Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• polishedpolished Member Posts: 6
    had 20,738 miles on my G6....heard and felt clunk in steering...returned to dealer,
    they found excessive rust build up on I-SHAFT. Replaced I-SHAFT. Also they had to machine front brake rotors

At 23,886 miles
    had steering issues, they calibrated steering system POS SENSOR & torqued sensor. And replaced stereo, the clock went back to 12 & fluttered.
    And found coolant in pipe o-ring leaking, they replaced o-ring.

At 24,360 miles
    had left front hub replaced
    These are just a few of my problems with this car.
    I have also had the starter running problem..there is a bulletin but they do NOT want to fix it...I feel it is a problem in ALL G6, I ask anyone with a G6 and they say the same.
    I love the design,room,look of the car...BUT IT IS A LEMON....I TELL EVERYONE. IF PONTIAC IS NOT WILLING TO STAND BEHIND THE CAR....I WILL TRADE IN FOR A IMPORT...GLADLY AT THIS POINT...I hope Pontiac is listening, this is why noone wants American made cars.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Unfortunately for you, GM already has your money, and if your experience is anything like mine has been with GM over the years, it will appear to you that they don't care what you think about GM (and it may be more than just "appear"). In a real sense, I feel sorry for GM dealers, because they probably feel abandoned by GM as well.

It makes me wonder exactly what is going on with GM management. For example, the new Malibu...no NAV system, no bluetooth offerings. Yet, this car is competing with Accord, Altima, Camry, and several other models. Some may argue that these are un-needed options. Maybe, maybe not. In any case, I would like to know how a company the size of GM got so far behind the competition in areas like this.

You can only blame so much on the UAW and economy...I just don't understand how a company that once was the industry leader in innovation has become the "johnny-come-lately" in features and functionality. It just makes no sense to me.

And, this is coming from a once avid GM Chevrolet/Pontiac fanatic.
  • howardpmhowardpm Member Posts: 28
    I'm pretty annoyed with GM myself, purchased an 08 G6 Convertible, 3 days later they were offering an extra $1000 off. I sent a very nice letter to GM saying as a long time GM customer (owning 5 gm cars) in 6 years I think a gesture of good will would be to either, give me that $1000 back, extend my warranty, give me a GM smart care plan, or another option of their choice.

Well their first option was completely ignore the letter (I had sent out 5 copies to random execs). Then I sent it out again this time I get a call from the executive office and this lady pretty much tells me to bad. (sounded like she was reading a form letter).

Howard
    Don't blame you for being a bit P-Oed about that issue, but I would think the dealer would be at least partially at-fault on this one. You know that the dealers must have prior knowledge about rebate plans, as they can't just open the doors the date the rebate begins and have everything fully implemented to accomodate it. In fact, if my experience with dealers is anywhere related to the norm, many dealers wouldn't know about the rebate for 2 weeks after it was implemented, IF prior knowledge wasn't provided.

Just my thoughts on this, right or wrong...
  • childers2childers2 Member Posts: 1
    My car battrey goes flat when my car sets the dealer replaced the battrey and says theres no draw but still it does this. I see other post about theis problem what fixes it?
  • renatelrenatel Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 G6 V6 sedan,with 29,400.I got it in April of 2007 used, but for the last few months I notice a ca-lunk! when I turn left real slow or from a dead stop.The road surface is usually good asphalt(no dirt roads) so that hasn't been an issue.I can feel the clunkunderneath me but more towards the front.I have an appointment at my nearest dealer on Wed.,and I will let everyone know what happens.
  • thefinisherthefinisher Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 value model and it has around 13000 miles on it. it has been a good car so far, then yesterday the entire gauge cluster just shut down the needles werent working, the center console said low fuel and i have a full tank. i looked for a blown fuse, nothing then after i tore my dashboard apart to look for a bad alarm install, which is a whole nother story, i found nothing then it worked when i started the car next time. i guess it's not my alarm thats causing the problem.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Rebates are rebates, and with any product, they CHANGE at will. They're meant simply to encourage more to buy then and there, signing on the dotted line more agreeably. They change. You buy one day and something extra is possible the next day--happens all the time. What it comes down to is you got the car you wanted at a price you were obviously happy with when you did so.

