Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I have the "hot start" problem on my '05 G6 with the 3.5L. It's never failed to start within 10 seconds, but it is a bit annoying to deal with. I'll just add this to the list of problems my local dealer refuses to fix.
    I get 24 mpg in mostly city driving in the 3.5L V6 sedan.
  • cadtributecadtribute Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 in Sept.05. I really love the car and it rides very smoothly, but I have been having battery problems since I bought it. The battery died in Dec.05, I had it jumpstarted and took it to the dealer the next day. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Nothing was left on. Two weeks later the battery was dead again. I had it towed to the dealer and they said the battery couldn't hold a charge and they put in a new battery. Feb.06 the battery was dead again. The dealer said that I don't drive the car enough to recharge the battery. I drive the car everyday at least 17 to 20 miles a day. This just didn't make sense to me. They recharge the battery again and then two weeks later it was dead again. They consulted GM tech support who told the dealer that there was nothing wrong with my car and that I need to drive it more to recharge the battery. They had done tests on the battery and electrical system and also a parasitic draw but everything turns out fine. In March the battery died again and they replaced the battery. Again in July it died and now Nov 26th it died again. I am so completely frustrated that I don't know what else to do. I know that it is going to keep happening. I have approx. 10,700 miles on the car. I drive the car and it acts normal and starts normal and then the next day the battery is completely dead. It is parked in a garage away from the elements of weather. Is there anybody out there with any battery problems?
  • shayla15206shayla15206 Member Posts: 2
    I was having problems with my G6, it had an intermittent extended crank time sometimes it would start and sometimes it would have to be jumped. I too was back and forth at the dealership and they could not find anything. I spent a complete Sunday afternoon on the internet and happened across a technical service bulletin #3349A pertaining to the electrical system - Battery Draw and technical service bulletin 3649 pertaining to the starter assembly. I found this information on mycarstats.com. I also contacted pontiac directly @ 1800-762-2737 since the dealership could not find anything. They worked with the dealership sending the information regarding the TSB's and had them reprogram the PCM. I am very hopeful that this will fix the problem because this is very frustrating. Unfortunately I won't know for sure unless it doesn't stall. Hopefully this is helpful.
    Driving the car 20 miles a day is plenty to charge the battery, unless you're starting/stopping the car 5+ times in that range. Then it could be a problem.
    But still, it does sound very strange. Wish I knew more to help you.
  • cadtributecadtribute Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your post, I will definitely look into this. Interesting though, why didn't GM tech support suggest this. I feel the dealership and GM don't do enough to figure out the problem .They are so into customer satisfaction but then they never go out of their way to try and help you. Thank God for websites like this. Thanks again
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You didn't mention the engine type in your vehicle. That is important with respect to the TSB. What engine do you have??

re you experiencing any other issues you can remember about on your vehicle? One thing - although completely off the wall......if your vehicle has cruise control and you typically leave the Cruise On/Off switch in the ON position have you ever noticed it illuminated after you turned off ignition?
    Even I know this has been covered before, but since you're so helpful e2helper, is there a service number for the clicking sound coming from the dashboard? I imagine it's caused by the plastic expanding/contracting in cold weather when the defroster's on. I have to take our G6 in anyway (the climate control curently has two speeds only - high and off) so I figured I'd get this annoyance taken care of too. Thanks.
    I wasn't aware there was a TSB but I found one that is likely what you are talking about: #04-08-59-003A. Front of Dash Clicking, Ticking or Cracking Noise During Warm Up in Cold Weather (Install Squeak Reduction Tape). It is a pretty old TSB so hopefully dealer knows about it - but can't hurt to have number yourself ;)
  • romich96romich96 Member Posts: 14
    No I haven't had that problem before, thank goodness. It's just only the sunroof. Sometimes the dealership and the manufacturer's do not know what they are talking about. Have you tried the Lemon Law yet?? I know if it will fall under the category, but you've been in there too many times pertaining to the battery, which it is a new car. I file a lemon law because of my snroof, and it is still in process, it has not been resolved yet.
    That's what I needed - thanks!
  • mcclendonmcclendon Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 G6 w/ the 2.4L Ecotech and 4spd Auto. Lately I have been noticing that when at high RPM's the car hesitates and sometimes completely refuses to shift up to the next gear. I have to let off to at least 50% throttle in order for the transmission to finally shift up. Other wise I have not seen any other signs or symptoms from the trans. But however I have noticed some possible electrical problems, i.e. the temp gauge does not always respond and usually reads nothing, and then also the wipers while on wipe at different rates of speed w/out changing the wiper control to do so. Any ideas? Could this be an Electrical problem or a more exspensive transmission rebuild?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    It's under warranty, isn't it? Take it to the dealer! (Odds are it's one of the car's computer systems, not the transmission.)
  • armyhokiearmyhokie Member Posts: 1
    I bought my G6 GT Sedan December 2005, and currently have 19000 miles on it. Really not many problems with it up to this point. Today I am driving and all the gauges on the dashboard shut off. The radio continues to work, and the car drives. Couple of seconds later, all the gauges start working again. They work for about 2 seconds, and then off they go. I can shut the car on and off, but the gauges all read zero. It also says I have no gas, but then when it flashes back on, it says I still have a couple hundred miles of gas mileage left. Has anyone else experienced this problem.
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I am pretty set on buying a Honda Accord. I have owned a Chevy Monto Carlo and had lots of problems. However, looks wise the Pontiac G6 is younger and hotter than an accord. I would probably get a 2007, my dad has a GM card and is willing to give me money towards this car so he can use his points up. He has no need for them.

