Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

99 GMC Sierra

Comments

• Options
    ckobashckobash Member Posts: 48
    Hello everyone! Good news found out today my truck was built on 3/22 and released to the transport company the same day, i'm guessing couple more weeks to make it here to hawaii? I can't wait but at least i know it's on its way!
    Tungle: thanks for responding, is there any drilling required to install the cover?
  • Options
    arto: I'm no expert but from my own research the 99 sierra/silverado is a whole new truck under the skin different technolgy from the frame,engine, wiring harness etc. Also motor trends truck of the year. My feeling is Gm will come out with 4 doors in the next year i think it is probably their biggest mistake and they know it just my 2Cents
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    I had the Fold-A-Cover installed on my Silverado today. I like it. It comes in in four sections attached together with continues hinges. It seems properly sealed all around including the hinges. The rear most cover locks the tailgate and opens by folding over the next panel. There are aluminum slide locks to hold it shut tight at the rails or to hold it folded over. The panel closest to the cab locks and opens separately. The other three panels all fold over the one panel near the cab so that your bed can be 3/4 open.

The panels are maded of black painted dimpled aluminum both sides with about a 1/2" hard sandwich material between. There is some drilling required to attach the two side rails. The panels rest on a vinyl seal along the rails.

Fold-A-Cover is a company located in Grand Rapids, MI. When I called them they said the local dealer is the Chevy Dealer. My understanding is the technician at the dealer had installed a few covers before mine. They estimated 4 hours. I don't think they took that long considering what they charged for installation. The Chevy Dealer sells it for $595 plus tax and labor. I've seen cheaper pricing mailorder online but don't think I would want to attempt to install it myself.

It has a low, flat profile and appears with panel, vinyl seal and rails to appear about one inch thick.

I figure most of the time I will only lift the rear panel to load groceries and the cab forward panel to store tools. Occasionally I would fold back all the panels to haul a large item.

I don't think the Aerocover folds out of the way like this one.
  • Options
    Davydd: Thanks for the info,sounds like the fold-a-cover is what i am looking for
  • Options
    huntmanhuntman Member Posts: 25
    As far as getting a new Sierra crew cab or extended cab, I would order a 2000 model 2500 extended cab with the 5.3L Engine unless you are going to do lots of towing over 8000 lbs. I have had my 99 GMC Ext Cab 4x4 SLT 5.3L for 1800 miles and a month now. It is a very nice truck, much nicer than the previous geneneration. The ext. cab is wonderful. Unless you are going to be hauling five or six people daily I wouldn't sacrifice with an old style. The new style will have better resale in the future. Four doors may come out in two thousand. At this point I think if I could wait, I would order in June for one. Three doors for me are just fine. If you get the manual seats, the drivers side seat slides out of the way very easily for entry or putting stuff in. They are both nice trucks. I bought mine for 500 over invoice and he said he could deal in the future at invoice when they aren't such hot sellers.

Good luck
    Huntman
  • Options
    tungletungle Member Posts: 56
    I'm really HAPPY! Last night, I stopped by the
    dealer and signed off the paper, and, of course,
    tested my babe. It's awesome, like Dave40 always
    says. Will pick it up tonight...

cobash, Davydd said all about the cover. Just to
    clarify, 4 holes (one on each end of the 2 rails)
    and rivets. I was tempted to do it but finally
    thought that they certainly would do a nicer job
    than I could by myself (no helpers).

