Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• mfiscmfisc Member Posts: 4
    Hi kkinze--

I bought my 07 in May and so far have been very happy with it. It has 30K on it and I haven't noticed any issues. It seems like the 06 has had a lot of problems but I haven't really seen any posts about 07 problems. I hope we just have nice cars! :D

Good luck!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Have anyone else noticed that the G6's, 2008 models are piling up on Ebay, most with low miles, a few with higher miles. Convertibles for thousands less, with a few 1k miles on them. This makes me a little wary of why. I think most are moving away from GM, it certainly makes me a little uneasy. Now, most of these cars have been on Ebay for quite sometime. Now, I do realize that the economy is really low right now, but it seems like GM is getting hit more. I have noticed more cars in general in the used lots anyway, its like people are buying new since that have to move them better than the used. Hmm, I wonder why..lol No offense, but I'll be getting an 09 Acura TSX soon! Bye bye GM. I love my G6, but the engine really disappoints me, drive a Honda 4cyl, and you'll see a difference. The 4cyl G6 engine is too quirky, not too refined, the transmission is so annoying, I find myself saying, uh, what gear are going to pick? lol. The torque is totally in the wrong spot on the range. I can see why people have to opt for the 6cyl in a GM car, because they cannot offer a good 4cyl.
    Update!

The 2009 Pontiac G6 is going to get a slight face lift. Interior radio, heat/air controls updated. The front and rear get a few new lines and changes. Not much, but looks good. The new 4cyl models(not base) get standard the chrome wheel covers, The covers actually to me look better than the regular chrome "rims". Very nice. Look literally like real rims. Not much done to it, but looks tastefully done. They now offer a 6spd automatic, which is nice, very nice, because that is problem I have on my 08 G6, I have a 4spd transmission, and it is so picky, annoying sometimes.

The 4cyl now offers a sport package that has paddleshifters. Very handy and fun. My luck, they do the upgrades after I have bought one. Oh well, I still do not plan to get another GM product. However, I am going to buy the chrome wheel covers, for $358, I can get them on the car! Not bad for covers that look like real rims. Nice thing too, if you curb scratch them, you can easily and cheaply buy a new one. These are the few covers that can pull off not looking like a cover!

The link is below, I would say they are doing the right thing, though I think they are a bit behind, certainly not ahead of the game, but a good start to a refresh. I think all their doing is just staying average with the competition. I give them credit for doing this, but nothing to be shouting about. Its what they should have done years ago.

Read all about it! Starts in January.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2009-Pontiac-G6-Coupe,-Sedan-and-Convertible.html- ="
    Okay,

I have had my 08 Pontiac G6 4cyl, sedan for about 1 year. I am impressed with its options, leather, roof, heated seats, power seats, xm, aux, remote start. It is a nice package. First off, I was never impressed with the 4cyl engine!! I gave the engine some time and miles to see if it would smooth out and it has NOT. The 4spd automatic transmission is horrible! It cannot pick a gear to be in at a certain RPM. Always moving up and down. You barely press of on the accelerator the transmission thinks it needs to jump way up. I ask myself all the time when I accelerate, what in the world are you doing? Its so annoying! It is getting to the point where I get mad at it.

Now, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the car, but I came from an 06 Accord 4cyl, and it was no where near like this. The G6 engine is not smooth at all, its quite rough in shifting, totally unpredictable. The transmission is not programmed very well at all. I have now noticed a higher pitched hissing sound coming from my G6, mostly when its first started, and its colder out. It has a very cheap start up, not a nice smooth sounding start up. My 06 Accord, a slightly bigger sedan had more power, torque, yet better gas mileage! It felt like a little race car, because it was so refined, smooth. I miss my Accord so much! Now, it was not my choice to get the car, I had to get this car to lease another car for someone else. I had to give up my Accord. Long story. I know its only a car ,but it was so tough. :(

I cannot believe that GM actually thinks that this is the best they can do about this engine! They are proud of this? When someone tested this car, they actually thought that this was satisfactory. I now have nearly 13k on the car, and it is "slightly" ever so slightly more smoother now than earlier mileage. But, its not going to get any better. I really love the car itself, but the engine, I am going to be completely honest, it sucks! Badly! I tell you what, if it did have a better engine, it would be a VERY nice package. I am not bashing GM, but this is all coming from my experience with my G6, I actually want to drive a new 09 with the 6spd auto. I want my Honda back!! I want to go test drive one, to see the difference again. Maybe I should, but I might want out even more, when now is not the time to trade. But, I will soon!! Summer or fall.