Anyway, my question to everyone is regarding their G6 sedan? Are you happy w/it?
  • dakotawyattdakotawyatt Member Posts: 1
    I've only owned my 2007 G6 GTP for a week, but I'm SUPER happy with it! I currently have a 1999 GMC Sierra pickup truck that has been our primary vehicle for 8 years with 220,000+ miles on it. I am one of those fortunate people that has NOT had tons of problems out of a GM vehicle. My brother and sister have 9995, 9994 respectively Chevrolet S-10's that they still drive, my dad has a 1996 Suburban that he drives, and my husband has a 1998 S-10 that's still going strong. I do NOT anticipate problems with the Pontiac, but we did purchase the extended bumper to bumper warranty due to the fact that we have the remote start and panoramic sunroof. Would NOT want to have to replace a bad starter in a year; bet that sucker's expensive.

AS FOR THE BATTERY: Spend the money and get RID of the AC Delco battery. Those things are crap. Out of all the GM vehicles, 3 of those AC Delco batteries have had broken cable posts, the battery has leaked, and gone bad. On our 2 trucks, we replaced the batteries with Everstart batteries and have had NO problems whatsoever. It will end up saving you money and time by just doing that yourself and not getting the runaround from your dealer.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    remote start and panoramic sunroof. Would NOT want to have to replace a bad starter in a year; bet that sucker's expensive.

Actually there is no difference in the starter. It is mostly software changes and a few safety items to assure nobody gets killed by a car running on its own. The roof is another story!!
    the wipers while on wipe at different rates of speed w/out changing the wiper control to do so.

Are you saying that you noticed that the intermittent (delay) setting on wipers will vary the delay time without changing switch position? If so you might not know that the delay rate varies by vehicle speed
  • lxs333lxs333 Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same problem before with my 2007 G6. Other than that, there were noise and squeak everywhere after driving it for about 2 weeks..so I decided trade it in and get a 2007 Accord V6 which provides me smooth and high quality ride...never buy Americans cars again!!!
  • manualgtpmanualgtp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 GTP 3.9L that is currently at the dealer for a low coolant warning that appeared on the DIC. The coolant tank is 3/4 empty when cold. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause?

