Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Better to get the sale, rather then let it go to Honda,Toyota, etc. GM has lost market share and cannot win back customers with boring styling of the VUE or the cheap Susuki-clone: the Tracker.

The new Saturn Ion has been put down about it's strange dashboard and interior design.

Consumers want quality, value and a sexy look. Saturn's got 2 out of the 3, but thats not enough to beat Honda.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think the VUE exterior is far better than the new CR-V. That said, Honda has an edge for the interior. As I understand it, the VUE will get a refresh next year. Who knows, maybe a better interior with that.
    Went to the Toronto show today and saw the Equinox. All I can say is it's very nice. Got a brochure with a picture of the interior also, looks like this one will be a winner.
    I guess the rear hatch is a one piece swing up right? Are the exterior panels steel or plastic like the VUE? Would you say it looks bigger then the VUE or CRV?
    It's all steel and the back hatch is one piece though the window may pop out (couldn't tell).

The Equinox is bigger than the VUE/CR-V, though not much. It's billed as the biggest in class which I would agree with. We shall see how big it is inside where it counts though.

Forgot to mention, they had pictures of the interior and it's very nice. Has a brushed aluminum look to it.
    I signed up for info on the Chevy web site last week when info becomes available. They FEDEX me a one page glossy flier with a letter saying a brochure would be mailed out in April. Probably the same one handed out at the auto shows. I'll check it out at the NY Auto show in April. You'll probably get them on the street first since you're north of the border. Hopefully the car rags will get preview drives this fall and report if the NOX is worth waiting for.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    The Vue is already one of the larger mini-utes in it's class and the Equinox is a stretch of that platform? Seems like the Nox is getting dangerously close to the Trailblazer in size, only it doesn't have the power to back it up.
    While it does make the Vue look rather plain, I'm not sure I'm crazy about the "Chevy Truck" front end and the Doge Caravan-like rear. They seem to be making a big deal about the sliding rear seat but the CR-V's been there/done that. Is the floor inside flat, Dindak? like the CR-V, or is there a hump down the middle. It certainly shouldn't want for space, but we'll have to see how the price/power and fuel economy spec's out.
    artdecho : The windows were blacked out so I could not see inside. The vehicle is not all that close to Trailblazer size, closer to the size of the old Blazer. The one pager I got says the vehicle has sliding rear seats and height adjustable cargo shelf (that doubles as a picnic table). Nothing about how flat the seats fold though.

joey : NOX looks like it's worth waiting for. The interior looks better (and more up scale) than the VUE and I think I like the exterior better also. My concerns is the mileage (vs VUE) and the price. If it's comparable to the V6 Escape, we will likely consider it.
    I like the trailblazer's styling, I just found it too oversized for the volume of interior space (like most GM products). So I think the NOX looks like a mini-Trailblazer. Hopefully it's unitized-body, so no overweight truck frame rails. Of course with a AWD drive train and the need to strengthen the unitized-floor pan, you have to have a small hump in the floor. I didn't think the CRV had sliding rear seats, but I wouldn't call that feature a deal breaker. The photos have the rear wiper arm mounted to the hatch door so I guess the glass does not open, too bad. Hopefully some more changes will be worked into the design.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I could not see a hump in the one in Chicago. The 'Nox is designed lower to ground than the Trailblazer. It should also be more nimble. It will certainly be an alternative for people who want the space but do not need to tow.
  • jon1102jon1102 Member Posts: 16
    Post #62 I used to work for a Hyundai dealership and the Santa Fe rear wiper was mounted to the body and the rear window still opened so just because the Equinox is like this doesn't mean the window won't open.
  • jon1102jon1102 Member Posts: 16
    I know you said you don't recall seeing Honda problem boards. You obviously haven't visited edmunds discussion boards on Honda. I checked the other day on the Honda CRV and there were over 200 postings on problems alone. Also, a posting to read before buying a CRV.
    I don't really need the space or the poor gas mileage a Trailblazer has though it is a nice truck. The Equinox looks more upscale than any truck in the small SUV category and it's also the most aggressive in terms of styling. Flat folding seats would be nice, I don't care about the sliding rear seats though.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    Anyone know how the Equinox will compare in size and price to the Ford Escape ?
    The CRV has been out 6 years now. Only 200 problems is fantastic. If you read some of the posts, there's always a few complaints that every model will have. I have the first '97 model and it's a champ, not a rattle or problem. Complains: Sure, it's slow. There was one minor recall. Let's compare that to the Escape problem tread with thousands of entries.
    I laughed reading the Liberty problem tread that was started as soon as the car came out! Check out the VUE treads: CVT transmissions are already being replaced. The Free Lander tread has a guy with a new transmission, power window motor failure and dead AC in less then 10K miles!
    The 'Nox will be somewhat larger than the Escape.