Tung
  • Options
    dkwhitlodkwhitlo Member Posts: 5
    Ordered my sierra 2/25/98 and am expecting it to be delivered by the end of April or the first of May. Indigo blue oak interior SLE with 5.3l and ext cab. There is a guy that works where I do and has the same truck except for the interior color and I see it everyday and it is driving me crazy.
    this will be my first new vehicle purchase in 10 years. I will let everyone know when it gets in.
    The dealer said they would call when they get the
    MSO so that I could set up my financing. I did not ask what MSO meant. Can someone tell me.
    Good luck to everyone who is still waiting with me.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    MSO = Manufacturer's Statement of Origin
  • Options
    Congrats Tungle, Don't forget us and let us know how she handles.
    dkwhitlo: you sound pretty optimistic about when you getting your truck. I ordered mine 1/18 and still have not received mine. I hope your right but i think it might take longer.
  • Options
    g8trg8tr Member Posts: 77
    Congrats Tungle! I've had mine for a little over 2 weeks and love every minute. The trucks handles very well. On the first tank of gas I got 16.8 mpg with strictly city driving. I will tow my boat (it's small) next week and I'm looking forward to see how the truck handles. This GMC is a nice truck and it looks nicer than the Chevy (my biased opinion)

dkwhitlo: I ordered on 1/9 and it was delivered on 3/18. Not to say that it won't get here in a month but most deliveries have been taking longer.
  • Options
    g8tr: I believe you are correct in your opinion of the sierra looking better then the silverado, that is why i got the sierra, because it looked better. Same truck different skin. No offense silverado owners you come in a very close second in my opinion. Not looking to start an argument,peace
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Have fun with your Sierras, but Silverado much better looking! Ooohhh Like a Rock....
  • Options
    fasteddie1fasteddie1 Member Posts: 20
    Who cares much about how they look...? ...if you need one right away as I did...it's what you can get at least when it comes to the 2500 ExCab, 4WD, LB, 6.0, 3.73 and what you have to pay for it IF you CAN get one... and that folks... is why I am driving a GMC instead of a Chevy...and why I also got one in Maine of all places when I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN A SIMILAR 2500 CHEVY OR GMC in all of Phoenix or on any dealer's lot...
  • Options
    Geez i should know better then to compare a sierra and silverado's looks w/o starting something, we are all brothers, but then again brothers do fight;) So what the hell, sierra's look alot better! TAKE IT EZ SILVERADO BROTHER'S JUST KIDDING:)
  • Options
    haulinhaulin Member Posts: 17
    Ordered my 6.0L 2500 4X4 extended cab longbed on 2/5. Just got a build date of 5/9. Sounds like the production line is moving again. Hope I can wait that much longer!
  • Options
    I must confess. I was a Ford owner for 12 yrs. My F150 was a pretty good truck and I would have bought another one but the new shape wouldn't grow on me. Plus, when GM came out w/the new engines, there was no reason to go back. Comparing a Ford XL w/V8 and a Sierra SL w/V8 is a no brainer. The Sierra comes with more standard equipment and more power than the Ford. It definitely looks a lot better also!
    As for the Chevy's, I was going to buy one if my dealer couldn't deliver as promised. As fasteddie1 says, you buy what's available. I'm glad I didn't though, the Sierra has the looks. :)
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    I used to like the GMC's better in the old body style. Then when the new style came out I changed to liking the Chevy better. It is a matter of personal taste. I also do not like the painted bumper on the Sierra as it would get eaten up by the bugs down here! If I hadn't got the Chevy it would have been the sierra! Like he said we are all GM truck fans!
  • Options
    Hi Guys,
    I only had about 150 miles on mine, but I really
    love it. Powerful but comfortable and smooth.

But I do have a problem; I hate people pushing
    me from behind because I'm trying to break in
    my truck properly (not more than 60mph).

Wish all those who are waiting get their trucks
    soon and enjoy it like I am.
    Tung
  • Options
    tungle,
    You need an extended hitch with two inch ball sticking out of that receiver to ward off those tailgating Neons.
  • Options
    Tung, I agree w/quad , it would also be a good time to test those disc brakes and crumple a few hoods.
  • Options
    Tung, glad to hear your having fun w/your truck. Still waiting on mine built on 3/22 and turned over to transport co. same day. Highlight of my day is coming home from work and cking phone answering machine and hopefully getting a message saying my truck has arrived.
    g8tr: i guess we can forgive you now that you have seen the light;)
  • Options
    nowickslnowicksl Member Posts: 20
    19.6mpg. on one tank of gas. 18.03 overall average on a holiday trip of 1000miles with my 99 5.3 4wd 3.73 gear Sierra starting with 800 miles. Smoote and comfortable, can't see why with a tonneay I can't get 20mpg. Unheard of with a gas engine?
  • Options
    jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I'm just browsing here to see how you guys and gals like the new sierra. I have just checked out Auto.com and looked at the pictures of the new 2000 Yukon (at the NY auto show).