So expecting corporate or even the dealer (who can't do a single thing in such a case, as any specific rebates or bonuses through GM are out of their hands, and every last discount, bonus, and rebate is closely audited), to then offer you extra cash that was decided on being offered after your transaction is out of focus. Do some stores and websites offer price matches if you buy something that then goes on sale a day or two later? Yes. But that's not how it works in the world of cars that cost thousands, and where things must be dated, registered, taxed, etc.

Just drive your car and enjoy. To say "GM is going downhill" because you couldn't get EXTRA cash off the car you bought, offered after you did so, is uncalled for. It's this act of being more concerned with the deal and every last coupon, rather than the cars and their merits that hurts overall image more than anything.
    I agree that it isn't a GM issue. However, I do think that the dealer could be a bit at fault, as they had to know about the rebates.

You can make an argument either way as to what the dealer should have done, and since we weren't there when the deal was done, its impossible to say what, if anything, should have been done differently or in addition....
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I agree that it isn't a GM issue. However, I do think that the dealer could be a bit at fault, as they had to know about the rebates.

You can make an argument either way as to what the dealer should have done, and since we weren't there when the deal was done, its impossible to say what, if anything, should have been done differently or in addition....

How would the dealer know? They are not told until the incentives are announced. There are all kinds of models with different rates of incentives depending on so manyother factors. The dealers should do not know and it would be in GM's best interest to not let them know until it is available. If a dealer knew ahead of timethey would tell the customers to come back in two days and then there would be no sales for those days.

Sometimes they get hints thru their own dealer networks but they are only rumors.
    Personally, I find it incredibly difficult to believe the dealer doesn't get at least a few days notice of new incentives. Just doesn't make business sense.

Since I am not a dealer, I can't say for sure. But, in response to...

If a dealer knew ahead of timethey would tell the customers to come back in two days and then there would be no sales for those days

I have never, ever seen a car dealership that was willing to take any chance on losing a sale by telling someone to come back in a couple of days, even if they know that an auto that better fits the customer's needs/desires will be available.

Than AIN'T gonna happen! Business is way too competetive...
  • gailnnelsgailnnels Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We have the same problem with our G6 - the clunking noise in the steering. Had the entire steering box replaced $500+ and the next month it was back. Several months ago had it greased and it dissappeared. Now it is back. Any comments???^
    I took mine to the dealer on April 16th.They put a new steering shaft in it,but they said the clunking was normal because it has electronic steering and no power steering pump.

I traded the car in for a 2008 Pontiac Vibe that day.
    Who replaced the steering box?
  • tiredofproblemtiredofproblem Member Posts: 5
    Yeah,

Get it fixed again and again and again like I did and then get an attorney for the lemon law. That is what I did and I won, it has been a month since it was all wrapped up, I got every dime back and went out and bought a car I could trust. What a relief.
    The Pontiac G6 is a joke.
  • ceegee2ceegee2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 G6, and it had a popping noise in the steering, they put a steering gear on, and several months later it started again, so they replaced the steering column, and put a new front right tie rod on, so far it is doing ok... Good thing it's still under warranty and i bought an extended warranty..
  • jrogers0725jrogers0725 Member Posts: 1
    I,m having the same problems and many more how long did it take for you to go through with the lemon law because i'm at that point now
    Sunce we bught the car used with 21000 on it I took it down to our nearest dealership to get it fixed and then decided to trade it in for a 2008 Vibe,while it still had a good trade in value.They gave me 10,000 for it, plus 2000 in incentives toward the Vibe.They have since certified the car and have it up for sale for 13,990.

