Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 3500 is much better than the old V6, like night and day. Hard to believe it's a pushrod.

-juice
  • bigandtallbigandtall Member Posts: 6
    Any other tall drivers out there? I'm 6'9" and have been looking for a car that I can fit into for over 3 years, all the while trying to limp along my 1989 Z-71 pickup truck.

It's amazing how much a difference just a few inches in a car can make. I test drove the Maxx and it is the only car thus far that I can comfortably drive.

Does anyone else know of large interior cars that might work for me in the low $20k price range? I was shocked that I could not get my legs under the dash of the full sized chevy impala.

I've tried the GM BuyPower internet quote for dealers around town and they are all coming back between $1700 and $1974 below MSRP for a Maxx LT fully loaded with exception of On-Star. Sound good? I have found one that I really like that is the Silver Green Metallic LT, with only the 1SB option package that adds the sunroof, homelink transmitter, and auto dimming rear view mirror. For this one the MSRP is $25630 and I was quoted $23866.08 before any rebates or discounts. Can I save more than this using the "GM in your driveway" certificate? These certificates only appear to save about $2k off the MSRP, am I correct? Thanks for the help.

(wish I could get something that gets 40 or 50+ mpg, but I just can't fit into them!!!)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    nice to hear good deals are out there- who knows? The Malibu is already quite affordable. A few grand in discounts could put it cheaper than any Sonata, Optima or Verona out there.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    First of all, hearty congratulations go out to Coffeecake! We've had our Maxx LT for about 3 weeks and love it. We took a short roadtrip to visit family and took my son and granddaughter with us. They loved the DVD system with the wireless headsets, and I loved being able to listen to my music without any fighting. Hope you have many years of safe and happy miles with yours. And I agree with you - there aren't very many Maxx's on the road yet - I haven't seen any besides mine. When I brought it into the car wash the manager said it was his first too. He took off the mast antenna on the rear for the wash because he wasn't sure how it would fare. It's no problem screwing it back on after the wash - I've done it for each wash since.
    To Bigandtall - the added benefit of the Maxx is having the adjustable pedals that you can adjust to the lowest position, and still have room in the back seat by moving it all the way back. I've never seen a car in this price range with the flexibility and versatility that my Maxx has. As I've said before, the exterior design may not ever be in the Museum of Modern Art, but I'm much more interested in function over form, and I think this car is a winner. Your prices don't sound bad either. I used the "Car in Your Driveway" certificate to get the extra $1,000 rebate. This along with the $1,000 regular rebate, a $300 internet discount certificate my dealer features on their website and the dealer discount of $1,461 off the sticker, and I walked away with a completely loaded Maxx for $24,184 (sticker $27,945) I was very satisfied with the deal. The only other extra I went for was a GM extended warranty (84/84) that cost me just over $2K more. Good luck, and enjoy!
    I had read an earlier post that a Maxx LS can not be ordered with a sunroof. It is interesting to note that you CAN order the Maxx LS with a sunroof, just not as part of the "1SB" option(which is what most dealers seem to order for their inventory). If you go to the following Chevrolet website,

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/

and click on "Specifications" toward the left of your screen you can view the Specification Sheet for all Malibu models. Near the top under "EXTERIOR" it shows that the sunroof can be ordered by itself, denoted by the "O" under the "Maxx LS" column. If it required the "1SB" option the "O" should have a superscript numeral "1" next to it.

You can also order the remote vehicle start system without having to purchase the entire "1SB" option package as referenced in the "INTERIOR" section of this specification sheet.

Whether or not you can find one sitting on the lot like this is another question all together.

It is also possible that this is a "typo" on the chevy website. The "consumerguide.org" website reports that you can purchase the sunroof on the Maxx LS, but only in addition to purchasing the "1SB" group.

Two conflicting sources of data. Any clarification? I would hope that the official chevrolet website is not in error.
    Friday I'm test driving a silver-green Malibu Maxx LS with the "1SB" package AND the sunroof option. MSRP is $23,875 and have been quoted $22,364.63 over the internet. That's $489.63 over invoice for car and options as based on ConsumerGuide.com data.