I will be writing GM a complete review of my experience, this is exactly why the company is suffering. Sooner or later is catches up if you do thing half effort. Perhaps my car is not the norm of all other G6's ? I would love your take on it if you have 4cyl.
  • riswami1riswami1 Member Posts: 33
    I have to respond to the last post. We purchased a 2008 G6, Base model at the end of December. The car is being driven daily by my daughter who is a fourth year college student.

My concerns when I bought the car were the following:

- four speed transmission
    - no keyless entry
    - no cruise control

For the price none of the above was a deal breaker and she was certainly happy.

Why we bought the car:

- purchase price was $12,888 (brand new, 5 miles on the odo when we took it for a test drive)
    - GM has been making this car sice 2005, I believe the 4 cylinder models debuted in 2007, thus there was a track record.
    - car handled competently
    - some nice features, for example auto headlights and information display
    - good fuel economy for a roomy car
    - a Hyundai Sonata would have costed at least 4k more; not in our budget and frankly not worth 4k more than the deal we got. We did test drive a Sonata and felt it was a nicer car.

I read this board before making the decision. I disregarded the last posters comments. The constant references to the Honda Accord adds no value to this forum.

I have driven this car on at least three occasions. I don't find anything wrong with the engine and the transmission. As a matter of fact I think it is an extremely competent vehicle. I purchased a 07 Mazda 6 brand new in November 07. Yes I prefer my Mazda. The Mazda now has 17k on it. I especially like the steering and handling of the Mazda when compared to the G6. However, I could live with the Pontiac. I should also state that I paid 4,800 more for the Mazda than this G6. And yes I've read the reviews on the Mazda and it was criticized for lack of interior room, yet the new one is judged too big by many of the reviewers; go figure. The motto is buy what makes you happy; being go for a deal or pay the price for a car that satisfies you.
    You are exactly right. I am going to pick the car I want next time. I think I stated somewhere, it wasn't my choice to get the car, but I actually like it now.

Its too bad the car only has 7.8 rating, and it only has 2 reviews. It does deserve more than that. I like the car. But, again, they too are comparing it to its competition. If there is such a thing now for the G6.

For me, its only a lease, I'll have another in awhile.

It is all on what we are used to. Thanks though. :)
    I have yet to see any "new" 2009 G6's that are slightly revised. It might be the slow economy, they are slow to arrive since the current models have not moved too quickly. I have seen only 1, and that was at my work place. But, it was the V6 model. It sorta looks more like the GXP, a little overdone. More like a matchbox car.
    I am not sure where they going with it, it looks mismatched. I prefer the original design of it. It looks more classy and tasteful. I truly believe they are at a dead end with the car. You certainly do not see people here getting excited about any new look. Like beating a dead horse.

I like my salsa red G6, it really look sharp in the sun, all shiny. I have a lease, and well, I should be lucky to have one.
  • riswami1riswami1 Member Posts: 33
    Can anyone tell me what size wrench is needed to removed the oil pan drain plug and the location of the plug? Does the car have to be driven up a ramp or can you crawl under and get to the drain plug.

I plan on doing my first oil change on a 2008, G6 with the 2.4. I just purchased the oil filter housing socket.

Thanks
  • bobr55bobr55 Member Posts: 1
    GM ELECTRONIC STEERING SYSTEMS VARY DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR AND MODEL OF VEHICLE YOU HAVE. SOME INCORPORATE A ELECTRIC MOTOR ALONG WITH WITH A HYDRALIC PUMP, AND OTHER ARE STRICTLY ELECTRONIC. THE STRAIGHT ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS USUALLY HAVE THE CONTROL MODULE, ELECTRIC MOTOR AND SENSORS INTERGRATED AS A UNIT UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL AND TOWARDS THE FIREWALL. GM HAS HAD COMPLAINTS OF STEERING LOCKUP WITH BOTH SYSTEMS. THE PROBLEM WITH ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS IS THAT THEY RELY ON INPUTS FOR VARIOUS SUBSYSTEMS IN ORDER TO MAKE STEERING CORRECTIONS. ANY PROBLEMS WITH A SUBSYSTEM THEN CAN ALSO BECOME A STEERING PROBLEM. THEN THERE IS THE SOFTWARE
    USED TO DRIVE THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS FOR STEERING SYSTEM. ANY PROGRAMMING GLITCHES OR CURCUIT FAILURES HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR STEERING PROBLEMS. OF COURSE THERE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FAIL SAFE FEATURES IN PLACE IN CASE OF SUCH FAILURES. MY POINT IS THAT THESE SYSTEMS ARE TO COMPLICATED FOR THE AVERAGE DRIVER OR HOME MECHANIC. TEST EQUIPMENT IS EXPENSIVE TO ISOLATE THE SOURCE OF FAILURE. THE BEST SOULUTION MAY BE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (www.nhtsa.gov )AND LET OPEN A CASE AGAINST GM AND OTHERS TO REPAIR THESE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS UNDER A FEDERAL RECALL CAMPAIGN WHICH THEN WILL PLACE THE COST OF THE DEFECTIVE SYSTEMS ON THE SUPPLIERS AND NOT THE CONSUMERS. :sick:
  • nypsumdnypsumd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 G6 and it occasionally doesn't start when warm - the engine turns over but doesn't catch. I can get it to start by pushing the gas pedal a little so it seems like something is wrong with fuel delivery.