Price has not been disclosed yet, but reports are the base model will come in at less than 20k US.
    wgr : Could not sit in the NOX at the Toronto show, but it certainly looks bigger than the Escape.

joey : The CR-V is a very good compact SUV. My 2 beefs with it are there is no FWD version available in Canada and I'm not crazy about the looks of the new model. Pretty much any other compact SUV looks better to me aside from the Santa FE which is just ugly.
    Dindak:
    I agree with you on some points. I'm not crazy about the look of the front end (Pilot looks much better) and the excessive black plastic bumpers looks cheap on the lighter colors. Up North I guess you're getting body colored bumpers which will probably show up next model year in the states.
    I have a '97 CRV I want to replace next year. The 'nox looks great in photos, but I'll hold off until I see it at the Auto Show. I thought the FreeLand was a great looking car until I saw how small it was at the show.

My fear of the 'nox is in reading it's sister Vue tread. A lot of defect postings. GM probbaly needs to put the low tech 3.4L V6 in there just to keep the major recalls down.

jon1102: The rear wiper looks like it sits "parked" on the read glass with the wiper motor mount on the hatch door. That means fixed glass unless this gets changed.
    Most of the Vue problems seem to center around the CVT transmission, not the motors. Both the 3.0L and the Ecotec are perfectly reliable and proven. The V6 VUE problems have been minor to none and CR gives it an average reliability rating with excellent crash test ratings.

In terms of looks, it's as good if not better in person as it is in the pictures. I only wish I could see other colors.
    I think for all ten years of Saturn history the engine noise has always been written up in the car rags. Maybe the Vue should get the 3.4L from China and give the Honda 3.5L to the 'nox and I'll be one of the first on line with my deposit money!
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    VUE Escape Equinox

HP 181 201 185
      Torque 195 196 210
      Length 181.3 173 187.3
      Ht 66.4 69.1 66.2
      Width 71.6 70.1 72.2
      Wheel Base 106.6 103.1 112.5
      Weight 3491 3457 3740

Will the extra torque make up for the additional weight ? I'd like to see more hp.
    Now, just supose we had the Pilot 3.5 with 240hp and 242lb of torque. I worthy match. I'd even buy GM stock again.
    wgr : I've driven a V6 VUE twice and thought the 180hp there was fine. The 3.4L in the NOX will have more hp/torque so I can't imagine it will be any worse, even with the slight weight disadvantage.