I can also get a silver-green Malibu Maxx LT with the "1SB" package (that in itself adds the sunroof) for MSRP of $25630 and quoted at $23,866.08 for $374.08 over invoice. Both dealers have $99 documentation fees, but no other hidden fees.

So is it worth an extra $1500 to get the LT when I really don't care about leather, fog lights, and other small things as long as I get my sunroof?

In addition, there does not seem to be much wiggle room in these prices. Not like the old days where you could easily get into a dealer's holdback cash below invoice.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Hey Troops,
    $24K @ 0% for 48 months is $500 per month, right? If you can negotiate a new loaded Malibu around this number it is still a decent sized payment. If you do high mileage, forget leasing. The only drawback I see is the weak 3/36 warranty. GM & Ford need to step up to at least the Chrysler level of 7/70. Poor brake rotors and other various sub-par parts can really aggravate the average person these days. If you ask the average person if they would rather take a chance on a Camry/Accord or an Impala/Malibu for the same warranty period, guess what the answer is? I think you all know. I would love to buy GM but I think the time is near to put up or shut up. From what I read the new Malibu is terrific, but, give me the piece of mind to go with it. Past performance doesn't do it for GM like it does for Toyota these days. Hey Detroit, are you listening? I hope you are with both ears.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Hey guys,

I just saw the option list for the 05 Malibu sedans and Maxxes. Although I can't go into specifics, it looks like a lot of the options you guys are wishing for on the 04 will come true in 05 along with more option packages.

It looks like somebody is listening to the customer!

Dave
    that's good.
    I guess that this means that the rear wiper for the Maxx will come true..... rats! I really don't care - I love my Maxx. I keep finding new stuff - today I tried the CD player for the first time - works like a charm. I read a review, I think it was on Edmunds.com, that reviewed the sound system and knocked the CD player for being noisy when loading CDs.... I think they must have had a bad one. Mine was churchmouse quiet and worked perfectly. Michael Buble never sounded better (am I dating myself???) I did a major grocery shopping today and when I put the seats down to load the bags into the car I discovered a parcel net that spans the width of the car right behind the seats..... always finding new and wonderful things about my Maxx!
    I've seen lots of comments on both exterior and interior colors.... anything new coming up??? I've seen a lot of comments on the silver-green but I've yet to actually see a 'Bu or Maxx in that color. All I've seen are the red, navy blue, silver and gray. I'm wondering if Chevy will expand the choices for '05. And how about dressing up the interior. I for one think it's fine the way it is. Is there anything new in store there?
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    Hey. As I posted yesterday in the Malibu discussion, it's probably too early to put pressure on Dave to talk more about the '05s. I think his post was just "an inside heads-up".

Obviously, they wouldn't sell any more '04s if the beans were spilled about the '05s now.

My hunch is that, based on what happened with the prior (my) Malibu in its 2nd year, and the mistake of not making many changes, we'll see quite a few changes to the '05, likely more than we're expecting.

Not to burst your bubble (really, and I know you don't care), but '04s are now showing up on used-car lots and the depreciation appears the same as the prior Malibu (read:hideous). But, that's the sedan. Too early to tell about the Maxx.
    resale should be higher as there's less competition in its segment except the upcoming Mazda 6 Hatchback.
    I really didn't expect that Dave could answer either of my posts, it's just that it was late at night and I got excited, and my hands worked faster than my mind. I've got my toy, and whatever comes, I'm happy.
    Valid point, unless the Maxx doesn't sell as well as hoped. I have no idea how they're doing. Probably also too early to tell.

The resale market also might lump the Maxx in with the Malibu, since they're so close.

The March issue of Money magazine (not that they're experts) predicts very high depreciation for the Bu and doesn't break out the Maxx. For example, the table has the Bu at 22% after 5 years. Accord is around 40%. Even my current flame, the Mazda 3, is at 32%.

Doesn't help the value equation at all, for sure.
    Just rechecked, and Money magazine actually DOES break out the Maxx, under station wagons (which I don't consider it to be).

It's also 22% resale value after 5 years.

