Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

5.4 V8 or 7.3 V8 DIESEL

pociskpocisk Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Ford
I've been looking to buy a 2000 4X4 F250 SD. Eighter a Crew Cab or a Super Cab with an 8' bed.
I found one Crew Cab Lariat with a short bed 4x4 and a V8 5.4 motor. It's got remote starter, spray on bedliner, dual exhausts and 37000 miles.
The guy is asking 22,900 for it. From the pics he sent me the truck looks great. It seems to be in a great condition. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT?

My second question is about fuel economy.
There have been a few discusions similar to this but if you don't mind I'd love to see your comments.
Seems to me that the 5.4 really suck on gas and the Diesel is much more economical as far as fuel consumption. Can I count on your input on that?

Comments

• Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Sounds like a decent truck with some good accessories. But what do you want to do with it? Is it gonna be your daily driver, are you planning on towing, will you be hauling a lot of weight in bed? Superduties are big beasts and don't get great mileage with gas engines. I've got a F350, V10, CC, long bed, 4x4, auto, w/ 3.73 rear, It gets 10-11 mpg city, 12-14 mpg hwy, 8-10 mpg towing. I've heard most folks with 5.4 reporting 2 or 3 mpg better than me. A Crew cab and 4x4 running gear make it heavier, and added friction of 4x4 probably knocks off another 1or 2 mpg.
    If you want to tow with it, ask owner what rear end gear ratio is (either 3.73, or 4.10). A truck in that configuration with 5.4L and 3.73 gearing will feel sorta sluggish off the line, especially if you're towing something. 4.10 gears keep you in engine's optimal power band better. Also note, even though F250 is a big truck, and can carry and tow more than an F150, its cargo capacity is about 1200 lbs less than an F350 (crew cab/4x4 eat into the ratings). Also tow rating with 5.4L is less than V10 or Diesel.
    If you plan on running around most of the time empty and go to HomeDepot on occasional weekends, then it's a great truck. If you're planning on pulling an 8000 lb trailer or 5ver all year back and forth over mountains than it's probably not the right configuration, and mileage will be hideous to boot.
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    If all you will be doing with this truck is the weekend warrior/Home Depot/Lowes thing, then this truck sounds like the ideal thing. The price doesn't sound to bad either. I have an F-350 PSD 6-speed DRW SC LB that I use as my daily driver. I live and work in a rural/suburban/small urban area, so tight traffic areas are not a big concern to me. I do use my truck to haul and tow things on a fairly regular basis. For instance, today I am going to pick up a fertilizer wagon loaded with 6 tons of fertilizer, not work related though. I do "use" the PSD, but I could just as easily get by with the V-10. I got the PSD because I will put lots and lots of miles on it. For me, the decision was easy. I didn't mind the extra $4,500 up front and 15 quart oil changes. I do know of a fellow that has a DRW w/the 5.4 and 4.10 gears. He says it pulls just fine for him, but he never honestly will tell me what mileage he gets either. If I had to guess, I'd say that truck you are looking at will get pretty close mileage to what Walt's truck gets. The big difference however will be your smaller towing capacity with the 5.4.
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Like Walt and Jim say,if you're using it for relatively light duty and/or short distances then the 5.4 is ok, BUT if you need to tow heavy loads long distances you'll kick yourself every time you hitch up the trailer.My V6 Tacoma got 19 empty.My GMC 2500HD 8.1 gets 13.Both get 12 towing flat but the GMC still gets 12 in the mountains.The poor old Toyota only got 7-8 and was slow.
    If the 5.4 is enough then get it.It's a great engine ,but if you have doubts(high mi or heavy loads)then the PSD is the obvious choice.

kip
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2001 F250 5.4 auto supercab 4x4 3.73 axle. It has 20,000 miles on it & I average 12mpg city & 15mpg hwy. It is a little sluggish off the line too.... I wish that I opted for the 4.10 axle instead. I only do some light towing, around 3000 lbs. ands pulls like there is nothing there. Now, I know that if I put 10,000 lbs. back there , It would be a different story...lol.
    I got the 5.4 & 3.73 for the best mpg, but I,m not sure if I am really saving a whole lot.
    I sure do love this truck tho.
    Just to add, I just drove the new 2003 dodge ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi....WOW !!!!!! blows the ford & chevy gassers away BIGTIME !!!
    Looks like ford & chevy have some catching up to do.....
  • Options
    Why do I have the feeling that the Dodge Hemi mileage will make your mileage look great.
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    Actually, I heard that the mpg's on the hemi is 10% better mpg's than its 5.9 liter guzzler. I had a 99'ram 4x4 with the 5.9 & it got 12 in city & 14 hwy. The window sticker said higher but never achieved it. But at 345 hp, I would be happy to see 15 mpg. I have read that ford & chevy are stepping up the h.p. in 2004 trucks .
  • Options
    You may be right, but I'm skeptical.
  • Options
    cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    we test drove an '03. It was such a pooch. Too much truck, to little motor. We have an '02 SD 7.4 and LOVE it - around 18-20 mpg. and power to boot. We've put around 7400 miles on since late July, when we bought it with 52 miles on it. Try finding a 7.4 and drive it if you haven't already, compare the two, and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.