Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Congratulations! Enjoy the Maxx! :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    on the new MAXX.
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    Yesterday, on PBS' "MotorWeek", they revealed the 2004 "Driver's Choice" awards, with the Malibu receiving "Best Family Sedan" for '04. Special mention was also made of the Maxx, for its versatility in this segment.

Interestingly, the Mazda 3 took honors as "Best Small Car".
    Also, congrats on the Maxx. I'm jealous (I think).

In fairness, not to be negative, but it's HIGHLY likely that going from a '91 Corsica to a new Maxx is, in and of itself, likely to be far more dramatic than, say, my going from an '00 Malibu to a new one.

I did test-drive an LT sedan last Oct. Aside from the electric power steering and a very small increase in power (salesman just loved it when I gunned it at a stoplight, ahem), I really didn't see all that much difference in driving dynamics.

My car is now going in on Tues., not tomorrow. Yes, I'll scour over the Maxx (assuming they have one), but I don't plan to test-drive that since I'm sure it's very similar to the sedan.

I just checked GM BuyPower. They have 3 Maxxes, all LTs, and all with stickers of $27,945. I'd assume they all have everything on them. Figures. Such a deal.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    I'm so glad that there's finally another MAXX owner here. I've got virtually the same car in navy blue metallic, but with the the DVD player. I'm fortunate that one of the highest volume Chevy dealers on Long Island is across the street from my office. After all was said and done, I got $1,761. off the sticker plus $2,000 in rebates. The only thing I felt I paid too much for is the extended warranty - I got an 84 month (7 year) or 84K mile extended warranty with a $100 deductible and it cost me another $2K. It was still worth it to me to have GM protection for 7 years. I have to agree about OnStar and XM. I think that they are the best options you can get in a car today! Hope you really enjoy your new toy as much as I am.
    I too, am THRILLED that we finally have members with Maxxes. I've been waiting. PLEASE, please, update us regularly about how they're doing. I'm not buying anything until summer, so it'd be a big help. Hopefully, you won't be posting in "Problems & Solutions"!.

I'm sensing that a few of you are unhappy with my occasional negativity. Just a sense. I'm not "anti-GM", and REALLY want a new Maxx (or Malibu). Call me crazy, but I'm willing to give the General another shot at redemption.

However, aside from safety concerns, I also want good value. And, for sure, the Maxx has it, at a somewhat lower price. Hopefully, we'll get there. I doubt I'm alone. I know of 2 other folks that are waiting like I am.

Just so we're clear, OK? I'm not like some recently departed members.
    I completely understand your hesitancy to dive head first back into the GM pool. I, for one, had never purchased a new GM model. I've owned a couple of used GMs, one bought and one a gift, and neither of them really lit my fire. With the prices of cars today, it has become a major life investment, and nobody wants to make a mistake. My short list was mostly Japanese; Toyota, Infiniti, even thought about a Scion xB. There's just something about the Maxx that grabbed me. It's certainly not the styling - say what you want, but the Maxx will never be on exhibit in the Museum of Modern Art! There's just this combination of form and function that together make this a comfortable and practical car to drive. Good luck with your search. I envy people who are able to analyze and consider for months..... I simply walked into my Chevy dealer (I only visited one), sat in the car and bought it. I didn't even take a test drive until after I had signed the paperwork! How's that for impetuous?
    (First of all, I seriously doubt that your member name is accurate; I'm in my mid-40s, and probably not far behind you).

Had it not been for the fact that my 4-year-old steed is losing it's "giddy-up" faster than I can blink - Extended Warranty still has nearly 18 mos. left on it - , engine aside (which I KNOW is good for at LEAST 100K miles), I wouldn't even be in this predicament, and not even discussing new wheels. BUT, my Malibu is starting to crimp my lifestyle. So, that's why I have the luxury (if you want to call it that) of having some time to ponder the next vehicle.

I'm also jealous of those of you that were able to keep a vehicle for 8-14 years. Obviously, you deserve the splurge.