Taurus wagon is 23%, for comparison.

Mazda 6 sedan (assume the hatch and wagon will be the same) is at 34%.
    If the editors of Money magazine knew what things would be worth in 5 years, they'd all be retired and living on their own islands with the investments they made 5 years ago.
    have been issued for at least 15 years and are compiled from other more knowledgeable sources. Yes, for sure the tables base the '04s resale on the prior Malibus, but what else can they go on? Even "dumb" old me knew that that would happen a year ago.

For the record, I don't care what anyone says, but I don't think the '04 is selling worth diddly squat. 6 1/2 months into the model year, and even here in Camry-land, I should have seen more than ONE sedan (no Maxxes) on the road by now.

I have a new theory. Why cut the model year short? A completely new (and attractive) front end might be nice, to sell some cars. If that's the case, consider the '04s worthless. Now. Hope no '04 owner then has their vehicles totalled by some errant "other driver".

How 'bout them apples?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Chevyguy, I don't mean to be unfair or to pick a fight, but I fail to see the point of all your negative posts in multiple forums. Don't like the new Malibu? Great. Go buy a Honda and be happy. But some of these posts are getting ridiculous. Just because a magazine prints something - in this case a 5-year value prediction on car that has been on the market for less than 3 months - doesn't mean it's worth the paper its printed on.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I suspect he's just being so negative because he is hoping (against hope, IMHO) that incentives will make his eventual purchase much less expensive.

I do agree, though, that the Malibu doesn't seem to be selling as well as GM may have hoped. I STILL don't understand why they kept that name, while dumping names like Regal.
    First, the resale values tables DO mean something, particulary for folks interested in leasing, as resale values are what the residuals are based on.

I'm being negative because GM has been stupid, I'm an investor, am disappointed and might buy a new Bu if the price is right.

Won't I have been the clever one if the new front end is dead-on, and, come Sept, when dealers are sweating bullets over rows of unsold "ugly" '04s (and the rebates also skyrocket to move 'em out?)?

Call me a bit annoying, but you can't call me stupid.
    My posts are often in both this and the Malibu forum because it's basically the same car. It's not like I'm spamming across 50 discussions. Please.
    I have to wonder why such a good car got the name of the previous generation, that wasn't exactly a Camry competitor. The old Malibu was CR recommeded and is now the fifth highest rated family car- behind the Camry, 6, Accord, Passat. That'll help boost sales if it becomes recommended by CR next year.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I agree with you 100%. And the fact that the 05 is coming out so soon after the 04 model was completely redesigned leads one to believe that something is seriously wrong with the 04 model. One last point, where exactly is this supposed Camry, Accord, Altima fighter anyway? I see numerous Camcords and Altima on the road everyday. The only Malibu I have seen so far is the one my colleague drives. I mean the car has been out for almost five months
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Wait. The 2004 WAS a 2004. 2005's traditionally come out in the fall, as this one will. Had the car that came out this spring (last autumn supposedly) been a 2005 instead of an 04, I would agree with you.

I would expect NO major body changes for 2005. GM hasn't moved that fast in the past, even with the Aztek.
    My dear, departed mom used to tell me that there is a lid to every pot. Beauty is still very subjective. Having been married over 33 years myself, I've found that beauty on the outside does fade, but the beauty on the inside keeps growing each day. Hence my love of functionality over form. To many people (myself included) there really isn't too much wrong with the Aztek - while the exterior design is unconventional, the use of space and inventive little things make that vehicle unique. The only reason I'm not driving one myself is that at 4'8" tall, my wife could not reach to close the rear hatch, so we ended up with a Liberty. I really don't see anything I don't like about the design of my Maxx. It's not a Ferrari, but it's not supposed to be. If it gets through the wind tunnel a little slicker than some other cars in it's class, that's fine with me. The seats are some of the most comfortable I've sat on in years (they leave the seats in my Liberty in the dust). The versatility and utility of the interior are second to none in it's class. These are the things that brought me into my Chevy dealer to plunk down my hard earned bucks. Resale value means nothing to me - I still keep my vehicles for at least 6 to 8 years, and don't really expect much back when I'm done. What I want is to enjoy a relatively worry-free ownership experience. Hopefully with my 84/84 extended warranty and a good dealer, this is what I will get.
    I have learned that, in fact, Fairfax is reportedly about to add 200 new employees and a Saturday shift to help satisfy the "incredible dealer demand" for the '04s, due to their lack of ability to carry sufficient inventories.