I too have had brake problems. The car has 17,000 miles and so far the original rotors have been machined and then later replaced. Now the 2nd set has been machined. The dealer states this is the only car they have seen with this problem. As I can see, this is clearly not the case.
    I would like to thank everyone for all the information posted on this forum.
    Thanks again.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    For the record, squeaks and rattles occur in all types of cars, even import models. This is an issue that hasnt been totally solved by the auto industry by any means. I dont know that it's wise to swear off domestic cars based on a few squeks and rattles. It kind of seems like you wanted to get an Accord all along and just wanted an excuse. To trade a car in after a few weeks isnt really smart.
  • rcracedriverrcracedriver Member Posts: 4
    Lxs333 is right. You have one little problem and you want to go running away from the hometeam? Actually the domestic's are already caught up if not better in intial quality and long term quality compared to the import headquartered manufacturers. Plus the Accord isn't gonna come with the warranty like GM. Be wise, you're going to pay more up front for it, and you'll be paying more for it over time for sure.
  • bagleybagley Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 G6 GT, and have recently had problems with the steering wheel locking up when I am trying to maneuver in tight situations where short bursts of acceleration are required, like parking. I can move the wheel, but it is difficult. Car has 31000 miles on it, steering fluid is fine. Any ideas?
  • cap232pilot1cap232pilot1 Member Posts: 20
    My son purchased a new G6 GT Coupe in June 2006. He's putting on miles at a brisk pace , so I thought he'd better investigate an extended GM warranty. I know that there other providers out there , but I'd prefer to stick with the GM plan .
    I've been told that dealers make different deals for the same coverage. I plan to check out what our dealer in Flemington , NJ wants , but I'd appreciate first hearing what others paid for 4 years/ 60,000 miles and 5 years? 75,000 miles( with a $100 or zero deductable) Thanks in advance and please provide the dealer's name /state/ phone # of your dealer- Who knows, I may purchase it from them !
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Contact Dennis Fichtner, gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com. They provide GMPP warranties at a discount for all GM vehicles. They are in Montana so you could probably avoid sales tax if your state charges that on warranties.
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    I test drove '06 Sedan SE1 w/25K last week. I fell in love with the handling and all the bells and whistles. I've yet to make a deal, waiting for a proposal because I went in with a 'bottom line' for what I'm willing to pay for the car (any car actually - this one caught my eye). Now reading the forums, I'm nervous about the brake noise, sunroof leak, battery issues, etc. The test drive was nice, but the salesman talked the entire ride so I wasn't able to concentrate and listen. No reason for my post, other than visually acknowledging the pro's and con's of the G6 models I've read. A beautiful car is not worth the ride if there's too many problems and maintenance issues. I suppose if they come back with my price, then I'll test drive again and check it out in greater detail. Thanks for reading!
  • cmouchacmoucha Member Posts: 2
    On March 15, 2007 I turned in my 2006 G6 GTP to the dealer I leased if from. After many rounds with GM and not getting anywhere, I filed with the Better Business Bureau. The car at been in for service 16 times in 16 months. I had problems with everything from the sunroof leaking, sensors, paint problems, clutch burned out at 18,000 miles and too many problems to list. Once I filed with BBB, GM wanted to settle this issue out of court. I received back my down payment and additional money for my troubles. This car now has a title that is listed as a lemon. I just leased a 2007 Ford Mustang. I love the car!! I hope this helps someone else who is having problems with GM and in particular the G6. Good luck !!!
  • rockexrollohrockexrolloh Member Posts: 3
    My mom has a 2006 G6 that I drive occasionally and we've also had problems with the steering. We live in Indiana and thought maybe it was from cold weather but it is still acting up even in the spring. When we first start the car it's difficult to turn completely but after driving for about 5-10 minutes, the steering is normal. Makes no sense to me. The steering fluid is also fine.
    It's going into the shop tomorrow to have some other problems with the engine checked out, so I'll see if they have any ideas.
  • rockexrollohrockexrolloh Member Posts: 3
    My mom has a 2006 G6 with the manufacturers warranty and an extended 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. I believe the car has around 29,000 miles on it and it's going into the shop tomorrow to be checked out for multiple problems.
    Does anyone know if she'll have to pay a deductible or labor fees with the manufacturer's warranty? Also, she is getting either a loaner car or rental car from the dealership. This should be covered as well, right?

Also, here's a couple of the problems with the G6. If anyone has had the same problems or any advice, let me know please!

When the heat or AC is turned on, there is a rattling/clicking noise on the passenger side near the glove compartment. As soon as it's turned off, the rattling stops.

The window on the driver's side gets stuck sometimes and scrapes when you roll it up or down.

The reflector on the passenger side door just randomly fell off one day and will not go back on for anything.

Also, it is really hard to steer when you first start the car. After about 5-10 minutes it goes back to normal. This doesn't happen every time though.

And the biggie, my mom drove it through water, not like flood water or high water, it was just raining and more of a "puddle". She drove it about 45 miles to work and it sat in the parking lot for about 9 hours. When she went to turn it on, it sounded really awful and the front was shaking really bad. The check engine light also came on. She drove it home, another 45 miles, and it did fine. This was on Friday and we could not get it into the shop until tomorrow. I drove it on Saturday and a little on Sunday and it was doing the same thing. The shaking stopped after driving it for awhile unless I was a stop sign or light. On Sunday, my mom filled it up with gas and took it for a drive. Well after filling it up with gas, it ran even worse. She said it barely wanted to go and kept acting like it was going to die. I put some gas treatment in but it still didn't help. Also, after driving the car and parking it, there is a strong exhaust smell coming from the front of the car.