I may do the Maxx LS bit, if the rebates increase (or something). That is a viable option, as well. I'll just have to get seat covers (NOT, I'll suffer).

I also own several thousand shares of GM stock, if any of you needed further convincing of my sincerity.
    is there a rebate on it? Or is the $1000 Malibu Sedan rebate also valid on the Maxx?
    To the best of my knowledge, there's a $1,000 rebate on both at the moment. But check out the next earth-shattering post. Talk about a weekend.
    '05 Malibu on the way. Just learned in the G6 forum that production of the '05 begins on June 14. I'm in shock. Guess there are design changes that need to be worked in.

Hopefully, triedntru can fill us in. Maybe we can request, civilly, please, some favors?

Yikes, I didn't count on THAT.
    and I suspect it is, that GM better get on with it with huge rebates as of 4/1, when the current incentives expire. Not gonna happen, too bad, so sad.

I'm not happy. I see a Mazda 3 in my future, yes, the crystal ball is getting clearer now....
    What's in a name... age is a state of mind, and after 35 years working in civil service, the last 24 of which have been involved in tax collection (not a very happy job), my state of mind is Old and Tired! As for affording a splurge, the car I replaced was a '96 Chrysler Cirrus with about 75K miles - not quite dead and could probably last a few more years, but I'm comtemplating retirement and want any car loans to be paid sooner, not later. And if I owned several thousand shares of GM, I'd probably be thinking Caddy, not Chevy, but it is not for me to look into another person's wallet or circumstances. I'm at a point in life where I just felt I deserved something nice, hence the early purchase of the Maxx I really don't want to start trading barbs with you. I'm here to share and receive information. And about that report of an updated Malibu model for '05 being released in June, I sincerely doubt it. It would be impossible to amortize the expense of the '04, a completely new model in 1 1/2 years after release. I checked on caranddriver.com - they have a new model intellegence base that covers all anticipated new models - the Impala is due for a big-time makeover for '06, and that could be what the G6 board mistook for the Malibu. Just a guess on my part, but a somewhat educated guess.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Well, believe it or not the 05 Malibus will be starting production in either June or July, rather than in August as first anticipated. Don't rely too much on C/D's database as it's rarely updated and constantly inaccurate. I think GMinsidenews also has more information on that.
  • njscribenjscribe Member Posts: 23
    Thanks johncline ii, jchan2, chevyguy657, and oldntired1950 for you kind words of welcome and congratulations. I spent the day visiting rural relatives and enjoyed every minute in my MAXX. I urge chevyguy to drive the maxx because it is quite different from the Malibu sedan. The frame is stretched six inches in the middle and the wheels are moved to the extreme four corners, so although it has a much longer wheelbase than the sedan it is one inch shorter overall. The ride is better than Devilles I have ridden in and second only to my 84-year-old mother's Lesabre with touring suspension for smoothness and much better of course for handling. By far the most important auto quality to me is dependability so I really loved that old Corsica -- It wasn't all that dramatic an upgrade except for the XM, onStar, and remote starting which makes the car so cozy I don't wear a coat. I just keep emergency blankets in the hatch. Whatever may or may not be new in June for a 2005 Malibu won't apply to the Maxx which just debuted last month. I appreciate Chevyguy's thrift but I adamantly believe the Maxx is a bargain at list and is best bought with nearly every option. (I must admit I envy you all those reliable GM dividends on your shares.) Like oldntired1950 I decided I was at a stage in life where I wanted a vehicle that had "toy" appeal as well as utility and like him I was floored by the Maxx at first inspection. It is taller than other cars, like an SUV, and has a shape unique to it and the Saab 9.3. With such a cool member name, it would be a tragedy if Chevyguy bought a Mazda!
    That the 2005 Malibus and perhaps even Maxx's are going to begin production in July is something I can believe - from production planning to initiation to having the cars on the dealership floor takes time and effort, in collecting all the various supplier's parts, machining, stamping, assembling, until it's a finished product. And once the finished product comes off the line, it has to be tranported to the furthest reaches of the US and Canada so that our local dealers will have cars to offer. What I contend is that the model will be virtually the same car as the 04 Malibu with minor cosmetic changes and perhaps a few less items as standard and more as optional (to keep the costs down on the base models). No major automotive manufacturer can afford to scrap a model after 1 or 2 years - look what happened to Edsel (for those of us old enough to remember). Even the venerable Aztek has had a multiyear run, and by the end of each model year, they are virtually giving the leftovers away. But I've been wrong before, perhaps as often as I've been right, so, only time and Mr. Lutz will tell. Personally, I think if they concentrate on perfecting the problems with the Bu, things like replacing the tires with no lateral strength in cornering with better rubber, tighter suspensions, whipping up a more interesting variety of interior packages and perhaps an SS model with a more muscular engine, bigger wheels and that little something special for the exterior, then the Malibu and Maxx will be here for years to come. Something to look forward to! What do you say Mr. Lutz???
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Can you please use makeashorterlink.com or tiny.url com?