I'm looking to buy one of the Yukons when it comes out and since it is based on the new sierra, I am interested in how you guys are liking your purchases. It sounds like I can't go wrong!

I am curious about the 4x4 vs 4x2 ride. Did anyone do any comparison?

I currently have a 1992 4x4 explorer and am getting less and less thrilled with the ride and have only had it in 4x4 4 times since I bought it new! (I just feel like I'm buying a big station wagon if I get a 4x2 though).
  • Options
    Guys (for those who have not), take a look at topic #624 (GMC 99 trans vibration) and check on your truck and let us know. I called my dealer and
    will bring it in next Monday for them to take a look. I also mentioned that a lot of us noticed this problem. I will probably not let them to tear off my trans until they call and check with GM about the problem.
    Tung
  • Options
    Tung: you have the trans vibration or just going in to see if you do? I hope this is not a major problem Good luck
  • Options
    I do have it. Even though it's not severe and
    as described before, it would go away passing 40mph. I just a bit concerned about the health
    of the trans. I have a habit of listening to my
    vehicles while driving just to early detect
    some problems. I'll let you guys know what the
    dealer says about this vibration.

Talked to a friend at work who has owned
    a few vehicles, and he said that usually auto
    trans has light vibr at some synchronizer lock-up
    speed (if I remembered correctly) which could be
    at 40 mph on this vehicle. According to him, it is
    normal.
  • Options
    Filled the first tank Sat. night. Too few miles to
    report mileage, but just a note after 368 miles: average of 16.5 mpg; 60% highway at 55-60mph; 40% city. (I have 4.8L, 3.73 rear, ext. cab)

Had fold-a-cover and Rhino's liners installed.
    Love the look and feel. Looks cool. Fold-a-cover
    is pretty sturdy but light in weight.

Stopped by dealer this morning for the trans check-up. He said it's probably normal due to the
    torque converter lockup. I am still keeping an
    eye on the problem.

Tung
  • Options
    RoitanRoitan Member Posts: 6
    I placed my order yesterday (4-13-99). The stats are as follows:

- SLE extended cab
    - Z-71
    - Towing Package
    - 3.73 Rear Axle
    - 5.3 L engine
    - 265 OBW tires
    - Black with Graphite Cloth
    - Limited Slip rear
    - Machined Cast Wheels

I live in Albuquerque and couldn't even find a dealer to get as low as $1000 over invoice for an order. I ended up ordering from a small dealership in Oklahoma. I figure it gives me an excuse to go back and see some family.

The wait begins.
  • Options
    alchavezalchavez Member Posts: 28
    roitan,

I live in Albuquerque too and am interested to know which dealerships you tried and what was the best price each would do. I do know that the Westside GMC dealership retains a sales-staff of compulsive liers because I got a different salesman to tell me an outrageous lie each of the three times I visited them.

Lie #1) "Oh.. we won't be getting the new Sierra for six more months." (They had them on the lot within the week.)

Lie #2) "Oh.. you can't replace the radio with an aftermarket one because it contains a computer that is an integral part of the truck's electronics. Besides, it will void your warranty." "Oh.. and did you know that you will have to call a tow truck and have it towed to the dealership if your battery ever dies because the computer has to be reset in order for the truck to start."

Lie #3) "Oh..Gm will never make a fourth door and never intended to because it makes the truck's structure too weak."

Really makes you wonder if they really want you to buy a truck from them or not. I choose not.