Any ideas???
  • mwestern05girlmwestern05girl Member Posts: 4
    I purchase a 05 Pontiac G6. When I first got it I was excited. It was exactly what I wanted. I have the GT with all the extra options you can buy (first mistake). I have replaced the tires x2 it has 50,000 miles on it (the tires I bought were not cheap) the tire place says it's because it takes the 17in V rating tires?. The panoramic sun roof now leaks just out of the blue sometimes it will pour water in by the overhead light. It has an unexplained clicking/popping noise behind the glove box. The steering is very stiff in the morning almost like there is no power steering, The windshield wiper blades can not be replace with any universal ones, the dealer has to order them at $40 some dollars a set. The paint on the trim flaked off at the car wash. The brakes have been replaced once and still make noises. The starter hangs up sometime upon starting and Yes, it's made many trips to the dealership and now it's out of warranty. It's had so many problem I may of even forgot some. I am not happy with my G6 and am trading it in.
  • jamieb1sjamieb1s Member Posts: 2
    Let me start this by saying that I so wanted to love my g6 gtp. My first car was a 94 grand am and I drove it with out event for 7 years and 240,000 miles without any real trouble. When the g6 came out, I wanted one! I have had it just over a year, I have only put 11,000 miles on it and have dealt with so many issues that I have no heart left for this car. Like many others out there it started leaking after a few months. Dealers and other shops could not find where the water was coming from. I have a five-year-old son and had been fussing with him for spilling drinks in back floor and not telling me. He would just deny spilling and start crying. We do not drive the car that often, so when it would leak it would turn to mold. It goes without saying that I now have a back floor full of mold and mildew. The passenger front belt is also usually wet and slimy. I took the car back to the dealer three weeks ago, after I got a recall letter, they didn't know anything about the recall on the sunroof. They have only sold a few of the 2 door coupe.
    Once I assured the girl that there was indeed a recall and they looked it up! "Oh yeah! there is one!" They ordered everything they needed including seatbelt stuff,and new carpet. Since this visit three weeks ago, the back passenger side seat has become covered with mold and the seat belt is wet. Last week I had to put a shirt over the mold and buckle my nephew up with a moldy/wet seat belt! I called and asked how much longer I would have to wait for repairs and all they would say is we've ordered the parts and we'll call you! The whole problem is made worse by the fact that I have serious mold allergies and have asthma. I told my allergist about all the mold problems Ive had with the car and he just gave me this dead pan look and said "don't get back in that car!" thats nice, but I have to get around. I have had my family and friends clean mold out of this car for almost a year!

I also have had the problem of the battery going dead. How did everyone get into their cars. The window will not drop down. I sent my 5 year-old in through the trunk to pull the hood latch and then back out the trunk. I mean come on!

I have also been unable to get into the car doors after sleet and snow. No amount of ice melting spray would work. Really cold weather does the same thing, the window will not come down. 6 times is winter I have been late to work, because I couldn't get into my car, and had to call someone to come get me.

During cold weather the gauges do not work, or the radio displays. the car runs, but you don't know how fast, the temp, or what time it is! I live in Missouri, not the arctic circle, it doesn't get that cold!

the brakes make all kinds of noises, the car down shifts ruff in traffic, and the starter hangs when turning over!

I could go on and on. Has anybody had any luck getting gm to do anything. :lemon:
    Well, I bought the car and I love it. I've only had 2 weeks and the gas mileage is incredible. :) I'll be back periodically to give updates if all is going well or if I shot myself in the foot! I'm sorry so many of you have had problems.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    HAve any of you contacted GM through customer service to complain about the responsiveness of your dealers? I did that before and they were pretty responsive in investigating what occurred. I have never had an issue with getting something addressed under warranty. When I said there was a problem it was investigated and repaired without excuses. And I had this experience and multiple dealers.
  • myway2000myway2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2006 Pontiac G6 for just over a year now. The vehicle has less than 30K miles on it. I have had nothing but problems. It is my first brand new car and probably the last. I had the car about a month when I noticed a lot of chips in the paint of my hood, within 2 months a hunk of my clear coat had come off while washing my car. My hood was stripped and repainted. At the same time I complained that the steering wandered, no problem found. This concern was not improved till a couple of weeks ago after 6 trips to a number of service centers. It was definitely a problem when a new tire was worn out in 5K miles. The steering issue itself is enough for a :lemon: but GM does not seem to agree. I have an occasion smell of burning oil and exhaust. The transmission slips out of gear and jerks hard when it resumes. Yesterday I noticed the clear coat was peeling on the roof and passenger side.