That thing runs off the screen, makes all the rest of the posts impossible to read without endless scrolling, and doesn't even work as a clickable link!

:)
    First, the GM shares were inherited and are part of my retirement nest egg, which won't occur for another 20 years, so they have no effect on my current situation. I'd only sell them if GM were to take a major downward turn.

I never meant to imply that the '05 would be a complete re-do or even a "refresh". As I just posted in the Malibu discussion, I think they've listened to our suggestions, and are going to make a bunch of small running changes at one time (like maybe seat fabric on the LS, for example. Rear window wiper/washer as another one).

So, if you have requests, perhaps triedntru (who works at the plant) can add them to the list of possibilities. But do it sooner, rather than later.

oldntired, didn't understand the barbs bit. I think we get along fine. Am I missing something?
    Here's the "gist" of my recent post in Probs & Solutions. Yum. I'm still due for routine maintenance in early March, so I'll see it then, at the latest.

"Well, rack this one up to problems unique to FL (and other parts of the deep south).

I've now determined that, believe it or not, my A/C problem is lizard-related. I ran a few errands yesterday, A/C was fine. Same today.

Not to be gross, but I'm thinking that the racket was the fan chewing up a lizard carcass. Thank goodness it didn't spit into the interior of the car. Now THAT would've been GROSS!

I'll wait for a spell to see if the problem recurs."

A/C is one of GMs well-documented (and this member is well-aware) strengths. That and the fact that, while the car itself might not make it, the 3100 (gasket problems aside) is good for the long haul. Sure the new 3500 is too. A/C probs are the last thing I'd expect. Well, the switch is persnickety, but that's electronics (NOT one of GMs strong areas).
    See Posts # 3654 and 3655 for further info on the '05 production schedule. I'm not sure that Dave ("triedntru") checks the Maxx board all that often.
    Yes, I'm bored this afternoon. Worked my butt off last week, so no comments from the membership.

Here's the link again, but remember, the '04 Malibu and Maxx haven't been crashed yet. Soon, though. Just so you're up to speed. Actually this is for the member that asked about the Mazda6.

http://www.nhtsa.gov

Here are the instructions. Questions? Post.

To get the background info on what the ratings mean, click on the blue sub-headings underneath the column titles. Print that out, if you care to. Go to the specific model you're interested in, on the left side, and then click ON THE MODEL NAME to get a DETAILED summary of the vehicle crashed.

There is a LOT of info. And very numbers-oriented.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Hey, I check both boards, I just hate repeating myself.
    I trust you've seen my reply, trientru, in the Malibu discussion.