I still don't believe that sales of the 04s are outstripping Fairfax' ability to produce them, unless either the vehicles are going somewhere outside the US (they're certainly not being sold here), or something is wrong with the plant by not being able to produce them at a sufficient rate. (?)

I've also learned from a source (that I can't pass judgement on the reliability of) that the early '05 changeover is mere rumor and not true. (?)

The smell is getting awfully fishy lately.

Enough "sleuthing" for me on this issue. WAY too confusing and contradictory. Time to "sleuth" to find possibly overlooked tax deductions, which I should be doing this weekend anyway!
    OK, now I REALLY need to move on to other things. This is MY info, so it's reliable, and it answers some questions:

Malibu and Maxx sales for Jan were 7,157.

Production figures:
    28,716 model year to date, of which 12,608 have been produced to date in Feb., and of which 4,198 were produced last week.

There are no cars out there to be seen!!
    I just started shopping for a Malibu Maxx two weeks ago and the dealers are telling me they have only had the Malibu Maxx available to sell for the past two weeks. So it's VERY early to see any on the road.

As far as higher rebates in the fall. That's great, but won't prices be hiked several times by then?

I've been driving the same pickup truck for 15 years now. Do I need to wait one more year because of all of the hearsay about why the '04 model is so close to the '05 model in release date? I don't think so. Chevrolet is just trying to be first on the market with these new designs in order to capture as much market share as they can. Out here in the Midwest, I see the '04 Malibu sedan everywhere on the road. They are selling like hot cakes.

As long as no one crashes into me and wrecks my next new Chevy, it will last another 15 years. If everyone would follow the maintenance schedule in their owner's manual, their vehicles would last just as long. The dodge 7yr/70k LIMITED powertrain warranty is a joke. It just forces people to follow the maintenance schedule, in which ANY vehicle will last when followed. Change your oil, engine AND transmission, on a regular basis and you and your vehicle's powertrain are set!
  • ljnelsonljnelson Member Posts: 9
    Hello there. I am new to this discussion although I was a regular when I was eagerly awaiting my 00 Yukon when GM did that late year release. Here I am again with a vehicle that just hit the market! In any case I have had my Maxx LT for about a week now and so far am very pleased. Except......

Either I am not reading closely enough or they neglected to document some features/issues with this entertainment system. I have already learned that many settings, including FM/XM presets change depending on which remote unlocks the doors. Although this can be an attractive feature, it was a surprise for us. My wife had read the radio section in the owners manual and can find nothing regarding this.

Now for my issue. In addition to the remotes affecting settings, I find that the radio has a mind of its own on other occasions. This morning for example, when I started the car to leave the house, XM was playing. I thought that the DVD was playing for my son when we got home last night but I decided I must have forgotten. Of course I suckered and turned Sesame Street back on (LOL) and drove to his day care. When I got back in the car after dropping him off I restarted it and the radio (XM) was back on. Other times I have restarted it and the DVD player resumed. Also, I have noticed a difference in status between key starts and remote starts. Does anyone have any experience with these issues?

Thanks,

Lee
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Hi, Lee. I have a regular 04 LS sedan, and now that you mention it, I have noticed some differences on the radio status at different times.

I'll do some experimenting with the 2 key fobs and see if I can draw any conclusions like you have. I'll also ask around the plant and see if anybody has an explanation on this feature (phenomenon?).

Thanks for your input, and I hope you enjoy your Maxx.