I love my Vibe ,though! If you ever decide to get a smaller car with lots of rom,this is it!!!
  • ajay5ajay5 Member Posts: 10
    The gauges shut down for me except for the temp gauge which would go up and down. Drove it for a few minutes then restarted it. still didn't work so i drove it a few more minutes. the next restart everything worked again. Even the odometer had the correct mileage.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,my girlfriend is thinking about getting a new 08 pontiac g6 and i wanted to know if the steering and brake issues are still happening with the 08 models..
  • mfiscmfisc Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at 07 G6. I spoke with a friend/GM mechanic first. He said that the 06 had a lot of problems with steering but hasn't seen any problems with the 07. To his knowledge, as a mechanic, the steering had been corrected. He never mentioned a brake problem. Good luck to all of us!
  • mfiscmfisc Member Posts: 4
    I have an appointment to check out a 2007 G6 SE1. I have done a lot of reading on these boards about the 2005 and 2006--Sorry to all of you have a ton of trouble with them.

Are there any recurring issues with the 2007? I would like to be informed before I go to the dealership so I can ask questions and know what to look for on a test drive.

Thanks for your support and knowledge!
    fisc,if you go to the used cars reviews under pontiac g6 on this website,you will read about owners with 07 g6's haveing steering and brake issues....one owner as you will read had the steering go out with only 9,000 miles on his 07 g6...if you ask the salesmen who is helping you if the 07 g6's are still haveing steering issues he will say no because he is trying to get you to purchase the car so he can make his commision...let the user reviews on this website be the deciding factor in whether or not to purchase the g6...hope this helps.....steve
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I got my 08 G6 about 5-6 weeks ago, and I am growing to like it, and appreciate an American car. It has gotten excellent gas mileage so far, and the interior fit and finish is pretty nice. I have the leather interior and that is quite nice and comfortable. I am quite surprised with the quality of it. This is coming from a guy who drove an 06 Accord. So coming from that to this car, was a change. The G6 rides differently, and at first, I was like, okay, whats wrong, it feels floaty, but the Accord had a stiffer ride. The G6 rides quite smooth, and I am learning how it drives, and its nice, but it took awhile to get used to it.

The 4cyl engine is breaking in better, with 1,800miles on it. I truly believe a car takes quite awhile to fully break-in. My Accord nearly took about 12k or so to really run like its supposed to. The G6 engine is not as refined at the Accord, and I am quite disappointed with the fact that is has only as 4spd transmission. It is 2008, all cars should have at least a 5spd. The Accords 4cyl, was silky smooth, but as I keep driving the G6 it is really starting to feel smoother. I wish the G6 had a better turning circle, It is not too good compared to other models.

The G6 has alot of fun factor in it, especially with the sun and sound package, with the moonroof open, and the very nice stereo system with XM, 6disc changer, Aux input, and the Onstar with navigation and voice dialing. This car is alot of fun, and at the end of the day, I truly miss my Honda, but this car is certainly much more fun. It is a fun car. This car has everything and perhaps a few more options than the 08 Honda Accord EX-L. It looks more sporty, I got the salsa red color, tinted the windows, and I get comments on my car all the time, I keep it looking good, as I take pride in my cars. The only downer is the G6 is not going to hold its value like the Honda, my 06 Accord SE went for nearly $18k on the lot and only stayed for about a week or so. Its gone! I leased it for $20k. But it had no door dings sign on it, and I had kept it looks immaculate. It looked new!

I am leasing the G6 for 3yrs, but after its all done, I am going to have a new appreciate for it, only if I don't have any major issues with it. Will I go back to Honda or go to Acura, I probably will, maybe even go to VW. I just love them. But, why not branch out and try something new. my mother has an 08 Jetta SE, and I love it!! It is fun too!! So ask yourself this, when driving your car, is it fun, and exciting? The G6 is a fun car, and I am going to enjoy it! After all, its just a car, and a lease. Have fun.
    I was wondering why I am finding the chrome version of the 2 front grills to be so expensive nearly $250 or so to have that? Why?