Repetition is the mother of necessity, given that we have seperate discussions for the Malibu and Maxx. No comment.
    how about a sport model (maybe a LT Sport?) with tiptronic, full leather and a rear wiper on the Maxx... wait, make the rear wiper standard on all Maxx models.
    I have to agree with the thought of a rear wiper - after spending time in the rain, it certainly could use it. I do however see it as an engineering question. The rear hatch is aluminum, to save weight, and I would imagine the addition of a wiper motor, gearing and wiper arm would pose a problem both in added weight and actual placement as there is no real room either at the top or bottom of the hatch. A great thought, but I don't know if we'll see it (and if we do, boy will I be annoyed that I missed it!)
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I'm generally happy with the Maxx (400 miles so far)..a very solid car compared to my rattly, cheap feeling ION which was (thank goodness) declared a lemon and taken back!

But...

How are folks here doing with mileage of the 6 V6? Consumers Union claimed 26, Car and Driver claimed 24 - I can barely get 20, with mix of town/freeway and relatively mild accelerations.
    Just wondering.....
    kurt, welcome, you'll see my post in the "Members" forum. I think that when the engine is "green", it's a bit of a gas hog. Put another 3,000 miles on it before you get worried.

On the rear wiper issue: I've asked, that that be standard. Over and over again. It's the ONE OBVIOUS thing that Chevy overlooked on the Maxx.

Please fix it. No more whining.
    Mr Lutz: You also showed all of us a fancy-shmancy Maxx last year with the rear spoiler, which should have been standard. But, of course, it cost $10 extra per vehicle, so it disappeared.

I'd also like the leather/UltraLux option on the LS, please. And a few great new colors. And a darker interior color. The grey is getting on my nerves. OK, you say?

Sure, anything you want chevyguy. But, we'll have to raise the price another $1500 and ditch rebates entirely.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They could black out some of the glass and install a wiper. They can make room.

I didn't realize it didn't have one. All hatchbacks and wagons should.

-juice
    I've driven almost all my 950 miles so far in rain, sleet, or snow and don't find any need for a rear wiper on my maxx. I have plenty of rear vision without it because slop doesn't tend to accumulate there. I certainly wouldn't want the hatch to be too heavy. I also don't want a spoiler; the car should be designed for good aerodynamics without a tacked-on, racer-wannabe accessory. Just to counteract the complainers, if anybody's watching this.
    Drive in any kind of mist and it'll get dirty sooner or later.

It's a long vehicle so visibility is key when backing up.

-juice
    I can't believe "juice" or ateixeira responded to my post in less than a minute. How so fast?
    Dunno, guess it's in my Subscriptions and when I click "Read Subscriptions" this topic comes up first? :-)

Any how, I recommend Rain-X for all the windows, that should help minimize the problem.

-juice
    To reiterate what Chevyguy said: The General's air conditioning is reliable. That 13-year-old Corsica I replaced for the new Maxx still had the original, unserviced ac putting out cold air when needed. It also still had the original stainless steel exhaust system. I advertised it in the classified for the chain of weeklies I work for and sold it to a guy who bought it for his teenage son, who agreed that it was everything he wanted in a car. It made me proud I had taken such good car of it. Before the Maxx and the Corsica I had a 80 Citation that I sold with 130k miles and the original clutch. If you take good care of a car you don't have to be embarassed because it's not the latest model. I know it's not my business, but if I were Chevyguy I would stick with my 2000 'Bu. It will settle down to absolute reliability before long. The Citation had issues in the first years but then became rock solid. Chevies are best for thrift.
    Thanks for feedback, ChevyGuy...perhaps the general makes its engines very "tight" compared to the competition. I added a small oil detergent booster (Not the usual STP gunk) just to help things break in.

Wrt Maxx, the editors at Edmunds seem to have nailed it. Looking very closely, I do see where interior parts don't line up all that well (headliner, door trim). But the Chevy Prism (mostly Toyota) had some similar trim problems, and the Saturn Ion was positively horrible in this respect. Still, it's much better than other Chevy stuff and hopefully is a sign GM is waking up to building "euro" flavor cars without euro reliability problems.