Dave
    Always glad to see another happy Maxx owner. Your radio problem is interesting. I've only used one remote to either open or start the car in the month that I've had it. My wife has the other remote, but as of yet, except for a quick test drive the day I picked it up, she hasn't gotten behind the wheel.... mine, mine, mine!!! it's my toy and she can't have it. Someday I might grow up, but I tend to doubt it.
  • njscribenjscribe Member Posts: 23
    I continue to enjoy my Maxx more and more.
    Last night I was rushed and forgot to put it in park before turning the key off, so I couldn't get the key out. I stupidly thought it was broken and called OnStar. They connected me with 800chevUSA, which was terrific. They suggested what to try first, which of course took care of the "problem" (duh). The point is they were terrific when I wasn't and the car is still perfect.
    Coincidentally, I have been selected to fill out a weekly diary for a national radio ratings company, so they will see how much I enjoy XM satellite radio. I can always find music or information talk that enriches my time in the Maxx.
    Although I haven't seen another Maxx on the road, I have seen some very nice '04 Bu sedans, including a neat and trim LS in the silver-green metalic that is always parked at the Town Hall here.
    I picked up a friend who has written a lot of non-fiction books for a breakfast meeting. He was as amazed as I was by the Maxx and indicated serious thought about replacing his Camcord-thing with one!
    This car was delivered to me in absolutely perfect condition and I continue to find new reasons to love the design features.
    I urge Maxx buyers to get the versatile sunroof, the XM, and OnStar, if at all possible. They are well worth the cost. I get a new car each decade (1980, 1991, 2004) and have never seen such a leap forward in Chevrolet quality and design. The cost was nearly double the previous one, but that was reliable transportation while this Maxx is, to me, all-encompassing luxury and beauty.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I have a sedan, but hope I can post here.

GM has for years in their upscale models offered a personalization feature on the remotes. This usually will adjust the seat position, mirrors and radio station for each remote.

I, too have experienced the radio flipping out. We have a spare key that has never had the radio presets set when it has been used. if I grab it to move the car in the garage, my wife will report that when she goes to drive the car with her key, the radio is not set. Now this seems wrong that her key does not re-set her radio station. And note I said key, not remote. I'm thinking we have only used the key.

I guess we all need to do more experimenting. I wish we could getr documentation from Chevrolet on this.

njscribe - are you a writer in New Jersey? We live in Marlton. We know the feeling of the '04 malibu. My wife makes up errands just so she can drive it more.
    Roll Call, y'all.

What kind of mileage are you getting from that new 3500 engine?

Just curious.

-juice
  • ljnelsonljnelson Member Posts: 9
    My first 2 tank fulls of a mixed driving cycle have been 24.5 and 25.1 MPG. Computer reported about 1 MPG higher on both. This one is reporting 27.3 as of this morning (about 200 miles in) so I am hopeful for 26 MPG this round.

Lee
  • genetageneta Member Posts: 23
    I'm a little sad to report I couldn't work a deal with my local Chevy dealers on a loaded Maxx. I'm going to miss the heated outside mirrors, DVD and remote starter in addition to the lift back. My wife got cold feet on buying the Maxx versus an Accord when someone backed out of their deal for a Maxx. I tried to get the dealer to give me a good price on the Maxx and adding in the GM Warranty. But we couldn't come to a acceptable deal. My wife started researching Car & Drive and Consumers and said get the Accord! So we just picked up a new 2004 Accord EX V6 for $24,244 out the door including all fees and taxes. The dealer took a loss on this sale I'm pretty sure. I'll enjoy the Accord, maybe get a Maxx in a few years.
    you got a great deal on your Accord. I'm sure that it will bring you many years of great service. My personal feeling is that when you buy a car, you're buying a long term relationship with the dealer. If you're not comfortable with the purchase, how are you going to feel down the road when you need the dealer to be there for service? You have to go with your gut feelings about this.
    I agree.
  • genetageneta Member Posts: 23
    I appreciate your understanding. You've got to do what you got to do some times. And many times compromise is the art of staying married, almost 13 years and counting! I'll be keeping up with the long term reliability of the Maxx and how folks enjoy their vehicles. See you all on the highway!
    You're right again - compromise is the only way to stay happily married.... we're going to celebrate 34 years in August, so this is something I know something about. Now about cars, eh...
    At local Honda dealers I could have bought any '04 Honda Accord I wanted for less than invoice, so I don't think the dealer lost money on geneta's purchase.
    The truth is the Maxx offers better value, design, and quality than the tired Japanese offerings. It's too bad you couldn't have just found a better Chevy dealer as I had to do. Luckily, I found a highway dealer that takes pride in their super-service as well as lowest price.
    Who knows, next go-round they may have made even more improvements to the Maxx? That dealer might change ownership (or at least management) by then.