Problems that have actually been fixed include; a growling noise from the engine, engine mount replaced and a bolt was missing from the transmission. The engine coolant light came on, sensor replaced. A ground wire came loose and caused all sorts of problems, car wouldn't start, cruise control wouldn't work, steering locked up, lights pulsed, vehicle shut off, alarm went crazy, I had to take the car to 2 different service centers to get this concern fixed.

I've worked with Pontiac Customer Service and ending up hiring a lawyer but still no resolution.

What's it going to take for GM to admit this is a RED LEMON?
  • neon_blue_g6neon_blue_g6 Member Posts: 3
    hi, i have had my 06 g6 sedan sine july of 2006, and i have 2 12" subwoofers in it and i still dont notice any rattles or brake squels etc. occasionally i turn my music down (especially when my father is in the car) ... he has extremely good hearing, and he always comments how quiet this $18k car really is. My mom has an Infiniti that i drive a lot, and i say they are actually quite close. I hope this helps, oh and by the way i LOVE the car, and have had no problems with it, even though i race it, its been great to me.
  • jamieb1sjamieb1s Member Posts: 2
    Well I am reporting that on Thursday, my GTP will have been in the shop for one month! I got a call two weeks ago, saying that they would keep in touch! Laughable! In there defense they did give me a loaner car. :sick:
  • rickindorickindo Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me for sure if an after market cruise control can be added to
    this car? It is the 4 cyl engine. I have had 1 dealer say no, but 2 aftermarket
    installers say yes. So who is correct?

Also, have the major problems with the 2006's been fixed for 2007?

The reason I am asking, in my area of south east, tx, the value leader is
    the only G6 in our price range. We are looking to purchase on Saturday,
    so a quick reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    RickB.
  • rickindorickindo Member Posts: 2
    After more investigating, Rostra does make an aftermarket cruise control
    for the G6 Value leader or SE1, but it connects directly to the BCM.
    General Motors response, if you connect directly to BCM, the warranty
    on the car will be VOIDED!

RickB.
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    I just purchased a new 2006 g6 gtp. I am wanting to get a cold air intake, exhaust, and what ever else that will get me started. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to do anything after I add these?

Thanks
  • bvrainebvraine Member Posts: 2
    I also get a power steering failure.

You might be interested in the following news article regarding a FED investigation.

Feds Investigate Pontiac G6 for Power Steering Problem - Daily Auto Insider
    The Daily Auto Insider
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007
    May 2007

General Motors's Pontiac G6 sedans are being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) following complaints of a loss of power steering, the agency said on its Web site.
    The inquiry covers 2005 and 2006 models with electronic power steering. As many as 176,968 cars may be affected. The agency said it has received 19 complaints, including two accidents and one injury.
    The preliminary investigation is NHTSA's first step in its safety review process. About 40 percent of such probes between 1995 and 2005 led to recalls.
  • phunwun16phunwun16 Member Posts: 1
    I have had numerous problems with my 2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan. It was purchased in August 2006 with 3K miles on it (it was a demo car), and since then has been brought in 6 times alone for brake problems. It started as a squeal on the front passenger side whenever the tire was in rotation, and the brake pads were lubricated 3 times for this problem. Finally they changed the brake pads at 8K miles from semi-metallic to ceramic brake pads. Least to say the noises never went away, and I've continued to bring it in for the same problem. Earlier this week I brought it in because the squeal has changed from a noise to a hard grinding with popping sounds associated with it from both front brakes, and they told me my rotors needed to be resurfaced. I got the car back yesterday, and the brakes are now making a clicking sound on the front passenger side and the grinding is still there. 6 out of 7 trips to the service center have been for noises on the front passenger brakes. They can't figure it out, and are now considering sending it off to GM.

2 months ago my battery failed and I needed to be jumpstarted. When I got the car into the dealership, they told me 3 out of 6 cells in the battery were fried. The car only had 9K miles on it!!!

I am giving them one more chance to fix my brakes, and if they can't fix it this time around, I'm done with Pontiac's. My fiance had a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Ram Air that he only had for a year because of numerous sensor and brake problems.