Sorry about the rant everyone, just had to get that off my chest.

alchavez
  • Options
    alchavez

I pretty much experienced the same thing as you with the Westside GMC dealership. I also checked out Reliable, Casa, Beverly Luna, and Viva Motors in Socorro. After getting down to not even 1,000 over invoice for an order I decided that I was going to go to Okalhoma and pay $300 over invoice.

It seems like someone in one of these Chevy or GMC discussions said that they talked to someone in the Denver area that would order one for invoice. If that someone reads this please post the Dealer name and number as I am sure there are some poeple that could send them some business.

Roi Tan
  • Options
    Thank you Roi Tan.

I have a brother-in-law who works at Quality GMC and I'm counting on him to get me a good deal. However, I think I'll wait for the 2000's to see about that fourth door.

Keep us up to date on your truck-ordering experience will ya?

Alchavez
  • Options
    dkwhitlodkwhitlo Member Posts: 5
    Alchavez and Roi Tan,
    You guys hang in there, and keep looking because
    there are dealers that will sell for 200 under invoice. Because of dealer holdbacks (typically 3%on gm vehicles) they will still be making $550 on a $25,000 dollar truck. I live in Huntsville, AL
    and found two dealers who would give me this deal.
    I am still waiting on mine that was orderd on 2/25/99.
    Later,
    dkwhitlo
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    Just got a delivery date of 4/20 hope it's true, can't wait till i get mine and can write about it. keep post coming on how the truck handles not everyone got theirs and it's reassuring to read how you like your trucks, hell might be the highlight of my day ;)
  • Options
    Hello everyone, hope everyone got their taxes done.
    My truck came in today and went down to ck it out supposed to be here4/20 but got here early and caught me off guard have to do some paper work hopefully i get it by saturday.
    Jus to refresh everyone memory slt 1500, 5.3,tow package, indigo blue ,pewter interior
  • Options
    fasteddie1fasteddie1 Member Posts: 20
    I tried for weeks to get straight info out of the GMC dealers here in Phoenix with no luck...said I would have to pay at least retail and wait 14-16 weeks IF they could even get what I wanted. Went home to Maine for my mother's funeral and ended up buying a 6.0, 4WD, LB, EXT CAB, 3.73, Towing Package, etc. right off the transport truck for just $500 over... no waiting...they put in the sliding rear window and extra battery options I wanted at cost...go figure... the dealer told me that GMC sells more GMCs in Maine than in any other individual state... hard to believe...but he HAD the truck I wanted when no one else seemed to... After 4500 miles NO problems...12-14 MPG around town... 9-12 MPG miles towing...
  • Options
    kilgorekilgore Member Posts: 2
    We picked up my wife's Sierra SL 4/14 after about a 10 week wait. Ordered the base model short bed with A/C, Auto and cassette only. Fit and finish look good. We paid $354 over invoice in Charleston, SC. I shopped the other dealer in the area and telephoned 3 others within 60 miles. That was the best deal I could find. Originally she wanted an F-150 but the seats were uncomfortable for her because she is short, so went to GMC. Hers was built in Indiana during the week of 3/22. Hers has General tires and I wish it had Goodyears. The 6 cylinder is peppy enough for her to commute with. She will use it primarily as a passenger vehicle. She ordered an aftermarket A.R.E. hard bedcover which was $679 with the website $20 coupon.
  • Options
    Congrats!!! Pick up your truck, drive it and
    tell us how you love it! So far, I love every
    mile I put on my truck.
    Tung
  • Options
    Thanks tung
    Got my paperwork in today, the credit union has to cut a ck to the dealor in ohio then he sends the title to the local dealer here(Hawaii)Hopefully by early next week i can take it, so far i've seen it, worse then going to a strip bar (see but don't touch ;) ) but i guess a few more days won't kill me
  • Options
    hankt1,
    That Sierra is nice, but you can't go to the party unless you wear the Chevy Bowtie!
  • Options
    Hankt1: I agree w/dave, great choice
  • Options
    I think that anyone who purchases the GMC will be pretty happy. I agree w/dave & ckobash. After about a month and around 1200 miles I'm a happy camper. I'm getting 16-17 mpg w/my 4.8, 3.42 combo. It also does quite well when I'm pulling my boat. My Triglass topper should be in this week. I'll put some Llumar tint on the windows and I'll be in pretty good shape.