Has anyone else experineced this and, if so, were you able to fix it?
  • palmer9palmer9 Member Posts: 2
    I am a gm technician there is a bulletin for that type of noise they say that some of the flywheel bolts are cross threaded rattling against the flywheel hopefully this might help.
  • palmer9palmer9 Member Posts: 2
    i am a gm technician you are right some dealers dont do their job but if the problem is not there when you bring it in we cant fix it, we are technicians not magicians.
    Haha!
  • jhayes9835jhayes9835 Member Posts: 20
    Every so often when I try to start my 08 G6, nothing happens. When I turn on the ignition switch, I am sure the electrics come on but nothing to the starter. I have notice this when I use the remote start as well. Has anyone had this problem and what should I start looking for? In a seperate issue, every so often I hear a peculiar noise that sounds like a paper bag inflating. This noise happens even when I am driving down the road. Any suggestions?
    GM is offering preventative maintenance on my 08 Pontiac G6. This includes 4 complimentary oil changes, tire rotation, 27 point inspection. This is very nice of them. I was almost "not" going to open the mail which held this certificate. I normally glance at it, and its typically junk mail. But, was surprised to see them offering this. I thank them for this! This will get me through, planning to trade in the Spring or Summer though.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I am surprised they offered it on the 08, have it for my 09.
    Well, I think they are calling the preventative service. Their cars may no longer be reproduced, but they have maintenance to prevent issues for the company. And to suck up to us a little bit. lol.
    The 08 would still be considered as it is still within the time frame of warranties.
    But, I was surprised to read further and have this little gift. Glad I actually took time to read it. This will be so nice, this will save a substantial amount of money on just this service.

I just wonder how GM is planning to pay for all of this and what their purpose really was.
    The way I see it, next time they want us to buy a Buick. Right now they don't have one I would want.
    The way I read the letter, GM and the dealer are paying.
    They also see it as a way to advertise new cars. There are many cases where a customer will look at new cars while the car is in the shop for a quick service. I know I have. Sometimes, they make a sale by doing this too. I am thankful for the gift from GM.
    I was going to let my change oil come on, have 7 K now, going in Monday to get the first one. I don't drive much so should get another.
    I just did a KBB trade value on my G6 and its devastating. I know its because the plummeting values of GM and economy, and perhaps will calm down.

Called GMAC customer service to request a pay off and was hung up on and was like pulling teeth. Very bad! Honda never treated me this way.
    You went from Honda to this, why?
  • purd8445purd8445 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed a problem with my 2005 pontiac G6 recently. The heat only works when turned on high. Usually the heat has 4 notches from low to high. I do not know if the knob is broken or if the problem is something more. I have not taken the car to have anyone look at yet. Does anyone had the same problem or know of this problem?
    It was not by choice. I ended up signing 2 leases the same day. A person in my family had a lease come up and due to changing credit rating they were unable to lease another car. So I leased an 08 Jetta for them, however, VW would not allow me to keep the 06 Accord lease and the new VW lease. So, the dealer really put me in a bind, and well they were trying to help me. The manager then ran a GMAC on a G6 and knew they could get me into a G6 lease too. Which is what happened. I leased 2 cars. But, VW would not allow me to keep my Honda. But, yet GM (more casual with their credit) I am only 23.

Dealer did try to help me out, but....

Looking back on it, I should have slowed down and really looked into before doing anything. Who knows, Honda could have signed me too, then I could have had the car I wanted and my family is taken care of too. I was in a lot of pressure.

