupe and hopefuly the convertable is awesome.

Now they need to adjust for the nack of NAV and HID's. AT LEAST put in an MP3 Jack. This is so cheap and convenient, GM should not loose a single sale due to the lack of this feature.

P.S. it would be cool if they put in a multi card SD/Flash memory slot, so you can play music straight from your memory cards, and view photos on your nav screen!

Will GM take the lead? Inifity has already put a hardrive in one of there (G35?) upcomming cars. THis would be a cheaper and more practical alternative for a non-premium make.

Also, how about helling out .50 cents and giving us a cool looking engine cover, thats what makes it to the MAGS...

Sry, don't mean to rant here.
    Do not expect HIDs or Nav on this car anytime soon. GM doesnt put Nav in many of it
    its non-cadillac vehicles right now. I'm not saying it's right, but thats how it works. I dont know why the G6 wont get the new radio for 2007 but I suspect that the G6 will get a modified interior next year when the new Malibu comes out and that is when it will get the black tie radio. At least the Aura gets the new radio. I think the MP3 jack is more critical to more buyers than Nav because very few camrys and accords get Nav. Most people buying family sedans arent looking to spend $30k but that's what you need to spend to get the bells and whistles on the Camry and Accord. I would bet less than 10% of those cars are sold with navigation.

the 3.6L engine is very smooth so there will be now problems with quiet idling in this car. It's all good, not that the 3900 was a bad engine in the first place.
    would bet less than 10% of those cars are sold with navigation

I stopped by 2 Toyota stores last year and asked to see the Nav in a Camry. Niether had one and said they did not stock them. No one wants them in a under $30k Camry. Now that may change if the price has dropped. Would be interesting to see how the new Camry is being stocked.
    in a car is not about practicality. It about marketing. Its about sending a loaded example to the mags so than when people read it your car does not look inferrior to those with the nav screen in it.

And to the 10% of people buying a car with nav, if GM can it the same nav in every say... non Buick/Cadillac car, then that 10% of all other cars will lead to the kind of volume that makes financial sence for a Nav screen.

Any takers on the Flash memory slot? It is good to know that MP3 Jack is comming, EVERY GM CAR SHOULD HAVE HTIS FEATURE. Playing MP3's in your car is awesome.
  • michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    I have an 06 G6 with 5,000 miles, just the base 4 cyl. model. When I am driving with my windows down, I hear this loud, high pitched noise. It sounds like a bunch of crickets. It sounds like it is coming from the front wheels. I cant hear it with the windows up and it only happens really after about 15-20 mph. It does it while accelerating, driving, and pushing the brake. Just wondering if anyone is hearing anything like it. I previously had a 05 G6, but later traded it in, once in a while I would hear the same noise while accelerating, but not as bad as this.
  • boxer4626boxer4626 Member Posts: 6
    I was driving in the rain and when i was taking a corner my brand new pontiac G6 (less then 1,000 miles) slipped off the road into a tree... the towing truck that the police called to pull it out ripped it off a tree so before the towing truck pulled it out there was body damage thats it... after the towing truck pulled it out there was a wheel that he just pulled right off.. the whole undercarriage of the car is messed up and i need 2 new doors because somehow they got messed up... total damage
    is around $13,000.00 and my question is after i get my car back will it be the same as when i first bought it? there was no damage to the frame of the car just exhaust and body and the front passanger wheel is totally messed up along with the tierod and all that great stuff... Also could
    i take the towing company to court because the car was onto of a small tree and when he pulled it out you could basically hear the car rip apart... do u think it can be repaired back to factory state? brand new?
    I have a G6 but no ABS or traction control... can i get it installed after i bought it.. if i bring it back to the dealer can they install it for me? and how much would this cost...
    NO, putting ABS on would be very, very expensive. New brake parts, controller and computers. I do not think you could get anyone to do it at any price.
    How fast were youtaking a corner!?

was it raining or something? Let me tell you, if i have a new car, i would baby is sooo much that the suspension would barely need to travel.

a guy on the G6owners club also was driving his brand new G6 and got into a crash, admitting he went too fast and missed a turn.

IMO you have to be very rich, very unfortnuate or a mix of the two to get a brand new car all screwed up like that.

And its easy to blame the car, yet 10000000% of the accidents on the road could have been prevented by either of the drivers.

Thank Goodness you didn't hurt yourself.
    yes i know... i must admit its a very safe car. when i crashed i didnt even know i had crashed really until i looked up... i mean i hit a tree and slid into a ditch but it wasnt like i was flying all over the cockpit.... i never even jerked out of the seat hard at all...... yes it had been raining for 2 weeks and the road was very wet and after i took the corner i hit the gas a little to hard in the rain and it just slid right off the road..... according to my dad.... there is just body work and some hoses need to be replaced.... nothing with the engine or exhaust or undercarriage thank goodness.... but will my car be like brand new when i get it back?
    Well, from what i know as long as the undercarriage, engine, and other sensetive parts of the car were not hurt you should get your car back as good as new.

However, make sure that when they put it back together that everything alligns properly. Most mechanics to my knowledge don't have all of the high tech stuff they do in the factory to make sure all parts are even.