Also, the lower chrome molding that you can get for the lower grill, why is that about the same price? That is extremely expensive! Anyone know where I can get cheaper accessories like these for a decent price?

I have seen this chrome parts on the 08 model G6's, and they really make the car look nice, and really it does make the lower grill look like its apart of the car.
  • melissa81melissa81 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I have been trying to do some research on the G6 problems after just learning about all the issues last night. And I must admit, the things I have been hearing from everyone have really got me worried.

I had a 2006 Mustang that I traded in. My husband and I had our first child in October of last year, and a Mustang just isn't practical with a baby. So we were looking for a car that still looked nice but had enough room. A dealer friend of ours suggested a 2006 G6. It was a straight trade off. This had lower miles and everything, and even lowered my monthly payments $100 a month.

Well, within the past 2 weeks or so, the back brakes have started grinding all of a sudden. No warning, no squeaks, it just went straight to grinding. Which I thought was odd, because we just bought the car last November, I didn't think we should be having brake problems already. But it doesn't do it all the time. Right after that happened, the words "power steering" came up on the warning panel. We just automatically assumed that it meant the power steering fluid was low. We honestly had NO idea that the G6's had the electric power steering. So like idiots, while we're looking for the power steering fluid (That didn't exist. Hah) we noticed that the brake fluid tank was completely empty. Which was odd after just getting it serviced.

So last night, after doing some research, I came across the investigations into the 05 and 06 models of the G6 about power steering failures, and then I found on here about brake issues. After looking in the owner's manual, it said if the "power steering" warning came up on the panel, and if the G6 was equipped with electrical power steering, that there was a problem and to take it to your dealer immediately.

So now I am panicking. It just showed up twice and hasn't done it since, but I am not about to take a chance when I use this car to drive around with my 7 month old daughter in the backseat. I also noticed that the investigation was closed. So they never decided to do a recall even though there were a number of reports of steering failures and even an accident with injury?

And apparently the warranty isn't going to cover it, because a friend of mine that works at a dealership here in town called GM directly last night, and the woman said that that would fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty of 36,000 miles and wouldn't ya know, my car has 37,000 miles on it. So if there was a problem, I would have to pay out of pocket for it, which I don't think is right at all.

So after my rant, my question is, should I even bother with messing with this car that is having this much problems, or should I just go for another trade in?
    melissa,if you would have done a little research before purchasing your g6 you would have known about all the steering and brake problems that are happening with the g6,especially the 05 and 06 models.........i owned a 07 g6 up until about feb of this year....i bought it brand new and within a few month's problems began cropping up.....brakes began sqeeling at about 8,000 miles then my steering went out at 9,000....service advisor at dealership said that these are just some of the common problems that they are haveing with the g6 and if you read the owners reviews about the 08 g6's you will see that pontiac has done nothing to remedy this problem cuz owners of 08 g6's are still haveing steering and brake issues just to name a few.........i dumped my g6 as i mentioned in february and got a 08 honda civic...my car problems were solved and i suggest you do the same with your g6 before some more serious issues happen......consumer reports says that all pontiac g6 models have a way below average reliability rateing....i agree with that....
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Is this the support group for owners of G6's? :sick: :cry:

Eh, just kidding. ......kind of.

Since I'm new here, and they seem to be common problems, I'll point out we had some odd steering problems (thumping during turning) that the dealer fixed on our 2005 G6. They also fixed the warped rotors at 15,000 miles. As for the paint that's chipping off of the radio and power lock buttons, well, the dealer doesn't seem to care. Sigh.