Lesson learned. There you have it. First experience and last experience with a GM product. See, I was never a GM person. Never did I think I was going to be looking at the GM side of the dealer. But did end up get a loaded G6 and a killer lease.
    Oh well right? I do love my G6. I have the salsa red color, tinted windows and when its clean. She looks great!! Stylish. Sporty looking. Miss the Honda though!!

Advice...Slow down, don't rush. Get what you want. At least I am close to being done with this car. Has lots of memories in it though.

Another good thing. I should have pretty good credit, since I lease 2 cars. Technically in the last 4 years, I have leased a total of 3 cars.
    Common problem, motor resistor.
  • mjb17mjb17 Member Posts: 1
    have had my g6 three years put brake on for the first time . they were sqealing my son scored the drums to keep it from sqealing they stop might try
    About 1 week and half ago, while getting my oil change... I decided to get my current pay off and trade in value. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was. The salesmen who helped me was even surprised. Now, it wasn't real pretty, but was within the number they thought it would be. Usually they said it was over the amount given to me. I don't have the real numbers in front of me.Sorry .. But, was excited that I am now slowly getting better numbers now, that means by summer, with a better lease special on a VW or Honda, I could potentially get out without too much damage. So, I walked in with a mind set of that it was going to be horrible, but it really wasn't bad.

I am about 1yr away from my lease end. Very excited. Not bashing the car, but it will be so nice to have my Accord or VW back. Whoohoo!! There is light at the end of the tunnel!!
    edited May 2010
    Ok. Some think that I perhaps complain a bit about my G6..lol. BUT.... I got back into my car last night 10:05pm after work. Guess what? Surprise!! I was wanting to roll down my windows and sure enough.....they will NOT roll down!!! Again!!

Realize that this is the 3rd time this has occurred!! Apparently, then it was a window switch triggering it, so they replaced the switch. Now what is it?

I sorta laughed about it...I am like really?? So I have had the car for 2 years now
    and have had silly issues with it.

1yr left!! Counting down!! I cannot imagine keeping this car after its warranty!
    Luckily my pay off is getting much lower now. There is light! :D
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    Did you buy or lease? I have a 2008 G6 and this is the first that I've heard of it.
    I leased it! Thankfully! I can walk away from it. I take it to the dealer soon, I hope the find the actual culprit in which is causing the blowing of the window fuse. They though it was the window switch, so the 2nd time they replaced that. Now, the 3rd time....what is it? It is crazy. What if it was raining...I would have to drop it off at the dealer underneath the roofed garage area. That would be horrible. Thanks GM. lol
    I need any opinions about this:

I contacted my dealer yesterday for an appointment. I was going to bring it in yesterday on my day off. I have yet had time to bring the car in. They stated they cannot see my car until next Wednesday! I told them that this is really disappointing. I am sorta mad about this. It is my windows!!! Their all up, but I simply cannot roll them down. This is not my fault, and I feel like this is my punishment. Makes me feel like that if anything goes wrong that it'll have to wait!! The dealer stated that they service more cars now. That is fine, but when do you draw the line.

I almost feel like I need to tell them that I am dropping my car off, then they will need to put me in a car(even though I do not want to leave my car!) So that they can fix it! This is almost unacceptable.

What would you guys do? I am just more frustrated than anything else. It is just windows. But having to wait just for a diagnoses, then not even potentially getting it fixed is just crazy!
    When I call for a appointment I go by there schedule, they have more than one car to repair. I never expected special treatment.
    I never stated that I wanted special treatment. ? :)
    Update:

An electronic module that controls a few of the components such as the buttons, A/C, etc. It is causing the fuse to go out each time. It seems to take a while each time, but will happen again unless this is replaced. So, yet another silly issue with my car. lol. They were more than accommodating, they are willing to come and get my car from work if need be so that work can be done.

So, I am over it. It's their car.
    Hello All!!

Okay, I am curious to what warranties apply to me now. I currently have 37,000 miles on my 2008 G6. It is a lease. I can only have 39,000. But, I am wondering if I am over any type of warranty now. There is no way I will make it until next July 11' for my lease turn in. If I go over my 39,000, then what covers me?

I am still in huge debate whether to get out before going any higher in mileage, but now its a question of warranty that I am not too clear on. I certainly won't be paying anything out of my own pocket for this car.

Thanks for your help!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    You're responsible for any out-of-warranty repairs. Even though it is only a lease so it's not technically your car, you are responsible for upkeep on the vehicle. If something isn't functioning properly on the vehicle when you turn it in, and it's out of warranty, you'd likely be charged for it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes, but I am still not clear on what I am under warranty for now. I am 1,000miles over my basic 36k warranty.