Any ideas on what else could be causing grinding and squealing/clicking noises from my front brakes, most notably the front passenger side? Pads have been replaced within past 6 months, along with the rotors being resurfaced a few days ago.
    Bear with me guys, I'm new here. I'm not having the issue a lot of you are having with the steering feeling heavy upon startup...my problem is just weird thunking/clunking at any time. It's most obvious at low speeds when I'm straightening myself out in a parking spot. When I'm adjusting the wheel in this situation, I can feel and hear little thumps and clunks that feel like they're coming from underneath my feet. Anyone know what this might be?

Also, my model is a 2005...do you think the warranty will cover the fact that the paint is chipping off of the radio buttons??? I can not believe they're uncoated!
    Hero - I have the same problem in my 2006. I asked the dealership, they said they would replace the entire radio, buttons and all .. what a deal huh? I thought the same thing, odd that the paint is chipping around the outside of the buttons (you can tell which buttons I use the most). I asked for a flat black paint for them and he said they'll just replace the radio. Good luck with the thunking/clunking. I haven't had that problem. I love my G6!! :)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Can't swear it's the same thing, but I know several folks on the Impala boards have had problems with steering clunking, that's due to problems with the intermediate steering shaft (ISS). My 2000 model has the problem, and while there is supposed to be an official fix that involves lubricating the ISS, it didn't prove to solve the problem long-term in my case. We found short-term relief by spraying a lubricant called PBBlaster (similar to WD40) on the shaft underneath the dash, but that too didn't last forever (but it was cheaper/easier than going back and forth to the dealer).

Mine is doing it again now pretty strongly; a clunking or loose bearing feeling when turning the wheel, especially at low speeds. I notice it most when turning to the right and applying the brake, as in slowing to turn into a driveway or side street. You can feel the clunking both in the wheel and in the brake pedal.

As I say, this might not be the case with the G6, but it is a fairly common problem with the 2000-2005 Impalas (as well as Olds Intrigues, and probably others).
  • lharper3lharper3 Member Posts: 3
    I believe we could be long lost family.....I leased my 2006 G6 and the rotors have been warped for 9 months now....after 10 trips to the dealer and arbitration. GM gave me a big price break on the G6 because my 2003 Grand Am purchased brand new was only 2.5 years old and I had already replaced the brakes and rotors 4 times, replaced the fuel pump and the starter......therefore I have decided since GM doesn't care about solving this I'm just going to tell everyone I can they don't care or stand behind their products.

THE STORY OF MY PONTIAC G6 AND ITS ROTORS!
  • ckillianckillian Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Pontiac G6 with only 6000 miles on it. I noticed a few days later that somethng was wrong with the power steering. I would be driving and it would go completly out and other times it would be very loose. I took i to the dealership and they kept it over night and told me that nothing was wrong with it and to come pick it up.
    About a week later while driving in heavy traffic it went completly out again, i almost wrecked my car with my daughter in it with me. I immediatley called the dealership again from the side of the road, he told me that if they could not get it to duplicate the problem while they had it, then they had no idea what to fix and if i wanted to take it elsewhere to do so.
    I took it to another Pontiac dealership and they had to replace the whole Electronic's system in the car. Got car back and it ran fine for a little while, now i am at 9600 miles and it is doing the same thing. Going to meet with dealership in a few days about buying the car back from me.
  • lynettehlynetteh Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 g6, i have had two major parts replaced. i brought the car brand new in 4/06, so far i have been having the clunk noises in the front end, took it to the dealer and was told it is something called the rack&pinion?(steering gear) well this had to be replaced this past week, last month it was something called the tire rod.....it runs like crap, very rough ride. i wish i could just get rid of it. :sick: ">
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    The tie rod is connected to the rack and pinion assembly. Hopefully this was under warranty because it most likely was only the rack and pinion since the tie rod replacement did not fix it?
  • californiamikecaliforniamike Member Posts: 2
    Your steering noise problem sounds similar to mine. Have an 05 G6 GT with 58000 miles. Problem started at about 50,000 miles. Am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Can't wait to hear their line about the problem. Will try to keep you and others posted.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    when i took delivery of my new 08 pont g6 4dr sedan on the way home i noticed that the car was rideing very rough over bumps and such....turns out the tires were way over inflated at the dealer while car was being prepared for delivery..normal tire inflation for these tires are 32 psi..my tires were at close to 40 psi before i brought the tires back down to there normal psi.....i could have had blown all the tires or worse yet could have lost control of car resulting in a accident....glad i only live 5 miles from the dealership i bought the car from.....

steve