Our G6 just recently started having front suspension issues. I know nothing about cars, but there are strange noises made during routine driving now. If I get out of the car and push down over the front wheels, both left and right, there's a definite creaking sound. No idea where the hell this came from. We're having the dealer look at it since we bought an "extended warranty..how can I lose?!" - Homer Simpson. It saved our asses on that piece of crap Caravan we had, but I digress. Anyone know what this might be? Is this a common issue?
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    The paint on my radio buttons were wearing thin, not really chipping - but you could see the red light through areas where you shouldn't .. dealership replaced my entire radio for that reason only .. If you purchased an extended warranty - use that puppy! Mention to them - that had it been within the original 3yr/36K warranty, they'd replace it and that your extended warranty should cover it just the same .. It's not right that those buttons should chip from normal wear in 3 yrs. I'd inquire heavy about that - having a newer radio really boosted the sound.

Knock on wood - I don't seem to have alot of the problems people mention in these forums ... My '06 has been a good car for me so far and I've had it just over a year with 45k (i put alot of mileage on) .. The only thing that I totally hate is the road noise from the tires - I wish there was something that could be done about that.

Good luck with your suspension issues .. and get that new radio and power lock buttons!! ;)
    The dealer has already said they won't replace the radio for that reason alone. (The power button is completely worn off -- it's just a giant red glaring circle at night.)

I'm sure I'll have no luck with my awful dealer. They just called back and said they could find nothing wrong with the suspension. HA. I said "Nothing wrong? I demonstrated how the front end creaks like an old board FOR you guys. Look at it again." WORST dealership EVER.
    Go to another dealer!!!
    Exactly- Go to a different dealer and contact GM and let them know. Going to a different dealership will help as some dealers actually treat people with respect, It might be farther away, but its worth the fix when done right.
    Well, the problem is that this is my parents' car, and the extended warranty they bought was some cheap third party thing (even though they bought it through the dealer) so according to the insurer, they may choose to not honor certain parts of the warranty if we take it to a different dealer. Whatever.

On the plus side, my awful local dealer (are we allowed to mention dealers by name or no?) changed their tune. First, as I said a few days ago, they told us "There's nothing wrong with the car" which meant I had to drive over there and re-demonstrate that there was DEFINITELY something wrong with the suspension. Gee, 12 hours later they're replacing the control arms. It's all fine now. It was all covered by the extended warranty (we're just past 36,000 miles) so.....I guess it could be worse.
    I just leased my 08 2 months ago, and I am so far liking it, its fun and I have every option available except for the V6. No biggie! This is my first american car, coming from Honda, and it was a tough transition. But I am impressed! It offers so much on the car, I feel like the car is alive, with my Onstar, navi, voice dialing, stereo, leather, its great. Will I be back to Honda or Acura? Yes, I probably will, but I am going to have fun while I have this car, its fun and the salsa red color is amazingly sporty. I am really starting to like my car. The only thing I miss, its a more stiff suspension, the G6 is stiff, but not like the Honda, where you can feel everything, and I liked that. I am getting used to it though, and actual appreciate it now.

Also, I am not sure if anyone knows, but the 08 4cyl, have plastic wheel covers, and they actually look like real rims (which is kinda lame, but they look great), but I wondering if I am able to go somewhere and get them chromed, since some places can chrome plate plastic! It would look amazing!! But only if they can offer some kind of warranty and its a well done job. No chipping or flaking. Anyone know??

I plan on buying the chrome grills for the top and bottom fronts, but only if I can find a decent price for them.
  • megmorrr1984megmorrr1984 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 G6 and for the past few months i have been having the worst problems with it making a rattling noise. At first i thought it was something in the brakes so i went and got new pads put on and my rotars turned, and i could tell a difference in the way it drove and felt but i could still hear the rattle. Then i thought it could possibly be something with the tires, so i went and got them checked and my tire rod was bent, they fixed that and i had to get new front tires. After i did that it was fine for about a day with still a slight rattle, but now the rattle is back again! I wenta nd got my tires checked AGIAN and they are fine, i really dont want to take it to the dealership because they will give me a run around, unless i know what im talking a bout and i dont, does anyone have any idea what this rattle could be, im starting to think it might be something in my stearing colum!!!!!!!!!
    Does sound like a previous owner hit something since the tie rod was bent.