A rear wiper, if it can be added without causing stress to the hatch metal, would be useful in rainy areas.
    I really don't think the Maxx should have left the factory without a rear washer/wiper. Let's hope that, should I buy one, the first disaster isn't that I back up over a small child. Basically, it rains in these parts every day, from approx May 1 to Nov 30. It's better in my '00 Bu sedan, because "stuff" doesn't collect as much.

And I like the looks of the spoiler. Criticisms have been along the lines of spoilers like we see on the Mitsu/Subaru. This was classy.

My car has been trouble from day one. The stack of repair orders, even squashed, is at least an inch high. This is not the '91 Corsica. I see my dealer WAY TOO MUCH.

But I've put up with worse things in my life.
    It's great to have more and more real Maxx owners here. I've had my Maxx since 1/24 but have only put about 500 miles on it. I've had it in snow, sleet and rain, and I have to say the the rear window has kept clear, but I have never understood why all cars come with windshield wipers but ignore the rear window. Isn't rear vision as important? I'm talking sedans too, not just hatchbacks, wagons and SUVs. It's an idea whose time should come, just as rear defrosters, hazard flashers and backup lights are now standard and weren't even thought of when I started driving in the '60s. About the mileage, according to the onboard computer I'm getting about 17 mpg with all stop and go short trip driving. Not great, but the engine is still new, and after the 13 mpg I've been getting in my Jeep Liberty, 17 isn't so bad. I'll be taking it on a short roadtrip to CT this weekend, so I'll be able to test both mileage and the DVD system.
    So far, I am totally impressed with the quality and service I've been getting. OnStar is an example. I was given a phone number in an area code some distance from my home (a Westchester area code for a Long Island phone). I simply spoke with an OnStar adviser and explained my concern yesterday, and today I had a message on my home phone with an apology, a new and appropriate phone number and an extra 30 minutes of airtime to reimburse me for any inconvenience. This sort of service will keep me happy for many years to come.
    Rear wipers on sedans are common in Japan. The EVO actually gets one, it's pretty neat.

-juice
    why not?
    Thanks for comments, folks. I am noting some minor buzzing in the dome light, but so far no electrical or engine problems (save the low MPG).

One thing I have done to the Maxx is polish it with REJEX, which is made by www.corrosionx.com. This stuff is a silicon polish that is used by airlines and the military to protect finishes from exhaust. It works well on the paint to keep bugs from sticking, etc. It also works well on side and rear windows, for the same reason.

However, I have found that this stuff, and RAIN X, does not work well on windshields. The problem is the silicon transfers to the wiper blades, leaving streaks or causing the wipers to "chatter" as their silicon coated surfaces bind against the silicone coated windshield.
    (that is one reason bearings always have one surface softer/different than the other - to avoid chatter).

Anyone else here see that problem?
    With Rain X, yeah, I get that chattering too. I wonder if certain wiper blades minimize that.

-juice
  • genetageneta Member Posts: 23
    Had an appointment to drive the Maxx (TL) this morning at my local Chevy dealership in Springfield, VA (suburban DC). Previously I had only seen it at the car show in DC during Christmastime. I have yet to see one on the road.

Overall the car was very nice to drive and quite, with a very smooth ride (must be extended wheelbase). The engine seemed to have plenty of pep, although it seemed to lag a little bit when putting the pedal down before the revs and power pushed in. Didn't really notice any engine noise as others have described (push rod vs overhead cam). Anyway, driving the Maxx seemed very comfortable, not like when I've driven the latest Camry (can't stand the driver position and windows). The interior did seem a bit on the under whelming side but still its only a car. I've been comparing the Maxx to the Accord EXV6. Both cars have features the other doesn't so comparison is not really completely possible. But I'm a bit swayed to the Accord on repair history -- unless I can get a good deal. And I may have!