I hope your car comes back to you as new as it can, but no matter what you should realize that its a repair. Let us know what happens :)

Hey, i was curious, did you cross shop the car with anything else, and what lead you to buy the Pontiac over anything else you looked at? Thanks.
  • bigbob5bigbob5 Member Posts: 1
    yes it can, I just picked up a G6 base model last Friday and on the base model, the only one that has the 4 cyl. echo tech 2.4 engine, there is only one option available, that is the rear deck spoiler? I was only interested in cruise and keyless entry, since it is standard w/ power window locks mirrors trunk cd am/fm w/6speakers, driver information center, a/c, 4 wheel disc, 16" tires, automatic, and power height adjust driver seat w/manual lumbar and length adj. It had everything else I wanted, the cruise was $150.00 for neat little steering wheel mounted wireless unit and $189.00 for the keyless entry, which does everything the factory one does except flash my lights when I use it. We put 600mi. on it and it works great, except to open the trunk you must hold the button down for about 2 full seconds to activate the trunk release? for less than $350.00 I can live with that! Oh and am averaging 33.5mpg with 672 total miles on the engine. I expect better after a few thousand mi. and will change to synthetic oil at first service!! would like all. rims. hope this helps VERY PLEASED THUS FAR!!!
  • tim66tim66 Member Posts: 22
    I think the 2 second hold on the trunk release is a safeguard so you don't pop the trunk if you accidently hit the button. My base model had the Driver's Package that included adj pedals,floor mats, alloy wheels,keyless entry and cruise. This added $650.. :D
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who own a car which has cylinder deactivation technology and is happy/unhappy with the fuel mileage it receives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 3, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and what car you own.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati

Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com
  • vitavita Member Posts: 10
    i have the same noise (1SV - 2006 sedan). my brakes also squeal. nothing major, i have a feeling it's the play in the wheel covers making the cricket sound. i'm going to have them take a gander when i bring it in for an oil change. other than those 2 minor noise issues, she's been great so far (4600 miles)...
  • jimmybennettjimmybennett Member Posts: 7
    We have an '05 G6 with the 3.5L V6, sunroof, traction control, and ABS. Right now, it has around 12,900 miles. We purchased it last April and we very pleased because we got a $1000 rebate and very attractive financing. On June 8th, 2005 less that two months of ownership of the G6, my partner left for work only to come back and say the car was completely dead. We called roadside assistance and had it towed in. It had 1,701 miles on it. The problem, they said, was a cross-threaded negative cable bolt and it fried the battery. They fixed it, replaced the battery, and were out of there in an hour. That was great. In August of 2005, I took it back for an oil and filter change and to have for a recall - the harmonic balancer checked. Mileage was 3,865. I have taken it two other times for just regular oil changes and tire rotations; however, we've developed a couple other problems and cannot get the Pontiac dealers to address them.

Off and on, since we've had the vehicle, it will seem almost as if the ignition sticks. It sounds very funny, but the car always cranks. We told the service advisor and were treated as if we were nuts. I have ready another post where someone has experienced this as well. Also, there is a loud racket from the trunk. It sounds like something in the rear suspension. It sounds like there is stuff in the trunk, but there isn't anything. We are taking it to another dealership because the first one said they checked and everything was "tight" in the rear of the vehicle. The next dealership said that they couldn't duplicate the problem. So, we rode with the tech and he heard the noise. We were then told they would have to take out the backseat, this and that, blah, blah. They all but said they didn't want to mess with it. My partner opted not to spend his entire Friday afternoon at a dealership that obviously could care less, so he told them to forget it. I'm taking it tomorrow and if that's the story that I get. I'm going to tell them to take it apart piece by piece if they must, but we didn't invest $20K plus in a car to listen to what sounds like the rear end coming apart.

The other issue we have is the steering. It makes a terrible racket when you are turning in parking lots or at low speeds. It may be that possibly the steering boot needs more grease. One of the techs told us that was "the newness wearing out." HONESTLY.

I really like the G6. It is very stylish, powerful, and efficient. It, honestly, is perfect for me. I have to say, however, this will be the last GM product for our household. We are both perfectionists with our cars and we are just displeased with the quality of service we have received from the GM dealers. We also purchased an '05 Trailblazer and had the same go around with the Chevrolet dealership. I kept it six months and sent it on the one-way trip. The quality of the vehicle was terrible. Nothing major, just constant annoying little problems and very annoying service department employees. We were so glad to see it go. We're having the same feelings with the G6

Hopefully, I can get this problem with the noise in the trunk and the steering noise resolved. I sent a complaint to Pontiac and haven't heard from them either.
  • polishedpolished Member Posts: 6
    I AM HAVING NOISE FROM THE STRUT HOUSING HITTING THE FIREWALL....4TH TIME IN THE DEALER...ANYONE ELSE...RATTLES AT THE DASH COMING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT...THEY TRIED SPRAY BODY FOAM LAST TIME AND THE NOISE IS STILL THERE...ANYONE ELSE???
  • polishedpolished Member Posts: 6
    2006 G6 4 door sedan... I am getting a rattle noise from the strut hitting the firewall....that is what the dealer is telling me...this is the 4th time the car has been in the shop for the rattle...they replaced the strut (twice), then the steering gear box...now they have sprayed liquid body filler to stop the rattle and it is still there. They say it is a poor design the strut top is too close th ethe firewall...help ...anyone else