The reason I ask, is that I think that my steering is clunking like others have stated. It is very vague at this point though. But, I do feel that it will only get worse. Barely noticeable now.

So, I should probably try to get out if I can. Issue after issue now. I have 10 months left on my lease, surely, by now there is something they can do. Especially with model year clearance beginning. Any incentives will help bury negative equity.

It almost feels like that if I continue to keep this car, the more of an issue I am going to have.
    I didn't get a response back, but I did find out info from my dealer. My engine and powertrain would be covered, however other repairs might not be. If something like my Windows-they stop rolling. That might be my responsibility.

He advised that I trade sooner than later. As I would still be liable for mileage over the 39k contract limit, even if I trade early before the expiration date. I am not sure if I believe that. But, with the horrors stories about GM leases. I am not willing to take that chance.

Dealer stated the would either take my trade in value/Payoff and figure that into the
    new deal or the remaining payments. Which ever number is lower. I have 9month left. Meaning I have approx Approx 2800 being rolled into the new deal. Not real good, but take my trade and pay off, it is probably a bit higher.

I think either way, I could be digging myself a hole if I keep going. Though each month, 1 number goes down, but then more miles dig my value lower. So I have things going for me and other going against me....All at the same time..!! Ahh!

So, I will be looking sooner than later to trade. Certainly not paying GM any more than I have to.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter hopes to interview one of the few people who bought a new Pontiac recently. Please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by Thursday, October 21, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• purd8445purd8445 Member Posts: 3
    In my 2005 Pontiac G6, my remote keyless entry does not work anymore. When I unlock the door with the key, the alarm goes off and the lights flicker. How do I turn off the alarm?

The last time I was at the dealer, the technician did not have a solution to the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • zeb4212zeb4212 Member Posts: 1
    The gear shift is very difficult and sometimes impossible to come out of park. This has been during cold weather only. The button will not go in all the way. After lots of attempts of pushing in the button and the outside air warming, it can be shifted. Also, there are times when the key will not come out of the ignition switch. We have 2 keys and it happens with both of them. At one point, we were able to push it in a little and then pull it out, but now that doesn't work either.
    It makes sense that these 2 things are related since you aren't supposed to be able to put the car in gear unless the car is running and you aren't supposed to be able to get the key out if the car is not in park.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    zeb4212,
    Have you taken your vehicle in to the dealer? How long have you been experiencing this problem? Can you please e-mail me with your Edmunds username, complete contact information, VIN, and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    purd8445,
    Have you had any progress with the dealer? Has the issue been resolved? If your dealer is unable to fix the problem for you, you can always seek a second opinion from a different dealer. Please update me on your situation, thanks.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • daniella0205daniella0205 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem you were with the steering/turning the wheel slowly and hearing/feeling a thump in or around the foot pedals.... did you ever find out what it was
    Just the intermediate shaft, needs some lube.
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    My fiance' is a mechanic for GM. I've been telling him about my steering, especially on cold mornings, where at low speeds, it feels harder to turn one direction than the other. A slight clunking noise .. just felt weird. He found out there was a special bulletin that came out summer 2010 for G6 steering problem and the entire steering column needs replaced. GM paid for the exchange and I've had no problems since. Maybe this will help you. :shades:
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Have a 2009 G6 GXP Sedan with 45,500 miles
    -1 Tire pressure monitor is bad
    -Clunk/knock sound front right drivers side when going over bumps
    -Power steering seems like its shuddering when trying to make a full turn of the wheel in either direction and fluid is full
    -Slight buzzing sound coming from the right side when in overdrive that seems to go in sync with the acceleration , if i speed up it goes away during the acceleration and comes back once the car is in 6th gear, mainly heard @ 40-70 mph

I have seen alot of TSB's on the car that relate to most of these issues, does GM TSB's only apply during the 3yr/36K miles or could these issues be covered since the car is just 1.5 yrs old.
    -Power steering seems like its shuddering when trying to make a full turn of the wheel in either direction and fluid is full
    -Slight buzzing sound coming from the right side when in overdrive that seems to go in sync with the acceleration , if i speed up it goes away during the acceleration and comes back once the car is in 6th gear, mainly heard @ 40-70 mph

I have seen alot of TSB's on the car that relate to most of these issues, does GM TSB's only apply during the 3yr/36K miles or could these issues be covered since the car is just 1.5 yrs old.

Your over on mileage. TSB's are just for service personnel information.
    You might try your dealer if you have good relations, like all you maintenance done there. They are called good will repairs.