-juice
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    These so called boring Camcords are taking Chevy to the cleaners. Let's see Camry 225 Hp, Accord 240Hp, Malibu 200 Hp. 0 to 60 Camry 7 seconds, Accord 6.5 seconds, Malibu 7.8 seconds. The rear end of the Malibu looks like it has been borrowed from the Hyundai Accent. The headlights look just like that of the Toyota Sienna. As for selling below invoice, nobody can beat Chevy in that game. I have seen 4 cylinder Malibus advertised as low as $9800 and V6 versions as low as 17grand. As far as quality goes, Camry and Accord have a proven track record while Malibu's record is spotty at best. The jury is still out on the 04 versions.
    I've seen Accords at about 7 flat, and Camrys about the same as the Malibu. C&D had a Camry and Malibu in the same issue and the 'bu was quicker.

Also, you list horsepower, but not torque. The Malibu actually has more torque than the Accord.

Finally, you also didn't mention has mileage, there the Malibu is #1. CR actually said it was more efficient than the Accord and Camry *four* clyinders.

When you look at the whole picture, there's not much to complain about with the drivetrain.

-juice
    Well, the General did it again! The insurance institute conducted low speed bumper crash tests on mid-sized family sedans, and guess what.... our Malibu failed with flying colors. Both the 'Bu and the Acura TSX were rated POOR with almost $4K in damage from the 4 low speed tests. Go to www.highwaysafety.org to see the results. Guess what this will do to resale value??? GM brass has responded that they are going to redesign the Malibu bumpers as a result of these tests to improve the car's ratings. As current owners this does nothing for us! HOW ABOUT A RETROFIT FOR US!!!!
    I'd think GM would issue a voucher saying that you can get $5000 off the purchase of a new 2005 Malibu with better bumpers.
    This website is infested with GM-haters and hand-wringers who complain about everything. Its funny that those with usernames that refer to Detroit are so pro-import and those that refer to GM brands are completely negative in attitude to those brands.
    Who ever bought a car because the bumpers were effective? They would be so ugly no one would want to be seen in it. If a company can combine utility with styling that would be something to brag about.
    Anyway, the leather and ultra-suede interior of my Maxx amazed and impressed the owner of the local car wash, where Jaguars are a dime a dozen. The look and feel of the materials and the comfort and utility of the seating in my LT are ideal for transporting four adults in limousine comfort in a compact package.
    I stuck with Chevy after my 80 Citation had several faults and have never been sorry. Even that car with 130k miles went to two guys who wanted to restore it to original, as weird as that sounds. Its mostly an emotional attachment, I guess, but I also think I have been well served by the brand through three purchases over 25 years..
    Anyway, each driver should check out the Maxx for herself or himself rather than relying on what is written by someone with an agenda like me or the GM-haters. It is a unique new product that deserves an inspection before a verdict is voiced.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    My '04 maxx has 1300 miles on it now. A few minor rattles, an odd problem with the rear seats banging into the rear shocktower trim if reclined (some misalignment back there....will see if it can be adjusted)are the only problem so far. Getting around 26 mph with a mix of freeway and indown driving. The front seats pinch a little (a little narrow between the bolsters - I'm not all that big) but are comfortable and highly adjustable. Was called by Chevy as a survey thingf.
    I am anything but an American car basher. I've been driving American cars for most of my life, mostly Chyrsler products for the last 14 years. My '92 Saturn was a dream. It just irks me that a corporation as big as GM can design such a fantastic interior, squeeze great mileage out of an engine, and then ignore any quality engineering when it comes to the bumpers. And then to say.... well, we made a mistake and we'll redesign them to improve crashworthiness" when the tests come out. Where were the engineers during the initial design phase???