kilgore: I was also looking at the Ford but went with the GMC because it is definitely a nicer truck for the money. I too purchased an SL but I got a V8, appearance pkg., and the conv. group. It is a nice little rig. In terms of features (like the seats), GMC is the way to go. And I was a Ford owner for 12 years so I should know.

ckobash: It has been a while and congrats on the truck. I know you're excited. Keep us posted. I want to know how she runs!
  • Options
    hankt1hankt1 Member Posts: 2
    ckobash & dave40, thanks for the support and yes I am excited.

quadrunner500, liked most of your advice, but could never wear a bowtie. I've partied just fine.
  • Options
    If you live with dogs, you're gonna' get fleas!
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful! - 1999 Silverado
  • Options
    knobbyknobby Member Posts: 60
    I've posted before on the (sic) Silverado forum before I found this Sierra forum. In my postings to that forum. I related about how I was being jerked around by the Chevy dealer for almost a month. They were fast deal artists, but slow on delivery and with information about the truck I ordered. I only got promises, alibis and excuses about the Silverado that I had ordered. I am happy that I canceled that order and switched to the Sierra. On April 1, I ordered a Sierra SLE 1500, 2wd, regular cab long bed, 5.3 auto, 3.42 locker, Z85, Z82, two tone Summit White/Storm Gray. This dealer, I felt, treated me right. No fast dealing, no bulls**t and no pressure to sign the contract. I not only got the vehicle order detail on the spot, but two days later called me to say that I have a tentative born on week of 5-3-99, with an alternate week of 5-10-99. This was all accomplished in four days. Now it is the waiting that is killing me! Cannot wait to drive the best truck I have driven in a long time.

Just had a thought (To keep the bowties from joinning this forum). For an entry to this forum, may be we should require proof of purchase, or a picture of your Sierra. HA HA, just kidding!! PEACE brother. ;-)
  • Options
    I got a tentative build (oops born on) date of 5-17 or 5-24 with an expected delivery of 2 weeks after that. While I'm not going to hold my breath it would appear that the production problems are getting worked out if these dates hold true. This is what I have ordered: 99 GMC Sierra SLE, Z-71, Trailering Package, 5.3L engine, Bright Machined Cast Wheels, 265 tires, Limited Slip, 3.73, Active X-Fer Case, Onyx Black with Graphite cloth interior. My brother-in-law got his last Friday and the wait is now just tearing me up.

Roi-Tan
  • Options
    Crossing my fingers for you Roi-Tan.

alchavez
  • Options
    huntmanhuntman Member Posts: 25
    I just read at Wheels.com that GM has stopped taking orders on the GMC/Chevy as of now for the 1999 model year. They are slated to start production of the two thousand model on 6/15. Im afraid to say that for those of us like me there may be a four door 2000 model out by the fourth of July and we don't have 5000 miles on ours yet. I hope that I am wrong since I got mine Feb 28th but I may be right. Talk about fast depreciation.

Best of luck
    Huntman
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    Talked to my dealer last week and asked him what he is hearing about the 4 door and he thinks maybe mid-year 2000.
  • Options
    mtv1mtv1 Member Posts: 7
    just got a call from my dealer,factory is refusing orders from dealers from this point on. my reg cab silverado didn't get ordered. signed contract and made my deposit jan 22.i got jerked around. all the excuses about the strike holding up production and such. am not happy with chevy or gmc as have been jerked by both. ordered one of each and neither worked out. order a 2000 is what i'm told now.ahhhh, the joys of living in the boondocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mtv1; sorry to hear about your troubles, i would be pissed if they jerked w/ me. Can't imagine after few months they telling me my order was not accepted.
This discussion has been closed.