joey : The 3.4L in the NOX is all politics. It really should be getting one of the new I-6 engines the pickups are getting but because it's being built at a Suzuki joint venture, GM figures it's a good place to import the Chinese V6 motors to satisfy the government there (ie. get GM exporting from china for hard currency).
    Even the pickup's inline 5cyl. would sound like a great motor: 220HP with 225lb of torque A 3.5L all aluminum with dual overhead cams! Doesn't Canada have an import quota on foreign car parts?
    Not sure, but I think it's the least objectionable place to the CAW for GM to import engines. Ingersol is a plant that was already using imported engines in the Trackers / Sidekicks. Still no word on what Suzuki is building at the plant though, perhaps they will just update the Sidekick.
  • 95dyna95dyna Member Posts: 1
    As my '95 Jimmy became ready to be replaced I looked forward to the intro of the Envoy/Trailblazer only to find that they are short on interior space for the size of the vehicle. The Envoy is 5" taller than my Jimmy yet does not have enough headroom for me at 6'4" to have a sunroof. The published specs on the Equinnox tell me that it will be bigger than the old Jimmy/Blazer. 4" longer, almost 6" longer wheelbase, 4.5" wider and about an inch taller. This sounds like an ideal size and clearly larger than all the other mini-utes. I too would like to see the I5 that the Canyon/Colorado will get. We'll see, I'm hanging onto the Jimmy and waiting for this one.
    The NOX looks like a decent size and the smaller engine should yield better mileage than you Jimmy. I don't need a lot of HP as I don't tow so Equinox looks ideal for us in the next couple of years. I just hope the quality is good out of the gate. TB/Envoy had some issues in it's first year.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    even i must admit the equinox looks like it will win a lot of fans.
  • acegeoacegeo Member Posts: 1
    Presently drive a saab 9-3 which I love. But 3-4 years I could easily see myself in an equinox. Engine should be fine whether it is upgraded or stays the same. Same engine in other heavier cars that get good mileage and still get adequate to good performance. Size looks fantastic and options look good. I assume the back seats will fold flat because after having a hatch that is an important consideration for me. I will keep a close eye on this discussion.

I would guess that this vehicle would get the same engine thats in the colorado in a year or two after introduction.

Please keep this thread going.
    The 3.4L V6 the Equinox will get is not the most high tech engine in the world, but it's efficient, smooth and reliable and that's all I care about. You will likely see mileage in the range of the Rendezvous, maybe a little better since the RDV is not the most aerodynamic vehicle around.

Pictures of the interior I got at the auto show look really nice.
    I don't question the reliability of the domestic 3.4L V6, but any info on the 3.4's from China? Is this a new block for them or is it the same source for the tracker? The automatic transmission and 4WD system should be the same one off the VUE V6. Hopefully the VUE will get the bugs out of that before the 'NOX is released. Without a proven engine/drive train combo, I don't know if I'd risk a first year release purchase.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    It's too bad the Equinox will not have a 4 cyl option. I guess the Vue will have an advantage there for people who want to save $$ on price and gas.

It's amazing the Vue is on the same platform, the vehicles really look nothing alike.
    The 3.4L from China is the same 3.4L they put in the Rendezvous as far as I know. It's just made in China. The 3.4L is very reliable so I don't think you will have drive train problems with the Equinox. The 5-speed in the VUE comes from a 3rd party supplier in Japan. Not sure if they will use that same one or not. GM has a 5-speed but it's for bigger engines only (they supply BMW with them).
    Oh my! You mean they might just pick up the whole Veristrak setup from the Aztek/Rendezvous/Montana
    and drop it into the Nox? Is that good or bad?
    So no real "4WD" system, just another FWD with the clutch pack to transfer power when the wheels start to spin (ala CRV).

When reading the RDV threads, someone mentioned this link to a new GM V6 3.6L aluminum OHC engine that will be built North of the Border in a few years.

http://209.61.155.43/moframes/division/powertrain/press_kits/glob- al_v6/docs/overview.htm

I guess you wont see this motor for 3 more years and probably another 5 to get the bugs out of it.

Oh Well maybe for my 2010 Nox............
    the folks in Michigan at Chevy don't want you to have that engine. At least not yet.
    Oh I don't know if the Versatrak. is coming, I doubt it as it was never mentioned in the brochure I received. I would think the 3.4L could be linked to the Saturn AWD system which I would think is more likely.

As for GM engines, I have not heard anything bad about any of their newer engines so I'm not sure what you mean about "5 years to get the bugs out". I would like to see a more modern engine, but the 3.4L is fine and it will have lots of low end power.
  • dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    All wheel drive on my CRV works wonderful. In North East this winter with 20+ inches of snow - no problems what so ever. Plus with FWD most of the time - fuel consumption is very impressive. For me its a "pro" reason if I would consider Equinox. Is in it considered a "small" SUV designed for mostly city driving anyway?
    were clearly steering the presentation to the Equinox as an Urban/Suburban utility, not an aggressive off-roader.