Best bet is to let the dealership drive it and show them the rattle. Not sure what else we can do here w/o some some of diagnostics.
    I really wish that the G6 had a 5spd automatic, instead of a 4spd. It is 2008, there should be no excuse for not having one. I also think that transmission is a little rough, and as I put more miles on it, it does get smoother though. I only have about 3k on it, and I can only feel the transmission when revving up to speed. Also, I wished that they offered a manual shift option on the automatic, if anything should have this option, it should be the 4cyl before the 6cyl. The engine is great, and I am really impressed, but coming from an 06 Accord 4cyl, to the G6 4cyl, the G6 lacks a bit of refinement and crispness that the honda offers. But, the G6 still only has 3k on it, so its barely even broken in. The G6 really does pick up and go, and it likes to rev up, and when you do it, its quite smooth. But, I do find the transmission a little insufficient and needs the 5spds, it seems to want to look for a gear quite often. But, I am still getting used to it though.

Also, I have the Hankook tires on it, and I have found to keep them about 5lbs over the recomended amount, it feels better and looks like they are fuller, 30lbs is simply not enough for them, and 35lbs is still under the max. Anything less, seems like the car is floaty and less grippy.
    The G6 is getting kinda old. Does need some updates. 6 speed is standard with the top V6 engine. It's stable mate the Malibu has a 6 speed with the four cylinder so I would expect a 6 speed on the base soon.

Just checked a site and the 6 speed is available for '09 on the 4 cylinder.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    No 6-speed for the G6 except for the 3.6L GXP again next year. Same 2.4L and 3.5L also remain, both with their same 4-speed. The Malibu and Aura are getting more 6-speeds, yes, on the 2.4L but not the Pontiac.

This was covered quite some time ago, but here's all the 2009 changes (you can click the different links and also see the full book by clicking Print Book, Print Model, and Print:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&butID=1&regionI- D=1&divisionID=7&vehicleID=6863&type=0#
    I am going to the saturn dealer tomorrow, and I am going to see about getting the chrome covers that they use on some of the Saturn Auras. I know, I found out later that they had covers on my G6, they look like real rims though. I cannot find my OEM covers in chrome, so I found out that the Saturn Aura covers in chrome will work on my car since they are all made by GM. I am not sure what it will look like, but I think it will make the car look awesome, and they actually do look like real rims, The Aura covers are very similar to those on my G6 4cyl model. I wished they offered the chrome option on the covers that I have now. So, I'll just use a different cover. Has anyone done this before?

I am kind of glad, that the wheels have covers in a way, because if I scratch one of them up, its so easy to replace, not expensive at all, and the fact they actually look like real rims. So I guess its okay. but, I am really an Alloy wheel kind of guy.

I am going to check tomorrow, and I will let you guys know what they tell me, as far as price. It might be worth the upgrade, I saw an Aura in the salsa type red color, with the chrome wheels, and it looked awesome!!
  • phillymomphillymom Member Posts: 30
    We just leased a 2008 G6 Sedan. My husband picks up food often for his restaurant he works for so we wanted to get a cargo/strunk liner to protect the floor.
    Since it is a lease I did not want to put out $ for the pontiac one, any off market brands that anyone has used and worked well?
    I cannot find the size of the Pontiac sold one to compare

Thanks
    Okay, I just got a quote for the Aura Chrome wheel covers, and they are $83 per wheel, so that is not bad. I am really thinking about doing it, because it will really make the car look great. Plus, it would set my G6 apart with a different type of rim on it. Plus they look like real rims.