Triedntru (Dave) who works 'Bu the plant sent me a coupon (thanks again) that makes this bit of machinery a very good deal when you add in the GM coupons on top. Okay so here's the deal, the sticker price of the Maxx is $27,945 (again every possible option except engine heater), Edmunds says invoice price is $25,574. Using Triedntru's "GM in the Driveway" coupon (expires 3/31/04) the price drops to $25,974 with ZERO haggling, then $1,000 more off with the current promotion, and finally $1,000 more off with a coupon (expires 3/15/04) I received from GM for a 24-hour test drive (think I got this coupon because I hit the GM Web site or because I have a GM Mastercard). Anyway, we're looking at $23,974 if I can find right the car and color by 3/15/04. (The car I drove did not have DVD or sunroof options.) Seems to me the price difference more than makes up for any difference in value with the Accord. Hope I can find the color I like!!!!
    Sounds like a great deal - I got a similarly equipped Maxx and ended up paying about $24,100 after all the discounts and rebates. Mine is navy blue metallic - not a bad color, but show all the road dust, so I end up getting it washed every couple of weeks. I'm sold on my Maxx - hope you decide to join the family. By the way, if you do buy the Maxx and decide to get the extended warranty, (or even if you don't) please let me know what your dealer wants for the 84/84 GM Major Protection Plan with $100 deductable... just curious.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I took my Intrigue to the dealer today for some service and while I was waiting I was able to look at the two Maxxes they had in stock. One was a darkish red with the neutral interior, the other was silver with gray inside. I really like the look of the Maxx much better than the regular Malibu. I noticed that they have taken the patterned cloth off the headrests and replaced with the regular coordinating color cloth, which is a good thing in my book. The red one looked really good to me. Its interior came with woodgrain accents and the two-toning of the other materials looked good. The gray interior also had two-toning but it was very subtle and didn't look as good to me. Instead of woodgrain it had some silver trim which looked OK but I really think they need to step up the interior a bit to be really competitive - it just looks a bit plain. I think the Maxx looks better in the darker colors and this red is very attractive.

The only odd thing I noticed was that the way the rear-seat shoulder harnesses are mounted, there is quite a bit of intrusion into the cargo area. That miight be a bit of a problem if you're looking to carry large, bulky objects. But otherwise I really liked the car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

there have been comments about the Malibu V6 engine being substantially revised from the previous Malibu engine (the old one was a 3400 series while the new one is a 3500 series).

Does anyone have some info as to what Chevy actually upgraded in this engine?

Car and Driver says Chevy reworked virtually every part but doesn't go into any deatils.
    $23K isn't bad especially when you're getting a loaded car.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I noticed at the Toronto Auto Show yesterday, the Maxx and Malibus were getting a lot of attention. Nice to see the old Malibu name have a worthy car now. Lots of people checking out the Maxx especially.

The 3.5L from what I have read is almost completely revised from the 3.4L. Seems like a good powerplant and it's very efficient also, getting better mileage than the 4 cyl. competition.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Does the Maxx have them only above the rear doors and if so, does anyone know why not also in the front? Also, how are owners doing for mpgs? Haven't had time to go through the threads.

Thanks.
    There are no front assist handles on the Maxx, but both the front and rear doors open very wide, and seat height makes ingress and egress very easy. I'm currently getting about 22 mpg on mixed highway and local driving.
  • genetageneta Member Posts: 23
    Took a different Maxx out for a test drive with the family. Wife really liked the way the vehicle drives. On this test drive, I felt the car responded better when accelerating hard, did not notice hesitation as before. My wife said she felt some hesitation (drives a 2000 Honda Odyssey). My second drive was very pleasant and I'm very comfortable with how the car handles.

Anyway, if I can get the price down to a reasonable level I'll most likely go ahead and buy a loaded Maxx -- if the dealer can locate on in the Silver Green color. I've been quoted $25,974 -- before any discounts (see my post #1591 for option details). I'm interested in seeing if we can go lower than this. I'm shopping around on the Internet to see what other dealers may offer. One called to say he could do better if I was serious. We'll see.