There were several audience questions about off road and towing capacity. The presenters answers were that while the Equinox will be adequate for its market, those looking for more should consider the Trailblazer and other Chevrolet truck products.

Chevrolet is not making a baby Trailblazer here. Rather, it is making a mini-van that looks more truck like.
    I also have a CRV. The RT4WD system is OK. I'd just like to see a 4WD switch like on the Escape. Just when you're stuck in something or moving through the heavy stuff slowly and you'd stay locked in 4WD under a specified MPH.
    Should be easy to do on the computer controls.
    There's just a few times where I didn't like where you feel the 4WD locking/unlocking as the front wheels got loose. Made the car a little unstable.

The Nox has a shorter wheelbase then the Aztek/RDV/Montana mini-vans. But since it's using the same engine, I think it might be easier/cheaper for GM to drop the whole Veristrak drive train into the Nox. All you have to do is probably cut a few inches off the rear drive shaft. Being 500lbs lighter then the GM mini-vans, the Nox might not be to bad on the performance numbers. Since the sale of Veristrak models is not exactly stellar, they probably got plenty of drive trains sitting around.
    nor is the CRV directly related to the Odysey.

My point is that while vehicles such as the CRV, RAV4, Escape, and 'Nox look like SUVs and are called SUVS, their design, structure and mechanics have much more in common with a mini-van or even station wagon than with a truck based SUV.

You can call its category whatever you want. Just be aware that a category name is marketing, not engineering.
    The NOX is based on the VUE car like platform, not a truck platform. My guess is you will see VUE mechanicals with a 3.4L engine instead of the 3.0L in the VUE. GM is not going to be spending money developing anything new here, it's not needed. People who want more off road small SUV capability should be shopping the Liberty, not the CR-V, VUE and NOX.

I'd be looking at a FWD as opposed to a AWD as I do not do any off roading what so ever. May as well save some money on price and gas.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Smaller than the CRV and RAV4 inside?
    Cute UTE's
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I liked the "Sport Cutes" headline :-)

MPG is going to be an issue it sounds like, at least while US gas prices are high. Maybe you're used to high petrol costs up there.

Steve, Host
    Edmund's list the nox @ 3700 lbs! I hope that includes AWD hardware. Vue's and CRV's come in at around 3400. That iron block relic, the 3.4L would be a good place to start. Even the trailblazer get's an all aluminum block with towing power. I hope the Nox does't turn into a disapointment like the rest of the GM AWD mini-van's: poor milage and performance.
    Are they really using the same motor that is in the Alero/Grand Am, minivans etc and calling it "Vortec" because it is in a truck?
    The guy who wrote that is a moron. The NOX will NOT have a Vortec engine. I have a brochure and it clearly says the engine is simply a 3.4L V6. I suspect mileage will be similar to the GM vans which is decent since they get the best mileage of any van around. The guy says the RAV-4 is the "darling of the group" which is also BS. The RAV-4 has been panned in almost every magazine for it's loud engine, small space and mediocre reliability (especially since it's a Toyota).

I would say the Honda CR-V and Ford Escape are still the benchmarks in this category today with the VUE right up there.
    If you go to the overview section of the chevrolet.com feature on the Equinox, it does say vortex 3400.
    Is Vortec the same as Vortex? I've never heard of Vortex?
    the '3400' vortec is indeed the "series 3400" grand am 3.4 with a vortec badge slapped on it to make people think its a truck motor. Classic GM smoke and mirrors marketing.

Did I mention that powertrain will be made in china?

BTW, there are very nice pics of the Equinox at conceptcarz.com high res exterior photos.
    Too bad they couldn't put the Inline-5 Vortec 3500 in there. Even the Vortec 2800 seems suited to the segment.
    Vortec News.