Many companys are doing this, they are making a steal wheel, then making a front or "face" for the wheel, and they are getting more high tech with them, making them look at though they are a full rim, but easily swappable. Now, how much money this actually saves for a company, I am not sure. Just look at the Saturn aura wheels on the lower trims, those are this covers, but chromed.

I am going to look at them closely before I make the decision to do it.

Get the Chrome wheels, chrome grill for top and bottom front, and it will look amazing, and of course not overdone, I just want mine to look unique, but classy!
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    Sounds Awesome - I wanted chrome wheels too but mine wasn't equipped w/them. The G6 is a classy looking car, you'll turn heads for sure!!
    Does anyone know why the chrome grills for the top and the bottom are so expensive? Are they real chrome, or are they a hard plastic. I am seeing $256 for the bottom and around $195 for the top. I am really wanting to get the grills, it will make the car look more updated, without being overdone.

Also, it looks like the 2009 G6 is going to have a redone grill, using a more squared off kidney grills, and a redone lower grill. It does make it look more updated. I have a feeling that Pontiac is going to use the design concept of the G8 for its line up. The competition is getting really tough now, they all have to step up their game.
  • ckillianckillian Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 G6, at 5000 miles they had to replace the electronic power steering. afew days ago i took it in for a "clunking" noise when turning left and for my starter sticking when i crank it. The "clunking" noise they fixed. But as far as the starter, the service department, told me that it is an electronic starter, therefore, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the computer to catch up. which made no sense to me at all. It happened to me again, and this time it took a few trys on trying to crank it. It kept trying to turn over, starter was sticking but would not crank. Then the engine icon stayed on on my instrument panel for about a minute then went off. Any idea what to tell them to do when i take it back this time?
    I have an '06 G6, at 5000 miles they had to replace the electronic power steering. afew days ago i took it in for a "clunking" noise when turning left and for my starter sticking when i crank it. The "clunking" noise they fixed. But as far as the starter, the service department, told me that it is an electronic starter, therefore, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the computer to catch up. which made no sense to me at all. It happened to me again, and this time it took a few trys on trying to crank it. It kept trying to turn over, starter was sticking but would not crank. Then the engine icon stayed on on my instrument panel for about a minute then went off. Any idea what to tell them to do when i take it back this time?

Yes...FIX IT! Any modern automobile should engage the starter immediated after the key is turned (button depressed on push-button models). Any explanation otherwise is simply BS.
    i also had the electronic steering fail at about 7000 miles then shortly after that the brakes began to make noises..i dumped the pos g6 for a honda civic...if i would have done some research before purchasing the g6 i would have known that the g6 has problems with the electronic steering and brakes.......gm keeps makeing the same mistakes over and over again....stick with either honda or toyota people you will sleep much better at night......lol
    Well,I leased my 08 G6, and if I have any problems, I will not tolerate it. Though I am under contract, I will be in touch with people that I know in the business. So far, no problems. But, hey, maybe we can all get a G8.
  • megmorrr1984megmorrr1984 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone hear a "rattling" like noise in their G6. I have been experiencing this rattling it sounds like its coming from the tires but i got that looked at and its not the tires, it kinda feels like it has something to do with the steering,I know people have had alot of issues with the automatic steering but did you ever hear a rattling noise?
    hi morrr1984,i had the same problem with my 08g6 before i dumped the pos in favor of a honda civic..at about the 6,000 mile mark i began hearing a strange rattling sound which sounded as if it had something to due with the steering...i figured the sound would go away on it's own as the car got broken in more....however,this wasn't the case...at around 8,000 miles i had total steering system failure and had to have the g6 towed back to the dealership....i was then told by the service advisor that the steering system failure has been a on going problem with the g6 for model years 05-08 and gm has not been able to fix the problem.....along with the steering issues there are brake issues as well although i personelly didn't have the car long enough to notice any brake problems...however,if you read the owners reviews on this website for the model year g6's 05-08 you will read about all of the steering and brake issues that these owners are dealing with......